LOVER AND HUSBAND
情人和丈夫

“Ah, Madame,” said D’Artagnan, entering by the door which the young woman opened for him, “allow me to tell you that you have a bad sort of a husband.”
“啊,夫人,”达达尼安说,他通过年轻女人为他打开的门进入,“请允许我告诉你,你有一个不怎么样的丈夫。”

“You have, then, overheard our conversation?” —
“你真的听到了我们的谈话吗?”波纳谢夫夫人急切地问道,焦急地看着达达尼安。 —

asked Mme. Bonacieux, eagerly, and looking at D’Artagnan with disquiet.
“全部听到了吗?”

“The whole?”
“但是,我的天哪?”

“But how, my God?”
“通过我自己知道的一种方法,我也听到了和主教的警察之间更加激烈的对话。”

“By a mode of proceeding known to myself, and by which I likewise overheard the more animated conversation which had with the cardinal’s police.”
“但是怎么做到的?”

“And what did you understand by what we said?”
“你听到我们说的话,理解了什么?”

“A thousand things. In the first place, that, unfortunately, your husband is a simpleton and a fool; —
“一千件事。首先,不幸的是,你丈夫是个简单和愚蠢的人; —

in the next place, you are in trouble, of which I am very glad, as it gives me a opportunity of placing myself at your service, and God knows I am ready to throw myself into the fire for you; —
其次,你陷入了麻烦,我为此感到高兴,因为这给了我一个为你效劳的机会,上帝知道我愿意为你赴汤蹈火; —

finally, that the queen wants a brave, intelligent, devoted man to make a journey to London for her. I have at least two of the three qualities you stand in need of, and here I am.
最后,女王需要一个勇敢、聪明、忠诚的人前往伦敦。我至少有三个特质中的两个,而我就在这里。

Mme. Bonacieux made no reply; but her heart beat with joy and secret hope shone in her eyes.
波纳秀夫人没有回答,但她的心跳着喜悦,秘密的希望闪烁在她的眼中。

“And what guarantee will you give me,” asked she, “if I consent to confide this message to you?”
“如果我同意把这个消息托付给你,你能给我什么保证?”她问。

“My love for you. Speak! Command! What is to be done?”
“我的爱。说吧!吩咐!必做!”

“My God, my God!” murmured the young woman, “ought I to confide such a secret to you, monsieur? —
“我的天啊,我的天啊!”年轻女人喃喃道,“我应该把这样的秘密托付给你吗,先生? —

You are almost a boy.”
你还年轻。”

“I see that you require someone to answer for me?”
“我看出你需要有人为我担保?”

“I admit that would reassure me greatly.”
“我承认那会让我感到很安心。”

“Do you know Athos?”
“你认识阿多斯吗?”

“No.”
“不。”

“Porthos?”
“波尔多斯?”

“No.”
“不。”

“Aramis?”
“阿拉米斯?”

“No. Who are these gentleman?”
“不,这些绅士是谁?”

“Three of the king’s Musketeers. Do you know Monsieur de Treville, their captain?”
“是国王的三名火枪手。你认识他们的队长德特雷维尔先生吗?”

“Oh, yes, him! I know him; not personally, but from having heard the queen speak of him more than once as a brave and loyal gentleman.”
“哦,是的,我知道他;虽然不是亲自认识,但听过王后多次提起他,说他是一位勇敢和忠诚的绅士。”

“You do not fear lest he should betray you to the cardinal?”
“你不担心他会向红衣主教泄露你的秘密?”

“Oh, no, certainly not!”
“哦,不,肯定不会!”

“Well, reveal your secret to him, and ask him whether, however important, however valuable, however terrible it may be, you may not confide it to me.”
“好吧,向他透露你的秘密,问问他,无论多么重要、宝贵或可怕,你是否可以告诉我。”

“But this secret is not mine, and I cannot reveal it in this manner.”
“但这个秘密不是我的,我不能以这种方式透露它。”

“You were about to confide it to Monsieur Bonacieux,” said D’Artagnan, with chagrin.
“你本来要把它告诉博纳谢先生的,”达达尼安失望地说。

“As one confides a letter to the hollow of a tree, to the wing of a pigeon, to the collar of a dog.”
“就像把信托放在树洞里,鸽子的翅膀上,狗的颈圈里一样。”

“And yet, me–you see plainly that I love you.”
“而我,你明明看得出来我爱你。”

“You say so.”
“你这么说。”

“I am an honorable man.”
“我是个光荣的人。”

“You say so.”
“你这么说。”

“I am a gallant fellow.”
“我是个英勇的小伙子。”

“I believe it.”
“我相信这一点。”

“I am brave.”
“我很勇敢。”

“Oh, I am sure of that!”
“哦,我确信如此!”

“Then, put me to the proof.”
“那么,让我来证明它。”

Mme. Bonacieux looked at the young man, restrained for a minute by a last hesitation; —
波纳西厄斯夫人看着这个年轻人,被最后的犹豫所抑制了一分钟; —

but there was such an ardor in his eyes, such persuasion in his voice, that she felt herself constrained to confide in him. —
但是他的眼中充满了热情,他的声音充满了说服力,她感觉自己被迫向他吐露。 —

Besides, she found herself in circumstances where everything must be risked for the sake of everything. —
此外,她发现自己处于一切都必须为了一切而冒险的境地。 —

The queen might be as much injured by too much reticence as by too much confidence; —
女王可能会因为保持得太过谨慎而受损,就像因为太过信任而受损一样; —

and–let us admit it–the involuntary sentiment which she felt for her young protector decided her to speak.
并且–让我们承认–她对她年轻保护者产生的那种非自愿的情感,决定了她要说出真相。

“Listen,” said she; “I yield to your protestations, I yield to your assurances. —
“听着,”她说;”我屈从于你的抗议,我屈从于你的保证。 —

But I swear to you, before God who hears us, that if you betray me, and my enemies pardon me, I will kill myself, while accusing you of my death.”
但是我在上帝听着我们的时候发誓,如果你背叛我,而我的敌人原谅我,我会自杀,同时指责你导致了我的死亡。”

“And I–I swear to you before God, madame,” said D’Artagnan. —
“而我–我在上帝面前向你发誓,夫人,”达达尼安说。 —

“that if I am taken while accomplishing the orders you give me, I will die sooner than do anything that may compromise anyone.”
“如果在执行你给我的命令时我被抓住,我宁愿死也不做任何可能危及任何人的事情。”

Then the young woman confided in him the terrible secret of which chance had already communicated to him a part in front of the Samaritaine. —
然后这位年轻女子向他吐露了机缘巧合已经传达给他一部分的可怕秘密,在萨马萊纳店前。 —

This was their mutual declaration of love.
这就是他们彼此之间的爱的宣告。

D’Artagnan was radiant with joy and pride. —
达达尼昂充满了喜悦和自豪。 —

This secret which he possessed, this woman whom he loved! —
他掌握着的秘密,他所爱的女人! —

Confidence and love mad him a giant.
自信和爱使他变得像个巨人。

“I go,” said he; “I go at once.”
“我走了,” 他说;”我马上就走。”

“How, you will go!” said Mme. Bonacieux; “and your regiment, your captain?”
“怎么,你会走!” 波纳谢太太说;”你的团,你的上尉呢?”

“By my soul, you had made me forget all that, dear Constance! —
“天哪,亲爱的康斯坦斯,你让我都忘了那一切!” —

Yes, you are right; a furlough is needful.”
是的,你说得对;休假是必需的。

“Still another obstacle,” murmured Mme. Bonacieux, sorrowfully.
波纳谢太太悲伤地喃喃道:”还有另一个障碍。”

“As to that,” cried D’Artagnan, after a moment of reflection, “I shall surmount it, be assured.”
“至于那一点,” 达达尼昂结束性思考后大声说道,“我会克服它,你放心。”

“How so?”
“怎么做?”

“I will go this very evening to Treville, whom I will request to ask this favor for me of his brother-in-law, Monsieur Dessessart.”
“我将今晚立即去找特雷维勒,我会请求他向他的连襟德塞萨尔先生为我寻求这个恩惠。”

“But another thing.”
“但还有另一件事。”

“What?” asked D’Artagnan, seeing that Mme. Bonacieux hesitated to continue.
“什么?”达达尼昂问,看到波纳谢太太犹豫不决。

“You have, perhaps, no money?”
“也许你没有钱?”

“PERHAPS is too much,” said D’Artagnan, smiling.
“也许的太多了,”达达尼昂笑着说。

“Then,” replied Mme. Bonacieux, opening a cupboard and taking from it the very bag which a half hour before her husband had caressed so affectionately, “take this bag.”
“那么,”波纳斯淑夫人回答道,打开橱柜,从中拿出了丈夫前半小时前曾如此深情地爱抚过的那个袋子,“拿走这个袋子。”

“The cardinal’s?” cried D’Artagnan, breaking into a loud laugh, he having heard, as may be remembered, thanks to the broken boards, every syllable of the conversation between the mercer and his wife.
“红衣主教的?”达达尼昂喊道,大声笑了起来,他早就听到了,也许你还记得,借助破损的木板,他听到了麦尔斯和妻子之间谈话的每个音节。

“The cardinal’s,” replied Mme. Bonacieux. “You see it makes a very respectable appearance.”
“红衣主教的,”波纳斯夫人回答道,“你看,外表很体面。”

“PARDIEU,” cried D’Artagnan, “it will be a double amusing affair to save the queen with the cardinal’s money!”
“天哪,”达达尼昂喊道,“用红衣主教的钱来救皇后,这将是一场双重有趣的事情!”

“You are an amiable and charming young man,” said Mme. Bonacieux. —
“你是一个和蔼可亲的年轻人,”波纳斯夫人说道。 —

“Be assured you will not find her Majesty ungrateful.”
“请放心,陛下不会忘记你的恩惠。”

“Oh, I am already grandly recompensed!” cried D’Artagnan. “I love you; —
“哦,我已经得到了很大的回报!”达达尼昂喊道,“我爱你; —

you permit me to tell you that I do–that is already more happiness than I dared to hope.”
你允许我告诉你我爱你–这已经比我敢希望的还要幸福。”

“Silence!” said Mme. Bonacieux, starting.
“安静!”波纳斯夫人惊呼道。

“What!”
“什么!”

“Someone is talking in the street.”
“外面有人在说话。”

“It is the voice of–”
“那是–”

“Of my husband! Yes, I recognize it!”
“我的丈夫的声音!是的,我认出来了!”

D’Artagnan ran to the door and pushed the bolt.
达达尼昂跑到门边,推上门闩。

“He shall not come in before I am gone,” said he; “and when I am gone, you can open to him.”
“在我走之前,他不能进来,”他说,“等我走了,你可以给他开门。”

“But I ought to be gone, too. And the disappearance of his money; —
“但我也应该离开。他的钱的消失;” —

how am I to justify it if I am here?”
“如果我留在这里,我该怎样辩解呢?”

“You are right; we must go out.”
“你说得对;我们必须出去。”

“Go out? How? He will see us if we go out.”
“出去?怎么出去呢?如果我们出去,他会看到我们的。”

“Then you must come up into my room.”
“那么你必须上我的房间来。”

“Ah,” said Mme. Bonacieux, “you speak that in a tone that frightens me!”
“啊,”波纳谢夫夫人说,“你说话的语气吓倒了我!”

Mme. Bonacieux pronounced these words with tears in her eyes. —
波纳谢夫夫人说这些话时眼泪汪汪。 —

D’Artagnan saw those tears, and much disturbed, softened, he threw himself at her feet.
达达尼昂看见了这些眼泪,心情十分不安,感到内疚,他跪在她脚下。

“With me you will be as safe as in a temple; I give you my word of a gentleman.”
“你和我在一起就像在寺庙里一样安全;我以绅士的信誉保证。”

“Let us go,” said she, “I place full confidence in you, my friend!”
“让我们走吧,”她说,“我对你完全信任,我的朋友!”

D’Artagnan drew back the bolt with precaution, and both, light as shadows, glided through the interior door into the passage, ascended the stairs as quietly as possible, and entered D’Artagnan’s chambers.
达达尼昂小心翼翼地拉开了门闩,两人像影子一样悄悄穿过内门,进入达达尼昂的房间。

Once there, for greater security, the young man barricaded the door. —
一旦进入,为了更安全起见,年轻人用东西堵住了门。 —

They both approached the window, and through a slit in the shutter they saw Bonacieux talking with a man in a cloak.
他们俩走近窗户,透过百叶窗的缝隙,看到波纳谢夫正和一个披风男子交谈。

At sight of this man, D’Artagnan started, and half drawing his sword, sprang toward the door.
看到这个男子,达达尼昂吃了一惊,半拔出剑,朝门口冲去。

It was the man of Meung.
那是蒙城的人。

“What are you going to do?” cried Mme. Bonacieux; “you will ruin us all!”
“你打算做什么?”波纳谢夫夫人喊道;“你会毁了我们大家!”

“But I have sworn to kill that man!” said D’Artagnan.
“但我发誓要杀死那个人!”达’阿尔唐尼昂说。

“Your life is devoted from this moment, and does not belong to you. —
“你的生命从这一刻起就已奉献出去了,不再属于你。 —

In the name of the queen I forbid you to throw yourself into any peril which is foreign o that of your journey.”
以皇后的名义,我禁止你陷入任何不属于你旅途之外的危险。”

“And do you command nothing in your own name?”
“那么你自己就没有任何命令吗?”

“In my name,” said Mme. Bonacieux, with great emotion, “in my name I beg you! —
“以我的名义,”波纳谢夫夫人激动地说,“以我的名义,我请求你! —

But listen; they appear to be speaking of me.”
不过听着;他们好像在谈论我。”

D’Artagnan drew near the window, and lent his ear.
达’阿尔唐尼走近窗户,倾听着。

M. Bonacieux had opened his door, and seeing the apartment, had returned to the man in the cloak, whom he had left alone for an instant.
波纳谢夫先生打开了他的门,看了看房间,又回到了刚才离开一会儿的披风男士身边。

“She is gone,” said he; “she must have returned to the Louvre.”
“她走了,”他说;“她一定是回卢浮宫去了。”

“You are sure,” replied the stranger, “that she did not suspect the intentions with which you went out?”
“你确定,”陌生人回答说,“她没有怀疑你出门的意图吗?”

“No,” replied Bonacieux, with a self-sufficient air, “she is too superficial a woman.”
“没有,”波纳谢夫自负地回答说,“她是太肤浅的一个女人。”

“Is the young Guardsman at home?”
“年轻的近卫军士在家吗?”

“I do not think he is; as you see, his shutter is closed, and you can see no light shine through the chinks of the shutters.”
“我不认为他在;你看,他的百叶窗是关闭的,你看不到百叶窗缝隙里透光。”

“All the same, it is well to be certain.”
“但还是最好确认一下。”

“How so?”
“怎么样?”

“By knocking at his door. Go.”
“通过敲门。去。”

“I will ask his servant.”
“我会问他的仆人。”

Bonacieux re-entered the house, passed through the same door that had afforded a passage for the two fugitives, went up to D’Artagnan’s door, and knocked.
邦纳谢重新进入房子,穿过为两名逃犯提供通道的同一扇门,走到达达尼昂的门前,敲了敲门。

No one answered. Porthos, in order to make a greater display, had that evening borrowed Planchet. As to D’Artagnan, he took care not to give the least sign of existence.
没有人回答。波托斯为了更加炫耀,那天晚上借用了普朗谢。至于达达尼昂,他小心翼翼地没有表现出任何存在的迹象。

The moment the hand of Bonacieux sounded on the door, the two young people felt their hearts bound within them.
当邦纳谢的手声响在门上时,两个年轻人感到心跳加快。

“There is nobody within,” said Bonacieux.
“里面没有人,”邦纳谢说。

“Never mind. Let us return to your apartment. We shall be safer there than in the doorway.”
“别在意。让我们回到你的公寓。在那里比在门口更安全。”

“Ah, my God!” whispered Mme. Bonacieux, “we shall hear no more.”
“啊,我的上帝!”玛德琳小声说,“我们将再也听不到了。”

“On the contrary,” said D’Artagnan, “we shall hear better.”
“相反,”达达尼昂说,“我们将听得更清楚。”

D’Artagnan raised the three or four boards which made his chamber another ear of Dionysius, spread a carpet on the floor, went upon his knees, and made a sign to Mme. Bonacieux to stoop as he did toward the opening.
达达尼昂提起了几块板,使他的房间又变成了迪奥尼修斯的耳朵,将地毯铺在地板上,跪了下来,示意邦纳谢也像他一样朝着开口弯腰。

“You are sure there is nobody there?” said the stranger.
“你肯定那里没有人吗?”陌生人说。

“I will answer for it,” said Bonacieux.
“我可以担保,”邦纳谢说。

“And you think that your wife–”
“你觉得你的妻子–”

“Has returned to the Louvre.”
“已经回到卢浮宫。”

“Without speaking to anyone but yourself?”
“不和任何人说话,只和自己说话?”

“I am sure of it.”
“我很确定。”

“That is an important point, do you understand?”
“这是一个重要的观点,你明白吗?”

“Then the news I brought you is of value?”
“那么我带给你的消息很有价值?”

“The greatest, my dear Bonacieux; I don’t conceal this from you.”
“亲爱的波纳西厄斯,是最了不起的;我不会对你隐瞒这一点。”

“Then the cardinal will be pleased with me?”
“那么,主教会对我满意吧?”

“I have no doubt of it.”
“我毫不怀疑。”

“The great cardinal!”
“伟大的主教!”

“Are you sure, in her conversation with you, that your wife mentioned no names?”
“在和你的妻子谈话时,确定她没有提到任何名字吗?”

“I think not.”
“我想没有。”

“She did not name Madame de Chevreuse, the Duke of Buckingham, or Madame de Vernet?”
“她没有提到什么夏尔瓦鲁斯夫人、白金汉公爵,或者维尔奈夫人吗?”

“No; she only told me she wished to send me to London to serve the interests of an illustrious personage.”
“没有;她只告诉我她想派我去伦敦为一个显赫人物服务。”

“The traitor!” murmured Mme. Bonacieux.
“叛徒!”波纳西厄斯夫人低声说。

“Silence!” said D’Artagnan, taking her hand, which, without thinking of it, she abandoned to him.
“安静!”达尔他尼安说,握住了她毫无意识地交出的手。

“Never mind,” continued the man in the cloak; —
“不要紧,”披风男继续说;” —

“you were a fool not to have pretended to accept the mission. —
你真是个傻瓜,竟然不装作接受这个任务。 —

You would then be in present possession of the letter. —
那样你现在就会拥有这封信了。 —

The state, which is now threatened, would be safe, and you–”
现在受到威胁的国家会安全无虞,而你——

“And I?”
“那我呢?”

“Well you–the cardinal would have given you letters of nobility.”
“那么你——红衣主教本来会赐给你爵位。”

“Did he tell you so?”
“他跟你说了吗?”

“Yes, I know that he meant to afford you that agreeable surprise.”
“是的,我知道他准备给你这个惊喜。”

“Be satisfied,” replied Bonacieux; “my wife adores me, and there is yet time.”
“放心吧,”邦纳谢回答道,“我妻子崇拜着我,还有时间。”

“The ninny!” murmured Mme. Bonacieux.
“蠢货!”邦纳谢夫人小声嘀咕。

“Silence!” said D’Artagnan, pressing her hand more closely.
“安静!”达达尼昂紧握住她的手说。

“How is there still time?” asked the man in the cloak.
“怎么还有时间?”披风男子问道。

“I go to the Louvre; I ask for Mme. Bonacieux; I say that I have reflected; —
“我去卢浮宫,找邦纳谢夫人;我说我已经考虑过了; —

I renew the affair; I obtain the letter, and I run directly to the cardinal.”
我重新处理这件事;我拿到信,直接跑去找红衣主教。”

“Well, go quickly! I will return soon to learn the result of your trip.”
“好吧,快去吧!我很快会回来,了解你这次旅行的结果。”

The stranger went out.
陌生人走了出去。

“Infamous!” said Mme. Bonacieux, addressing this epithet to her husband.
“臭名远扬!”波纳谢夫人对她的丈夫说道。

“Silence!” said D’Artagnan, pressing her hand still more warmly.
“安静!”达达尼昂说着,更热情地握住她的手。

A terrible howling interrupted these reflections of D’Artagnan and Mme. Bonacieux. —
一阵可怕的嚎叫打断了达达尼昂和波纳谢夫人的思考。 —

It was her husband, who had discovered the disappearance of the moneybag, and was crying “Thieves!”
原来是她丈夫发现了钱袋的失踪,大声喊着“有贼!”

“Oh, my God!” cried Mme. Bonacieux, “he will rouse the whole quarter.”
“天啊!”波纳谢夫人大叫,“他会惊动整个街区的。”

Bonacieux called a long time; but as such cries, on account of their frequency, brought nobody in the Rue des Fossoyeurs, and as lately the mercer’s house had a bad name, finding that nobody came, he went out continuing to call, his voice being heard fainter and fainter as he went in the direction of the Rue du Bac.
波纳谢放声喊了好一阵,但由于这种呼声频繁,没有人在墓守街上应答,而且最近这家布商的房子声名狼藉,他看到没人来,付诸上街大声呼喊,随着他走向鲍克街,他的声音渐渐地远去了。

“Now he is gone, it is your turn to get out,” said Mme. Bonacieux. —
“现在他走了,轮到你出去了,”波纳谢夫人说道。 —

“Courage, my friend, but above all, prudence, and think what you owe to the queen.”
“勇气,我的朋友,但最重要的是谨慎,想一想你对王后的责任。”

“To her and to you!” cried D’Artagnan. “Be satisfied, beautiful Constance. —
“对她和对你!”达达尼昂喊道,“放心吧,美丽的康斯坦斯。 —

I shall become worthy of her gratitude; but shall I likewise return worthy of your love?”
我会配得上她的感激;但我也会配得上你的爱吗?”

The young woman only replied by the beautiful glow which mounted to her cheeks. —
年轻女子只是脸上泛起美丽的红晕作为回答。 —

A few seconds afterward D’Artagnan also went out enveloped in a large cloak, which ill-concealed the sheath of a long sword.
几秒钟后,达达尼昂也包裹在一件大斗篷中走出门,套着一把长剑的剑鞘。

Mme. Bonacieux followed him with her eyes, with that long, fond look with which he had turned the angle of the street, she fell on her knees, and clasping her hands, “Oh, my God,” cried she, “protect the queen, protect me!”
波纳谢夫人用眼睛追随着他,直到他转过街角,然后她跪下来,双手合十,“哦,我的上帝,”她叫道,“保佑女王,保佑我!”