Chat at table, the chat of love; it is as impossible to reproduce one as the other; the chat of love is a cloud; —
在餐桌上的聊天,像爱一样无法复制;爱的对话是一片云; —

the chat at table is smoke.
在餐桌上的聊天是烟雾;

Fameuil and Dahlia were humming. Tholomyes was drinking. —
法梅伊和达利娅在哼唱,托洛米耶在喝酒; —

Zephine was laughing, Fantine smiling, Listolier blowing a wooden trumpet which he had purchased at Saint-Cloud.
泽芬娜在笑,范汀娜微笑,利斯托利埃吹着他在圣克卢购买的木喇叭;

Favourite gazed tenderly at Blachevelle and said:–
法沃瑞特柔情地凝视着布拉谢维尔说:–

“Blachevelle, I adore you.”
“布拉谢维尔,我爱你。”

This called forth a question from Blachevelle:–
这引来了布拉谢维尔的问题:–

“What would you do, Favourite, if I were to cease to love you?”
“法沃瑞特,如果我停止爱你,你会怎么做?”

“I!” cried Favourite. “Ah! Do not say that even in jest! —
“我!” 法沃瑞特叫道,“啊!即使开玩笑也不要这么说! —

If you were to cease to love me, I would spring after you, I would scratch you, I should rend you, I would throw you into the water, I would have you arrested.”
如果你停止爱我,我会扑向你,我会抓破你,我会撕裂你,我会把你扔进水里,我会让你被逮捕。”

Blachevelle smiled with the voluptuous self-conceit of a man who is tickled in his self-love. —
布拉谢维尔带着一种被捅痒了的自我骄傲的表情笑了。 —

Favourite resumed:–
法沃瑞特继续说:–

“Yes, I would scream to the police! Ah! I should not restrain myself, not at all! Rabble!”
“是的,我会高喊要叫警察!啊!我一点也不会控制自己,一点也不会!流氓!”

Blachevelle threw himself back in his chair, in an ecstasy, and closed both eyes proudly.
布拉谢维尔陶醉地仰靠在椅子上,骄傲地闭上双眼。

Dahlia, as she ate, said in a low voice to Favourite, amid the uproar:–
达利娅在吃饭时低声对着法沃瑞特说,在这喧哗中:–

“So you really idolize him deeply, that Blachevelle of yours?”
“所以你真的很崇拜他,你心目中的那个布拉舍韦尔?”

“I? I detest him,” replied Favourite in the same tone, seizing her fork again. “He is avaricious. —
“我?我讨厌他,” 芬维特以相同的口气回答,再次拿起叉子。”他很贪婪。 —

I love the little fellow opposite me in my house. He is very nice, that young man; do you know him? —
“我喜欢我家对面那个小家伙。他很好,你认识他吗? —

One can see that he is an actor by profession. I love actors. —
“他的职业是演员,这一点可以看得出来。我喜欢演员。 —

As soon as he comes in, his mother says to him: `Ah! mon Dieu! My peace of mind is gone. —
“他一进来,他妈妈就对他说:’啊!我的心情被搅乱了。 —

There he goes with his shouting. But, my dear, you are splitting my head!’ —
“他又要开始大声叫了。但是,亲爱的,你把我的头撞破了!’ —

So he goes up to rat-ridden garrets, to black holes, as high as he can mount, and there he sets to singing, declaiming, how do I know what? —
“所以他上楼到老鼠窝、到黑洞,尽可能高,然后开始唱歌,说话,我都不知道。 —

so that he can be heard down stairs! He earns twenty sous a day at an attorney’s by penning quibbles. —
“以至于楼下都能听到他的声音!他每天在律师事务所写法律条文挣二十苏。 —

He is the son of a former precentor of Saint-Jacques-du-Haut-Pas. Ah! he is very nice. —
“他是圣雅克高桥前圣歌班长的儿子。啊!他很好。 —

He idolizes me so, that one day when he saw me making batter for some pancakes, he said to me: —
“他对我崇拜得如此之深,有一天看到我在做面糊准备煎饼时,他对我说: —

`Mamselle, make your gloves into fritters, and I will eat them.’ —
“‘小姐,把你的手套做成油炸食品,我来吃。’ —

It is only artists who can say such things as that. Ah! he is very nice. —
“只有艺术家才会说出这样的话。啊!他很好。 —

I am in a fair way to go out of my head over that little fellow. Never mind; —
“我对那个小家伙真的要发疯了。别管了; —

I tell Blachevelle that I adore him–how I lie! —
“我告诉布拉舍韦尔我爱上了他–我说谎了! —

Hey! How I do lie!”
“嘿!我真的在撒谎!”

Favourite paused, and then went on:–
最喜欢停顿了,然后继续说:–

“I am sad, you see, Dahlia. It has done nothing but rain all summer; the wind irritates me; —
“你看,达利亚,我很伤心。整个夏天都在下雨;风让我烦恼; —

the wind does not abate. Blachevelle is very stingy; there are hardly any green peas in the market; —
风并没有减弱。布拉什维勒很吝啬;市场上几乎没有青豆; —

one does not know what to eat. I have the spleen, as the English say, butter is so dear! —
人不知该吃些什么。我感到郁闷,就像英国人说的那样,黄油实在太贵了! —

and then you see it is horrible, here we are dining in a room with a bed in it, and that disgusts me with life.”
而且你看,这很可怕,我们在一个有床的房间里用餐,这让我对生活感到厌恶。”