PRINCESS MARYA, sitting in the drawing-room, and hearing the old men’s talk and criticisms, did not understand a word of what she was hearing. —
玛丽亚公主坐在客厅里听着老人们的谈话和批评,一句话也听不懂。 —

She thought of nothing but whether all their guests were noticing her father’s hostile attitude to her. —
她只想着他们的所有客人是否注意到她父亲对她的敌意态度。 —

She did not even notice the marked attention and amiability shown her during the whole of dinner by Drubetskoy, who was that day paying them his third visit.
她甚至没有注意到杜布斯科伊在整个晚餐期间对她所表现出的特别关注和友好态度,当天是他第三次拜访他们。

Princess Marya turned with an absent-minded, questioning glance to Pierre, who, with a smile on his face, came up to her, hat in hand, the last of the guests, after the prince had gone out, and they were left alone together in the drawing-room.
玛丽亚公主心不在焉地转过头来,带着询问的目光看着皮埃尔,皮埃尔面带微笑,戴着帽子走向她,他是最后一个客人,在王子离开后,他们两人独自留在客厅里。

“Can I stay a little longer?” he said, dropping his bulky person into a low chair beside Princess Marya.
“我可以再多待一会儿吗?”他说着,把庞大的身躯坐到了玛丽亚公主旁边的一个低矮椅子上。

“Oh, yes,” she said. “You noticed nothing?” her eyes asked.
“哦,可以的,”她说。“你什么都没注意到?”她的眼神询问着。

Pierre was in an agreeable, after-dinner mood. —
皮埃尔的心情非常愉快,晚餐后的心情。 —

He looked straight before him and smiled softly. —
他直视前方,脸上带着柔和的微笑。 —

“Have you known that young man long, princess?” he said.
“公主,你认识那个年轻人很久了吗?”他说道。

“Which one?”
“哪一个?”

“Drubetskoy.”
“德鲁别茨科伊。”

“No, not long.…”
“不,不是长了……”

“Well, do you like him?”
“那么,你喜欢他吗?”

“Yes; he’s a very agreeable young man. Why do you ask me? —
“是的,他是个很讨人喜欢的年轻人。你为什么问我呢? —

” said Princess Marya, still thinking of her conversation in the morning with her father.
”玛丽亚公主说道,仍然在思考早上与父亲的谈话。

“Because I have observed, that when a young man comes from Petersburg to Moscow on leave, it is invariably with the object of marrying an heiress.”
“因为我观察到,当一个年轻人从圣彼得堡来莫斯科休假,无一例外都是为了娶个有钱的继承人。”

“Have you observed that?” said Princess Marya.
“你真的观察到了?”玛丽亚公主说。

“Yes,” Pierre went on with a smile, “and that young man now manages matters so that wherever there are wealthy heiresses—there he is to be found. —
“是的,”皮埃尔微笑着说,“而且这个年轻人现在管理得很好,无论哪里有富有的继承人,他都会出现在那里。 —

I can read him like a book. He is hesitating now which to attack, you or Mademoiselle Julie Karagin. —
我能看透他。他现在正在犹豫要追求谁,是你还是朱莉·卡拉金小姐。 —

He is very attentive to her.”
他对她非常关注。”

“Does he visit them?”
“他常去看他们吗?”

“Yes, very often. And do you know the new-fashioned method of courting? —
“是的,经常去。你知道他的新式求爱方法吗? —

” said Pierre, smiling good-humouredly, and obviously feeling in that light-hearted mood of good-natured irony, for which he had so often reproached himself in his diary.
“好吧,”皮埃尔笑着说道,显然他正处于那种心情轻松、充满友善讽刺的愉快气氛中,这正是他在日记中常常责备自己的心情。

“No,” said Princess Marya.
“不,”玛丽亚公主说道。

“To please the Moscow girls nowadays one has to be melancholy. —
“如今要讨好莫斯科的姑娘们,就得忧郁起来。 —

He is very melancholy with Mademoiselle Karagin,” said Pierre.
他对卡拉金小姐非常忧郁,”皮埃尔说。

“Really!” said Princess Marya, looking at the kindly face of Pierre, and thinking all the time of her own trouble. —
“真的吗!” 玛丽亚公主看着皮埃尔亲切的脸庞,心中却一直在想着自己的烦恼。 —

“It would ease my heart,” she was thinking, “if I could make up my mind to confide all I am feeling to some one. —
“如果我能下定决心,将我所感受的一切都坦诚告诉某个人,那将使我的心情舒畅。 —

And it is just Pierre I should like to tell it all to. —
而且我正想告诉的人就是皮埃尔。 —

He is so kind and generous. It would ease my heart. —
他是如此友善和慷慨。这将使我的心情舒畅。 —

He would give me advice.”
他会给我建议。”

“Would you marry him?” asked Pierre.
“你愿意嫁给他吗?”皮埃尔问道。

“O my God, count! there are moments when I would marry any one”—to her own surprise Princess Marya said, with tears in her voice. —
“哦,我的天哪,伯爵!有时候我愿意嫁给任何人。”玛丽亚公主出乎意料地带着泪声说道。 —

“Ah! how bitter it is to love some one near to one and to feel,” she went on in a shaking voice, “that you can do nothing for him, but cause him sorrow, and when you know you cannot alter it. —
“啊!爱一个离自己那么近的人,并且感觉到,”她颤抖着声音继续说道,“自己对他无能为力,只能给他带来悲伤,而且明知道自己无法改变这个事实。 —

There’s only one thing—to go away, and where am I to go?”
只有一件事可以做——离开,但是我去哪儿呢?

“What is wrong? what is the matter with you, princess?”
“出了什么问题?你怎么了,公主?”

But Princess Marya, without explaining further, burst into tears.
但是玛丽亚公主没有进一步解释,只是哭了起来。

“I don’t know what is the matter with me to-day. —
“我不知道今天怎么了。 —

Don’t take any notice of me, forget what I said to you.”
不要理我,忘记我对你说的话。”

All Pierre’s gaiety had vanished. He questioned the princess anxiously, begged her to speak out, to confide her trouble to him. —
皮埃尔所有的愉快都消失了。他焦虑地询问公主,请求她倾诉她的烦恼。 —

But she would only repeat that she begged him to forget what she had said, that she did not remember what she had said, and that she had no trouble except the one he knew—her anxiety lest Prince Andrey’s marriage should cause a breach between him and his father.
但是她只是再三重复她要求他忘记她说的话,她不记得自己说了什么,她的唯一的烦恼就是他知道的那个——担心安德烈王子的婚姻会导致他和父亲之间的分裂。

“Have you heard anything of the Rostovs?” she asked to change the subject. —
“你听说过罗斯托夫家的消息吗?”她问道,想改变话题。 —

“I was told they would soon be here. I expect Andrey, too, every day. —
“我被告知他们很快就会来。我每天都期待着安德烈的到来。” —

I should have liked them to see each other here.”
“我应该喜欢他们在这里见面。”

“And how does he look at the matter now? —
“他现在对这件事怎么想?”皮埃尔说,他指的是老王子。 —

” said Pierre, meaning by he the old prince. —
玛丽亚公主摇了摇头。 —

Princess Marya shook her head.
“但这没办法。现在一年就只剩下几个月了。”

“But it can’t be helped. There are only a few months left now before the year is over. —
“这样下去不行。我只是希望能给我哥哥省下这几分钟。” —

And it can’t go on like this. I should only have liked to spare my brother the first minutes. —
“但这没办法。现在一年就只剩下几个月了。” —

I could have wished they were coming sooner. I hope to get to know her well. —
我本希望他们能早点来。我希望能够更好地了解她。 —

…You have known them a long while,” said Princess Marya. “Tell me the whole truth, speaking quite seriously. —
“你认识他们已经很久了,”玛丽亚公主说道。”告诉我全部真相,严肃地说。 —

What sort of a girl is she, and how do you like her? —
她是什么样的女孩,你觉得她怎么样? —

But the whole truth, because, you see, Andrey is risking so much in doing this against our father’s will, that I should like to know …”
但要全部真相,因为,你知道的,安德烈违抗我们父亲的意愿做这件事冒了很大的风险,我想知道…

A vague instinct told Pierre that these pleas and repeated requests to him to tell her the whole truth betrayed Princess Marya’s ill-will towards her future sister-in-law, that she wanted Pierre not to approve of Prince Andrey’s choice; —
一种模糊的直觉告诉皮埃尔,玛丽亚公主这些请求他告诉她全部真相的恳求显示出她对未来的嫂嫂有意见,她希望皮埃尔不要同意安德烈王子的选择; —

but Pierre said what he felt rather than what he thought. —
但皮埃尔说出的是他感受到的,而不是他所想的。 —

“I don’t know how to answer your question,” said he, blushing though he could not have said why himself. —
“我不知道如何回答你的问题,”他说道,尽管他自己也说不清楚为什么会脸红起来。 —

“I really don’t know what kind of girl she is. I can’t analyse her. She’s fascinating; —
“我真的不知道她是什么样的女孩。我无法分析她。她很迷人; —

and why she is, I don’t know; that’s all that one can say about her.”
为什么她迷人,我不知道;这就是关于她的全部可以说的。”

Princess Marya sighed, and her face expressed: “Yes; that’s what I expected and feared.”
公主玛丽娅叹了口气,她的脸上表现出:“是的,这正是我预料到的,也是我害怕的。”

“Is she clever?” asked Princess Marya. Pierre thought a moment.
公主玛丽娅问道:“她聪明吗?”皮埃尔沉思片刻。

“I suppose not,” he said. “Yes, though. —
他说:“我想不是,不过是的。” —

She does not think it worth while to be clever.…Yes, no; —
她不认为聪明有什么值得的。是的,不是的; —

she is fascinating, and nothing more.”
她很迷人,仅此而已。”

Princess Marya again shook her head disapprovingly.
公主玛丽娅再次不满地摇摇头。

“Ah, I do so want to like her! You tell her so if you see her before I do.”
“啊,我真想喜欢她!如果你在我之前见到她,你告诉她。”

“I have heard that they will be here in a few days,” said Pierre.
皮埃尔说:“我听说他们再过几天就会来这里。”

Princess Marya told Pierre her plan of getting to know her future sister-in-law as soon as the Rostovs arrived, and trying to get the old prince accustomed to her.
公主玛丽娅告诉皮埃尔她计划一到罗斯托夫一家到达就尽快认识她的未来嫂嫂,并试图使老王子习惯她的存在。