THE TRIAL–MASLOVA CROSS-EXAMINED.
案件审讯–马斯洛娃被质询。

When the reading of the indictment was over, the president, after having consulted the members, turned to Kartinkin, with an expression that plainly said: —
当宣读起诉书结束后,庭长在与成员们商议之后,转向卡尔廷金,表情清晰地显示: —

Now we shall find out the whole truth down to the minutest detail.
现在我们将会彻底了解真相,直至细微之处。

“Peasant Simeon Kartinkin,” he said, stooping to the left.
“农民西蒙·卡尔廷金,请你向左倾斜。”

Simeon Kartinkin got up, stretched his arms down his sides, and leaning forward with his whole body, continued moving his cheeks inaudibly.
西蒙·卡尔廷金站起来,伸展双臂,全身倾斜向前,无声地扭动双颊。

“You are accused of having on the 17th January, 188–, together with Euphemia Botchkova and Katerina Maslova, stolen money from a portmanteau belonging to the merchant Smelkoff, and then, having procured some arsenic, persuaded Katerina Maslova to give it to the merchant Smelkoff in a glass of brandy, which was the cause of Smelkoff’s death. —
“你被指控于188年1月17日,与尤菲米娅·波切科娃和卡捷琳娜·马斯洛娃一起,从商人斯梅尔科夫的衣橱中偷走钱款,然后购买砒霜,说服卡捷琳娜·马斯洛娃将其放入一杯白兰地中给斯梅尔科夫,导致他死亡。 —

Do you plead guilty?” said the president, stooping to the right.
你承认有罪吗?”庭长向右倾斜说。

“Not nohow, because our business is to attend on the lodgers, and–”
“绝对不可能,因为我们的工作是照顾住客,还有–”

“You’ll tell us that afterwards. Do you plead guilty?”
“你以后再告诉我们。你认罪吗?”

“Oh, no, sir. I only,–”
“哦,不,先生。我只是–”

“You’ll tell us that afterwards. Do you plead guilty?” quietly and firmly asked the president.
“你以后再告诉我们。你认罪吗?”主席安静而坚定地问道。

“Can’t do such a thing, because that–”
“做不到这种事,因为那–”

The usher again rushed up to Simeon Kartinkin, and stopped him in a tragic whisper.
接待员再次冲到西米昂·卡尔廷金面前,用戏剧性的耳语制止了他。

The president moved the hand with which he held the paper and placed the elbow in a different position with an air that said: —
主席移动了拿着纸的手并摆放了手肘,一副表现出“事情办完了”的样子,并转向尤菲米娅·博特柯娃。 —

“This is finished,” and turned to Euphemia Botchkova.
“这段结束了”,然后转向尤菲米娅·博特柯娃。

“Euphemia Botchkova, you are accused of having, on the 17th of January, 188-, in the lodging-house Mauritania, together with Simeon Kartinkin and Katerina Maslova, stolen some money and a ring out of the merchant Smelkoff’s portmanteau, and having shared the money among yourselves, given poison to the merchant Smelkoff, thereby causing his death. —
“尤菲米娅·博特柯娃,你被控于188年1月17日在莫里塔尼亚旅馆与西米昂·卡尔廷金和卡捷琳娜·马斯洛娃一起,偷走了商人斯梅尔科夫的皮箱里的一些钱和一枚戒指,并且把钱均分,给商人斯梅尔科夫喂毒,导致他死亡。 —

Do you plead guilty?”
你认罪吗?”

“I am not guilty of anything,” boldly and firmly replied the prisoner. —
“我什么都没有做错”,犯人大胆而坚定地回答道。 —

“I never went near the room, but when this baggage went in she did the whole business.”
“我根本没进过那间房间,但是那个傻瓜进去后全都是她搞的。”

“You will say all this afterwards,” the president again said, quietly and firmly. —
“你以后会说这些的”,主席再次平静而坚定地说道。 —

“So you do not plead guilty?”
“所以你不认罪?”

“I did not take the money nor give the drink, nor go into the room. —
“我没有拿走钱,也没有喂毒,也没有进那个房间。” —

Had I gone in I should have kicked her out.”
我要是进去了,就应该把她踢出去。

“So you do not plead guilty?”
“那么你不认罪吗?”

“Never.”
“绝不认罪。”

“Very well.”
“好吧。”

“Katerina Maslova,” the president began, turning to the third prisoner, “you are accused of having come from the brothel with the key of the merchant Smelkoff’s portmanteau, money, and a ring.” —
“凯特琳娜·马斯洛娃,” 庭长转向第三名囚犯开始说道,“你被控与商人斯梅尔科夫的手提箱、钱和一枚戒指一同从妓院出来。” —

He said all this like a lesson learned by heart, leaning towards the member on his left, who was whispering into his car that a bottle mentioned in the list of the material evidence was missing. —
他像背课文一样说话,向左边的成员靠近,他在耳边轻声说起物证清单中提到的一瓶子不见了。 —

“Of having stolen out of the portmanteau money and a ring,” he repeated, “and shared it. —
“说你从手提箱里偷了钱和戒指,并与他分享。 —

Then, returning to the lodging house Mauritania with Smelkoff, of giving him poison in his drink, and thereby causing his death. —
然后,与斯梅尔科夫回到莫里塔尼亚旅馆后,往他的饮料里放了毒药,导致他死亡。 —

Do you plead guilty?”
你认罪吗?”

“I am not guilty of anything,” she began rapidly. —
“我什么也没做,” 她迅速回答。 —

“As I said before I say again, I did not take it–I did not take it; —
“我之前说过,我再说一遍,我什么也没有拿–我没有拿任何东西; —

I did not take anything, and the ring he gave me himself.”
我什么都没有拿,戒指是他自己给我的.”

“You do not plead guilty of having stolen 2,500 roubles?” asked the president.
“你不承认偷了2,500卢布吗?” 庭长问。

“I’ve said I took nothing but the 40 roubles.”
“我说过我只拿了40卢布.”

“Well, and do you plead guilty of having given the merchant Smelkoff a powder in his drink?”
“那么,你承认在商人斯梅尔科夫的饮料里放了粉末?”

“Yes, that I did. Only I believed what they told me, that they were sleeping powders, and that no harm could come of them. —
“是的,我这样做了。只是我相信他们告诉我的,说那是安眠药,不会有任何危险。 —

I never thought, and never wished… God is my witness; —
我从未想过,也从未希望过……上帝作证; —

I say, I never meant this,” she said.
“我说,我从未有过这个意思,”她说。

“So you do not plead guilty of having stolen the money and the ring from the merchant Smelkoff, but confess that you gave him the powder?” —
“你并不认罪,说你从商人斯梅尔科夫那里偷走钱和戒指,而承认你给了他这种药粉?” —

said the president.
总统说。

“Well, yes, I do confess this, but I thought they were sleeping powders. —
“嗯,是的,我承认了,但我以为那是安眠药。 —

I only gave them to make him sleep; I never meant and never thought of worse.”
我只是想让他睡着;我从未有恶意,也从未想到更糟。”

“Very well,” said the president, evidently satisfied with the results gained. —
“很好,”总统显然对所获得的结果感到满意。 —

“Now tell us how it all happened,” and he leaned back in his chair and put his folded hands on the table. —
“现在告诉我们发生了什么,”他往椅子上一靠,把双手交叠放在桌子上。 —

“Tell us all about it. A free and full confession will be to your advantage.”
“告诉我们都发生了什么。自由而彻底的招认对你有好处。”

Maslova continued to look at the president in silence, and blushing.
马斯洛娃继续沉默地看着总统,脸红了。

“Tell us how it happened.”
“告诉我们怎么发生的。”

“How it happened?” Maslova suddenly began, speaking quickly. —
“怎么发生的?”马斯洛娃突然开始,说得很快。 —

“I came to the lodging-house, and was shown into the room. He was there, already very drunk.” —
“我来到旅馆,被领进房间。他在那里,已经喝得很醉了。” —

She pronounced the word he with a look of horror in her wide-open eyes. —
她说完“他”这个词时,满眼震惊地看着。 —

“I wished to go away, but he would not let me.” —
“我想离开,但他不让我走。” —

She stopped, as if having lost the thread, or remembered some thing else.
她停下来,好像忘记了线索,或者想起了别的事情。

“Well, and then?”
“嗯,然后呢?”

“Well, what then? I remained a bit, and went home again.”
“嗯,然后呢?我留了一会儿,又回家了。”

At this moment the public prosecutor raised himself a little, leaning on one elbow in an awkward manner.
这时,检察官有点抬起身子,用一只手肘支撑着,显得有些笨拙。

“You would like to put a question?” said the president, and having received an answer in the affirmative, he made a gesture inviting the public prosecutor to speak.
“你想要提个问题吗?”法官说道,得到肯定答复后,他做了一个手势,邀请检察官发言。

“I want to ask, was the prisoner previously acquainted with Simeon Kartinkin?” —
“我想问,被告以前是否与西美昂·卡尔廷金认识?” —

said the public prosecutor, without looking at Maslova, and, having put the question, he compressed his lips and frowned.
检察官说,他没有看着马斯洛娃,提出问题后,他紧了紧嘴唇,皱起了眉头。

The president repeated the question. Maslova stared at the public prosecutor, with a frightened look.
法官重复了问题。马斯洛娃用恐惧的眼神盯着检察官。

“With Simeon? Yes,” she said.
“和西米昂?是的,“她说。

“I should like to know what the prisoner’s acquaintance with Kartinkin consisted in. —
“我想知道犯人和卡尔廷金的熟识是怎么回事。 —

Did they meet often?”
他们经常见面吗?”

“Consisted in? … He invited me for the lodgers; —
“熟识?…他请我给住店的客人; —

it was not an acquaintance at all,” answered Maslova, anxiously moving her eyes from the president to the public prosecutor and back to the president.
根本算不上认识,“马斯洛娃焦虑地将眼睛从法官移至检察官,然后又回到法官身上。

“I should like to know why Kartinkin invited only Maslova, and none of the other girls, for the lodgers?” —
“我很想知道为什么卡尔廷金只邀请了马斯洛娃,而没有邀请其他女孩来作为住客?” —

said the public prosecutor, with half-closed eyes and a cunning, Mephistophelian smile.
检察官半闭着眼睛,带着狡猾、魔鬼般的微笑说道。

“I don’t know. How should I know?” said Maslova, casting a frightened look round, and fixing her eyes for a moment on Nekhludoff. —
“我不知道。我怎么会知道?”马斯洛娃说着,环顾四周,一瞬间把目光停在涅赫鲁多夫身上。 —

“He asked whom he liked.”
“他喜欢谁就邀请谁。”

“Is it possible that she has recognised me?” thought Nekhludoff, and the blood rushed to his face. —
“她可能认出了我吗?”涅赫鲁多夫心想着,脸上涌起了血色。 —

But Maslova turned away without distinguishing him from the others, and again fixed her eyes anxiously on the public prosecutor.
但马斯洛娃转过头,未能将他与其他人区分开,并再次焦急地盯着公诉官。

“So the prisoner denies having had any intimate relations with Kartinkin? —
“那么被告否认与卡尔廷金有过亲密关系?” —

Very well, I have no more questions to ask.”
“好吧,我没有更多问题要问了。”

And the public prosecutor took his elbow off the desk, and began writing something. —
公诉官将手肘从桌上拿开,开始写一些东西。 —

He was not really noting anything down, but only going over the letters of his notes with a pen, having seen the procureur and leading advocates, after putting a clever question, make a note, with which, later on, to annihilate their adversaries.
实际上他并没有记录任何内容,只是在用笔在他的笔记上划过字母,之后他见过检察官和顶级律师,在提出一个聪明的问题后,做个笔记,以后用来击败对手。

The president did not continue at once, because he was consulting the member with the spectacles, whether he was agreed that the questions (which had all been prepared be forehand and written out) should be put.
主席没有立即继续,因为他正在与戴眼镜的成员商议,是否同意提出之前准备好并写在纸上的问题。

“Well! What happened next?” he then went on.
“那么!接下来发生了什么?”然后他继续说道。

“I came home,” looking a little more boldly only at the president, “and went to bed. —
“我回家了,”她更加大胆地只看着主席说道,“然后上床睡觉了。 —

Hardly had I fallen asleep when one of our girls, Bertha, woke me. —
我刚刚入睡时,我们其中一个女孩,柏莎,把我叫醒了。 —

‘Go, your merchant has come again!’ He”–she again uttered the word he with evident horror– “he kept treating our girls, and then wanted to send for more wine, but his money was all gone, and he sent me to his lodgings and told me where the money was, and how much to take. So I went.”
‘走,你的商人又来了!’他”–她再次带着明显的恐惧说“他不停地招待我们女孩,然后想要再叫些酒,但他的钱用光了,他派我去他的住处,告诉我钱在哪里,要拿多少。所以我就去了。”

The president was whispering to the member on his left, but, in order to appear as if he had heard, he repeated her last words.
总统对他左边的成员低声说话,但为了显得听到了,他重复了她最后说的话。

“So you went. Well, what next?”
“所以你去了。那么,接下来呢?”

“I went, and did all he told me; went into his room. —
“我去了,做了他告诉我的一切;走进他的房间。” —

I did not go alone, but called Simeon Kartinkin and her,” she said, pointing to Botchkova.
我不是一个人去的,而是叫了西蒙·卡尔廷金和她,”她说着,指向波特楚科娃。

“That’s a lie; I never went in,” Botchkova began, but was stopped.
“那是谎言;我从来没有进去过,”波特楚科娃开始说,但被打断了。

“In their presence I took out four notes,” continued Maslova, frowning, without looking at Botchkova.
马斯洛娃继续说:“在他们面前,我拿出了四张钞票”,皱着眉头,没有看着波特楚科娃。

“Yes, but did the prisoner notice,” again asked the prosecutor, “how much money there was when she was getting out the 40 roubles?”
“是的,但被告在取出40卢布时有没有注意到?”检察官再次问道。

Maslova shuddered when the prosecutor addressed her; —
当检察官对她发言时,马斯洛娃颤抖了; —

she did not know why it was, but she felt that he wished her evil.
她不知道为什么,但她感到他对她有恶意。

“I did not count it, but only saw some 100-rouble notes.”
“我没有数,只看到了几张100卢布的钞票。”

“Ah! The prisoner saw 100-rouble notes. That’s all?”
“啊!被告看到了100卢布的钞票。就这些了吗?”

“Well, so you brought back the money,” continued the president, looking at the clock.
“好的,那么你把钱带回来了,”总统继续说着,看着时钟。

“I did.”
“我带回来了。”

“Well, and then?”
“好,然后呢?”

“Then he took me back with him,” said Maslova.
“然后他带我回去了”,马斯洛娃说道。

“Well, and how did you give him the powder? In his drink?”
“好了,你是怎样给他那些粉末的?放在他的饮料里?”

“How did I give it? I put them in and gave it him.”
“我是怎么给的?我把它们放进去,然后给了他。”

“Why did you give it him?”
“你为什么给他?”

She did not answer, but sighed deeply and heavily.
她没有回答,但深深地叹了口气。

“He would not let me go,” she said, after a moment’s silence, “and I was quite tired out, and so I went out into the passage and said to Simeon, ‘If he would only let me go, I am so tired.’ —
“他不让我走,”她沉默片刻后说,”我已经累得筋疲力尽了,于是我走出去对西蒙说:’如果他能让我走,我太累了。’ —

And he said, ‘We are also sick of him; we were thinking of giving him a sleeping draught; —
他说,’我们也受够了他;我们正在考虑给他一剂安眠药; —

he will fall asleep, and then you can go.’ So I said all right. —
他会睡着的,然后你就可以走了。’所以我说好的。 —

I thought they were harmless, and he gave me the packet. I went in. —
我以为它们是无害的,他递给了我那份药。我进去了。 —

He was lying behind the partition, and at once called for brandy. —
他躺在隔断后面,立刻叫来白兰地。 —

I took a bottle of ‘fine champagne’ from the table, poured out two glasses, one for him and one for myself, and put the powders into his glass, and gave it him. —
我从桌子上拿了一瓶’优质香槟’,倒出两杯,一杯给他,一杯给我自己,然后把粉末放进他的杯子里,递给了他。 —

Had I known how could I have given them to him?”
要是我知道的话,我怎么能给他呢?”

“Well, and how did the ring come into your possession?” —
“好了,戒指是怎么到你手里的?” —

asked the president. “When did he give it you?”
总统问道,”他什么时候给你的?”

“That was when we came back to his lodgings. —
“那是我们回到他的住所时。 —

I wanted to go away, and he gave me a knock on the head and broke my comb. —
我想走开,他却一下打在了我的头上,弄断了我的梳子。 —

I got angry and said I’d go away, and he took the ring off his finger and gave it to me so that I should not go,” she said.
“我生气说要离开,他就从手指上取下戒指给了我,让我别走。”她说。

Then the public prosecutor again slightly raised himself, and, putting on an air of simplicity, asked permission to put a few more questions, and, having received it, bending his head over his embroidered collar, he said: —
接着,公诉人又微微抬起头,装出一副简单的样子,请求许可再问几个问题,得到允许后,他低头看着自己的刺绣衣领,说道: —

“I should like to know how long the prisoner remained in the merchant Smelkoff’s room.”
“我想知道犯人待在商人斯梅尔科夫的房间里多久。”

Maslova again seemed frightened, and she again looked anxiously from the public prosecutor to the president, and said hurriedly:
马斯洛娃再次看起来害怕,她又焦急地从公诉人看向主席,急忙说道:

“I do not remember how long.”
“我不记得待了多久。”

“Yes, but does the prisoner remember if she went anywhere else in the lodging-house after she left Smelkoff?”
“是的,但是犯人记得她离开斯梅尔科夫之后是否去过其他房间吗?”

Maslova considered for a moment. “Yes, I did go into an empty room next to his.”
马斯洛娃考虑了一会儿。“是的,我去了他隔壁的一个空房。”

“Yes, and why did you go in?” asked the public prosecutor, forgetting himself, and addressing her directly.
“是的,你为什么进去?”公诉人忘记自己的身份,直接问道。

“I went in to rest a bit, and to wait for an isvostchik.”
“我进去休息了一会儿,等着租辆马车。”

“And was Kartinkin in the room with the prisoner, or not?”
“犯人和卡尔廷金在房间里吗,还是不在?”

“He came in.”
“他进来了。”

“Why did he come in?”
“他为什么进来?”

“There was some of the merchant’s brandy left, and we finished it together.”
“商人的白兰地还有点剩,我们一起喝完了。”

“Oh, finished it together. Very well! And did the prisoner talk to Kartinkin, and, if so, what about?”
“喝完了。很好!犯人和卡尔廷金交谈了吗,如果有的话,是关于什么?”

Maslova suddenly frowned, blushed very red, and said, hurriedly, “What about? —
马斯洛娃突然皱起了眉头,脸涨得通红,匆忙地说:“关于什么?” —

I did not talk about anything, and that’s all I know. —
我什么都没说,这就是我知道的全部。 —

Do what you like with me; I am not guilty, and that’s all.”
你们想怎么对待我都行;我不是有罪的,就这样。

“I have nothing more to ask,” said the prosecutor, and, drawing up his shoulders in an unnatural manner, began writing down, as the prisoner’s own evidence, in the notes for his speech, that she had been in the empty room with Kartinkin.
“我没有更多问题要问了,”检察官说道,然后莫名其妙地耸了耸肩,开始在演讲的笔记里写下,说她和卡尔廷金在空房间里。

There was a short silence.
有了一阵短暂的沉默。

“You have nothing more to say?”
“你没有别的话要说吗?”

“I have told everything,” she said, with a sigh, and sat down.
“我已经说了一切,”她叹了口气说,然后坐了下来。

Then the president noted something down, and, having listened to something that the member on his left whispered to him, he announced a ten-minutes’ interval, rose hurriedly, and left the court. —
于是法庭上出现了短暂的寂静。 —

The communication he had received from the tall, bearded member with the kindly eyes was that the member, having felt a slight stomach derangement, wished to do a little massage and to take some drops. —
“你们没别的要说的了吗?” —

And this was why an interval was made.
“我已经讲了一切,”她说完后又叹了口气。

When the judges had risen, the advocates, the jury, and the witnesses also rose, with the pleasant feeling that part of the business was finished, and began moving in different directions.
这时,庭长记下了一些东西,随后,听了左边的一名成员低声说的话后,他宣布休息十分钟,匆匆站起离开了法庭。

Nekhludoff went into the jury’s room, and sat down by the window.
当法官们站起时,辩护律师、陪审团、证人们也都站了起来,感到部分工作已经完成,并开始各自朝不同的方向走动。


尼赫路多夫走进了陪审团的房间,坐在窗边。


——–