MONSIEUR BONACIEUX
BONACIEUX先生

There was in all this, as may have been observed, one personage concerned, of whom, notwithstanding his precarious position, we have appeared to take but very little notice. —
如已经注意到的,这个故事中还有一个人物,尽管他的处境危险,我们似乎并没有给予太多关注。 —

This personage was M. Bonacieux, the respectable martyr of the political and amorous intrigues which entangled themselves so nicely together at this gallant and chivalric period.
这个人就是邦纳舒先生,那位在这个豪侠时代参与政治和爱情阴谋的受尊敬的烈士。

Fortunately, the reader may remember, or may not remember– fortunately we have promised not to lose sight of him.
幸运的是,读者可能记得,也可能不记得–幸运的是我们答应不会忽略他。

The officers who arrested him conducted him straight to the Bastille, where he passed trembling before a party of soldiers who were loading their muskets. —
逮捕他的军官们直接把他带到了巴士底狱,在那里他颤抖着经过一群正在装弹的士兵。 —

Thence, introduced into a half- subterranean gallery, he became, on the part of those who had brought him, the object of the grossest insults and the harshest treatment. —
然后,被带入一条半地下的走廊,他成为了那些带他来的人们最粗暴的侮辱和最严厉对待的对象。 —

The officers perceived that they had not to deal with a gentleman, and they treated him like a very peasant.
军官们意识到他不是绅士,就对他像对待一个普通农民一样。

At the end of half an hour or thereabouts, a clerk came to put an end to his tortures, but not to his anxiety, by giving the order to conduct M. Bonacieux to the Chamber of Examination. —
大约半小时后,一个职员来结束他的折磨,但并没有结束他的焦虑,只是下令把邦纳谢带到审讯室。 —

Ordinarily, prisoners were interrogated in their cells; —
通常情况下,囚犯被在他们的牢房里审问; —

but they did not do so with M. Bonacieux.
但对邦纳谢却没有这样做。

Two guards attended the mercer who made him traverse a court and enter a corridor in which were three sentinels, opened a door and pushed him unceremoniously into a low room, where the only furniture was a table, a chair, and a commissary. —
两名卫兵陪着这位商人,让他穿过一个庭院,进入一个走廊,里面有三名哨兵,打开一扇门,粗暴地推他进入一个只有一张桌子、一把椅子和一个司库的小房间。 —

The commissary was seated in the chair, and was writing at the table.
司库坐在椅子上,在桌子上写着东西。

The two guards led the prisoner toward the table, and upon a sign from the commissary drew back so far as to be unable to hear anything.
两名卫兵把囚犯带到桌子前,司库示意后退,以便听不到任何声音。

The commissary, who had till this time held his head down over his papers, looked up to see what sort of person he had to do with. —
司库,此时一直低头写着东西,抬头看看他要面对的是什么样的人。 —

This commissary was a man of very repulsive mien, with a pointed nose, with yellow and salient cheek bones, with eyes small but keen and penetrating, and an expression of countenance resembling at once the polecat and the fox. —
这位司库长得十分令人讨厌,尖尖的鼻子,凸起的黄颧骨,眼睛小而锐利,面容脸庞一半像雪貂,一半像狐狸。 —

His head, supported by a long and flexible neck, issued from his large black robe, balancing itself with a motion very much like that of the tortoise thrusting his head out of his shell. —
他长着一个长长而灵活的脖子,从他宽大的黑袍里伸出头来,摇摆着,仿佛乌龟把头从壳里伸出来的动作。 —

He began by asking M. Bonacieux his name, age, condition, and abode.
他开始询问邦纳谢的姓名、年龄、身份和住址。

The accused replied that his name was Jacques Michel Bonacieux, that he was fifty-one years old, a retired mercer, and lived Rue des Fossoyeurs, No. 14.
被告回答说他的名字叫雅克·米歇尔·邦纳谢,五十一岁,退休的丝绸商,住在坟墓街14号。

The commissary then, instead of continuing to interrogate him, made him a long speech upon the danger there is for an obscure citizen to meddle with public matters. —
司库随即没有继续盘问他,而是对他发表了一番长篇大论,谈到一个不知名的市民干涉公共事务的危险。 —

He complicated this exordium by an exposition in which he painted the power and the deeds of the cardinal, that incomparable minister, that conqueror of past minister, that conqueror of past ministers, that example for ministers to come–deeds and power which none could thwart with impunity.
他在这个开场白中又涉及了一段关于吕后的权力和行为的论述,这位无与伦比的大臣,过去的大臣的征服者,未来大臣的楷模–那些不容谁轻举妄动的权力和行为。

After this second part of his discourse, fixing his hawk’s eye upon poor Bonacieux, he bade him reflect upon the gravity of his situation.
在谈过他演讲的第二部分后,他的鹰眼紧盯着可怜的邦纳谢,要求他深思自己处境的严重性。

The reflections of the mercer were already made; —
邦纳谢已经对这位司库的言论进行了深思; —

he cursed the instant when M. Laporte formed the idea of marrying him to his goddaughter had been received as Lady of the Linen to her Majesty.
他诅咒莫内尔 • 拉波特先生想到与他的教女结婚的念头,被接受为女王的亲信。

At bottom the character of M. Bonacieux was one of profound selfishness mixed with sordid avarice, the whole seasoned with extreme cowardice. —
梅 • 博纳谢先生的性格基本上是深深的自私加上卑鄙的贪婪,整个人还带着极度的懦弱。 —

The love with which his young wife had inspired him was a secondary sentiment, and was not strong enough to contend with the primitive feelings we have just enumerated. —
他年轻妻子激发起的爱是一种次要的感情,并不足以与我们刚刚列举的原始感情相抗衡。 —

Bonacieux indeed reflected on what had just been said to him.
博纳谢确实在考虑刚才对他说过的话。

“But, Monsieur Commissary,” said he, calmly, “believe that I know and appreciate, more than anybody, the merit of the incomparable eminence by whom we have the honor to be governed.”
“但是,探员先生,”他平静地说,“请相信我比任何人都更了解和赏识我们有幸效忠于的那位无可匹敌的卓越人物的价值。”

“Indeed?” asked the commissary, with an air of doubt. —
“是吗?”探员疑惑地问道。 —

“If that is really so, how came you in the Bastille?”
“如果真是这样,你为何会在巴士底狱呢?”

“How I came there, or rather why I am there,” replied Bonacieux, “that is entirely impossible for me to tell you, because I don’t know myself; —
“我是怎么到那里的,或者更准确地说为什么我在那里,”博纳谢回答道,“我自己根本不可能告诉您,因为我自己也不知道, —

but to a certainty it is not for having, knowingly at least, disobliged Monsieur the Cardinal.”
但毫无疑问,我不是因为至少是蓄意得罪了红衣主教而被送进去的。”

“You must, nevertheless, have committed a crime, since you are here and are accused of high treason.”
“然而,你一定犯了罪,否则你怎么会在这里并被控告叛国罪呢?”

“Of high treason!” cried Bonacieux, terrified; “of high treason! —
“叛国罪!”博纳谢惊恐地说,“叛国罪! —

How is it possible for a poor mercer, who detests Huguenots and who abhors Spaniards, to be accused of high treason? —
一个厌恶胡格诺派并憎恨西班牙人的可怜布料商人怎么会被控叛国罪呢? —

Consider, monsieur, the thing is absolutely impossible.”
请考虑一下,先生,这事绝对不可能。”

“Monsieur Bonacieux,” said the commissary, looking at the accused as if his little eyes had the faculty of reading to the very depths of hearts, “you have a wife?”
“博纳谢先生,”探员看着被控告的人,仿佛他那双小眼睛有读懂人心的能力一般,“你有妻子?”

“Yes, monsieur,” replied the mercer, in a tremble, feeling that it was at this point affairs were likely to become perplexing; —
“是的,先生,”布料商人颤抖着回答,感到事情可能在这一点上变得复杂起来; —

“that is to say, I HAD one.”
“也就是说,我曾经有一个。”

“What, you ‘had one’? What have you done with her, then, if you have her no longer?”
“什么,你‘曾经有一个’?那么,你现在怎么办她了?”

“They have abducted her, monsieur.”
“他们绑架了她,先生。”

“They have abducted her? Ah!”
“他们绑架了她?啊!”

Bonacieux inferred from this “Ah” that the affair grew more and more intricate.
波纳谢思从这个“啊”中推断出事情变得越来越复杂。

“They have abducted her,” added the commissary; —
“他们绑架了她,”审判官补充道; —

“and do you know the man who has committed this deed?”
“你知道犯了这种行为的人是谁吗?”

“I think I know him.”
“我想我知道他是谁。”

“Who is he?”
“他是谁?”

“Remember that I affirm nothing, Monsieur the Commissary, and that I only suspect.”
“请记住,审判官先生,我什么也没有断言,我只是怀疑。”

“Whom do you suspect? Come, answer freely.”
“你怀疑谁?来吧,坦诚回答。”

M. Bonacieux was in the greatest perplexity possible. —
波纳谢思陷入了极大的困惑。 —

Had he better deny everything or tell everything? —
他是不是应该全盘否认呢,还是应该把一切都告诉? —

By denying all, it might be suspected that he must know too much to avow; —
如果否认一切,可能会被怀疑他知道太多而不敢承认; —

by confessing all he might prove his good will. —
如果一切坦白,他可能证明自己的善意。 —

He decided, then, to tell all.
于是,他决定把一切都告诉出来。

“I suspect,” said he, “a tall, dark man, of lofty carriage, who has the air of a great lord. —
“我怀疑,”他说,“一个高大帅气的高贵男子,看起来像个大领主。 —

He has followed us several times, as I think, when I have waited for my wife at the wicket of the Louvre to escort her home.”
我认为他在我等待妻子在卢浮宫的小门口时,已经跟踪过我们几次,要护送她回家。”

The commissary now appeared to experience a little uneasiness.
现在,审判员似乎有些不安。

“And his name?” said he.
“他的名字呢?”他问道。

“Oh, as to his name, I know nothing about it; —
“噢,至于他的名字,我一无所知; —

but if I were ever to meet him, I should recognize him in an instant, I will answer for it, were he among a thousand persons.”
但如果我遇见他,我会立刻认出他,我敢打赌,他在千人中也不会认错。”

The face of the commissary grew still darker.
审判官的脸色变得更加阴沉。

“You should recognize him among a thousand, say you?” continued he.
“你说你能在千人之中认出他吗?”他继续说道。

“That is to say,” cried Bonacieux, who saw he had taken a false step, “that is to say–”
“也就是说”,看到自己走错了一步的波纳谢紧接着说,“也就是说——”

“You have answered that you should recognize him,” said the commissary. —
审判官说,“你已经回答说你能认出他。” —

“That is all very well, and enough for today; —
“好吧,今天就到这里吧; —

before we proceed further, someone must be informed that you know the ravisher of your wife.”
在我们进一步进行之前,必须有人知道你认出了你妻子的掳走者。”

“But I have not told you that I know him!” —
但我并没有告诉你我认出他了!” —

cried Bonacieux, in despair. “I told you, on the contrary–”
波纳谢绝望地哭道。“我告诉你的正相反——”

“Take away the prisoner,” said the commissary to the two guards.
审判官对两名卫兵说:“把囚犯带走。”

“Where must we place him?” demanded the chief.
首领问道:“我们该把他放在哪里?”

“In a dungeon.”
“下地牢。”

“Which?”
“哪一个?”

“Goof Lord! In the first one handy, provided it is safe,” said the commissary, with an indifference which penetrated poor Bonacieux with horror.
审判官漠不关心地说:“天哪!找一个近的,只要安全就行。”

“Alas, alas!” said he to himself, “misfortune is over my head; —
他自言自语地说:“哎呀,哎呀!不幸临头了; —

my wife must have committed some frightful crime. —
我的妻子一定犯了某种可怕的罪行。” —

They believe me her accomplice, and will punish me with her. She must have spoken; —
他们认为我是她的同谋,会和她一起受到惩罚。她一定已经说了; —

she must have confessed everything–a woman is so weak! A dungeon! The first he comes to! —
她一定已经坦白了一切–女人是如此脆弱!一个地牢!他就会被带去的第一个地方! —

That’s it! A night is soon passed; and tomorrow to the wheel, to the gallows! —
就是这样!一个晚上很快就会过去;明天就要去受刑车,去绞刑架! —

Oh, my God, my God, have pity on me!”
哦,我的上帝,我的上帝,怜悯我吧!

Without listening the least in the world to the lamentations of M. Bonacieux–lamentations to which, besides, they must have been pretty well accustomed–the two guards took the prisoner each by an arm, and led him away, while the commissary wrote a letter in haste and dispatched it by an officer in waiting.
根本不去听宝纳西厄斯先生的哀叹–他们已经听惯了那种哀叹–两名卫兵一人扶着囚犯一个胳膊把他带走,而审判官则匆忙写了一封信,请一个在等候中的军官送了出去。

Bonacieux could not close his eyes; not because his dungeon was so very disagreeable, but because his uneasiness was so great. —
宝纳西厄斯无法合上眼睛;不是因为他的牢房很不舒适,而是因为他的不安太厉害了。 —

He sat all night on his stool, starting at the least noise; —
他整夜坐在凳子上,听到最轻微的声音就会惊跳; —

and when the first rays of the sun penetrated into his chamber, the dawn itself appeared to him to have taken funereal tints.
当第一缕阳光照进他的房间时,黎明本身似乎对他来说都带着殡葬的色彩。

All at once he heard his bolts drawn, and made a terrified bound. —
突然间他听到自己的门栓被拉开,吓得他一个激灵。 —

He believed they were come to conduct him to the scaffold; —
他以为他们来带他走上断头台; —

so that when he saw merely and simply, instead of the executioner he expected, only his commissary of the preceding evening, attended by his clerk, he was ready to embrace them both.
所以当他看到昨晚的法官和他的书记员,而不是他预料中的刽子手时,他几乎要拥抱他们。

“Your affair has become more complicated since yesterday evening, my good man, and I advise you to tell the whole truth; —
“自昨晚以来,你的情况变得更加复杂,我的好人,我建议你坦白一切; —

for your repentance alone can remove the anger of the cardinal.”
因为只有你的悔悟才能消除枢机主教的愤怒。”

“Why, I am ready to tell everything,” cried Bonacieux, “at least, all that I know. —
“为什么,我愿意告诉一切,”宝纳西厄斯喊道,”至少,我知道的一切。 —

Interrogate me, I entreat you!”
“审问我吧,我求求你!”

“Where is your wife, in the first place?”
“你的妻子到底在哪里呢?”

“Why, did not I tell you she had been stolen from me?”
“为什么,我不是告诉过你她被人绑架了吗?”

“Yes, but yesterday at five o’clock in the afternoon, thanks to you, she escaped.”
“是的,但是昨天下午五点,多亏了你,她逃脱了。”

“My wife escaped!” cried Bonacieux. “Oh, unfortunate creature! —
“我的妻子逃走了!”邦纳谢先生大叫道。”哦,不幸的女人! —

Monsieur, if she has escaped, it is not my fault, I swear.”
“先生,如果她逃掉了,那不是我的错,我发誓。”

“What business had you, then, to go into the chamber of Monsieur D’Artagnan, your neighbor, with whom you had a long conference during the day?”
“那么,你有什么事情要到你邻居,那位你在白天长时间会晤过的达达尼先生的房间里去呢?”

“Ah, yes, Monsieur Commissary; yes, that is true, and I confess that I was in the wrong. —
“啊,是的,警官先生;是的,那是真的,我承认我做错了。 —

I did go to Monsieur D’Artagnan’s.”
我确实去了达达尼先生那里。”

“What was the aim of that visit?”
“那次拜访的目的是什么?”

“To beg him to assist me in finding my wife. —
“请求他帮助我找到妻子。 —

I believed I had a right to endeavor to find her. —
我相信我有权力努力找到她。 —

I was deceived, as it appears, and I ask your pardon.”
看起来我被欺骗了,我请求您的原谅。”

“And what did Monsieur d’Artagnan reply?”
“达达尼先生回答了什么?”

“Monsieur d’Artagnan promised me his assistance; but I soon found out that he was betraying me.”
“达达尼先生答应帮助我;但我很快发现他在背叛我。”

“You impose upon justice. Monsieur d’Artagnan made a compact with you; —
“你在误导司法。达达尼先生与你达成了协议;” —

and in virtue of that compact put to flight the police who had arrested your wife, and has placed her beyond reach.”
根据那个协议,你击退了逮捕你妻子的警察,并将她置于难以触及的地方。

“Fortunately, Monsieur d’Artagnan is in our hands, and you shall be confronted with him.”
“幸运的是,达达尼昂先生已经被我们拘留,你将与他对质。”

“By my faith, I ask no better,” cried Bonacieux; —
“凭我的信仰,我求之不得。”波纳谢 —

“I shall not be sorry to see the face of an acquaintance.”
“见到一个熟人脸孔,我会感到高兴的。”

“Bring in the Monsieur d’Artagnan,” said the commissary to the guards. The two guards led in Athos.
“把达达尼昂先生带进来,”巡捕对卫兵说。两名卫兵带着阿索斯进来。

“Monsieur d’Artagnan,” said the commissary, addressing Athos, “declare all that passed yesterday between you and Monsieur.”
“达达尼昂先生,”巡捕对阿索斯说,”请叙述昨天你和先生之间发生的一切。”

“But,” cried Bonacieux, “this is not Monsieur d’Artagnan whom you show me.”
“但是,”波纳谢喊道,”你给我展示的不是达达尼昂先生。”

“What! Not Monsieur d’Artagnan?” exclaimed the commissary.
“什么!不是达达尼昂先生?”巡捕惊呼道。

“Not the least in the world,” replied Bonacieux.
“一点也不是,”波纳谢回答。

“What is this gentleman’s name?” asked the commissary.
“这位先生叫什么名字?”巡捕问道。

“I cannot tell you; I don’t know him.”
“我不知道;我不认识他。”

“How! You don’t know him?”
“什么!你不认识他?”

“No.”
“没有。”

“Did you never see him?”
“你从未见过他?”

“Yes, I have seen him, but I don’t know what he calls himself.”
“见过,但我不知道他叫什么名字。”

“Your name?” replied the commissary.
“你的名字?”审判问道。

“Athos,” replied the Musketeer.
“阿多斯,”骑士回答道。

“But that is not a man’s name; that is the name of a mountain,” cried the poor questioner, who began to lose his head.
“但那不是一个男子的名字;那是一座山的名字,”可怜的询问者呼喊道,开始有些慌乱。

“That is my name,” said Athos, quietly.
“那是我的名字,”阿多斯平静地说。

“But you said that your name was D’Artagnan.”
“但你说你的名字是达达尼昂。”

“Who, I?”
“谁,我吗?”

“Yes, you.”
“是的,你。”

“Somebody said to me, ‘You are Monsieur d’Artagnan?’ I answered, ‘You think so?’ —
“有人对我说,‘你是达达尼昂先生?’我回答道,‘你这么认为?’” —

My guards exclaimed that they were sure of it. —
“我的卫兵们声称他们确定是的。” —

I did not wish to contradict them; besides, I might be deceived.”
“我不愿意反驳他们;此外,我也可能被误导。”

“Monsieur, you insult the majesty of justice.”
“先生,你侮辱了法庭的尊严。”

“Not at all,” said Athos, calmly.
“一点也不,”阿多斯平静地说。

“You are Monsieur d’Artagnan.”
“你是达达尼昂先生。”

“You see, monsieur, that you say it again.”
“你看,先生,你又说了一遍。”

“But I tell you, Monsieur Commissary,” cried Bonacieux, in his turn, “there is not the least doubt about the matter. —
“但我告诉你,审判先生,”波纳谢在他的回合里喊道,“这件事毫无疑问。” —

Monsieur d’Artagnan is my tenant, although he does not pay me my rent–and even better on that account ought I to know him. —
达达尼先生是我的房客,尽管他没有支付我的房租–正因为如此我更应该认识他。 —

Monsieur Dessessart’s Guards, and this gentleman is in the company of Monsieur de Treville’s Musketeers. —
达桑先生的卫兵,这位绅士是特雷维尔先生的麾下麾下士兵中的一员。 —

Look at his uniform, Monsieur Commissary, look at his uniform!”
“看他的制服,警官先生,看他的制服!”

“That’s true,” murmured the commissary; “PARDIEU, that’s true.”
“是的,“警官喃喃地说,”天啊,这是真的。”

At this moment the door was opened quickly, and a messenger, introduced by one of the gatekeepers of the Bastille, gave a letter to the commissary.
就在这时,门被打开,一个信使迅速进来,被巴士底狱的看门人之一引领,把一封信交给了警官。

“Oh, unhappy woman!” cried the commissary.
“哦,可怜的女人!”警官大喊。

“How? What do you say? Of whom do you speak? It is not of my wife, I hope!”
“什么?你说什么?你指的是谁?我希望不是指我的妻子!”

“On the contrary, it is of her. Yours is a pretty business.”
“正是她。你的事情可真是一团糟。”

“But,” said the agitated mercer, “do me the pleasure, monsieur, to tell me how my own proper affair can become worse by anything my wife does while I am in prison?”
“但是,“焦虑的纱贩问道,”请您告诉我,当我在监狱的时候,我妻子做的事怎么可能让我的事情变得更糟?”

“Because that which she does is part of a plan concerted between you–of an infernal plan.”
“因为她所做的是你们俩合谋的一部分–一个可恶的计划。”

“I swear to you, Monsieur Commissary, that you are in the profoundest error, that I know nothing in the world about what my wife had to do, that I am entirely a stranger to what she has done; —
“警官先生,我向您发誓,您完全误会了,我对我妻子所做的事毫不知情,我完全不知道她做了什么; —

and that if she has committed any follies, I renounce her, I abjure her, I curse her!”
如果她犯了任何愚蠢的事,我跟她断绝关系,我与她决裂,我诅咒她!”

“Bah!” said Athos to the commissary, “if you have no more need of me, send me somewhere. —
“呸!” 阿索对警官说,”如果您不再需要我,把我送去别的地方吧。 —

Your Monsieur Bonacieux is very tiresome.”
你的邦纳谢是个令人厌烦的人。”

The commissary designated by the same gesture Athos and Bonacieux, “Let them be guarded more closely than ever.”
警官用同样的手势指了指阿索和邦纳谢,”把他们比以往更加严密地看管。”

“And yet,” said Athos, with his habitual calmness, “if it be Monsieur d’Artagnan who is concerned in this matter, I do not perceive how I can take his place.”
“然而,”阿多斯依旧保持着他的平静说道,“如果这件事关系到达达尼昂先生,我不明白我如何能替他出面。”

“Do as I bade you,” cried the commissary, “and preserve absolute secrecy. You understand!”
“按照我吩咐你的做,”太监喊道,“保持绝对的保密。明白吗!”

Athos shrugged his shoulders, and followed his guards silently, while M. Bonacieux uttered lamentations enough to break the heart of a tiger.
阿多斯耸了耸肩,默默地跟着他的卫兵,而波纳谢则发出了足以撕裂一只老虎的悲从中来。

They locked the mercer in the same dungeon where he had passed the night, and left him to himself during the day. —
他们把米谷商人锁在了他之前过夜的同一个地牢里,让他一整天独自一人。 —

Bonacieux wept all day, like a true mercer, not being at all a military man, as he himself informed us. —
波纳谢整天都在哭泣,像一个真正的米谷商人一样,因为他根本不是个军人,他自己告诉我们的。 —

In the evening, about nine o’clock, at the moment he had made up his mind to go to bed, he heard steps in his corridor. —
在晚上约九点钟,就在他决定上床睡觉的时候,他听到走廊中传来脚步声。 —

These steps drew near to his dungeon, the door was thrown open, and the guards appeared.
这些脚步声越来越近他的牢房,门被推开,卫兵出现了。

“Follow me,” said an officer, who came up behind the guards.
“跟我来,”一个冲在卫兵后面的军官说道。

“Follow you!” cried Bonacieux, “follow you at this hour! Where, my God?”
“跟你来!”波纳谢喊道,“在这个时候跟你来!去哪里,我的上帝?”

“Where we have orders to lead you.”
“我们接到命令带你去的地方。”

“But that is not an answer.”
“但那不是一个答案。”

“It is, nevertheless, the only one we can give.”
“然而,那是我们能够给出的唯一答案。”

“Ah, my God, my God!” murmured the poor mercer, “now, indeed, I am lost!” —
“啊,我的上帝,我的上帝!”可怜的米谷商人低声说道,“现在,我真的完了!” —

And he followed the guards who came for him, mechanically and without resistance.
他机械地、毫无抵抗地跟着来接他的卫兵走了。

He passed along the same corridor as before, crossed one court, then a second side of a building; —
他沿着之前的那条走廊走过,穿过第一个庭院,然后是建筑物的第二侧; —

at length, at the gate of the entrance court he found a carriage surrounded by four guards on horseback. —
最后,在入口庭院的大门口,他发现一辆四周有四名骑兵警卫包围的马车。 —

They made him enter this carriage, the officer placed himself by his side, the door was locked, and they were left in a rolling prison. —
他们让他上了这辆马车,军官坐在他身边,车门被锁上,他们被关在了一个移动的监狱里。 —

The carriage was put in motion as slowly as a funeral car. —
马车缓缓地开动着,就像一个送葬的车一样。 —

Through the closely fastened windows the prisoner could perceive the houses and the pavement, that was all; —
透过密闭的窗户,囚犯只能看到房子和街道,仅此而已; —

but, true Parisian as he was, Bonacieux could recognize every street by the milestones, the signs, and the lamps. —
但作为一个真正的巴黎人,博纳斯尤能凭里程碑、标识牌和路灯认出每条街道。 —

At the moment of arriving at St. Paul–the spot where such as were condemned at the Bastille were executed–he was near fainting and crossed himself twice. —
到达圣保罗时,他几近晕倒,交叉了两次圣架。 —

He thought the carriage was about to stop there. —
他以为马车要停下了。 —

The carriage, however, passed on.
然而,马车继续前行。

Farther on, a still greater terror seized him on passing by the cemetery of St. Jean, where state criminals were buried. —
经过圣让墓地时,他被更大的恐惧所困,那里埋葬着国家罪犯。 —

One thing, however, reassured him; he remembered that before they were buried their heads were generally cut off, and he felt that his head was still on his shoulders. —
然而有一件事让他稍微放心;他记得他们被埋葬前常常被砍头,他感觉自己的头还在脖子上。 —

But when he saw the carriage take the way to La Greve, when he perceived the pointed roof of the Hotel de Ville, and the carriage passed under the arcade, he believed it was over with him. —
但当他看到马车驶向拉格雷夫时,看到市政厅的尖顶,马车通过拱廊时,他相信自己的命运已尽。 —

He wished to confess to the officer, and upon his refusal, uttered such pitiable cries that the officer told him that if he continued to deafen him thus, he should put a gag in his mouth.
他想对军官忏悔,当军官拒绝时,他发出了如此可怜的哭声,以至于军官告诉他,如果他继续这样让他聋了耳朵,他会给他塞上口球。

This measure somewhat reassured Bonacieux. —
这个举措让博纳斯尤稍微放心。 —

If they meant to execute him at La Greve, it could scarcely be worth while to gag him, as they had nearly reached the place of execution. —
如果他们打算在拉格雷夫处决他,几乎不值得给他塞口球,因为他们几乎到达了处决地点。 —

Indeed, the carriage crossed the fatal spot without stopping. —
的确,马车在不停下的情况下穿过了致命的地点。 —

There remained, then, no other place to fear but the Traitor’s Cross; —
那么,除了叛徒十字架外,再也没有其他可怕的地方了; —

the carriage was taking the direct road to it.
马车正沿着直路向那里驶去。

This time there was no longer any doubt; it was at the Traitor’s Cross that lesser criminals were executed. —
这次不再有任何疑虑;小罪犯被处决的地方就是叛徒十字架。 —

Bonacieux had flattered himself in believing himself worthy of St. Paul or of the Place de Greve; —
波纳谢相信自己足以配得上圣保罗广场或格雷夫广场; —

it was at the Traitor’s Cross that his journey and his destiny were about to end! —
他的旅程和命运终将在叛徒十字架结束! —

He could not yet see that dreadful cross, but he felt somehow as if it were coming to meet him. —
他还看不见那可怕的十字架,但不知为何,总觉得它在向他走来。 —

When he was within twenty paces of it, he heard a noise of people and the carriage stopped. —
当他离它二十步远时,听到人群的声音,马车停了下来。 —

This was more than poor Bonacieux could endure, depressed as he was by the successive emotions which he had experienced; —
这已经是可怜的波纳谢所能承受的了,他被经历过的连续情绪压垮; —

he uttered a feeble groan which night have been taken for the last sigh of a dying man, and fainted.
他发出一声微弱的呻吟,几乎是一个垂死之人的最后一口气,就这样晕了过去。