NEKHLUDOFF CONSULTS AN ADVOCATE.
尼哈吕杜夫咨询一位律师。

His conversation with the president and the fresh air quieted Nekhludoff a little. —
他和法院院长的对话以及新鲜空气使尼哈吕杜夫有些平静下来。 —

He now thought that the feelings experienced by him had been exaggerated by the unusual surroundings in which he had spent the whole of the morning, and by that wonderful and startling coincidence. —
他现在觉得自己所经历的感受可能是由于整个上午所处的不寻常环境以及那个奇妙而惊人的巧合而夸大了。 —

Still, it was absolutely necessary to take some steps to lighten Maslova’s fate, and to take them quickly. —
不过,确实有必要采取一些措施来减轻马斯洛娃的命运,并且要尽快采取行动。 —

“Yes, at once! It will be best to find out here in the court where the advocate Fanarin or Mikishin lives.” —
“是的,立即行动!最好先在法庭上找一下律师法纳林或米基辛的住址。” —

These were two well-known advocates whom Nekhludoff called to mind. —
尼哈吕杜夫想起了这两位著名的律师。 —

He returned to the court, took off his overcoat, and went upstairs. —
他返回法庭,脱掉外套,然后上了楼。 —

In the first corridor he met Fanarin himself. —
在第一个走廊里他遇到了法纳林本人。 —

He stopped him, and told him that he was just going to look him up on a matter of business.
他拦住他,并告诉他他只是要找他商量一件事。

Fanarin knew Nekhludoff by sight and name, and said he would be very glad to be of service to him.
法纳林认识涅克卢杜夫的相貌和名字,说他很乐意为他提供帮助。

“Though I am rather tired, still, if your business will not take very long, perhaps you might tell me what it is now. —
“虽然我有些累,但如果你的事情不会花太久的时间,也许你现在就告诉我是什么事情。” —

Will you step in here?” And he led Nekhludoff into a room, probably some judge’s cabinet. —
“你愿意进来吗?”他领着涅克卢杜夫走进了一个房间,可能是某位法官的办公室。 —

They sat down by the table.
他们坐在桌子旁。

“Well, and what is your business?”
“那么,你的事情是什么?”

“First of all, I must ask you to keep the business private. —
“首先,我必须要求您保密这件事务。 —

I do not want it known that I take an interest in the affair.”
我不希望有人知道我对这件事感兴趣。”

“Oh, that of course. Well?”
“哦,当然了。那么呢?”

“I was on the jury to-day, and we have condemned a woman to Siberia, an innocent woman. —
“今天我在陪审团上,我们判了一个无辜的女人下西伯利亚。 —

This bothers me very much.” Nekhludoff, to his own surprise, blushed and became confused. —
这让我很困扰。”涅赫留多夫自己也感到意外,脸红起来,感到有些困惑。 —

Fanarin glanced at him rapidly, and looked down again, listening.
法纳林迅速瞥了他一眼,然后又低头听着。

“Well?”
“那么呢?”

“We have condemned a woman, and I should like to appeal to a higher court.”
“我们判了一个女人,我想向更高一级的法院上诉。”

“To the Senate, you mean,” said Fanarin, correcting him.
“你是指上诉院,”法纳林纠正他说道。

“Yes, and I should like to ask you to take the case in hand.” —
“是的,我想请你处理这个案子。” —

Nekhludoff wanted to get the most difficult part over, and added, “I shall take the costs of the case on myself, whatever they may be.”
涅赫留多夫想要尽快解决最棘手的部分,补充说,“无论费用是多少,我都会承担这个案件的费用。”

“Oh, we shall settle all that,” said the advocate, smiling with condescension at Nekhludoff’s inexperience in these matters. —
“哦,这些我们会安排好的,”辩护律师笑着看着涅赫留多夫在这些事务上不熟练的表现。 —

“What is the case?”
“案情是什么?”

Nekhludoff stated what had happened.
涅赫留多夫说明了发生的事情。

“All right. I shall look the case through to-morrow or the day after–no–better on Thursday. —
“好的。我会在明天或后天过目这个案子–不,更好地在周四。” —

If you will come to me at six o’clock I will give you an answer. —
如果你六点来找我,我会给你一个答复。 —

Well, and now let us go; I have to make a few inquiries here.”
好吧,现在让我们走吧;我这里还有一些询问要做。

Nekhludoff took leave of him and went out. —
内赫卢多夫向他告别,走出了去。 —

This talk with the advocate, and the fact that he had taken measures for Maslova’s defence, quieted him still further. —
与律师的谈话以及他为马斯洛娃辩护所采取的措施使他进一步平静下来。 —

He went out into the street. The weather was beautiful, and he joyfully drew in a long breath of spring air. —
他走出了街道。天气很好,他欣喜地呼吸着春天的空气。 —

He was at once surrounded by isvostchiks offering their services, but he went on foot. —
有一群出租马车司机围绕着他,提供服务,但他选择步行。 —

A whole swarm of pictures and memories of Katusha and his conduct to her began whirling in his brain, and he felt depressed and everything appeared gloomy. —
一大群有关卡秋莎和他对她的行为的画面和回忆在他的脑海中旋转,他感到沮丧,一切都显得阴暗。 —

“No, I shall consider all this later on; —
“不,我要过段时间再考虑这一切; —

I must now get rid of all these disagreeable impressions,” he thought to himself.
我现在必须摆脱所有这些不愉快的印象,”他心里想。

He remembered the Korchagin’s dinner and looked at his watch. —
他想起科尔恰金家的晚宴,看了看手表。 —

It was not yet too late to get there in time. —
还不算太晚,他还有时间赶到那里。 —

He heard the ring of a passing tramcar, ran to catch it, and jumped on. —
他听到一辆电车的铃声,跑过去赶上了,跳了上去。 —

He jumped off again when they got to the market-place, took a good isvostchik, and ten minutes later was at the entrance of the Korchagins’ big house.
他到达市场时又下车了,拦了一辆好的马车,十分钟后来到了科尔恰金家大宅的入口处。