Chapter 190 The Gnat and the Lion(虻子和狮子).jpg

A GNAT came and said to a Lion, “I do not in the least fear you, nor are you stronger than I am. —
一只蚊子飞来对狮子说:“我一点也不怕你,你也不比我强大。 —

For in what does your strength consist? —
因为你的力量在哪里呢? —

You can scratch with your claws and bite with your teeth an a woman in her quarrels. —
你只会用爪子挠人,用牙齿咬人,在妇女争吵时。 —

I repeat that I am altogether more powerful than you; —
我再次声明,我比你更强大; —

and if you doubt it, let us fight and see who will conquer. —
如果你怀疑,让我们战斗,看看谁会胜利。 —

” The Gnat, having sounded his horn, fastened himself upon the Lion and stung him on the nostrils and the parts of the face devoid of hair. —
蚊子吹响了他的喇叭,扎在狮子的鼻孔和脸上无毛的部位上刺他。 —

While trying to crush him, the Lion tore himself with his claws, until he punished himself severely. —
狮子试图压死蚊子,结果用爪子抓伤了自己,给自己严重的惩罚。” —

The Gnat thus prevailed over the Lion, and, buzzing about in a song of triumph, flew away. —
小飞虫这样战胜了狮子,嗡嗡唱着凯旋之歌,飞走了。 —

But shortly afterwards he became entangled in the meshes of a cobweb and was eaten by a spider. —
但没过多久,它被一张蜘蛛网纠缠住,最终被蜘蛛吃掉了。 —

He greatly lamented his fate, saying, “Woe is me! —
它非常悲叹自己的命运,说道:“哀哉!我这个能够成功与最巨大的野兽战斗的家伙,竟因这最微不足道的昆虫——蜘蛛而灭亡!” —

that I, who can wage war successfully with the hugest beasts, should perish myself from this spider, the most inconsiderable of insects!”
他大声称赞自己的胜利,却没有看到自己危险的未来。