“So you see,” pursued Nikolay Levin, painfully wrinkling his forehead and twitching.
“你看,”尼古拉·列文继续说道,额头紧皱,眉头抽搐。

It was obviously difficult for him to think of what to say and do.
显然对他而言,想要想出该说什么和该做什么很困难。

“Here, do you see?”… He pointed to some sort of iron bars, fastened together with strings, lying in a corner of the room. —
“你看,这里,”他指了指房间一角放着的一些用绳子捆绑在一起的铁条。 —

“Do you see that? That’s the beginning of a new thing we’re going into. —
“你看到了吗?那是我们要投入的新事物的开端。 —

It’s a productive association…”
这是一个有成效的合作组织……”

Konstantin scarcely heard him. He looked into his sickly, consumptive face, and he was more and more sorry for him, and he could not force himself to listen to what his brother was telling him about the association. —
康斯坦丁几乎听不进去。他看着他病态、患有结核病的脸,对他越来越感到心疼,但他无法强迫自己倾听他兄弟关于这个合作组织的说辞。 —

He saw that this association was a mere anchor to save him from self-contempt. —
他看出这个组织只是一个锚,用来让他逃脱自卑。 —

Nikolay Levin went on talking:
尼古拉·列文继续说道:

“You know that capital oppresses the laborer. —
“你知道,资本压迫劳动者。 —

The laborers with us, the peasants, bear all the burden of labor, and are so placed that however much they work they can’t escape from their position of beasts of burden. —
我们这里的工人,农民们,承担了所有的劳动重担,并处于这样一个位置,无论他们工作多少,都无法摆脱牲畜的身份。” —

All the profits of labor, on which they might improve their position, and gain leisure for themselves, and after that education, all the surplus values are taken from them by the capitalists. —
所有劳动的利润,他们可以改善自己的状况,为自己赢得闲暇,并且接受教育的所有剩余价值都被资本家夺走了。 —

And society’s so constituted that the harder they work, the greater the profit of the merchants and landowners, while they stay beasts of burden to the end. —
而且社会的组织是这样的,他们越努力工作,商人和地主的利润就越大,而他们始终是担当的劳动力。 —

And that state of things must be changed,” he finished up, and he looked questioningly at his brother.
这种情况必须改变,”他结束了讲话,然后疑惑地看着他的兄弟。

“Yes, of course,” said Konstantin, looking at the patch of red that had come out on his brother’s projecting cheek bones.
“是的,当然,”康斯坦丁说道,目光落在他兄弟高高的颧骨上冒出的红斑上。

“And so we’re founding a locksmiths’ association, where all the production and profit and the chief instruments of production will be in common.”
“因此,我们正在建立一个锁匠协会,所有的生产和利润以及主要生产工具都将共有。

“Where is the association to be?” asked Konstantin Levin.
“协会在哪里?”康斯坦丁·列文问道。

“In the village of Vozdrem, Kazan government.”
“在伏日翁村,喀山省。

“But why in a village? In the villages, I think, there is plenty of work as it is. —
“但是为什么在一个村子里?我认为村子里已经有足够的工作了。 —

Why a locksmiths’ association in a village?”
为什么在村子里建立一个锁匠协会?”

“Why? Because the peasants are just as much slaves as they ever were, and that’s why you and Sergey Ivanovitch don’t like people to try and get them out of their slavery,” said Nikolay Levin, exasperated by the objection.
“为什么?因为农民和以前一样成为奴隶,这就是你和谢尔盖·伊凡诺维奇不喜欢有人试图让他们摆脱奴役的原因,“尼古拉·列文沮丧地说道。

Konstantin Levin sighed, looking meanwhile about the cheerless and dirty room. —
康斯坦丁·列文叹了口气,同时环顾了一下这个令人沮丧和肮脏的房间。 —

This sigh seemed to exasperate Nikolay still more.
这口叹息似乎更加激怒了尼古拉。

“I know your and Sergey Ivanovitch’s aristocratic views. —
“我知道你和谢尔盖·伊凡诺维奇的贵族观点。 —

I know that he applies all the power of his intellect to justify existing evils.”
我知道他动用了他全部的智慧来辩解现存的罪恶。“

“No; and what do you talk of Sergey Ivanovitch for?” said Levin, smiling.
”不,你为什么要提谢尔盖·伊凡诺维奇呢?“列文微笑道。

“Sergey Ivanovitch? I’ll tell you what for!” —
“谢尔盖·伊凡诺维奇?我告诉你为什么!“ —

Nikolay Levin shrieked suddenly at the name of Sergey Ivanovitch. “I’ll tell you what for. —
尼古拉突然在谢尔盖·伊凡诺维奇的名字上尖叫起来。“我告诉你为什么。 —

… But what’s the use of talking? There’s only one thing…. What did you come to me for? —
但是谈论有什么用呢?只有一件事……你来找我为什么? —

You look down on this, and you’re welcome to,–and go away, in God’s name go away!” —
你看不起这一切,你可以走了,上帝的名字走吧!“ —

he shrieked, getting up from his chair. “And go away, and go away!”
他从椅子上站起来尖叫道。“走开,走开!”

“I don’t look down on it at all,” said Konstantin Levin timidly. “I don’t even dispute it.”
“我一点也不看不起它”,康斯坦丁·列文小心地说道。“我甚至不争辩。”

At that instant Marya Nikolaevna came back. —
正在这时,玛丽亚·尼古拉耶芙娜回来了。 —

Nikolay Levin looked round angrily at her. —
尼古拉·列文生气地朝她瞪了一眼。 —

She went quickly to him, and whispered something.
她迅速走向他,低声说了些什么。

“I’m not well; I’ve grown irritable,” said Nikolay Levin, getting calmer and breathing painfully; —
“我不舒服了;我越来越易怒了,呼吸也痛苦”,尼古拉·列文说,越来越平静。 —

“and then you talk to me of Sergey Ivanovitch and his article. —
“然后你对我说谢尔盖·伊凡诺维奇和他的文章。 —

It’s such rubbish, such lying, such self-deception. —
这真是胡说八道,这真是谎言,这真是自欺欺人。 —

What can a man write of justice who knows nothing of it? Have you read his article?” —
一个对正义一无所知的人能写出什么?你读过他的文章吗?” —

he asked Kritsky, sitting down again at the table, and moving back off half of it the scattered cigarettes, so as to clear a space.
他问克里茨基,又坐回到桌子旁,把散落的香烟拨到一边,清理出一片空地。

“I’ve not read it,” Kritsky responded gloomily, obviously not desiring to enter into the conversation.
“我没读过”,克里茨基沮丧地回答,显然不想加入对话。

“Why not?” said Nikolay Levin, now turning with exasperation upon Kritsky.
“为什么不?”尼古拉·列文轮到克里茨基时,已经恼火了。

“Because I didn’t see the use of wasting my time over it.”
“因为我觉得那是浪费我时间”。

“Oh, but excuse me, how did you know it would be wasting your time? —
“哦,但请原谅,你怎么知道那会是浪费你的时间呢? —

That article’s too deep for many people–that’s to say it’s over their heads. —
那篇文章对很多人来说太深了,也就是说,他们无法理解。 —

But with me, it’s another thing; I see through his ideas, and I know where its weakness lies.”
但是对我来说,情况就不一样了,我看穿他的思想,知道它的弱点所在。

Everyone was mute. Kritsky got up deliberately and reached his cap.
大家都沉默了。克里茨基故意站起来拿起了他的帽子。

“Won’t you have supper? All right, good-bye! Come round tomorrow with the locksmith.”
“你要不要吃晚饭?好吧,再见!明天带上锁匠来。”

Kritsky had hardly gone out when Nikolay Levin smiled and winked.
克里茨基刚走出去,尼古拉·列文笑了笑,眨了眨眼。

“He’s no good either,” he said. “I see, of course…”
“他也没用,”他说。 “我当然看得出来…”

But at that instant Kritsky, at the door, called him…
但就在那一瞬间,克里茨基在门口叫道…

“What do you want now?” he said, and went out to him in the passage. —
“你现在想怎么样?”他说,并走出去去见他。 —

Left alone with Marya Nikolaevna, Levin turned to her.
和玛丽娅·尼古拉耶芙娜单独在一起时,列文转向她。

“Have you been long with my brother?” he said to her.
“你和我哥哥在一起多久了?”他问她。

“Yes, more than a year. Nikolay Dmitrievitch’s health has become very poor. —
“是的,已经一年多了。尼古拉·德米特里耶维奇的健康变得很差。 —

Nikolay Dmitrievitch drinks a great deal,” she said.
尼古拉·德米特里耶维奇喝了很多酒,”她说。

“That is…how does he drink?”
“那是…他怎么喝?”

“Drinks vodka, and it’s bad for him.”
“喝伏特加,对他不好。”

“And a great deal?” whispered Levin.
“而且还喝很多吗?”列文低声问道。

“Yes,” she said, looking timidly towards the doorway, where Nikolay Levin had reappeared.
“是的”,她腼腆地朝着门口看了一眼,尼古拉·列文又出现了。

“What were you talking about?” he said, knitting his brows, and turning his scarred eyes from one to the other. “What was it?”
“你们在谈什么?”他皱着眉头说道,把疤痕累累的眼睛从一个人转向另一个人。“是什么事?”

“Oh, nothing,” Konstantin answered in confusion.
“哦,没什么”,孔斯坦丁困惑地回答道。

“Oh, if you don’t want to say, don’t. Only it’s no good your talking to her. —
“哦,如果你不想说,就别说。只是你跟她说没什么用。 —

She’s a wench, and you’re a gentleman,” he said with a jerk of the neck. —
她是个妞,你是绅士,“他颈部一扭,说道。 —

“You understand everything, I see, and have taken stock of everything, and look with commiseration on my shortcomings,” he began again, raising his voice.
“我看你什么都懂,什么都看透了,对我的缺点心生怜悯”,他又提高了声音。

“Nikolay Dmitrievitch, Nikolay Dmitrievitch,” whispered Marya Nikolaevna, again going up to him.
“尼古拉·德米特里耶维奇,尼古拉·德米特里耶维奇”,玛丽亚·尼古拉耶芙娜低声说着,再次走向他。

“Oh, very well, very well!… But where’s the supper? —
“哦,好吧,好吧!…可是晚餐在哪儿? —

Ah, here it is,” he said, seeing a waiter with a tray. —
啊,来了,“他看到一个拿着托盘的服务员说道。 —

“Here, set it here,” he added angrily, and promptly seizing the vodka, he poured out a glassful and drank it greedily. —
“放这儿,放这儿,”他生气地补充道,迅速拿起伏特加酒,倒了一杯,贪婪地喝着。 —

“Like a drink?” he turned to his brother, and at once became better humored.
”喝一杯吗?”他转向他的兄弟,立刻心情好了起来。

“Well, enough of Sergey Ivanovitch. I’m glad to see you, anyway. —
“好了,不说了,我很高兴见到你,无论如何。” —

After all’s said and done, we’re not strangers. Come, have a drink. —
“说了这么多,我们可不是陌生人。来,喝一杯。” —

Tell me what you’re doing,” he went on, greedily munching a piece of bread, and pouring out another glassful. —
“告诉我你在干什么,”他一边贪婪地咬着一块面包,一边倒满另一杯酒。 —

“How are you living?”
“你现在过得怎么样?”

“I live alone in the country, as I used to. —
“我一个人住在乡村,就像以前一样。” —

I’m busy looking after the land,” answered Konstantin, watching with horror the greediness with which his brother ate and drank, and trying to conceal that he noticed it.
看着哥哥贪婪地吃喝,康斯坦丁心中感到恐惧,他试图掩饰自己注意到这一点。

“Why don’t you get married?”
“为什么不结婚?”

“It hasn’t happened so,” Konstantin answered, reddening a little.
“还没碰巧,”康斯坦丁微红着脸回答道。

“Why not? For me now…everything’s at an end! I’ve made a mess of my life. —
“为什么不呢?对我来说…一切都结束了!我把我的生活搞糟了。” —

But this I’ve said, and I say still, that if my share had been given me when I needed it, my whole life would have been different.”
“但这一点我已经说过,现在还是这样说,如果我在需要的时候得到了我的份额,我的整个生活会完全不同。”

Konstantin made haste to change the conversation.
康斯坦丁赶忙换个话题。

“Do you know your little Vanya’s with me, a clerk in the countinghouse at Pokrovskoe.”
“你知道你的小儿子瓦尼亚跟我在一起,在波克罗夫斯科耶做会计。”

Nikolay jerked his neck, and sank into thought.
尼古拉抽了一下脖子,陷入沉思。

“Yes, tell me what’s going on at Pokrovskoe. —
“告诉我,Pokrovskoe发生了什么事情。” —

Is the house standing still, and the birch trees, and our schoolroom? —
“房子还在吗,白桦树还在吗,我们的教室还在吗?” —

And Philip the gardener, is he living? How I remember the arbor and the seat! —
“菲利普园丁还活着吗?我多么怀念那个凉亭和座位!” —

Now mind and don’t alter anything in the house, but make haste and get married, and make everything as it used to be again. —
“现在注意,不要对房子做任何改动,但请赶快结婚,把一切恢复如旧。” —

Then I’ll come and see you, if your wife is nice.”
“那样我会过来看你的,如果你妻子人好的话。”

“But come to me now,” said Levin. “How nicely we would arrange it!”
“但是现在就来见我吧。”列文说,“我们可以好好安排。”

I’d come and see you if I were sure I should not find Sergey Ivanovitch.”
“我会去看你的,如果我确定我不会在那里遇到谢尔盖·伊万诺维奇的话。”

“You wouldn’t find him there. I live quite independently of him.”
“你不会在那儿找到他的。我和他完全独立。”

“Yes, but say what you like, you will have to choose between me and him,” he said, looking timidly into his brother’s face.
“是的,但是不管怎么说,你必须在我和他之间做出选择。”他胆怯地看着他兄弟的脸。

This timidity touch Konstantin.
这种胆怯感动了科斯丁。

“If you want to hear my confession of faith on the subject, I tell you that in your quarrel with Sergey Ivanovitch I take neither side. —
“如果你想听我对此信仰的表白,我告诉你,在你和谢尔盖·伊凡诺维奇的争执中,我不站任何一边。 —

You’re both wrong. You’re more wrong externally, and he inwardly.”
“你们都错了。外表上你更错,内心上他更错。”

“Ah, ah! You see that, you see that!” Nikolay shouted joyfully.
“啊,啊!你看到那个了吗,你看到那个了吗!” 尼古拉高兴地喊道。

“But I personally value friendly relations with you more because…”
“但是我个人更重视与你的友好关系,因为……”

“Why, why?”
“为什么,为什么?”

Konstantin could not say that he valued it more because Nikolay was unhappy, and needed affection. —
康斯坦丁不能说他更重视它是因为尼古拉不开心,需要关爱。 —

But Nikolay knew that this was just what he meant to say, and scowling he took up the vodka again.
但是尼古拉知道这正是他打算说的,他皱起眉头,再次拿起伏特加。

“Enough, Nikolay Dmitrievitch!” said Marya Nikolaevna, stretching out her plump, bare arm towards the decanter.
“够了,尼古拉·德米特里耶维奇!” 玛丽亚·尼古拉耶芙娜伸出丰满光洁的手臂指向酒瓶。

“Let it be! Don’t insist! I’ll beat you!” he shouted.
“就这样吧!不要再坚持了!我会打你的!” 他喊道。

Marya Nikolaevna smiled a sweet and good-humored smile, which was at once reflected on Nikolay’s face, and she took the bottle.
玛丽亚·尼古拉耶芙娜发出了一个甜美和亲切的微笑,尼古拉的脸上立刻映现出了同样的表情,她拿起了酒瓶。

“And do you suppose she understands nothing?” said Nikolay. —
“难道你以为她什么都不懂吗?” 尼古拉说。 —

“She understands it all better than any of us. —
“她比我们任何人都更明白一切。难道不是吗?” —

Isn’t it true there’s something good and sweet in her?”
“她里面有一些好的、甜蜜的东西,对吗?”

“Were you never before in Moscow?” Konstantin said to her, for the sake of saying something.
“你以前从未去过莫斯科吗?” 康斯坦丁对她说,只是为了说点什么。

“Only you mustn’t be polite and stiff with her. It frightens her. —
“只是你不要对她客套生分。这会让她害怕。 —

No one ever spoke to her so but the justices of the peace who tried her for trying to get out of a house of ill-fame. —
除了审判她试图逃离烟花楼的治安官之外,没有人与她说过话。 —

Mercy on us, the senselessness in the world!” he cried suddenly. —
“天哪,世界上的荒唐!”他突然喊道。 —

“These new institutions, these justices of the peace, rural councils, what hideousness it all is!”
“这些新机构,这些治安官、乡村委员会,多么丑陋啊!”

And he began to enlarge on his encounters with the new institutions.
他开始详细谈论他与这些新机构的遭遇。

Konstantin Levin heard him, and the disbelief in the sense of all public institutions, which he shared with him, and often expressed, was distasteful to him now from his brother’s lips.
柯南斯坦丁·列文听着他的话,他与兄弟共有的对所有公共机构缺乏信任的感觉,现在从他兄弟的嘴里听起来很不舒服。

“In another world we shall understand it all,” he said lightly.
“在另一个世界,我们会理解这一切”,他轻松地说。

“In another world! Ah, I don’t like that other world! —
“在另一个世界!啊,我不喜欢那个另一个世界!” —

I don’t like it,” he said, letting his scared eyes rest on his brother’s eyes. —
“我不喜欢它”,他说着,让他害怕的眼睛盯着他兄弟的眼睛。 —

“Here one would think that to get out of all the baseness and the mess, one’s own and other people’s, would be a good thing, and yet I’m afraid of death, awfully afraid of death.” —
“在这儿,人们会认为摆脱一切卑劣和混乱,无论是自己的还是别人的,都是好事,然而我害怕死亡,非常害怕死亡。” —

He shuddered. “But do drink something. Would you like some champagne? Or shall we go somewhere? —
他颤抖着说道:“但是请喝一些东西。你想来点香槟吗?或者我们去别地方吧?” —

Let’s go to the Gypsies! Do you know I have got so fond of the Gypsies and Russian songs.”
“我们去找吉普赛人吧!你知道吗,我已经对吉普赛人和俄罗斯歌曲非常喜欢。”

His speech had begun to falter, and he passed abruptly from one subject to another. —
他的讲话开始支吾了起来,突然转到另一个话题上。 —

Konstantin with the help of Masha persuaded him not to go out anywhere, and got him to bed hopelessly drunk.
康斯坦丁和玛莎的帮助下,成功劝说他不要出去,然后把他灌醉带到床上。

Masha promised to write to Konstantin in case of need, and to persuade Nikolay Levin to go and stay with his brother.
玛莎答应会在需要的时候写信给康斯坦丁,并说服尼古拉·列文去和他的兄弟住一段时间。