It was bright and sunny. A fine rain had been falling all the morning, and now it had not long cleared up. —
天空明朗晴朗。上午细雨绵绵,刚刚停了不久。 —

The iron roofs, the flags of the roads, the flints of the pavements, the wheels and leather, the brass and the tinplate of the carriages–all glistened brightly in the May sunshine. —
五月的阳光照耀下,铁皮屋顶、道路上的旗帜、人行道上的石头、车轮和皮革、黄铜和锡板车厢都闪闪发亮。 —

It was three o’clock, and the very liveliest time in the streets.
此刻是下午三点,街上最热闹的时候。

As she sat in a corner of the comfortable carriage, that hardly swayed on its supple springs, while the grays trotted swiftly, in the midst of the unceasing rattle of wheels and the changing impressions in the pure air, Anna ran over the events of the last days, and she saw her position quite differently from how it had seemed at home. —
安娜坐在舒适的马车一角,车身几乎不摇晃,灰色马匹飞快地奔跑着,车轮的喧嚣声和清新空气中的变幻印象交织在一起。安娜回想起过去几天发生的事情,她对自己的处境有了不同的看法,不同于在家时的感受。 —

Now the thought of death seemed no longer so terrible and so clear to her, and death itself no longer seemed so inevitable. —
现在,死亡的念头似乎不再那么可怕和明确,死亡本身也不再那么不可避免。 —

Now she blamed herself for the humiliation to which she had lowered herself. —
她现在责备自己降低了自己的尊严。 —

“I entreat him to forgive me. I have given in to him. I have owned myself in fault. What for? —
“我恳求他原谅我。我向他屈服了。我承认自己的错误。为了什么? —

Can’t I live without him?” And leaving unanswered the question how she was going to live without him, she fell to reading the signs on the shops. —
没有他我不能活吗?” 在没有回答她如何在没有他的情况下生活的问题之前,她开始阅读商店的标志。 —

“Office and warehouse. Dental surgeon. Yes, I’ll tell Dolly all about it. She doesn’t like Vronsky. —
“办公室和仓库。牙科医生。是的,我会告诉多莉所有这些。她不喜欢弗朗斯基。 —

I shall be sick and ashamed, but I’ll tell her. She loves me, and I’ll follow her advice. —
我会生病并感到羞愧,但我会告诉她。她爱我,我会听她的建议。 —

I won’t give in to him; I won’t let him train me as he pleases. Filippov, bun shop. —
我不会向他屈服;我不会让他按他的心意训练我。菲利波夫,面包店。 —

They say they send their dough to Petersburg. —
他们说他们把面粉送到圣彼得堡。 —

The Moscow water is so good for it. Ah, the springs at Mitishtchen, and the pancakes!”
莫斯科的水对它很好。啊,米蒂斯恩的泉水,还有薄烤饼!

And she remembered how, long, long ago, when she was a girl of seventeen, she had gone with her aunt to Troitsa. —
她记得很久很久以前,她还是一个17岁的女孩时,她跟她姑姑一起去了特罗伊察。 —

“Riding, too. Was that really me, with red hands? —
“还骑着马。那真的是我吗,红红的手? —

How much that seemed to me then splendid and out of reach has become worthless, while what I had then has gone out of my reach forever! —
那时对我来说似乎很辉煌而遥不可及的东西现在都变得一文不值,而当时我拥有的已经永远失去了!” —

Could I ever have believed then that I could come to such humiliation? —
那时候我能相信我会经历这样的羞辱吗? —

How conceited and self-satisfied he will be when he gets my note! But I will show him. —
他收到我的便条后会是多么自满和自鸣得意啊!但我会向他展示。 —

… How horrid that paint smells! Why is it they’re always painting and building? —
…那油漆味儿真令人讨厌!他们为什么总是在刷油漆和建造? —

Modes et robes,” she read. A man bowed to her. It was Annushka’s husband. “Our parasites”; —
“时尚和服装”,她读到。一个男人向她鞠了一躬。那是安娜什卡的丈夫。”我们这些寄生虫”。 —

she remembered how Vronsky had said that. “Our? Why our? —
她想起了弗朗斯基曾经说过那句话。”我们?为什么是我们?” —

What’s so awful is that one can’t tear up the past by its roots. —
最可怕的是,人无法把过去彻底抽离。 —

One can’t tear it out, but one can hide one’s memory of it. And I’ll hide it.” —
它无法被完全消除,但是可以隐藏记忆。我会将它隐藏起来。 —

And then she thought of her past with Alexey Alexandrovitch, of how she had blotted the memory of it out of her life. —
然后她想起了与亚历克谢·亚历山德罗维奇过去的时光,她是如何把那段记忆从生活中抹去的。 —

“Dolly will think I’m leaving my second husband, and so I certainly must be in the wrong. —
“多莉会认为我离开了我的第二任丈夫,所以我肯定是错的。 —

As if I cared to be right! I can’t help it!” she said, and she wanted to cry. —
就算我想要正确,也无能为力!”她说着,想要哭出声来。 —

But at once she fell to wondering what those two girls could be smiling about. “Love, most likely. —
但她立即开始想那两个女孩笑的事情。”可能是因为爱情吧。 —

They don’t know how dreary it is, how low…. The boulevard and the children. —
他们不知道有多么凄凉,多么低落……林荫大道和孩子们。 —

Three boys running, playing at horses. Seryozha! —
三个男孩在奔跑,假装是马。谢洛佳! —

And I’m losing everything and not getting him back. —
我失去一切,却没有把他找回来。 —

Yes, I’m losing everything, if he doesn’t return. —
是的,如果他不回来,我将失去一切。 —

Perhaps he was late for the train and has come back by now. Longing for humiliation again!” —
或许他误了火车,现在已经回来了。再次渴望屈辱! —

she said to herself. “No, I’ll go to Dolly, and say straight out to her, I’m unhappy, I deserve this, I’m to blame, but still I’m unhappy, help me. —
她对自己说。不,我要去找朵丽,直截了当地告诉她,我不幸福,我应该受罚,我是有错的,但我还是不幸福,帮帮我吧。 —

These horses, this carriage–how loathsome I am to myself in this carriage–all his; —
这些马,这辆马车,我坐在这辆马车里真是可恶……都是他的; —

but I won’t see them again.”
但我再也不会见到他们了。

Thinking over the words in which she would tell Dolly, and mentally working her heart up to great bitterness, Anna went upstairs.
安娜一边思考着要对朵丽说些什么话,一边心里暗自积累起了极大的怨恨,便走上了楼。

“Is there anyone with her?” she asked in the hall.
“她那边有人吗?”她在大厅问道。

“Katerina Alexandrovna Levin,” answered the footman.
“卡捷琳娜·亚历山德罗夫娜·列文。”仆人回答道。

“Kitty! Kitty, whom Vronsky was in love with!” thought Anna, “the girl he thinks of with love. —
“吉蒂!吉蒂,弗朗斯基爱的那个女孩!”安娜想道,“他心中充满了爱意的女孩。” —

He’s sorry he didn’t marry her. But me he thinks of with hatred, and is sorry he had anything to do with me.”
他为没有娶她而感到抱歉。但是对我,他充满着仇恨,后悔与我有任何牵连。

The sisters were having a consultation about nursing when Anna called. —
姐妹们正在讨论护理问题,这时安娜打来了电话。 —

Dolly went down alone to see the visitor who had interrupted their conversation.
唐丽独自下去见到了中断了她们谈话的访客。

“Well, so you’ve not gone away yet? I meant to have come to you,” she said; —
“你还没有走啊?我本来打算去找你的,”她说道。 —

“I had a letter from Stiva today.”
“我今天收到了斯蒂瓦的信。”

“We had a telegram too,” answered Anna, looking round for Kitty.
“我们也收到了一封电报,”安娜回答着,四处找着基蒂的身影。

“He writes that he can’t make out quite what Alexey Alexandrovitch wants, but he won’t go away without a decisive answer.”
“他写道他无法完全明白阿列克谢·阿列克谢耶维奇想要什么,但他不会走开而不得出一个决定性的答案。”

“I thought you had someone with you. Can I see the letter?”
“我以为你有人陪着呢。我可以看看信吗?”

“Yes; Kitty,” said Dolly, embarrassed. “She stayed in the nursery. She has been very ill.”
“可以,基蒂,”唐丽尴尬地说道,“她待在了儿童房。她病得很重。”

“So I heard. May I see the letter?”
“我听说了。我可以看看信吗?”

“I’ll get it directly. But he doesn’t refuse; —
“我会马上拿来。但是他并没有拒绝; —

on the contrary, Stiva has hopes,” said Dolly, stopping in the doorway.
相反地,斯蒂瓦有希望,”唐丽说着,停在门口。

“I haven’t, and indeed I don’t wish it,” said Anna.
“我没有,实际上我也不希望。”安娜说道。

“What’s this? Does Kitty consider it degrading to meet me?” thought Anna when she was alone. —
当她独自一人时,安娜心想:”这是什么?Kitty是否认为见我是一种侮辱?” —

“Perhaps she’s right, too. But it’s not for her, the girl who was in love with Vronsky, it’s not for her to show me that, even if it is true. —
也许她是对的。但对于一位爱过弗朗斯基的女孩来说,她没有资格向我展示这一点,即使这是真的。 —

I know that in my position I can’t be received by any decent woman. —
我知道在我的位置上,任何正派女人都不会接待我。 —

I knew that from the first moment I sacrificed everything to him. And this is my reward! —
我从一开始就知道,我为了他牺牲了一切。这就是我的回报! —

Oh, how I hate him! And what did I come here for? I’m worse here, more miserable.” —
哦,我多么恨他!我来这里是为了什么?我在这里更加糟糕,更加悲惨。 —

She heard from the next room the sisters’ voices in consultation. —
她听到隔壁房间里姐妹们在商量。 —

“And what am I going to say to Dolly now? —
“现在我应该对Dolly说什么呢?” —

Amuse Kitty by the sight of my wretchedness, submit to her patronizing? No; —
通过我痛苦的样子来取悦Kitty,屈服于她的宠幸?不, —

and besides, Dolly wouldn’t understand. And it would be no good my telling her. —
而且,Dolly也不会理解。告诉她也没有用。 —

It would only be interesting to see Kitty, to show her how I despise everyone and everything, how nothing matters to me now.”
只是看到Kitty会很有趣,向她展示我是如何鄙视每个人和每件事的,现在什么都不重要了。

Dolly came in with the letter. Anna read it and handed it back in silence.
Dolly拿着信进来。安娜读了信后默默地递还给她。

“I knew all that,” she said, “and it doesn’t interest me in the least.”
“我全都知道,”她说,“但对我一点兴趣都没有。”

“Oh, why so? On the contrary, I have hopes,” said Dolly, looking inquisitively at Anna. She had never seen her in such a strangely irritable condition. —
“哦,为什么呢?相反,我还有希望,”多莉好奇地看着安娜。她从来没有见过她处于如此奇怪的恼怒状态。 —

“When are you going away?” she asked.
“你什么时候走?”她问道。

Anna, half-closing her eyes, looked straight before her and did not answer.
安娜半闭着眼睛,直视前方,没有回答。

“Why does Kitty shrink from me?” she said, looking at the door and flushing red.
“为什么基蒂躲避我?”她看着门,脸红了。

“Oh, what nonsense! She’s nursing, and things aren’t going right with her, and I’ve been advising her. —
“哦,胡说!她在哺乳,事情进展不顺利,我一直在给她建议。” —

… She’s delighted. She’ll be here in a minute,” said Dolly awkwardly, not clever at lying. —
……她很高兴。她马上就会到这里来,”多莉尴尬地说,不擅长撒谎。 —

“Yes, here she is.”
“是的,她来了。”

Hearing that Anna had called, Kitty had wanted not to appear, but Dolly persuaded her. —
听说安娜打电话来了,基蒂本想不露面,但多莉劝说她。 —

Rallying her forces, Kitty went in, walked up to her, blushing, and shook hands.
基蒂鼓起勇气,走了进去,脸红着和她握手。

“I am so glad to see you,” she said with a trembling voice.
“我很高兴见到你,”她颤抖着声音说道。

Kitty had been thrown into confusion by the inward conflict between her antagonism to this bad woman and her desire to be nice to her. —
凯蒂内心对这个坏女人的敌意和善意并存的冲突让她感到困惑。 —

But as soon as she saw Anna’s lovely and attractive face, all feeling of antagonism disappeared.
但是一看到安娜那美丽迷人的脸,所有对立情感都消失了。

“I should not have been surprised if you had not cared to meet me. —
如果你不愿意见我,我也不会感到惊讶。 —

I’m used to everything. You have been ill? —
我已经习惯了一切。你生病了吗? —

Yes, you are changed,” said Anna.
是的,你变了,”安娜说。

Kitty felt that Anna was looking at her with hostile eyes. —
凯蒂感觉安娜用敌意的眼光看着她。 —

She ascribed this hostility to the awkward position in which Anna, who had once patronized her, must feel with her now, and she felt sorry for her.
她把这种敌意归咎于安娜曾经以高人一等的姿态对待她,现在却感到尴尬,她对安娜感到难过。

They talked of Kitty’s illness, of the baby, of Stiva, but it was obvious that nothing interested Anna.
她们谈论了凯蒂的病情、孩子、斯蒂瓦,但显然安娜对这些都不感兴趣。

“I came to say good-bye to you,” she said, getting up.
“我来向你告别,”她起身说道。

“Oh, when are you going?”
“哦,你什么时候走?”

But again not answering, Anna turned to Kitty.
但是安娜再次不回答,转向凯蒂。

“Yes, I am very glad to have seen you,” she said with a smile. —
“是的,我很高兴见到你,”她微笑着说。 —

“I have heard so much of you from everyone, even from your husband. —
“我从每个人那里都听说过你,甚至从你丈夫那里听说过。 —

He came to see me, and I liked him exceedingly,” she said, unmistakably with malicious intent. “Where is he?”
“他来看我了,我对他非常喜欢。”她带着明显的恶意说道,“他在哪儿?”

“He has gone back to the country,” said Kitty, blushing.
“他已经回乡了。”凯蒂脸红着回答。

“Remember me to him, be sure you do.”
“替我向他问好,一定要记住。”

“I’ll be sure to!” Kitty said naively, looking compassionately into her eyes.
“当然会!”凯蒂天真地说着,同情地看着她的眼睛。

“So good-bye, Dolly.” And kissing Dolly and shaking hands with Kitty, Anna went out hurriedly.
“再见,多莉。”安娜亲吻了多莉,与凯蒂握了握手,匆匆离开了。

“She’s just the same and just as charming! She’s very lovely!” —
“她一点都没变,还是一样迷人!她真的很可爱!” —

said Kitty, when she was alone with her sister. —
凯蒂独自一人时说道。 —

“But there’s something piteous about her. Awfully piteous!”
“但她有些可怜的地方,非常可怜!”

“Yes, there’s something unusual about her today,” said Dolly. “When I went with her into the hall, I fancied she was almost crying.”
“是的,她今天有些不同。”多莉说,“当我和她一起走进大厅时,我觉得她几乎要哭了。”