DREAM OF VENGEANCE
复仇之梦

That evening Milady gave orders that when M. D’Artagnan came as usual, he should be immediately admitted; —
那天晚上,Milady下令,等M. D’Artagnan像往常一样来时,立即放行他; —

but he did not come.
但他并未前来。

The next day Kitty went to see the young man again, and related to him all that had passed on the preceding evening. —
第二天,Kitty再次去见那位年轻人,并向他讲述了前一晚发生的一切。 —

D’Artagnan smiled; this jealous anger of Milady was his revenge.
D’Artagnan微笑着;Milady的这种嫉妒之情就是他的报复。

That evening Milady was still more impatient than on the preceding evening. —
那天晚上,Milady比前一晚还要不耐烦。 —

She renewed the order relative to the Gascon; —
她重申了有关那位加斯科涅的命令; —

but as before she expected him in vain.
但她像之前一样徒劳地期待着他的到来。

The next morning, when Kitty presented herself at D’Artagnan’s, she was no longer joyous and alert as on the two preceding days; —
第二天早上,当基蒂出现在达达尼昂那里时,她已不再像前两天那样快乐和机灵; —

but on the contrary sad as death.
相反,她悲伤如死。

D’Artagnan asked the poor girl what was the matter with her; —
达达尼昂问这个可怜的女孩怎么了; —

but she, as her only reply, drew a letter from her pocket and gave it to him.
但她只是从口袋里掏出一封信递给他,作为唯一的回复。

This letter was in Milady’s handwriting; only this time it was addressed to M. D’Artagnan, and not to M. de Wardes.
这封信是密莉迪的手写信;只是这一次它是写给达达尼昂先生,而不是写给瓦尔德斯先生。

He opened it and read as follows:
他打开信读道:

Dear M. d’Artagnan, It is wrong thus to neglect your friends, particularly at the moment you are about to leave them for so long a time. —
亲爱的达达尼昂先生,这样忽视你的朋友是错的,特别是你即将离开他们那么长时间的时刻。 —

My brother-in-law and myself expected you yesterday and the day before, but in vain. —
我和我姐夫昨天和前天都等你,但徒劳无果。 —

Will it be the same this evening?
今晚会不会也是如此?

Your very grateful, Milady Clarik
你非常感激的密莉迪·克拉里克

“That’s all very simple,” said D’Artagnan; “I expected this letter. —
“这很简单,”达达尼昂说,“我料到了这封信。 —

My credit rises by the fall of that of the Comte de Wardes.”
我的信用因瓦尔德斯伯爵的信用而被提高。”

“And will you go?” asked Kitty.
“那你会去吗?”基蒂问道。

“Listen to me, my dear girl,” said the Gascon, who sought for an excuse in his own eyes for breaking the promise he had made Athos; —
“听我说,亲爱的姑娘,”这位加斯科尼说,试图找到一个自己眼中打破他对阿索斯的承诺的借口; —

“you must understand it would be impolitic not to accept such a positive invitation. —
“你必须明白,不接受这样积极的邀请是不明智的。” —

Milady, not seeing me come again, would not be able to understand what could cause the interruption of my visits, and might suspect something; —
“小姐,如果再也不见到我,会搞不清楚是什么原因导致了我的访问中断,她可能会怀疑到什么程度的报复?” —

who could say how far the vengeance of such a woman would go?”
“谁能说得准这样一个女人的报复会走多远?”

“Oh, my God!” said Kitty, “you know how to represent things in such a way that you are always in the right. —
“哦,我的上帝!” 凯蒂说,“你总是擅长用一种让你永远正确的方式来表达事情。 —

You are going now to pay your court to her again, and if this time you succeed in pleasing her in your own name and with your own face, it will be much worse than before.”
“你现在要再去巴结她,如果这一次成功地用你自己的名字和面孔取悦她,那会比以前更糟糕。”

Instinct made poor Kitty guess a part of what was to happen. —
可怜的凯蒂本能地猜到了即将发生的事情的一部分。 —

D’Artagnan reassured her as well as he could, and promised to remain insensible to the seductions of Milady.
达’Artagnan尽力安慰她,并承诺对Milady的诱惑保持冷漠。

He desired Kitty to tell her mistress that he could not be more grateful for her kindnesses than he was, and that he would be obedient to her orders. —
他要凯蒂告诉她的主人,他对她的恩惠感激万分,会听从她的命令。 —

He did not dare to write for fear of not being able–to such experienced eyes as those of Milady–to disguise his writing sufficiently.
他不敢写信,因为担心他无法–对于像Milady这样经验丰富的眼睛–充分伪装他的书写。

As nine o’clock sounded, D’Artagnan was at the Place Royale. —
九点钟响起时,达’Artagnan在Place Royale。 —

It was evident that the servants who waited in the antechamber were warned, for as soon as D’Artagnan appeared, before even he had asked if Milady were visible, one of them ran to announce him.
显然,等候在前厅的仆人受到了警告,因为当达’Artagnan出现时,甚至在他问Milady是否可见之前,其中一位就跑去通知了她。

“Show him in,” said Milady, in a quick tone, but so piercing that D’Artagnan heard her in the antechamber.
“请让他进来,” Milady 用一种急促但尖锐的语气说,以致达’Artagnan在前厅就能听见她。

He was introduced.
他被介绍进去。

“I am at home to nobody,” said Milady; “observe, to nobody.” The servant went out.
“对任何人我都不在家,” Milady说;“注意,对任何人。” 仆人出去了。

D’Artagnan cast an inquiring glance at Milady. —
达’Artagnan向Milady投去询问的目光。 —

She was pale, and looked fatigued, either from tears or want of sleep. —
她脸色苍白,看起来疲倦不堪,可能是因为眼泪或是缺乏睡眠。 —

The number of lights had been intentionally diminished, but the young woman could not conceal the traces of the fever which had devoured her for two days.
灯光数量被故意减少,但那位年轻女子无法掩饰已经折磨她两天的发热痕迹。

D’Artagnan approached her with his usual gallantry. —
达达尼昂以他平常的殷勤走近她。 —

She then made an extraordinary effort to receive him, but never did a more distressed countenance give the lie to a more amiable smile.
她竭力要给他一个友好的微笑,但在一张更加痛苦的脸上没能隐藏。

To the questions which D’Artagnan put concerning her health, she replied, “Bad, very bad.”
达达尼昂询问她的健康状况,她回答说:“糟糕,非常糟糕。”

“Then,” replied he, “my visit is ill-timed; —
“那么,”他回答道,“我来访的时机不对; —

you, no doubt, stand in need of repose, and I will withdraw.”
你无疑需要休息,我就撤退吧。”

“No. no!” said Milady. “On the contrary, stay, Monsieur D’Artagnan; —
“不,不!”密莱迪说,“相反,达达尼昂先生,请留下; —

your agreeable company will divert me.”
你的愉快陪伴会让我开心。”

“Oh, oh!” thought D’Artagnan. “She has never been so kind before. On guard!”
“哦,哦!”达达尼昂心想。“她从未如此友好过。小心!”

Milady assumed the most agreeable air possible, and conversed with more than her usual brilliancy. —
密莱迪摆出尽可能愉快的姿态,并以比平常更加灿烂的口才交谈。 —

At the same time the fever, which for an instant abandoned her, returned to give luster to her eyes, color to her cheeks, and vermillion to her lips. —
与此同时,暂且离开她的热病回归,使她眼中闪烁着光芒,脸颊泛起红晕,嘴唇涂抹胭脂。 —

D’Artagnan was again in the presence of the Circe who had before surrounded him with her enchantments. —
达达尼昂再次置身于曾经用魅力环绕他的海妖面前。 —

His love, which he believed to be extinct but which was only asleep, awoke again in his heart. —
他认为自己已经熄灭的爱情重新在心中苏醒。 —

Milady smiled, and D’Artagnan felt that he could damn himself for that smile. —
密莱迪微笑了,达达尼昂感到他可以为那微笑而堕落。 —

There was a moment at which he felt something like remorse.
有一个时刻,他感到了类似懊悔的情绪。

By degrees, Milady became more communicative. She asked D’Artagnan if he had a mistress.
渐渐地,密莱迪变得更加健谈。她问达达尼昂是否有情妇。

“Alas!” said D’Artagnan, with the most sentimental air he could assume, “can you be cruel enough to put such a question to me–to me, who, from the moment I saw you, have only breathed and sighed through you and for you?”
“唉!“达达尼昂带着他能够假装的最多愁善感的神情说道,”你难道会如此残忍地问我这个问题吗?我,从看到你的那一刻起,只为你而呼吸、为你而叹息。”

Milady smiled with a strange smile.
密莱迪带着一种奇怪的微笑。

“Then you love me?” said she.
“那么你爱我?”她说。

“Have I any need to tell you so? Have you not perceived it?”
“难道我还需要告诉你吗?难道你没有感觉到吗?”

“It may be; but you know the more hearts are worth the capture, the more difficult they are to be won.”
“也许吧,但你知道,心灵越值得征服,就越难以拥有。”

“Oh, difficulties do not affright me,” said D’Artagnan. —
“困难并不会让我畏惧。”达达尼昂说。 —

“I shrink before nothing but impossibilities.”
“我只害怕不可能的事情。”

“Nothing is impossible,” replied Milady, “to true love.”
“对于真爱,没有什么是不可能的。”密莱迪回答道。

“Nothing, madame?”
“没有什么,夫人?”

“Nothing,” replied Milady.
“没有。”密莱迪回答。

“The devil!” thought D’Artagnan. “The note is changed. —
“该死!”达达尼昂心想。“情况变了。” —

Is she going to fall in love with me, by chance, this fair inconstant; —
“这位美丽的善变者会不会无意中爱上我呢; —

and will she be disposed to give me myself another sapphire like that which she gave me for De Wardes?”
她会不会愿意再给我一个类似她给德瓦德斯的那颗蓝宝石呢?”

D’Artagnan rapidly drew his seat nearer to Milady’s.
达达尼昂迅速将座位移到密莱迪旁边。

“Well, now,” she said, “let us see what you would do to prove this love of which you speak.”
“好吧,”她说,“让我们看看你会为了证明你所说的爱情做些什么。”

“All that could be required of me. Order; I am ready.”
“任何事都可以。命令吧;我准备好。”

“For everything?”
“什么都可以吗?”

“For everything,” cried D’Artagnan, who knew beforehand that he had not much to risk in engaging himself thus.
“任何事!”达达尼昂喊道,事先知道在这样承诺时没有太多风险。

“Well, now let us talk a little seriously,” said Milady, in her turn drawing her armchair nearer to D’Artagnan’s chair.
“好了,现在让我们认真谈谈,”密莱迪说,转过自己的扶手椅靠近达达尼昂的椅子。

“I am all attention, madame,” said he.
“我全神贯注,夫人,”他说。

Milady remained thoughtful and undecided for a moment; —
米莱迪想了一会儿,陷入沉思和犹豫之中; —

then, as if appearing to have formed a resolution, she said, “I have an enemy.”
然后,仿佛下定了决心,她说道:“我有一个敌人。”

“You, madame!” said D’Artagnan, affecting surprise; —
“您,夫人!”达达尼昂假装惊讶地说; —

“is that possible, my God?–good and beautiful as you are!”
“这真的可能吗,我的上帝?像您这么善良美丽的人!”

“A mortal enemy.”
“一个死敌。”

“Indeed!”
“真的吗!”

“An enemy who has insulted me so cruelly that between him and me it is war to the death. —
“一个曾如此残酷凌辱我的敌人,使得在他和我之间变成了生死斗争。 —

May I reckon on you as an auxiliary?”
我可以把你当做我的助手吗?”

D’Artagnan at once perceived the ground which the vindictive creature wished to reach.
达达尼昂立刻意识到这个报复心强的人想要达到的目的。

“You may, madame,” said he, with emphasis. “My arm and my life belong to you, like my love.”
“你可以的,夫人,”他强调说道。“我的手臂和性命属于您,如同我的爱一样。”

“Then,” said Milady, “since you are as generous as you are loving–”
“那么,”米莱迪说,“既然您如此慷慨又如此深情。”

She stopped.
她停顿了一下。

“Well?” demanded D’Artagnan.
“什么?”达达尼昂要求道。

“Well,” replied Milady, after a moment of silence, “from the present time, cease to talk of impossibilities.”
“好吧,”米莱迪沉默片刻后回答道,“从现在起,不要再提及不可能的事情。”

“Do not overwhelm me with happiness,” cried D’Artagnan, throwing himself on his knees, and covering with kisses the hands abandoned to him.
“不要让我感到幸福得无法自持,”达达尼昂叫道,跪在地上,紧紧吻着她放在他手上的手。

“Avenge me of that infamous De Wardes,” said Milady, between her teeth, “and I shall soon know how to get rid of you–you double idiot, you animated sword blade!”
“为我报仇,对付那个臭名昭著的德瓦尔德斯,”米莱迪咬紧牙齿说,“我很快就会知道如何摆脱你,你这个双倍的白痴,你这把活剑刃!”

“Fall voluntarily into my arms, hypocritical and dangerous woman,” said D’Artagnan, likewise to himself, “after having abused me with such effrontery, and afterward I will laugh at you with him whom you wish me to kill.”
“虚伪而危险的女人,愿意主动投入我的怀抱吧,”达达尼安同样在心里说,“在如此厚颜无耻地辱骂我之后,然后我会和你所希望我杀死的人一起嘲笑你。”

D’Artagnan lifted up his head.
达达尼安抬起头来。

“I am ready,” said he.
“我准备好了,”他说。

“You have understood me, then, dear Monsieur D’Artagnan” said Milady.
“你明白我了,亲爱的达达尼安先生,”米莱迪说。

“I could interpret one of your looks.”
“我可以理解你的一个眼神。”

“Then you would employ for me your arm which has already acquired so much renown?”
“那么你会为我使用你已经赢得如此多声誉的手臂?”

“Instantly!”
“立刻就会!”

“But on my part,” said Milady, “how should I repay such a service? —
“但从我这里,”米莱迪说,“我该如何回报这样的帮助呢? —

I know these lovers. They are men who do nothing for nothing.”
我了解这些情人们,他们是不会无偿付出的男人。”

“You know the only reply that I desire,” said D’Artagnan, “the only one worthy of you and of me!”
“你知道我所期望的唯一回答,”达达尼安说,“唯一值得你和我之间的!”

And he drew nearer to her.
他走近她。

She scarcely resisted.
她几乎没有反抗。

“Interested man!” cried she, smiling.
“好感男士!”她笑着说。

“Ah,” cried D’Artagnan, really carried away by the passion this woman had the power to kindle in his heart, “ah, that is because my happiness appears so impossible to me; —
“啊”,达达尼安喊道,这个女人在他心中激起的激情让他沉醉其中,“啊,那是因为我的幸福对我来说似乎是如此不可能的;” —

and I have such fear that it should fly away from me like a dream that I pant to make a reality of it.”
“我非常害怕,害怕它会像梦一样飞离我,以至于我气喘吁吁地努力使它成为现实。”

“Well, merit this pretended happiness, then!”
“好吧,配得上这种假装的幸福吗?”

“I am at your orders,” said D’Artagnan.
“我听候您的吩咐,”达达尼安说。

“Quite certain?” said Milady, with a last doubt.
“确定吗?”米莱迪最后还是有些疑虑。

“Only name to me the base man that has brought tears into your beautiful eyes!”
“告诉我那个让你美丽的眼睛流泪的卑鄙男人的名字!”

“Who told you that I had been weeping?” said she.
“谁告诉你我哭了?”她说。

“It appeared to me–”
“我看到了——”

“Such women as I never weep,” said Milady.
“像我这样的女人永远不会哭泣,”米莱迪说。

“So much the better! Come, tell me his name!”
“那就更好了!快,告诉我他的名字!”

“Remember that his name is all my secret.”
“记住他的名字就是我所有的秘密。”

“Yet I must know his name.”
“但我必须知道他的名字。”

“Yes, you must; see what confidence I have in you!”
“是的,你必须知道;看看我对你的信任有多大!”

“You overwhelm me with joy. What is his name?”
“你给我带来了无限的喜悦。他叫什么名字?”

“You know him.”
“你认识他。”

“Indeed.”
“的确。”

“Yes.
“是的。

“It is surely not one of my friends?” replied D’Artagnan, affecting hesitation in order to make her believe him ignorant.
“这肯定不是我的朋友之一吧?”达达尼昂回答说,假装犹豫以让她相信他对此一无所知。

“If it were one of your friends you would hesitate, then?” —
“如果是你的朋友,你会犹豫吗?”她问道。 —

cried Milady; and a threatening glance darted from her eyes.
米莱迪喝道,眼中闪现出一丝威胁。

“Not if it were my own brother!” cried D’Artagnan, as if carried away by his enthusiasm.
“即使是我自己的兄弟!”达达尼昂情不自禁地喊道,仿佛被自己的热情所席卷。

Our Gascon promised this without risk, for he knew all that was meant.
我们的加斯科尼答应而无风险,因为他知道这一切是什么意思。

“I love your devotedness,” said Milady.
“我爱你的虔诚,”米莱迪说。

“Alas, do you love nothing else in me?” asked D’Artagnan.
“哎呀,你还爱我其他什么?”达达尼昂问道。

“I love you also, YOU!” said she, taking his hand.
“我也爱你,你!”她说着,握住他的手。

The warm pressure made D’Artagnan tremble, as if by the touch that fever which consumed Milady attacked himself.
那温暖的触感让达达尼昂颤抖,仿佛米莱迪身上那股烧灼着她的狂热传到了他身上。

“You love me, you!” cried he. “Oh, if that were so, I should lose my reason!”
“你爱我,你!”他喊道。“哦,如果真是这样,我差点失去理智!”

And he folded her in his arms, She made no effort to remove her lips from his kisses; —
他将她搂进怀里,她没有反对他的吻; —

only she did not respond to them. Her lips were cold; —
只是她没有回应。她的唇冰冷; —

it appeared to D’Artagnan that he had embraced a statue.
达达尼昂感觉好像他拥抱的是一座雕像。

He was not the less intoxicated with joy, electrified by love. —
他依然被喜悦沉醉,被爱感电。 —

He almost believed in the tenderness of Milady; he almost believed in the crime of De Wardes. —
他几乎相信了Milady的温柔;他几乎相信了De Wardes的罪行。 —

If De Wardes had at that moment been under his hand, he would have killed him.
如果De Wardes当时在他手下,他会杀了他。

Milady seized the occasion,
Milady抓住了机会,

“His name is–” said she, in her turn.
“他的名字是–”她又说道。

“De Wardes; I know it,” cried D’Artagnan.
“De Wardes;我知道,”达达尼昂喊道。

“And how do you know it?” asked Milady, seizing both his hands, and endeavoring to read with her eyes to the bottom of his heart.
“你是怎么知道的?”Milady问道,抓住他的双手,努力用眼睛看透他的内心。

D’Artagnan felt he had allowed himself to be carried away, and that he had committed an error.
达达尼昂感觉自己被冲昏了头脑,犯了一个错误。

“Tell me, tell me, tell me, I say,” repeated Milady, “how do you know it?”
“告诉我,告诉我,说吧,”Milady重复道,“你是怎么知道的?”

“How do I know it?” said D’Artagnan.
“我怎么知道?”达达尼昂说。

“Yes.”
“是啊。”

“I know it because yesterday Monsieur de Wardes, in a saloon where I was, showed a ring which he said he had received from you.”
“我知道因为昨天De Wardes在我在的一个沙龙里展示了一个戒指,他说是你送给他的。”

“Wretch!” cried Milady.
“卑鄙!”Milady叫道。

The epithet, as may be easily understood, resounded to the very bottom of D’Artagnan’s heart.
正如可以轻易理解的那样,这个骂人的话深深地刺痛了达达尼昂的内心。

“Well?” continued she.
“那么?”她继续说。

“Well, I will avenge you of this wretch,” replied D’Artagnan, giving himself the airs of Don Japhet of Armenia.
“好吧,我会为你报仇这个恶棍,”达达尼昂说,摆出亚美尼亚的贾菲特先生的架势。

“Thanks, my brave friend!” cried Milady; “and when shall I be avenged?”
“谢谢你,我的勇敢朋友!”米莱迪喊道。“我何时才会被复仇?”

“Tomorrow–immediately–when you please!”
“明天——立刻——您愿意的话!”

Milady was about to cry out, “Immediately,” but she reflected that such precipitation would not be very gracious toward D’Artagnan.
米莱迪正要喊出“立刻”,但她想到这样匆忙的行动对达达尼昂来说并不十分体面。

Besides, she had a thousand precautions to take, a thousand counsels to give to her defender, in order that he might avoid explanations with the count before witnesses. —
除此之外,她还需要采取一千种预防措施,向她的保护者提供一千个忠告,以避免与众目睽睽的枢密院爵士解释。 —

All this was answered by an expression of D’Artagnan’s. —
达达尼昂用一种表情回答了所有这些。 —

“Tomorrow,” said he, “you will be avenged, or I shall be dead.”
“明天,”他说,“你将被复仇,要么我就死了。”

“No,” said she, “you will avenge me; but you will not be dead. He is a coward.”
“不,”她说,“你将为我复仇;但你不会死。他是懦夫。”

“With women, perhaps; but not with men. I know something of him.”
“对于女人,也许是这样;但对于男人不是。我对他了解一些。”

“But it seems you had not much reason to complain of your fortune in your contest with him.”
“但是你似乎在和他斗争中没有太多抱怨的理由。”

“Fortune is a courtesan; favorable yesterday, she may turn her back tomorrow.”
“命运是个妓女;昨天他对你有利,明天可能背叛你。”

“Which means that you now hesitate?”
“这意味着你现在犹豫不决?

“No, I do not hesitate; God forbid! But would it be just to allow me to go to a possible death without having given me at least something more than hope?”
“不,我不犹豫;愿天不容!但难道我去面对可能的死亡,不就至少要比希望得到更多的东西吗?”

Milady answered by a glance which said, “Is that all?–speak, then.” —
米莱迪用眼神回答了,意思是“就这些?——说吧。” —

And then accompanying the glance with explanatory words, “That is but too just,” said she, tenderly.
接着用解释性的词语附和着眼神,“这太公正了,”她温柔地说。

“Oh, you are an angel!” exclaimed the young man.
“哦,你是个天使!”年轻人惊叹道。

“Then all is agreed?” said she.
“那么一切都同意了?”她说。

“Except that which I ask of you, dear love.”
“除了我向你要求的东西,亲爱的。”

“But when I assure you that you may rely on my tenderness?”
“但当我向你保证你可以依靠我的温柔时?”

“I cannot wait till tomorrow.”
“我等不及明天了。”

“Silence! I hear my brother. It will be useless for him to find you here.”
“安静!我听到我哥哥了。如果他发现你在这里,将会毫无意义。”

She rang the bell and Kitty appeared.
她按铃,Kitty出现了。

“Go out this way,” said she, opening a small private door, “and come back at eleven o’clock; —
“从这边出去,”她打开了一扇小小的私人门,“并且在十一点回来; —

we will then terminate this conversation. —
我们将在那时结束这次谈话。 —

Kitty will conduct you to my chamber.”
Kitty会把你带到我的房间。”

The poor girl almost fainted at hearing these words.
这个可怜的女孩听到这些话几乎昏倒了。

“Well, mademoiselle, what are you thinking about, standing there like a statue? Do as I bid you: —
“那么,小姐,你在那里像雕塑一样在想什么?照我说的做: —

show the chevalier out; and this evening at eleven o’clock–you have heard what I said.”
领骑士出去;今晚十一点—你已经听到我说过的。”

“It appears that these appointments are all made for eleven o’clock,” thought D’Artagnan; —
“看起来所有的约会都是定在十一点,”达达尼昂想; —

“that’s a settled custom.”
“这是一个确定的习惯。”

Milady held out her hand to him, which he kissed tenderly.
米莱迪伸出手让他亲吻,他温柔地亲吻了。

367
“但是,” 他说着,尽快从基蒂的指责中撤退,”我不能胡闹。

“But,” said he, as he retired as quickly as possible from the reproaches of Kitty, “I must not play the fool. —
这个女人肯定是个大骗子。我必须小心。 —

This woman is certainly a great liar. I must take care.”
“I must take care.”