HE MAN OF MEUNG
梅恩的人

The crowd was caused, not by the expectation of a man to be hanged, but by the contemplation of a man who was hanged.
人群的骚动,不是因为期待一个人被绞死,而是因为思考一个已经被绞死的人。

The carriage, which had been stopped for a minute, resumed its way, passed through the crowd, threaded the Rue St. Honore, turned into the Rue des Bons Enfants, and stopped before a low door.
马车停下一会儿后又继续前进,穿过人群,穿过圣奥诺瑞街,拐进孩童街,停在一个低矮的门前。

The door opened; two guards received Bonacieux in their arms from the officer who supported him. —
门打开了;两名卫兵接过波纳谢从支撑他的军官手中。 —

They carried him through an alley, up a flight of stairs, and deposited him in an antechamber.
他们把他抬过一个小巷,上了一段楼梯,把他放在一个前厅。

All these movements had been effected mechanically, as far as he was concerned. —
所有这些动作对他来说都是机械的。 —

He had walked as one walks in a dream; he had a glimpse of objects as through a fog. —
他行走时如同梦游;他透过雾气看到物体一瞥。 —

His ears had perceived sounds without comprehending them; —
他的耳朵听到声音却不理解; —

he might have been executed at that moment without his making a single gesture in his own defense or uttering a cry to implore mercy.
他此时可能被处决而不做出任何自卫动作或发出哀求怜悯的呼喊。

He remained on the bench, with his back leaning against the wall and his hands hanging down, exactly on the spot where the guards placed him.
他靠在墙上的长椅上,双手垂下,恰好停放在卫兵放置他的地方。

On looking around him, however, as he could perceive no threatening object, as nothing indicated that he ran any real danger, as the bench was comfortably covered with a well-stuffed cushion, as the wall was ornamented with a beautiful Cordova leather, and as large red damask curtains, fastened back by gold clasps, floated before the window, he perceived by degrees that his fear was exaggerated, and he began to turn his head to the right and the left, upward and downward.
然而,他环顾周围,未发现任何威胁的对象,没有任何迹象表明他真正面临危险,长椅舒适地铺着一块饱满的坐垫,墙上装饰着美丽的科尔多瓦皮革,大红色达马斯克帘子被金扣钩扣住,飘动在窗前,渐渐他意识到自己的恐惧是夸大的,开始左顾右盼,上下观望。

At this movement, which nobody opposed, he resumed a little courage, and ventured to draw up one leg and then the other. —
在这个没有人阻拦的动作下,他重新振作了一点勇气,敢于抬起一条腿,再抬起另一条腿。 —

At length, with the help of his two hands he lifted himself from the bench, and found himself on his feet.
最终,他借助双手从长椅上站了起来,站在了脚下。

At this moment an officer with a pleasant face opened a door, continued to exchange some words with a person in the next chamber and then came up to the prisoner. —
此刻,一个面带微笑的军官打开了一扇门,然后继续和隔壁房间中的某人交谈了一些话,然后走向囚犯。 —

“Is your name Bonacieux?” said he.
“你是波纳谢吗?”他说。

“Yes, Monsieur Officer,” stammered the mercer, more dead than alive, “at your service.”
“是的,先生警官,”织布商结结巴巴地说道,比死还要死,“役使您。”

“Come in,” said the officer.
“请进,”警官说道。

And he moved out of the way to let the mercer pass. —
他挪开身子让织布商通过。 —

The latter obeyed without reply, and entered the chamber, where he appeared to be expected.
后者没有回答,顺从地走进了房间,看起来被期待着。

It was a large cabinet, close and stifling, with the walls furnished with arms offensive and defensive, and in which there was already a fire, although it was scarcely the end of the month of September. —
这是一个充满各种武器的大房间,密闭而闷热,尽管才是9月底,壁上挂满了进攻和防御的武器,并且炉火已经燃烧着。 —

A square table, covered with books and papers, upon which was unrolled an immense plan of the city of La Rochelle, occupied the center of the room.
房间中央放着一张覆盖着书籍和文件的方桌,桌面上展开了一张宏伟的拉舍尔城市平面图。

Standing before the chimney was a man of middle height, of a haughty, proud mien; —
站在壁炉前的是一个身材中等,带着高傲和自豪神情的男人; —

with piercing eyes, a large brow, and a thin face, which was made still longer by a ROYAL (or IMPERIAL, as it is now called), surmounted by a pair of mustaches. —
眼睛锐利,高宽的额头,紧绷的脸庞,再加上上面一对长须修剪整齐。 —

Although this man was scarcely thirty-six or thirty-seven years of age, hair, mustaches, and royal, all began to be gray. —
尽管这个男人只有三十六七岁,头发、胡须和长须都已经开始有些花白了。 —

This man, except a sword, had all the appearance of a soldier; —
除了剑之外,这个男人看起来像一个军人; —

and his buff boots still slightly covered with dust, indicated that he had been on horseback in the course of the day.
他那挂着一点灰尘的骑兵靴显示出他今天已经骑马了。

This man was Armand Jean Duplessis, Cardinal de Richelieu; —
这个男人是阿尔芒·让·杜普莱西,理雅各派的枢机主教; —

not such as he is now represented–broken down like an old man, suffering like a martyr, his body bent, his voice failing, buried in a large armchair as in an anticipated tomb; —
不是如今所描述的那副模样——老弱如斯,如同烈士般受煎熬,身体佝偻、声音颤抖,像是坐在一把大扶手椅中的老人; —

no longer living but by the strength of his genius, and no longer maintaining the struggle with Europe but by the eternal application of his thoughts–but such as he really was at this period; —
仅凭他那非同寻常的精神力量,他已经不再靠生存,也不再靠思想来支撑与欧洲大陆的斗争——但正是在这个时期他真实的样子; —

that is to say, an active and gallant cavalier, already weak of body, but sustained by that moral power which made of him one of the most extraordinary men that ever lived, preparing, after having supported the Duc de Nevers in his duchy of Mantua, after having taken Nimes, Castres, and Uzes, to drive the English from the Isle of Re and lay siege to La Rochelle.
就是说,一个活跃而勇敢的骑士,身体虽已疲惫,但却被他那道义力量所支撑,这使他成为有史以来最卓越的人之一,曾在支持奈韦尔公爵在曼图亚公国,夺取尼姆、卡斯特尔和厄泽后,打算将英军赶出雷岛并围攻拉舍尔。

At first sight, nothing denoted the cardinal; —
乍一看,没有什么能够表明这位红衣主教的身份; —

and it was impossible for those who did not know his face to guess in whose presence they were.
对于那些不认识他的人来说,根本无法猜测自己是在谁的面前。

The poor mercer remained standing at the door, while the eyes of the personage we have just described were fixed upon him, and appeared to wish to penetrate even into the depths of the past.
可怜的布匹商人站在门口,而刚刚描述的人的目光紧紧地盯着他,似乎想要洞察甚至是过去的深处。

“Is this that Bonacieux?” asked he, after a moment of silence.
“这就是那个宝纳谢。”他问道,沉默片刻后。

“Yes, monseigneur,” replied the officer.
“是的,阁下,”那名军官回答道。

“That’s well. Give me those papers, and leave us.”
“很好。把那些文件给我,然后离开。”

The officer took from the table the papers pointed out, gave them to him who asked for them, bowed to the ground, and retired.
军官从桌子上取下指定的文件,交给了那位询问的人,躬身鞠躬,然后离开了。

Bonacieux recognized in these papers his interrogatories of the Bastille. —
宝纳谢认出这些文件是自己在巴士底狱时的询问记录。 —

From time to time the man by the chimney raised his eyes from the writings, and plunged them like poniards into the heart of the poor mercer.
那名坐在壁炉旁的人时不时地将目光从文书上抬起,像匕首一样刺向可怜的布匹商人的心脏。

At the end of ten minutes of reading and ten seconds of examination, the cardinal was satisfied.
阅读了十分钟,仔细检查了十秒钟后,红衣主教满意了。

“That head has never conspired,” murmured he, “but it matters not; we will see.”
“这个脑袋从未密谋过,”他低语道,“但无妨;我们去查看。”

“You are accused of high treason,” said the cardinal, slowly.
“你被控高罪,”红衣主教缓缓地说道。

“So I have been told already, monseigneur,” cried Bonacieux, giving his interrogator the title he had heard the officer give him, “but I swear to you that I know nothing about it.”
“我已经被告知了,阁下,”宝纳谢喊道,用军官称呼他的头衔,“但我向您发誓,我一无所知。”

The cardinal repressed a smile.
红衣主教忍住了笑。

“You have conspired with your wife, with Madame de Chevreuse, and with my Lord Duke of Buckingham.”
“你和你的妻子共谋,与舍鲁兹夫人和白金汉公爵共谋。”

“Indeed, monseigneur,” responded the mercer, “I have heard her pronounce all those names.”
“当然,大人,”绢布商回答道,“我听她说过所有那些名字。”

“And on what occasion?”
“在什么情况下?”

“She said that the Cardinal de Richelieu had drawn the Duke of Buckingham to Paris to ruin him and to ruin the queen.”
“她说红衣主教里歇略把白金汉公爵吸引到巴黎来毁掉他并毁掉女王。”

“She said that?” cried the cardinal, with violence.
“她说那个?”红衣主教愤怒地说。

“Yes, monseigneur, but I told her she was wrong to talk about such things; —
“是的,大人,但我告诉她谈论这样的事情是不对的; —

and that his Eminence was incapable–”
他的尊贵是不会做这种事的–”

“Hold your tongue! You are stupid,” replied the cardinal.
“闭上你的嘴!你真蠢,”红衣主教回答道。

“That’s exactly what my wife said, monseigneur.”
“这正是我太太说的,大人。”

“Do you know who carried off your wife?”
“你知道谁劫走了你的太太吗?”

“No, monsigneur.”
“不,大主教。”

“You have suspicions, nevertheless?”
“你仍然怀疑吗?”

“Yes, monsigneur; but these suspicions appeared to be disagreeable to Monsieur the Commissary, and I no longer have them.”
“是的,主教;但这些怀疑似乎令法官先生感到不快,我不再怀疑了。”

“Your wife has escaped. Did you know that?”
“你太太逃走了。你知道吗?”

“No, monseigneur. I learned it since I have been in prison, and that from the conversation of Monsieur the Commissary–an amiable man.”
“不,大主教。我在狱中得知这一点,从法官先生的谈话中–一个和蔼的人。”

The cardinal repressed another smile.
红衣主教忍住了又一个微笑。

“Then you are ignorant of what has become of your wife since her flight.”
“那么你对你妻子自从逃走后的情况一无所知。”

“Absolutely, monseigneur; but she has most likely returned to the Louvre.”
“当然,主教大人;但她很可能已经回到了卢浮宫。”

“At one o’clock this morning she had not returned.”
“今天凌晨一点她还没回来。”

“My God! What can have become of her, then?”
“天啊!那她会怎么样了?”

“We shall know, be assured. Nothing is concealed from the cardinal; the cardinal knows everything.”
“我们会知道的,放心吧。枢机主教无所不知,枢机主教什么都知道。”

“In that case, monseigneur, do you believe the cardinal will be so kind as to tell me what has become of my wife?”
“那么,主教大人,您相信枢机主教会乐意告诉我我妻子去了哪里吗?”

“Perhaps he may; but you must, in the first place, reveal to the cardinal all you know of your wife’s relations with Madame de Chevreuse.”
“也许他会;但首先,你必须向枢机主教透露你对你妻子与谢夫勒兹夫人的关系所知道的一切。”

“But, monseigneur, I know nothing about them; I have never seen her.”
“但,主教大人,我对此一无所知;我从未见过她。”

“When you went to fetch your wife from the Louvre, did you always return directly home?”
“当你去卢浮宫接你妻子时,你们总是直接回家吗?”

“Scarcely ever; she had business to transact with linen drapers, to whose houses I conducted her.”
“几乎从来不;她需要去与亚麻商人做生意,我陪她去他们的店铺。”

“And how many were there of these linen drapers?”
“这些亚麻商人有多少?”

“Two, monseigneur.”
“两位,主教大人。”

“And where did they live?”
“他们住在哪里?”

“One in Rue de Vaugirard, the other Rue de la Harpe.”
“一个在伏尔加尔大街,另一个在拉哈普大街。”

“Did you go into these houses with her?”
“你是否跟她一起进这些房子?”

“Never, monseigneur; I waited at the door.”
“没有,阁下;我在门口等候。”

“And what excuse did she give you for entering all alone?”
“她为什么让你独自进来的,你有什么借口?”

“She gave me none; she told me to wait, and I waited.”
“她没有给我,只是让我等待,于是我等待。”

“You are a very complacent husband, my dear Monsieur Bonacieux,” said the cardinal.
“你真是一个很宽容的丈夫,我亲爱的邦纳谢。”

“He calls me his dear Monsieur,” said the mercer to himself. “PESTE! Matters are going all right.”
“他称我为他的亲爱的邦纳谢,”商贩自言自语道。“天哪!事情进展得很顺利。”

“Should you know those doors again?”
“你能认出那些门吗?”

“Yes.”
“能。”

“Do you know the numbers?”
“你知道门牌号码吗?”

“Yes.”
“知道。”

“What are they?”
“它们是什么?”

“No. 25 in the Rue de Vaugirard; 75 in the Rue de la Harpe.”
“巴吉拉路25号;拉阿尔普路75号。”

“That’s well,” said the cardinal.
“很好,”红衣主教说。

At these words he took up a silver bell, and rang it; the officer entered.
说完这些话,他拿起一只银铃,响了响;一个军官进来了。

“Go,” said he, in a subdued voice, “and find Rochefort. —
“去,”他压低声音说,“找到罗切福特。 —

Tell him to come to me immediately, if he has returned.”
“告诉他如果他回来了马上来见我。”

“The count is here,” said the officer, “and requests to speak with your Eminence instantly.”
“伯爵在这里,”军官说道,“请求立即与阁下交谈。”

“Let him come in, then!” said the cardinal, quickly.
“那就让他进来!”红衣主教迅速说道。

The officer sprang out of the apartment with that alacrity which all the servants of the cardinal displayed in obeying him.
军官以所有红衣主教仆役所表现出的敏捷飞快,飞快地离开公寓。

“To your Eminence!” murmured Bonacieux, rolling his eyes round in astonishment.
“轮到阁下了!”波纳谢自言自语,惊讶地转动着眼睛。

Five seconds has scarcely elapsed after the disappearance of the officer, when the door opened, and a new personage entered.
军官刚消失不到五秒钟,门便打开了,一个新的人物走了进来。

“It is he!” cried Bonacieux.
“就是他!”波纳谢叫道。

“He! What he?” asked the cardinal.
“他!是谁?”红衣主教问道。

“The man who abducted my wife.”
“绑架我的妻子的那个人。”

The cardinal rang a second time. The officer reappeared.
红衣主教第二次摁铃。军官又出现了。

“Place this man in the care of his guards again, and let him wait till I send for him.”
“再次把这个人交给他的卫兵,让他等到我派人接他。”

“No, monseigneur, no, it is not he!” cried Bonacieux; “no, I was deceived. —
“不,大人,不,不是他!”波纳谢叫道,“不,我被欺骗了。 —

This is quite another man, and does not resemble him at all. —
这完全是另一个人,一点也不像他。 —

Monsieur is, I am sure, an honest man.”
先生,我肯定,是个诚实的人。”

“Take away that fool!” said the cardinal.
“把那个傻瓜带走!”红衣主教说道。

The officer took Bonacieux by the arm, and led him into the antechamber, where he found his two guards.
军官拉着波纳谢的胳膊,把他带进了前厅,那里发现了他的两个卫兵。

The newly introduced personage followed Bonacieux impatiently with his eyes till he had gone out; —
新引进的人物不耐烦地追着波纳谢夫斯的眼睛,直到他走出去; —

and the moment the door closed, “They have seen each other;” —
当门关上的那一刻,“他们见了面;” —

said he, approaching the cardinal eagerly.
他急切地走近枢机主教说。

“Who?” asked his Eminence.
“谁?”阁下问道。

“He and she.”
“他和她。”

“The queen and the duke?” cried Richelieu.
“皇后和公爵?”瑞士卢惊叫道。

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Where?”
“在哪里?”

“At the Louvre.”
“在卢浮宫。”

“Are you sure of it?”
“你确定吗?”

“Perfectly sure.”
“非常确定。”

“Who told you of it?”
“是谁告诉你的?”

“Madame de Lannoy, who is devoted to your Eminence, as you know.”
“兰诺侯爵夫人,她忠于您枢机主教,您知道。”

“Why did she not let me know sooner?”
“为什么她没早点通知我?”

“Whether by chance or mistrust, the queen made Madame de Surgis sleep in her chamber, and detained her all day.”
“无论是偶然还是不信任,皇后让苏尔吉夫人在她的寝室里睡觉,并且一整天留住了她。”

“Well, we are beaten! Now let us try to take our revenge.”
“好吧,我们被打败了!现在让我们试着报仇吧。”

“I will assist you with all my heart, monseigneur; be assured of that.”
“我将全心全意地帮助您,阁下,请放心。”

“How did it come about?”
“这是怎么回事?”

“At half past twelve the queen was with her women–”
“十二点半时,王后和她的侍女们在一起–”

“Where?”
“在哪里?”

“In her bedchamber–”
“在她的卧室内–”

“Go on.”
“继续说下去。”

“When someone came and brought her a handkerchief from her laundress.”
“当有人送她一条从洗衣女那里拿来的手帕时–”

“And then?”
“然后呢?”

“The queen immediately exhibited strong emotion; —
“王后立刻表现出强烈的情绪;” —

and despite the rouge with which her face was covered evidently turned pale–”
“尽管她脸上擦着胭脂,显然变得苍白–”

“And then, and then?”
“然后呢?”

“She then arose, and with altered voice, ‘Ladies,’ said she, ‘wait for me ten minutes, I shall soon return.’ —
“她立刻起身,并换了声音说:‘女士们,等我十分钟,我很快就回来。’” —

She then opened the door of her alcove, and went out.”
“然后她打开卧室的门,走了出去。”

“Why did not Madame de Lannoy come and inform you instantly?”
“为什么兰努瓦夫人没立即来通知您?”

“Nothing was certain; besides, her Majesty had said, ‘Ladies, wait for me,’ and she did not dare to disobey the queen.”
“什么都不确定;另外,陛下说过:‘女士们,等等我’,她不敢违抗女王。”

“How long did the queen remain out of the chamber?”
“女王在房间外面待了多久?”

“Three-quarters of an hour.”
“三刻钟。”

“None of her women accompanied her?”
“没有一个她的女侍陪她吗?”

“Only Donna Estafania.”
“只有唐娜·埃斯塔法妮娅。”

“Did she afterward return?”
“她之后回来了吗?”

“Yes; but only to take a little rosewood casket, with her cipher upon it, and went out again immediately.”
“回来了,但是只是拿了一个印有她密码的小红木匣子,然后立刻又出去了。”

“And when she finally returned, did she bring that casket with her?”
“最终她回来的时候,有没有带着那个匣子?”

“No.”
“没有。”

“Does Madame de Lannoy know what was in that casket?”
“拉努瓦夫人知道那个匣子里是什么吗?”

“Yes; the diamond studs which his Majesty gave the queen.”
“知道,是国王赠与女王的钻石领扣。”

“And she came back without this casket?”
“她回来的时候没有带着那个匣子?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Madame de Lannoy, then, is of opinion that she gave them to Buckingham?”
“那么拉努瓦夫人认为她把它们给了白金汉公爵?”

“She is sure of it.”
“她确信如此。”

“How can she be so?”
“她怎么会这样?”

“In the course of the day Madame de Lannoy, in her quality of tire-woman of the queen, looked for this casket, appeared uneasy at not finding it, and at length asked information of the queen.”
“在这一天里,兰努瓦夫人以女王的送女身份,寻找这个小盒,未能找到后显得不安,最终向女王询问情况。”

“And then the queen?”
“女王呢?”

“The queen became exceedingly red, and replied that having in the evening broken one of those studs, she had sent it to her goldsmith to be repaired.”
“女王变得非常红,回答说在晚上弄断了一个纽扣,已经送去金匠那里修理了。”

“He must be called upon, and so ascertain if the thing be true or not.”
“必须找他去核实事情的真假。”

“I have just been with him.”
“我刚刚和他在一起。”

“And the goldsmith?”
“金匠呢?”

“The goldsmith has heard nothing of it.”
“金匠没有听说过这件事。”

“Well, well! Rochefort, all is not lost; and perhaps–perhaps everything is for the best.”
“好吧,Rochefort,一切并没有失去;也许–也许一切都是最好的。”

“The fact is that I do not doubt your Eminence’s genius–”
“事实上,我不怀疑阁下的天才–”

“Will repair the blunders of his agent–is that it?”
“会弥补他手下的错误–是吗?”

“That is exactly what I was going to say, if your Eminence had let me finish my sentence.”
“如果阁下让我把话说完,那就是我要说的话。”

“Meanwhile, do you know where the Duchesse de Chevreuse and the Duke of Buckingham are now concealed?”
“那么,您知道Chevreuse公爵夫人和白金汉公爵现在躲在哪里吗?”

“No, monseigneur; my people could tell me nothing on that head.”
“不,阁下,我的手下也无法告诉我这个问题的情况。”

“But I know.”
“但我知道。”

“You, monseigneur?”
“大人,是您吗?”

“Yes; or at least I guess. They were, one in the Rue de Vaugirard, No. 25; —
“是的;或者至少我猜是。一个在沃吉拉大街25号; —

the other in the Rue de la Harpe, No. 75.”
另一个在拉阿普大街75号。

“Does your Eminence command that they both be instantly arrested?”
“大人,您下令立即逮捕他们吗?”

“It will be too late; they will be gone.”
“为时已晚;他们会走了。”

“But still, we can make sure that they are so.”
“但我们仍然可以确保他们走了。”

“Take ten men of my Guardsmen, and search the two houses thoroughly.”
“带上十名我的护卫队士兵,彻底搜查两处房屋。”

“Instantly, monseigneur.” And Rochefort went hastily out of the apartment.
“立即去,大人。”罗切福特匆匆离开了房间。

The cardinal being left alone, reflected for an instant and then rang the bell a third time. —
大主教独自一人后,沉思片刻,然后第三次按响了铃。 —

The same officer appeared.
同一个军官出现了。

“Bring the prisoner in again,” said the cardinal.
“再次带囚犯进来,” 大主教说道。

M. Bonacieux was introduced afresh, and upon a sign from the cardinal, the officer retired.
波纳谢先生被重新引入,大主教示意后,军官退出了。

“You have deceived me!” said the cardinal, sternly.
“你欺骗了我!” 大主教严厉地说道。

“I,” cried Bonacieux, “I deceive your Eminence!”
“我,” 波纳谢先生大叫道,” 我欺骗了您的尊贵!”

“Your wife, in going to Rue de Vaugirard and Rue de la Harpe, did not go to find linen drapers.”
“您的妻子去沃吉拉大街和拉阿普大街,并不是去找亚麻商店。”

“Then why did she go, just God?”
“那她为什么去了,天呐?”

“She went to meet the Duchesse de Chevreuse and the Duke of Buckingham.”
“她去见了切夫勒兹公爵和白金汉公爵。”

“Yes,” cried Bonacieux, recalling all his remembrances of the circumstances, “yes, that’s it. —
“是的,”波纳谢想起了所有的事情,说道,”是的,就是这样。” —

Your Eminence is right. I told my wife several times that it was surprising that linen drapers should live in such houses as those, in houses that had no signs; —
“大人说得对。我几次告诉我的妻子,亚麻布商住在没有标志的这种房子里,真是令人惊讶;但她总是笑着对我说。啊,大人!” —

but she always laughed at me. Ah, monseigneur!” —
波纳谢继续说,扑倒在大人的脚边,”啊,您真是枢机主教,大枢机主教,全世界都敬重的天才人物!” —

continued Bonacieux, throwing himself at his Eminence’s feet, “ah, how truly you are the cardinal, the great cardinal, the man of genius whom all the world reveres!”
无论波纳谢这种人渣被打败地多么卑劣,这让枢机主教享受了一瞬间;

The cardinal, however contemptible might be the triumph gained over so vulgar a being as Bonacieux, did not the less enjoy it for an instant; —
然后,几乎立刻,仿佛又想到了新的事情,董鸿石笑容满面,伸出手对商人说道:”起来吧,我的朋友,你是个值得尊敬的人。” —

then, almost immediately, as if a fresh thought has occurred, a smile played upon his lips, and he said, offering his hand to the mercer, “Rise, my friend, you are a worthy man.”
“枢机主教用手碰到了我!我摸过这位伟大人物的手!”波纳谢说道。

“The cardinal has touched me with his hand! —
“这位伟大人物称我为朋友!” —

I have touched the hand of the great man!” cried Bonacieux. —
“是的,我的朋友,是的,”枢机主教带着有时所装的父亲般的语气说道,但那种语气并没有骗到了了解他的人; —

“The great man has called me his friend!”
“既然你受到了不公正的怀疑,好吧,你应该得到赔偿。拿着这只有一百皮斯托勒的钱袋,原谅我吧。”

“Yes, my friend, yes,” said the cardinal, with that paternal tone which he sometimes knew how to assume, but which deceived none who knew him; —
“我原谅您,大人!”波纳谢犹豫地接过钱袋,无疑是害怕这份假装的礼物只是一个玩笑。 —

“and as you have been unjustly suspected, well, you must be indemnified. —
“我要赔偿你,大人!”他接着说。 —

Here, take this purse of a hundred pistoles, and pardon me.”
“在这里,拿着这只有一百皮斯托勒的钱袋,”枢机主教说道,同时伸出手,”并且请原谅我。”

“I pardon you, monseigneur!” said Bonacieux, hesitating to take the purse, fearing, doubtless, that this pretended gift was but a pleasantry. —
“您要原谅我,大人!”波纳谢说道,迟疑地接过钱袋,怕这个假装的礼物只是一个玩笑。 —

“But you are able to have me arrested, you are able to have me tortured, you are able to have me hanged; —
“但是你可以让我被逮捕,你可以让我受到折磨,你可以让我被绞死; —

you are the master, and I could not have the least word to say. —
你是主人,我一句话都不能说。 —

Pardon you, monseigneur! You cannot mean that!”
原谅您,阁下!您不可能是这个意思!”

“Ah, my dear Monsieur Bonacieux, you are generous in this matter. I see it and I thank you for it. —
“啊,我亲爱的波纳谢,您在这件事上十分慷慨。我看到了,我为此感谢您。 —

Thus, then, you will take this bag, and you will go away without being too malcontent.”
那么,您将拿着这个包,离开而不会太不满意。”

“I go away enchanted.”
“我离开时心满意足。”

“Farewell, then, or rather, AU REVOIR!”
“再见,或者说,再会!”

And the cardinal made him a sign with his hand, to which Bonacieux replied by bowing to the ground. —
红衣主教用手向他打了个手势,波纳谢则鞠躬至地回应。 —

He then went out backward, and when he was in the antechamber the cardinal heard him, in his enthusiasm, crying aloud, “Long life to the Monseigneur! —
他便背着身向外走去,当他走进门厅时,红衣主教听到他热情洋溢地高声说:“阁下万岁!” —

Long life to his Eminence! Long life to the great cardinal!” —
“大主教万岁!埃米南斯万岁!枢机主教万岁!” —

The cardinal listened with a smile to this vociferous manifestation of the feelings of M. Bonacieux; and then, when Bonacieux’s cries were no longer audible, “Good!” —
红衣主教微笑着听着波纳谢的喊声;然后,当波纳谢的呼喊声不再听得见时,“好!” —

said he, “that man would henceforward lay down his life for me.” —
他说,“那个人从此将为我献出生命。” —

And the cardinal began to examine with the greatest attention the map of La Rochelle, which, as we have said, lay open on the desk, tracing with a pencil the line in which the famous dyke was to pass which, eighteen months later, shut up the port of the besieged city. —
红衣主教开始非常认真地查看放在办公桌上的勒舍勒地图,用铅笔勾勒出后来封锁被围城市港口的著名堤道的线路。 —

As he was in the deepest of his strategic meditations, the door opened, and Rochefort returned.
正在全神贯注于战略思考之际,门打开了,洛切福回来了。

“Well?” said the cardinal, eagerly, rising with a promptitude which proved the degree of importance he attached to the commission with which he had charged the count.
“怎么样?”红衣主教急切地问道,迅速站起来,表明他对委托给伯爵的任务的重要性。

“Well,” said the latter, “a young woman of about twenty-six or twenty-eight years of age, and a man of from thirty-five to forty, have indeed lodged at the two houses pointed out by your Eminence; —
”“那位后者说,“一个大约二十六或二十八岁的年轻女子,和一个三十五到四十岁的男子,确实曾住在贵教官指出的这两间房子里; —

but the woman left last night, and the man this morning.”
但那位女子昨晚离开了,男子今早也离开了。”

“It was they!” cried the cardinal, looking at the clock; —
“他们就是!”枢机主教说着,看着时钟; —

“and now it is too late to have them persued. —
“现在追捕他们已经太迟了。 —

The duchess is at Tours, and the duke at Boulogne. —
公爵夫人在图尔,公爵在布洛涅。 —

It is in London they must be found.”
他们必须在伦敦找到。”

“What are your Eminence’s orders?”
“贵教官有何吩咐?”

“Not a word of what has passed. Let the queen remain in perfect security; —
“对外不得泄露已发生的事情。让女王保持绝对安全; —

let her be ignorant that we know her secret. —
让她一无所知,不要让她知道我们知道她的秘密。 —

Let her believe that we are in search of some conspiracy or other. —
让她相信我们正在追查某些其他阴谋。 —

Send me the keeper of the seals, Seguier.”
派遣国玺房长赛吉耶。”

“And that man, what has your Eminence done with him?”
“那个男子,贵教官对他做了什么?”

“What man?” asked the cardinal.
“什么男子?”枢机主教问。

“That Bonacieux.”
“那个博纳谢尔。”

“I have done with him all that could be done. I have made him a spy upon his wife.”
“我对他采取了一切可能的方式。我让他监视他的妻子。”

The Comte de Rochefort bowed like a man who acknowledges the superiority of the master as great, and retired.
罗什福尔伯爵像一个承认主人优越性的人一样鞠了一躬,然后离开了。

Left alone, the cardinal seated himself again and wrote a letter, which he secured with his special seal. —
独自一人时,枢机主教再次坐下来写了一封信,并加上了他的特殊印章。 —

Then he rang. The officer entered for the fourth time.
随后他按了铃。军官第四次进来。

“Tell Vitray to come to me,” said he, “and tell him to get ready for a journey.”
“告诉维特雷来见我,”他说,“并叫他为旅行做好准备。”

An instant after, the man he asked for was before him, booted and spurred.
一会儿后,他所要求的人已经在他面前,穿着靴子,准备好了。

“Vitray,” said he, “you will go with all speed to London. You must not stop an instant on the way. —
“维特雷,”他说,“你必须迅速前往伦敦。在路上切勿停留。 —

You will deliver this letter to Milady. Here is an order for two hundred pistoles; —
你将把这封信交给密蒂。这是两百比斯托勒的令状; —

call upon my treasurer and get the money. —
去找我的司库领取这笔钱。 —

You shall have as much again if you are back within six days, and have executed your commission well.”
如果你在六天内回来,并且执行了你的任务,你还将得到同等数额的奖励。”

The messenger, without replying a single word, bowed, took the letter, with the order for the two hundred pistoles, and retired.
这个信使没有说一句话,鞠了一躬,拿走了信、两百比斯托勒的令状,然后离开了。

Here is what the letter contained:
以下是信的内容:

MILADY, Be at the first ball at which the Duke of Buckingham shall be present. —
密蒂,当白金汉公爵出席第一个舞会时见他。 —

He will wear on his doublet twelve diamond studs; —
他的背心上将有十二颗钻石纽扣; —

get as near to him as you can, and cut off two.
尽可能靠近他,剪下两颗。

As soon as these studs shall be in your possession, inform me.
一旦你拿到了这些纽扣,请通知我。