To Think Is To Be Full of SorrowThe grotesque character of everyday occurrences conceals fromone the real misery of passions.
想要思考就意味着充满了悲伤。日常发生的怪诞事件掩盖了激情的真正痛苦。

BARNAVEWhile he was replacing its ordinary furniture in the room that M. deLa Mole had occupied, Julien found a piece of stout paper, folded twiceacross. —
巴尔纳夫正在对曾被拉莫勒先生占据的房间重新摆放普通的家具时,朱利安发现了一张牢固的纸张,横折了两次。 —

He read at the foot of the first page:
他在第一页的页脚上读到了:

  To H. E., M. le Marquis de La Mole, Peer of France, Knight of the Royal Orders, etc., etc.
致法国国会议员,拉莫勒侯爵,法国骑士,等等。

  It was a petition in the rude handwriting of a cook.
这是一封厨师粗糙手写的请愿书。

Monsieur le Marquis,All my life I have held religious principles. —
侯爵大人,我一生都坚持宗教信仰原则。 —

I was in Lyons, exposed tothe bombs, at the time of the siege, in ‘93, of execrable memory. —
在’93年可憎的记忆中所发生的里昂围城期间,我曾身处暴动中。 —

I am acommunicant, I go every Sunday to mass in my parish church. —
我领圣餐,每个星期日都去教堂参加弥撒。 —

I havenever failed in my Easter duty, not even in ‘93, of execrable memory. —
甚至在’93年可憎的记忆中,我也从未违背过复活节的职责。 —

Mycook, for before the revolution I kept servants, my cook observes Friday.
我的厨师——在革命前我有仆役——过着守斋的生活。

I enjoy in Verrieres a general and I venture to say merited respect. —
我在维里埃享有一个将军,我敢说是应得的尊重。 —

I walkbeneath the dais in processions, beside the cure and the mayor. —
在游行中,我与牧师和市长并排走在主席台下。 —

I carry,on solemn occasions, a big candle bought at my own cost. —
在隆重场合,我拿着一支自费购买的大蜡烛。 —

The certificatesof all of which are in Paris at the Ministry of Finance. —
所有相关证书都在财政部在巴黎。 —

I ask Monsieur leMarquis for the Verrieres lottery office, which cannot fail to be vacantsoon in one way or another, the present holder being seriously ill, andbesides voting the wrong way at the elections; etc.
我请求侯爵大人为维里埃乐透办公室提供席位,很快必定会有空缺,现任办公室持有人病重,而且在选举中票投错了。等等。

  DE CHOLINOn the margin of this petition was an endorsement signed de Moirod,which began with the words:
在这份请愿书的边缘,有一份由德·莫伊罗德签署的认可书,开头是这样写的:

  ’I had the honour yesterday to mention the respectable person whomakes this request,’ and so forth.
‘昨天我很荣幸地提到了这位提出请求的值得尊敬的人士’等等。

   ‘And so even that imbecile Cholin shows me the way that I must follow,’ Julien said to himself.
“所以,即使那个蠢货沙龙也向我展示了我必须走的道路”,朱利安自言自语道。

A week after the visit of the King of —— to Verrieres, the chief thingto emerge from the innumerable falsehoods, foolish interpretations, absurd discussions, etc. —
在——国王访问维里埃后的一周,从无数的谎言、愚蠢的解释、荒谬的讨论等等中浮现出来的主要事情是,将一位木匠之子朱利安·索瑞尔搬进了荣誉卫队。 —

, etc., to which the King, the Bishop of Agde, theMarquis de La Mole, the ten thousand bottles of wine, the unseatedMoirod (who, in the hope of a Cross, did not set foot outside his owndoor for a whole month after his fall) were in turn subjected, was the utter indelicacy of having jockeyed into the Guard of Honour, Julien Sorel,the son of a carpenter. —
“那些日以继夜地大声呼喊平等的富有的印花布商,你应该听听对这个话题的议论。” —

You ought to have heard, on this topic, thewealthy calico printers, who, morning, noon and night, used to talkthemselves hoarse in preaching equality. —
那个傲慢的女人勒纳夫人是这一可恨事情的始作俑者。她的理由是? —

That proud woman, Madamede Renal, was the author of this abomination. Her reason? —
那位年轻的拉沃蒂尼斯修士闪着目光的眼睛和红扑扑的脸颊足以成为理由而且还远远不止。 —

The flashingeyes and pink cheeks of that young abbe Sorel were reason enough andto spare.
回到韦尔吉不久后,小斯坦尼斯拉斯·泽维尔生了病;勒纳夫人立刻为自己深感极度的悔恨。

Shortly after their return to Vergy, Stanislas Xavier, the youngest ofthe children, took fever; at once Madame de Renal was seized by themost fearful remorse. —
那是她第一次责怪自己以一种合乎逻辑的方式坠入爱河。 —

For the first time she blamed herself for falling inlove in a coherent fashion. —
她似乎奇迹般地明白了自己被卷入的可怕罪恶。 —

She seemed to understand, as though by amiracle, the appalling sin into which she had let herself be drawn. —
她虽然天生虔诚信奉宗教,但在此时此刻,她从未想到过在上帝眼中她的罪行的严重程度。 —

Although deeply religious by nature, until this moment she had neverthought of the magnitude of her crime in the eyes of God.
很久以前,在圣心修道院,她曾热烈地爱着上帝;

Long ago, at the convent of the Sacred Heart, she had loved God witha passionate love; —
她在这种困境中以相同的方式害怕祂。 —

she feared Him in the same way in this predicament.
撕裂她心灵的挣扎,因为她的恐惧中没有任何合理之处,所以愈发可怕。

The struggles that rent her heart asunder were all the more terrible inthat there was nothing reasonable in her fear. —
她的恐慌在她表达的神圣形态中变得更加可怕。 —

Julien discovered that anyrecourse to argument irritated instead of calming her; —
朱利安发现,任何争论都只会激怒她,而不是让她平静下来; —

she saw in it thelanguage of hell. However, as Julien himself was greatly attached to littleStanislas, he was more welcome to speak to her of the child’s illness:
她看到其中恶魔的语言。然而,由于朱利安本人非常喜欢小斯坦尼斯拉斯,他更受欢迎地与她谈论孩子的病情:

presently it assumed a grave character. —
不久,情况变得严重起来。 —

Then her incessant remorse deprived Madame de Renal even of the power to sleep; —
接着,她不断的良心谴责使得德勒内夫人甚至失去了入眠的能力; —

she never emergedfrom a grim silence: had she opened her mouth, it would have been toconfess her crime to God and before men.
她永远沉浸在一种可怕的沉默中:如果她开口,那将是为了向上帝和人类坦白她的罪行。

‘I beg of you,’ Julien said to her, as soon as they were alone, ‘say nothing to anyone; —
“我请求你,”朱利安对她说,当他们独处时,“不要对任何人说; —

let me be the sole confidant of your griefs. —
让我成为你悲伤的唯一知情人。” —

If you still loveme, do not speak! your words cannot cure our Stanislas of his fever.’
如果你仍然爱我,请不要说话!你的话语无法治愈我们的Stanislas的发烧。

But his attempts at consolation produced no effect; —
但是他的安慰尝试没有效果; —

he did not knowthat Madame de Renal had taken it into her head that, to appease the anger of a jealous God, she must either hate Julien or see her son die. —
他不知道Madame de Renal已经想到,为了安抚一个嫉妒的上帝的愤怒,她必须要么恨朱利安,要么看着她的儿子死去。 —

It was because she felt that she could not hate her lover that she was sounhappy.
正是因为她觉得自己无法恨她的爱人,她才如此不幸。

‘Avoid my presence,’ she said to Julien one day; —
“避开我的身边,”她有一天对朱利安说; —

‘in the name of God,leave this house: it is your presence here that is killing my son.
“以上帝的名义,离开这个房子:是你在这里的身影正在杀死我的儿子。

‘God is punishing me,’ she added in a whisper; ‘He is just; I adore Hisequity; —
”上帝在惩罚我,”她低声补充道;“他是公正的,我崇拜他的正义; —

my crime is shocking, and I was living without remorse! —
我的罪行是令人发指的,而我却毫不悔改! —

It wasthe first sign of departure from God: —
这是远离上帝的第一个迹象: —

I ought to be doubly punished.’
我应该受到双重惩罚。”

Julien was deeply touched. He was unable to see in this attitude eitherhypocrisy or exaggeration. —
朱利安深受触动。他无法在这种态度中看到虚伪或夸张。 —

‘She believes that she is killing her son by loving me, and yet the unhappy woman loves me more than her son. —
“她相信她爱我正在杀死她的儿子,然而这位不幸的女人爱我胜过她的儿子。 —

That,how can I doubt it, is the remorse that is killing her; there is true nobilityof feeling. —
这,我怎能怀疑,是折磨她的悔恨;这是真正的高尚感情。 —

But how can I have inspired such love, I, so poor, so ill-bred,so ignorant, often so rude in my manners?’
但是我如何能激起如此之爱,我,如此贫穷,如此没有教养,如此无知,而且在举止上经常如此粗鲁?”

One night the child’s condition was critical. —
一天晚上,孩子的情况非常危急。 —

About two o’clock in themorning, M. de Renal came to see him. —
大约凌晨两点,雷奈尔先生来见他。 —

The boy, burning with fever, wasextremely flushed and did not recognise his father. —
这个男孩发着高烧,脸色通红,甚至没有认出他的父亲。 —

Suddenly Madamede Renal threw herself at her husband’s feet: —
突然,雷奈尔夫人扑倒在丈夫的脚边: —

Julien saw that she was going to reveal everything and to ruin herself for ever.
朱利安看到她将要揭露一切,永远毁了自己。

  Fortunately, this strange exhibition annoyed M. de Renal.
幸运的是,这场奇怪的表演激怒了雷奈尔先生。

  ’Good night! Good night!’ he said and prepared to leave the room.
“晚安!晚安!”他说着准备离开房间。

‘No, listen to me,’ cried his wife on her knees before him, seeking tohold him back. —
“不,听我说,”他的妻子在他面前跪下,试图挽留他。 —

‘Learn the whole truth. It is I that am killing my son. —
“了解全部真相。是我在杀害我的儿子。 —

Igave him his life, and I am taking it from him. Heaven is punishing me; —
我给了他生命,我正在夺走它。天堂在惩罚我; —

in the eyes of God, I am guilty of murder. I must destroy and humblemyself; —
在上帝眼中,我有杀人之罪。我必须毁灭并谦卑自己; —

it may be that such a sacrifice will appease the Lord.’
也许这样的牺牲会平息主的怒气。”

  If M. de Renal had been a man of imagination, he would have guessedeverything.
如果雷奈尔先生是一个富有想象力的人,他本来会猜到一切的。

‘Romantic stuff,’ he exclaimed, thrusting away his wife who sought toembrace his knees. —
“这些都是浪漫主义的胡说八道,”他喊道,推开想要拥抱他的妻子。 —

‘Romantic stuff, all that! Julien, tell them to fetch thedoctor at daybreak.’
“这些都是浪漫主义的胡说八道,朱利安,告诉他们明早就请医生来。”

  And he went back to bed. Madame de Renal sank on her knees, halfunconscious, with a convulsive movement thrusting away Julien, whowas coming to her assistance.
然后他回到床上。雷奈尔夫人跌倒在膝盖上,半昏迷地将要伸手帮助她的朱利安推开。

  Julien stood watching her with amazement.
朱利安惊讶地站在一边看着她。

‘So this is adultery!’ he said to himself … ‘Can it be possible that thoserascally priests are right after all? —
“这就是通奸!”他自言自语道…“那些无耻的神父竟然是对的吗? —

That they, who commit so many sins,have the privilege of knowing the true theory of sin? How very odd!’
他们,犯了这么多罪孽,竟然有幸知道罪孽的真实理论?多么奇怪!”

For twenty minutes since M. de Renal had left the room, Julien hadseen the woman he loved, her head sunk on the child’s little bed, motionless and almost unconscious. —
自从德朗纳尔先生离开房间二十分钟以来,朱利安一直看着心爱的女人,她的头埋在孩子的小床上,一动不动,几乎失去了意识。 —

‘Here we have a woman of superior intelligence reduced to the last extremes of misery, because she has knownme,’ he said to himself.
“在这里,我们有一个聪明的女人,因为认识我而被推到了极限,”他自言自语道。

The hours passed rapidly. ‘What can I do for her? I must make up mymind. —
时间过得很快。“我能为她做些什么?我必须下定决心。 —

I have ceased to count here. What do I care for men, and their sillyaffectations? —
这里我已经不再计较。我在乎什么人,及他们愚蠢的装腔作势? —

What can I do for her? … Go from her? But I shall be leaving her alone, torn by the most frightful grief. —
我能为她做些什么?…离开她吗?但是我将把她独自留下,饱受可怕的痛苦。 —

That automaton of a husband does her more harm than good. —
那个像机器人一样的丈夫给她带来更多伤害而不是好处。 —

He will say something offensive toher, in his natural coarseness; —
他会因为自己粗鲁的本性对她说出伤害她的话; —

she may go mad, throw herself from thewindow.
她可能因此发疯,从窗户里扑下去。

  ’If I leave her, if I cease to watch over her, she will tell him everything.
如果我离开她,如果我停止看守她,她会把一切告诉他。

And then, for all one knows, in spite of the fortune he is to inheritthrough her, he will make a scandal. —
然后,谁知道,尽管他将通过她继承财产,他会制造丑闻。 —

She may tell everything, great God,to that—abbe Maslon, who makes the illness of a child of six an excusefor never stirring out of this house, and not without purpose. —
她可能会把一切告诉,天主啊,那个——马斯隆神父,他以一个六岁孩子的疾病为借口,从不离开这所房子,而且不是没有目的。 —

In her griefand her fear of God, she forgets all that she knows of the man; —
在她的悲伤和对上帝的恐惧中,她忘记了自己对这个人所知道的一切; —

she seesonly the priest.’
她只看到了神父。

  ’Leave me,’ came suddenly from Madame de Renal as she opened hereyes.
“离开我,” 雷奈尔夫人突然睁开眼睛说道。

‘I would give my life a thousand times to know how I can be of mostuse to you,’ replied Julien; ‘never have I so loved you, my dear angel, orrather, from this instant only, I begin to adore you as you deserve to beadored. —
“我愿意千百次地牺牲自己,只为知道如何能对你最有用,” 朱利安回答道;”我从来没有这样爱过你,我亲爱的天使,或者更准确地说,从这一刻起,我才开始按照你应当被爱的方式来崇拜你。 —

What is to become of me apart from you, and with the knowledge that you are wretched by my fault! —
除了你,对我来说还有什么前途,有着你可怜的消息摧残我自己! —

But I must not speak of myown sufferings. I shall go, yes, my love. —
但我不该讲述我自己的苦难。我会走,是的,我心爱的人。 —

But, if I leave you, if I cease towatch over you, to be constantly interposing myself between you andyour husband, you will tell him everything, you will be ruined. —
但是,如果我离开你,如果我停止看管你,停止不断地将自己介入在你和你的丈夫之间,你会告诉他一切,你会被毁灭。 —

Think ofthe ignominy with which he will drive you from the house; —
想想他将怎样羞辱你赶出这个家; —

all Verrieres,all Besancon will ring with the scandal. —
整个韦里埃尔,整个贝桑松都会有关于丑闻的响声。 —

All the blame will be cast on you;you will never be able to lift up your head again.’
所有的责任都会加在你身上;你将永远无法抬起头来。

  ’That is all that I ask,’ she cried, rising to her feet. ‘I shall suffer, all thebetter.’
“这就是我所求的一切,” 她叫着站起身来。 “我会更痛苦,但这更好。

  ’But, by this appalling scandal, you will be harming him as well!’
“但是,通过这一可怕的丑闻,你也会伤害他!”

‘But I humble myself, I throw myself down in the mud; and in thatway perhaps I save my son. —
“但是我卑微自己,我跌入泥坑;或许在所有人面前这样也许是为了拯救我的儿子。 —

This humiliation, in the sight of all, is perhaps a public penance. —
这种羞辱,在所有人看着的情况下,也许是一种公开的忏悔。 —

So far as my frailty can judge, is it not the greatestsacrifice that I can make to God? —
据我这个软弱的人所判断,这难道不是我可以献给上帝最伟大的牺牲吗? —

Perhaps he will deign to accept my humiliation and to spare me my son! —
也许他会因我的卑微而高兴,并饶恕我我的儿子!” —

Show me a harder sacrifice and Iwill hasten to perform it.’
展示给我一个更难的牺牲,我将立即去执行。

‘Let me punish myself. I too am guilty. Would you have me retire to LaTrappe? —
让我来惩罚自己。我也有罪。你希望我退隐到拉特拉普吗? —

The austerity of the life there may appease your God … Oh,heaven! —
那里的生活苦行可能会安抚你的上帝…哦,天啊! —

Why can I not take upon myself Stanislas’s illness?’
为什么我不能承受斯坦尼斯拉的疾病?

  ’Ah! You love him,’ said Madame de Renal, rising and flinging herselfinto his arms.
‘啊,你爱他,’黎内夫人说着,站起身,扑入他的怀中。

  Immediately she thrust him from her with horror.
立刻她惊恐地将他推开。

‘I believe you! I believe you!’ she went on, having fallen once more onher knees; —
‘我相信你!我相信你!’她再次跪下说道; —

‘O my only friend, why are not you Stanislas’s father? —
‘哦,我唯一的朋友,要是你是斯坦尼斯拉的父亲又何妨? —

Then itwould not be a horrible sin to love you more than your son.’
那样我就可以爱你多过你的儿子而不会构成可怕的罪过。

‘Will you permit me to stay, and henceforward only to love you as abrother? —
‘你允许我留下,并从现在开始只把你当作兄长来爱吗? —

It is the only reasonable expiation; it may appease the wrath ofthe Most High.’
这是唯一合乎情理的赎罪;它或许可以平息至高者的愤怒。

‘And I,’ she exclaimed, rising, and taking Julien’s head in her hands,and holding it at arm’s length before her eyes, ‘and I, shall I love you likea brother? —
‘而我,’她一边叫着,一边站起身,抓住朱利安的头,将他举在眼前远远地看着, —

Is it in my power to love you like a brother?’
‘我,我能像爱一个兄长那样爱你吗?

  Julien burst into tears.
朱利安泪流满面。

‘I will obey you,’ he said as he fell at her feet. —
‘我会听从你的,’他说着跪在她脚下。 —

‘I will obey you,whatever you may bid me do; it is the one thing left for me. —
我将听从你的命令,无论你叫我做什么;这是我留给自己的唯一选择。 —

My brain issmitten with blindness; I can see no course to take. —
我的大脑被盲目所困扰;我看不到任何出路。 —

If I leave you, you tellyour husband all; you ruin yourself, and him at the same time. —
如果我离开你,你会告诉你丈夫一切;这样你会毁掉自己,同时也毁掉他。 —

Aftersuch a disgrace he will never be elected Deputy. —
经历这样的耻辱,他将永远不会再被选为国会代表。 —

If I stay, you regard meas the cause of your son’s death, and you yourself die of grief. —
如果我留下,你会把我视为你儿子去世的原因,你自己可能也会因悲伤而死去。 —

Wouldyou like to test the effect of my going? —
你想试试看我离开后的影响吗? —

If you like, I will punish myselffor our sin by leaving you for a week. —
如果你愿意,我可以通过离开你一周来惩罚自己我们的罪行。 —

I shall pass the time in retreatwherever you choose. At the abbey of Bray-le-Haut, for instance; —
我会选择你指定的地方进行闭关。比如,在布雷-勒-奥的修道院; —

butswear to me that during my absence you will reveal nothing to your husband. —
但你必须向我发誓,在我离开期间不会对你丈夫透露任何事情。 —

Remember that I can never return if you speak.’
记住,如果你说出去,我将永远无法回来。

  She promised; he departed, but was recalled after two days.
她答应了,他离开了,但两天后被召回。

‘It is impossible for me to keep my oath without you. —
没有你,我不可能兑现我的誓言。 —

I shall speak tomy husband, if you are not constantly there to order me with your eyesto be silent. —
如果你不时刻在那里用你的眼睛命令我保持沉默,我将会告诉我的丈夫。 —

Each hour of this abominable life seems to me to last a day.’
这种可怕的生活中的每个钟头对我来说都像是一天。

In the end, heaven took pity on this unhappy mother. Gradually Stanislas passed out of danger. —
最终,上天怜悯这位不幸的母亲。斯坦尼斯拉 gradually 脱离了危险。 —

But the ice was broken, her reason hadlearned the magnitude of her sin, she could no more recover her equilibrium. —
但是冰已经破裂,她的理智意识到了她罪孽的巨大,她无法再恢复平衡。 —

Remorse still remained, and took the form that it was bound to take in so sincere a heart. —
悔恨仍然存在,并采取了它在如此诚挚的心灵中必然采取的形式。 —

Her life was heaven and hell; hell when she didnot see Julien, heaven when she was at his feet.
她的生活是天堂和地狱;没有看到朱利安时是地狱,倾心于他时是天堂。

‘I am no longer under any illusion,’ she told him, even at the momentswhen she ventured to give absolute rein to her love: —
‘我不再抱幻想了,’即使在她冒险完全放开爱时,她告诉他: —

‘I am damned, irremediably damned. You are young, you have yielded to my seduction,heaven may pardon you; —
‘我已经被诱惑,无可救药了。你年轻,听从了我的引诱,天堂或许会原谅你; —

but as for me, I am damned. I know it by an infallible sign. I am afraid: —
但至于我,我已经被定罪了。我通过一个确凿的迹象知道了。我害怕; —

who would not be afraid at the sight of hell? Butat heart, I am not in the least repentant. —
谁看到地狱不会害怕?但内心里,我一点也不后悔。 —

I would commit my sin again,were it to be committed. —
即使要再次犯罪,我也会愿意再犯。 —

Let heaven only refrain from punishing me inthis world and in my children, and I shall have more than I deserve. —
只要天堂不在这世界和我的孩子身上惩罚我,我就已经超额得到了。 —

Butyou, at least, my Julien,’ she cried at other moments, ‘are you happy? —
但是至少你,我的朱利安,你快乐吗? —

Doyou feel that I love you enough?’
你觉得我爱你足够吗?

Julien’s distrust and suffering pride, which needed above all a lovethat made sacrifices, could not stand out against the sight of so great, soindubitable a sacrifice, and one that was made afresh every moment. —
朱利安心中的不信任和受伤的骄傲,在需要一个做出牺牲的爱时,不能抵挡这种如此伟大、无法置疑的牺牲的景象,这种牺牲每时每刻都在进行。 —

Headored Madame de Renal. ‘She may well be noble, and I the son of aworking man; —
他敬爱着雷内尔夫人。“她可能有贵族血统,而我只是一个工人家庭的孩子; —

she loves me … I am not to her a footman employed in thepart of lover.’ —
她爱我…在她眼中,我不是一个扮演情人角色的仆人。 —

Once rid of this fear, Julien fell into all the follies of love,into its mortal uncertainties.
一旦摆脱了这种恐惧,朱利安便开始陷入爱情的一切狂想,陷入它致命的不确定性之中。

‘At least.’ she cried when she saw that he doubted her love, ‘let memake you happy during the few days we still have to spend together! —
“至少,”她大声喊道,当她看到他怀疑她的爱时,“让我在我们还有共度的短暂时光里让你快乐! —

Letus make haste; tomorrow perhaps I shall be no longer yours. —
让我们快点;也许明天我就再不属于你了。 —

If heavenstrikes me through my children, in vain shall I seek to live only for loveof you, not to see that it is my crime that is killing them. —
如果天堂因我的罪击中我的孩子,我将徒劳地试图只为你的爱而活,却看到是我的罪正在杀死他们。 —

I shall not beable to survive that blow. —
我活不下去了。 —

Even if I would, I could not; I should go mad.’
即使我愿意,我也做不到;我会发疯的。

  ’Ah! If I could take your sin upon my conscience, as you so generouslywished that you might take Stanislas’s fever!’
“啊! 如果我能将你的罪过承担在我的良心上,就像你曾如此慷慨地希望能够承受斯坦尼斯拉斯的热病!”

This great moral crisis changed the nature of the sentiment that unitedJulien to his mistress. —
这场伟大的道德危机改变了朱利安与他情人之间的感情性质。 —

His love was no longer merely admiration of herbeauty, pride in the possession of her.
他对她的爱不再仅仅是对她美丽的钦佩,对拥有她的骄傲。

Their joy was thenceforward of a far higher nature, the flame that devoured them was more intense. —
从那时起,他们的欢乐变得更加高尚,吞噬他们的火焰更加强烈。 —

They underwent transports of uttermadness. —
他们经历了彻底的疯狂。 —

Their happiness would have seemed great in the eyes of otherpeople. —
他们的幸福在其他人看来可能会很大。 —

But they never recaptured the delicious serenity, the uncloudedhappiness, the spontaneous joy of the first days of their love, when Madame de Renal’s one fear was that of not being loved enough by Julien.
但他们再也没有重新体验到初恋时的甜蜜宁静、无云的幸福,当时Renal夫人唯一的恐惧是朱利安对自己的爱不够。

  Their happiness assumed at times the aspect of crime.
他们的幸福有时候变得像犯罪一样。

  In what were their happiest, and apparently their calmest moments:
在他们最快乐、表面上最平静的时刻:

‘Oh! Great God! I see hell before me,’ Madame de Renal would suddenly exclaim, gripping Julien’s hand with a convulsive movement. —
‘啊,上帝!我看到地狱在我面前,’ Renal夫人突然说道,紧紧抓住朱利安的手。 —

‘What fearful torments! I have well deserved them.’ —
‘多么可怕的折磨!我完全活该。’ —

She clutched him, clinging tohim like the ivy to the wall.
她紧紧地抓住他,像爬墙的常春藤一样。

Julien tried in vain to calm this agitated soul. —
朱利安试图徒劳地平静这颗激动的灵魂。 —

She took his hand, whichshe covered with kisses. —
她拿起他的手,覆盖在吻中。 —

Then, relapsing into a sombre meditation; ‘Hell,’
然后,陷入阴郁的沉思;’地狱,’

she said, ‘hell would be a blessing to me; —
她说,’地狱对我来说是一种祝福; —

I should still have some days inthis world to spend with him, but hell here on earth, the death of mychildren … Yet, at that price, perhaps my crime would be forgiven me …Oh! —
我在这个世界上仍然可以和他度过一些日子,但是在地球上的地狱,失去我的孩子…然而,以这样的代价,也许我的罪会被宽恕…哦!’ —

Great God! Grant me not my pardon at that price. —
大主啊!不要以那样的代价赐予我赦免。 —

These poor children have done nothing to offend thee; —
这些可怜的孩子并没有冒犯你; —

‘tis I, I, the guilt is mine alone! Ilove a man who is not my husband.’
是我,是我,罪孽只属于我!我爱上了一个不是我丈夫的男人。

Julien next saw Madame de Renal reach a state that was outwardlytranquil. —
接着,朱利安看到了德芮娜夫人表面上变得平静。 —

She sought to take the burden upon herself, she wished not topoison the existence of him whom she loved.
她试图把负担承担在自己身上,她不希望毒害她爱的人的生活。

In the midst of these alternations of love, remorse and pleasure, thedays passed for them with lightning rapidity. —
在爱情、懊悔和快乐的交替中,他们的日子飞快地过去。 —

Julien lost the habit ofreflection.
朱利安失去了思考的习惯。

  Miss Elisa went to conduct a little lawsuit which she had at Verrieres.
依莉莎小姐去处理她在韦里耶有的一个小官司。

She found M. Valenod greatly annoyed with Julien. —
她发现瓦勒诺德先生对朱利安十分恼火。 —

She hated the tutorand often spoke about him to M. Valenod.
她恨这个家庭教师,经常和瓦勒诺德先生提到他。

‘You would ruin me, Sir, if I told you the truth!’ she said to him oneday. —
“先生,如果我告诉您实情,您会毁了我的!”她有一天对他说。 —

‘Employers all hang together in important things. —
“在重要的事情上,雇主们总是相互保护的。 —

They never forgive us poor servants for certain revelations … ‘
他们永远不会原谅我们这些可怜的仆人对某些事情的揭露……”

  After these conventional phrases, which the impatient curiosity of M.
在用以打断瓦勒诺德先生那对不耐烦的好奇心的常规短语之后,他得知了对他自尊极为打击的事情。

  Valenod found a way of cutting short, he learned the most mortifyingthings in the world for his own self-esteem.
如果你有孩子,先生,不要让他们当家庭教师。

This woman, the most distinguished in the place, whom for six yearshe had surrounded with every attention, and, unluckily, before the eyesof all the world; —
这位在这个地方最杰出的女士,六年来受到他周到的关注,不幸的是,却在全世界的眼前; —

this proudest of women, whose disdain had so oftenmade him blush, had taken as her lover a little journeyman dressed up asa tutor. —
这位最傲慢的女士,他的冷漠曾经让他感到羞愧,竟然选择了一个打扮成家庭教师的小学徒作为情人; —

And that nothing might be wanting to the discomfiture of thegovernor of the poorhouse, Madame de Renal adored this lover.
殊不知,这位贫民院院长的悲愤之情尽在不言中,勒内夫人却爱上了这个情人;

  ’And,’ the maid added with a sigh, ’M. Julien went to no pains to makethis conquest, he has never departed from his habitual coldness withMadame.’
仆人叹息着补充道:“朱利安先生对勒内夫人依然冷淡,他从未在乎过这个征服;

  It was only in the country that Elisa had become certain of her facts,but she thought that this intrigue dated from far earlier.
此事情调查到位,当他在乡间见到爱丽莎时,更加确信这段风流情谊早在之前就开始了;

‘That, no doubt, is why,’ she continued bitterly, ‘he refused at the timeto marry me. —
“毫无疑问,正是这个原因,”她痛苦地继续说道,他当时拒绝和我结婚是为了这个; —

And I, like a fool, going to consult Madame de Renal, begging her to speak to the tutor!’
我像个傻瓜一样,当时去找勒内夫人商量,请求她和这位家庭教师谈谈!

That same evening M. de Renal received from the town, with hisnewspaper, a long anonymous letter which informed him in the fullestdetail of all that was going on under his roof. —
当晚,勒内先生在城里的报纸上收到了一封匿名信,信里详细告知了他家里发生的事情; —

Julien saw him turn pale ashe read this letter, which was written on blue paper, and cast angryglances at himself. —
朱利安看到他阅读这封信时脸色苍白,他知道信是写在蓝色纸上的,而后怒视着他; —

For the rest of the evening the Mayor never recoveredhis peace of mind; —
在接下来的晚上,镇长再也没有恢复心情; —

it was in vain that Julien tried to flatter him by askinghim to explain obscure points in the pedigrees of the best families ofBurgundy.
尽管朱利安试图讨好他,向他请教勃艮第最好家族的家谱中的问题,但都无济于事。