TWO VARIETIES OF DEMONS
两种不同的恶魔

“Ah,” cried Milady and Rochefort together, “it is you!”
“啊,”米莱迪和罗切福同时喊道,”是你!”

“Yes, it is I.”
“是我。”

“And you come?” asked Milady.
“你来了?”米莱迪问道。

“From La Rochelle; and you?”
“从La Rochelle来;你呢?”

“From England.”
“从英格兰来。”

“Buckingham?”
“巴克汉姆?”

“Dead or desperately wounded, as I left without having been able to hear anything of him. —
“死了或者重伤,我离开的时候都没能听到他的消息。” —

A fanatic has just assassinated him.”
“一个狂热者刚刚暗杀了他。”

“Ah,” said Rochefort, with a smile; “this is a fortunate chance–one that will delight his Eminence! —
“啊,”罗切福笑着说,”这真是一个幸运的机会–这将让他的尊贵开心!” —

Have you informed him of it?”
“你告诉他了吗?”

“I wrote to him from Boulogne. But what brings you here?”
“我从布洛涅给他写信了。那你为什么在这里?”

“His Eminence was uneasy, and sent me to find you.”
“他的尊贵很担心,派我来找你。”

“I only arrived yesterday.”
“我昨天才到的。”

“And what have you been doing since yesterday?”
“你昨天以来都在干什么?”

“I have not lost my time.”
“我没有浪费时间。”

“Oh, I don’t doubt that.”
“哦,我不怀疑这一点。”

“Do you know whom I have encountered here?”
“你知道我在这里碰到了谁吗?”

“No.”
“不知道。”

“Guess.”
“猜猜看吧。”

“How can I?”
“我怎么能猜得出?”

“That young woman whom the queen took out of prison.”
“那个女孩,被皇后从监狱里带出来的那个。”

“The mistress of that fellow D’Artagnan?”
“那个家伙达达尼昂的情妇吗?”

“Yes; Madame Bonacieux, with whose retreat the cardinal was unacquainted.”
“是的;邦娜席尤夫人,这件座事,枢机主教尚未得知。”

“Well, well,” said Rochefort, “here is a chance which may pair off with the other! —
“唔,唔,”罗切福特说,“这个机会似乎能与另一个配对! —

Monsieur Cardinal is indeed a privileged man!”
枢机主教确实是一个特权人!”

“Imagine my astonishment,” continued Milady, “when I found myself face to face with this woman!”
“想象一下我当时的惊讶,”米莱迪继续说,“当我发现自己与这个女人面对面时!”

“Does she know you?”
“她认识你吗?”

“No.”
“不。”

“Then she looks upon you as a stranger?”
“那么她把你当作陌生人看待?”

Milady smiled. “I am her best friend.”
米莱迪微笑着说。“我是她最好的朋友。”

“Upon my honor,” said Rochefort, “it takes you, my dear countess, to perform such miracles!”
“以我的荣誉说,”罗切福特说,“亲爱的女伯爵,你做这种奇迹!”

“And it is well I can, Chevalier,” said Milady, “for do you know what is going on here?”
“这正是我所能做到的,骑士,”米莱迪说,“你知道这里正在发生什么吗?”

“No.”
“没有。”

“They will come for her tomorrow or the day after, with an order from the queen.”
“他们明天或后天会来找她,带着皇后的令状。”

“Indeed! And who?”
“真的吗!是谁?”

“D’Artagnan and his friends.”
“达达尼昂和他的朋友们。”

“Indeed, they will go so far that we shall be obliged to send them to the Bastille.”
“确实,他们会继续下去,我们将不得不把他们送去巴士底狱。”

“Why is it not done already?”
“为什么还不做呢?”

“What would you? The cardinal has a weakness for these men which I cannot comprehend.”
“你说什么?红衣主教对这些人有一种我无法理解的弱点。”

“Indeed!”
“真的吗!”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Well, then, tell him this, Rochefort. Tell him that our conversation at the inn of the Red Dovecot was overheard by these four men; —
“那么,告诉他这些,洛切福。告诉他在红鸽舍旅店我们的谈话被这四个人听到了; —

tell him that after his departure one of them came up to me and took from me by violence the safe-conduct which he had given me; —
告诉他在他离开后,其中一个人走到我面前,用暴力夺走了他给我的保护通行证; —

tell him they warned Lord de Winter of my journey to England; —
告诉他他们警告了德温特勋爵我前往英格兰的旅程; —

that this time they nearly foiled my mission as they foiled the affair of the studs; —
这次他们几乎使我的任务失败,就像他们使小蹄事件失败一样; —

tell him that among these four men two only are to be feared–D’Artagnan and Athos; —
告诉他在这四个人中,只有两个值得畏惧–达达尼昂和阿多斯; —

tell him that the third, Aramis, is the lover of Madame de Chevreuse–he may be left alone, we know his secret, and it may be useful; —
告诉他第三个,阿拉米斯,是沙河公爵夫人的情人–他可以留着单独,我们知道他的秘密,这可能有用; —

as to the fourth, Porthos, he is a fool, a simpleton, a blustering booby, not worth troubling himself about.”
至于第四个,波尔多,他是个傻瓜,一个傻瓜,一个吹嘘的蠢货,不值得费心思。”

“But these four men must be now at the siege of La Rochelle?”
“但这四个人现在必须在洛歇尔的围城事件中了吧?”

“I thought so, too; but a letter which Madame Bonacieux has received from Madame the Constable, and which she has had the imprudence to show me, leads me to believe that these four men, on the contrary, are on the road hither to take her away.”
“我也是这样想的;但芭娜丝有尼欣收到了土里的来信,而她愚蠢地让我看了,这让我相信这四个人相反,正朝这里的路上来带她走。”

“The devil! What’s to be done?”
“该死!该怎么办?”

“What did the cardinal say about me?”
“红衣主教说了什么关于我?”

“I was to take your dispatches, written or verbal, and return by post; —
“我要带走您的书信,无论是书面还是口头的,然后通过邮寄返回;” —

and when he shall know what you have done, he will advise what you have to do.”
“当他知道您做了什么之后,他会建议您该怎么做。”

“I must, then, remain here?”
“那么我就必须留在这里?”

“Here, or in the neighborhood.”
“在这里,或者附近。”

“You cannot take me with you?”
“您不能带我走吗?”

“No, the order is imperative. Near the camp you might be recognized; —
“不行,命令是明确的。在营地附近您可能会被认出来;” —

and your presence, you must be aware, would compromise the cardinal.”
“您应该知道,您的存在会使红衣主教陷于危险。”

“Then I must wait here, or in the neighborhood?”
“那么我必须在这里等待,或者在附近?”

“Only tell me beforehand where you will wait for intelligence from the cardinal; —
“只要事先告诉我您会在哪里等候红衣主教的消息;” —

let me now always where to find you.”
“让我始终知道在哪找到您。”

“Observe, it is probable that I may not be able to remain here.”
“请注意,我可能无法一直留在这里。”

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“You forget that my enemies may arrive at any minute.”
“您忘了我的敌人随时可能到来。”

“That’s true; but is this little woman, then, to escape his Eminence?”
“那就是真的;但这位小女士难道能逃过他的阁下吗?”

“Bah!” said Milady, with a smile that belonged only to herself; —
“嘿!”米莱迪笑着说,这种笑容只属于她自己; —

“you forget that I am her best friend.”
“你忘了我是她最好的朋友。”

“Ah, that’s true! I may then tell the cardinal, with respect to this little woman–”
“啊,那是真的!我可以告诉红衣主教,关于这位小女人–”

“That he may be at ease.”
“这样他可以安心。”

“Is that all?”
“就这样?”

“He will now what that means.”
“他会知道那意味着什么。”

“He will guess, at least. Now, then, what had I better do?”
“至少他会猜到。那么,我现在该怎么办?”

“Return instantly. It appears to me that the news you bear is worth the trouble of a little diligence.”
“立刻回去。我觉得你带来的消息值得多费点功夫。”

“My chaise broke down coming into Lilliers.”
“我的马车在进入Lilliers时抛锚了。”

“Capital!”
“太好了!”

“What, CAPITAL?”
“什么,太好了?”

“Yes, I want your chaise.”
“是的,我想要你的马车。”

“And how shall I travel, then?”
“那我该怎么旅行?”

“On horseback.”
“骑马。”

“You talk very comfortably,–a hundred and eighty leagues!”
“你说得很轻松,一百八十里!”

“What’s that?”
“那是什么?”

“One can do it! Afterward?”
“一个人可以做到!之后呢?”

“Afterward? Why, in passing through Lilliers you will send me your chaise, with an order to your servant to place himself at my disposal.”
“之后呢?在路过利里厄的时候,你会派你的马车送我,带着一纸令让你的仆人听从我的安排。”

“Well.”
“好吧。”

“You have, no doubt, some order from the cardinal about you?”
“你身上肯定有一纸纪念品的指示吧?”

“I have my FULL POWER.”
“我有我的全部权力。”

“Show it to the abbess, and tell her that someone will come and fetch me, either today or tomorrow, and that I am to follow the person who presents himself in your name.”
“拿出来给修女看看,告诉她会有人前来接我,今天或明天,我会跟随以你名义出现的人。”

“Very well.”
“好的。”

“Don’t forget to treat me harshly in speaking of me to the abbess.”
“别忘了在跟修女提起我的事时苛刻对待我。”

“To what purpose?”
“这有什么意义?”

“I am a victim of the cardinal. It is necessary to inspire confidence in that poor little Madame Bonacieux.”
“我是主教的牺牲品。必须让那可怜的Bonacieux夫人产生信任。”

“That’s true. Now, will you make me a report of all that has happened?”
“说得对。现在,你会为我做一个报告吗?”

“Why, I have related the events to you. You have a good memory; —
“我已经向你讲述了事件。你记性不错; —

repeat what I have told you. A paper may be lost.”
重复我告诉过你的内容。文件可能会丢失。”

“You are right; only let me know where to find you that I may not run needlessly about the neighborhood.”
“你说得对;只是告诉我在哪里找到你,这样我就不会在附近乱跑了。”

“That’s correct; wait!”
“对,等一下!”

“Do you want a map?”
“你想要地图吗?”

“Oh, I know this country marvelously!”
“哦,我非常了解这个国家!”

“You? When were you here?”
“你?你什么时候来到这里的?”

“I was brought up here.”
“我是在这里长大的。”

“Truly?”
“真的吗?”

“It is worth something, you see, to have been brought up somewhere.”
“在某地长大确实是件值得的事情。”

“You will wait for me, then?”
“那么你会等我吗?”

“Let me reflect a little! Ay, that will do–at Armentieres.”
“让我考虑一下!啊,去Armentieres吧。”

“Where is that Armentieres?”
“Armentieres在哪里?”

“A little town on the Lys; I shall only have to cross the river, and I shall be in a foreign country.”
“Lys河边的一个小镇;我只需要过河,就会到达一个外国国家。”

“Capital! but it is understood you will only cross the river in case of danger.”
“太好了!但是明白:只有在危险情况下你才会过河。”

“That is well understood.”
“这一点我们已经明确了。”

“And in that case, how shall I know where you are?”
“那么在那种情况下,我怎么知道你在哪里?”

“You do not want your lackey?”
“你不希望让你的仆人一起来吗?”

“Is he a sure man?”
“他是一个可靠的人吗?”

“To the proof.”
“拭目以待。”

“Give him to me. Nobody knows him. I will leave him at the place I quit, and he will conduct you to me.”
“把他交给我。没人认识他。我会把他留在我停留的地方,他会带你来找我。”

“And you say you will wait for me at Armentieres?”
“你说你会在阿尔芒蒂尔等我?”

“At Armentieres.”
“在阿尔芒蒂尔。”

“Write that name on a bit of paper, lest I should forget it. —
“把那个名字写在一张纸条上,免得我忘记。” —

There is nothing compromising in the name of a town. Is it not so?”
“一个城镇的名字没有什么牵连性。是吧?”

“Eh, who knows? Never mind,” said Milady, writing the name on half a sheet of paper; —
“谁知道呢?别担心,”米莱迪说着,把名字写在一张纸的一半上; —

“I will compromise myself.”
“我会冒险。”

“Well,” said Rochefort, taking the paper from Milady, folding it, and placing it in the lining of his hat, “you may be easy. —
“好吧,”罗切福特从米莱迪手中接过纸条,折叠起来,放在帽子的内衬里,”你可以放心。 —

I will do as children do, for fear of losing the paper–repeat the name along the route. Now, is that all?”
我会像孩子一样做,生怕丢失那张纸——一路上不断重复那个名字。现在,还有其他事吗?”

“I believe so.”
“我想没有了。”

“Let us see: Buckingham dead or grievously wounded; —
“让我们看看:白金汉死了或者受了重伤; —

your conversation with the cardinal overheard by the four Musketeers; —
你和红衣主教的谈话被四名火枪手听到; —

Lord de Winter warned of your arrival at Portsmouth; D’Artagnan and Athos to the Bastille; —
温特勋爵被警告你到了朴茨茅斯;达达尼昂和阿索斯被送进了巴士底狱;” —

Aramis the lover of Madame de Chevreuse; Porthos an ass; Madame Bonacieux found again; —
阿拉米斯是夫人德·舍夫勒兹的情人; 波尔托斯是头驴; 发现了邦纳西厄斯夫人; —

to send you the chaise as soon as possible; to place my lackey at your disposal; —
要尽快送你那辆四轮马车; 将我的仆人让你随意支配; —

to make you out a victim of the cardinal in order that the abbess may entertain no suspicion; —
说你是红衣主教的牺牲品,这样修女院长就不会起疑心; —

Armentieres, on the banks of the Lys. Is that all, then?”
阿尔芒蒂尔,丽丝河畔。就这些吗?”

“In truth, my dear Chevalier, you are a miracle of memory. A PROPOS, add one thing–”
“事实上,我亲爱的骑士,你的记忆力真是奇迹。对了,补充一件事–”

“What?”
“什么?”

“I saw some very pretty woods which almost touch the convent garden. —
“我见到了一片非常美丽的丛林,几乎与修道院花园相接。 —

Say that I am permitted to walk in those woods. Who knows? —
说我被允许在那些丛林里散步。谁知道呢? —

Perhaps I shall stand in need of a back door for retreat.”
也许我会需要一条后门来撤退。”

“You think of everything.”
“你什么都考虑到了。”

“And you forget one thing.”
“而你忘了一件事。”

“What?”
“什么?”

“To ask me if I want money.”
“问我想要不想要钱。”

“That’s true. How much do you want?”
“没错。你要多少?”

“All you have in gold.”
“你所有的黄金。”

“I have five hundred pistoles, or thereabouts.”
“我有五百枚或者附近的皮斯托勒。”

“I have as much. With a thousand pistoles one may face everything. Empty your pockets.”
“我也有同样多。有一千枚皮斯托勒,什么困难都能应对。把口袋里的钱都拿出来吧。”

“There.”
“在这里。”

“Right. And you go–”
“好。你走–”

“In an hour–time to eat a morsel, during which I shall send for a post horse.”
“一个小时后–吃点东西的时间,期间我会派人去请一匹驿马。”

“Capital! Adieu, Chevalier.”
“太好了!再见,骑士。”

“Adieu, Countess.”
“再见,女伯爵。”

“Commend me to the cardinal.”
“代我问候一下主教。”

“Commend me to Satan.”
“代我问候撒旦。”

Milady and Rochefort exchanged a smile and separated. —
“米莱迪和罗切福特互相微笑着分别了。” —

An hour afterward Rochefort set out at a grand gallop; —
“一个小时后,罗切福特以飞奔的速度出发;” —

five hours after that he passed through Arras.
“五个小时后,他经过阿拉斯。”

Our readers already know how he was recognized by D’Artagnan, and how that recognition by inspiring fear in the four Musketeers had given fresh activity to their journey.
“我们的读者已经知道他是如何被达达尼恩认出的,以及这一认出如何激发了四名火枪手的行动力,加快了他们的旅程。”