It was he, in fact. The clerk’s lamp illumined his countenance. He held his hat in his hand; —
事实上,正是他。店员的灯光照亮了他的面容。他手拿着帽子; —

there was no disorder in his clothing; his coat was carefully buttoned; —
他的衣服整洁有序;外套被仔细扣上了钮扣; —

he was very pale, and he trembled slightly; —
他面色苍白,微微颤抖; —

his hair, which had still been gray on his arrival in Arras, was now entirely white: —
他原来还是灰色的头发在抵达阿拉斯时已经完全变白了; —

it had turned white during the hour he had sat there.
他坐在那里的一个小时中就变白了;

All heads were raised: the sensation was indescribable; —
所有人的头都转了过来:那种感觉无法言喻; —

there was a momentary hesitation in the audience, the voice had been so heart-rending; —
观众中出现了短暂的犹豫,声音太令人心碎了; —

the man who stood there appeared so calm that they did not understand at first. —
站在那里的人看起来如此冷静,他们一开始不明白; —

They asked themselves whether he had indeed uttered that cry; —
他们问自己是否他确实发出了那声呐喊; —

they could not believe that that tranquil man had been the one to give that terrible outcry.
他们无法相信那位安静的人竟然发出了那令人闻者心碎的呼声;

This indecision only lasted a few seconds. —
这种犹豫只持续了几秒钟; —

Even before the President and the district-attorney could utter a word, before the ushers and the gendarmes could make a gesture, the man whom all still called, at that moment, M. Madeleine, had advanced towards the witnesses Cochepaille, Brevet, and Chenildieu.
在总裁和检察长发出言辞之前,在担任传达员和宪兵做出手势之前,所有人此刻仍称之为马德兰先生的人走向了证人科舍帕伊,布烈维和尚尼迪乌;

“Do you not recognize me?” said he.
“你们不认识我吗?”他说;

All three remained speechless, and indicated by a sign of the head that they did not know him. —
三人都保持沉默,并通过点头示意表示他们不认识他; —

Cochepaille, who was intimidated, made a military salute. —
被吓倒的科舍帕伊向他行了一个军礼。 —

M. Madeleine turned towards the jury and the court, and said in a gentle voice:–
马德兰向陪审团和法庭转过身来,用温和的声音说道:

“Gentlemen of the jury, order the prisoner to be released! Mr. President, have me arrested. —
“陪审团先生们,命令释放这名囚犯!法庭长官,逮捕我吧。 —

He is not the man whom you are in search of; —
他并不是你们在找寻的那个人; —

it is I: I am Jean Valjean.”
那个人是我:我就是让·瓦尔热安。

Not a mouth breathed; the first commotion of astonishment had been followed by a silence like that of the grave; —
在场的每个人都屏住了呼吸;惊讶的第一片骚动之后,一片如坟墓般的寂静降临; —

those within the hall experienced that sort of religious terror which seizes the masses when something grand has been done.
在场的人们体会到了那种在有伟大事件发生时群众会被降低的宗教恐惧感。

In the meantime, the face of the President was stamped with sympathy and sadness; —
与此同时,法庭长官的脸上洋溢着同情和悲伤; —

he had exchanged a rapid sign with the district-attorney and a few low-toned words with the assistant judges; —
他用眼色与地方检察官交换了一个快速的信号,与副法官低声交流了几句; —

he addressed the public, and asked in accents which all understood:–
他对观众发表讲话,用一种所有人都理解的语调询问道:

“Is there a physician present?”
“在场有医生吗?”

The district-attorney took the word:–
地方检察官接过话头:

“Gentlemen of the jury, the very strange and unexpected incident which disturbs the audience inspires us, like yourselves, only with a sentiment which it is unnecessary for us to express. —
“陪审团先生们,干扰观众的这一非常奇异和意想不到的事件,只能给我们和你们一样,带来一种无需表达的感情。 —

You all know, by reputation at least, the honorable M. Madeleine, mayor of M. sur M.; —
至少声誉由来已久的尊贵的M.马德兰,M. sur M.的市长,你们皆知; —

if there is a physician in the audience, we join the President in requesting him to attend to M. Madeleine, and to conduct him to his home.”
如果现场有医生,请务必和法庭长官一同帮助M.马德兰,并将他送回家。

M.Madeleine did not allow the district-attorney to finish; —
马德兰不等地方检察官说完; —

he interrupted him in accents full of suavity and authority. These are the words which he uttered; —
他用充满温和与权威的口吻打断了他。他说的话是: —

here they are literally, as they were written down, immediately after the trial by one of the witnesses to this scene, and as they now ring in the ears of those who heard them nearly forty years ago:–
以下是他当晚审判结束后,由一位目击者立即记录下来的文字,如今仍在那些近四十年前听到它们的人们的耳中回响:

“I thank you, Mr. District-Attorney, but I am not mad; you shall see; —
“感谢您,地方检察官,但我并不疯狂; 你们将会见证; —

you were on the point of committing a great error; release this man! I am fulfilling a duty; —
您将要犯下一个大错误; 释放这个人! 我在履行一个责任; —

I am that miserable criminal. I am the only one here who sees the matter clearly, and I am telling you the truth. —
我就是那个可怜的罪犯。我是这里唯一看清楚事情的人,我告诉你们事实。 —

God, who is on high, looks down on what I am doing at this moment, and that suffices. —
上帝在高处俯视我此刻所做的一切,这足够了。 —

You can take me, for here I am: but I have done my best; I concealed myself under another name; —
你们可以带走我,因为我在这里:但我已尽力; 我用另一个名字隐藏了自己; —

I have become rich; I have become a mayor; I have tried to re-enter the ranks of the honest. —
我变得富有; 我成为了市长; 我试图重新加入诚实的队伍。 —

It seems that that is not to be done. In short, there are many things which I cannot tell. —
似乎那不可能。总之,有很多事情我无法告诉你们。 —

I will not narrate the story of my life to you; you will hear it one of these days. —
我不会向你们叙述我的生活故事; 你们总有一天会听到。 —

I robbed Monseigneur the Bishop, it is true; it is true that I robbed Little Gervais; —
我抢劫了主教大人,这是真的; 我抢劫了小杰维斯; —

they were right in telling you that Jean Valjean was a very vicious wretch. —
他们告诉你们让·瓦尔让是一个非常邪恶的恶棍。 —

Perhaps it was not altogether his fault. Listen, honorable judges! —
也许这并不完全是他的错。请听着,尊贵的法官们! —

a man who has been so greatly humbled as I have has neither any remonstrances to make to Providence, nor any advice to give to society; —
像我这样受到如此严重羞辱的人既不向上帝提出任何抗议,也没有给社会提出任何建议; —

but, you see, the infamy from which I have tried to escape is an injurious thing; —
但是,你看,我曾试图逃避的耻辱是一件有害的事情; —

the galleys make the convict what he is; reflect upon that, if you please. —
禁锢使罪犯变成了现在这个样子;请思考一下这一点。 —

Before going to the galleys, I was a poor peasant, with very little intelligence, a sort of idiot; —
在去禁锢之前,我是一个贫穷的农民,智力很低,有点像个白痴。 —

the galleys wrought a change in me. I was stupid; I became vicious: I was a block of wood; —
禁锢改变了我。我以前愚蠢,变得邪恶:我以前是一块木头,现在却成了引火的柴。 —

I became a firebrand. Later on, indulgence and kindness saved me, as severity had ruined me. —
后来,宽容和善意拯救了我,因为严酷使我毁灭。 —

But, pardon me, you cannot understand what I am saying. —
不过,请原谅,你无法理解我在说什么。 —

You will find at my house, among the ashes in the fireplace, the forty-sou piece which I stole, seven years ago, from little Gervais. —
在我的房子里,壁炉里的灰堆里,你会找到我七年前从小杰尔韦偷走的四十便士。 —

I have nothing farther to add; take me. Good God! the district-attorney shakes his head; —
我没有别的要补充;带我走吧。天呐!地方检察官摇了摇头; —

you say, ’M. Madeleine has gone mad!’ you do not believe me! that is distressing. —
你们说,“马德兰疯了!”你们不信我!这太令人痛苦了。 —

Do not, at least, condemn this man! What! these men do not recognize me! —
至少不要定这个人的罪!什么!这些人不认识我! —

I wish Javert were here; he would recognize me.”
我真希望雅维尔在这里;他会认出我来的。”

Nothing can reproduce the sombre and kindly melancholy of tone which accompanied these words.
没有什么能复制出这些话的阴郁和和善的忧郁情绪。

He turned to the three convicts, and said:–
他转向三个囚犯,说道:–

“Well, I recognize you; do you remember, Brevet?”
“那个,我认得你;Brevet,你记得吧?”

He paused, hesitated for an instant, and said:–
他停了顿,犹豫了一会儿,然后说:–

“Do you remember the knitted suspenders with a checked pattern which you wore in the galleys?”
“你还记得你在禁锢时穿的那条有格子图案的袜子吗?”

Brevet gave a start of surprise, and surveyed him from head to foot with a frightened air. He continued:–
布雷韦特惊讶地吃了一惊,用一种恐惧的神情从头到脚打量着他。他接着说:–

“Chenildieu, you who conferred on yourself the name of Jenie-Dieu,' your whole right shoulder bears a deep burn, because you one day laid your shoulder against the chafing-dish full of coals, in order to efface the three letters T. F. P., which are still visible, nevertheless; --- <span><tang1> "舍尼迪厄,你自称为神行者’,你的整个右肩上有一个深深的烧伤,因为有一天你把肩膀搁在装满炭火的灶上,以消除仍然清晰可见的三个字母T. F. P.; —

answer, is this true?”
回答,这是真的吗?”

“It is true,” said Chenildieu.
“是的,”舍尼迪厄说。

He addressed himself to Cochepaille:–
他转向科舍帕伊:–

“Cochepaille, you have, near the bend in your left arm, a date stamped in blue letters with burnt powder; —
“科舍帕伊,你左臂的弯曲处有一个用烧焦粉末刻着的蓝色字母日期; —

the date is that of the landing of the Emperor at Cannes, March 1, 1815; —
日期是拿破仑于1815年3月1日在戛纳着陆的日期; —

pull up your sleeve!”
卷起你的袖子!”

Cochepaille pushed up his sleeve; all eyes were focused on him and on his bare arm.
科舍帕伊卷起了袖子;所有人的目光都聚集在他和他赤裸的手臂上。

A gendarme held a light close to it; there was the date.
一个宪兵把灯靠近了他的手臂;日期就在那里。

The unhappy man turned to the spectators and the judges with a smile which still rends the hearts of all who saw it whenever they think of it. —
这个不幸的人转向围观者和法官们,以一种至今让所有看到的人心碎的微笑。 —

It was a smile of triumph; it was also a smile of despair.
这是一种胜利的微笑;也是一种绝望的微笑。

“You see plainly,” he said, “that I am Jean Valjean.”
“你们清楚地看到,”他说,“我就是让·瓦尔热。”

In that chamber there were no longer either judges, accusers, nor gendarmes; —
在那个房间里,已不再有法官、控告者或者宪兵; —

there was nothing but staring eyes and sympathizing hearts. —
那里只有瞪大的眼睛和同情的心。 —

No one recalled any longer the part that each might be called upon to play; —
没有人再记得各自可能被召唤去扮演的角色; —

the district-attorney forgot he was there for the purpose of prosecuting, the President that he was there to preside, the counsel for the defence that he was there to defend. —
地方检察官忘记了他在那里的目的是起诉,总统忘记了他在那里的作为主持者,辩护律师忘记了他在那里的目的是为被告辩护; —

It was a striking circumstance that no question was put, that no authority intervened. —
令人惊讶的是没有提出问题,没有任何权威干预; —

The peculiarity of sublime spectacles is, that they capture all souls and turn witnesses into spectators. —
壮观景象的特殊之处在于,它们吸引了所有的灵魂,将目击者转变为观众; —

No one, probably, could have explained what he felt; —
大概没有人能够解释自己的感受; —

no one, probably, said to himself that he was witnessing the splendid outburst of a grand light: —
大概也没有人对自己说,他所见证的是一场辉煌的伟大光明的爆发; —

all felt themselves inwardly dazzled.
所有人都感到内心被眩目;

It was evident that they had Jean Valjean before their eyes. That was clear. —
明显地,他们眼前有让·瓦尔琼。 —

The appearance of this man had sufficed to suffuse with light that matter which had been so obscure but a moment previously, without any further explanation: —
这人的出现足以使那一刻前还是如此昏暗的事件充满了光明,没有进一步的解释; —

the whole crowd, as by a sort of electric revelation, understood instantly and at a single glance the simple and magnificent history of a man who was delivering himself up so that another man might not be condemned in his stead. —
在那一瞬间,整个人群仿佛被电光所启示,立刻一目了然地领悟了一个简单而伟大的故事——一个自首以换一个人不再被定罪的人的故事; —

The details, the hesitations, little possible oppositions, were swallowed up in that vast and luminous fact.
细节、犹豫和微小的可能反对意见都被那巨大而明亮的事实所淹没;

It was an impression which vanished speedily, but which was irresistible at the moment.
这种印象很快消失,但在瞬间却是无法抗拒的;

“I do not wish to disturb the court further,” resumed Jean Valjean. —
“我不想再打扰法庭,” 让·瓦尔琼继续说道; —

“I shall withdraw, since you do not arrest me. I have many things to do. —
“我会离开,既然你们不逮捕我。我有很多事要做; —

The district-attorney knows who I am; he knows whither I am going; —
地方检察官知道我是谁;他知道我要去哪里;” —

he can have me arrested when he likes.”
他可以随时把我逮捕。”

He directed his steps towards the door. Not a voice was raised, not an arm extended to hinder him. —
他走向门口。 没有人发出声音,也没有伸出手臂阻止他。 —

All stood aside. At that moment there was about him that divine something which causes multitudes to stand aside and make way for a man. —
大家都让开了。 他身上有一种神性的气息,让人群为之让道。 —

He traversed the crowd slowly. It was never known who opened the door, but it is certain that he found the door open when he reached it. —
他慢慢穿过人群。 没有人知道是谁开了门,但确定的是当他走到门口时,门是敞开的。 —

On arriving there he turned round and said:–
当他走到那里时,他转身说:

“I am at your command, Mr. District-Attorney.”
“我尊敬地听候,检察官先生。”

Then he addressed the audience:–
然后他对观众说道:

“All of you, all who are present–consider me worthy of pity, do you not? Good God! —
“在座的所有人,你们都认为我值得同情,是吧?天哪! —

When I think of what I was on the point of doing, I consider that I am to be envied. —
当我想起我刚要做的事情时,我觉得自己应该是值得羡慕的。 —

Nevertheless, I should have preferred not to have had this occur.”
然而,我宁愿这种事情不要发生。”

He withdrew, and the door closed behind him as it had opened, for those who do certain sovereign things are always sure of being served by some one in the crowd.
他离开了,门像开启一样自动关闭,因为那些做出某些至高行为的人,总会得到人群中的某人的服务。

Less than an hour after this, the verdict of the jury freed the said Champmathieu from all accusations; —
这件事发生不到一个小时后,陪审团的裁决解除了对那名叫尚马修的指控; —

and Champmathieu, being at once released, went off in a state of stupefaction, thinking that all men were fools, and comprehending nothing of this vision.
尚马修立刻被释放了,他茫然不解,以为所有人都是傻瓜,对这一幕一无所知。