ON RETURNING LATE in the evening, Sonya went into Natasha’s room, and to her surprise found her not undressed asleep on the sofa. —
在晚上很晚回来后,索尼娅走进娜塔莎的房间,令她惊讶的是发现她没有脱衣服睡在沙发上。 —

On the table near her Anatole’s letter lay open. —
在离她不远的桌子上,阿纳托利的信展开着。 —

Sonya picked up the letter and began to read it.
索尼娅拿起信开始阅读。

She read it, and looked at Natasha asleep, seeking in her face some explanation of what she had read and not finding it. —
她阅读了信,看着熟睡的娜塔莎,希望能从她的脸上找到一些对她所读内容的解释,但没有找到。 —

Her face was quiet, gentle, and happy. Clutching at her own chest to keep herself from choking, Sonya, pale and shaking with horror and emotion, sat down in a low chair and burst into tears.
她的脸庞安静、温柔而幸福。索尼娅掐住自己的胸口,以免窒息,脸色苍白,情绪激动地坐在一把低矮的椅子上,放声大哭。

“How was it I saw nothing? How can it have gone so far? Can she have ceased loving Prince Andrey? —
“我为什么一无所觉?事情怎么会发展到这种地步?她会不会停止爱安德烈王子了? —

And how could she have let this Kuragin go as far as this? —
她怎么会让库拉金的事发展到这种地步? —

He’s a deceiver and a villain, that’s clear. —
他是个骗子和恶棍,这是显而易见的。 —

What will Nikolenka—dear, noble Nikolenka—do when he hears of it? —
当尼科连卡知道这件事时,亲爱的、高尚的尼科连卡会怎么做呢? —

So that was the meaning of her excited, determined, unnatural face the day before yesterday, and yesterday and to-day,” thought Sonya. “But it’s impossible that she can care for him! —
“那就是她前天、昨天和今天兴奋、坚定、不自然表情的含义了,”索尼娅心想。“但是她不可能对他有感情!” —

Most likely she opened the letter not knowing from whom it was. —
“很可能她打开信不知道是从谁那里来的。” —

Most likely she feels insulted by it. She’s not capable of doing such a thing!”
“很可能她感到受侮辱了。她不会做出这样的事情!”

Sonya dried her tears and went up to Natasha, carefully scrutinising her face again.
索尼娅擦干了眼泪,走到纳塔莎跟前,仔细地审视着她的脸。

“Natasha!” she said, hardly audibly.
“纳塔莎!”她几乎听不见地说道。

Natasha waked up and saw Sonya.
纳塔莎醒来,看到了索尼娅。

“Ah, you have come back?”
“啊,你回来了?”

And with the decision and tenderness common at the moment of awakening she embraced her friend. —
在醒来的那一刻,她决定又温柔地拥抱了她的朋友。 —

But noticing embarrassment in Sonya’s face, her face too expressed embarrassment and suspicion.
但是注意到索尼娅脸上的尴尬,她的脸也表达着尴尬和怀疑。

“Sonya, you have read the letter?” she said.
“索尼娅,你读了这封信?”她问道。

“Yes,” said Sonya softly.
“是的,”索尼娅轻声说道。

Natasha smiled ecstatically.
纳塔莎兴奋地笑了。

“No, Sonya, I can’t help it!” she said. “I can’t keep it secret from you any longer. —
“不,索尼娅,我无法控制!”她说。“我不能再对你保密了。 —

You know we love each other! … Sonya, darling, he writes … Sonya …”
你知道我们彼此相爱!…索尼娅,亲爱的,他写道…索尼娅…”

Sonya gazed with wide-open eyes at Natasha, as though unable to believe her ears.
索尼娅睁大眼睛望着娜塔莎,仿佛不敢相信自己的耳朵。

“But Bolkonsky?” she said.
“但是博尔孔斯基呢?” 她说道。

“O Sonya, oh, if you could only know how happy I am! —
“哦,索尼娅,哦,你要是知道我有多开心就好了!” —

” said Natasha. “You don’t know what love …”
娜塔莎说。 “你不知道爱情是什么……”

“But, Natasha, you can’t mean that all that is over?”
“但是,娜塔莎,你不是说这一切都结束了吗?”

Natasha looked with her big, wide eyes at Sonya as though not understanding her question.
娜塔莎用她那双大大的眼睛看着索尼娅,仿佛不理解她的问题。

“Are you breaking it off with Prince Andrey then?” said Sonya.
“你是要和安德烈王子断交吗?” 索尼娅说。

“Oh, you don’t understand; don’t talk nonsense; listen,” said Natasha, with momentary annoyance.
“哦,你不懂;别胡说;听我说,” 娜塔莎带着短暂的烦恼说。

“No, I can’t believe it,” repeated Sonya. “I don’t understand it. —
“不,我无法相信,” 索尼娅反复说。 “我不理解。 —

What, for a whole year you have been loving one man, and all at once … Why, you have only seen him three times. —
你连续一整年都在爱着一个人,突然间……你只见过他三次。 —

Natasha, I can’t believe you, you’re joking. —
娜塔莎,我无法相信你,你在开玩笑。 —

In three days to forget everything, and like this …”
三天的时间就忘记一切,就像这样……”

“Three days,” said Natasha. “It seems to me as though I had loved him for a hundred years. —
“三天,” 娜塔莎说。 “对我来说好像我已经爱他一百年了。” —

It seems to me that I have never loved any one before him. You can’t understand that. —
在我看来,我在他之前从未爱过任何人。你无法理解这一点。 —

Sonya, stay, sit here.” Natasha hugged and kissed her. —
索尼娅,留下来,在这里坐。”娜塔莎拥抱并亲吻她。 —

“I have been told of its happening, and no doubt you have heard of it too, but it’s only now that I have felt such love. —
我已经听说过这个事情,毫无疑问你也听说过,但直到现在我才感受到这样的爱。 —

It’s not what I have felt before. As soon as I saw him, I felt that he was my sovereign and I was his slave, and that I could not help loving him. —
这不是我以前感受过的。当我看到他的时候,我感到他是我的君主,而我是他的奴隶,我无法不爱他。 —

Yes, his slave! Whatever he bids me, I shall do. You don’t understand that. What am I to do? —
是的,他的奴隶!无论他吩咐我做什么,我都会去做。你无法理解这一点。我该怎么办? —

What am I to do, Sonya?” said Natasha, with a blissful and frightened face.
索尼娅,我该怎么办?”娜塔莎带着幸福和恐惧的表情说道。

“But only think what you are doing,” said Sonya. “I can’t leave it like this. —
但你想想你在做什么,”索尼娅说。“我不能就这样放任不管。 —

These secret letters … How could you let him go so far as that? —
这些秘密信件…你怎么能让他走到这一步? —

” she said, with a horror and aversion she could with difficulty conceal.
”她带着难以掩饰的恐惧和厌恶说道。

“I have told you,” answered Natasha, “that I have no will. —
我已经告诉过你,”娜塔莎回答道,“我没有意志。 —

How is it you don’t understand that? I love him!”
为什么你不明白呢?我爱他!”

“Then I can’t let it go on like this. I shall tell about it,” cried Sonya with a burst of tears.
“那么我不能任由这种情况继续下去。我要说出来,”索尼娅哭着说道。

“What … for God’s sake … If you tell, you are my enemy,” said Natasha. —
“为了上帝的缘故……如果你说出去,你就是我的敌人,”娜塔莎说道。 —

“You want to make me miserable, and you want us to be separated…”
“你想让我痛苦,你想让我们分开……”

On seeing Natasha’s alarm, Sonya wept tears of shame and pity for her friend.
看到娜塔莎的惊慌,索尼娅为她的朋友感到惭愧和怜悯而流泪。

“But what has passed between you?” she asked. —
“但你们之间发生了什么?”她问道。 —

“What has he said to you? Why doesn’t he come to the house?”
“他对你说了什么?为什么他不来家里?”

Natasha made no answer to her question.
娜塔莎没有回答她的问题。

“For God’s sake, Sonya, don’t tell any one; don’t torture me,” Natasha implored her. —
“求求你,索尼娅,不要告诉任何人;不要折磨我,”娜塔莎恳求道。 —

“Remember that it doesn’t do to meddle in such matters. —
“记住,不要在这些事情上乱来。 —

I have told you …”
我已经告诉过你了……”

“But why this secrecy? Why doesn’t he come to the house?” Sonya persisted. —
“但为什么要保密?为什么他不来家里?”索尼娅坚持问道。 —

“Why doesn’t he ask for your hand straight out? —
“为什么他不直接向你求婚? —

Prince Andrey, you know, gave you complete liberty, if it really is so; —
你知道,安德烈亲王给了你完全的自由,如果真的是这样的话; —

but I can’t believe in it. Natasha, have you thought what the secret reasons can be?”
但我无法相信。娜塔莎,你有没有考虑过隐藏的原因是什么?”

Natasha looked with wondering eyes at Sonya. Evidently it was the first time that question had presented itself to her, and she did not know how to answer it.
纳塔莎目瞪口呆地看着索尼娅,显然这是她第一次遇到这个问题,她不知道如何回答。

“What the reasons are, I don’t know. But there must be reasons!”
“为什么会有原因,我不知道。但肯定有原因!”

Sonya sighed and shook her head distrustfully.
索尼娅叹了口气,不满地摇了摇头。

“If there were reasons…” she was beginning. —
“如果有原因的话…”她刚要说。 —

But Natasha, divining her doubts, interrupted her in dismay.
但是纳塔莎看出了她的疑虑,惊愕地打断了她。

“Sonya, you mustn’t doubt of him; you mustn’t, you mustn’t! Do you understand?” she cried.
“索尼娅,你不能怀疑他;你不能,你不能!你明白吗?”她喊道。

“Does he love you?”
“他爱你吗?”

“Does he love me?” repeated Natasha, with a smile of compassion for her friend’s dullness of comprehension. —
“他爱我吗?”纳塔莎重复道,对朋友的迟钝怜悯地微笑着。 —

“Why, you have read his letter, haven’t you? —
“为什么,你读了他的信,不是吗? —

You’ve seen him.”
你见过他。”

“But if he is a dishonourable man?”
“但如果他是一个不诚实的人呢?”

“He! … a dishonourable man? If only you knew!” said Natasha.
“他!…一个不诚实的人?如果你只知道!”纳塔莎说。

“If he is an honourable man, he ought either to explain his intentions, or to give up seeing you; —
“如果他是个诚实的人,他要么应该解释他的意图,要么放弃见你; —

and if you won’t do that, I will do it. I’ll write to him. —
如果你不这样做,我会这样做。我会写信给他。 —

I’ll tell papa,” said Sonya resolutely.
我会告诉爸爸,”索尼娅坚定地说道。

“But I can’t live without him!” cried Natasha.
“但是我不能没有他!”娜塔莎喊道。

“Natasha, I don’t understand you. And what are you saying? Think of your father, of Nikolenka.”
“娜塔莎,我不明白你。你在说什么?想想你的父亲,还有尼科连卡。”

“I don’t care for any one, I don’t love any one but him. How dare you say he’s dishonourable! —
“我对任何人都不在乎,我只爱他。你怎么敢说他不光彩! —

Don’t you know that I love him?” cried Natasha. “Sonya, go away; —
难道你不知道我爱他吗?”娜塔莎喊道。“索尼娅,走开; —

I don’t want to quarrel with you; go away, for God’s sake, go away; —
我不想和你争吵;求求你走开; —

you see how wretched I am,” cried Natasha angrily, in a voice of repressed irritation and despair. —
你看我有多么痛苦,”娜塔莎愤怒地大声说道,声音里充满了压抑的愤怒和绝望。 —

Sonya burst into sobs and ran out of the room.
索尼娅哭泣着跑出了房间。

Natasha went to the table, and without a moment’s reflection wrote that answer to Princess Marya, which she had been unable to write all the morning. —
娜塔莎走到桌子旁,毫不犹豫地写下了那封一整个上午都写不出来的回答给玛丽亚公主的信。 —

In her letter she told Princess Marya briefly that all misunderstandings between them were at an end, as taking advantage of the generosity of Prince Andrey, who had at parting given her full liberty, she begged her to forget everything and forgive if she had been in fault in any way, but she could not be his wife. —
在她的信中,她简要告诉玛丽亚公主说,她们之间的一切误会都已经结束了。她趁安德烈亲切地给予她完全自由的时候,请求她忘记一切并原谅她如果她在任何方面有过错,但她不能成为他的妻子。 —

It all seemed to her so easy, so simple, and so clear at that moment.
在那一刻,她觉得一切都是那么轻松、简单和清晰。

The Rostovs were to return to the country on Friday, but on Wednesday the count went with the intending purchaser to his estate near Moscow.
罗斯托夫一家本应在星期五返回农村,但星期三,伯爵陪着有意买主去了他在莫斯科附近的庄园。

On the day the count left, Sonya and Natasha were invited to a big dinner-party at Julie Karagin’s, and Marya Dmitryevna took them. —
在伯爵离开的那天,索尼娅和娜塔莎被邀请参加朱莉·卡拉金的大型晚宴,玛丽亚·德米特里耶芙娜带她们去了那里。 —

At that dinner Natasha met Anatole again, and Sonya noticed that Natasha said something to him, trying not to be overheard, and was all through the dinner more excited than before. —
在那个晚宴上,娜塔莎再次遇见了阿纳托尔,索尼娅注意到娜塔莎对他说了一些话,试图不被听到,并且在整个晚宴期间比之前更加兴奋。 —

When they got home, Natasha was the first to enter upon the conversation with Sonya that her friend was expecting.
回到家后,娜塔莎首先与索尼娅进行了她朋友所期待的对话。

“Well, Sonya, you said all sorts of silly things about him,” Natasha began in a meek voice, the voice in which children speak when they want to be praised for being good. —
“嗯,索尼娅,你说了很多傻话,”娜塔莎用一种孩子们希望因为表现好而得到赞扬的温顺声音开始说。 —

“I have had it all out with him to-day.”
“今天我已经与他好好谈过了。”

“Well, what did he say? Well? Come, what did he say? —
“嗯,他说了什么?嗯?来,他说了什么? —

Natasha, I’m so glad you’re not angry with me. —
“娜塔莎,我很高兴你不生我的气。 —

Tell me everything, all the truth. What did he say?”
“告诉我一切,全部的真相。他说了什么?”

Natasha sank into thought.
“娜塔莎陷入了思考。

“O Sonya, if you knew him as I do! He said … He asked me what promise I had given Bolkonsky. —
“哦,索尼娅,如果你像我了解他一样!他说……他问我给了波尔康斯基什么承诺。 —

He was so glad that I was free to refuse him.”
“他为我能够拒绝他感到高兴。

Sonya sighed dejectedly.
索尼娅沮丧地叹了口气。

“But you haven’t refused Bolkonsky, have you?” she said.
“但你没有拒绝波尔康斯基,对吗?”她说。

“Oh, perhaps I have refused him! Perhaps it’s all at an end with Bolkonsky. —
“哦,也许我拒绝了他!也许波尔康斯基就完了。 —

Why do you think so ill of me?”
“你为什么这么看不起我?”

“I don’t think anything, only I don’t understand this.…”
“我什么也不认为,只是我不明白这个……”

“Wait a little, Sonya, you will understand it all. —
“等一会儿,索尼娅,你会明白一切。 —

You will see the sort of man he is. Don’t think ill of me, or of him.”
“你会看到他是什么样的人。不要对我,或者他有什么不好的想法。”

“I don’t think ill of any one; I like every one and am sorry for every one. —
“我对任何人都不抱恶意;我喜欢每个人,对每个人都感到遗憾。 —

But what am I to do?”
但我该怎么办?”

Sonya would not let herself be won over by the affectionate tone Natasha took with her. —
索尼娅不愿被娜塔莎那带着亲切语气的态度所打动。 —

The softer and the more ingratiating Natasha’s face became, the more serious and stern became the face of Sonya.
娜塔莎的脸越加柔和和讨好,索尼娅的脸变得越加严肃和冷漠。

“Natasha,” she said, “you asked me not to speak to you, and I haven’t spoken; —
“娜塔莎,你请我不要对你说话,我也没有说话; —

now you have begun yourself. Natasha, I don’t trust him. —
现在是你自己开口了。娜塔莎,我不相信他。 —

Why this secrecy?”
为什么要保密呢?”

“Again, again!” interrupted Natasha.
“又来了,又来了!”娜塔莎打断她。

“Natasha, I am afraid for you.”
“娜塔莎,我为你担心。”

“What is there to be afraid of?”
“有什么好担心的?”

“I am afraid you will be ruined,” said Sonya resolutely, herself horrified at what she was saying.
“我担心你会毁灭自己。”索尼娅坚定地说道,自己对自己所说的话感到惊恐。

Natasha’s face expressed anger again.
娜塔莎的脸又表露出愤怒。

“Then I will be ruined, I will; I’ll hasten to my ruin. It’s not your business. —
“那么我就毁灭自己,我就会自取灭亡。这不关你的事。 —

It’s not you, but I, will suffer for it. —
这不是你,而是我,会为此承受痛苦。 —

Leave me alone, leave me alone. I hate you!”
离开我,离开我。我恨你!”

“Natasha!” Sonya appealed to her in dismay.
“纳塔莎!”苏尼娅失望地向她求助。

“I hate you, I hate you! And you’re my enemy for ever!”
“我恨你,我恨你!你永远是我的敌人!”

Natasha ran out of the room.
纳塔莎跑出了房间。

Natasha avoided Sonya and did not speak to her again. —
纳塔莎回避了苏尼娅,不再和她说话。 —

With the same expression of agitated wonder and guilt she wandered about the rooms, taking up first one occupation and then another, and throwing them aside again at once.
她满怀焦躁的惊奇和愧疚表情,在房间里闲逛,先从事一项工作,然后立刻放弃。

Hard as it was for Sonya, she kept watch over her friend and never let her out of her sight.
尽管对苏尼娅来说很难,她却一直守望着她的朋友,从未让她离开她的视线。

On the day before that fixed for the count’s return, Sonya noticed that Natasha sat all the morning at the drawing-room window, as though expecting something, and that she made a sign to an officer who passed by, whom Sonya took to be Anatole.
在男爵回来的前一天,苏尼娅注意到纳塔莎整个上午都坐在客厅的窗户前,仿佛在等待着什么,她还对一个路过的军官示意,苏尼娅认为那是阿纳托尔。

Sonya began watching her friend even more attentively, and she noticed that all dinner-time and in the evening Natasha was in a strange and unnatural state, unlike herself. —
苏尼娅更加密切地观察着她的朋友,她注意到整个用餐时间和晚上,纳塔莎处于一种奇怪而不自然的状态,与她自己不同。 —

She made irrelevant replies to questions asked her, began sentences and did not finish them, and laughed at everything.
她对提问做出了无关的回答,开始了句子却没有完成,对一切都笑个不停。

After tea Sonya saw the maid timidly waiting for her to pass at Natasha’s door. —
抹去眼泪后,索尼娅看见女仆在纳塔莎的门前胆怯地等待她经过。 —

She let her go in, and listening at the door, found out that another letter had been given her. —
她让女仆进去,侧耳听着门后的动静,发现有另一封信被交给了纳塔莎。 —

And all at once it was clear to Sonya that Natasha had some dreadful plan for that evening. —
对索尼娅来说,纳塔莎今晚有某种可怕的计划,这一点突然变得清楚起来。 —

Sonya knocked at her door. Natasha would not let her in.
索尼娅敲了敲她的门,但纳塔莎不让她进去。

“She is going to run away with him!” thought Sonya. “She is capable of anything. —
“她要和他私奔!”索尼娅想道。“她什么都敢做。” —

There was something particularly piteous and determined in her face to-day. —
纳塔莎今天的脸显得特别可怜和坚决。 —

She cried as she said good-bye to uncle,” Sonya remembered. —
“她对着叔叔哭着告别,”索尼娅记起来。 —

“Yes, it’s certain, she’s going to run away with him; but what am I to do? —
“是的,可以确定,她要和他私奔了;但我该怎么办呢?” —

” wondered Sonya, recalling now all the signs that so clearly betokened some dreadful resolution on Natasha’s part. —
索尼娅思索着,回忆起纳塔莎行为中那些明显预示着她要做某种可怕决定的迹象。 —

“The count is not here. What am I to do? Write to Kuragin, demanding an explanation from him? —
“伯爵不在这儿。我该怎么办?给库拉金写封信,要求他作出解释吗?” —

But who is to make him answer? Write to Pierre, as Prince Andrey asked me to do in case of trouble? —
“但是谁能逼他回答呢?给皮埃尔写信,正如安德烈王子要我在麻烦发生时做的那样?” —

… But perhaps she really has refused Bolkonsky (she sent off a letter to Princess Marya yesterday). —
但也许她真的拒绝了Bolkonsky(她昨天给玛丽亚公主寄了一封信)。 —

Uncle is not here.”
叔叔不在这里。

To tell Marya Dmitryevna, who had such faith in Natasha, seemed to Sonya a fearful step to take.
告诉对纳塔莎有如此信任的玛丽亚·德米特里耶夫娜,对索尼娅来说是一个可怕的步骤。

“But one way or another,” thought Sonya, standing in the dark corridor, “now or never the time has come for me to show that I am mindful of all the benefits I have received from their family and that I love Nikolay. —
但无论如何,索尼娅想着,站在黑暗的走廊里,“现在或永不是时候让我展示我对他们家族所得的所有好处都心有所念,并且我爱尼古拉。 —

No, if I have to go three nights together without sleep; —
不,如果我必须连续三个晚上不睡觉。 —

I won’t leave this corridor, and I will prevent her passing by force, and not let disgrace come upon their family,” she thought.
我不会离开这个走廊,我会阻止她强行通过,并且不会让耻辱降临到他们家族。”她想道。