Before Betsy had time to walk out of the drawing-room, she was met in the doorway by Stepan Arkadyevitch, who had just come from Yeliseev’s, where a consignment of fresh oysters had been received.
在贝齐还来不及走出起居室之前,她在门口遇到了斯特潘·阿尔卡季耶维奇,他刚从叶利谢耶夫的那里拿到了一批新鲜的牡蛎。

“Ah! princess! what a delightful meeting!” he began. “I’ve been to see you.”
“啊!公主!多么令人愉快的相遇!”他开始说。“我刚才去看你了。”

“A meeting for one minute, for I’m going,” said Betsy, smiling and putting on her glove.
“只有一分钟的相聚,因为我要走了。”贝齐微笑着戴上手套说道。

“Don’t put on your glove yet, princess; let me kiss your hand. —
“还别戴上手套,公主;让我来亲吻你的手。” —

There’s nothing I’m so thankful to the revival of the old fashions for as the kissing the hand.” —
“感谢旧时尚的复兴,我最感谢的就是亲吻手的习俗。” —

He kissed Betsy’s hand. “When shall we see each other?”
他亲吻了贝琪的手。“我们什么时候能再见面?”

“You don’t deserve it,” answered Betsy, smiling.
“你不值得,”贝琪微笑着回答。

“Oh, yes, I deserve a great deal, for I’ve become a most serious person. —
“哦,是的,我值得很多,因为我已经变成了一个非常认真的人。 —

I don’t only manage my own affairs, but other people’s too,” he said with a significant expression.
“我不仅仅管理自己的事务,也管理其他人的事务,”他带着含义深长的表情说道。

“Oh, I’m so glad!” answered Betsy, at once understanding that he was speaking of Anna. And going back into the drawing room, they stood in a corner. —
“哦,太好了!”贝琪立刻明白他在说安娜。“他正在伤害她,”贝琪用富有意义的低语说道。 —

“He’s killing her,” said Betsy in a whisper full of meaning. —
“不可能,不可能。” —

“It’s impossible, impossible…”
“我很高兴你这么想,”斯捷潘·阿尔卡季耶维奇摇了摇头,表情严肃而同情地表示,“这就是我来圣彼得堡的目的。”

“I’m so glad you think so,” said Stepan Arkadyevitch, shaking his head with a serious and sympathetically distressed expression, “that’s what I’ve come to Petersburg for.”
“整个城里都在谈论这件事,”她说。“这是一个不可能的处境。她日渐消瘦。

“The whole town’s talking of it,” she said. “It’s an impossible position. She pines and pines away. —
这是不可能的。” —

He doesn’t understand that she’s one of those women who can’t trifle with their feelings. —
他没有意识到她是那种不能随意玩弄感情的女人。 —

One of two things! either let him take her away, act with energy, or give her a divorce. —
两种选择之一!要么让他带她离开,积极行动,要么给她离婚。 —

This is stifling her.”
这让她感到窒息。

“Yes, yes…just so…” Oblonsky said, sighing. “That’s what I’ve come for. —
“是的,是的…就是这样。” 奥布洛夫斯基叹了口气。“我来的就是为了这个。” —

At least not solely for that…I’ve been made a Kammerherr; —
至少不仅仅因为那个…我被任命为御前侍从。 —

of course, one has to say thank you. But the chief thing was having to settle this.”
当然,要说声谢谢是必须的。但最重要的是要解决这个问题。

“Well, God help you!” said Betsy.
“愿上帝帮助你!” 贝琪说道。

After accompanying Betsy to the outside hall, once more kissing her hand above the glove, at the point where the pulse beats, and murmuring to her such unseemly nonsense that she did not know whether to laugh or be angry, Stepan Arkadyevitch went to his sister. —
在把贝琪送到外面的大厅后,再次亲吻她手上手套上面脉搏跳动的地方,和她说出一些无礼的废话,使她不知道是该笑还是生气,斯捷潘·阿尔卡季耶维奇去找他的妹妹。 —

He found her in tears.
他发现她正在流泪。

Although he happened to be bubbling over with good spirits, Stepan Arkadyevitch immediately and quite naturally fell into the sympathetic, poetically emotional tone which harmonized with her mood. —
尽管他此刻满腔热情,斯捷潘·阿尔卡季耶维奇立即而自然地采取了同情的、有诗意的情绪,与她的心情相契合。 —

He asked her how she was, and how she had spent the morning.
他问她过得怎么样,以及她早上怎么度过的。

“Very, very miserably. Today and this morning and all past days and days to come,” she said.
“非常、非常地痛苦。今天、今早,还有过去的日子和未来的日子都是这样,”她说。

“I think you’re giving way to pessimism. You must rouse yourself, you must look life in the face. —
“我觉得你有些悲观了。你必须振作起来,你必须勇敢地面对生活。 —

I know it’s hard, but…”
我知道这很难,但是……”

“I have heard it said that women love men even for their vices,” Anna began suddenly, “but I hate him for his virtues. —
“我听说过女人爱男人甚至是因为他们的恶习,”安娜突然开始说,“但是我却恨他因为他的优点。 —

I can’t live with him. Do you understand? —
我不能和他生活在一起。你明白吗? —

the sight of him has a physical effect on me, it makes me beside myself. —
看到他就让我生理上不舒服,我变得失控。 —

I can’t, I can’t live with him. What am I to do? —
我不能,我不能和他生活在一起。我该怎么办? —

I have been unhappy, and used to think one couldn’t be more unhappy, but the awful state of things I am going through now, I could never have conceived. —
我一直都很不开心,以为自己再也不能更不开心了,但是我现在经历的糟糕状态,我以前想都没想过。 —

Would you believe it, that knowing he’s a good man, a splendid man, that I’m not worth his little finger, still I hate him. —
你相信吗,明知道他是个好人,一个优秀的人,而我一个指头都不如,我还是恨他。 —

I hate him for his generosity. And there’s nothing left for me but…”
我恨他的慷慨。而我除了……什么都没有了。”

She would have said death, but Stepan Arkadyevitch would not let her finish.
她本来想说“死亡”,但斯捷潘·阿尔卡季耶维奇不让她说完。

“You are ill and overwrought,” he said; “believe me, you’re exaggerating dreadfully. —
“你病了,过度紧张了,”他说道,“相信我,你夸大了很多。 —

There’s nothing so terrible in it.”
这并没有那么可怕。”

And Stepan Arkadyevitch smiled. No one else in Stepan Arkadyevitch’s place, having to do with such despair, would have ventured to smile (the smile would have seemed brutal); —
斯捷潘·阿尔卡季耶维奇微笑着。如果是别人处在斯捷潘·阿尔卡季耶维奇的处境,面对如此绝望,他们不会冒险微笑(微笑会显得残酷); —

but in his smile there was so much of sweetness and almost feminine tenderness that his smile did not wound, but softened and soothed. —
但斯捷潘·阿尔卡季耶维奇的微笑中充满了甜蜜和几乎具有女性温柔的特质,他的微笑并没有伤害,而是柔和和安抚人心。 —

His gentle, soothing words and smiles were as soothing and softening as almond oil. —
他温和和安慰的语言和微笑就像杏仁油一样舒缓和软化。 —

And Anna soon felt this.
安娜很快感到了这一点。

“No, Stiva,” she said, “I’m lost, lost! worse than lost! I can’t say yet that all is over; —
“不,斯蒂瓦,”她说,“我迷失了,彻底地迷失了!比迷失还要糟糕!我还不能说所有的都结束了; —

on the contrary, I feel that it’s not over. —
相反,我感到还没有结束。 —

I’m an overstrained string that must snap. —
我好像一根过度紧绷的弦,必将断裂。 —

But it’s not ended yet…and it will have a fearful end.”
但还没有结束…它将有一个可怕的结局。”

“No matter, we must let the string be loosened, little by little. —
“没关系,我们必须逐渐放松这根线。 —

There’s no position from which there is no way of escape.”
没有处境是没有逃脱之道的。”

“I have thought, and thought. Only one…”
“我仔细思考了又思考。只有一个……”

Again he knew from her terrified eyes that this one way of escape in her thought was death, and he would not let her say it.
他再次从她恐惧的眼神中知道,她心中这个逃避的方式是死亡,而他不会让她说出来。

“Not at all,” he said. “Listen to me. You can’t see your own position as I can. —
“完全不是这样,”他说。“听我说。你无法像我一样看清楚你自己的处境。 —

Let me tell you candidly my opinion.” Again he smiled discreetly his almond-oil smile. —
让我坦诚地告诉你我的看法。”他又一次微笑,露出他那似杏仁油般的笑容。 —

“I’ll begin from the beginning. You married a man twenty years older than yourself. —
“我从头开始说。你嫁给了一个比你大二十岁的男人。 —

You married him without love and not knowing what love was. —
你没有爱情的婚姻,也不知道什么是爱情。 —

It was a mistake, let’s admit.”
这是一个错误,我们承认吧。”

“A fearful mistake!” said Anna.
“一个可怕的错误!”安娜说。

“But I repeat, it’s an accomplished fact. —
“但我再说一次,这是一个既成事实。 —

Then you had, let us say, the misfortune to love a man not your husband. That was a misfortune; —
然后,我们可以说,你可怜地爱上了一个不是你丈夫的男人。那是一个不幸; —

but that, too, is an accomplished fact. And your husband knew it and forgave it.” —
但这也是一个既成事实。而且你的丈夫知道并原谅了。” —

He stopped at each sentence, waiting for her to object, but she made no answer. “That’s so. —
他在每一句话停顿了一下,等待她反驳,但她没有回答。“确实如此。 —

Now the question is: can you go on living with your husband? —
现在的问题是:你能继续与你丈夫生活下去吗? —

Do you wish it? Does he wish it?”
你希望吗?他希望吗?”

“I know nothing, nothing.”
“我一无所知,一无所知。”

“But you said yourself that you can’t endure him.”
“但是你自己说过你不能忍受他。”

“No, I didn’t say so. I deny it. I can’t tell, I don’t know anything about it.”
“不,我没有说过。我否认。我不知道,对此一无所知。”

“Yes, but let…”
“是的,但是让我……”

“You can’t understand. I feel I’m lying head downwards in a sort of pit, but I ought not to save myself. And I can’t …”
“你不能理解。我感觉自己像头朝下地躺在一个坑里,但我不应该救自己。而我也不能……”

“Never mind, we’ll slip something under and pull you out. I understand you: —
“没关系,我们会放些东西在下面并把你拉出来。我明白你: —

I understand that you can’t take it on yourself to express your wishes, your feelings.”
,“我明白你不能下定决心表达你的愿望,你的感受。”

“There’s nothing, nothing I wish…except for it to be all over.”
“我没有任何愿望……除了一切都结束。”

“But he sees this and knows it. And do you suppose it weighs on him any less than on you? —
“但是他看到了这一切并且知道。难道你觉得这对他来说比对你轻松吗? —

You’re wretched, he’s wretched, and what good can come of it? —
“你很痛苦,他也很痛苦,这会有什么好处? —

while divorce would solve the difficulty completely.” —
“而离婚会完全解决这个困境。” —

With some effort Stepan Arkadyevitch brought out his central idea, and looked significantly at her.
斯捷潘·阿尔卡季耶维奇费了些力气说出他的中心思想,并且有意地看着她。

She said nothing, and shook her cropped head in dissent. —
“她什么也没说,并摇着剪短的头表示不同意。” —

But from the look in her face, that suddenly brightened into its old beauty, he saw that if she did not desire this, it was simply because it seemed to her unattainable happiness.
但从她脸上的表情来看,突然间变得明亮起来,他看到她之所以不想要这个,只是因为这个幸福对她来说似乎是无法达到的。

“I’m awfully sorry for you! And how happy I should be if I could arrange things!” —
“非常替你感到难过!如果我能安排好一切,我会多么幸福!” —

said Stepan Arkadyevitch, smiling more boldly. “Don’t speak, don’t say a word! —
斯捷潘·阿尔卡季耶维奇笑得更加大胆。“不要说话,不要说一句话! —

God grant only that I may speak as I feel. I’m going to him.”
愿上帝只是让我能够如实地讲话。我要去找他。”

Anna looked at him with dreamy, shining eyes, and said nothing.
安娜用梦幻而闪烁的眼神看着他,什么也没说。