HOW, WIHTOUT INCOMMODING HIMSELF, ATHOS PROCURES HIA EQUIPMENT
阿索斯如何在不使自己不方便的情况下准备了他的装备

D’Artagnan was so completely bewildered that without taking any heed of what might become of Kitty he ran at full speed across half Paris, and did not stop till he came to Athos’s door. —
达达尼昂完全被搞糊涂了,他毫不在意凯蒂可能会发生的事情,他全速穿过了半个巴黎,直到来到了阿索斯的门口才停下来。 —

The confusion of his mind, the terror which spurred him on, the cries of some of the patrol who started in pursuit of him, and the hooting of the people who, notwithstanding the early hour, were going to their work, only made him precipitate his course.
他心中的混乱,驱使他前进的恐惧,开始追捕他的巡逻队员的呼喊,以及尽管时间尚早,仍然前往工作的人们的嘲笑声,都只是让他加快了脚步。

He crossed the court, ran up the two flights to Athos’s apartment, and knocked at the door enough to break it down.
他穿过庭院,跑上两层楼到达阿索斯的公寓,敲门声足以敲倒门。

Grimaud came, rubbing his half-open eyes, to answer this noisy summons, and D’Artagnan sprang with such violence into the room as nearly to overturn the astonished lackey.
格里莫出来,揉着半睁的眼睛应对这嘈杂的召唤,而达达尼昂的冲力几乎让这位惊讶的仆人摔倒。

In spite of his habitual silence, the poor lad this time found his speech.
尽管他通常沉默寡言,这次可怜的小伙子找到了他的话。

“Holloa, there!” cried he; “what do you want, you strumpet? What’s your business here, you hussy?”
“喂,你这个人渣!你想干什么,婊子?你在这里有什么事,贱货?”

D’Artagnan threw off his hood, and disengaged his hands from the folds of the cloak. —
达达尼昂扔掉兜帽,双手从斗篷的褶皱中解脱出来。 —

At sight of the mustaches and the naked sword, the poor devil perceived he had to deal with a man. —
看到胡须和赤剑,可怜的家伙意识到他面对的是一个男人。 —

He then concluded it must be an assassin.
然后他得出结论,这一定是一个刺客。

“Help! murder! help!” cried he.
“救命!谋杀!救命!”他喊道。

“Hold your tongue, you stupid fellow!” said the young man; —
“闭嘴,你这个蠢家伙!”年轻人说, —

“I am D’Artagnan; don’t you know me? Where is your master?”
“我是达达尼昂;你不认识我吗?你的主人在哪里?”

“You, Monsieur D’Artagnan!” cried Grimaud, “impossible.”
“你,达达尼昂先生!”格里莫喊道,”不可能。”

“Grimaud,” said Athos, coming out of his apartment in a dressing gown, “Grimaud, I thought I heard you permitting yourself to speak?”
“格里莫,”阿索斯穿着睡袍走出卧室说,”格里莫,我听见你竟然允许自己说话?”

“Ah, monsieur, it is–”
“啊,先生,这是–”

“Silence!”
“安静!”

Grimaud contented himself with pointing D’Artagnan out to his master with his finger.
Grimaud只是用手指指了指达达尼昂给他的主人看。

Athos recognized his comrade, and phlegmatic as he was, he burst into a laugh which was quite excused by the strange masquerade before his eyes–petticoats falling over his shoes, sleeves tucked up, and mustaches stiff with agitation.
阿多斯认出了他的同伴,尽管他性情冷淡,但面对眼前这奇怪的装扮,他忍不住大笑——裙摆垂落在鞋子上,袖子卷起,胡须因激动而挺立。

“Don’t laugh, my friend!” cried D’Artagnan; —
“别笑,我的朋友!”达达尼昂喊道; —

“for heaven’s sake, don’t laugh, for upon my soul, it’s no laughing matter!”
“天哪,别笑,因为我发誓,这不是笑的事情!”

And he pronounced these words with such a solemn air and with such a real appearance of terror, that Athos eagerly seized his hand, crying, “Are you wounded, my friend? How pale you are!”
他说这些话时神色庄严,敬人,露出的恐惧之情是如此真实,以至于阿多斯急忙抓住他的手,喊道,“朋友,你受伤了吗?你脸色好苍白!”

“No, but I have just met with a terrible adventure! Are you alone, Athos?”
“没有,但我刚遭遇了一场可怕的冒险!阿多斯,你一个人吗?”

“PARBLEU! whom do you expect to find with me at this hour?”
“天啊!这个时候你指望我身边会有谁一起?”

“Well, well!” and D’Artagnan rushed into Athos’s chamber.
“好吧,好吧!”达达尼昂冲进了阿多斯的房间。

“Come, speak!” said the latter, closing the door and bolting it, that they might not be disturbed. —
“说吧!”后者说着,关上门,插上门栓,以免受打扰。 —

“Is the king dead? Have you killed the cardinal? You are quite upset! —
“国王死了吗?你杀了枢梅?你看起来很慌乱! —

Come, come, tell me; I am dying with curiosity and uneasiness!”
快说,我现在又好奇又担心!”

“Athos,” said D’Artagnan, getting rid of his female garments, and appearing in his shirt, “prepare yourself to hear an incredible, an unheard-of story.”
“阿多斯,”达达尼昂脱掉女装,露出衬衫,“准备听一个难以置信的,前所未闻的故事。”

“Well, but put on this dressing gown first,” said the Musketeer to his friend.
“好吧,但先穿上这件浴袍”,麻鹰对他的朋友说。

D’Artagnan donned the robe as quickly as he could, mistaking one sleeve for the other, so greatly was he still agitated.
达达尼安尽快穿上长袍,由于他仍然非常激动,错把一只袖子套进了另一只。

“Well?” said Athos.
“嗯?” 阿多斯说。

“Well,” replied D’Artagnan, bending his mouth to Athos’s ear, and lowering his voice, “Milady is marked with a FLEUR-DE-LIS upon her shoulder!”
“嗯,” 达达尼安回答道,把嘴凑到阿多斯的耳边,压低声音,“米蕾迪的肩膀上有一个法国王室的花徽!”

“Ah!” cried the Musketeer, as if he had received a ball in his heart.
麦士喊道,仿佛被击中了心脏。

“Let us see,” said D’Artagnan. “Are you SURE that the OTHER is dead?”
“让我们看看,” 达达尼安说。“你确信另一个人已经死了吗?”

“THE OTHER?” said Athos, in so stifled a voice that D’Artagnan scarcely heard him.
“另一个人?” 阿多斯的声音压得低得几乎听不见。

“Yes, she of whom you told me one day at Amiens.”
“是的,你在阿尔米恩有一天告诉我的那个人。”

Athos uttered a groan, and let his head sink on his hands.
阿多斯发出一声呻吟,低下头。

“This is a woman of twenty-six or twenty-eight years.”
“她大约二十六或二十八岁。”

“Fair,” said Athos, “is she not?”
“漂亮,不是吗?” 阿多斯说。

“Very.”
“非常。”

“Blue and clear eyes, of a strange brilliancy, with black eyelids and eyebrows?”
“蓝色而明亮的眼睛,带着黑色眼皮和眉毛?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Tall, well-made? She has lost a tooth, next to the eyetooth on the left?”
“高挑,身材匀称?她的左边眼齿旁边已经掉了一颗牙?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“The FLEUR-DE-LIS is small, rosy in color, and looks as if efforts had been made to efface it by the application of poultices?”
“百合花小而粉红,看起来好像曾试图通过敷膏药来抹除?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“But you say she is English?”
“但你说她是英国人?”

“She is called Milady, but she may be French. Lord de Winter is only her brother-in-law,”
“她被称为米蕾迪,但她可能是法国人。德·温特勋爵只是她的两姐夫。”

“I will see her, D’Artagnan!”
“我会去见她的,达达尼昂!”

“Beware, Athos, beware. You tried to kill her; —
“小心,阿索斯,小心。你试图杀死她; —

she is a woman to return you the like, and not to fail.”
她是一个会回敬你的女人,而且不会失败。”

“She will not dare to say anything; that would be to denounce herself.”
“她不敢说什么,那将是在揭露自己。”

“She is capable of anything or everything. Did you ever see her furious?”
“她什么事都做得出来。你曾见过她发狂吗?”

“No,” said Athos.
“没有,”阿索斯说。

“A tigress, a panther! Ah, my dear Athos, I am greatly afraid I have drawn a terrible vengeance on both of us!”
“一头老虎,一只黑豹!啊,我亲爱的阿索斯,我非常害怕我给我们两个招来了可怕的复仇!”

D’Artagnan then related all–the mad passion of Milady and her menaces of death.
达达尼昂随即把一切都讲了一遍–米蕾迪的疯狂激情和她对死亡的威胁。

“You are right; and upon my soul, I would give my life for a hair,” said Athos. “Fortunately, the day after tomorrow we leave Paris. We are going according to all probability to La Rochelle, and once gone–”
“你说得对;如果付出一根头发,我愿意赎回我的生命。”阿索斯说。“幸运的是,后天我们就要离开巴黎了。我们很可能要去拉罗谢尔,一旦我们走了–”

“She will follow you to the end of the world, Athos, if she recognizes you. —
“如果她认出了你,她会一直跟随你到世界尽头,阿索斯。 —

Let her, then, exhaust her vengeance on me alone!”
让她把她的复仇全部发泄在我身上!”

“My dear friend, of what consequence is it if she kills me?” —
“亲爱的朋友,她杀了我又有什么关系呢?” —

said Athos. “Do you, perchance, think I set any great store by life?”
阿多斯说:“难道你认为我很重视生命吗?”

“There is something horribly mysterious under all this, Athos; —
“这一切下面肯定隐藏着一些可怕的秘密,阿多斯; —

this woman is one of the cardinal’s spies, I am sure of that.”
我确信这个女人是红衣主教的间谍。”

“In that case, take care! If the cardinal does not hold you in high admiration for the affair of London, he entertains a great hatred for you; —
“如果是这样,你要小心!如果红衣主教对于伦敦一事并不很钦佩你,那他却对你怀有极大的仇恨; —

but as, considering everything, he cannot accuse you openly, and as hatred must be satisfied, particularly when it’s a cardinal’s hatred, take care of yourself. —
但由于整体情况,他无法公开指控你,因为仇恨必须得到满足,尤其是当那是一位红衣主教的仇恨,你要小心自己。 —

If you go out, do not go out alone; when you eat, use every precaution. —
如果你出门,不要单独行动;吃饭时,要小心谨慎。 —

Mistrust everything, in short, even your own shadow.”
总之,无论如何要多加小心,甚至防备自己的影子。”

“Fortunately,” said D’Artagnan, “all this will be only necessary till after tomorrow evening, for when once with the army, we shall have, I hope, only men to dread.”
“幸运的是,”达达尼安说,“这一切只需要在明天晚些时候之后才会必要,因为一旦加入了军队,我希望我们只需担心敌人。”

“In the meantime,” said Athos, “I renounce my plan of seclusion, and wherever you go, I will go with you. —
“在此期间,”阿多斯说,“我放弃了隐居的计划,无论你去哪里,我都会跟着你。 —

You must return to the Rue des Fossoyeurs; —
你必须回到墓掘街; —

I will accompany you.”
我会陪伴你。”

“But however near it may be,” replied D’Artagnan, “I cannot go thither in this quise.”
“但无论多么近,”达达尼安回答说,“我不能穿着这身装束去那里。”

“That’s true,” said Athos, and he rang the bell.
“说的对,”阿多斯说,然后按响了铃。

Grimaud entered.
格里摩进来了。

Athos made him a sign to go to D’Artagnan’s residence, and bring back some clothes. —
阿多斯向他打了一个手势,让他去达达尼昂的住所,带回一些衣服。 —

Grimaud replied by another sign that be understood perfectly, and set off.
格里莫回答了另一个手势,表示他完全理解,并出发了。

“All this will not advance your outfit,” said Athos; —
“所有这些都不会提升你的着装,”阿多斯说; —

“for if I am not mistaken, you have left the best of your apparel with Milady, and she will certainly not have the politeness to return it to you. —
“因为如果我没记错,你已经把你最好的服装留给了米莉迪,她肯定不会客气地把它还给你。 —

Fortunately, you have the sapphire.”
幸运的是,你还有蓝宝石。”

“The jewel is yours, my dear Athos! Did you not tell me it was a family jewel?”
“这件珠宝是你的,我亲爱的阿多斯!你不是告诉过我这是家传珠宝吗?”

“Yes, my grandfather gave two thousand crowns for it, as he once told me. —
“是的,我爷爷为它花了两千法郎,他曾经告诉过我。 —

It formed part of the nuptial present he made his wife, and it is magnificent. —
这是他送给妻子的婚礼礼物的一部分,它非常华丽。 —

My mother gave it to me, and I, fool as I was, instead of keeping the ring as a holy relic, gave it to this wretch.”
我母亲把它给了我,而我,真是个傻瓜,竟然把它给了这个恶棍。”

“Then, my friend, take back this ring, to which I see you attach much value.”
“那么,我的朋友,拿回这枚戒指,我看你很重视它。”

“I take back the ring, after it has passed through the hands of that infamous creature Never; —
“我拿回这枚戒指,经过了那个可耻生物的手 Never; —

that ring is defiled, D’Artagnan.
那枚戒指已经被亵渎了,达达尼昂。

“Sell it, then.”
“那就把它卖了。”

“Sell a jewel which came from my mother! I vow I should consider it a profanation.”
“卖掉一枚来自我母亲的珠宝!我发誓我会认为那是渎神圣的。”

“Pledge it, then; you can borrow at least a thousand crowns on it. —
“那就抵押它;至少你可以借到一千法郎。” —

With that sum you can extricate yourself from your present difficulties; —
有了那笔钱,你就能摆脱目前的困境; —

and when you are full of money again, you can redeem it, and take it back cleansed from its ancient stains, as it will have passed through the hands of usurers.”
等你再次财源滚滚,就可以赎回它,把它从古老的污点中洗净,因为它将经手高利贷者。

Athos smiled.
阿多斯笑了。

“You are a capital companion, D’Artagnan,” said be; —
“你是个了不起的伙伴,达达尼昂,”他说; —

“your never-failing cheerfulness raises poor souls in affliction. —
“你那永不缺乏的开朗,能让处在困境中的人振作起来。 —

Well, let us pledge the ring, but upon one condition.”
好吧,让我们拿戒指担保,但有一个条件。

“What?”
“什么条件?”

“That there shall be five hundred crowns for you, and five hundred crowns for me.”
“就是你拿五百金币,我拿五百金币。”

“Don’t dream it, Athos. I don’t need the quarter of such a sum–I who am still only in the Guards–and by selling my saddles, I shall procure it. —
“别做梦了,阿多斯。我根本不需要那么多,我还只是个禁卫军,卖掉我的马鞍就可以弄到。 —

What do I want? A horse for Planchet, that’s all. —
我需要什么?就是给普兰谢一个马,仅此而已。 —

Besides, you forget that I have a ring likewise.”
你还忘了我也有一个戒指。”

“To which you attach more value, it seems, than I do to mine; at least, I have thought so.”
“看来你对你的戒指比我对我的还看重,至少我一直以为是这样。”

“Yes, for in any extreme circumstance it might not only extricate us from some great embarrassment, but even a great danger. —
“是的,因为在任何极端情况下,它不仅可以让我们摆脱某种困境,甚至一种巨大的危险。 —

It is not only a valuable diamond, but it is an enchanted talisman.”
它不仅是一颗珍贵的钻石,而且是一种被施咒的护身符。”

“I don’t at all understand you, but I believe all you say to be true. —
“我完全不明白你在说什么,但我相信你说的一切都是真的。” —

Let us return to my ring, or rather to yours. —
让我们回到我的戒指,或者说是你的戒指。 —

You shall take half the sum that will be advanced upon it, or I will throw it into the Seine; —
你将得到抵押在其上的一半款项,否则我就把它扔进塞纳河; —

and I doubt, as was the case with Polycrates, whether any fish will be sufficiently complaisant to bring it back to us.”
就像波利克拉底一样,我怀疑是否会有任何鱼会如此巧妙地把它带回来给我们。”

“Well, I will take it, then,” said D’Artagnan.
“好吧,那么我就拿了它,”达达尼安说。

At this moment Grimaud returned, accompanied by Planchet; —
就在这时,格里莫回来了,带着普兰谢; —

the latter, anxious about his master and curious to know what had happened to him, had taken advantage of the opportunity and brought the garments himself.
后者着急地关心着他的主人,对发生了什么事感到好奇,他利用机会自己带来了衣服。

D’Artagnan dressed himself, and Athos did the same. —
达达尼安穿好衣服,阿多斯也一样。 —

When the two were ready to go out, the latter made Grimaud the sign of a man taking aim, and the lackey immediately took down his musketoon, and prepared to follow his master.
当两人准备出门时,后者用手指了一个瞄准的姿势,缟着立刻拿下他的火枪,准备跟随他的主人。

They arrived without accident at the Rue des Fossoyeurs. —
他们顺利到达了幽鬱街。 —

Bonacieux was standing at the door, and looked at D’Artagnan hatefully.
邦纳謝站在门口,恨恨地看着达达尼安。

“Make haste, dear lodger,” said he; “there is a very pretty girl waiting for you upstairs; —
“快点,亲爱的房客,”他说;”楼上有一位非常漂亮的女孩在等你; —

and you know women don’t like to be kept waiting.”
而你知道,女人可不喜欢被等待。

“That’s Kitty!” said D’Artagnan to himself, and darted into the passage.
这是凯蒂!”达达尼安心里想,冲进了走廊。

Sure enough! Upon the landing leading to the chamber, and crouching against the door, he found the poor girl, all in a tremble. —
果然!在通往房间的楼梯上,贴在门上蹲着,他发现那个可怜的女孩,全身都在颤抖。 —

As soon as she perceived him, she cried, “You have promised your protection; —
一看到他,她就哭了起来,“你曾经答应过保护我; —

you have promised to save me from her anger. —
你答应过要救我免于她的愤怒。 —

Remember, it is you who have ruined me!”
记住,是你毁了我!”

“Yes, yes, to be sure, Kitty,” said D’Artagnan; —
“是的,是的,当然了,凯蒂,” 达达尼安说; —

“be at ease, my girl. But what happened after my departure?”
“放心,我的姑娘。但我离开后发生了什么?”

“How can I tell!” said Kitty. “The lackeys were brought by the cries she made. —
“我怎么告诉你呢!” 凯蒂说。“仆人们被她的哭声吵醒了。 —

She was mad with passion. There exist no imprecations she did not pour out against you. —
她被激情冲昏头脑。她对你痛骂不绝。 —

Then I thought she would remember it was through my chamber you had penetrated hers, and that then she would suppose I was your accomplice; —
然后我想她会记得是你通过我的房间进入她的,然后她会认为我是你的同谋; —

so I took what little money I had and the best of my things, and I got away.
所以我拿了我手头上的零钱和最好的东西,就溜了。

“Poor dear girl! But what can I do with you? I am going away the day after tomorrow.”
“可怜的宝贝!但我能为你做什么?我后天就要离开了。”

“Do what you please, Monsieur Chevalier. Help me out of Paris; help me out of France!”
“对不起,骑士先生。帮我离开巴黎;帮我离开法国!”

“I cannot take you, however, to the siege of La Rochelle,” aid D’Artagnan.
“我不能带你去拉罗谢尔的围困,” 达达尼安说。

“No; but you can place me in one of the provinces with some lady of your acquaintance–in your own country, for instance.”
“不;但你可以把我送到某个你认识的女士那里–比如在你的国家。

“My dear little love! In my country the ladies do without chambermaids. But stop! —
“我的宝贝小爱人!在我的国家,女士们不需要女仆。等等! —

I can manage your business for you. Planchet, go and find Aramis. —
我可以帮你接洽。普兰切,去找阿拉米斯。 —

Request him to come here directly. We have something very important to say to him.”
请求他立马过来。我们有很重要的事要和他商议。”

“I understand,” said Athos; “but why not Porthos? I should have thought that his duchess–”
“我明白了,”阿多斯说,“但为什么不是波尔多斯呢?我本以为他的公爵夫人——”

“Oh, Porthos’s duchess is dressed by her husband’s clerks,” said D’Artagnan, laughing. —
“噢,波尔多斯的公爵夫人是由她丈夫的职员打扮的,”达达尼安笑着说。 —

“Besides, Kitty would not like to live in the Rue aux Ours. Isn’t it so, Kitty?”
“而且,基蒂不会喜欢住在熊街。对吧,基蒂?”

“I do not care where I live,” said Kitty, “provided I am well concealed, and nobody knows where I am.”
“我不在乎住在哪里,”基蒂说,“只要我藏得好,没有人知道我在哪里。”

“Meanwhile, Kitty, when we are about to separate, and you are no longer jealous of me–”
“与此同时,基蒂,当我们即将分开,你不再嫉妒我——”

“Monsieur Chevalier, far off or near,” said Kitty, “I shall always love you.”
“骑士先生,远或近,”基蒂说,“我永远爱你。”

“Where the devil will constancy niche itself next?” murmured Athos.
“下一个会在哪里找到忠诚呢?”阿多斯低声说。

“And I, also,” said D’Artagnan, “I also. I shall always love you; be sure of that. —
“我也一样,”达达尼安说,“我也是。我将永远爱你,放心吧。” —

But now answer me. I attach great importance to the question I am about to put to you. —
“但现在回答我。我对我即将提出的问题非常重视。” —

Did you never hear talk of a young woman who was carried off one night?”
“你有没有听说过有一个年轻女人在一天晚上被劫持的事情?”

“There, now! Oh, Monsieur Chevalier, do you love that woman still?”
“瞧,请吧!哦,骑士先生,你还爱那个女人吗?”

“No, no; it is one of my friends who loves her–Monsieur Athos, this gentleman here.”
“不,不,那是我的一个朋友爱着她——阿多斯先生,就是这位绅士。”

“I?” cried Athos, with an accent like that of a man who perceives he is about to tread upon an adder.
“我?”阿多斯大声说,语气像是一个发现自己即将踩在毒蛇上的人。

“You, to be sure!” said D’Artagnan, pressing Athos’s hand. —
“是的,当然!”达达尼安说着,握住阿多斯的手。 —

“You know the interest we both take in this poor little Madame Bonacieux. —
“你知道我们两个对这个可怜的小博纳西欧太太都有多么关心。” —

Besides, Kitty will tell nothing; will you, Kitty? —
另外,基蒂什么也不会说;是吧,基蒂? —

You understand, my dear girl,” continued D’Artagnan, “she is the wife of that frightful baboon you saw at the door as you came in.”
“你懂得吧,我亲爱的女孩,”达达尼安继续说道,“她就是你进来时见到的那只可怕的狒狒的妻子。”

“Oh, my God! You remind me of my fright! If he should have known me again!”
“哦,我的上帝!你提醒我了我当时的恐惧!如果他认出了我呢!”

“How? know you again? Did you ever see that man before?”
“怎么?认出你了?你以前见过那个人?”

“He came twice to Milady’s.”
“他两次来找米莱迪。”

“That’s it. About what time?”
“就是这样。大约什么时候?”

“Why, about fifteen or eighteen days ago.”
“嗯,大约十五到十八天前。”

“Exactly so.”
“完全正确。”

“And yesterday evening he came again.”
“昨天晚上他又来了。”

“Yesterday evening?”
“昨天晚上?”

“Yes, just before you came.”
“是的,在你来之前。”

“My dear Athos, we are enveloped in a network of spies. —
“我亲爱的阿索斯,我们被间谍网所包围。” —

And do you believe he knew you again, Kitty?”
“你相信他认出了你,基蒂吗?”

“I pulled down my hood as soon as I saw him, but perhaps it was too late.”
“我一看到他就把帽子拉下来了,但也许为时已晚。”

“Go down, Athos–he mistrusts you less than me–and see if he be still at his door.”
“下去看看,阿索斯,他比我更不怀疑你——看看他是否还在门口。”

Athos went down and returned immediately.
阿索斯走下楼,立刻回来了。

“He has gone,” said he, “and the house door is shut.”
“他走了,” 他说,”房门已经关上了。”

“He has gone to make his report, and to say that all the pigeons are at this moment in the dovecot”
“他去做报告,说所有的信鸽此刻都在鸽舍里。”

“Well, then, let us all fly,” said Athos, “and leave nobody here but Planchet to bring us news.”
“好吧,让我们都飞走吧,” 阿索斯说,”只留下普朗谢为我们带来消息。”

“A minute. Aramis, whom we have sent for!”
“等一下。阿拉米斯,我们派人去叫他了!”

“That’s true,” said Athos; “we must wait for Aramis.”
“没错,” 阿索斯说,”我们必须等阿拉米斯。”

At that moment Aramis entered.
就在那时,阿拉米斯进来了。

The matter was all explained to him, and the friends gave him to understand that among all his high connections he must find a place for Kitty.
事情向他解释了,朋友们让他明白,在他所有的贵族关系中,他必须为基蒂找个地方。

Aramis reflected for a minute, and then said, coloring, “Will it be really rendering you a service, D’Artagnan?”
阿拉米斯沉思了一会儿,然后说,脸红了: “这样对你真的有帮助吗,达达尼昂?”

“I shall be grateful to you all my life.”
“我会永远感激你的。”

“Very well. Madame de Bois-Tracy asked me, for one of her friends who resides in the provinces, I believe, for a trustworthy maid. —
“好吧。德博特拉西夫人求我替她的一个住在省外的朋友找一个可靠的女仆。 —

If you can, my dear D’Artagnan, answer for Mademoiselle-”
如果你能,我亲爱的达达尼昂,为小姐担保-”

“Oh, monsieur, be assured that I shall be entirely devoted to the person who will give me the means of quitting Paris.”
“哦,先生,请放心,我会全心全意地服侍那个让我离开巴黎的人。”

“Then,” said Aramis, “this falls out very well.”
“那么,” 阿拉米斯说,”这很合适。”

He placed himself at the table and wrote a little note which he sealed with a ring, and gave the billet to Kitty.
他坐在桌边,写了一张小纸条,用戒指盖了盖,把条子给了基蒂。

“And now, my dear girl,” said D’Artagnan, “you know that it is not good for any of us to be here. —
“现在,我亲爱的女孩,”达达尼昂说,“你知道我们任何人都呆在这里不是件好事。 —

Therefore let us separate. We shall meet again in better days.”
因此让我们分开吧。我们会在更好的日子再见。”

“And whenever we find each other, in whatever place it may be,” said Kitty, “you will find me loving you as I love you today.”
“无论我们在何处重逢,”凯蒂说,“你会发现我像今天这样爱你。”

“Dicers’ oaths!” said Athos, while D’Artagnan went to conduct Kitty downstairs.
“赌徒的誓言!”阿多斯说,达达尼昂去带凯蒂下楼。

An instant afterward the three young men separated, agreeing to meet again at four o’clock with Athos, and leaving Planchet to guard the house.
接着三个年轻人立刻分开,同意在四点再次与阿多斯见面,让普朗谢守护房子。

Aramis returned home, and Athos and D’Artagnan busied themselves about pledging the sapphire.
阿拉米斯回到家里,阿多斯和达达尼昂忙着将蓝宝石抵押。

As the Gascon had foreseen, they easily obtained three hundred pistoles on the ring. —
正如加斯康人预见的那样,他们很容易就用那枚戒指得到了三百金币。 —

Still further, the Jew told them that if they would sell it to him, as it would make a magnificent pendant for earrings, he would give five hundred pistoles for it.
此外,犹太人告诉他们,如果把它卖给他,因为它可以做成耳环的华丽吊坠,他愿意出五百金币。

Athos and D’Artagnan, with the activity of two soldiers and the knowledge of two connoisseurs, hardly required three hours to purchase the entire equipment of the Musketeer. —
阿多斯和达达尼昂,以两名士兵的活力和两名行家的知识,几乎不用三个小时就购买了金士兵的整套装备。 —

Besides, Athos was very easy, and a noble to his fingers’ ends. —
此外,阿多斯非常大方,也是位出生高贵的人。 —

When a thing suited him he paid the price demanded, without thinking to ask for any abatement. —
当一样东西他合心意时,他就付出要求的代价,从不想着讨价还价。 —

D’Artagnan would have remonstrated at this; —
达达尼昂本想提出异议; —

but Athos put his hand upon his shoulder, with a smile, and D’Artagnan understood that it was all very well for such a little Gascon gentleman as himself to drive a bargain, but not for a man who had the bearing of a prince. —
但阿多斯笑着把手搭在他肩上,达达尼昂明白说,这一切对于他这样一个像他一样的加斯康绅士来说是可以讨价还价,但对于一个有着王子气质的人来说不行。 —

The Musketeer met with a superb Andalusian horse, black as jet, nostrils of fire, legs clean and elegant, rising six years. —
骑士遇到了一匹极好的安达卢西亚马,乌黑如墨,鼻孔冒火,腿部干净优雅,六岁。 —

He examined him, and found him sound and without blemish. —
他仔细检查了,发现它健康无瑕。 —

They asked a thousand livres for him.
他们要求一千里弗尔买下他。

He might perhaps have been bought for less; —
也许可以以更低的价格购买他; —

but while D’Artagnan was discussing the price with the dealer, Athos was counting out the money on the table.
但当达达尼安和交易商讨论价格时,阿多斯正在桌子上数钱。

Grimaud had a stout, short Picard cob, which cost three hundred livres.
格里莫有一匹结实的、矮小的毛皮马,花费三百里弗尔。

But when the saddle and arms for Grimaud were purchased, Athos had not a son left of his hundred and fifty pistoles. —
但当为格里莫购买鞍具和武器时,阿多斯手上的一百五十齎士已经花光了。 —

D’Artagnan offered his friend a part of his share which he should return when convenient.
达达尼安提出与他的朋友分享一部分,等方便时再归还。

But Athos only replied to this proposal by shrugging his shoulders.
但阿多斯只是耸耸肩回应了这个提议。

“How much did the Jew say he would give for the sapphire if be purchased it?” said Athos.
“犹太人说如果他买下这颗蓝宝石他会付多少钱?”阿多斯问。

“Five hundred pistoles.”
“五百齎士。”

“That is to say, two hundred more–a hundred pistoles for you and a hundred pistoles for me. —
“也就是说,还要再多两百齎士–一百齎士给你,一百齎士给我。” —

Well, now, that would be a real fortune to us, my friend; —
“好了,现在,这对我们来说就是一笔真正的财富,我的朋友; —

let us go back to the Jew’s again.”
我们再去犹太人那里吧。”

“What! “will you–”
“什么!你要–”

“This ring would certainly only recall very bitter remembrances; —
“这枚戒指肯定只会让人想起非常痛苦的回忆; —

then we shall never be masters of three hundred pistoles to redeem it, so that we really should lose two hundred pistoles by the bargain. —
那我们永远也不可能有三百齎士来赎回它,所以我们实际上将失去两百齎士的交易。” —

Go and tell him the ring is his, D’Artagnan, and bring back the two hundred pistoles with you.”
去告诉他戒指是他的,达达尼昂,把两百皮斯托勒斯带回来。

“Reflect, Athos!”
“反思一下,阿索斯!”

“Ready money is needful for the present time, and we must learn how to make sacrifices. —
“眼下需要现钱,我们必须学会牺牲。 —

Go, D’Artagnan, go; Grimaud will accompany you with his musketoon.”
去吧,达达尼昂,去吧;格里莫会带着他的火铳跟着你。”

A half hour afterward, D’Artagnan returned with the two thousand livres, and without having met with any accident.
半小时之后,达达尼昂带着两千里弗尔回来了,没有遇到任何意外。

It was thus Athos found at home resources which he did not expect.
就这样,阿索斯发现了家里意外的资源。