“JUST A WORTHLESS TRAMP.”
“只是一个毫无价值的妓女。”

Nekhludoff stood on the edge of the raft looking at the broad river. —
涅赫留多夫站在木排边缘,看着宽阔的河流。 —

Two pictures kept rising up in his mind. —
他脑海中不断浮现着两幅画面。 —

One, that of Kryltzoff, unprepared for death and dying, made a heavy, sorrowful impression on him. —
一幅是克鲁采夫,毫无准备地面对死亡,给他留下沉重、悲伤的印象。 —

The other, that of Katusha, full of energy, having gained the love of such a man as Simonson, and found a true and solid path towards righteousness, should have been pleasant, yet it also created a heavy impression on Nekhludoff’s mind, and he could not conquer this impression.
另一幅是卡彼的画面,充满活力,赢得了西蒙松的爱,找到了一条真实、坚实通向正义的道路,本应是令人愉快的,但也让涅赫留多夫心情沉重,无法摆脱这种印象。

The vibrating sounds of a big brass bell reached them from the town. —
从镇上传来了一声大铜钟的回响声。 —

Nekhludoff’s driver, who stood by his side, and the other men on the raft raised their caps and crossed themselves, all except a short, dishevelled old man, who stood close to the railway and whom Nekhludoff had not noticed before. —
涅赫留多夫的驾驶员站在他身边,木排上的其他人都拿起帽子,交叉着胸,除了一个站在铁路边上的矮个子、头发蓬乱的老人,涅赫留多夫之前没有注意到他。 —

He did not cross himself, but raised his head and looked at Nekhludoff. —
他没有交叉胸,而是抬起头看着涅赫留多夫。 —

This old man wore a patched coat, cloth trousers and worn and patched shoes. —
这位老人穿着打着补丁的外套,布裤子和磨损破旧的鞋子。 —

He had a small wallet on his back, and a high fur cap with the fur much rubbed on his head.
他背着一个小皮包,头上戴着一顶毛皮帽子,帽子的毛非常磨损。

“Why don’t you pray, old chap?” asked Nekhludoff’s driver as he replaced and straightened his cap. —
“老哥,为什么不祈祷?”涅赫留多夫的驾驶员重新戴好、整理帽子,问道。 —

“Are you unbaptized?”
“难道你没有受洗吗?”

“Who’s one to pray to?” asked the old man quickly, in a determinately aggressive tone.
“祈祷给谁?”,老人迅速地、决绝地敌意地问道。

“To whom? To God, of course,” said the driver sarcastically.
“当然是给上帝啊”,驾驶员讽刺地说。

“And you just show me where he is, that god.” —
“你就告诉我,那个神在哪里。” —

There was something so serious and firm in the expression of the old man, that the driver felt that he had to do with a strong-minded man, and was a bit abashed. —
老人的表情显得非常严肃和坚定,司机感到他在面对一个意志坚定的人,有点局促不安。 —

And trying not to show this, not to be silenced, and not to be put to shame before the crowd that was observing them, he answered quickly.
试图不显示出来,不受制止,也不想在围观的人群面前感到羞愧,他迅速回答道。

“Where? In heaven, of course.”
“哪里?当然是在天堂里。”

“And have you been up there?”
“你去过那儿吗?”

“Whether I’ve been or not, every one knows that you must pray to God.”
“无论我去过与否,每个人都知道你必须向上帝祷告。”

“No one has ever seen God at any time. The only begotten Son who is in the bosom of the Father he hath declared him,” said the old man in the same rapid manner, and with a severe frown on his brow.
“从来没有人在任何时候看见过上帝。独生子在父怀中的,将他表明出来,”老人同样迅速地说,额头皱着严厉的皱纹。

“It’s clear you are not a Christian, but a hole worshipper. —
“很显然你不是基督徒,而是一个拜洞穴的人。 —

You pray to a hole,” said the driver, shoving the handle of his whip into his girdle, pulling straight the harness on one of the horses.
“你祷告一个洞穴,”司机说着,把鞭子的把手塞进腰带里,拉直了一匹马的挽具。

Some one laughed.
有人笑了起来。

“What is your faith, Dad?” asked a middle-aged man, who stood by his cart on the same side of the raft.
“爸爸,你信仰什么?”一个站在码头上的中年人问道。

“I have no kind of faith, because I believe no one–no one but myself,” said the old man as quickly and decidedly as before.
“我没有任何信仰,因为我除了我自己谁也不相信,”老人像之前一样迅速而坚决地说道。

“How can you believe yourself?” Nekhludoff asked, entering into a conversation with him. —
尼赫鲁多夫与他开始交谈。 —

“You might make a mistake.”
“你可能会犯错”。

“Never in your life,” the old man said decidedly, with a toss of his head.
“你一生中从未犯过错误,”老人断然地说着,扬起头。

“Then why are there different faiths?” Nekhludoff asked.
“那为什么会有不同的信仰呢?”涅赫鲁多夫问道。

“It’s just because men believe others and do not believe themselves that there are different faiths. —
“只因为人们相信别人而不相信自己,所以才会有不同的信仰。” —

I also believed others, and lost myself as in a swamp,–lost myself so that I had no hope of finding my way out. —
“我也曾相信别人,迷失在沼泽中,–迷失了自我,以至于没有希望找到出路。” —

Old believers and new believers and Judaisers and Khlysty and Popovitzy, and Bespopovitzy and Avstriaks and Molokans and Skoptzy–every faith praises itself only, and so they all creep about like blind puppies. —
“旧信徒和新信徒、犹太教徒、克里斯蒂派、波波沃派、阿夫剌克派、摩洛卡派、割礼派–每种信仰都只赞美自己,所以它们都像瞎小狗一样四处乱窜。” —

There are many faiths, but the spirit is one–in me and in you and in him. —
“信仰有很多种,但精神是一致的–在我身上,也在你身上,还有在他身上。” —

So that if every one believes himself all will he united. —
“所以如果每个人都相信自己,一切都会合而为一。” —

Every one he himself, and all will be as one.”
“每个人都是他自己,所有人都将合而为一。”

The old man spoke loudly and often looked round, evidently wishing that as many as possible should hear him.
“老人声音洪亮,经常四处张望,显然希望尽可能多的人听到他说的话。”

“And have you long held this faith?”
“你信仰这个念头多久了?”

“I? A long time. This is the twenty-third year that they persecute me.”
“我?很久了。他们迫害我的时间已经是第二十三年了。”

“Persecute you? How?”
“他们迫害你?怎么迫害?”

“As they persecuted Christ, so they persecute me. —
“他们像迫害基督一样迫害我。” —

They seize me, and take me before the courts and before the priests, the Scribes and the Pharisees. —
“他们抓捕我,带我去法庭和祭司、文士和法利赛人面前。” —

Once they put me into a madhouse; but they can do nothing because I am free. —
“有一次他们把我关进疯人院;但他们什么也做不了,因为我是自由的。” —

They say, ‘What is your name?’ thinking I shall name myself. But I do not give myself a name. —
“他们问:‘你叫什么名字?’ 他们以为我会报出自己的名字。但我不给自己一个名字。” —

I have given up everything: I have no name, no place, no country, nor anything. I am just myself. —
“我放弃了一切:我没有名字,没有地方,没有国家,也没有任何东西。我只是我自己。” —

‘What is your name?’ ‘Man.’ ‘How old are you?’ —
‘你叫什么名字?’ ‘男士。’ ‘你多大了?’ —

I say, ‘I do not count my years and cannot count them, because I always was, I always shall be.’ —
我说:“我不数我的岁月,也数不清它们,因为我一直存在,我永远存在。” —

‘Who are your parents?’ ‘I have no parents except God and Mother Earth. God is my father.’ —
“你的父母是谁?” “除了上帝和大地之母,我没有父母。上帝是我的父亲。” —

‘And the Tsar? Do you recognise the Tsar?’ they say. I say, ‘Why not? —
“沙皇呢?你承认沙皇吗?” 他们问道。我说:“为什么不承认呢? 他是他自己的沙皇,我是我自己的沙皇。” —

He is his own Tsar, and I am my own Tsar.’ ‘Where’s the good of talking to him,’ they say, and I say, ‘I do not ask you to talk to me.’ —
“和他说话有何好处呢?” 他们说。我说:“我并没有要求你们和我说话。” —

And so they begin tormenting me.”
“于是他们开始折磨我。”

“And where are you going now?” asked Nekhludoff.
“你现在要去哪里?” 尼赫鲁多夫问道。

“Where God will lead me. I work when I can find work, and when I can’t I beg.” —
“去上帝引领的地方。 我有工作的时候就工作,没有工作的时候就乞讨。” —

The old man noticed that the raft was approaching the bank and stopped, looking round at the bystanders with a look of triumph.
老人注意到筏子正要靠岸,停了下来,带着胜利的表情向围观的人们看了看。

Nekhludoff got out his purse and offered some money to the old man, but he refused, saying:
尼赫鲁多夫拿出钱包向老人递钱,但他拒绝说:

“I do not accept this sort of thing–bread I do accept.”
“我不接受这种东西——面包我会接受。”

“Well, then, excuse me.”
“那么,请原谅我。”

“There is nothing to excuse, you have not offended me. And it is not possible to offend me.” —
“不需要原谅,你并没有冒犯我。对我来说也无法被冒犯。” —

And the old man put the wallet he had taken off again on his back. —
老人将取下来的钱包又背在身上。 —

Meanwhile, the post-cart had been landed and the horses harnessed.
与此同时,驿站马车已经靠岸,马匹已经套好了。

“I wonder you should care to talk to him, sir,” said the driver, when Nekhludoff, having tipped the bowing ferryman, got into the cart again. —
“先生,我很惊讶您愿意和他说话,”当尼赫鲁多夫给鞠躬的渡船夫小费后再次坐回马车时,驾驶员说道。 —

“He is just a worthless tramp.”
“他只是一个毫无价值的流浪汉。”