Chapter 136 The Birdcatcher, the Partridge, and the Cock(捕鸟人、鹧鸪和公鸡).jpg

A BIRDCATCHER was about to sit down to a dinner of herbs when a friend unexpectedly came in. —
一个捕鸟人刚准备坐下来吃一顿青菜,这时一个朋友突然走了进来。 —

The bird-trap was quite empty, as he had caught nothing, and he had to kill a pied Partridge, which he had tamed for a decoy. —
捕鸟人的捕鸟器是空的,因为他什么也没抓到,他不得不杀死了一只已经被他驯化成诱饵的杂色山鹑。 —

The bird entreated earnestly for his life: —
鸟恳求他饶命: —

“What would you do without me when next you spread your nets? —
“下次你张网的时候,没有我该怎么办? —

Who would chirp you to sleep, or call for you the covey of answering birds? —
谁会给你叫鸟儿们就寝,或者呼唤它们回应呢? —

’ The Birdcatcher spared his life, and determined to pick out a fine young Cock just attaining to his comb. —
捕鸟人原谅了他,并决定选择一只正在长鸡冠的好鸡。 —

But the Cock expostulated in piteous tones from his perch: —
但是那只公鸡从架子上用可怜的声音辩解说: —

“If you kill me, who will announce to you the appearance of the dawn? —
“如果你杀了我,谁会告诉你黎明的出现呢? —

Who will wake you to your daily tasks or tell you when it is time to visit the bird-trap in the morning? —
谁会叫醒你去做日常工作,或者告诉你何时去早上检查鸟网呢? —

’ He replied, “What you say is true. —
他回答说:“你说得对。 —

You are a capital bird at telling the time of day. —
你的确是一个善于报时的好鸟。 —

But my friend and I must have our dinners.”
但是我和我的朋友还是要吃晚餐。”

Necessity knows no law.
需要无法违背法律。