One morning M. Madeleine was in his study, occupied in arranging in advance some pressing matters connected with the mayor’s office, in case he should decide to take
有一天早晨,马德林先生正在他的书房里忙着提前安排与市长办公室有关的一些紧急事务,以防他决定去蒙特费尔。

the trip to Montfermeil, when he was informed that Police Inspector Javert was desirous of speaking with him. —
旅行,当他被告知警察督察雅文渴望与他交谈时。 —

Madeleine could not refrain from a disagreeable impression
马德林听到这个名字时,无法抑制出现不愉快的印象。

on hearing this name. Javert had avoided him more than ever since the affair of the police-station, and M. Madeleine had not seen him.
在警察局的事务之后,雅文一直更加避开他,马德林先生也没有见过他。

“Admit him,” he said.
“让他进来,”他说。

Javert entered.
雅文进来了。

M. Madeleine had retained his seat near the fire, pen in hand, his eyes fixed on the docket which he was turning over and annotating, and which contained the trials of
马德林先生坐在火炉旁,手里拿着笔,眼睛盯着他正在翻阅并注释的文件夹,里面记录了对高速公路委员会违反警察法规的审判。

the commission on highways for the infraction of police regulations. —
他没有为雅文的事而打扰自己。 —

He did not disturb himself on Javert’s account. —
想到可怜的芳汀,他觉得冷漠是合适的。 —

He could not help thinking of poor Fantine, and it
雅文向背对着他的市长恭敬地行礼。

suited him to be glacial in his manner.
市长没有看他,而是继续注释这个文件夹。

Javert bestowed a respectful salute on the mayor, whose back was turned to him. —
雅文走进书房两三步,停下来,没有打破沉默。 —

The mayor did not look at him, but went on annotating this docket.
如果有任何熟悉雅文并对这个在文明的服务中是一只野兽进行了长时间研究的相面学家,这种奇特的复合体。

Javert advanced two or three paces into the study, and halted, without breaking the silence.
他这种敬业的尊重使他在这个专制者面前显得十分可怕。

If any physiognomist who had been familiar with Javert, and who had made a lengthy study of this savage in the service of civilization, this singular composite of the
这个在文明中为野兽服务的奇特复合体,那么他一定会从市长面对他的背影和这个冰冷的所作所为中,看出一些令人惊异的东西。

Roman, the Spartan, the monk, and the corporal, this spy who was incapable of a lie, this unspotted police agent–if any physiognomist had known his secret and long-
罗曼,斯巴达人,修士,和下士,这个间谍不会说谎的人,这位廉洁的警察–如果任何面相学家知道他对马德琳恶感已久,他与市长关于芳汀的冲突,如果在那一刻审视雅维尔,他会对自己说,“发生了什么事?”

cherished aversion for M. Madeleine, his conflict with the mayor on the subject of Fantine, and had examined Javert at that moment, he would have said to himself, “What
熟悉雅维尔那清晰、正直、真诚、诚实、严肃而残酷的良知的任何人,都会明白雅维尔刚刚经历了

has taken place?” It was evident to any one acquainted with that clear, upright, sincere, honest, austere, and ferocious conscience, that Javert had but just gone
发生了什么事。

through some great interior struggle. Javert had nothing in his soul which he had not also in his countenance. —
透过一场巨大的内心挣扎。贾维尔的灵魂里没有任何东西不在他的面容中显现出来。 —

Like violent people in general, he was subject to abrupt
像一般暴力的人一样,他的观点也容易突然改变。

changes of opinion. His physiognomy had never been more peculiar and startling. —
他的面容从未如此奇特和惊人。 —

On entering he bowed to M. Madeleine with a look in which there was neither rancor,
进门时,他向马德莱娜先生鞠躬,眼神中既没有怨恨,也没有愤怒或不信任;

anger, nor distrust; he halted a few paces in the rear of the mayor’s arm-chair, and there he stood, perfectly erect, in an attitude almost of discipline, with the
他停在市长扶手椅后几步远的地方,站得笔挺,近乎军礼的姿态,带着冷漠、率直的粗犷,像一个从未柔和、时刻耐心的人;

cold, ingenuous roughness of a man who has never been gentle and who has always been patient; —
他一言未发,一动不动地等待,表现出真正的谦卑和平静的顺从,帽子在手,眼睛朝下,一种介于士兵在长官面前的表情和 —

he waited without uttering a word, without making a movement, in genuine
他的表情既严肃又平静,保持着冷峻的态度,带着真诚的坚忍,在冷静中表达半分半分的

humility and tranquil resignation, calm, serious, hat in hand, with eyes cast down, and an expression which was half-way between that of a soldier in the presence of
军事纪律气息;待在那里,举止得体,严肃认真,帽子在手,眼睛朝下,表情是谦卑的,几乎像是在服从。

his officer and a criminal in the presence of his judge, until it should please the mayor to turn round. —
他和一名罪犯以及他的法官在场,直到市长转过身来为止。 —

All the sentiments as well as all the memories which one might
所有的情感和记忆,以及可能归因于他的一切,都消失了。

have attributed to him had disappeared. That face, as impenetrable and simple as granite, no longer bore any trace of anything but a melancholy depression. His whole
他那张脸,像花岗岩一样不可渗透和简单,再也没有任何痕迹,除了一种忧郁沮丧。他整个人透露着谦卑、坚定和难以言表的勇敢绝望。

person breathed lowliness and firmness and an indescribable courageous despondency.
最后,市长放下笔,转过半个身子。

At last the mayor laid down his pen and turned half round.
“嗯!怎么了?怎么了,雅尔维!”

“Well! What is it? What is the matter, Javert?”
雅尔维沉默了一会儿,仿佛在整理思绪,然后提高了声音,带着一种悲伤的庄严,但并不排斥简单。

Javert remained silent for an instant as though collecting his ideas, then raised his voice with a sort of sad solemnity, which did not, however, preclude simplicity.
“好吧!怎么了?雅尔维?”

“This is the matter, Mr. Mayor; a culpable act has been committed.”
“这是问题,市长先生; 一个有罪的行为已经发生了。”

“What act?”
“什么行为?”

“An inferior agent of the authorities has failed in respect, and in the gravest manner, towards a magistrate. —
“当局的下属代理在尊重方面严重地对待一个法官失职了。” —

I have come to bring the fact to your knowledge, as it is
我来将这个事实带给你的知识,因为这是我的职责。

my duty to do.”
“谁是执行者?” 马德林问道。

“Who is the agent?” asked M. Madeleine.
“The agent” 执行者是谁?” 马德林问道。

“I,” said Javert. “You?” “I.”
“我,“贾维尔说。 “你?” “我.”

“And who is the magistrate who has reason to complain of the agent?”
“那位官员有理由投诉警长是谁?”

“You, Mr. Mayor.”
“是您,梅尔市长先生。”

M. Madeleine sat erect in his arm-chair. Javert went on, with a severe air and his eyes still cast down.
梅尔尼先生坐直了身子,贾维尔仍然带着严肃的神情,目光望向下方。

“Mr. Mayor, I have come to request you to instigate the authorities to dismiss me.”
“市长先生,我来请求您督促当局辞退我。”

M. Madeleine opened his mouth in amazement. Javert interrupted him:–
梅尔尼先生惊讶地张开了嘴。贾维尔打断了他的话:

“You will say that I might have handed in my resignation, but that does not suffice. —
“您可能会说我本可以递交辞呈,但那还不够。” —

Handing in one’s resignation is honorable. —
辞职是光荣的。 —

I have failed in my duty; I ought to be
我没有尽到责任;我应该受到惩罚;我必须被解雇。

punished; I must be turned out.”
“被解雇。”

And after a pause he added:–
然后停顿片刻,他补充道:–

“Mr. Mayor, you were severe with me the other day, and unjustly. Be so to-day, with justice.”
“市长先生,你前几天对我很严厉,而且不公正。今天也要公正地对待我。”

“Come, now! Why?” exclaimed M. Madeleine. “What nonsense is this? What is the meaning of this? —
“来吧!为什么呢?”梅德林先生惊叫道。“这是什么胡说八道?这是什么意思? —

What culpable act have you been guilty of towards me? —
你对我做了什么有罪的事? —

What have you done
你对我做了什么

to me? What are your wrongs with regard to me? You accuse yourself; you wish to be superseded–”
对我来说是什么错?你在我这里犯了什么错?

“Turned out,” said Javert.
“被解雇了,”雅维尔说。

“Turned out; so it be, then. That is well. I do not understand.”
“被解雇了;那就这样吧。这很好。我不理解。”

“You shall understand, Mr. Mayor.”
“你会明白的,市长先生。”

Javert sighed from the very bottom of his chest, and resumed, still coldly and sadly:–
雅维尔从胸腔的最底部叹了口气,然后还是冷冷地、悲伤地继续说道:–

“Mr. Mayor, six weeks ago, in consequence of the scene over that woman, I was furious, and I informed against you.”
“市长先生,六周前,因为那个女人发生的那场场面,我勃然大怒,并举报了你。”

“Informed against me!”
“举报了我!”

“At the Prefecture of Police in Paris.”
在巴黎的警察总局。

M. Madeleine, who was not in the habit of laughing much oftener than Javert himself, burst out laughing now:–
梅德林先生平时很少笑,比贾维尔本人笑得更少,但此刻他突然哈哈大笑起来。

“As a mayor who had encroached on the province of the police?”
“作为一个侵犯了警察领域的市长?”

“As an ex-convict.”
“作为一个前囚犯。”

The mayor turned livid.
市长脸色苍白。

Javert, who had not raised his eyes, went on:–
贾维尔始终未抬起目光,继续说道:

“I thought it was so. I had had an idea for a long time; a resemblance; —
“我有这个想法已经很久了;有一种相似; —

inquiries which you had caused to be made at Faverolles; —
在法夫罗勒那里你引起的调查;你的腰力;与老福什尔旺的冒险;你的射手技巧;你稍微瘸的腿; —

the strength of your loins; the
–我几乎不知还有什么,–荒谬!但无论如何,我把你认作某个叫让·瓦尔烈的人。”

adventure with old Fauchelevant; your skill in marksmanship; your leg, which you drag a little; —
“某个–你说的名字是什么?” —

– I hardly know what all,–absurdities! But, at all events, I took you
“让·瓦尔烈。他是我二十年前在土伦当囚犯副警的时候常见到的一个囚犯。

for a certain Jean Valjean.”
离开了奴役,这个让

“A certain–What did you say the name was?”
“这个–你说的名字是什么?”

“Jean Valjean. He was a convict whom I was in the habit of seeing twenty years ago, when I was adjutant-guard of convicts at Toulon. —
“让·瓦尔烈。他是我二十年前在土伦当囚犯副警的时候常见到的一个囚犯。 —

On leaving the galleys, this Jean
On leaving the galleys, this JeanValjean就是他。”

Valjean, as it appears, robbed a bishop; then he committed another theft, accompanied with violence, on a public highway on the person of a little Savoyard. He
瓦尔热安,似乎是抢了一位主教;然后又在公共道路上对一个萨沃伊亚德小孩实施了另一起伴有暴力的盗窃。

disappeared eight years ago, no one knows how, and he has been sought, I fancied. —
八年前,他怎么消失的,谁也不知道,我想一直在寻找他。 —

In short, I did this thing! Wrath impelled me; —
总而言之,这件事我做了!愤怒驱使我; —

I denounced you at the Prefecture!”
我在总督衙门举报了你!

M. Madeleine, who had taken up the docket again several moments before this, resumed with an air of perfect indifference:–
马德兰先生几分钟前拿起案卷,又以完全冷漠的表情继续:–

“And what reply did you receive?”
你得到什么回答?

“That I was mad.”
说我发疯。

“Well?”
那么?

“Well, they were right.”
嗯,他们说的对。

“It is lucky that you recognize the fact.”
你能认识到这一点真是幸运。

“I am forced to do so, since the real Jean Valjean has been found.”
我被迫这样做,因为真正的让·瓦尔热安已经被找到了。

The sheet of paper which M. Madeleine was holding dropped from his hand; —
马德兰手里拿着的纸张掉在地上; —

he raised his head, gazed fixedly at Javert, and said with his indescribable accent:–
他抬起头,凝视着雅维尔,并用他那难以描述的口音说:–

“Ah!”
啊!

Javert continued:–
雅维尔继续说:–

“This is the way it is, Mr. Mayor. It seems that there was in the neighborhood near Ailly-le-Haut-Clocher an old fellow who was called Father Champmathieu. He was a
“事情就是这样,市长先生。在爱利勒奥-奥克洛舍附近的街区里有个叫香普马修父亲的老家伙。他真是个可怜的家伙。

very wretched creature. No one paid any attention to him. —
没有人关心他。 —

No one knows what such people subsist on. —
没人知道这种人靠什么过活。” —

Lately, last autumn, Father Champmathieu was arrested for the theft
最近,去年秋天,张马西厄父亲因偷窃被捕

of some cider apples from–Well, no matter, a theft had been committed, a wall scaled, branches of trees broken. —
一些苹果酒被偷了–不过没关系,偷窃事件发生了,有墙被翻越,树枝被折断。 —

My Champmathieu was arrested. He still had the branch
我的张马西厄被捕了。他手里还拿着苹果树的树枝。

of apple-tree in his hand. The scamp is locked up. —
这个淘气鬼被关起来了。 —

Up to this point it was merely an affair of a misdemeanor. —
到目前为止,这只是一桩轻罪。 —

But here is where Providence intervened.
但是这就是上苍干预的地方。

“The jail being in a bad condition, the examining magistrate finds it convenient to transfer Champmathieu to Arras, where the departmental prison is situated. In this
“监狱状况不佳,审讯法官觉得将张马西厄转移到亚拉斯更方便,那里有部门监狱。在这个portuny.

prison at Arras there is an ex-convict named Brevet, who is detained for I know not what, and who has been appointed turnkey of the house, because of good behavior. Mr.
在阿拉斯监狱,有一个名叫布雷维的前囚犯,他因为表现良好被任命为看守,并被关押在这里,因为我不知道发生了什么。

Mayor, no sooner had Champmathieu arrived than Brevet exclaims: `Eh! Why, I know that man! —
市长先生,正当尚马修到达时,布雷维惊叫道:咦!为什么,我认识那个人! —

He is a fagot! [4] Take a good look at me, my good man! You are Jean
他是一个被定罪的人!仔细看看我,我的好人!你是让·Jean。

Valjean!’ Jean Valjean! who's Jean Valjean?' Champmathieu feigns astonishment. --- <span><tang1> "瓦尔让!让·瓦尔让!谁是让·瓦尔让?’香马修假装惊讶。 —

Don't play the innocent dodge,' says Brevet. --- <span><tang1>‘不要玩无辜的把戏,’勒维说。 —

You are Jean Valjean! You have been in <span><tang1>‘你就是让·瓦尔让!你曾经在图伦监狱,那是二十年前;我们曾在一起。’

the galleys of Toulon; it was twenty years ago; we were there together.’ —
香马修否认了。天呐!你懂的。 —

Champmathieu denies it. Parbleu! You understand. —
案件得到调查。他们发现了这个事实: —

The case is investigated. The thing was well
对我来说,这件事情被充分讨论了。这就是他们发现的:

ventilated for me. This is what they discovered: —
香马修是否认。天啊!你明白。” —

This Champmathieu had been, thirty years ago, a pruner of trees in various localities, notably at Faverolles. There all
这个尚皮麦瑞先生在三十年前曾经是一名修剪树木的工人,在不同的地方做过,尤其是在法夫勒。

trace of him was lost. A long time afterwards he was seen again in Auvergne; —
在此之后很长一段时间,一直没有他的踪迹。后来人们又在奥弗润看到了他; —

then in Paris, where he is said to have been a wheelwright, and to have had a daughter, who
然后在巴黎,据说他是个车轮制造工人,并且有一个女儿。

was a laundress; but that has not been proved. —
她是一名洗衣女;但这一点尚未被证明。 —

Now, before going to the galleys for theft, what was Jean Valjean? —
现在,在因偷窃而被送上了劳改营之前,让·瓦尔简是什么人? —

A pruner of trees. Where? At Faverolles. Another fact.
他是一名修剪树木的工人。在哪里?在法弗勒。这是另一个事实。

This Valjean’s Christian name was Jean, and his mother’s surname was Mathieu. —
这位瓦尔简的名字是让,他母亲的姓氏是马修。 —

What more natural to suppose than that, on emerging from the galleys, he should have taken
想象一下,从劳改营出来之后,他应该会以母亲的名字来隐瞒自己,自称让·马修。

his mother’s name for the purpose of concealing himself, and have called himself Jean Mathieu? —
他去了奥弗润。当地的发音将让变成了尚——他是… —

He goes to Auvergne. The local pronunciation turns Jean into Chan–he is
一个被莫利耶尔警长抓获的人。

called Chan Mathieu. Our man offers no opposition, and behold him transformed into Champmathieu. —
一个叫作查恩·马修的人。我们的男子没有任何反抗,看他变成了尚马修。 —

You follow me, do you not? Inquiries were made at Faverolles. The
你跟上我了,是吗?在法弗勒进行了调查。

family of Jean Valjean is no longer there. It is not known where they have gone. —
让·瓦尔让的家人不再在那里。不知道他们去了哪里。 —

You know that among those classes a family often disappears. —
你知道在这些阶层中,一家人经常会突然消失。 —

Search was made, and
进行了搜索,

nothing was found. When such people are not mud, they are dust. —
什么都没找到。当这样的人不是泥,他们就是尘。 —

And then, as the beginning of the story dates thirty years back, there is no longer any one at
再加上,故事的开头可以追溯到三十年前,那时再也没有人了。

Faverolles who knew Jean Valjean. Inquiries were made at Toulon. —
调查了在图伦认识让·瓦尔让的法维洛尔。 —

Besides Brevet, there are only two convicts in existence who have seen Jean Valjean; they are
除了布雷维特以外,只有两个囚犯见过让·瓦尔热;他们是科克帕伊和谢尼尔迪厄,被判终身监禁。

Cochepaille and Chenildieu, and are sentenced for life. —
他们被从劳改营中带出来,与假冒的尚马修对质。 —

They are taken from the galleys and confronted with the pretended Champmathieu. —
他们毫不犹豫;对他们来说,他就是让·瓦尔热,就像对布雷维特一样。 —

They do not hesitate; he is Jean
他们已经确认,他就是让·瓦尔热。年龄相同,他五十四岁,身高相同,气质相似,是同一个人;

Valjean for them as well as for Brevet. The same age,–he is fifty-four,– the same height, the same air, the same man; —
总之,就是他。就在这个时刻,我将我的告发转交给了巴黎的警察局。他们告诉我,我已经丧失理智,让·瓦尔热在阿拉斯,被控制在 —

in short, it is he. It was precisely at this
那里。

moment that I forwarded my denunciation to the Prefecture in Paris. I was told that I had lost my reason, and that Jean Valjean is at Arras, in the power of the
在里面。

authorities. You can imagine whether this surprised me, when I thought that I had that same Jean Valjean here. —
当我想到我在这里也有同样的让·瓦尔简的时候,你可以想象这让我感到惊讶。 —

I write to the examining judge; he sends for me;
我写给审判法官;他会叫我来;

Champmathieu is conducted to me–”
尚·马太被带到我这里–”

[4] An ex-convict.
一个前囚犯。

“Well?” interposed M. Madeleine.
“嗯?”梅德琳先生插话道。

Javert replied, his face incorruptible, and as melancholy as ever:–
雅维尔回答说,他的脸不可腐蚀,依然忧郁:–

“Mr. Mayor, the truth is the truth. I am sorry; —
“市长先生,事实就是事实。我很抱歉; —

but that man is Jean Valjean. I recognized him also.”
但那个人就是让·瓦尔简。我也认出了他。”

M. Madeleine resumed in, a very low voice:–
梅德琳先生低声说:–

“You are sure?”
“你确定?”

Javert began to laugh, with that mournful laugh which comes from profound conviction.
雅维尔开始笑起来,带着那种来自深深的信念的悲伤笑声。

“O! Sure!”
“噢!确定!”

He stood there thoughtfully for a moment, mechanically taking pinches of powdered wood for blotting ink from the wooden bowl which stood on the table, and he added:–
他站在那里思考片刻,机械地从桌子上的木钵里取着用来擦墨水的木粉,接着他补充说:–

“And even now that I have seen the real Jean Valjean, I do not see how I could have thought otherwise. —
“甚至现在我已经见到真正的让·瓦尔简,我也不明白自己怎么能以为相反。 —

I beg your pardon, Mr. Mayor.”
市长先生,请您原谅我。”

Javert, as he addressed these grave and supplicating words to the man, who six weeks before had humiliated him in the presence of the whole station-house, and bade him
当贾维尔向那个六周前在全警局面前羞辱了他的人发出这严肃而恳求的话语时,吩咐他“离开这个房间”的时候,这位傲慢的贾维尔自然流露出了简朴和尊严–而马德兰先生不假思索,对他的祈求只回答了突然的问题:–

“leave the room,”–Javert, that haughty man, was unconsciously full of simplicity and dignity,–M. Madeleine made no other reply to his prayer than the abrupt
这是 M.Madeleine 对那位龙哥严肃并恳求的话做出的回答。这位龙哥就是六周前羞辱了他,在整个警局之中,由他命令离开议事厅的那位龙哥,因此,贾维尔这位骄傲的人并不自觉地满怀质朴和品格。

question:–
问题:–

“And what does this man say?”
“这个人说了什么?”

“Ah! Indeed, Mr. Mayor, it’s a bad business. —
“啊!确实,市长先生,这是一件糟糕的事情。” —

If he is Jean Valjean, he has his previous conviction against him. —
“如果他真是让·瓦尔热安,他的前科对他不利。” —

To climb a wall, to break a branch, to purloin apples,
“爬墙,打抢,偷苹果,对一个孩子来说是恶作剧;对一个成年人来说是小错;对一个前科犯来说是罪行。”

is a mischievous trick in a child; for a man it is a misdemeanor; for a convict it is a crime. —
“抢劫和入室行窃——这些都有记录。” —

Robbing and housebreaking–it is all there. —
“不再是问题交给改造警察处理了;这是一桩要交给陪审法庭审理的事情。” —

It is no longer a question of
“不再只是几天的监禁问题;这是终身苦役的问题。再者,还有关于那个小萨瓦尔男孩的事,我希望他会回来。该死!问题里有很多值得争议的地方,是不是?”

correctional police; it is a matter for the Court of Assizes. —
“是的,对除了让·瓦尔热安以外的任何人来说。但让·瓦尔热安是一个狡猾的人。这就是我认出他的方式。” —

It is no longer a matter of a few days in prison; —
“任何其他人都会感觉到他处境危险;他会挣扎,呼喊——” —

it is the galleys for life. And then, there is the
“拘留警察局不再是针对这样的事情了;这是终身苦役。此外,那个萨瓦尔小男孩的事,我希望他会回来。该死的!在这件事情里有很多争议,不是吗?”

affair with the little Savoyard, who will return, I hope. The deuce! —
“是的,对任何人来说都是,但对让·瓦尔热安来说不是。但让·瓦尔热安是一个狡猾的家伙。这就是我认出他的方式。“ —

there is plenty to dispute in the matter, is there not? —
“任何其他人都会意识到情况对自己不利;他会挣扎,呼喊——” —

Yes, for any one but Jean Valjean. But Jean
“是的,对任何人来说都是,但对让·瓦尔热安来说不是。但让·瓦尔热安是一个狡猾的人。这就是我认出他的方式。“

Valjean is a sly dog. That is the way I recognized him. —
“是的,对任何人来说都是,但对让·瓦尔热安来说不是。但让·瓦尔热安是一个狡猾的家伙。这就是我认出他的方式。“ —

Any other man would have felt that things were getting hot for him; he would struggle, he would cry out–the
“任何其他人都会感觉到他处境危险;他会挣扎,呼喊——”

kettle sings before the fire; he would not be Jean Valjean, et cetera. —
水壶在火前唱歌;他不会是让-瓦尔热安,等等。 —

But he has not the appearance of understanding; —
但他看起来并不明白; —

he says, `I am Champmathieu, and I won’t depart
他说:“我是尚-马斯蒂厄,我不会离开。”

from that!’ He has an astonished air, he pretends to be stupid; it is far better. Oh! —
‘他看起来很惊讶,装作傻子;这样做更好。哦! —

the rogue is clever! But it makes no difference. —
这个骗子真聪明!但这并没有什么区别。 —

The proofs are there. He has been
证据确凿。有四个人认出了他;老流氓将被判处有罪。

recognized by four persons; the old scamp will be condemned. —
此案已经转交到阿拉斯的大法庭。我将去那里作证。我已经被传唤。” —

The case has been taken to the Assizes at Arras. I shall go there to give my testimony. I have been
马德莱娜先生再次转身到他的桌子前,拿起他的卷宗,安静地翻翻页,时而读书,时而写字,像一个忙碌的人。他转身

summoned.”
从新拿起他的案卷,安静地翻动着页面,读书和写字交替进行,像一个忙碌的人。他转向

M. Madeleine had turned to his desk again, and taken up his docket, and was turning over the leaves tranquilly, reading and writing by turns, like a busy man. He turned
M。马德莱娜再次转身去他的桌子,拿起他的案卷,平静地翻阅着,读和写交替进行,像一个忙碌的人。他再次转身

to Javert:–
给雅维尔:–

“That will do, Javert. In truth, all these details interest me but little. —
“雅维尔,就到此为止吧。事实上,所有这些细节对我并不很感兴趣。 —

We are wasting our time, and we have pressing business on hand. —
我们在浪费时间,手头上还有紧急的事情要办。 —

Javert, you will betake
雅维尔,你立刻去布苏皮埃太太的住处,她在圣索尔夫街的角落卖草药。

yourself at once to the house of the woman Buseaupied, who sells herbs at the corner of the Rue Saint-Saulve. —
你要告诉她,必须对车夫皮埃尔·谢内隆提起诉讼。这个人是个暴徒,几乎压到了这名妇女和她的孩子。 —

You will tell her that she must enter her complaint
她必须提起控诉。

against carter Pierre Chesnelong. The man is a brute, who came near crushing this woman and her child. —
请准确执行。” —

He must be punished. You will then go to M. Charcellay, Rue
他必须受罚。然后你会去M. Charcellay的Rue Montre-de-Champigny。

Montre-de-Champigny. He complained that there is a gutter on the adjoining house which discharges rain-water on his premises, and is undermining the foundations of his
他抱怨隔壁房子的一个排水沟排放雨水到他的房地产上,并正在侵蚀他的房屋基础。

house. After that, you will verify the infractions of police regulations which have been reported to me in the Rue Guibourg, at Widow Doris’s, and Rue du Garraud-Blanc,
之后,你将核实在Rue Guibourg的Doris寡妇家和Rue du Garraud-Blanc报告给我的违反警察法规的行为。

at Madame Renee le Bosse’s, and you will prepare documents. —
在里诺伊勒博斯夫人那里,你将准备文件。 —

But I am giving you a great deal of work. —
但我给了你很多工作。 —

Are you not to be absent? Did you not tell me that you were going
你不是要离开吗?难道你没有告诉我你要在一周或十天内去阿拉斯解决那个事情吗?

to Arras on that matter in a week or ten days?”
“比那更早,市长先生。”

“Sooner than that, Mr. Mayor.”
“那么是哪一天呢?”

“On what day, then?”
“哦,我以为我告诉市长先生案件将在明天审理,并且我将在今晚乘坐驿马车出发.”

“Why, I thought that I had said to Monsieur le Maire that the case was to be tried to-morrow, and that I am to set out by diligence to-night.”
“为什么要这样呢?”

M. Madeleine made an imperceptible movement.
梅德兰小小地动了一下。

“And how long will the case last?”
“案子要持续多久呢?”

“One day, at the most. The judgment will be pronounced to-morrow evening at latest. —
“最多一天。判决最晚明天晚上就会宣布。 —

But I shall not wait for the sentence, which is certain; —
但我不会等待那个必然的判决; —

I shall return here as soon
我的证词被接受完之后,我会立刻回到这里。”

as my deposition has been taken.”
“这太好了,”梅德兰说。

“That is well,” said M. Madeleine.
“这太好了,”梅德兰说。

And he dismissed Javert with a wave of the hand.
他挥了挥手,让雅文退下。

Javert did not withdraw.
雅文没有退下。

“Excuse me, Mr. Mayor,” said he.
“对不起,市长先生,”他说。

“What is it now?” demanded M. Madeleine.
“现在又是什么事?”马德莱恩问道。

“Mr. Mayor, there is still something of which I must remind you.”
“市长先生,我还有一件事要提醒您。”

“What is it?”
“什么事?”

“That I must be dismissed.”
“我必须被免去职务。”

M. Madeleine rose.
马德兰先生站了起来。

“Javert, you are a man of honor, and I esteem you. You exaggerate your fault. —
“让威,你是一个有荣誉感的人,我很尊敬你。你夸大了你的过错。 —

Moreover, this is an offence which concerns me. —
而且,这是一种冒犯,关系到我。 —

Javert, you deserve promotion instead of
让威,你应该晋升而不是降级。我希望你保留你的职位。”

degradation. I wish you to retain your post.”
让威以他那纯朴而又坚定的声音注视着马德兰先生,眼中透出他并不十分明智但纯粹而严格的良心,说道:

Javert gazed at M. Madeleine with his candid eyes, in whose depths his not very enlightened but pure and rigid conscience seemed visible, and said in a tranquil voice:


让威用他那单纯的眼神看着马德兰先生,他那并不十分明智但纯洁而刚毅的良心似乎显现出来,用一种平静的声音说道:

“Mr. Mayor, I cannot grant you that.”
“市长先生,我不能给你那个。”

“I repeat,” replied M. Madeleine, “that the matter concerns me.”
“我再次重申,”马德莱娜回答道,”这件事关系到我。”

But Javert, heeding his own thought only, continued:–
但雅悟特只顾自己的想法,继续说道:–

“So far as exaggeration is concerned, I am not exaggerating. This is the way I reason: —
“就夸大来说,我并没有夸大。这是我的推理方式: —

I have suspected you unjustly. That is nothing. —
我曾经不公正地怀疑你。这没什么。 —

It is our right to cherish
我们有权怀疑,尽管怀疑指向我们之上就是一种滥用。

suspicion, although suspicion directed above ourselves is an abuse. —
” —

But without proofs, in a fit of rage, with the object of wreaking my vengeance, I have denounced you
但在没有证据的情况下,我愤怒之下,为了报复你,我已经指控你

as a convict, you, a respectable man, a mayor, a magistrate! That is serious, very serious. —
一个犯人,你,一个受人尊敬的人,一名市长,一名法官! 这很严重,非常严重。 —

I have insulted authority in your person, I, an agent of the authorities! If
我在你的身上侮辱了权威,我,一个当局代表! 如果

one of my subordinates had done what I have done, I should have declared him unworthy of the service, and have expelled him. —
我的下属做了我所做的事,我会宣布他不值得效忠,并将他开除。 —

Well? Stop, Mr. Mayor; one word more. I
好了吗? 停下来,市长先生;再说一句。

have often been severe in the course of my life towards others. That is just. I have done well. —
在我的一生中,我经常对别人严厉。那是正当的。我做得对。 —

Now, if I were not severe towards myself, all the justice that I have
现在,如果我对自己不严格,我所拥有的全部正义就会变为空气。

done would become injustice. Ought I to spare myself more than others? No! What! —
done 变成了不公正。我难道应该比别人对自己更宽容吗?不!什么! —

I should be good for nothing but to chastise others, and not myself! —
我不应该成为唯一用来惩罚他人而不惩罚自己的人! —

Why, I should be a
为什么,我应该是一个

blackguard! Those who say, `That blackguard of a Javert!’ would be in the right. —
坏蛋! 那些说,“那个叛徒贼警长!”的人是对的。 —

Mr. Mayor, I do not desire that you should treat me kindly; —
市长先生,我不希望您对我友好; —

your kindness roused
你的友好曾在别人身上引起了足够的敌意。对我自己我不需要。

sufficient bad blood in me when it was directed to others. I want none of it for myself. —
我不想要那种表面上的恩惠。 —

The kindness which consists in upholding a woman of the town against a citizen,
支持妓女迎战市民、警察对抗市长、坏处对抗好处的所谓善意才是我所谓的虚伪的恩惠。

the police agent against the mayor, the man who is down against the man who is up in the world, is what I call false kindness. —
这就是我所说的虚伪的恩惠。 —

That is the sort of kindness which
这种恩惠扶危济困、帮助一意孤行的人,是虚伪的。

disorganizes society. Good God! it is very easy to be kind; the difficulty lies in being just. —
社会混乱。天啊!做善良很容易;困难在于公正。 —

Come! if you had been what I thought you, I should not have been kind to
来吧!如果你是我想像的那样,我就不会对你慈善。

you, not I! You would have seen! Mr. Mayor, I must treat myself as I would treat any other man. —
不是我!你会明白的!市长先生,我必须对待自己如同对待其他任何人一样。 —

When I have subdued malefactors, when I have proceeded with vigor
当我制服了恶棍,当我充满活力地采取行动

against rascals, I have often said to myself, If you flinch, if I ever catch you in fault, you may rest at your ease!' --- <span><tang1> 对付流氓时,我常对自己说:如果你退缩,如果我发现你犯错,你就可以安心休息!’ —

I have flinched, I have caught myself in a
我退缩了,我发现自己犯错了。

fault. So much the worse! Come, discharged, cashiered, expelled! That is well. I have arms. —
那好吧!走吧,解雇、革职、开除!那就好。我有武器。 —

I will till the soil; it makes no difference to me. —
我会耕种土地;这对我无影响。 —

Mr. Mayor, the good of
市长先生,事务的利益需要一个榜样。我只是要求解雇贾维尔督察。

the service demands an example. I simply require the discharge of Inspector Javert.”
这是必须的。

All this was uttered in a proud, humble, despairing, yet convinced tone, which lent indescribable grandeur to this singular, honest man.
所有这些都是以一种自豪、谦卑、绝望却又深信不疑的语调说出的,这让这个独特诚实的人增添了难以言喻的庄严。

“We shall see,” said M. Madeleine.
“我们拭目以待,”马德莲先生说。

And he offered him his hand.
他伸出手去。

Javert recoiled, and said in a wild voice:–
让维尔退后了一步,用狂野的声音说道:–

“Excuse me, Mr. Mayor, but this must not be. A mayor does not offer his hand to a police spy.”
“请原谅,市长先生,但这是不应该的。市长不应该向警察间谍伸出手。”

He added between his teeth:–
他嘴里又加了一句:–

“A police spy, yes; from the moment when I have misused the police. I am no more than a police spy.”
“警察间谍,没错;从我滥用警察开始。我不过是一个警察间谍。”

Then he bowed profoundly, and directed his steps towards the door.
然后他深深鞠了一躬,转身向门口走去。

There he wheeled round, and with eyes still downcast:–
在那里他转过身,眼睛仍然低垂着:–

“Mr. Mayor,” he said, “I shall continue to serve until I am superseded.”
“市长先生,”他说,“在我被取代之前,我将继续效劳。”

He withdrew. M. Madeleine remained thoughtfully listening to the firm, sure step, which died away on the pavement of the corridor.
他离开了。马德莱因先生仍然沉思着,听着那坚定而确切的脚步声,渐渐在走廊的地板上消失。