PLAN OF CAMPAIGN
战役计划

D’Artagnan went straight to M. de Treville’s. —
达达尼安径直去找特雷维尔先生。 —

He had reflected that in a few minutes the cardinal would be warned by this cursed stranger, who appeared to be his agent, and he judged, with reason, he had not a moment to lose.
他想到再过几分钟,这个可恶的陌生人会通知基督教徒,他判断出,毫不延误。

The heart of the young man overflowed with joy. —
这年轻人的心中充满了喜悦。 —

An opportunity presented itself to him in which there would be at the same time glory to be acquired, and money to be gained; —
一个机会出现在他面前,在那里可以同时获得荣耀和赚钱; —

and as a far higher encouragement, it brought him into close intimacy with a woman he adored. —
更高的鼓励是,这让他与他爱慕的女人更亲近。 —

This chance did, then, for him at once more than he would have dared to ask of Providence.
这次机会对他来说一下子就做到了比他敢于向命运要求的更多。

M. de Treville was in his saloon with his habitual court of gentlemen. —
特雷维尔先生和他的名流绅士们在客厅里。 —

D’Artagnan, who was known as a familiar of the house, went straight to his office, and sent word that he wished to see him on something of importance.
作为这个家里的熟人,达达尼安径直进入他的办公室,并传话说有重要事情要见他。

D’Artagnan had been there scarcely five minutes when M. de Treville entered. —
达达尼安来到那里不到五分钟,特雷维尔先生就进来了。 —

At the first glance, and by the joy which was painted on his countenance, the worthy captain plainly perceived that something new was on foot.
根据他面庞上洋溢着的喜悦,这位高尚的队长明显地察觉到,有什么新的事情在酝酿。

All the way along D’Artagnan had been consulting with himself whether he should place confidence in M. de Treville, or whether he should only ask him to give him CARTE BLANCHE for some secret affair. —
达达尼安一路上一直在考虑是否应该对特雷维尔先生坦白,或者是否只应该请求他给予他私下事务的CARTE BLANCHE。 —

But M. de Treville had always been so thoroughly his friend, had always been so devoted to the king and queen, and hated the cardinal so cordially, that the young man resolved to tell him everything.
但是,特雷维尔先生一直是他的忠实朋友,一直如此忠于国王和皇后,又如此痛恨主教,年轻人决定把一切都告诉他。

“Did you ask for me, my good friend?” said M. de Treville.
“你找我有什么事,我好朋友?” 特雷维尔先生说。

‘Yes, monsieur,” said D’Artagnan, lowering his voice, “than the honor, perhaps the life of the queen.”
“是的,先生,” 达达尼安压低声音说,“有关王后的荣耀,也许是生命。”

“What did you say?” asked M. de Treville, glancing round to see if they were surely alone, and then fixing his questioning look upon D’Artagnan.
“你说什么?”德·特雷维尔问道,环顾四周,确定他们确实独处,然后把怀疑的目光投向了达达尼昂。

“I say, monsieur, that chance has rendered me master of a secret–”
“我说,先生,机缘巧合使我得知了一个秘密–”

“Which you will guard, I hope, young man, as your life.”
“希望你会像护生命一样守住这个秘密,年轻人。”

“But which I must impart to you, monsieur, for you alone can assist me in the mission I have just received from her Majesty.”
“但这个秘密我必须告诉您,先生,因为只有您才能协助我完成刚刚收到的王后陛下的任务。”

“Is this secret your own?”
“这个秘密是你自己的吗?”

“No, monsieur; it is her Majesty’s.”
“不是,先生;这是王后陛下的秘密。”

“Are you authorized by her Majesty to communicate it to me?”
“你有王后陛下的授权向我透露吗?”

“No, monsieur, for, on the contrary, I am desired to preserve the profoundest mystery.”
“没有,先生,相反,我被要求保守最深的秘密。”

“Why, then, are you about to betray it to me?”
“那么你为什么要向我泄露?”

“Because, as I said, without you I can do nothing; —
“因为正如我所说,没有您我无能为力; —

and I am afraid you will refuse me the favor I come to ask if you do not know to what end I ask it.”
并且我担心如果你不知道我求之目的,你会拒绝我请求。”

“Keep your secret, young man, and tell me what you wish.”
“保留你的秘密,年轻人,告诉我你的愿望。”

“I wish you to obtain for me, from Monsieur Dessessart, leave of absence for fifteen days.”
“我希望您向德塞萨特先生为我请假十五天。”

“When?”
“什么时候?”

“This very night.”
“就在今晚。”

“You leave Paris?”
“你离开了巴黎?”

“I am going on a mission.”
“我要执行一项任务。”

“May you tell me whither?”
“可以告诉我目的地吗?”

“To London.”
“去伦敦。”

“Has anyone an interest in preventing your arrival there?”
“有人想阻止你抵达那里吗?”

“The cardinal, I believe, would give the world to prevent my success.”
“主教,我相信,会不惜一切阻止我的成功。”

“And you are going alone?”
“那你一个人去吗?”

“I am going alone.”
“我独自前往。”

“In that case you will not get beyond Bondy. I tell you so, by the faith of De Treville.”
“在这种情况下,你连邦迪都走不过去。我发誓,德特雷维尔会这么告诉你的。”

“How so?”
“怎么说?”

“You will be assassinated.”
“你会被暗杀。”

“And I shall die in the performance of my duty.”
“我会在履行我的职责时而亡。”

“But your mission will not be accomplished.”
“但你的任务将不能完成。”

“That is true,” replied D’Artagnan.
“是的,”达达尼昂回答。

“Believe me,” continued Treville, “in enterprises of this kind, in order that one may arrive, four must set out.”
“相信我,”特雷维尔继续说道,”在这样的任务中,要想成功,出发的人必须有四人。”

“Ah, you are right, monsieur,” said D’Artagnan; —
““啊,您说得对,先生,”达达尼安说; —

“but you know Athos, Porthos, and Aramis, and you know if I can dispose of them.”
“但您知道阿索斯、波尔多斯和阿拉米斯,您知道我可以支配他们。”

“Without confiding to them the secret which I am not willing to know?”
“不用把我不愿知道的秘密告诉他们吗?”

“We are sworn, once for all, to implicit confidence and devotedness against all proof. —
“我们立誓,始终要绝对信任和忠诚,无论有何证据” —

Besides, you can tell them that you have full confidence in me, and they will not be more incredulous than you.”
“而且您可以告诉他们,您对我充满信任,他们不会比您更怀疑。”

“I can send to each of them leave of absence for fifteen days, that is all–to Athos, whose wound still makes him suffer, to go to the waters of Forges; —
“我可以给他们每人发放15天的休假,这就是全部了–给还在感到疼痛的阿索斯去弗尔热温泉; —

to Porthos and Aramis to accompany their friend, whom they are not willing to abandon in such a painful condition. —
给波尔多斯和阿拉米斯,陪同他们不愿意在这种痛苦状态下抛弃的朋友。 —

Sending their leave of absence will be proof enough that I authorize their journey.”
发放他们的休假就足够证明我授权他们的旅行。”

“Thanks, monsieur. You are a hundred times too good.”
“谢谢,先生。您对我太好了。”

“Begone, then, find them instantly, and let all be done tonight! Ha! —
“那就走吧,立即找到他们,今晚一切都要办好!哈! —

But first write your request to Dessessart. Perhaps you had a spy at your heels; —
但先写信给德塞萨尔请求。也许有人跟踪你; —

and your visit, if it should ever be known to the cardinal, will thus seem legitimate.”
如果您没有适当的理由,您的访问如果被红衣主教知道了,会被视为合法的。”

D’Artagnan drew up his request, and M. de Treville, on receiving it, assured him that by two o’clock in the morning the four leaves of absence should be at the respective domiciles of the travelers.
达达尼安写好请求,特雷维尔收到后,向他保证四张假条将在凌晨两点前送到旅行者的各自住所。

“Have the goodness to send mine to Athos’s residence. —
“请您把我的送到阿索斯的住处。 —

I should dread some disagreeable encounter if I were to go home.”
如果我回家,我害怕会遇到一些不愉快的事。”

“Be easy. Adieu, and a prosperous voyage. A PROPOS,” said M. de Treville, calling him back.
“保重,再会,一帆风顺。至于,”特雷维尔先生说着,把他叫了回来。

D’Artagnan returned.
达达尼安回来了。

“Have you any money?”
“你有钱吗?”

D’Artagnan tapped the bag he had in his pocket.
达达尼安拍了一下口袋里的袋子。

“Enough?” asked M. de Treville.
“够吗?”特雷维尔先生问道。

“Three hundred pistoles.”
“三百枚金币。”

“Oh, plenty! That would carry you to the end of the world. Begone, then!”
“哦,足够了!那会让你走遍全世界。快走吧!”

D’Artagnan saluted M. de Treville, who held out his hand to him; —
达达尼安向特雷维尔先生行了个礼, —

D’Artagnan pressed it with a respect mixed with gratitude. —
达达尼安充满尊敬和感激地握住了他的手。 —

Since his first arrival at Paris, he had had constant occasion to honor this excellent man, whom he had always found worthy, loyal, and great.
自从他第一次来到巴黎以来,他一直有机会去尊敬这个优秀的人,他觉得特雷维尔先生一直都很值得尊敬、忠诚和伟大。

His first visit was to Aramis, at whose residence he ha not been since the famous evening on which he had followed Mme. Bonacieux. —
他的第一次拜访是去找阿拉米斯,自从他跟随波纳谢夫夫人度过那个著名的晚上之后,他就没有去过那里。 —

Still further, he had seldom seen the young Musketeer; —
此外,他很少看到那位年轻的火枪手; —

but every time he had seen him, he had remarked a deep sadness imprinted on his countenance.
但每次见到他,他都会注意到他脸上深深的忧伤印记。

This evening, especially, Aramis was melancholy and thoughtful. —
尤其是今晚,阿拉米斯在沮丧和若有所思。 —

D’Artagnan asked some questions about this prolonged melancholy. —
达达尼安询问了一些关于他持续沮丧的问题。 —

Aramis pleaded as his excuse a commentary upon the eighteenth chapter of St. Augustine, which he was forced to write in Latin for the following week, and which preoccupied him a good deal.
阿拉米斯以他不得不用拉丁文写一篇关于圣奥古斯丁第十八章的评论作为借口,而这篇评论下周就要交,令他相当忙碌。

After the two friends had been chatting a few moments, a servant from M. de Treville entered, bringing a sealed packet.
两位朋友聊了几分钟之后,特雷维尔先生的一名仆人进来,带着一个密封的包裹。

“What is that?” asked Aramis.
“这是什么?”阿拉米斯问道。

“The leave of absence Monsieur has asked for,” replied the lackey.
仆人答道:“先生请的休假。”

“For me! I have asked for no leave of absence.”
“为我!我并没有请假。”

“Hold your tongue and take it!” said D’Artagnan. —
“闭嘴,接着!”达达尼安说。 —

“And you, my friend, there is a demipistole for your trouble; —
“朋友,这是一块硬币,作为你的麻烦费; —

you will tell Monsieur de Treville that Monsieur Aramis is very much obliged to him. Go.”
你要告诉特雷维尔先生,阿拉米斯先生非常感激他。走吧。”

The lackey bowed to the ground and departed.
仆人鞠躬至地面,然后离开了。

“What does all this mean?” asked Aramis.
阿拉米斯问:“这是什么意思?”

“Pack up all you want for a journey of a fortnight, and follow me.”
“把你需要的行囊准备好,我们要去一个两周的旅程,跟着我。”

“But I cannot leave Paris just now without knowing–”
“但我不能现在离开巴黎而不知道–”

Aramis stopped.
阿拉米斯停了下来。

“What is become of her? I suppose you mean–” continued D’Artagnan.
“她怎么了?我想你是说–”达达尼安继续说。

“Become of whom?” replied Aramis.
“她怎么了?”阿拉米斯回答道。

“The woman who was here–the woman with the embroidered handkerchief.”
“这里的那个女人——那个绣着手绢的女人。”

“Who told you there was a woman here?” replied Aramis, becoming as pale as death.
“是谁告诉你这里有个女人的?”阿拉米斯回答道,脸色苍白如死。

“I saw her.”
“我看见了。”

“And you know who she is?”
“你知道她是谁吗?”

“I believe I can guess, at least.”
“我至少能猜到一些。”

“Listen!” said Aramis. “Since you appear to know so many things, can you tell me what is become of that woman?”
“听着!”阿拉米斯说。“既然你似乎知道这么多事情,你能告诉我那个女人现在在哪里吗?”

“I presume that she has returned to Tours.”
“我猜她回了图尔。”

“To Tours? Yes, that may be. You evidently know her. —
“回了图尔?是的,可能是吧。你显然认识她。” —

But why did she return to Tours without telling me anything?”
“但她为什么没有告诉我就回了图尔呢?”

“Because she was in fear of being arrested.”
“因为她害怕被逮捕。”

“Why has she not written to me, then?”
“那她为什么没有给我写信呢?”

“Because she was afraid of compromising you.”
“因为她害怕牵连到你。”

“D’Artagnan, you restore me to life!” cried Aramis. “I fancied myself despised, betrayed. —
“达达尼安,你让我重生了!”阿拉米斯叫道。“我以为自己被蔑视、被背叛。 —

I was so delighted to see her again! I could not have believed she would risk her liberty for me, and yet for what other cause could she have returned to Paris?”
我见到她又是多么高兴!我不能相信她会为了我冒险自由,但她回到巴黎还有其他什么原因呢?”

“for the cause which today takes us to England.”
“为了今天带我们去英格兰的理由。”

“And what is this cause?” demanded Aramis.
“这是什么事业?”阿拉米斯要求道。

“Oh, you’ll know it someday, Aramis; but at present I must imitate the discretion of ‘the doctor’s niece.’”
“哦,有一天你会知道的,阿拉米斯;但此刻我必须效仿‘医生的侄女’的谨慎。”

Aramis smiled, as he remembered the tale he had told his friends on a certain evening. —
阿拉米斯微笑着,他想起了他在某个晚上告诉朋友们的故事。 —

“Well, then, since she has left Paris, and you are sure of it, D’Artagnan, nothing prevents me, and I am ready to follow you. —
“好吧,既然她已经离开了巴黎,而你确定了这一点,达达尼昂,那就没有什么可以阻止我了,我准备好跟你去了。 —

You say we are going–”
你说我们要去–”

“To see Athos now, and if you will come thither, I beg you to make haste, for we have lost much time already. —
“现在去看阿索斯,如果你愿意一起去,我请求你赶快,因为我们已经浪费了很多时间。 —

A PROPOS, inform Bazin.”
顺便提一句,通知巴津。”

“Will Bazin go with us?” asked Aramis.
“巴津会和我们一起去吗?”阿拉米斯问道。

“Perhaps so. At all events, it is best that he should follow us to Athos’s.”
“也许会。无论如何,最好是让他跟在我们后面去阿索斯那里。”

Aramis called Bazin, and, after having ordered him to join them at Athos’s residence, said “Let us go then,” at the same time taking his cloak, sword, and three pistols, opening uselessly two or three drawers to see if he could not find stray coin. —
阿拉米斯唤来巴津,吩咐他加入他们去阿索斯的住处,同时拿上他的斗篷、剑和三支手枪,徒劳地打开两三个抽屉查找是否有遗落的硬币。 —

When well assured this search was superfluous, he followed D’Artagnan, wondering to himself how this young Guardsman should know so well who the lady was to whom he had given hospitality, and that he should know better than himself what had become of her.
确信这番搜寻是多余的之后,他跟着达达尼昂,心里想着这位年轻的近卫军怎么会如此了解他所招待的女士是谁,以及他怎么比自己更清楚她的去向。

Only as they went out Aramis placed his hand upon the arm of D’Artagnan, and looking at him earnestly, “You have not spoken of this lady?” said he.
就在他们出门时,阿拉米斯把手放在达达尼昂的胳膊上,认真地看着他,“你没有提及这位女士?”他问道。

“To nobody in the world.”
“世界上没有人。”

“Not even to Athos or Porthos?”
“甚至没有对阿索斯或波尔多斯提起过吗?”

“I have not breathed a syllable to them.”
“我没有向他们透露任何消息。”

“Good enough!”
“还行!”

Tranquil on this important point, Aramis continued his way with D’Artagnan, and both soon arrived at Athos’s dwelling. —
在这一重要点上,Aramis保持冷静,与达达尼安一起继续前行,很快便到了阿多斯的住所。 —

They found him holding his leave of absence in one hand, and M. de Treville’s note in the other.
他们看到他一手拿着休假准假,另一手拿着德特雷维勒先生的便条。

“Can you explain to me what signify this leave of absence and this letter, which I have just received?” —
“你能解释一下这张休假准假和这封信的意义吗?我刚刚收到了” —

said the astonished Athos.
震惊的阿多斯说。

My dear Athos, I wish, as your health absolutely requires it, that you should rest for a fortnight. —
亲爱的阿多斯,我希望,由于你的健康绝对需要,你应该休息两周。 —

Go, then, and take the waters of Forges, or any that may be more agreeable to you, and recuperate yourself as quickly as possible.
去吧,然后去Forges泡温泉,或者是更适合你的地方,尽快恢复自己。

Yours affectionate
亲爱的你

De Treville
德特雷维尔

“Well, this leave of absence and that letter mean that you must follow me, Athos.”
“嗯,这个请假和那封信意味着你必须跟着我,阿索斯。”

“To the waters of Forges?”
“去福尔热斯的水源吗?”

“There or elsewhere.”
“去那里或其他地方。”

“In the king’s service?”
“为国王效劳?”

“Either the king’s or the queen’s. Are we not their Majesties’ servants?”
“无论是国王还是王后的。我们不是陛下的仆人吗?”

At that moment Porthos entered. “PARDIEU!” said he, “here is a strange thing! —
就在这时,波尔多斯进来了。“天哪!”他说,“这真是件奇怪的事情! —

Since when, I wonder, in the Musketeers, did they grant men leave of absence without their asking for it?”
莫非近卫军里,曾经有人不用请求就获得了休假吗?”

“Since,” said D’Artagnan, “they have friends who ask it for them.”
“是的,因为,”达达尼昂说,“他们有朋友替他们请求。”

“Ah, ah!” said Porthos, “it appears there’s something fresh here.”
“啊,啊!”波尔多斯说:“看来这里有新鲜事。”

“Yes, we are going–” said Aramis.
“是的,我们要去-“阿拉米斯说。

“To what country?” demanded Porthos.
“去哪个国家?”波尔多斯问。

“My faith! I don’t much about it,” said Athos. “Ask D’Artagnan.”
“我想不太清楚,”阿索斯说。“问达达尼昂吧。”

“To London, gentlemen,” said D’Artagnan.
“去伦敦,先生们,”达达尼昂说。

“To London!” cried Porthos; “and what the devil are we going to do in London?”
“说走就走,”波尔多喊道;”到伦敦去!究竟我们去伦敦干什么?”

“That is what I am not at liberty to tell you, gentlemen; you must trust to me.”
“这是我不能告诉你们的,先生们;你们必须信任我。”

“But in order to go to London,” added Porthos, “money is needed, and I have none.”
“但是要去伦敦,”波尔多补充说,”要花钱,而我身无分文。”

“Nor I,” said Aramis.
“我也是,”阿拉密斯说。

“Nor I,” said Athos.
“我也是,”阿多斯说。

“I have,” replied D’Artagnan, pulling out his treasure from his pocket, and placing it on the table. —
“我有,”达达尼安回答,从口袋里掏出他的财宝,放在桌子上。 —

“There are in this bag three hundred pistoles. Let each take seventy-five; —
“这个袋子里有三百枚金币。每人拿七十五; —

that is enough to take us to London and back. —
这已经足够我们去伦敦和回来了。 —

Besides, make yourselves easy; we shall not all arrive at London.”
此外,请安心;我们不会全部都到达伦敦的。

“Why so?”
“为什么?”

“Because, in all probability, some one of us will be left on the road.”
“因为很有可能我们中的某人会在路上丢了下来。”

“Is this, then, a campaign upon which we are now entering?”
“那这难道不是一场我们现在要参加的战役吗?”

“One of a most dangerous kind, I give you notice.”
“是一场极为危险的战役,我提前告诉你们。”

“Ah! But if we do risk being killed,” said Porthos, “at least I should like to know what for.”
“啊!但是如果我们冒险丧命,”波尔多说,”至少我想知道为了什么。”

“You would be all the wiser,” said Athos.
“你们会更聪明的,”阿多斯说。

“And yet,” said Aramis, “I am somewhat of Porthos’s opinion.”
“可是,”阿拉密斯说,“我有点赞同波尔多的观点。”

“Is the king accustomed to give you such reasons? —
“国王惯常给你们这样的理由吗? —

No. He says to you jauntily, ‘Gentlemen, there is fighting going on in Gascony or in Flanders; —
不,他轻松地对你们说:‘先生们,加斯科尼或佛兰德正在打仗; —

go and fight,’ and you go there. Why? You need give yourselves no more uneasiness about this.”
去战斗吧,’然后你们就去了。为什么?这件事无需让你们担心。”

“D’Artagnan is right,” said Athos; “here are our three leaves of absence which came from Monsieur de Treville, and here are three hundred pistoles which came from I don’t know where. —
“达达尼安是对的,”阿多斯说,“这是特雷维尔先生给我们的三张假期请假条,这是三百金币,我也不知道是从哪里来的。 —

So let us go and get killed where we are told to go. —
所以让我们遵照命令去送死吧。 —

Is life worth the trouble of so many questions? —
生命值得这么多问题吗? —

D’Artagnan, I am ready to follow you.”
达达尼安,我准备跟随你。”

“And I also,” said Porthos.
“我也是,”波尔多说。

“And I also,” said Aramis. “And, indeed, I am not sorry to quit Paris; I had need of distraction.”
“我也是,”阿拉密斯说。“而且,我也不介意离开巴黎;我需要分心。”

“Well, you will have distractions enough, gentlemen, be assured,” said D’Artagnan.
“好吧,先生们,你们放心会有足够的分心,”达达尼安说。

“And, now, when are we to go?” asked Athos.
“那么,我们什么时候出发?”阿多斯问。

“Immediately,” replied D’Artagnan; “we have not a minute to lose.”
“马上,”达达尼安回答,“我们一分钟都不能耽搁。”

“Hello, Grimaud! Planchet! Mousqueton! Bazin!” —
“嘿,格里莫!普兰谢!穆斯奎通!巴津!”四个年轻人呼喊着他们的仆役,“擦洗我的靴子,把马带来。” —

cried the four young men, calling their lackeys, “clean my boots, and fetch the horses from the hotel.”
拉起他们的缰绳’en,把马从旅馆带来。”

Each Musketeer was accustomed to leave at the general hotel, as at a barrack, his own horse and that of his lackey. —
每个火枪手习惯于在总旅馆留下他和他的仆人的马,就像在军营一样。 —

Planchet, Grimaud, Mousqueton, and Bazin set off at full speed.
普兰谢、格里莫、穆斯克腾和巴赞飞速出发。

“Now let us lay down the plan of campaign,” said Porthos. “Where do we go first?”
“现在让我们制定作战计划,”波尔多斯说道。”我们先去哪里?”

“To Calais,” said D’Artagnan; “that is the most direct line to London.”
“去加来,”达达尼昂说道;”那是直通伦敦的最快路线。”

“Well,” said Porthos, “this is my advice–”
“好的,”波尔多斯说道,”这是我的建议–”

“Speak!”
“说吧!”

“Four men traveling together would be suspected. D’Artagnan will give each of us his instructions. —
“四个人一起旅行会引起怀疑。达达尼昂会给我们每个人指示。 —

I will go by the way of Boulogne to clear the way; —
我会经由布洛涅清路; —

Athos will set out two hours after, by that of Amiens; Aramis will follow us by that of Noyon; —
阿多斯会在两小时后,通过亚眠的路线出发;阿拉米斯会通过诺翁的路线跟随我们; —

as to D’Artagnan, he will go by what route he thinks is best, in Planchet’s clothes, while Planchet will follow us like D’Artagnan, in the uniform of the Guards.”
至于达达尼昂,他会以普兰谢的服装选择他认为最好的路线前进,而普兰谢会像达达尼昂一样,穿着近卫军的制服跟随我们。”

“Gentlemen,” said Athos, “my opinion is that it is not proper to allow lackeys to have anything to do in such an affair. —
“先生们,”阿多斯说道,”我认为让仆人在这样的事务中牵涉其中是不合适的。 —

A secret may, by chance, be betrayed by gentlemen; —
一个秘密可能会因为绅士的失言而泄露; —

but it is almost always sold by lackeys.”
但几乎总是会因为仆人的出卖。”

“Porthos’s plan appears to me to be impracticable,” said D’Artagnan, “inasmuch as I am myself ignorant of what instructions I can give you. —
“波尔多斯的计划对我来说似乎行不通,”达达尼昂说道,”因为我自己也不知道该给你们什么指示。 —

I am the bearer of a letter, that is all, I have not, and I cannot make three copies of that letter, because it is sealed. —
我只是一个信使,仅此而已,我没有,也无法复制那封信,因为它是密封的。” —

We must, then, as it appears to me, travel in company. —
我们必须像我看来的那样,结伴同行。 —

This letter is here, in this pocket,” and he pointed to the pocket which contained the letter. —
这封信就在这儿,这个口袋里,”他指着那个口袋,里面装着那封信。 —

“If I should be killed, one of you must take it, and continue the route; —
“如果我被杀,你们中一个必须拿着它,继续前行; —

if he be killed, it will be another’s turn, and so on– provided a single one arrives, that is all that is required.”
如果他被杀,就该轮到另一个,如此循环-只要有一个人到达,这就足够了。

“Bravo, D’Artagnan, your opinion is mine,” cried Athos, “Besides, we must be consistent; —
“好极了,达达尼昂,你的意见就是我的,”阿多斯喊道,“此外,我们必须做到言出必行; —

I am going to take the waters, you will accompany me. —
我要去用温泉,你们会陪我同行。 —

Instead of taking the waters of Forges, I go and take sea waters; I am free to do so. —
与其去弗尔日的温泉,我去海边沐浴;这是我的自由。 —

If anyone wishes to stop us, I will show Monsieur de Treville’s letter, and you will show your leaves of absence. —
如果有人想要阻止我们,我会展示特雷维尔先生的信,而你们则展示你们的休假单。 —

If we are attacked, we will defend ourselves; —
如果我们被攻击,我们会自卫; —

if we are tried, we will stoutly maintain that we were only anxious to dip ourselves a certain number of times in the sea. —
如果我们被审讯,我们会坚定地维护我们只是想在海里浸泡特定次数。 —

They would have an easy bargain of four isolated men; whereas four men together make a troop. —
四个孤立的人他们会轻易应付,然而四个人在一起就会形成一队。 —

We will arm our four lackeys with pistols and musketoons; —
我们会给我们的四个仆从配备手枪和火枪; —

if they send an army out against us, we will give battle, and the survivor, as D’Artagnan says, will carry the letter.”
如果他们派军队来对付我们,我们会作战,而幸存者,如达达尼昂所说,将携带着这封信。

“Well said,” cried Aramis; “you don’t often speak, Athos, but when you do speak, it is like St. John of the Golden Mouth. I agree to Athos’s plan. And you, Porthos?”
“说得好,”阿拉米斯喊道,“你不经常讲话,阿多斯,但当你说话时,就像金口圣约翰。我同意阿多斯的计划。你呢,波托斯?

“I agree to it, too,” said Porthos, “if D’Artagnan approves of it. —
“我也同意,”波托斯说,“如果达达尼昂赞成的话。 —

D’Artagnan, being the bearer of the letter, is naturally the head of the enterprise; —
达达尼安作为信件的送信人,自然是这次行动的领头人; —

let him decide, and we will execute.”
让他来决定,我们来执行。

“Well,” said D’Artagnan, “I decide that we should adopt Athos’s plan, and that we set off in half an hour.”
“好吧,”达达尼安说,“我决定我们应该采纳阿索斯的计划,在半小时后出发。”

“Agreed!” shouted the three Musketeers in chorus.
“同意!”三位火枪手齐声喊道。

Each one, stretching out his hand to the bag, took his seventy- five pistoles, and make his preparations to set out at the time appointed.
每人伸手拿起袋子里的七十五枚金币,准备按约定的时间出发。