When the professor had gone, Sergey Ivanovitch turned to his brother.
当教授走后,谢尔盖·伊万诺维奇转向他的哥哥。

“Delighted that you’ve come. For some time, is it? How’s your farming getting on?”
“很高兴你来了。已经有一段时间了吧?你的农场如何了?”

Levin knew that his elder brother took little interest in farming, and only put the question in deference to him, and so he only told him about the sale of his wheat and money matters.
列温知道他的哥哥对农业几乎没有兴趣,只是出于对他的尊重才问这个问题,于是他只告诉他有关小麦销售和金钱问题的情况。

Levin had meant to tell his brother of his determination to get married, and to ask his advice; —
列温本打算告诉他哥哥他打算结婚的决心,并征求他的意见; —

he had indeed firmly resolved to do so. But after seeing his brother, listening to his conversation with the professor, hearing afterwards the unconsciously patronizing tone in which his brother questioned him about agricultural matters (their mother’s property had not been divided, and Levin took charge of both their shares), Levin felt that he could not for some reason begin to talk to him of his intention of marrying. —
他确实已经坚定地决定这样做。但在见到他的兄弟,听他和教授的谈话后,接着还听到他的哥哥在询问农业问题时露出的无意识的居高临下的语气(他们母亲的财产还没有分割,而列温负责管理他们两人的份额),列温感到出于某种原因他无法开始向他谈论他打算结婚的意图。 —

He felt that his brother would not look at it as he would have wished him to.
他觉得他的哥哥对此事的看法与他期望的不同。

“Well, how is your district council doing?” —
“你们的地方委员会做得怎么样了?” —

asked Sergey Ivanovitch, who was greatly interested in these local boards and attached great importance to them.
问谢尔盖·伊万诺维奇,他对这些地方委员会非常感兴趣,并且非常重视它们。

“I really don’t know.”
“我真的不知道。”

“What! Why, surely you’re a member of the board?”
“什么!为什么,你肯定是委员会的成员吧?”

“No, I’m not a member now; I’ve resigned,” answered Levin, “and I no longer attend the meetings.”
“不,我现在不是会员了;我已经辞职了,”列文回答道,“我不再参加会议了。

“What a pity!” commented Sergey Ivanovitch, frowning.
“真可惜!”谢尔盖·伊万诺维奇皱起了眉头。

Levin in self-defense began to describe what took place in the meetings in his district.
列文为了自卫开始描述了在他所在区的会议上发生的情况。

“That’s how it always is!” Sergey Ivanovitch interrupted him. “We Russians are always like that. —
“这总是这样!”谢尔盖·伊万诺维奇打断了他。”我们俄罗斯人就是这样。” —

Perhaps it’s our strong point, really, the faculty of seeing our own shortcomings; —
也许这是我们的优点,真的,看到自己的缺点; —

but we overdo it, we comfort ourselves with irony which we always have on the tip of our tongues. —
但我们过分做了,我们总是用讽刺来安慰自己,这种嘲讽总是随口而出; —

All I say is, give such rights as our local self-government to any other European people–why, the Germans or the English would have worked their way to freedom from them, while we simply turn them into ridicule.”
我只是说,把我们当地的自治权利给任何其他欧洲人民的话,德国人或者英国人会通过努力获得自由,而我们只是把他们变成了笑柄。

“But how can it be helped?” said Levin penitently. “It was my last effort. —
“但是怎么能帮得了呢?”列文忏悔地说。“这是我的最后努力了。 —

And I did try with all my soul. I can’t. —
而且我全力以赴地尝试了。我做不到。 —

I’m no good at it.”
我很不擅长。”

“It’s not that you’re no good at it,” said Sergey Ivanovitch; —
“问题不在于你不擅长,”谢尔盖·伊凡诺维奇说道; —

“it is that you don’t look at it as you should.”
“问题在于你没有以正确的方式看待它。”

“Perhaps not,” Levin answered dejectedly.
“也许是的,”列文沮丧地回答。

“Oh! do you know brother Nikolay’s turned up again?”
哦!你知道吗,尼古拉伯爵又出现了?”

This brother Nikolay was the elder brother of Konstantin Levin, and half-brother of Sergey Ivanovitch; —
这个尼古拉伯爵是康斯坦丁·列文的哥哥,也是谢尔盖·伊凡诺维奇的同父异母兄弟; —

a man utterly ruined, who had dissipated the greater part of his fortune, was living in the strangest and lowest company, and had quarreled with his brothers.
一个完全被毁掉的人,他已经挥霍了大部分财富,生活在最奇怪、最低劣的人群中,并与他的兄弟吵了架。

“What did you say?” Levin cried with horror. “How do you know?”
“你说什么?” 莱文惊恐地喊道, “你怎么知道的?”

“Prokofy saw him in the street.”
“普罗考夫在街上见到他了。”

“Here in Moscow? Where is he? Do you know?” —
“在莫斯科?他在哪?你知道吗?” —

Levin got up from his chair, as though on the point of starting off at once.
莱文站起身,似乎立刻要出发。

“I am sorry I told you,” said Sergey Ivanovitch, shaking his head at his younger brother’s excitement. —
“很抱歉我告诉了你,”谢尔盖·伊凡诺维奇说着,摇头表示对弟弟的激动感到遗憾。 —

“I sent to find out where he is living, and sent him his IOU to Trubin, which I paid. —
“我让人去打听他住在哪里,并把他欠特吕宾的欠条送给他,我也付了款。 —

This is the answer he sent me.”
这是他给我的回复。”

And Sergey Ivanovitch took a note from under a paper-weight and handed it to his brother.
谢尔盖·伊凡诺维奇从一个纸镇下面拿出一张纸条递给了他的兄弟。

Levin read in the queer, familiar handwriting: “I humbly beg you to leave me in peace. —
莱文读着这个奇怪而熟悉的字迹:”我谦卑地请求你让我安宁,这是我亲爱的兄弟们唯一的请求。– 尼古拉·莱文。” —

That’s the only favor I ask of my gracious brothers.–Nikolay Levin.”
莱文看完,不抬头地拿着纸条站在谢尔盖·伊凡诺维奇面前。

Levin read it, and without raising his head stood with the note in his hands opposite Sergey Ivanovitch.
莱文读过这段话后,就把这张纸放在手中,面对着谢尔盖·伊凡诺维奇。

There was a struggle in his heart between the desire to forget his unhappy brother for the time, and the consciousness that it would be base to do so.
在他心中,有一个内心挣扎,一方面他希望暂时忘记他那不幸的兄弟,另一方面他又意识到这样做是卑鄙的。

“He obviously wants to offend me,” pursued Sergey Ivanovitch; —
“他显然想要冒犯我”,谢尔盖·伊凡诺维奇继续说道; —

“but he cannot offend me, and I should have wished with all my heart to assist him, but I know it’s impossible to do that.”
“但是他无法冒犯我,我本想尽我所能帮助他,但我知道那是不可能的。”

“Yes, yes,” repeated Levin. “I understand and appreciate your attitude to him; —
“是的,是的,”列文重复道,“我理解并赞赏你对他的态度; —

but I shall go and see him.”
但我将去见他。”

“If you want to, do; but I shouldn’t advise it,” said Sergey Ivanovitch. —
“如果你想的话,去吧;但我不建议这样做”,谢尔盖·伊凡诺维奇说道。 —

“As regards myself, I have no fear of your doing so; he will not make you quarrel with me; —
“至于我自己,我不担心你这样做会和我吵架; —

but for your own sake, I should say you would do better not to go. —
但基于你自己的利益考虑,我认为你最好不去。 —

You can’t do him any good; still, do as you please.”
你对他无济于事;不过,随你便。”

“Very likely I can’t do any good, but I feel–especially at such a moment–but that’s another thing–I feel I could not be at peace.”
“很可能我无法做出任何改变,但是我感到——特别是在这种时刻——但那是另一回事——我感到我无法心安。”

“Well, that I don’t understand,” said Sergey Ivanovitch. “One thing I do understand,” he added; —
“好吧,这一点我不理解”,谢尔盖·伊凡诺维奇说道,“我只理解一件事”,他接着说; —

“it’s a lesson in humility. I have come to look very differently and more charitably on what is called infamous since brother Nikolay has become what he is. —
“这是一个谦卑的教训。自从尼古拉兄成为他现在的样子,我对所谓的臭名声有了完全不同和更宽容的看法。” —

..you know what he did…”
“…你知道他做了什么…”

“Oh, it’s awful, awful!” repeated Levin.
“噢,太可怕了,太可怕了!”列宾重复道。

After obtaining his brother’s address from Sergey Ivanovitch’s footman, Levin was on the point of setting off at once to see him, but on second thought he decided to put off his visit till the evening. —
在从谢尔盖·伊万诺维奇的仆人那里得到了兄弟的地址之后,列宾本打算马上去见他,但经过再三考虑,他决定推迟拜访直到晚上。 —

The first thing to do to set his heart at rest was to accomplish what he had come to Moscow for. —
让内心得到安宁的第一件事就是完成他来莫斯科的目的。 —

From his brother’s Levin went to Oblonsky’s office, and on getting news of the Shtcherbatskys from him, he drove to the place where he had been told he might find Kitty.
从兄弟那里,列宾前往奥布隆斯基的办公室,并从他那里得到了有关斯切尔巴茨基家的消息后,他就驱车去了据说可以找到基蒂的地方。