Steps were heard at the door, and Princess Betsy, knowing it was Madame Karenina, glanced at Vronsky. He was looking towards the door, and his face wore a strange new expression. —
随着步伐声传来了,贝齐公主知道是卡琳娜夫人,她瞥了一眼弗朗斯卡。他正看向门口,脸上带着一种奇怪的新表情。 —

Joyfully, intently, and at the same time timidly, he gazed at the approaching figure, and slowly he rose to his feet. —
他喜悦地、专注地、但同时又略带胆怯地盯着那个临近的身影,慢慢地站了起来。 —

Anna walked into the drawing room. Holding herself extremely erect, as always, looking straight before her, and moving with her swift, resolute, and light step, that distinguished her from all other society women, she crossed the short space to her hostess, shook hands with her, smiled, and with the same smile looked around at Vronsky. —
安娜走进了客厅。像往常一样,她保持着极度挺直的姿势,目光直视前方,脚步迅捷、果断而轻盈,这让她与其他社交名媛有所不同。她穿过短短的距离来到女主人面前,与她握手,微笑着,同时用同样的微笑朝弗朗斯卡看了看。 —

Vronsky bowed low and pushed a chair up for her.
弗朗斯卡深深鞠了一躬,给她推了一把椅子。

She acknowledged this only by a slight nod, flushed a little, and frowned. —
她只是轻轻点了点头,微微脸红,并皱了皱眉头。 —

But immediately, while rapidly greeting her acquaintances, and shaking the hands proffered to her, she addressed Princess Betsy:
但立刻,在迅速问候朋友们、握手致意的同时,她对贝齐公主说道:

“I have been at Countess Lidia’s, and meant to have come here earlier, but I stayed on. —
“我刚才在丽迪亚伯爵夫人那里,本来打算早点来这里的,但我待了一会儿。” —

Sir John was there. He’s very interesting.”
约翰爵士在那里。他非常有趣。

“Oh, that’s this missionary?”
“哦,那就是那个传教士?”

“Yes; he told us about the life in India, most interesting things.”
“是的;他告诉我们关于印度生活的很多有趣的事情。”

The conversation, interrupted by her coming in, flickered up again like the light of a lamp being blown out.
沉浸在她进来的打断之中的对话又像吹灭的灯的光一样重新亮起来。

“Sir John! Yes, Sir John; I’ve seen him. He speaks well. —
“约翰爵士!是的,约翰爵士;我见过他。他说话很好。” —

The Vlassieva girl’s quite in love with him.”
弗拉谢娃女孩对他相当有好感。

“And is it true the younger Vlassieva girl’s to marry Topov?”
“那么年轻的弗拉谢娃女孩将要嫁给托波夫,是真的吗?”

“Yes, they say it’s quite a settled thing.”
“是的,他们说这是一件定下来的事情。”

“I wonder at the parents! They say it’s a marriage for love.”
“我惊讶于父母们!他们说这是一场因爱情而结成的婚姻。”

“For love? What antediluvian notions you have! —
“因为爱情?你们有多么过时的观念啊! —

Can one talk of love in these days?” said the ambassador’s wife.
在这个年代里,还能谈论爱情吗?”大使夫人说。

“What’s to be done? It’s a foolish old fashion that’s kept up still,” said Vronsky.
“怎么办呢?这是一个傻乎乎的老潮流,依然被坚持着,”弗朗斯基说。

“So much the worse for those who keep up the fashion. —
“对于那些坚持这种潮流的人来说,那就更糟了。” —

The only happy marriages I know are marriages of prudence.”
“我唯一知道幸福婚姻的是那些以谨慎为基础的婚姻。”

“Yes, but then how often the happiness of these prudent marriages flies away like dust just because that passion turns up that they have refused to recognize,” said Vronsky.
“是的,但是由于他们拒绝承认,一旦激情出现,这些明智婚姻的幸福往往像尘土一样飞逝,” 弗朗斯基说道。

“But by marriages of prudence we mean those in which both parties have sown their wild oats already. —
“但是所谓明智婚姻是指双方都已经收心的婚姻。” —

That’s like scarlatina–one has to go through it and get it over.”
“这就像猩红热一样,人们必须经历它,然后克服它。”

“Then they ought to find out how to vaccinate for love, like smallpox.”
“那么他们应该想办法预防爱情,就像天花那样。”

“I was in love in my young days with a deacon,” said the Princess Myakaya. —
“在我的年轻时代,我曾经爱上过一位执事,”米亚卡亚公主说道。 —

“I don’t know that it did me any good.”
“我不知道那对我有什么好处。”

“No; I imagine, joking apart, that to know love, one must make mistakes and then correct them,” said Princess Betsy.
“不,说真的,我认为要了解爱情,人们必须犯错,然后纠正错误,”贝琪公主说道。

“Even after marriage?” aid the ambassador’s wife playfully.
“即使是在婚后也是如此?”大使太太开玩笑地问道。

”‘It’s never too late to mend.’” The attache repeated the English proverb.
“‘改过不嫌迟。’”随员重复了这句英语谚语。

“Just so,” Betsy agreed; “one must make mistakes and correct them. What do you think about it?” —
“没错,贝琪同意;人们必须犯错并纠正错误。你对此有什么看法?” —

she turned to Anna, who, with a faintly perceptible resolute smile on her lips, was listening in silence to the conversation.
她转向安娜,那张嘴唇上勉强可察觉的坚定微笑,她默默地听着他们的谈话。

“I think,” said Anna, playing with the glove she had taken off, “I think. —
“我想,”安娜说着,玩弄着她脱下的手套,“我想。 —

..if so many men, so many minds, certainly so many hearts, so many kinds of love.”
..如果男人有那么多心思,爱情也会有那么多种。

Vronsky was gazing at Anna, and with a fainting heart waiting for what she would say. —
弗朗斯基望着安娜,心里虚弱地等待她要说什么。 —

He sighed as after a danger escaped when she uttered these words.
她说这些话时,他像是从危险中逃脱一般叹了口气。

Anna suddenly turned to him.
安娜突然转向他。

“Oh, I have had a letter from Moscow. They write me that Kitty Shtcherbatskaya’s very ill.”
“哦,我收到了一封来自莫斯科的信。他们告诉我基蒂·什切尔巴茨卡娅病得很厉害。”

“Really?” said Vronsky, knitting his brows.
“真的?”弗朗斯基皱起了眉头。

Anna looked sternly at him.
安娜严厉地看着他。

“That doesn’t interest you?”
“这对你来说无足轻重?”

“On the contrary, it does, very much. What was it exactly they told you, if I may know?” he questioned.
“恰恰相反,非常重要。如果可以,你能告诉我他们具体告诉你了什么吗?”他追问道。

Anna got up and went to Betsy.
安娜站起身走向贝茨。

“Give me a cup of tea,” she said, standing at her table.
“给我来杯茶,”她站在桌子边说道。

While Betsy was pouring out the tea, Vronsky went up to Anna.
贝茨倒茶的时候,弗朗斯基走到了安娜身边。

“What is it they write to you?” he repeated.
“他们给你写了什么?”他再次问道。

“I often think men have no understanding of what’s not honorable though they’re always talking of it,” said Anna, without answering him. —
“我常常觉得男人对于不光彩的事情毫无理解,虽然他们总是谈论着。” 安娜说道,没有回答他。 —

“I’ve wanted to tell you so a long while,” she added, and moving a few steps away, she sat down at a table in a corner covered with albums.
“我很久以前就想告诉你了。”她补充说,走几步离开,坐在一个角落的桌子旁边,桌子上铺满了相册。

“I don’t quite understand the meaning of your words,” he said, handing her the cup.
“我不太明白你话的意思。”他递给她杯子,说道。

she glanced towards the sofa beside her, and he instantly sat down.
她瞥了一眼她旁边的沙发,他立刻坐了下来。

“Yes, I have been wanting to tell you,” she said, not looking at him. —
“是的,我一直想告诉你。”她说,没有看着他。 —

“You behaved wrongly, very wrongly.”
“你的行为是错的,非常错的。”

“Do you suppose I don’t know that I’ve acted wrongly? But who was the cause of my doing so?”
“难道你以为我不知道我做错了吗?但是是谁导致我这样做的呢?”

“What do you say that to me for?” she said, glancing severely at him.
“你为什么对我这么说?”她严厉地瞥了他一眼。

“You know what for,” he answered boldly and joyfully, meeting her glance and not dropping his eyes.
“你知道为什么,”他大胆而欢快地回答道,与她的目光相遇,没有低下眼睛。

Not he, but she, was confused.
不是他,而是她,感到困惑。

“That only shows you have no heart,” she said. —
“这只能说明你没有心。”她说道。 —

But her eyes said that she knew he had a heat, and that was why she was afraid of him.
但她的眼神表明她知道他有一颗心,所以她害怕他。

“What you spoke of just now was a mistake, and not love.”
“你刚才说的是一个错误,而不是爱。”

“Remember that I have forbidden you to utter that word, that hateful word,” said Anna, with a shudder. —
“记住,我已经禁止你说那个词,那个可恶的词,”安娜战栗地说道。 —

But at once she felt that by that very word “forbidden” she had shown that she acknowledged certain rights over him, and by that very fact was encouraging him to speak of love. —
但她立刻感到,通过那个词“禁止”,她已经表明她承认对他有某种权利,而这个事实正鼓励他谈论爱。 —

“I have long meant to tell you this,” she went on, looking resolutely into his eyes, and hot all over from the burning flush on her cheeks. —
“我早就打算告诉你这个,”她继续说道,坚定地望着他的眼睛,由于她脸上灼热的潮红,浑身都热乎乎的。 —

“I’ve come on purpose this evening, knowing I should meet you. —
“我特意今晚来了,知道我会遇见你。” —

I have come to tell you that this must end. —
“我来告诉你,这必须结束了。” —

I have never blushed before anyone, and you force me to feel to blame for something.”
“以前我从来没有在任何人面前脸红过,而你让我感到自己对某件事情有责任。”

He looked at her and was struck by a new spiritual beauty in her face.
他注视着她,被她脸上新的精神美所打动。

“What do you wish of me?” he said simply and seriously.
“你希望我做什么?”他简单而认真地说道。

“I want you to go to Moscow and ask for Kitty’s forgiveness,” she said.
“我希望你去莫斯科求凯蒂的原谅,”她说。

“You don’t wish that?” he said.
“你不希望那样?”他说道。

He saw she was saying what she forced herself to say, not what she wanted to say.
他看到她说的是她强迫自己说的话,而不是她想要说的话。

“If you love me, as you say,” she whispered, “do so that I may be at peace.”
“如果你像你说的那样爱我,”她低声说道,“那么请让我安心吧。”

His face grew radiant.
他的脸变得光辉灿烂。

“Don’t you know that you’re all my life to me? But I know no peace, and I can’t give to you; —
“难道你不知道你对我来说就是我的全部吗?但是我找不到安宁,也给不了你; —

all myself–and love…yes. I can’t think of you and myself apart. You and I are one to me. —
全心全意地爱着…是的。我无法将你和我分开思考。你和我对我来说是一个整体。 —

And I see no chance before us of peace for me or for you. —
在我和你面前,我看不到任何和平的机会。 —

I see a chance of despair, of wretchedness…or I see a chance of bliss, what bliss!. —
我看到绝望的机会,痛苦的机会…或者我看到至高无上的幸福,多么幸福啊! —

.. Can it be there’s no chance of it?” he murmured with his lips; but she heard.
…难道没有可能吗?”他轻声呢喃着,但是她听到了。

She strained every effort of her mind to say what ought to be said. —
她使出了全力想说出应该说的话。 —

But instead of that she let her eyes rest on him, full of love, and made no answer.
但她没有回答,只是满含爱意地凝视着他。

“It’s come!” he thought in ecstasy. “When I was beginning to despair, and it seemed there would be no end–it’s come! —
“它来了!”他在欣喜中想道。“当我开始绝望,似乎没有尽头时——它来了! —

she loves me! She owns it!”
她爱我!她承认了!”

“Then do this for me: never say such things to me, and let us be friends,” she said in words; —
“那么,就为了我,请不要对我说这样的话,让我们做朋友。”她用语言说道; —

but her eyes spoke quite differently.
但是她的眼睛传达出完全不同的意思。

“Friends we shall never be, you know that yourself. —
“朋友,我们永远不能成为朋友,你自己也知道。” —

Whether we shall be the happiest or the wretchedest of people–that’s in your hands.”
“我们是否会成为最幸福或最不幸的人,这取决于你的决定。”

She would have said something, but he interrupted her.
她本想说些什么,但他打断了她。

“I ask one thing only: I ask for the right to hope, to suffer as I do. —
“我只求一件事:给我希望的权利,让我像你一样受苦。” —

But if even that cannot be, command me to disappear, and I disappear. —
“但是,如果连这都不可以,命令我离开,我会消失的。” —

You shall not see me if my presence is distasteful to you.”
“如果我的存在对你来说讨厌的话,你不会看到我的。”

“I don’t want to drive you away.”
“我不想赶走你。”

“Only don’t change anything, leave everything as it is,” he said in a shaky voice. —
“只是不要改变任何事情,让一切保持原样,”他用颤抖的声音说道。 —

“Here’s your husband.”
“这位是你的丈夫。”

At that instant Alexey Alexandrovitch did in fact walk into the room with his calm, awkward gait.
正在那一瞬间,亚历克谢·亚历山德罗维奇果然走进了房间,以他沉静而笨拙的步伐。

Glancing at his wife and Vronsky, he went up to the lady of the house, and sitting down for a cup of tea, began talking in his deliberate, always audible voice, in his habitual tone of banter, ridiculing someone.
他看了看妻子和弗朗斯基,然后走到女主人身边,坐下来喝茶,并以他那沉稳而始终可听到的声音,以他惯用的调侃口吻开始说话,嘲笑某人。

“Your Rambouillet is in full conclave,” he said, looking round at all the party; —
“你的兰布伊全员大会,”他环视着所有的人群说道,”风华绝代、才情出众。” —

“the graces and the muses.”
“宛如罗马宜家,人才济济,“他环视着全体成员。

But Princess Betsy could not endure that tone of his– “sneering,” as she called it, using the English word, and like a skillful hostess she at once brought him into a serious conversation on the subject of universal conscription. —
但是贝齐公主无法忍受他那种语气——她称之为“嘲笑”,用英语单词来称呼,就像一个熟练的女主人一样,她立刻让他加入到关于全民征兵的严肃对话中。 —

Alexey Alexandrovitch was immediately interested in the subject, and began seriously defending the new imperial decree against Princess Betsy, who had attacked it.
亚历克谢·亚历山德罗维奇立即对这个主题产生了兴趣,并开始认真为新出台的皇家法令辩护,反击贝齐公主的攻击。

Vronsky and Anna still sat at the little table.
弗龙斯基和安娜仍然坐在小桌旁。

“This is getting indecorous,” whispered one lady, with an expressive glance at Madame Karenina, Vronsky, and her husband.
“这样做不合适,”一位女士轻声说道,用有意味的眼神看着卡列宁娜夫人、弗龙斯基和她的丈夫。

“What did I tell you?” said Anna’s friend.
“我告诉你什么了吧?”安娜的朋友说。

But not only those ladies, almost everyone in the room, even the Princess Myakaya and Betsy herself, looked several times in the direction of the two who had withdrawn from the general circle, as though that were a disturbing fact. —
几乎每个房间里的人都朝着这两个人退到边缘的方向多看了几次,甚至包括梅亚卡娅公主和贝齐公主本人,仿佛那是一个令人不安的事实。 —

Alexey Alexandrovitch was the only person who did not once look in that direction, and was not diverted from the interesting discussion he had entered upon.
亚历克谢·亚历山德罗维奇是唯一一个没有一次朝着那个方向看过去,没有从他进入的有趣讨论中分心的人。

Noticing the disagreeable impression that was being made on everyone, Princess Betsy slipped someone else into her place to listen to Alexey Alexandrovitch, and went up to Anna.
注意到所有人都对此产生了不愉快的印象,贝丝蒂公主将别人换到她的位置上听亚历克谢·亚历山德罗维奇讲话,并走向安娜。

“I’m always amazed at the clearness and precision of your husband’s language,” she said. —
“您丈夫的语言清晰而准确,总是让我惊叹不已。”她说道。 —

“The most transcendental ideas seem to be within my grasp when he’s speaking.”
“他讲话时似乎把最深奥的思想都变得浅显易懂。”

“Oh, yes!” said Anna, radiant with a smile of happiness, and not understanding a word of what Betsy had said. —
“是的,”安娜兴高采烈地笑道,完全听不懂贝丝蒂的话。 —

She crossed over to the big table and took part in the general conversation.
她走向大桌子,加入了普遍的谈话。

Alexey Alexandrovitch, after staying half an hour, went up to his wife and suggested that they should go home together. —
亚历克谢·亚历山德罗维奇在停留半个小时后走到妻子身边,建议他们一起回家。 —

But she answered, not looking at him, that she was staying to supper. —
但是她没有看着他,回答说她要在这里吃晚饭。 —

Alexey Alexandrovitch made his bows and withdrew.
亚历克谢·亚历山德罗维奇行了行礼,离开了。

The fat old Tatar, Madame Karenina’s coachman, was with difficulty holding one of her pair of grays, chilled with the cold and rearing at the entrance. —
肥胖的老塔塔尔人,卡列尼娜夫人的马车夫,好不容易才控制住她一双被冻僵并且往上扬的灰色马匹,站在入口处。 —

A footman stood opening the carriage door. —
一个侍者正打开马车门。 —

The hall porter stood holding open the great door of the house. —
门房站在大门前, 打开大门。 —

Anna Arkadyevna, with her quick little hand, was unfastening the lace of her sleeve, caught in the hook of her fur cloak, and with bent head listening to the words Vronsky murmured as he escorted her down.
安娜·阿尔卡季耶芙娜用她灵巧的小手解开困在皮毛披风扣环里的袖子上的蕾丝, 低头聆听弗朗斯基说的话, 他陪着她下楼。

“You’ve said nothing, of course, and I ask nothing,” he was saying; —
“你当然什么都没说, 我也什么都没要求,” 他说着; —

“but you know that friendship’s not what I want: —
“但你知道我不想要友谊: —

that there’s only one happiness in life for me, that word that you dislike so…yes, love!…”
我生活中只有一种幸福, 是你不喜欢的那个词…是的, 爱!…”

“Love,” she repeated slowly, in an inner voice, and suddenly, at the very instant she unhooked the lace, she added, “Why I don’t like the word is that it means too much to me, far more than you can understand,” and she glanced into his face. “Au revoir!”
“爱,” 她以内心的声音慢慢重复着, 突然, 就在她解开蕾丝的那一瞬间, 她补充道, “我不喜欢这个词是因为它对我来说意义太重大了, 远远超过你的理解,” 她瞥了他一眼, “再见!”

She gave him her hand, and with her rapid, springy step she passed by the porter and vanished into the carriage.
她给了他她的手, 以她快速有力的步伐经过门房, 离开了马车。

Her glance, the touch of her hand, set him aflame. —
她的一眼, 她的手触摸, 使他燃烧起来。 —

He kissed the palm of his hand where she had touched it, and went home, happy in the sense that he had got nearer to the attainment of his aims that evening than during the last two months.
他吻了吻她触摸过的手心,然后回到了家,心里对于当晚比过去两个月更接近自己的目标感到开心。