Three o’clock in the morning had just struck, and he had been walking thus for five hours, almost uninterruptedly, when he at length allowed himself to drop into his chair.
凌晨三点钟刚刚敲响,他已经这样走了五个小时,几乎是不间断地,最终他终于允许自己坐到椅子上。

There he fell asleep and had a dream.
他在那里睡着了,做了一个梦。

This dream, like the majority of dreams, bore no relation to the situation, except by its painful and heart-rending character, but it made an impression on him. —
这个梦,像大多数梦一样,与情况没有关系,除了它的痛苦和心碎的特性,但它给他留下了印象。 —

This nightmare struck him so forcibly that he wrote it down later on. —
这个噩梦给他留下了如此深刻的印象,以至后来他把它写了下来。 —

It is one of the papers in his own handwriting which he has bequeathed to us. —
这是他自己手写的文件中的其中一篇,他留给我们的。 —

We think that we have here reproduced the thing in strict accordance with the text.
我们认为我们已经严格按照文本重新制作了这个事情。

Of whatever nature this dream may be, the history of this night would be incomplete if we were to omit it: —
无论这个梦的性质如何,如果我们忽略它,这个夜晚的历史就会不完整: —

it is the gloomy adventure of an ailing soul.
这是一个患病灵魂的阴暗冒险。

Here it is. On the envelope we find this line inscribed, “The Dream I had that Night.”
这就是梦。在信封上,我们发现这行字“我那晚做的梦”。

“I was in a plain; a vast, gloomy plain, where there was no grass. —
“我站在一个平原上;一个广袤、阴郁的平原,那里没有草。 —

It did not seem to me to be daylight nor yet night.
看起来不像白天也不像黑夜。

“I was walking with my brother, the brother of my childish years, the brother of whom, I must say, I never think, and whom I now hardly remember.
“我和我的哥哥一起走,那位我儿时的哥哥,我现在几乎不记得,也几乎不再想起。

“We were conversing and we met some passers-by. —
“我们在交谈,遇到了一些过路人。 —

We were talking of a neighbor of ours in former days, who had always worked with her window open from the time when she came to live on the street. —
我们正在谈论以前我们街上的一个邻居,那位自她搬到这条街上生活以来,总是开着窗户工作的邻居。 —

As we talked we felt cold because of that open window.
在我们谈话的时候,由于那扇敞开的窗户,我们感到寒冷。

“There were no trees in the plain. We saw a man passing close to us. —
“平原上没有树。我们看见一个走近我们的男人。 —

He was entirely nude, of the hue of ashes, and mounted on a horse which was earth color. —
他完全赤裸,颜色像灰烬,并骑在一匹土色的马上。 —

The man had no hair; we could see his skull and the veins on it. —
这个男人没有头发;我们可以看到他的头骨和上面的静脉。 —

In his hand he held a switch which was as supple as a vine-shoot and as heavy as iron. —
他手里拿着一根像葡萄藤一样柔软又重如铁的鞭子。 —

This horseman passed and said nothing to us.
这骑马者走过并没有对我们说话。

“My brother said to me, `Let us take to the hollow road.’
“我的兄弟对我说,‘让我们走进那条凹道。

“There existed a hollow way wherein one saw neither a single shrub nor a spear of moss. —
“那里有一条凹道,没有任何灌木树或苔藓。 —

Everything was dirt-colored, even the sky. —
一切都是泥色,连天空也是。 —

After proceeding a few paces, I received no reply when I spoke: —
走了几步后,我发现当我说话时没有得到回答; —

I perceived that my brother was no longer with me.
我发现我的兄弟不再和我在一起。

“I entered a village which I espied. I reflected that it must be Romainville. (Why Romainville?)[5]
“我走进了一个我看见的村庄。我想那一定是罗曼维尔。(为什么是罗曼维尔?)

[5] This parenthesis is due to Jean Valjean.
[5] 这个括号是由让·瓦尔热安添加的。

“The first street that I entered was deserted. I entered a second street. —
“我进入了一条荒废的街道。我进入了第二条街道。 —

Behind the angle formed by the two streets, a man was standing erect against the wall. —
在这两条街道形成的角落后面,一个人直立站在墙边。 —

I said to this Man:–
我对这个人说:–”

”`What country is this? Where am I?’ The man made no reply. —
“这是什么国家?我在哪里?”那人没有回答。 —

I saw the door of a house open, and I entered.
我看到一所房子的门开着,就走了进去。

“The first chamber was deserted. I entered the second. —
“第一间房子里空无一人。我走进了第二间。 —

Behind the door of this chamber a man was standing erect against the wall. —
在这间房子的门后,有一个人笔直地站在墙壁上。 —

I inquired of this man, `Whose house is this? —
我问这个人,“这是谁的房子? —

Where am I?’ The man replied not.
我在哪里?”那人没有回答。

“The house had a garden. I quitted the house and entered the garden. The garden was deserted. —
“这所房子有一个花园。我离开了房子,走进了花园。花园里空无一人。 —

Behind the first tree I found a man standing upright. —
在第一棵树后面,我发现一个人笔直地站着。 —

I said to this man, `What garden is this? —
我对这个人说,“这是什么花园? —

Where am I?’ The man did not answer.
我在哪里?”那人没有回答。

“I strolled into the village, and perceived that it was a town. —
“我漫步进入村庄,发现这是一个城镇。 —

All the streets were deserted, all the doors were open. —
所有的街道都空无一人,所有的门都敞开着。 —

Not a single living being was passing in the streets, walking through the chambers or strolling in the gardens. —
街上没有一个活人经过,没有人在房子里走动,也没有人在花园里散步。 —

But behind each angle of the walls, behind each door, behind each tree, stood a silent man. —
但在墙角的每个角落后面,在每扇门后面,在每棵树后面,都站着一个无声的人。 —

Only one was to be seen at a time. These men watched me pass.
一次只能看到一个。这些人看着我经过。”

“I left the town and began to ramble about the fields.
我离开了镇子,开始在田野上漫步。

“After the lapse of some time I turned back and saw a great crowd coming up behind me. —
经过一段时间,我回头看到一大群人正从后面赶来。 —

I recognized all the men whom I had seen in that town. They had strange heads. —
我认出了所有我在镇上见过的那些人。他们的头看起来很奇怪。 —

They did not seem to be in a hurry, yet they walked faster than I did. —
他们似乎不急,但走得比我快。 —

They made no noise as they walked. In an instant this crowd had overtaken and surrounded me. —
他们走路的时候一点声音都没有。转眼间,这群人就追上并包围了我。 —

The faces of these men were earthen in hue.
这些人的脸色泥土般苍白。

“Then the first one whom I had seen and questioned on entering the town said to me:–
然后我在进镇时见过的第一个人对我说:–

”`Whither are you going! Do you not know that you have been dead this long time?’
“你要去哪里?难道不知道你已经死了这么长时间了吗?”

“I opened my mouth to reply, and I perceived that there was no one near me.”
我张口想回答,却发现我周围没有人。

He woke. He was icy cold. A wind which was chill like the breeze of dawn was rattling the leaves of the window, which had been left open on their hinges. —
他醒了。他冰冷。一股冷冷的风吹着窗户上被忽略的叶子,在那里响起。 —

The fire was out. The candle was nearing its end. —
火已经熄灭。蜡烛接近尽头。 —

It was still black night.
夜晚还是黑沉。

He rose, he went to the window. There were no stars in the sky even yet.
他起身,走向窗户。即使夜色未散,天空中依然没有星星。

From his window the yard of the house and the street were visible. —
从窗户望去,可以看到房屋的院子和街道。 —

A sharp, harsh noise, which made him drop his eyes, resounded from the earth.
一阵尖锐、刺耳的声音,让他垂下了眼。

Below him he perceived two red stars, whose rays lengthened and shortened in a singular manner through the darkness.
他在下面看到两颗红星,它们的光线在黑暗中以一种奇特的方式拉长和缩短。

As his thoughts were still half immersed in the mists of sleep, “Hold!” —
当他的思绪仍然半沉浸在睡梦中时,“停!” —

said he, “there are no stars in the sky. —
他说,“天空中没有星星。 —

They are on earth now.”
它们现在在地球上。”

But this confusion vanished; a second sound similar to the first roused him thoroughly; —
但这种困惑很快消失了;第二声和第一声相似的声音把他彻底惊醒了; —

he looked and recognized the fact that these two stars were the lanterns of a carriage. —
他看了看,意识到这两颗星星是一辆马车的灯笼。 —

By the light which they cast he was able to distinguish the form of this vehicle. —
在它们投射的光线下,他能够辨认出这辆车的形状。 —

It was a tilbury harnessed to a small white horse. —
它是一辆挽着一匹小白马的轻便马车。 —

The noise which he had heard was the trampling of the horse’s hoofs on the pavement.
他所听到的声音是马蹄在人行道上的跺踏声。

“What vehicle is this?” he said to himself. “Who is coming here so early in the morning?”
“这是什么车?”他自言自语地说。“谁这么早就来了?”

At that moment there came a light tap on the door of his chamber.
就在那时,他的房间门上轻轻拍了一下。

He shuddered from head to foot, and cried in a terrible voice:–
他从头到脚颤抖,用可怕的声音喊道:——

“Who is there?”
“谁在那里?”

Some one said:–
有人说:——

“I, Monsieur le Maire.”
“我,市长先生。”

He recognized the voice of the old woman who was his portress.
他认出了那位老妇人的声音,她是他的门房。

“Well!” he replied, “what is it?”
“嗯!”他回答道,“怎么了?”

“Monsieur le Maire, it is just five o’clock in the morning.”
“市长先生,现在早上五点了。”

“What is that to me?”
“这对我有什么影响?”

“The cabriolet is here, Monsieur le Maire.”
“马车已经在这里了,市长先生。”

“What cabriolet?”
“什么马车?”

“The tilbury.”
“那辆轻便马车。”

“What tilbury?”
“什么轻便马车?”

“Did not Monsieur le Maire order a tilbury?”
“市长先生不是订了一辆轻便马车吗?”

“No,” said he.
“没有,”他说。

“The coachman says that he has come for Monsieur le Maire.”
“车夫说他是来接市长先生的。”

“What coachman?”
“什么车夫?”

“M. Scaufflaire’s coachman.”
“斯科夫莱尔先生的车夫。”

“M. Scaufflaire?”
“斯科夫莱尔先生?”

That name sent a shudder over him, as though a flash of lightning had passed in front of his face.
那个名字让他颤抖不已,就像一道闪电划过他的脸庞。

“Ah! yes,” he resumed; “M. Scaufflaire!”
“啊!是的”,他又说道:“司考夫莱尔先生!”

If the old woman could have seen him at that moment, she would have been frightened.
如果那位老妇人能在那一刻看见他,她一定会感到害怕。

A tolerably long silence ensued. He examined the flame of the candle with a stupid air, and from around the wick he took some of the burning wax, which he rolled between his fingers. —
接着沉默了一段时间。他用愚蠢的表情审视着蜡烛的火焰,从蜡烛周围取下一些燃烧的蜡,然后在手指间搓动。 —

The old woman waited for him. She even ventured to uplift her voice once more:–
老妇人等待着他。她甚至冒昧再次开口:“我该怎么说,市长先生?”

“What am I to say, Monsieur le Maire?”
“说一切都好,我马上下来。”

“Say that it is well, and that I am coming down.”
“说一切都好,我马上下来。”