“Now there is something I want to talk about, and you know what it is. —
“现在有件事我想要谈谈,你知道是什么。” —

About Anna,” Stepan Arkadyevitch said, pausing for a brief space, and shaking off the unpleasant impression.
谈到安娜时,斯捷潘·阿尔卡季耶维奇停了一会儿,摆脱不愉快的印象。

As soon as Oblonsky uttered Anna’s name, the face of Alexey Alexandrovitch was completely transformed; —
奥布洛夫斯基一提到安娜的名字时,阿列克谢·阿列克桑德罗维奇的脸完全变了样; —

all the life was gone out of it, and it looked weary and dead.
所有的生机都消失了,看上去疲惫而漠然。

“What is it exactly that you want from me?” he said, moving in his chair and snapping his pince-nez.
“你到底想从我这里得到什么?”他挪动了一下椅子,戴上了他的鼻夹眼镜。

“A definite settlement, Alexey Alexandrovitch, some settlement of the position. —
“一个明确的解决方案,阿列克谢·阿列克桑德罗维奇,解决这个局面的方法。 —

I’m appealing to you” (“not as an injured husband,” Stepan Arkadyevitch was going to say, but afraid of wrecking his negotiation by this, he changed the words) “not as a statesman” (which did not sound a propos), “but simply as a man, and a good-hearted man and a Christian. —
我向你求助”(”不是作为一个受伤的丈夫”,斯捷潘·阿尔卡季耶维奇本打算说,但担心这样会破坏他的谈判,于是改变了措辞)”不是作为一个政治家”(这听起来不合适)”而是作为一个人, 一个善良的人和一个基督徒。 —

You must have pity on her,” he said.
你必须怜悯她,”他说。

“That is, in what way precisely?” Karenin said softly.
“具体来说是怎样的方式?”卡列宁轻声问道。

“Yes, pity on her. If you had seen her as I have! —
“是的,怜悯她。如果你像我一样看到她就知道了! —

–I have been spending all the winter with her–you would have pity on her. —
我已经与她度过了整个冬天- 你会对她心生怜悯。 —

Her position is awful, simply awful!”
她的处境太可怕了,实在太可怕了!

“I had imagined,” answered Alexey Alexandrovitch in a higher, almost shrill voice, “that Anna Arkadyevna had everything she had desired for herself.”
“我原以为,”亚历克谢·亚历山德罗维奇用比较高亢的声音回答,“安娜·阿尔卡季耶芙娜已经得到她一直渴望的一切。”

“Oh, Alexey Alexandrovitch, for heaven’s sake, don’t let us indulge in recriminations! —
“哦,亚历克谢·亚历山德罗维奇,求求你,别让我们互相责备了! —

What is past is past, and you know what she wants and is waiting for–divorce.”
过去的事情已经过去了,你知道她想要什么,也在等着……离婚。

“But I believe Anna Arkadyevna refuses a divorce, if I make it a condition to leave me my son. —
但是我相信安娜·阿尔卡季耶芙娜拒绝离婚,如果我答应条件让我能保住我儿子。 —

I replied in that sense, and supposed that the matter was ended. —
我是这样回答的,并认为问题已经解决了。 —

I consider it at an end,” shrieked Alexey Alexandrovitch.
我认为问题已经解决了!亚历克谢·亚历山德罗维奇尖叫道。

“But, for heaven’s sake, don’t get hot!” said Stepan Arkadyevitch, touching his brother-in-law’s knee. —
求求你,别生气!斯捷潘·阿尔卡季耶维奇碰了碰他姐夫的膝盖说。 —

“The matter is not ended. If you will allow me to recapitulate, it was like this: —
问题还没有解决。如果你允许我回顾一下,情况是这样的: —

when you parted, you were as magnanimous as could possibly be; —
当你们分开的时候,你非常宽宏大量。 —

you were ready to give her everything–freedom, divorce even. She appreciated that. —
你已经准备好为她付出一切-包括自由和离婚。她对此表示感激。 —

No, don’t think that. She did appreciate it–to such a degree that at the first moment, feeling how she had wronged you, she did not consider and could not consider everything. —
不,别这么想。她确实感激–到了后来,意识到自己对你的伤害,她没有考虑到也不能考虑到一切。 —

She gave up everything. But experience, time, have shown that her position is unbearable, impossible.”
她舍弃了一切。但是经历和时间表明,她的处境是难以忍受和不可能的。

“The life of Anna Arkadyevna can have no interest for me,” Alexey Alexandrovitch put in, lifting his eyebrows.
阿列克谢·亚历山德罗维奇抬起眉毛加入说:“安娜·阿尔卡季耶芙娜的生活对我没有兴趣。”

“Allow me to disbelieve that,” Stepan Arkadyevitch replied gently. —
斯捷潘·阿尔卡季耶维奇温和地回答:“请允许我对此表示怀疑。” —

“Her position is intolerable for her, and of no benefit to anyone whatever. —
她的处境对她来说是无法忍受的,对任何人都没有好处。 —

She has deserved it, you will say. She knows that and asks you for nothing; —
她应该得到这样的报应,你会说。她知道这一点,并不向你求取任何东西; —

she says plainly that she dare not ask you. —
她明确表示她不敢向你要求。 —

But I, all of us, her relatives, all who love her, beg you, entreat you. —
但是,我,我们所有爱她的亲人,所有关心她的人,请你,请求你。 —

Why should she suffer? Who is any the better for it?”
她为什么要受苦?这对任何人有什么好处吗?

“Excuse me, you seem to put me in the position of the guilty party,” observed Alexey Alexandrovitch.
“对不起,你似乎把我当作了有罪的一方,”亚历克谢·亚历山德罗维奇观察到。

“Oh, no, oh, no, not at all! please understand me,” said Stepan Arkadyevitch, touching his hand again, as though feeling sure this physical contact would soften his brother-in-law. —
“哦,不,不,完全不是这样!请你理解我。”斯捷潘·阿尔卡季耶维奇再次触摸了他的手,仿佛相信这种身体接触会软化他的姐夫。 —

“All I say is this: her position is intolerable, and it might be alleviated by you, and you will lose nothing by it. —
“我只是想说:她的处境是不可忍受的,而你可以缓解她的痛苦,而你不会因此失去任何东西。 —

I will arrange it all for you, so that you’ll not notice it. —
我会为你安排一切,让你一点都不会察觉到。 —

You did promise it, you know.”
你答应过的,你知道。”

“The promise was given before. And I had supposed that the question of my son had settled the matter. Besides, I had hoped that Anna Arkadyevna had enough generosity. —
“诺言是以前给出的。而且我原以为我儿子的问题已经解决了这个问题。此外,我本来希望安娜·阿尔卡季耶芙娜有足够的慷慨。 —

..” Alexey Alexandrovitch articulated with difficulty, his lips twitching and his face white.
“。。”亚历克谢·亚历山德罗维奇语塞地说着,嘴唇抽动,脸色变白。

“She leaves it all to your generosity. She begs, she implores one thing of you–to extricate her from the impossible position in which she is placed. —
“她完全依赖于你的慷慨。她恳求你,乞求你救她脱离无法摆脱的困境。 —

She does not ask for her son now. Alexey Alexandrovitch, you are a good man. —
她现在并不要求见她的儿子。亚历克谢·亚历山德罗维奇,你是个好人。 —

Put yourself in her position for a minute. —
试着设身处地地为她考虑一分钟。” —

The question of divorce for her in her position is a question of life and death. —
对于她来说,离婚的问题是生死攸关的。 —

If you had not promised it once, she would have reconciled herself to her position, she would have gone on living in the country. —
如果你当初没有答应过,她会安于现状,在乡下继续生活。 —

But you promised it, and she wrote to you, and moved to Moscow. —
但是你答应了她,她给你写信,搬到了莫斯科。 —

And here she’s been for six months in Moscow, where every chance meeting cuts her to the heart, every day expecting an answer. —
现在她已经在莫斯科待了六个月了,在那里每一次偶然的相遇都让她心痛,每天都在期待一个答复。 —

Why, it’s like keeping a condemned criminal for six months with the rope round his neck, promising him perhaps death, perhaps mercy. —
哎呀,这就像是把一个被判死刑的罪犯绑上绳子,然后许诺了他也许会被处决,也许会被赦免。 —

Have pity on her, and I will undertake to arrange everything. Vos scrupules…”
对她怜悯一下,我将承担安排一切的责任。你所担心的…

“I am not talking about that, about that. —
“我不是在谈论那个,那个。 —

..” Alexey Alexandrovitch interrupted with disgust. —
“亚历克谢·亚历山德罗维奇厌恶地打断道。 —

“But, perhaps, I promised what I had no right to promise.”
“但是,也许,我答应了自己没有权力答应的事情。

“So you go back from your promise?”
“所以你要反悔了吗?

“I have never refused to do all that is possible, but I want time to consider how much of what I promised is possible.”
“我从未拒绝做所有可能的事情,但我需要时间考虑我所答应的多少是可能的。

“No, Alexey Alexandrovitch!” cried Oblonsky, jumping up, “I won’t believe that! —
“不,阿列克谢·亚历山德罗维奇!” 奥布洛夫斯基大声喊道,跳了起来,”我不会相信那样的事情! —

She’s unhappy as only an unhappy woman can be, and you cannot refuse in such…”
她像只不开心的女人那样痛苦,你不能拒绝她…”

“As much of what I promised as is possible. Vous professez d’etre libre penseur. —
“尽我所能实现我所答应的。你自称是自由思想者。 —

But I as a believer cannot, in a matter of such gravity, act in opposition to the Christian law.”
但我作为一个信徒,在如此重大的问题上,不能违背基督教的法律行事。”

“But in Christian societies and among us, as far as I’m aware, divorce is allowed,” said Stepan Arkadyevitch. —
“但据我所知,离婚在基督教社会和我们中是被允许的,” 斯捷潘·阿尔卡捷耶维奇说道。 —

“Divorce is sanctioned even by our church. And we see…”
“离婚甚至被我们的教会认可。我们可以看到…”

“It is allowed, but not in the sense…”
“是被允许的,但不是以那种意义…”

“Alexey Alexandrovitch, you are not like yourself,” said Oblonsky, after a brief pause. —
“阿列克谢·亚历山德罗维奇,你现在不像你自己了,” 奥布洛夫斯基在短暂的停顿后说道。 —

“Wasn’t it you (and didn’t we all appreciate it in you? —
“难道不是你吗(我们大家都感激你),宽恕了一切,单纯出于基督教的感情,愿意做出任何牺牲吗? —

) who forgave everything, and moved simply by Christian feeling was ready to make any sacrifice? —
你曾经说过:如果有人拿走你的外衣,把连衣裙也给他,可现在…” —

You said yourself: if a man take thy coat, give him thy cloak also, and now…”

“I beg,” said Alexey Alexandrovitch shrilly, getting suddenly onto his feet, his face white and his jaws twitching, “I beg you to drop this. —
“我求你,”亚历克谢·亚历山德罗维奇尖声说道,突然站了起来,脸色苍白,下颌抽搐,“我求求你放弃这个。 —

..to drop…this subject!”
“放弃…这个话题!”

“Oh, no! Oh, forgive me, forgive me if I have wounded you,” said Stepan Arkadyevitch, holding out his hand with a smile of embarrassment; —
“哦,不!哦,原谅我,如果我伤害了你,”斯捷潘·阿尔卡季耶维奇尴尬地笑着伸出手来; —

“but like a messenger I have simply performed the commission given me.”
“但我只是像一个使者一样,简单地履行了我给予的任务。”

Alexey Alexandrovitch gave him his hand, pondered a little, and said:
亚历克谢·亚历山德罗维奇伸出手,沉思了一会,然后说:

“I must think it over and seek for guidance. —
“我必须考虑一下并寻求指引。 —

The day after tomorrow I will give you a final answer,” he said, after considering a moment.
后天我会给你最后的答复,”他考虑了一会儿后说道。