SIMONSON SPEAKS TO NEKHLUDOFF.
西蒙森对涅赫鲁多夫说话。

The voices of officials sounded from the next room. —
官员们的声音从隔壁传来。 —

All the prisoners were silent, and a sergeant, followed by two convoy soldiers, entered. —
所有囚犯都保持安静,一个中士带着两名押送士兵进来了。 —

The time of the inspection had come. The sergeant counted every one, and when Nekhludoff’s turn came he addressed him with kindly familiarity.
检查时间到了。中士一一数过每一个人,轮到涅赫鲁多夫时,他友善地称呼他。

“You must not stay any longer, Prince, after the inspection; you must go now.”
“王子,检查后你不能再呆在这里,你必须现在走。”

Nekhludoff knew what this meant, went up to the sergeant and shoved a three-rouble note into his hand.
涅赫鲁多夫知道这意味着什么,走到中士跟前,塞了一张三卢布钞票给他。

“Ah, well, what is one to do with you; stay a bit longer, if you like.” —
“啊,好吧,你让人怎么办呢;如果你想再多留一会儿也可以。” —

The sergeant was about to go when another sergeant, followed by a convict, a spare man with a thin beard and a bruise under his eye, came in.
中士刚要走,另一名中士带着一个囚犯进来了,囚犯是个瘦瘦的男人,脸上有一处青肿。

“It’s about the girl I have come,” said the convict.
“我是为了那个女孩来的,“囚犯说。

“Here’s daddy come,” came the ringing accents of a child’s voice, and a flaxen head appeared from behind Rintzeva, who, with Katusha’s and Mary Pavlovna’s help, was making a new garment for the child out of one of Rintzeva’s own petticoats.
“爸爸来了,“一个孩子的声音响亮地传来,一个金发小头从林采娃的身后露出来,林采娃和卡图夏以及玛丽亚·帕夫洛芙娜正在帮忙,为这个孩子做一个新的衣服,用的是林采娃自己的衬裙。

“Yes, daughter, it’s me,” Bousovkin, the prisoner, said softly.
“女儿,是我,“囚犯博索夫金轻声说。

“She is quite comfortable here,” said Mary Pavlovna, looking with pity at Bousovkin’s bruised face. —
“她在这里很舒服,“玛丽亚·帕夫洛芙娜怜悯地看着博索夫金的受伤脸。 —

“Leave her with us.”
“留她跟我们在一起吧。”

“The ladies are making me new clothes,” said the girl, pointing to Rintzeva’s sewing–“nice red ones,” she went on, prattling.
“这些女士们在给我做新衣服,“小女孩指着林采娃正在缝制的衣服说,”漂亮的红色的。”她接着闲聊。

“Do you wish to sleep with us?” asked Rintzeva, caressing the child.
“你愿意和我们一起睡觉吗?”林采娃抚摸着这个孩子问道。

“Yes, I wish. And daddy, too.”
“是的,我希望。还有爸爸。”

“No, daddy can’t. Well, leave her then,” she said, turning to the father.
“不,爸爸不能。好吧,那就把她留下,”她说着,转向父亲。

“Yes, you may leave her,” said the first sergeant, and went out with the other.
“是的,你可以留下她,”军士长说着,和另一个人一起走了出去。

As soon as they were out of the room Nabatoff went up to Bousovkin, slapped him on the shoulder, and said: —
他们一走出房间,纳巴托夫就走到布索夫金跟前,拍了拍他的肩膀,说道: —

“I say, old fellow, is it true that Karmanoff wishes to exchange?”
“喂,老友,卡尔马诺夫真的想要交换吗?”

Bousovkin’s kindly, gentle face turned suddenly sad and a veil seemed to dim his eyes.
布索夫金慈祥温和的脸突然变得忧伤起来,双眼若有蒙障。

“We have heard nothing–hardly,” he said, and with the same dimness still over his eyes he turned to the child.
“我们几乎没有听说过……”他说着,依然带着蒙障的眼神转向那个孩子。

“Well, Aksutka, it seems you’re to make yourself comfortable with the ladies,” and he hurried away.
“好啦,阿克苏卡,看来你得跟女士们使自己舒服了,”然后他匆匆离开。

“It’s true about the exchange, and he knows it very well,” said Nabatoff.
“关于交换的事是真的,他非常清楚,”纳巴托夫说。

“What are you going to do?”
“你打算怎么办?”

“I shall tell the authorities in the next town. I know both prisoners by sight,” said Nekhludoff.
“我打算告诉下一个镇上的当局。我认识这两个囚犯,”涅赫卢多夫说。

All were silent, fearing a recommencement of the dispute.
所有人都沉默下来,害怕争论又重新开始。

Simonson, who had been lying with his arms thrown back behind his head, and not speaking, rose, and determinately walked up to Nekhludoff, carefully passing round those who were sitting.
西蒙森一直躺着,双臂放在头后,不说话,站起来决意地走向涅赫卢多夫,小心绕过那些坐着的人。

“Could you listen to me now?”
“你现在能听我说吗?”

“Of course,” and Nekhludoff rose and followed him.
“当然可以,”涅赫卢多夫站起来,跟着他走去。

Katusha looked up with an expression of suspense, and meeting Nekhludoff’s eyes, she blushed and shook her head.
卡都莎抬起头,带着期待的表情,看着涅克拉多夫,她脸红了,摇了摇头。

“What I want to speak to you about is this,” Simonson began, when they had come out into the passage. In the passage the din of the criminal’s voices and shouts sounded louder. —
“我要跟你谈的是这件事,”西蒙森说,当他们走出走廊时。在走廊里,罪犯们的喧闹声和吵闹声听起来更大了。 —

Nekhludoff made a face, but Simonson did not seem to take any notice.
涅克拉多夫做了个鬼脸,但西蒙森似乎没有注意到。

“Knowing of your relations to Katerina Maslova,” he began seriously and frankly, with his kind eyes looking straight into Nekhludoff’s face, “I consider it my duty”–He was obliged to stop because two voices were heard disputing and shouting, both at once, close to the door.
“考虑到你和卡捷琳娜·马斯洛娃的关系,”他认真而坦率地开始说,他那善良的眼睛直直地看着涅克拉多夫的脸,”我认为这是我的职责”–他被迫停下来,因为在门附近有两个声音同时争吵和喊叫。

“I tell you, blockhead, they are not mine,” one voice shouted.
“我告诉你,蠢货,它们不是我的,”一个声音喊道。

“May you choke, you devil,” snorted the other.
“愿你被勒死,你这个恶魔,”另一个人喷气道。

At this moment Mary Pavlovna came out into the passage.
这时,玛丽亚·巴甫洛夫娜走出走廊。

“How can one talk here?” she said; “go in, Vera is alone there,” and she went in at the second door, and entered a tiny room, evidently meant for a solitary cell, which was now placed at the disposal of the political women prisoners, Vera Doukhova lay covered up, head and all, on the bed.
“这里怎么能谈话?”她说;”进去吧,维拉一个人在那里,”她走进第二扇门,进入一个显然是为单独囚室而设立的小房间,现在是政治女囚的自由支配,维拉·杜霍娃躺在床上,头和整个身体都被盖住。

“She has got a headache, and is asleep, so she cannot hear you, and I will go away,” said Mary Pavlovna.
“她头疼,正在睡觉,所以听不见你,我会走开的,”玛丽亚说。

“On the contrary, stay here,” said Simonson; —
“相反,留在这里,”西蒙森说; —

“I have no secrets from any one, certainly none from you.”
“我对任何人都没有秘密,当然也没有对你.”

“All right,” said Mary Pavlovna, and moving her whole body from side to side, like a child, so as to get farther back on to the bed, she settled down to listen, her beautiful hazel eyes seeming to look somewhere far away.
“好的,”玛丽亚·巴甫洛芙娜说,她把整个身体从一边摇到另一边,像一个孩子,这样可以更远地躺在床上,她专注地听着,她美丽的榛色眼睛似乎看向遥远的地方。

“Well, then, this is my business,” Simonson repeated. —
“好了,那么,这是我的事,”西蒙森重复道。 —

“Knowing of your relations to Katerina Maslova, I consider myself bound to explain to you my relations to her.”
“考虑到你和卡捷琳娜·马斯洛娃的关系,我认为有必要向你解释我与她的关系.”

Nekhludoff could not help admiring the simplicity and truthfulness with which Simonson spoke to him.
涅克拉多夫不由得对西蒙森如此简单真诚的说法感到钦佩。

“What do you mean?”
“你是什么意思?”

“I mean that I should like to marry Katerina Maslova–”
“我的意思是我想娶卡捷琳娜·马斯洛娃为妻。”

“How strange!” said Mary Pavlovna, fixing her eyes on Simonson.
“多奇怪!”玛丽娅·帕夫洛夫娜说着,目不转睛地盯着西蒙松。

”–And so I made up my mind to ask her to be my wife,” Simonson continued.
“因此,我决定要求她做我的妻子”,西蒙松继续说道。

“What can I do? It depends on her,” said Nekhludoff.
“我能做什么呢?这取决于她。”

“Yes; but she will not come to any decision without you.”
“是的;但她不会在没有你的情况下做出决定。”

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“Because as long as your relations with her are unsettled she cannot make up her mind.”
“因为只要你们之间的关系没有解决,她就无法下决心。”

“As far as I am concerned, it is finally settled. —
“关于我,这事已经解决。” —

I should like to do what I consider to be my duty and also to lighten her fate, but on no account would I wish to put any restraint on her.”
“我想做我认为是我的责任,也想减轻她的命运,但绝对不希望对她施加任何限制。”

“Yes, but she does not wish to accept your sacrifice.”
“是的,但她不希望接受你的牺牲。”

“It is no sacrifice.”
“这不算牺牲。”

“And I know that this decision of hers is final.”
“我知道她的决定是最终的。”

“Well, then, there is no need to speak to me,” said Nekhludoff.
“好吧,那么也没必要跟我说了”,涅赫卢多夫说。

“She wants you to acknowledge that you think as she does.”
“她希望你承认你也认同她的想法。”

“How can I acknowledge that I must not do what I consider to be my duty? —
“我如何才能承认我不能做我认为是我的责任的事情?” —

All I can say is that I am not free, but she is.”
“我能说的就是我不自由,但她是。”

Simonson was silent; then, after thinking a little, he said: “Very well, then, I’ll tell her. —
西蒙森沉默了一会,然后想了一下,说:“好吧,我会告诉她。” —

You must not think I am in love with her,” he continued; —
“你不要以为我爱上了她,”他继续说; —

“I love her as a splendid, unique, human being who has suffered much. —
“我爱她作为一个受过很多苦的杰出、独特的人。 —

I want nothing from her. I have only an awful longing to help her, to lighten her posi–”
我不求什么。我只是渴望帮助她,减轻她的处境–”

Nekhludoff was surprised to hear the trembling in Simonson’s voice.
涅赫鲁多夫听到西蒙森声音中的颤抖感到惊讶。

”–To lighten her position,” Simonson continued. —
“–为了减轻她的处境,”西蒙森继续说。 —

“If she does not wish to accept your help, let her accept mine. —
“如果她不愿接受你的帮助,让她接受我的。 —

If she consents, I shall ask to be sent to the place where she will be imprisoned. —
如果她同意,我会请求去她将被监禁的地方。 —

Four years are not an eternity. I would live near her, and perhaps might lighten her fate–” and he again stopped, too agitated to continue.
四年并非永恒。我会住在她附近,也许可以减轻她的命运–”他再次停下,太过激动无法继续。

“What am I to say?” said Nekhludoff. “I am very glad she has found such a protector as you–”
“我该说什么?”涅赫鲁多夫说。“我非常高兴她找到了像你这样的保护者–”

“That’s what I wanted to know,” Simonson interrupted.
“这就是我想知道的,”西蒙森打断道。

“I wanted to know if, loving her and wishing her happiness, you would consider it good for her to marry me?”
“我想知道,爱她并希望她幸福的你,是否认为她嫁给我是对她有好处的?”

“Oh, yes,” said Nekhludoff decidedly.
“哦,是的,”涅赫鲁多夫断然说道。

“It all depends on her; I only wish that this suffering soul should find rest,” said Simonson, with such childlike tenderness as no one could have expected from so morose-looking a man.
“一切都取决于她;我只希望这个备受煎熬的灵魂能找到安宁,”西蒙森说道,带着一种儿童般的温柔,让人无法想象这种忧郁的样子会来自这样一个人。

Simonson rose, and stretching his lips out to Nekhludoff, smiled shyly and kissed him.
西蒙森站起来,把嘴唇伸向涅赫鲁多夫,羞涩地微笑着亲了他一下。

“So I shall tell her,” and he went away.
“那么我就告诉她,”然后他离开了。