The Anonymous LettersDo not give dalliance Too much the rein; —
匿名信 不要给予太多的尊重; —

the strongest oaths arestraw To the fire i’the blood.
最强烈的誓言在血液中只是稻草;

The TempestAs they left the drawing-room about midnight, Julien found time tosay to his mistress: —
暴风雨 结束了画室的气氛,约在午夜时分,朱利安找到了机会对他的情人说: —

‘Do not let us meet tonight, your husband has suspicions; —
“今晚不要见面,你丈夫有疑虑; —

I would swear that that long letter he was reading with such displeasure is an anonymous one.’
我可以发誓他正在厌恶地阅读那封长信是一封匿名信。”

Fortunately, Julien locked himself into his room. —
幸运的是,朱利安把自己锁在自己的房间里。 —

Madame de Renalconceived the mad idea that this warning was simply a pretext for notcoming to see her. —
雷南冈夫人产生了一个疯狂的想法,认为这个警告只是一个借口,不会来见她。 —

She lost her head absolutely, and at the usual hourcame to his door. —
她完全失去理智,如往常一样,在正常时间来到他的门口。 —

Julien, hearing a sound in the corridor, instantly blewout his lamp. —
朱利安听到走廊里的声音,立刻吹灭了灯。 —

Someone was attempting to open his door; —
有人试图打开他的门; —

was it Madamede Renal, was it a jealous husband?
是黎内夫人吗,是个嫉妒的丈夫吗?

Early the next morning, the cook, who took an interest in Julien,brought him a book on the cover of which he read these words written inItalian: —
第二天一大早,对朱利安有好感的厨师给他拿来一本书,封面上写着意大利文: —

Guardate alia pagina 130.
看看第130页。

  Julien shuddered at the imprudence, turned to page one hundred andthirty and found fastened to it with a pin the following letter written inhaste, bedewed with tears, and without the least attempt at spelling.
朱利安对这种鲁莽感到震惊,翻到第130页,发现用别针别着下面匆忙写的、洒满眼泪、拼写全无的信。

Ordinarily Madame de Renal spelt quite well; —
黎内夫人通常拼写很好; —

he was moved by this detail and began to forget the frightful imprudence.
这细节让他感动,开始忘记了那令人害怕的鲁莽行为。

‘So you would not let me in tonight? —
‘所以你今晚不让我进去? —

There are moments when I feelthat I have never seen into the depths of your heart. —
有时候我感觉我从未看透你的内心深处。 —

Your look frightensme. I am afraid of you. Great God! —
你的眼神让我害怕。我害怕你。天呐! —

Can it be, you have never loved me?
难道你从未爱过我吗?

In that case, my husband can discover our love, and shut me up inlifelong imprisonment, in the country, apart from my children. —
如此一来,我丈夫可能会发现我们的爱情,把我关在乡下终身监禁,远离我的孩子。 —

PerhapsGod wills it so. I shall soon die; —
也许是上帝的意愿。我很快就会死亡; —

but you will be a monster.
但你将会成为一个怪物。

‘Do you not love me? Are you tired of my follies, of my remorse, impious one? —
“你是不是不爱我了?你是不是厌倦了我的愚蠢,我的后悔,亵渎者? —

Do you wish to ruin me? I give you an easy method. —
你是不是想毁了我?我给你一个简单的方法。 —

Go, showthis letter to all Verrieres, or rather show it to M. Valenod alone. —
去,把这封信给所有的韦里耶,或者更确切地说,只给瓦朗诺先生看。 —

Tell himthat I love you; but no, utter no such blasphemy; —
告诉他我爱你;但不,不要说这样的亵渎的话; —

tell him that I adoreyou, that life only began for me on the day when I first saw you; —
告诉他我崇拜你,对我而言,只有在我第一次见到你的那一天,生命才开始; —

that inthe wildest moments of my girlhood, I had never even dreamed of thehappiness that I owe to you; —
在我少女时代最狂热的时刻,我连梦想过得到你带给我的幸福; —

that I have sacrificed my life to you, that Iam sacrificing my soul to you. —
我已经把我的生命献给了你,正在将我的灵魂献给你。 —

You know that I am sacrificing far more.
你知道我正在牺牲更多。

‘But what does he know of sacrifices, that man? —
“但那个男人知道什么是牺牲吗? —

Tell him, tell him, tomake him angry, that I defy all evil-speakers, and that there is but onemisfortune in the world for me, that of beholding a change in the oneman who holds me to life. —
告诉他,告诉他,为了让他愤怒,我藐视所有的诽谤者,对我来说,世界上只有一个不幸,那就是看到一个让我抓住生机的人发生变化。 —

What a blessing for me to lose it, to offer it insacrifice, and to fear no longer for my children!
对我来说失去它,把它作为牺牲献上,不再为我的孩子担心,这是多么的幸运!

  ’Doubt not, dear friend, if there be an anonymous letter, it comes fromthat odious being who, for the last six years, has pursued me with hisloud voice, with a list of the jumps his horse has taken, with his fatuityand with the endless enumeration of all his advantages.
‘亲爱的朋友,不要怀疑,如果有匿名信,那一定是那个可恶的家伙,过去六年里,用他高声的声音,他的马跳的清单,他的自负和无尽的列举他的所有优点来追逐我。

‘Is there an anonymous letter? Wicked one, that is what I wished todiscuss with you; —
‘有匿名信吗?邪恶者,我就是想和你讨论这个问题; —

but no, you were right. Clasping you in my arms, forthe last time perhaps, I could never have discussed the matter calmly, asI do when I am alone. —
但不,你是对的。拥抱着你,也许是最后一次,我永远无法像我一个人时那样冷静地讨论这个问题。’ —

From this moment our happiness will not be soeasily secured. Will that be an annoyance to you? —
从此刻起,我们的幸福不会那么容易获得。这会让你感到烦恼吗? —

Yes, on the days whenyou have not received some amusing book from M. Fouque. The sacrificeis made; —
是的,在你没有收到来自福克先生的一些有趣书籍的日子里。这是一种牺牲; —

tomorrow, whether there be an anonymous letter or not, I shalltell my husband that I have received an anonymous letter, that he mustinstantly offer you a large sum to accept another post, find some decentpretext, and send you back without delay to your family.
明天,无论是否有匿名信,我都会告诉我的丈夫,我收到了一封匿名信,他必须立即向你提供一大笔钱来接受另一份职位,找到一些体面的借口,立即将你送回家人那里。

‘Alas, dear friend, we are going to be parted for a fortnight, perhaps amonth! —
“啊,亲爱的朋友,我们将会分开一个或一个月! —

But there, I do you justice, you will suffer as much as I. Still, thisis the only way to counteract the effect of this anonymous letter; —
但是,我承认,你会和我一样受苦。不过,这是抵消这封匿名信的唯一办法; —

it is notthe first that my husband has received, and on my account too. Alas!
这不是我丈夫收到的第一封信了,而且还是关于我。唉!

  How I have laughed at them!
我是如何嘲笑它们!

‘The whole purpose of my scheme is to make my husband think thatthe letter comes from M. Valenod; —
“我的计划的整个目的是让我丈夫认为这封信来自瓦朗诺先生; —

I have no doubt that he is its author. Ifyou leave the house, do not fail to go and establish yourself at Verrieres.
我毫不怀疑他就是作者。如果你离开家,千万不要忘了前往韦里耶。

I shall contrive that my husband conceives the idea of spending a fortnight there, to prove to the fools that there is no coolness between himand myself. —
我会设计让我丈夫来个两周的假期,以向那些傻瓜证明我们之间没有冷淡。 —

Once you are at Verrieres, make friends with everyone, eventhe Liberals. I know that all the ladies will run after you.
一旦你在韦里耶,跟每个人交朋友,包括自由党人。我知道所有女士都会对你趋之若鹜。

‘Do not go and quarrel with M. Valenod, nor crop his ears, as you oncethreatened; —
“不要和瓦朗诺先生争吵,也不要像你曾经威胁的那样剪他的耳朵; —

on the contrary, show him every politeness. —
相反,要对他表示出极度的礼貌。 —

The essentialthing is that it should be known throughout Verrieres that you are goingto Valenod’s, or to some other house, for the children’s education.
最重要的是,整个韦里耶都应该知道你是去瓦朗诺家,或者去其他家,为了孩子们的教育。

‘That is what my husband will never stand. —
“这就是我丈夫永远无法容忍的。 —

Should he resign himselfto it, well, at least you will be living in Verrieres, and I shall see yousometimes. —
他是否应该接受这一切,好吧,至少你将住在韦里埃,我会有机会偶尔见到你。 —

My children, who are so fond of you, will go to see you.
我那么喜欢你的孩子们会去看你。

  Great God! I feel that I love my children more, because they love you.
天哪!我感觉我爱我的孩子们更多,因为他们爱你。

What remorse! How is all this going to end? —
悔恨啊!这一切会以何种方式结束呢? —

I am wandering … Well,you understand what you must do; —
我正游荡…嗯,你明白你该怎么做; —

be gentle, polite, never contemptuous with these vulgar personages, I implore you on my knees: —
要和这些粗俗的人温和、有礼,千万别轻蔑他们,我跪求你: —

they are tobe the arbiters of our destiny. —
他们将成为我们命运的裁判者。 —

Doubt not for a moment that my husbandin dealing with you will conform to whatever public opinion mayprescribe.
请毫不怀疑我的丈夫在与你打交道时会遵循公众意见。

‘It is you that are going to provide me with this anonymous letter; —
“是你将为我提供这封匿名信; —

armyourself with patience and a pair of scissors. Cut out of a book the wordsyou will see below; —
装备好耐心和一把剪刀。从一本书中剪下你将看到的文字; —

paste them together, with water-glue, on the sheet ofblue paper that I send you; —
用水胶把它们粘贴在我寄给你的一张蓝纸上; —

it came to me from M. Valenod. Be preparedfor a search of your room; —
这纸是我从瓦朗诺得到的。做好你的房间被搜查的准备; —

burn the pages of the book you mutilate. —
烧掉你割碎的书页。 —

Ifyou do not find the words ready made, have the patience to composethem letter by letter. —
如果你没有找到现成的文字,耐心地一个字一个字地组成它们。 —

To spare you trouble, I have cut the anonymous letter short. Alas! —
为了省去你的麻烦,我把匿名信剪短了。唉!” —

If you no longer love me, as I fear, how long mine mustseem to you!
如果你不再爱我,就像我担心的那样,那么对你来说,我的时间会显得有多长!

ANONYMOUS LETTER”MADAME,All your little goings on are known; —
匿名信“夫人,你的一切小动作都被人知道了; —

but the persons to whose interestit is to check them have been warned. —
但那些有兴趣制止它们的人已经受到警告。 —

From a lingering affection foryourself, I beg you to detach yourself entirely from the little peasant. —
出于对你的旧情,我请求你彻底与那个小农民断绝联系。 —

Ifyou have the wisdom to do this, your husband will believe that thewarning he has received was misleading, and he will be left in his error.
如果你有智慧这样做,你丈夫会相信他收到的警告是误导的,他会一直误会下去。

Bear in mind that I know your secret; tremble, unhappy woman; —
记住我知道你的秘密;不幸的妇人,你要战兢; —

henceforward you must tread a straight path, driven by me.” —
从现在开始,你必须由我引导,走直道。 —

‘As soon as you have finished pasting together the words that make upthis letter (do you recognise the Governor’s style in it? —
“当你把这封信里的文字粘好以后(你认得出长官的风格吗? —

) come out of yourroom, I shall meet you about the house.
)走出你的房间,我会在房子周围等你。

‘I shall go to the village, and return with a troubled countenance; —
‘我会去村子,然后带着一副烦恼的表情回来; —

Ishall indeed be greatly troubled. Great God! —
我确实会非常烦恼。苍天啊! —

What a risk I am running,and all because you thought you detected an anonymous letter. —
我冒着多大的风险,全都是因为你觉得发现了一封匿名信。 —

Finally,with a woebegone face, I shall give my husband this letter, which will have been handed to me by a stranger. —
最后,我会带着一副愁苦的脸给我丈夫这封信,这封信会由一个陌生人递给我。 —

As for you, go for a walk in thedirection of the woods with the children, and do not return until dinnertime.
至于你,带着孩子朝着树林散步去,并且直到晚餐时间才回来。

‘From the rocks above, you can see the tower of the dovecote. —
‘从上面的岩石上,你可以看到鸽舍的塔楼。 —

If allgoes well, I shall place a white handkerchief there; —
如果一切顺利,我将在那里放一块白色手绢; —

if not, you will seenothing.
如果不行,你将什么也看不到。

‘Ungrateful wretch, will not your heart find out some way of tellingme that you love me, before starting on this walk? —
“忘恩负义的家伙,在开始这趟旅行前,你的心难道找不到一种方式告诉我你爱我吗? —

Whatever may befallme, be certain of one thing: —
无论发生什么,有一件事情你要确信: —

I should not survive for a day a final parting.
如果我真的永别了,我一天也活不下去。

Ah! bad mother! These are two idle words that I have written, dear Julien. I do not feel them; —
唉!糟糕的母亲!这只是我写的两个空洞的词啊,亲爱的朱利安。我并不这么感觉; —

I can think only of you at this moment, I havewritten them only so as not to be blamed by you. —
此刻我只能想着你,我只是为了避免你责备才写这些。 —

Now that I find myselfbrought to the point of losing you, what use is there in pretence? —
现在我发现自己将失去你,伪装有何用? —

Yes, letmy heart seem black as night to you, but let me not lie to the man whomI adore! —
是的,让我的心在你眼中看起来黑如夜晚,但我不想对我所爱的人撒谎! —

I have been all too deceitful already in my life. —
在我的生命里,我已经欺骗得太多了。 —

Go to, I forgiveyou if you love me no longer. —
去吧,如果你不再爱我,我原谅你。 —

I have not time to read my letter through.
我没有时间重新读我的信。

It is a small thing in my eyes to pay with my life for the happy dayswhich I have spent in your arms. —
用我的生命来换取我在你怀里度过的快乐时光,这在我看来微不足道。 —

You know that they will cost me morethan life.’
你知道,那些时光对我来说比生命更重要。”