The prince communicated his good humor to his own family and his friends, and even to the German landlord in whose rooms the Shtcherbatskys were staying.
王子将他的好心情传达给自己的家人和朋友,甚至传达给了斯切尔巴茨基一家在德国房东的住处。

On coming back with Kitty from the springs, the prince, who had asked the colonel, and Marya Yevgenyevna, and Varenka all to come and have coffee with them, gave orders for a table and chairs to be taken into the garden under the chestnut tree, and lunch to be laid there. —
与基蒂从温泉回来时,王子请陈列官、玛丽娅·叶甫根尼耶芙娜和瓦伦卡一起来喝咖啡,他下令把一张桌子和椅子搬到花园里的栗树下,准备在那里用午餐。 —

The landlord and the servants, too, grew brisker under the influence of his good spirits. —
房东和仆人们也因他的好心情而变得更加快活起来。 —

They knew his open-handedness; and half an hour later the invalid doctor from Hamburg, who lived on the top floor, looked enviously out of the window at the merry party of healthy Russians assembled under the chestnut tree. —
他们知道他慷慨的本性;半个小时后,住在顶层的来自汉堡的病号医生羡慕地从窗户望着花园里的一群健康的俄罗斯人聚集在栗树下。 —

In the trembling circles of shadow cast by the leaves, at a table, covered with a white cloth, and set with coffeepot, bread-and-butter, cheese, and cold game, sat the princess in a high cap with lilac ribbons, distributing cups and bread-and-butter. —
在树叶投下的颤抖的阴影圈里,有一张用白布覆盖的桌子,桌上放着咖啡壶、面包和黄油、奶酪和冷肉,公主戴着紫色丝带的高帽子坐在那里,正在分发杯子和面包和黄油。 —

At the other end sat the prince, eating heartily, and talking loudly and merrily. —
在另一头,王子吃得开心,大声地谈笑着。 —

The prince had spread out near him his purchases, carved boxes, and knick-knacks, paper-knives of all sorts, of which he bought a heap at every watering-place, and bestowed them upon everyone, including Lieschen, the servant girl, and the landlord, with whom he jested in his comically bad German, assuring him that it was not the water had cured Kitty, but his splendid cookery, especially his plum soup. —
王子将他的购买品,雕刻的盒子和小饰品展开,各种削刀一堆又一堆地买买买,在每一个温泉地都送给了大家,包括丽舒(Lieschen)这个仆人和旅馆老板,他用滑稽的德语和老板开玩笑,告诉他不是温泉水治愈了凯蒂,而是他精妙的烹饪,尤其是他的梅子汤。 —

The princess laughed at her husband for his Russian ways, but she was more lively and good-humored than she had been all the while she had been at the waters. —
公主嘲笑丈夫的俄罗斯方式,但她比在温泉时更活泼和好心情。 —

The colonel smiled, as he always did, at the prince’s jokes, but as far as regards Europe, of which he believed himself to be making a careful study, he took the princess’s side. —
上校常常面带微笑,特别是在王子讲笑话时,但就欧洲问题而言,他认为自己一直在认真研究,他支持公主的观点。 —

The simple-hearted Marya Yevgenyevna simply roared with laughter at everything absurd the prince said, and his jokes made Varenka helpless with feeble but infectious laughter, which was something Kitty had never seen before.
纯真的玛丽亚·叶甫根尼耶夫娜对王子说的一切荒谬话都笑得哈哈大笑,而她的笑声让瓦伦卡也无力地陷入笑声中,这是吉蒂以前从未见过的现象。

Kitty was glad of all this, but she could not be light-hearted. —
吉蒂为这一切感到高兴,但她无法轻松愉快。 —

she could not solve the problem her father had unconsciously set her by his goodhumored view of her friends, and of the life that had so attracted her. —
她无法解决她父亲对她的朋友和令她如此向往的生活的好心态所设下的难题。 —

To this doubt there was joined the change in her relations with the Petrovs, which had been so conspicuously and unpleasantly marked that morning. —
她的与彼得罗夫斯家族的关系发生了明显而不愉快的变化,这使她感到困扰。 —

Everyone was good humored, but Kitty could not feel good humored, and this increased her distress. —
每个人都心情很好,但吉蒂无法感受到好心情,这让她更加烦恼。 —

She felt a feeling such as she had known in childhood, when she had been shut in her room as a punishment, and had heard her sisters’ merry laughter outside.
她感到一种童年时代的感觉,那时她因为惩罚被关在房间里,听到姐妹们在外面的欢声笑语。

“Well, but what did you buy this mass of things for?” —
“嗯,但是你买这么多东西是为了什么?” —

said the princess, smiling, and handing her husband a cup of coffee.
公主笑着把一杯咖啡递给她的丈夫。

“One goes for a walk, one looks in a shop, and they ask you to buy. ‘Erlaucht, Durchlaucht?’ —
“人们出去散步,看到商店,就会要求你买东西。’殿下,阁下?’ —

Directly they say ‘Durchlaucht,’ I can’t hold out. —
一旦他们说‘阁下’,我就忍不住了。 —

I lose ten thalers.”
我就亏了十个泰勒。”

“It’s simply from boredom,” said the princess.
“这纯粹是因为无聊,”公主说。

“Of course it is. Such boredom, my dear, that one doesn’t know what to do with oneself.”
“当然是因为无聊。亲爱的,是那种无聊,让人不知道该怎么办才好。”

“How can you be bored, prince? There’s so much that’s interesting now in Germany,” said Marya Yevgenyevna.
“亲王,你怎么会觉得无聊?现在在德国有这么多有趣的东西,”玛丽亚·叶甫根耶芙娜说。

“But I know everything that’s interesting: —
“但是我对所有有趣的东西都了如指掌: —

the plum soup I know, and the pea sausages I know. —
我知道李子汤,我知道豌豆肉肠。 —

I know everything.”
我知道一切。”

“No, you may say what you like, prince, there’s the interest of their institutions,” said the colonel.
“不,您可以说什么都好,亲王,他们的制度是有趣的,”上校说。

“But what is there interesting about it? They’re all as pleased as brass halfpence. —
“但是有什么有趣的呢?他们都高兴得像铜板一样。 —

They’ve conquered everybody, and why am I to be pleased at that? I haven’t conquered anyone; —
他们征服了每个人,我为什么要对此感到高兴?我没有征服任何人; —

and I’m obliged to take off my own boots, yes, and put them away too; —
我还得脱下自己的靴子,并把它们放好; —

in the morning, get up and dress at once, and go to the dining room to drink bad tea! —
早上,立即起床穿衣服,去餐厅喝难喝的茶! —

How different it is at home! You get up in no haste, you get cross, grumble a little, and come round again. —
在家里多么不同啊!你不匆忙起床,有些生气,抱怨一下,然后又恢复过来。 —

You’ve time to think things over, and no hurry.”
你有时间考虑事情,不需要着急。

“But time’s money, you forget that,” said the colonel.
“但时间就是金钱,你忘了吗?”上校说。

“Time, indeed, that depends! Why, there’s time one would give a month of for sixpence, and time you wouldn’t give half an hour of for any money. —
“时间,这得看情况!嗯,有些时间可以为了六便士付出一个月,而有些时间不会花半小时换任何的钱。 —

Isn’t that so, Katinka? What is it? why are you so depressed?”
这是真的吗,卡欣娜?怎么了?为什么你这么沮丧?

“I’m not depressed.”
“我没沮丧。”

“Where are you off to? Stay a little longer,” he said to Varenka.
“你要去哪儿?再多呆一会儿吧,”他对瓦仁卡说。

“I must be going home,” said Varenka, getting up, and again she went off into a giggle. —
“我必须回家了,”瓦仁卡说着站起身,又笑了起来。 —

When she had recovered, she said good-bye, and went into the house to get her hat.
她恢复过来后,道别后走进屋子里拿帽子。

Kitty followed her. Even Varenka struck her as different. —
凯蒂跟了上去。就连瓦仁卡也给她一种不同的感觉。 —

She was not worse, but different from what she had fancied her before.
她并不是更糟,只是不同于她之前所幻想的。

“Oh, dear! it’s a long while since I’ve laughed so much!” —
“哦,亲爱的!好久没笑得这么开心了!” —

said Varenka, gathering up her parasol and her bag. —
瓦伦卡说着,收拾起她的阳伞和包。 —

“How nice he is, your father!”
“你爸爸真好!”

Kitty did not speak.
凯蒂没有说话。

“When shall I see you again?” asked Varenka.
“什么时候能再见到你?”瓦伦卡问道。

“Mamma meant to go and see the Petrovs. Won’t you be there?” said Kitty, to try Varenka.
“妈妈打算去看彼得洛夫一家。你会在那儿吗?”凯蒂试探地问瓦伦卡。

“Yes,” answered Varenka. “They’re getting ready to go away, so I promised to help them pack.”
“对,他们准备离开,所以我答应帮他们打包。”

“Well, I’ll come too, then.”
“好吧,那我也去。”

“No, why should you?”
“不,你为什么要去?”

“Why not? why not? why not?” said Kitty, opening her eyes wide, and clutching at Varenka’s parasol, so as not to let her go. —
“为什么不呢?为什么不呢?为什么不呢?”凯蒂睁大眼睛,抓住瓦伦卡的阳伞,不让她走。 —

“No, wait a minute; why not?”
“不,等一下,为什么不呢?”

“Oh, nothing; your father has come, and besides, they will feel awkward at your helping.”
“哦,没什么,你爸爸来了,而且,你帮忙可能会让他们感到尴尬。”

“No, tell me why you don’t want me to be often at the Petrovs’. You don’t want me to–why not?”
“不,告诉我为什么你不希望我经常去彼得洛夫家?你不希望我去——为什么?”

“I didn’t say that,” said Varenka quietly.
“我没有说过那样的话。”瓦伦卡平静地回答道。

“No, please tell me!”
“不,请告诉我!”

“Tell you everything?” asked Varenka.
“你要我告诉你一切吗?”瓦伦卡问道。

“Everything, everything!” Kitty assented.
“一切,全部都要!”凯蒂表示同意。

“Well, there’s really nothing of any consequence; —
“嗯,其实没有什么重要的事情; —

only that Mihail Alexeyevitch” (that was the artist’s name) “had meant to leave earlier, and now he doesn’t want to go away,” said Varenka, smiling.
只是米哈伊尔·阿列克谢耶维奇(那位艺术家的名字)本来想早点离开,现在却不想走了。”瓦伦卡微笑着说。

“Well, well!” Kitty urged impatiently, looking darkly at Varenka.
“喂,喂!”凯蒂不耐烦地催促着,愤怒地看着瓦伦卡。

“Well, and for some reason Anna Pavlovna told him that he didn’t want to go because you are here. —
“嗯,由于某种原因,安娜·帕夫洛夫娜告诉他,他不想离开是因为你在这里。 —

Of course, that was nonsense; but there was a dispute over it–over you. You know how irritable these sick people are.”
当然,那是胡说八道;但是他们为此争吵了一番——关于你。你知道病人们多易怒。”

Kitty, scowling more than ever, kept silent, and Varenka went on speaking alone, trying to soften or soothe her, and seeing a storm coming–she did not know whether of tears or of words.
凯蒂更加怒容满面,保持沉默,瓦伦卡继续单独说话,试图缓和或安抚她,看着一场风暴即将来临——她不知道是哭泣还是言辞的风暴。

“So you’d better not go…. You understand; you won’t be offended?…”
“所以你最好不要走了……你明白吗?你不会生气的吧?……”

“And it serves me right! And it serves me right!” —
“我活该!我活该!”凯蒂迅速地大喊,夺过瓦伦卡手中的阳伞,目光穿过朋友的脸。 —

Kitty cried quickly, snatching the parasol out of Varenka’s hand, and looking past her friend’s face.
凯蒂的脸色变得更加阴沉,保持沉默,瓦伦卡继续单独说话,试图缓和或安抚她,看着一场风暴即将来临——她不知道是哭泣还是言辞的风暴。

Varenka felt inclined to smile, looking at her childish fury, but she was afraid of wounding her.
瓦连卡看着她孩子气的愤怒,感觉有些想笑,但她害怕伤害到她。

“How does it serve you right? I don’t understand,” she said.
“怎么说是活该呢?我不明白。”她说道。

“It serves me right, because it was all sham; —
“是活该,因为那都是虚伪的; —

because it was all done on purpose, and not from the heart. —
因为那全都是有意为之,并非出于真心。 —

What business had I to interfere with outsiders? —
我凭什么干涉外人的事? —

And so it’s come about that I’m a cause of quarrel, and that I’ve done what nobody asked me to do. —
所以现在闹成了一场争端,我做了没有人让我做的事。 —

Because it was all a sham! a sham! a sham! …”
因为那全都是虚伪!虚伪!虚伪!……”

“A sham! with what object?” said Varenka gently.
“虚伪!为了什么目的?”瓦连卡温和地说道。

“Oh, it’s so idiotic! so hateful! There was no need whatever for me. —
“哦,这太愚蠢了!太可恨了!根本没必要让我出现。 —

… Nothing but sham!” she said, opening and shutting the parasol.
……全是虚伪!”她说着一边打开一边关闭着阳伞。

“But with what object?”
“但是为了什么目的?”

“To seem better to people, to myself, to God; to deceive everyone. No! —
“为了让别人看起来更好,为了我自己,为了上帝;为了欺骗每个人。不! —

now I won’t descend to that. I’ll be bad; —
现在我不会屈服于那样了。我会做坏事; —

but anyway not a liar, a cheat.”
但无论如何不会做骗子,不会欺骗。”

“But who is a cheat?” said Varenka reproachfully. “You speak as if…”
“但是谁是欺骗者?”瓦连卡责备地说道。“你说得好像……”

But Kitty was in one of her gusts of fury, and she would not let her finish.
但是基蒂正处在她愤怒的一刻,她不会让她说完。

“I don’t talk about you, not about you at all. You’re perfection. —
“我不会谈论你,一点都不会。你是完美的。 —

Yes, yes, I know you’re all perfection; but what am I to do if I’m bad? —
是的,是的,我知道你们都是完美的;但是如果我不好怎么办? —

This would never have been if I weren’t bad. So let me be what I am. I won’t be a sham. —
如果我不好,这一切都不会发生。所以就让我保持原来的样子吧。我不会做假的。 —

What have I to do with Anna Pavlovna? Let them go their way, and me go mine. —
我与安娜·巴甫洛芙娜有什么关系呢?让他们走各自的路,我走我的。 —

I can’t be different…. And yet it’s not that, it’s not that.”
我不能改变…但也不是这个原因,不是这个原因。

“What is not that?” asked Varenka in bewilderment.
“不是这个原因?”瓦仁卡困惑地问道。

“Everything. I can’t act except from the heart, and you act from principle. —
“一切都不是。我不能只按照原则行事,而你就只按原则行事。 —

I liked you simply, but you most likely only wanted to save me, to improve me.”
我只是简单地喜欢你,而你很可能只是想拯救我,改变我。

“You are unjust,” said Varenka.
你是不公正的,”瓦仁卡说。

“But I’m not speaking of other people, I’m speaking of myself.”
“但我不是在谈论其他人,我是在谈论我自己。

“Kitty,” they heard her mother’s voice, “come here, show papa your necklace.”
“基蒂,他们听到她母亲的声音,”过来,给爸爸看看你的项链。

Kitty, with a haughty air, without making peace with her friend, took the necklace in a little box from the table and went to her mother.
基蒂以一副傲慢的态度,没有与她的朋友和解,从桌子上拿起盒子里的项链,走向她的母亲。

“What’s the matter? Why are you so red?” her mother and father said to her with one voice.
“怎么了?你为什么脸红?”她的父母异口同声地问道。

“Nothing,” she answered. “I’ll be back directly,” and she ran back.
“没事,”她回答。“我马上就回来。”然后她跑回去了。

“She’s still here,” she thought. “What am I to say to her? Oh, dear! —
“她还在这里,”她想。“我该对她说些什么?哎呀!我做了什么,说了什么?我为什么对她这么无礼?我该怎么办? —

what have I done, what have I said? Why was I rude to her? What am I to do? —
“我该对她说些什么呢?”凯蒂想着,她停在门口。 —

What am I to say to her?” thought Kitty, and she stopped in the doorway.
瓦伦卡戴着帽子,手握着阳伞坐在桌边,检查着凯蒂弄坏了的弹簧。

Varenka in her hat and with the parasol in her hands was sitting at the table examining the spring which Kitty had broken. —
她抬起头来。 —

She lifted her head.

“Varenka, forgive me, do forgive me,” whispered Kitty, going up to her. —
“瓦伦卡,原谅我,真的原谅我,” 基蒂低声说道,走向她。 —

“I don’t remember what I said. I…”
“我不记得我说了什么。我…”

“I really didn’t mean to hurt you,” said Varenka, smiling.
“我真的没有想伤害你,” 瓦伦卡微笑着说道。

Peace was made. But with her father’s coming all the world in which she had been living was transformed for Kitty. She did not give up everything she had learned, but she became aware that she had deceived herself in supposing she could be what she wanted to be. —
和解达成了。但随着父亲的到来,基蒂生活的整个世界都发生了变化。她并没有放弃所学到的一切,但她意识到自己在想象中能够成为理想中的自己的时候是自欺欺人的。 —

Her eyes were, it seemed, opened; she felt all the difficulty of maintaining herself without hypocrisy and self-conceit on the pinnacle to which she had wished to mount. —
她似乎看清了真相;她意识到在达到她曾经渴望的高度时,维持自己的虚伪和自负是多么困难。 —

Moreover, she became aware of all the dreariness of the world of sorrow, of sick and dying people, in which she had been living. —
此外,她意识到自己一直生活在一个悲伤、病重和垂死的世界中。 —

The efforts she had made to like it seemed to her intolerable, and she felt a longing to get back quickly into the fresh air, to Russia, to Ergushovo, where, as she knew from letters, her sister Dolly had already gone with her children.
她为了喜欢这一切所付出的努力对她来说是无法忍受的,她渴望快速回到新鲜空气中,回到俄罗斯的厄古舒沃,据信她的妹妹多莉已经带着孩子们去了那里。

But her affection for Varenka did not wane. —
但她对瓦连卡的喜爱并未减少。 —

As she said good-bye, Kitty begged her to come to them in Russia.
离别时,凯蒂恳求瓦连卡去俄罗斯看望他们。

“I’ll come when you get married,” said Varenka.
“我会等你们结婚时再来的”,瓦连卡说道。

“I shall never marry.”
“那我将永远不会结婚。”

“Well, then, I shall never come.”
“嗯,那我就永远不会来。”

“Well, then, I shall be married simply for that. Mind now, remember your promise,” said Kitty.
“那我就为了这个结婚。记住,现在你要遵守你的承诺,”凯蒂说道。

The doctor’s prediction was fulfilled. Kitty returned home to Russia cured. —
医生的预言应验了,凯蒂康复后回到了俄罗斯的家里。 —

She was not so gay and thoughtless as before, but she was serene. —
她不再像以前那么快乐和轻浮,但她很安宁。 —

Her Moscow troubles had become a memory to her.
对于她来说,莫斯科的困扰已经成为了一个记忆。