AN ARISTOCRATIC CIRCLE.
一个贵族圈子。

Nekhludoff had four matters to attend to in Petersburg. —
尼赫卢多夫在彼得堡有四件事要处理。 —

The first was the appeal to the Senate in Maslova’s case; —
第一件是在玛斯洛娃案件上向参议院上诉; —

the second, to hand in Theodosia Birukoff’s petition to the committee; —
第二,递交泰奥多西娅·比鲁科夫的请愿书给委员会; —

the third, to comply with Vera Doukhova’s requests–i. —
第三,遵从维拉·杜霍娃的要求–即,尝试让她的朋友舒斯托娃从监狱释放,并获准母亲探望她的儿子在监狱里。 —

e., try to get her friend Shoustova released from prison, and get permission for a mother to visit her son in prison. —
维拉·杜霍娃写信给他提到了这些事,他要去警卫局办理这两个事项,他算作一个。 —

Vera Doukhova had written to him about this, and he was going to the Gendarmerie Office to attend to these two matters, which he counted as one.
维拉·杜霍娃希望他处理这两个事项,他去警卫局办理这两个事项,他算作一个。

The fourth matter he meant to attend to was the case of some sectarians who had been separated from their families and exiled to the Caucasus because they read and discussed the Gospels. —
他打算处理的第四件事情是一些被分裂出家庭并流放到高加索山区的宗教异议者的案件,因为他们阅读和讨论福音。 —

It was not so much to them as to himself he had promised to do all he could to clear up this affair.
他承诺尽全力解决这件事情,不仅是为了他们,也是为了自己。

Since his last visit to Maslennikoff, and especially since he had been in the country, Nekhludoff had not exactly formed a resolution but felt with his whole nature a loathing for that society in which he had lived till then, that society which so carefully hides the sufferings of millions in order to assure ease and pleasure to a small number of people, that the people belonging to this society do not and cannot see these sufferings, nor the cruelty and wickedness of their life. —
自从他上次拜访马斯连尼科夫以来,尤其是在乡村逗留期间,涅赫鲁多夫并没有做出明确的决定,但他全心全意地感到厌恶曾经生活过的那个社会,完全不能容忍隐藏数以百万计人民的痛苦、只为让少数人享受舒适和快乐的社会,这些社会的人民根本不了解这些痛苦,也看不到他们的生活是多么残忍和邪恶。 —

Nekhludoff could no longer move in this society without feeling ill at ease and reproaching himself. And yet all the ties of relationship and friendship, and his own habits, were drawing him back into this society. —
宁并不能理直气壮地在这个社会中行动,反而责备自己。然而,所有的亲情、友谊和自己的习惯都在拉扯着他回到这个社会。 —

Besides, that which alone interested him now, his desire to help Maslova and the other sufferers, made it necessary to ask for help and service from persons belonging to that society, persons whom he not only could not respect, but who often aroused in him indignation and a feeling of contempt.
除此之外,现在唯一让他感兴趣的事情,即帮助莫洛娃和其他遭受苦难的人,让他不得不向属于那个社会的人寻求帮助和服务,而那些人不仅他无法尊重,而且经常引起他的愤怒和轻蔑。

When he came to Petersburg and stopped at his aunt’s–his mother’s sister, the Countess Tcharsky, wife of a former minister–Nekhludoff at once found himself in the very midst of that aristocratic circle which had grown so foreign to him. —
当涅赫鲁多夫来到圣彼得堡并在他的姨妈家住下——他母亲的姐姐,前任部长的夫人——涅赫鲁多夫立即发现自己处于他已经变得陌生的贵族圈子之中。 —

This was very unpleasant, but there was no possibility of getting out of it. —
这很不愉快,但却无法摆脱。 —

To put up at an hotel instead of at his aunt’s house would have been to offend his aunt, and, besides, his aunt had important connections and might be extremely useful in all these matters he meant to attend to.
选择住在旅馆而不是姨妈家会冒犯姨妈,此外,姨妈有重要的人脉关系,对他计划处理的所有事情可能会非常有用。

“What is this I hear about you? All sorts of marvels,” said the Countess Katerina Ivanovna Tcharsky, as she gave him his coffee immediately after his arrival. —
“我听说了些什么,你有各种奇迹,”抵达后,查尔斯基伯爵夫人卡捷琳娜•伊万诺夫娜递给他咖啡说。 —

Vous posez pour un Howard. Helping criminals, going the round of prisons, setting things right.”
“你像霍华德一样。帮助罪犯,走访监狱,整顿事务。”

“Oh, no. I never thought of it.”
“哦,不,我从来没想过。”

“Why not? It is a good thing, only there seems to be some romantic story connected with it. —
“为什么不呢?这是一件好事,只是似乎有一些带有浪漫色彩的故事与之相关。 —

Let us hear all about it.”
让我们听听你的一切。”

Nekhludoff told her the whole truth about his relations to Maslova.
涅赫鲁多夫将他与莫洛娃的关系的全部真相告诉了她。

“Yes, yes, I remember your poor mother telling me about it. —
“是的,是的,我记得你可怜的母亲告诉过我这件事。” —

That was when you were staying with those old women. —
那是你和那些老太太住在一起时。 —

I believe they wished to marry you to their ward (the Countess Katerina Ivanovna had always despised Nekhludoff’s aunts on his father’s side). —
我相信她们希望把你嫁给她们的养女(伊万诺夫娜伯爵一直鄙视涅赫卢杜夫父亲那边的姑姑)。 —

So it’s she. Elle est encore jolie?
所以是她。她还漂亮吗?

Katerina Ivanovna was a strong, bright, energetic, talkative woman of 60. —
卡捷琳娜·伊万诺夫娜是一个60岁的坚强、聪明、精力充沛、健谈的女人。 —

She was tall and very stout, and had a decided black moustache on her lip. —
她身材高大,体态魁梧,上唇上还长着一撇明显的黑胡子。 —

Nekhludoff was fond of her and had even as a child been infected by her energy and mirth.
涅赫卢杜夫很喜欢她,甚至在孩提时代就受到了她的能量和欢乐的感染。

“No, ma tante, that’s at an end. I only wish to help her, because she is innocently accused. —
“不,阿姨,那已经结束了。我只是想帮助她,因为她受到了无辜的指控。 —

I am the cause of it and the cause of her fate being what it is. —
这都是我的错,也是导致她命运如此的原因。 —

I feel it my duty to do all I can for her.”
我觉得这是我的责任,要尽我所能帮助她。”

“But what is this I have heard about your intention of marrying her?”
“但我听说你打算娶她?”

“Yes, it was my intention, but she does not wish it.”
“是的,我曾有这个打算,但她不愿意。”

Katerina Ivanovna looked at her nephew with raised brows and drooping eyeballs, in silent amazement. —
卡捷琳娜·伊万诺夫娜目瞪口呆地看着侄子,眼球下垂。 —

Suddenly her face changed, and with a look of pleasure she said: —
突然,她的脸庞一变,带着喜悦的表情说: —

“Well, she is wiser than you. Dear me, you are a fool. —
“唉,她比你聪明。天哪,你真是个傻瓜。 —

And you would have married her?”
你竟然想娶她?”

“Most certainly.”
“当然。”

“After her having been what she was?”
“她之前的身份已经是如此了?”

“All the more, since I was the cause of it.”
“正因为如此,我感觉更应该做点什么,毕竟这都是因为我的原因。”

“Well, you are a simpleton,” said his aunt, repressing a smile, “a terrible simpleton; —
“哦,你真是个傻瓜,”他的阿姨说着,忍住笑意,”一个可怕的傻瓜; —

but it is just because you are such a terrible simpleton that I love you.” —
但正因为你如此可怕的傻,我才爱你。” —

She repeated the word, evidently liking it, as it seemed to correctly convey to her mind the idea of her nephew’s moral state. —
她重复了这个词,显然很喜欢它,因为它似乎准确地传达给她侄子的道德状态。 —

“Do you know–What a lucky chance. Aline has a wonderful home–the Magdalene Home. I went there once. —
“你知道吗–多么幸运的机会。艾琳有一个美好的家园–马利亚归正之家。我去过那里一次。 —

They are terribly disgusting. After that I had to pray continually. —
他们太恶心了。之后我不停地祈祷。 —

But Aline is devoted to it, body and soul, so we shall place her there–yours, I mean.”
但艾琳却全心全意地致力于它,所以我们将把她送去那里——你的,我的意思是。”

“But she is condemned to Siberia. I have come on purpose to appeal about it. —
“但她被流放到西伯利亚了。我特意来此求情。 —

This is one of my requests to you.”
这是我的其中一个请求。”

“Dear me, and where do you appeal to in this case?”
“我的天,你这是要向谁求情呢?”

“To the Senate.”
“向参议院。”

“Ah, the Senate! Yes, my dear Cousin Leo is in the Senate, but he is in the heraldry department, and I don’t know any of the real ones. —
“啊,参议院!是的,我亲爱的表兄列奥在参议院,但他在纹章学部门,我不认识任何真正的人。 —

They are all some kind of Germans–Gay, Fay, Day–tout l’alphabet, or else all sorts of Ivanoffs, Simenoffs, Nikitines, or else Ivanenkos, Simonenkos, Nikitenkos, pour varier. —
他们要么是某种德国人–加伊,费伊,戴伊–整个字母表都有,要么都是伊万诺夫、谢缅诺夫、尼基京;要么伊万钦科、谢蒙钦科、尼基坦科,各种各样的名字,多少来点变化。” —

Des gens de l’autre monde. Well, it is all the same. I’ll tell my husband, he knows them. —
其他世界的人。嗯,都一样。我会告诉我丈夫,他认识他们。 —

He knows all sorts of people. I’ll tell him, but you will have to explain, he never understands me. —
他认识各种人。我会告诉他,但你得解释,他从来不理解我。 —

Whatever I may say, he always maintains he does not understand it. —
不管我说什么,他总是说他不理解。 —

C’est un parti pris, every one understands but only not he.”
这是偏见,每个人都懂,就他不懂。”

At this moment a footman with stockinged legs came in with a note on a silver platter.
这时候,一个穿着长袜的男仆拿着银盘送来一封便条。

“There now, from Aline herself. You’ll have a chance of hearing Kiesewetter.”
看吧,是亚琳亲自送来的。你会有机会听到基泽维特。

“Who is Kiesewetter?”
基泽维特是谁?

“Kiesewetter? Come this evening, and you will find out who he is. —
基泽维特?今晚来,你就会知道他是谁了。 —

He speaks in such a way that the most hardened criminals sink on their knees and weep and repent.”
他说话的方式让最顽固的罪犯都跪下来流泪忏悔。

The Countess Katerina Ivanovna, however strange it may seem, and however little it seemed in keeping with the rest of her character, was a staunch adherent to that teaching which holds that the essence of Christianity lies in the belief in redemption. —
尽管似乎有些奇怪,与她的其他特点不太相称,但凯特琳娜·伊万诺夫娜是那种坚定信仰赎罪教义的人。 —

She went to meetings where this teaching, then in fashion, was being preached, and assembled the “faithful” in her own house. —
她去听传讲这种流行教义的聚会,还在自己家里召集“信徒”。 —

Though this teaching repudiated all ceremonies, icons, and sacraments, Katerina Ivanovna had icons in every room, and one on the wall above her bed, and she kept all that the Church prescribed without noticing any contradiction in that.
尽管这种教义否定了所有仪式、圣像和圣礼,但凯特琳娜·伊万诺夫娜每个房间都放有圣像,床头还挂着一幅,她遵守教会规定的一切,却没有发现其中的矛盾。

“There now; if your Magdalene could hear him she would be converted,” said the Countess. —
看吧,如果你的玛利亚可以听到他,她会转变的,”伯爵夫人说。 —

“Do stay at home to-night; you will hear him. —
今晚待在家里吧;你会听到他的。 —

He is a wonderful man.”
他是一个了不起的人。

“It does not interest me, ma tante.”
“我对这没有兴趣,阿姨。”

“But I tell you that it is interesting, and you must come home. —
“但我告诉你,这是有趣的,你必须回家。 —

Now you may go. What else do you want of me? Videz votre sac.”
“现在你可以走了。你还要我做什么?清空你的口袋。”

“The next is in the fortress.”
“下一个在要塞里。”

“In the fortress? I can give you a note for that to the Baron Kriegsmuth. —
“在要塞?我可以给你写张便条给克里格思男爵。 —

Cest un tres brave homme. Oh, but you know him; he was a comrade of your father’s. —
“他是一个非常勇敢的人。哦,但你认识他;他是你父亲的战友。 —

Il donne dans le spiritisme. But that does not matter, he is a good fellow. —
“他信仰灵媒。但这并不重要,他是个好人。 —

What do you want there?”
“你在那儿想干什么?”

“I want to get leave for a mother to visit her son who is imprisoned there. —
“我想为一个母亲获准探望她被关押在那里的儿子。 —

But I was told that this did not depend on Kriegsmuth but on Tcherviansky.”
“但有人告诉我这不取决于克里格思,而是取决于切尔维扬斯基。”

“I do not like Tcherviansky, but he is Mariette’s husband; —
“我不喜欢切尔维扬斯基,但他是玛丽埃特的丈夫; —

we might ask her. She will do it for me. —
我们可以问问她。她会帮我的。 —

Elle est tres gentille.”
“她非常友善。”

“I have also to petition for a woman who is imprisoned there without knowing what for.”
“我还要为一个被关押在那里却不知道罪名的女人请愿。”

“No fear; she knows well enough. They all know it very well, and it serves them right, those short-haired [many advanced women wear their hair short, like men] ones.”
“不用担心;她们很清楚自己犯了什么罪。她们都很清楚,而这是他们活该,那些短发的人。”

“We do not know whether it serves them right or not. But they suffer. —
我们不知道他们是否该受到应有的惩罚。但他们在受苦。 —

You are a Christian and believe in the Gospel teaching and yet you are so pitiless.”
你是一个基督徒,信奉福音的教导,却如此无情。

“That has nothing to do with it. The Gospels are the Gospels, but what is disgusting remains disgusting. —
这与此无关。福音就是福音,但恶心的事情依然是恶心的。 —

It would be worse if I pretended to love Nihilists, especially short-haired women Nihilists, when I cannot bear them.”
如果我假装爱虚无主义者,尤其是短发女虚无主义者,那会更糟糕,因为我忍受不了她们。

“Why can you not bear them?”
你为什么无法忍受她们?

“You ask why, after the 1st of March?” [The Emperor Alexander II was killed on the first of March, old style.]
你问为什么,在三月一日之后?[亚历山大二世皇帝在旧历的三月一日被刺杀]

“They did not all take part in it on the 1st of March.”
他们并不是所有人都在三月一日参与其中。

“Never mind; they should not meddle with what is no business of theirs. It’s not women’s business.”
算了吧;她们不应该插手与她们无关的事情。这不是女人能管的事。

“Yet you consider that Mariette may take part in business.”
然而你认为玛丽埃特可以参与其中。

“Mariette? Mariette is Mariette, and these are goodness knows what. Want to teach everybody.”
玛丽埃特?玛丽埃特就是玛丽埃特,而这些人简直就是不知道哪来的。想要教训每个人。

“Not to teach but simply to help the people.”
不是要教训,只是要帮助人民。

“One knows whom to help and whom not to help without them.”
不用她们,人们也知道该帮助谁,不该帮助谁。

“But the peasants are in great need. I have just returned from the country. —
但农民们的需求很大。我刚从乡下回来。 —

Is it necessary, that the peasants should work to the very limits of their strength and never have sufficient to eat while we are living in the greatest luxury?” —
农民有必要超负荷工作,吃不饱饭,而我们则生活在最大的奢侈之中吗? —

said Nekhludoff, involuntarily led on by his aunt’s good nature into telling her what he was in his thoughts.
尼克露多夫不由自主地被他阿姨的好心感染,开始向她透露他的内心所想。

“What do you want, then? That I should work and not eat anything?”
“那么,你想要什么?让我工作却不能吃东西吗?”

“No, I do not wish you not to eat. I only wish that we should all work and all eat.” —
“不,我并不希望你不吃东西。我只希望我们都要工作,都要吃东西。” —

He could not help smiling as he said it.
他说这话时不禁微笑起来。

Again raising her brow and drooping her eyeballs his aunt look at him curiously. —
他的姑母又挑挑眉毛,眨了眨眼瞅着他,好奇地看着他。 —

Mon cher vous finirez mal,” she said.
“亲爱的,你会有个坏下场的,”她说。

Just then the general, and former minister, Countess Tcharsky’s husband, a tall, broad-shouldered man, came into the room.
就在这时,将军、前部长、恰尔斯基女伯爵的丈夫,一个又高又壮的男人走进了房间。

“Ah, Dmitri, how d’you do?” he said, turning his freshly-shaved cheek to Nekhludoff to be kissed. —
“啊,迪米特里,你好吗?”他说着把剃得干干净净的脸颊转向涅克卢多夫,准备被亲吻。 —

“When did you get here?” And he silently kissed his wife on the forehead.
“你什么时候到的?”然后他静静地吻了吻妻子的额头。

Non il est impayable,” the Countess said, turning to her husband. —
“不,他无法了解,”女伯爵转向丈夫说。 —

“He wants me to go and wash clothes and live on potatoes. —
“他希望我去洗衣服,生活在土豆里。 —

He is an awful fool, but all the same do what he is going to ask of you. —
他真是个糊涂蛋,但不管怎样,还是去做他要求你做的事。 —

A terrible simpleton,” she added. “Have you heard? —
一个可怕的傻瓜,”她补充道。“你听说了吗? —

Kamenskaya is in such despair that they fear for her life,” she said to her husband. —
卡缅斯卡崩溃到担心她的生命安全,”她对丈夫说。 —

“You should go and call there.”
“你应该去那边打个电话。”

“Yes; it is dreadful,” said her husband.
“是的,太可怕了,”她丈夫说。

“Go along, then, and talk to him. I must write some letters.”
“那么,你去找他谈谈吧。我得写一些信。”

Hardly had Nekhludoff stepped into the room next the drawing-room than she called him back.
尼赫鲁多夫刚走进隔壁的房间,她就叫住他。

“Shall I write to Mariette, then?”
“那我写信给玛丽埃特吧?”

“Please, ma tante.”
“请,舅母。”

“I shall leave a blank for what you want to say about the short-haired one, and she will give her husband his orders, and he’ll do it. —
“我会留一个空格让你写点关于那个短发女的,她会传达给她的丈夫,他会照办的。” —

Do not think me wicked; they are all so disgusting, your prologues, but je ne leur veux pas de mal, bother them. —
“不要以为我坏心眼;他们所有的都很恶心,你的导言尤其如此,但我并不想害他们。” —

Well, go, but be sure to stay at home this evening to hear Kiesewetter, and we shall have some prayers. —
“好吧,去吧,但今晚一定要在家听基瑟维特,我们会一起祷告。” —

And if only you do not resist cela vous fera beaucoup de bien. —
“只要你不抗拒,这会对你很有好处。” —

I know your poor mother and all of you were always very backward in these things.”
“我知道你可怜的母亲和你们总是对这些事情很反感。”


——–


——–


——–