AN OLD FRIEND.
一个老朋友。

“Terrible,” said Nekhludoff, as he went out into the waiting-room with the advocate, who was arranging the papers in his portfolio. —
“可怕,”涅赫留多夫对着正在包裹文件的辩护律师说道,然后走出等候室。 —

“In a matter which is perfectly clear they attach all the importance to the form and reject the appeal. Terrible!”
“明明一切都很清楚,他们却把所有重点都放在形式上,拒绝上诉。太可怕了!”

“The case was spoiled in the Criminal Court,” said the advocate.
“犯罪法院把案子搞砸了,”辩护律师说道。

“And Selenin, too, was in favour of the rejection. Terrible! terrible!” —
“而且赛连因为拒绝也表明了意见。太可怕了!太可怕了!” —

Nekhludoff repeated. “What is to be done now?”
涅赫留多夫重复说道:”现在该怎么办?”

“We will appeal to His Majesty, and you can hand in the petition yourself while you are here. —
“我们会上诉到皇上那里,并且你可以亲自递交请愿书,你在这里。我会为你写好。” —

I will write it for you.”
就在这时,带着他的星星和制服的小沃尔夫走了出来,走向涅赫留多夫。

At this moment little Wolf, with his stars and uniform, came out into the waiting-room and approached Nekhludoff. —
“亲爱的王子,没办法。上诉的理由不够充分,”他耸了耸狭窄的肩膀,闭上了眼睛,然后离开了。 —

“It could not be helped, dear Prince. The reasons for an appeal were not sufficient,” he said, shrugging his narrow shoulders and closing his eyes, and then he went his way.
小沃尔夫离开后,赛连因也出来了,从参议员那听说了他的老朋友涅赫留多夫在这里。

After Wolf, Selenin came out too, having heard from the Senators that his old friend Nekhludoff was there.
“哦,我没想到会在这里见到你,”他走近涅赫留多夫说,唇角微微一笑,但眼神却是忧郁的。

“Well, I never expected to see you here,” he said, coming up to Nekhludoff, and smiling only with his lips while his eyes remained sad. —
“我不知道你在圣彼得堡,”他说。 —

“I did not know you were in Petersburg.”
“我也不知道你是总检察长,”涅赫留多夫回答道。

“And I did not know you were Public Prosecutor-in-Chief.”
“你怎么会成为参议员?”赛连因问。

“How is it you are in the Senate?” asked Selenin. —
“我也没有想到你在这里。” —

“I had heard, by the way, that you were in Petersburg. But what are you doing here?”
“顺便说一句,我听说你在彼得堡。那你在这里做什么?”

“Here? I am here because I hoped to find justice and save a woman innocently condemned.”
“在这里?我在这里是因为我希望找到公正,拯救一个被冤枉的女人。”

“What woman?”
“什么女人?”

“The one whose case has just been decided.”
“刚刚判决过的那个女人。”

“Oh! Maslova’s case,” said Selenin, suddenly remembering it. “The appeal had no grounds whatever.”
“哦!马斯洛娃的案子,”塞连英突然想起了。“上诉完全没有任何理由。”

“It is not the appeal; it’s the woman who is innocent, and is being punished.”
“我不是说上诉的问题;是那个女人是清白的,却正受到惩罚。”

Selenin sighed. “That may well be, but—-”
塞连英叹了口气。“也许确实是,但是—-”

“Not may be, but is.”
“不是也许, 而是。”

“How do you know?”
“你怎么知道?”

“Because I was on the jury. I know how we made the mistake.”
“因为我是陪审团成员。我知道我们是怎么犯错的。”

Selenin became thoughtful. “You should have made a statement at the time,” he said.
塞连英陷入沉思。“你当时应该做出声明的,”他说。

“I did make the statement.”
“我确实做了声明。”

“It should have been put down in an official report. —
“这应该写进官方报告里。” —

If this had been added to the petition for the appeal–”
如果这个被加到上诉请求里–”

“Yes, but still, as it is, the verdict is evidently absurd.”
“是的,但是尽管如此,判决显然是荒谬的。”

“The Senate has no right to say so. If the Senate took upon itself to repeal the decision of the law courts according to its own views as to the justice of the decisions in themselves, the verdict of the jury would lose all its meaning, not to mention that the Senate would have no basis to go upon, and would run the risk of infringing justice rather than upholding it,” said Selenin, calling to mind the case that had just been heard.
“参议院没有权利这样说。如果参议院自行撤销法院根据他们对判决合理性的看法作出的决定,陪审团的裁决将失去所有意义,更不用说参议院将没有依据可依,会冒侵犯正义而非维护正义的风险,”塞连宁说道,想起刚刚听到的案件。

“All I know is that this woman is quite innocent, and that the last hope of saying her from an unmerited punishment is gone. —
“我知道的是这个女人是完全无辜的,拯救她免受不应得的惩罚的最后希望已经消失了。 —

The grossest injustice has been confirmed by the highest court.”
最严重的不公正被最高法院确认了。”

“It has not been confirmed. The Senate did not and cannot enter into the merits of the case in itself,” said Selenin. —
“没有被确认。参议院没有并且也不能介入案件本身的实质问题,”塞连宁说。 —

Always busy and rarely going out into society, he had evidently heard nothing of Nekhludoff’s romance. —
他总是忙碌,很少外出社交,显然对涅赫鲁杜夫的恋情一无所知。 —

Nekhludoff noticed it, and made up his mind that it was best to say nothing about his special relations with Maslova.
涅赫鲁杜夫注意到了这一点,并决定最好不要提及自己与马斯洛娃的特殊关系。

“You are probably staying with your aunt,” Selenin remarked, apparently wishing to change the subject. —
“你可能是跟你的阿姨住在一起,”塞连宁似乎希望改变话题。 —

“She told me you were here yesterday, and she invited me to meet you in the evening, when some foreign preacher was to lecture,” and Selenin again smiled only with his lips.
“她告诉我你昨天在这里,她邀请我在晚上见你,一个外国传教士要讲座,”塞连宁又只用嘴唇微笑了一下。

“Yes, I was there, but left in disgust,” said Nekhludoff angrily, vexed that Selenin had changed the subject.
“是的,我到了那儿,但我感到恶心就离开了,”涅赫鲁杜夫生气地说,为塞连宁转移话题感到恼火。

“Why with disgust? After all, it is a manifestation of religious feeling, though one-sided and sectarian,” said Selenin.
“为什么感到恶心?毕竟,这表现出了宗教信仰,尽管一面倒且教派主义,”塞连宁说。

“Why, it’s only some kind of whimsical folly.”
“为什么,这只是一种古怪的愚蠢。

“Oh, dear, no. The curious thing is that we know the teaching of our church so little that we see some new kind of revelation in what are, after all, our own fundamental dogmas,” said Selenin, as if hurrying to let his old friend know his new views.
“噢,亲爱的,不是的。有趣的是我们对我们教会的教义了解甚少,以至于我们将我们自己的基本教条看成一种新的启示,”塞连宁说,好像急于让他的老朋友知道他的新观点。

Nekhludoff looked at Selenin scrutinisingly and with surprise, and Selenin dropped his eyes, in which appeared an expression not only of sadness but also of ill-will.
涅赫鲁杜夫审视地看着塞连宁,感到惊讶,塞连宁低下了眼睛,眼中除了悲伤外还流露出不满的表情。

“Do you, then, believe in the dogmas of the church?” Nekhludoff asked.
“那么,你相信教会的教义吗?”涅赫鲁杜夫问道。

“Of course I do,” replied Selenin, gazing straight into Nekhludoff’s eyes with a lifeless look.
“当然相信,”塞连宁直盯着涅赫鲁杜夫的眼睛,带着一种毫无生气的表情回答道。

Nekhludoff sighed. “It is strange,” he said.
涅赫鲁多夫叹了口气。“奇怪,”他说。

“However, we shall have a talk some other time,” said Selenin. —
“不过,我们以后可以再谈,”塞连宁说。 —

“I am coming,” he added, in answer to the usher, who had respectfully approached him. —
“我来了,”他补充道,回答了尊敬地走过来的招待员。 —

“Yes, we must meet again,” he went on with a sigh. “But will it be possible for me to find you? —
“是的,我们必须再见面,”他叹了口气说。“但是我能找到你吗? —

You will always find me in at seven o’clock. My address is Nadejdinskaya,” and he gave the number. —
你总是在晚上七点在家。我的地址是纳代金斯卡亚,”他说着报出了门牌号码。 —

“Ah, time does not stand still,” and he turned to go, smiling only with his lips.
“啊,时间不会停止,”他转身离去,只用嘴角微微一笑。

“I will come if I can,” said Nekhludoff, feeling that a man once near and dear to him had, by this brief conversation, suddenly become strange, distant, and incomprehensible, if not hostile to him.
“如果能的话我会来的,”涅赫鲁多夫说,感觉到一个曾经亲近的人在这短暂的对话之后突然变得陌生、疏远,甚至是对他有敌意。