CONCLUSION
结论

On the sixth of the following month the king, in compliance with the promise he had made the cardinal to return to La Rochelle, left his capital still in amazement at the news which began to spread itself of Buckingham’s assassination.
第二天,女王不得不相信这个致命的消息;

Although warned that the man she had loved so much was in great danger, the queen, when his death was announced to her, would not believe the fact, and even imprudently exclaimed, “it is false; —
警告她深爱的人处境危险,女王在得知他的死讯时不愿相信,并不明智地大叫道:“这是假的; —

he has just written to me!”
他刚刚给我写信!”

But the next day she was obliged to believe this fatal intelligence; —
六月第六日,国王遵守了他对枢机主教的承诺,返回拉罗谢尔,他的首都依然因巴基汉谋杀的消息而震惊; —

Laporte, detained in England, as everyone else had been, by the orders of Charles I, arrived, and was the bearer of the duke’s dying gift to the queen.
即使其他人都受查理一世的命令滞留在英格兰,拉普特却到达了,他是公爵临终时送给女王的礼物的送信人;

The joy of the king was lively. He did not even give himself the trouble to dissemble, and displayed it with affectation before the queen. —
国王的喜悦是真挚的,他甚至懒得掩饰,并在女王面前夸耀自己的喜悦。 —

Louis XIII, like very weak mind, was wanting in generosity.
路易十三,像心智非常软弱,慷慨方面缺乏。

But the king soon again became dull and indisposed; —
但是国王很快又变得迟钝和不舒服; —

his brow was not one of those that long remain clear. —
他的眉宇并不是那种长时间保持清晰的眉宇。 —

He felt that in returning to camp he should re-enter slavery; —
他感到重返营地就是重新进入奴役; —

nevertheless, he did return.
尽管如此,他还是回去了。

The cardinal was for him the fascinating serpent, and himself the bird which flies from branch to branch without power to escape.
对他来说,红衣主教是迷人的蛇,而他自己是飞来飞去无法逃脱的鸟。

The return to La Rochelle, therefore, was profoundly dull. —
因此,回到La Rochelle 对他来说是枯燥乏味的。 —

Our four friends, in particular, astonished their comrades; —
特别是我们四位朋友,使他们的同志大为惊讶; —

they traveled together, side by side, with sad eyes and heads lowered. —
他们肩并肩一起行进,眼睛忧郁地低垂。 —

Athos alone from time to time raised his expansive brow; —
只有阿索斯不时地挑起他宽广的额头; —

a flash kindled in his eyes, and a bitter smile passed over his lips, then, like his comrades, he sank again into reverie.
他眼中闪过一丝火花,嘴角掠过一丝苦涩的微笑,然后,像同伴们一样,他又陷入沉思之中。

As soon as the escort arrived in a city, when they had conducted the king to his quarters the four friends either retired to their own or to some secluded cabaret, where they neither drank nor played; —
当护送队到达一个城市时,当他们护送国王到达他的住所后,四位朋友要么退回自己的住所,要么去某个僻静的小酒馆,他们既不喝酒也不玩耍; —

they only conversed in a low voice, looking around attentively to see that no one overheard them.
他们只是低声交谈,细心四处看着以确保没有人听到他们的对话。

One day, when the king had halted to fly the magpie, and the four friends, according to their custom, instead of following the sport had stopped at a cabaret on the high road, a man coming from la Rochelle on horseback pulled up at the door to drink a glass of wine, and darted a searching glance into the room where the four Musketeers were sitting.
有一天,当国王停下来放喜鹊时,四位朋友按照他们的习惯,没有跟着玩赏,而是在高速公路上的一家小酒馆里停下,一名骑马从La Rochelle过来的人停在门口喝了一杯酒,并瞥了一眼坐在那里的四名骑士。

“Holloa, Monsieur d’Artagnan!” said he, “is not that you whom I see yonder?”
“喂,达达尼先生!”他说,“我看到那是你对吗?”。

D’Artagnan raised his head and uttered a cry of joy. It was the man he called his phantom; —
达达尼昂抬起头,发出了一声欢呼。这是他称之为幻影的人; —

it was his stranger of Meung, of the Rue des Fossoyeurs and of Arras.
这是他在莫恩、费索亚街和阿拉斯遇见的陌生人。

D’Artagnan drew his sword, and sprang toward the door.
达达尼昂拔剑,向门口冲去。

But this time, instead of avoiding him the stranger jumped from his horse, and advanced to meet D’Artagnan.
但这一次,陌生人没有躲避,他从马上跳下来,走向达达尼昂。

“Ah, monsieur!” said the young man, “I meet you, then, at last! This time you shall not escape me!”
“啊,先生!”年轻人说道,“我终于找到你了!这次你逃不掉了!”

“Neither is it my intention, monsieur, for this time I was seeking you; —
“先生,这次找你是我主动的; —

in the name of the king, I arrest you.”
我奉国王之命逮捕你。”

“How! what do you say?” cried D’Artagnan.
“什么!你在说什么?”达达尼昂喊道。

“I say that you must surrender your sword to me, monsieur, and that without resistance. —
“我说你必须把剑交给我,先生,而且不得反抗。 —

This concerns your head, I warn you.”
我提醒你这关系到你的性命。”

“Who are you, then?” demanded D’Artagnan, lowering the point of his sword, but without yet surrendering it.
“那么你是谁?”达达尼昂问道,将剑尖低了下来,但还没有放弃。

“I am the Chevalier de Rochefort,” answered the other, “the equerry of Monsieur le Cardinal Richelieu, and I have orders to conduct you to his Eminence.”
“我是迭戈·罗切福特骑士,”对方回答道,”红衣主教大人的侍从,我有命令把你送到他的尊贵面前。”

“We are returning to his Eminence, monsieur the Chevalier,” said Athos, advancing; —
“我们正在回到他的尊贵那里,罗切福特先生,”阿索斯走上前说道; —

“and you will please to accept the word of Monsieur d’Artagnan that he will go straight to La Rochelle.”
“请接受达达尼昂先生的承诺,他会直接前往洛歇尔。”

“I must place him in the hands of guards who will take him into camp.”
“我必须把他交给护卫,他们会带他进入营地。”

“We will be his guards, monsieur, upon our word as gentlemen; —
“我们将作他的护卫,先生,以我们绅士的信誉为保证; —

but likewise, upon our word as gentlemen,” added Athos, knitting his brow, “Monsieur d’Artagnan shall not leave us.”
但同样,以我们绅士的信誉为保证,”阿多斯皱着眉头补充道,”达达尼昂先生不会离开我们。”

The Chevalier de Rochefort cast a glance backward, and saw that Porthos and Aramis had placed themselves between him and the gate; —
雷舍福尔骑士回头看了一眼,看到波尔多和阿拉米斯已经站在他和大门之间; —

he understood that he was completely at the mercy of these four men.
他明白自己完全受这四个人的控制。

“Gentlemen,” said he, “if Monsieur d’Artagnan will surrender his sword to me and join his word to yours, I shall be satisfied with your promise to convey Monsieur d’Artagnan to the quarters of Monseigneur the Cardinal.”
“先生们,”他说,”如果达达尼昂先生愿意把剑交给我,并加入您们的承诺,我将满足于您们承诺把达达尼昂先生送到红衣主教的营地。”

“You have my word, monsieur, and here is my sword.”
“你有我的承诺,先生,这是我的剑。”

“This suits me the better,” said Rochefort, “as I wish to continue my journey.”
“这对我更好,”雷舍福尔说道,”因为我希望继续我的旅程。”

“If it is for the purpose of rejoining Milady,” said Athos, coolly, “it is useless; —
“如果是为了回到米勒迪那里,”阿多斯冷静地说道,”那是没有用的; —

you will not find her.”
你找不到她。”

“What has become of her, then?” asked Rochefort, eagerly.
“那她去了哪里呢?” 雷舍福尔急切地问道。

“Return to camp and you shall know.”
“回到营地你就会知道了。”

Rochefort remained for a moment in thought; —
雷舍福尔沉思了一会儿; —

then, as they were only a day’s journey from Surgeres, whither the cardinal was to come to meet the king, he resolved to follow the advice of Athos and go with them. —
然后,因为他们距离苏热尔只有一天的路程,红衣主教要到那儿去见国王,他决定听从阿多斯的建议,跟着他们去。 —

Besides, this return offered him the advantage of watching his prisoner.
此外,这次返回还让他有个监视囚犯的好机会。

They resumed their route.
他们又继续了他们的路程。

On the morrow, at three o’clock in the afternoon, they arrived at Surgeres. —
第二天下午三点,他们抵达了苏热热。 —

The cardinal there awaited Louis XIII. The minister and the king exchanged numerous caresses, felicitating each other upon the fortunate chance which had freed France from the inveterate enemy who set all Europe against her. —
那里的红衣主教正在等待路易十三。两人互相拥抱,庆幸着幸运降临,让法国摆脱了那个让整个欧洲都对她心存敌意的宿敌。 —

After which, the cardinal, who had been informed that D’Artagnan was arrested and who was anxious to see him, took leave of the king, inviting him to come the next day to view the work already done upon the dyke.
之后,得知达达尼昂被捕的红衣主教急于见到他,便向国王告别,邀请他第二天过来看看已经修建好的堤坝。

On returning in the evening to his quarters at the bridge of La Pierre, the cardinal found, standing before the house he occupied, D’Artagnan, without his sword, and the three Musketeers armed.
当晚回到他在拉皮埃尔桥的驻地时,红衣主教发现达达尼昂站在他住的房子前面,没有带剑,而三名火枪手则持械站着。

This time, as he was well attended, he looked at them sternly, and made a sign with his eye and hand for D’Artagnan to follow him.
这一次,他跟随了很多人,严厉地看着他们,并用眼神和手势示意达达尼昂跟他走。

D’Artagnan obeyed.
达达尼昂遵从了。

“We shall wait for you, D’Artagnan,” said Athos, loud enough for the cardinal to hear him.
“我们会等你,达达尼昂,”阿索斯高声对红衣主教说。

His Eminence bent his brow, stopped for an instant, and then kept on his way without uttering a single word.
阁下皱眉,停了一会儿,然后默默继续走路,没有说一句话。

D’Artagnan entered after the cardinal, and behind D’Artagnan the door was guarded.
达达尼昂跟在红衣主教后面进去,门口被守卫。

His Eminence entered the chamber which served him as a study, and made a sign to Rochefort to bring in the young Musketeer.
英艾马进入他的书房,示意洛切福特带来这位年轻的火枪手。

Rochefort obeyed and retired.
洛切福特遵命后退了。

D’Artagnan remained alone in front of the cardinal; —
达达尼昂独自面对红衣主教; —

this was his second interview with Richelieu, and he afterward confessed that he felt well assured it would be his last.
这是他与李舍尔的第二次会面,他事后坦言,他很确定这会是最后一次。

Richelieu remained standing, leaning against the mantelpiece; —
李舍尔站在那里,靠在壁炉架上; —

a table was between him and D’Artagnan.
他和达达尼昂之间隔着一张桌子。

“Monsieur,” said the cardinal, “you have been arrested by my orders.”
“先生,”红衣主教说道,“你是受我命令逮捕的。”

“So they tell me, monseigneur.”
“他们告诉我,大人。”

“Do you know why?”
“你知道原因吗?”

“No, monseigneur, for the only thing for which I could be arrested is still unknown to your Eminence.”
“不,大人,因为我被捕的唯一理由对你的阁下仍然是未知的。”

Richelieu looked steadfastly at the young man.
Richelieu坚定地看着这个年轻人。

“Holloa!” said he, “what does that mean?”
“喂!”他说,“这是什么意思?”

“If Monseigneur will have the goodness to tell me, in the first place, what crimes are imputed to me, I will then tell him the deeds I have really done.”
“如果阁下先告诉我,我被指控犯了什么罪行,我会告诉他我真正做过的事情。”

“Crimes are imputed to you which had brought down far loftier heads than yours, monsieur,” said the cardinal.
“被指控的罪行比您更高的头颅倒下了,先生,”红衣主教说。

“What, monseigneur?” said D’Artagnan, with a calmness which astonished the cardinal himself.
“什么,大人?”达达尼昂冷静地说,这让红衣主教自己都感到惊讶。

“You are charged with having corresponded with the enemies of the kingdom; —
“你被指控与王国的敌人通信; —

you are charged with having surprised state secrets; —
你被指控窃取了国家机密; —

you are charged with having tried to thwart the plans of your general.”
你被指控阻挠了将军的计划。”

“And who charges me with this, monseigneur?” —
“是谁指控我的,大人?” —

said D’Artagnan, who had no doubt the accusation came from Milady, “a woman branded by the justice of the country; —
达达尼昂无疑认为这个指控来自米莱迪,“一个被国家法律判罪的女人; —

a woman who has espoused one man in France and another in England; —
一个在法国嫁给一个男人,在英格兰嫁给另一个男人; —

a woman who poisoned her second husband and who attempted both to poison and assassinate me!”
“一个毒死了她第二任丈夫并试图毒害和刺杀我的女人!”

“What do you say, monsieur?” cried the cardinal, astonished; —
“你说什么,先生?”枢机主教惊讶地说; —

“and of what woman are you speaking thus?”
“你在说哪个女人?”

“Of Milady de Winter,” replied D’Artagnan, “yes, of Milady de Winter, of whose crimes your Eminence is doubtless ignorant, since you have honored her with your confidence.”
“米莱迪·德·温特夫人,”达达尼昂回答,“是的,米莱迪·德·温特夫人,你方明未必知道她的罪行,因为您曾经信任过她。”

“Monsieur,” said the cardinal, “if Milady de Winter has committed the crimes you lay to her charge, she shall be punished.”
“先生,”枢机主教说,“如果米莱迪·德·温特夫人犯了你所指控的罪行,她将受到惩罚。”

“She has been punished, monseigneur.”
“她已经受到了惩罚,大人。”

“And who has punished her?”
“谁惩罚了她?”

“We.”
“我们。”

“She is in prison?”
“她在监狱里?”

“She is dead.”
“她死了。”

“Dead!” repeated the cardinal, who could not believe what he heard, “dead! —
“死了!”主教重复道,他简直无法相信所听到的,”死了!” —

Did you not say she was dead?”
“你不是说她死了吗?”

“Three times she attempted to kill me, and I pardoned her; —
“她三次试图杀我,我都饶了她; —

but she murdered the woman I loved. Then my friends and I took her, tried her, and condemned her.”
但她却谋害了我所爱的女人。于是我和我的朋友们抓住了她,审判了她,并判决了她。”

D’Artagnan then related the poisoning of Mme. Bonacieux in the convent of the Carmelites at Bethune, the trial in the isolated house, and the execution on the banks of the Lys.
达达尼昂接着叙述了在贝松的加尔默罗修道院中玛德姆·博纳谢之毒害、在隔绝的房子中的审判,以及在利斯河岸的处决。

A shudder crept through the body of the cardinal, who did not shudder readily.
一阵寒意袭过主教的身体,一个不易受惊吓的人。

But all at once, as if undergoing the influence of an unspoken thought, the countenance of the cardinal, till then gloomy, cleared up by degrees, and recovered perfect serenity.
但突然间,仿佛在未说出的念头的影响下,主教的面容,此前阴沉的,逐渐明朗起来,恢复了完美的宁静。

“So,” said the cardinal, in a tone that contrasted strongly with the severity of his words, “you have constituted yourselves judges, without remembering that they who punish without license to punish are assassins?”
“这样,”主教以一种与他的严厉言辞形成鲜明对比的语气说道,”你们把自己奉为法官,却未曾记得,惩罚无授权的人就是刺客?”

“Monseigneur, I swear to you that I never for an instant had the intention of defending my head against you. —
“主教大人,我向您发誓,我从未有过半点想要反抗您的意图。 —

I willingly submit to any punishment your Eminence may please to inflict upon me. —
我甘愿接受贵府惩罚我所愿意施加的任何惩罚。 —

I do not hold life dear enough to be afraid of death.”
我不认为生命值得害怕死亡。”

“Yes, I know you are a man of a stout heart, monsieur,” said the cardinal, with a voice almost affectionate; —
“是的,我知道您是一个胆量过人的人,先生,”主教带着一种几乎是充满深情的声音说道; —

“I can therefore tell you beforehand you shall be tried, and even condemned.”
因此,我可以提前告诉你,你将被审判,甚至被判有罪。

“Another might reply to your Eminence that he had his pardon in his pocket. —
“另一个人可能会回答贵主教,他已经把赦免书放在口袋里了。” —

I content myself with saying: Command, monseigneur; I am ready.”
“我只想说:下令吧,大主教;我已经准备好了。”

“Your pardon?” said Richelieu, surprised.
“你的赦免书?”里歇尔惊讶地说。

“Yes, monseigneur,” said D’Artagnan.
“是的,大主教,”达达尼安说。

“And signed by whom–by the king?” And the cardinal pronounced these words with a singular expression of contempt.
“是由谁签署的——是国王吗?” 大主教带着一种特有的鄙夷表情说道。

“No, by your Eminence.”
“不,是贵主教您。”

“By me? You are insane, monsieur.”
“由我?先生,你疯了。”

“Monseigneur will doubtless recognize his own handwriting.”
“大主教无疑会认得自己的笔迹。”

And D’Artagnan presented to the cardinal the precious piece of paper which Athos had forced from Milady, and which he had given to D’Artagnan to serve him as a safeguard.
达达尼安向大主教递上了阿索斯从米蕾迪那里夺过来的那张宝贵的纸,阿索斯交给达达尼安作为保护的。

His Eminence took the paper, and read in a slow voice, dwelling upon every syllable:
贵主教拿起这张纸,慢慢地读了起来,一字一顿地念着:

“Dec. 3, 1627 “It is by my order and for the good of the state that the bearer of this has done what he has done.
“1627年12月3日,“携此者所为一切皆系于我命,为了国家的利益。”

“RICHELIEU”
里歇尔

The cardinal, after having read these two lines, sank into a profound reverie; —
大主教读完这两行后,陷入了沉思; —

but he did not return the paper to D’Artagnan.
但他并没有将纸递还给达达尼安。

“He is meditating by what sort of punishment he shall cause me to die,” said the Gascon to himself. —
“他在冥想着要以何种惩罚让我死去,“加斯科涅人自言自语道。 —

“Well, my faith! he shall see how a gentleman can die.”
“好吧,看看吧!他将会看到一个绅士是如何英勇地死去的。”

The young Musketeer was in excellent disposition to die heroically.
年轻的麻香兵士以英勇地死去的优秀状态。

Richelieu still continued thinking, rolling and unrolling the paper in his hands.
里士满仍在思考,手中打着纸卷。

At length he raised his head, fixed his eagle look upon that loyal, open, and intelligent countenance, read upon that face, furrowed with tears, all the sufferings its possessor had endured in the course of a month, and reflected for the third or fourth time how much there was in that youth of twenty-one years before him, and what resources his activity, his courage, and his shrewdness might offer to a good master. —
最后,他抬起头,将他那鹰一般的目光投向那位忠诚、坦诚且聪明面孔,看出那张因泪水而皱纹累累的面容中,在一个月内遭受过的所有苦难,再次反思这位二十一年的年轻人面前所具有的品质,以及他的活跃、勇气和机敏对一个好主人有多大的帮助。 —

On the other side, the crimes, the power, and the infernal genius of Milady had more than once terrified him. —
另一方面,米莱迪的罪行、权力和地狱级天才曾经吓到过他。 —

He felt something like a secret joy at being forever relieved of this dangerous accomplice.
他感到类似于一种秘密的喜悦,因为永远摆脱了这个危险的同谋。

Richelieu slowly tore the paper which D’Artagnan had generously relinquished.
里士满缓缓地撕裂了达达尼昂慷慨放弃的纸。

“I am lost!” said D’Artagnan to himself. And he bowed profoundly before the cardinal, like a man who says, “Lord, Thy will be done!”
“我完了!”达达尼昂心里想。

The cardinal approached the table, and without sitting down, wrote a few lines upon a parchment of which two-thirds were already filled, and affixed his seal.
他向主教深深鞠躬,就像是一个说:“主啊,愿你的旨意成全!”

“That is my condemnation,” thought D’Artagnan; —
主教走近桌前,没坐下,把几行字写在一个已经填了三分之二的羊皮纸上,然后盖上自己的印章。 —

“he will spare me the ENNUI of the Bastille, or the tediousness of a trial. —
“这就是我的判决,” 达达尼昂想。 —

That’s very kind of him.”
“他将会饶过我在巴士底狱的无聊或者是审判的无聊。

“Here, monsieur,” said the cardinal to the young man. —
这真是太仁慈了。 —

“I have taken from you one CARTE BLANCHE to give you another. —
“这里,先生,”主教对年轻人说。 —

The name is wanting in this commission; you can write it yourself.”
这份委任书上缺少名字; 你可以自己写上去。”

D’Artagnan took the paper hesitatingly and cast his eyes over it; —
达达尼昂犹豫地接过纸张,浏览了一下; —

it was a lieutenant’s commission in the Musketeers.
这是一份麾下侍卫的中尉委任状。

D’Artagnan fell at the feet of the cardinal.
达达尼昂跪倒在枢机大臣的脚下。

“Monseigneur,” said he, “my life is yours; henceforth dispose of it. —
“大人,”他说,“我的生命归您所有; 今后随您处置。 —

But this favor which you bestow upon me I do not merit. —
但您赐予我的这份恩惠,我并不配得。 —

I have three friends who are more meritorious and more worthy–”
我有三个朋友更加有功劳更加配得–”

“You are a brave youth, D’Artagnan,” interrupted the cardinal, tapping him familiarly on the shoulder, charmed at having vanquished this rebellious nature. —
“达达尼昂,你是个勇敢的年轻人,”枢机大臣打他的肩膀,对战胜了这个叛逆本性感到高兴。 —

“Do with this commission what you will; only remember, though the name be blank, it is to you I give it.”
“你可以随意处理这份委任状; 只要记住,尽管姓名空白,但是我是送给你的。”

“I shall never forget it,” replied D’Artagnan. “Your Eminence may be certain of that.”
“我永远不会忘记的,”达达尼昂回答。“大人可以放心。”

The cardinal turned and said in a loud voice, “Rochefort!” —
枢机大臣转身大声说,“罗切福!” —

The chevalier, who no doubt was near the door, entered immediately.
无疑站在门边的骑士立刻进来。

“Rochefort,” said the cardinal, “you see Monsieur d’Artagnan. —
“罗切福,”枢机大臣说,“这位是达达尼昂先生。 —

I receive him among the number of my friends. Greet each other, then; —
我将他收为朋友之一。互相问候吧; —

and be wise if you wish to preserve your heads.”
要明智,如果想保住你们的脑袋。”

Rochefort and D’Artagnan coolly greeted each other with their lips; —
罗切福尔特和达达尼昂冷静地用嘴唇互相问候; —

but the cardinal was there, observing them with his vigilant eye.
但是,这时,枢机主教在场,用他警惕的眼睛观察着他们。

They left the chamber at the same time.
他们同时离开了房间。

“We shall meet again, shall we not, monsieur?”
“我们会再见面的,先生,是吗?”

“When you please,” said D’Artagnan.
“随你便,”达达尼昂说。

“An opportunity will come,” replied Rochefort.
“机会会来的,”罗切福尔特回答。

“Hey?” said the cardinal, opening the door.
“嘿?”枢机主教说着,打开了门。

The two men smiled at each other, shook hands, and saluted his Eminence.
两人互相微笑着,握手,并向他的艾默宁斯致敬。

“We were beginning to grow impatient,” said Athos.
“我们已经开始失去耐心了,”阿索斯说。

“Here I am, my friends,” replied D’Artagnan; “not only free, but in favor.”
“朋友们,我在这里,”达达尼昂回答说,“不仅自由,而且受宠待遇。”

“Tell us about it.”
“告诉我们发生了什么。”

“This evening; but for the moment, let us separate.”
“今晚会讲,但此刻,我们先分开一下。”

Accordingly, that same evening D’Artagnan repaired to the quarters of Athos, whom he found in a fair way to empty a bottle of Spanish wine–an occupation which he religiously accomplished every night.
因此,同一晚,达达尼昂去了阿索斯的住所,发现他正准备喝完一瓶西班牙酒–这是他每天都要做的事情。

D’Artagnan related what had taken place between the cardinal and himself, and drawing the commission from his pocket, said, “Here, my dear Athos, this naturally belongs to you.”
达达尼昂讲述了他与枢机主教之间的事情,并从口袋里拿出了委托书,说:“这个,亲爱的阿索斯,自然属于你。”

Athos smiled with one of his sweet and expressive smiles.
阿索斯笑了,用他那种甜蜜而富有表情的微笑。

“Friend,” said he, “for Athos this is too much; for the Comte de la Fere it is too little. —
“朋友,”他说,“对于阿多斯来说,这太多了;对于拉费尔伯爵来说,这太少了。” —

Keep the commission; it is yours. Alas! you have purchased it dearly enough.”
保存这份任命吧;这是你的。唉!你已经付出了足够昂贵的代价。”

D’Artagnan left Athos’s chamber and went to that of Porthos. —
达达尼安离开了阿多斯的房间,去了波尔多斯的房间。 —

He found him clothed in a magnificent dress covered with splendid embroidery, admiring himself before a glass.
他发现波尔多斯穿着一件华丽的衣服,上面布满了精美的刺绣,正在镜子前欣赏自己。

“Ah, ah! is that you, dear friend?” exclaimed Porthos. “How do you think these garments fit me?”
“啊,啊!亲爱的朋友,是你吗?”波尔多斯大声说。“你觉得这些衣服怎么样?”

“Wonderfully,” said D’Artagnan; but I come to offer you a dress which will become you still better.”
“太棒了,”达达尼安说,“但我来给你提供一件更适合你的服装。”

“What?” asked Porthos.
“什么?”波尔多斯问。

“That of a lieutenant of Musketeers.”
“三剑客副队长的服装。”

D’Artagnan related to Porthos the substance of his interview with the cardinal, and said, taking the commission from his pocket, “Here, my friend, write your name upon it and become my chief.”
达达尼安向波尔多斯讲述了与红衣主教的会面内容,并说着,从口袋里拿出了任命状,“朋友,把你的名字写上去,成为我的队长。”

Porthos cast his eyes over the commission and returned it to D’Artagnan, to the great astonishment of the young man.
波尔多斯审视了任命状,将其交还给达达尼安,使这位年轻人大为惊讶。

“Yes,” said he, “yes, that would flatter me very much; —
“是的,”他说,“是的,那会让我非常荣幸; —

but I should not have time enough to enjoy the distinction. —
但我没有足够时间来享受这个头衔。 —

During our expedition to Bethune the husband of my duchess died; —
在我们去贝桑的途中,我的公爵夫人的丈夫去世了; —

so, my dear, the coffer of the defunct holding out its arms to me, I shall marry the widow. —
所以,亲爱的,死者的财产向我伸出胳膊,我将娶寡妇。 —

Look here! I was trying on my wedding suit. —
看这里!我正在试穿我的结婚礼服。 —

Keep the lieutenancy, my dear, keep it.”
保持副官职位,亲爱的,保持它。

The young man then entered the apartment of Aramis. —
年轻人随后进入了阿拉米斯的公寓。 —

He found him kneeling before a PRIEDIEU with his head leaning on an open prayer book.
他看到阿拉米斯跪在一个祷告凳前,头靠在一本打开的祈祷书上。

He described to him his interview with the cardinal, and said, for the third time drawing his commission from his pocket, “You, our friend, our intelligence, our invisible protector, accept this commission. —
他向阿拉米斯描述了他与枢机主教的会面,并说着,第三次从口袋里掏出他的任命状,“你,我们的朋友,我们的智囊,我们的隐形守护者,接受这份任命状吧。 —

You have merited it more than any of us by your wisdom and your counsels, always followed by such happy results.”
你比我们任何人都更值得,因为你的智慧和建议总是带来如此幸福的结果。”

“Alas, dear friend!” said Aramis, “our late adventures have disgusted me with military life. —
“唉,亲爱的朋友!”阿拉米斯说道,“我们最近的冒险让我对军旅生涯感到厌倦。 —

This time my determination is irrevocably taken. —
这次我已经做出了不可撤销的决定。 —

After the siege I shall enter the house of the Lazarists. Keep the commission, D’Artagnan; —
围城之后,我将进入拉扎里斯修会。 —

the profession of arms suits you. You will be a brave and adventurous captain.”
保留这份任命状,达达尼昂;军旅生涯适合你。

D’Artagnan, his eye moist with gratitude though beaming with joy, went back to Athos, whom he found still at table contemplating the charms of his last glass of Malaga by the light of his lamp.
你将成为一名勇敢而富有冒险精神的队长。”

“Well,” said he, “they likewise have refused me.”
达达尼昂,眼中充满感激之情但仍闪烁着喜悦,回到了阿多斯那里,发现他依然盯着灯光下他最后一杯玛拉加酒的魅力。

“That, dear friend, is because nobody is more worthy than yourself.”
“嗯,”他说,“他们也拒绝了我。”

He took a quill, wrote the name of D’Artagnan in the commission, and returned it to him.
他拿起一支鹅毛笔,在任命状上写上了达达尼昂的名字,然后将它交还给了他。

“I shall then have no more friends,” said the young man. “Alas! nothing but bitter recollections.”
“那么,我将不再有朋友了,”年轻人说道,“唉!只会留下痛苦的回忆。”

And he let his head sink upon his hands, while two large tears rolled down his cheeks.
他让头垂在手上,两滴大眼泪顺着他的脸颊滚落下来。

“You are young,” replied Athos; “and your bitter recollections have time to change themselves into sweet remembrances.”
“你还年轻,”阿多斯回答道,“你心中的苦涩回忆还有时间变成美好的记忆。”