SOUBRETTE AND MISTRESS
贴身女仆和女主人

Meantime, as we have said, despite the cries of his conscience and the wise counsels of Athos, D’Artagnan became hourly more in love with Milady. —
与此同时,尽管艾索斯的良心在呼唤,他的智慧劝告一再提醒,达达尼安却日趋深陷对米莱迪的爱恋之中。 —

Thus he never failed to pay his diurnal court to her; —
因此,他每天都会前去拜访她; —

and the self-satisfied Gascon was convinced that sooner or later she could not fail to respond.
这个自以为是的加斯科尼深信,迟早她会回应他的感情。

One day, when he arrived with his head in the air, and as light at heart as a man who awaits a shower of gold, he found the SOUBRETTE under the gateway of the hotel; —
有一天,他抬着头兴高采烈地来到酒店大门外,仿佛在等待一场黄金大雨,却遇见了女仆。 —

but this time the pretty Kitty was not contented with touching him as he passed, she took him gently by the hand.
但这一次,漂亮的基蒂不再仅仅在路过时触碰他,而是轻轻拉住了他的手。

“Good!” thought D’Artagnan, “She is charged with some message for me from her mistress; —
达达尼安心想:“好!她一定是受了她女主人的指使,有些事情要转告给我; —

she is about to appoint some rendezvous of which she had not courage to speak.” —
她可能要和我约会,却不敢当面提起。” —

And he looked down at the pretty girl with the most triumphant air imaginable.
他以最得意的神情俯视着这位漂亮女孩。

“I wish to say three words to you, Monsieur Chevalier,” stammered the SOUBRETTE.
“我想对您说三个字,骑士先生,”女仆结结巴巴地说道。

“Speak, my child, speak,” said D’Artagnan; “I listen.”
“说吧,我的孩子,说吧,”达达尼安说,“我在听。”

“Here? Impossible! That which I have to say is too long, and above all, too secret.”
“这里?不可能!我要说的事情太长,而且最重要的是太秘密了。”

“Well, what is to be done?”
“那么,怎么办呢?”

“If Monsieur Chevalier would follow me?” said Kitty, timidly.
“如果骑士先生能跟着我走?”基蒂羞怯地说。

“Where you please, my dear child.”
“到哪里都行,我亲爱的孩子。”

“Come, then.”
“来吧。”

And Kitty, who had not let go the hand of D’Artagnan, led him up a little dark, winding staircase, and after ascending about fifteen steps, opened a door.
凯蒂一直握着达达尼昂的手,领着他走上一条黑暗、蜿蜒的小楼梯,大约上了十五个台阶后,打开了一扇门。

“Come in here, Monsieur Chevalier,” said she; “here we shall be alone, and can talk.”
“进来吧,骑士先生,”她说,“在这里我们可以单独谈话。”

“And whose room is this, my dear child?”
“这是谁的房间,我亲爱的孩子?”

“It is mine, Monsieur Chevalier; it communicates with my mistress’s by that door. —
“这是我的,骑士先生;通过那扇门可以通到我的主人的房间。 —

But you need not fear. She will not hear what we say; —
但你不必担心。她不会听到我们说的话; —

she never goes to bed before midnight,”
她绝不会在午夜前上床。”

D’Artagnan cast a glance around him. The little apartment was charming for its taste and neatness; —
达达尼昂环顾四周。这个小公寓非常迷人,充满了品味和整洁; —

but in spite of himself, his eyes were directed to that door which Kitty said led to Milady’s chamber.
但他的眼睛不由自主地被凯蒂说通往米莱迪的房间的那扇门吸引。

Kitty guessed what was passing in the mind of the young man, and heaved a deep sigh.
凯蒂猜到了年轻人心中所想,叹了口气。

“You love my mistress, then, very dearly, Monsieur Chevalier?” said she.
“那么,你非常爱我主人,骑士先生?”她说。

“Oh, more than I can say, Kitty! I am mad for her!”
“哦,凯蒂,我为她疯狂!”

Kitty breathed a second sigh.
凯蒂又叹了口气。

“Alas, monsieur,” said she, “that is too bad.”
“唉,先生,”她说,“这太糟糕了。”

“What the devil do you see so bad in it?” said D’Artagnan.
“你到底觉得这有什么不好?”达达尼昂说。

“Because, monsieur,” replied Kitty, “my mistress loves you not at all.”
“因为,先生,”凯蒂回答道,“我的主人根本不爱你。”

“HEIN!” said D’Artagnan, “can she have charged you to tell me so?”
“喂!”达达尼安说,“她会让你告诉我这样吗?”

“Oh, no, monsieur; but out of the regard I have for you, I have taken the resolution to tell you so.”
“哦,不,先生;而是出于我对你的关心,我决定告诉你这个。”

“Much obliged, my dear Kitty; but for the intention only–for the information, you must agree, is not likely to be at all agreeable.”
“非常感谢,我亲爱的凯蒂;但仅仅是出于意图——因为信息,你必须承认,可能一点也不令人愉快。”

“That is to say, you don’t believe what I have told you; is it not so?”
“也就是说,你不相信我告诉你的事情;是不是?”

“We have always some difficulty in believing such things, my pretty dear, were it only from self-love.”
“我们总是有点难以相信这样的事情,我亚美丽的亲爱的,充其量只是出于自尊心。”

“Then you don’t believe me?”
“那么你不相信我?”

“I confess that unless you deign to give me some proof of what you advance–”
“我承认,除非你愿意给我一些证据来证实你的说法——”

“What do you think of this?”
“你觉得这个怎么样?”

Kitty drew a little note from her bosom.
凯蒂从胸口掏出一张小便条。

“For me?” said Derogation, seizing the letter.
“给我的?”德达尼安抓住了这封信。

“No; for another.”
“不是给我的,而是给别人的。”

“For another?”
“给别人的?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“His name; his name!” cried D’Artagnan.
“他的名字;他的名字!”达达尼安喊道。

“Read the address.”
“读这个地址。”

“Monsieur El Comte de Wardes.”
“瓦尔德伯爵先生。”

The remembrance of the scene at St. Germain presented itself to the mind of the presumptuous Gascon. —
自以为是的加斯康昂回想起圣日耳曼场景。 —

As quick as thought, he tore open the letter, in spite of the cry which Kitty uttered on seeing what he was going to do, or rather, what he was doing.
他迅速地撕开了信封,尽管基蒂看到他要做的事情(或者说他正在做的事情)而尖叫。

“Oh, good Lord, Monsieur Chevalier,” said she, “what are you doing?”
“哦,天啊,翁斯骑士先生,”她说,“你在干什么?”

“I?” said D’Artagnan; “nothing,” and he read,
“我?”达达尼昂说,“没什么。”然后他读到,

“You have not answered my first note. Are you indisposed, or have you forgotten the glances you favored me with at the ball of Mme. de Guise? —
“你还没有回复我的第一封信。你病了,还是忘记了在吉斯夫人舞会上对我投来的眼神? —

You have an opportunity now, Count; do not allow it to escape.”
现在你有机会,伯爵;不要让它溜走。”

D’Artagnan became very pale; he was wounded in his SELF- love: he thought that it was in his LOVE.
达达尼昂变得非常苍白;他的自尊心受到侵犯:他以为是他的爱情受到了侵犯。

“Poor dear Monsieur D’Artagnan,” said Kitty, in a voice full of compassion, and pressing anew the young man’s hand.
“可怜的达达尼昂先生,”基蒂充满怜悯地说着,并再次紧握住年轻人的手。

“You pity me, little one?” said D’Artagnan.
“你可怜我,小家伙?”达达尼昂说。

“Oh, yes, and with all my heart; for I know what it is to be in love.”
“哦,是的,我全心全意地可怜你;因为我知道爱是什么滋味。”

“You know what it is to be in love?” said D’Artagnan, looking at her for the first time with much attention.
“你知道爱是什么滋味?”达达尼昂第一次认真地看着她说。

“Alas, yes.”
“哎,是的。”

“Well, then, instead of pitying me, you would do much better to assist me in avenging myself on your mistress.”
“那好,与其可怜我,你还是帮我报复你的主母会更好。”

“And what sort of revenge would you take?”
“你将采取何种报复呢?”

“I would triumph over her, and supplant my rival.”
“我会战胜她,取代我的对手。”

“I will never help you in that, Monsieur Chevalier,” said Kitty, warmly.
“我永远不会帮助你这样做,骑士先生,”基蒂热情地说。

“And why not?” demanded D’Artagnan.
“为什么不呢?”达达尼安要求。

“For two reasons.”
“有两个原因。”

“What ones?”
“是哪两个原因?”

“The first is that my mistress will never love you.”
“第一个是我的女主人永远不会爱上你。”

“How do you know that?”
“你怎么知道?”

“You have cut her to the heart.”
“你伤害了她的心。”

“I? In what can I have offended her–I who ever since I have known her have lived at her feet like a slave? Speak, I beg you!”
“我?我怎么会得罪她呢-我自从认识她以来,一直像奴隶一样侍奉她?说吧,我求你!”

“I will never confess that but to the man–who should read to the bottom of my soul!”
“只有那个能深入读懂我的灵魂的人,我才会坦白!”

D’Artagnan looked at Kitty for the second time. —
达达尼安第二次看着基蒂。 —

The young girl had freshness and beauty which many duchesses would have purchased with their coronets.
这位年轻女孩拥有着许多公爵夫人愿用其冠冕换取的新鲜与美丽。

“Kitty,” said he, “I will read to the bottom of your soul when-ever you like; —
“基蒂,”他说,“我随时都会读懂你的灵魂; —

don’t let that disturb you.” And he gave her a kiss at which the poor girl became as red as a cherry.
不要为此感到不安。”他给了她一个吻,让这个可怜的女孩变得像樱桃一样红扑扑的。

“Oh, no,” said Kitty, “it is not me you love! It is my mistress you love; you told me so just now.”
“哦,不是的,”凯蒂说,“你爱的不是我!是我主人你爱;你刚才告诉我了。”

“And does that hinder you from letting me know the second reason?”
“那难道会阻止你告诉我第二个原因吗?”

“The second reason, Monsieur the Chevalier,” replied Kitty, emboldened by the kiss in the first place, and still further by the expression of the eyes of the young man, “is that in love, everyone for herself!”
“第二个原因,骑士先生,”凯蒂回答道,因为刚才那个吻的勇气,再加上年轻人眼神的表情让她更加勇敢,“是因为在爱情中,每个人都要为自己着想!”

Then only D’Artagnan remembered the languishing glances of Kitty, her constantly meeting him in the antechamber, the corridor, or on the stairs, those touches of the hand every time she met him, and her deep sighs; —
只有达达尼安此时才记起凯蒂的怦然心动的凝视,她不停地在门厅、走廊或楼梯上与他相遇时,每次遇见他都碰触他的手,并发出深深的叹息; —

but absorbed by his desire to please the great lady, he had disdained the soubrette. —
但他因着渴望讨好那位贵妇人而忽视了女仆。 —

He whose game is the eagle takes no heed of the sparrow.
“拿着老鹰的人不理会小麻雀。”

But this time our Gascon saw at a glance all the advantage to be derived from the love which Kitty had just confessed so innocently, or so boldly: —
但这一次,我们的加斯康一眼就看出了凯蒂刚才那么天真或那么大胆地坦白的爱所带来的好处: —

the interception of letters addressed to the Comte de Wardes, news on the spot, entrance at all hours into Kitty’s chamber, which was contiguous to her mistress’s. —
拦截寄给沃德斯伯爵的信件,及时获悉消息,随时进入与主人相邻的凯蒂的卧室。 —

The perfidious deceiver was, as may plainly be perceived, already sacrificing, in intention, the poor girl in order to obtain Milady, willy-nilly.
这个欺诈者显然已经计划好要牺牲这个可怜的女孩,无论如何也要得到米莱迪。

“Well,” said he to the young girl, “are you willing, my dear Kitty, that I should give you a proof of that love which you doubt?”
“好吧,”他对年轻女孩说,“亲爱的凯蒂,你愿意我给你证明我准备对你怀有的那种爱吗?”

“What love?” asked the young girl.
“什么爱?”年轻女孩问道。

“Of that which I am ready to feel toward you.”
“我愿意向你表达的那种。”

“And what is that proof?”
“那个证据是什么?”

“Are you willing that I should this evening pass with you the time I generally spend with your mistress?”
“你愿意我今晚跟你共度我通常与你主人度过的时间吗?”

“Oh, yes,” said Kitty, clapping her hands, “very willing.”
“哦,愿意,”凯蒂拍着手说,“非常愿意。”

“Well, then, come here, my dear,” said D’Artagnan, establishing himself in an easy chair; —
“那么,来吧,亲爱的,”达达尼安说着,舒舒服服地坐在一把椅子上; —

“come, and let me tell you that you are the prettiest SOUBRETTE I ever saw!”
“来吧,让我告诉你,你是我见过最漂亮的SOUBRETTE!”

And he did tell her so much, and so well, that the poor girl, who asked nothing better than to believe him, did believe him. —
他说了很多话,说得很好,可怜的姑娘,她最想听到的就是这些话,于是她真的相信了。 —

Nevertheless, to D’Artagnan’s great astonishment, the pretty Kitty defended herself resolutely.
然而,令达达尼安大感惊讶的是,漂亮的基蒂坚决地为自己辩护。

Time passes quickly when it is passed in attacks and defenses. —
时间在攻守之间飞逝。 —

Midnight sounded, and almost at the same time the bell was rung in Milady’s chamber.
午夜敲响,几乎同时,米莱迪的卧室里响起了铃声。

“Good God,” cried Kitty, “there is my mistress calling me! Go; go directly!”
“天啊,”基蒂喊道,”主母在叫我!走,走!”

D’Artagnan rose, took his hat, as if it had been his intention to obey, then, opening quickly the door of a large closet instead of that leading to the staircase, he buried himself amid the robes and dressing gowns of Milady.
达达尼安站起来,拿起帽子,仿佛打算听从,然后,他迅速打开了一扇大衣柜的门,而不是通往楼梯的门,他把自己埋身在米莱迪的长袍和睡袍中。

“What are you doing?” cried Kitty.
“你在干什么?”基蒂喊道。

D’Artagnan, who had secured the key, shut himself up in the closet without reply.
达达尼安拿到了钥匙,没有回答,关上衣橱的门。

“Well,” cried Milady, in a sharp voice. “Are you asleep, that you don’t answer when I ring?”
“喂,”米莱迪尖声说道,”你睡着了吗,不听到我按铃吗?”

And D’Artagnan heard the door of communication opened violently.
达达尼安听到通往米莱迪房间的门被猛力打开。

“Here am I, Milady, here am I!” cried Kitty, springing forward to meet her mistress.
“我在这里,米莱迪,我在这里!”基蒂跳起来迎接她的主人。

Both went into the bedroom, and as the door of communication remained open, D’Artagnan could hear Milady for some time scolding her maid. —
两人走进卧室,通往卧室的门没有关上,达达尼安能听到米莱迪一直在责备她的女仆。 —

She was at length appeased, and the conversation turned upon him while Kitty was assisting her mistress.
最终她被安抚下来,谈话转向了他,而基蒂则在帮忙主人时。

“Well,” said Milady, “I have not seen our Gascon this evening.”
“噢,不;他一定被德·特雷维尔先生或德塞萨尔先生阻止了。”

“What, Milady! has he not come?” said Kitty. “Can he be inconstant before being happy?”
“我明白我的计划,基蒂;我已经控制住了他。”

“Oh, no; he must have been prevented by Monsieur de Treville or Monsieur Dessessart. —
“你打算怎么对付他,夫人?” —

I understand my game, Kitty; I have this one safe.”
“他几乎让我失去了与枢机主教的信任,我会报仇的。”

“What will you do with him, madame?”
“我以为夫人爱他。”

“What will I do with him? Be easy, Kitty, there is something between that man and me that he is quite ignorant of: —
“爱他?我痛恨他!一个白痴,他掌握着德·温特勋爵的性命,却没有杀死他,因此我失去了30万里弗的收入。” —

he nearly made me lose my credit with his Eminence. —
“是的,但夫人没有让他喜欢的那个小女人得到和解。” —

Oh, I will be revenged!”
“什么,在坟墓街的袍子店主妇?

“I believed that Madame loved him.”
“D’Artagnan听到这个温柔的生物责备他时,从骨子里发抖,这个温柔的生物当着他的面对他说出了那尖刻的声音,而她平时都在谈话中努力掩饰这一点。

“I love him? I detest him! An idiot, who held the life of Lord de Winter in his bands and did not kill him, by which I missed three hundred thousand livres’ income.”
“所有这些,”米蓉继续说,“我早就该报复他了,如果不知道为什么枢机主教没有要求我去讨好他。”

“That’s true,” said Kitty; “your son was the only heir of his uncle, and until his majority you would have had the enjoyment of his fortune.”
“那是真的,”基蒂说,“您的儿子是他叔叔的唯一继承人,在他成年之前,您本来可以享受他的财产。”

D’Artagnan shuddered to the marrow at hearing this suave creature reproach him, with that sharp voice which she took such pains to conceal in conversation, for not having killed a man whom he had seen load her with kindnesses.
“我爱他吗?我痛恨他!一个白痴,他掌握着德·温特勋爵的性命,但并未杀死他,因此我失去了三十万里弗的收入。”

“For all this,” continued Milady, “I should long ago have revenged myself on him if, and I don’t know why, the cardinal had not requested me to conciliate him.”
“哦,是的; 但夫人没有讨好他那个他如此喜欢的小女人。”

“Oh, yes; but Madame has not conciliated that little woman he was so fond of.”
达达尼显然感觉骨子里发抖,因为他听到这个温柔的生物责备他,这个温柔的生物在谈话中努力掩饰着这种尖刻的声音,他竟然没有杀死一个曾经对他充满恩情的人。

“What, the mercer’s wife of the Rue des Fossoyeurs? —
“是的,夫人没有讨好在坟墓街的袍子店主妇。” —

Has he not already forgotten she ever existed? —
他难道不已经忘记她曾经存在过吗? —

Fine vengeance that, on my faith!”
真是个美妙的报复,我发誓!

A cold sweat broke from D’Artagnan’s brow. Why, this woman was a monster! —
达达尼安额头上冒出了冷汗。这个女人,简直就是个怪物! —

He resumed his listening, but unfortunately the toilet was finished.
他重新开始倾听,但不幸的是,厕所已经结束了。

“That will do,” said Milady; “go into your own room, and tomorrow endeavor again to get me an answer to the letter I gave you.”
“就这样吧,”米莱迪说,“回到你的房间,明天再努力给我回复我给你的信。”

“For Monsieur de Wardes?” said Kitty.
“给瓦德尔先生?”基蒂问道。

“To be sure; for Monsieur de Wardes.”
“当然,给瓦德尔先生。”

“Now, there is one,” said Kitty, “who appears to me quite a different sort of a man from that poor Monsieur D’Artagnan.”
“现在,有一个人,”基蒂说,“对我来说和那个可怜的达达尼安先生完全是两种不同的男人。”

“Go to bed, mademoiselle,” said Milady; “I don’t like comments.”
“去睡觉吧,小姐,”米莱迪说,“我不喜欢别人评头论足。”

D’Artagnan heard the door close; then the noise of two bolts by which Milady fastened herself in. —
达达尼安听到门关上了;然后是米莱迪用两个门栓将自己锁了起来的声音。 —

On her side, but as softly as possible, Kitty turned the key of the lock, and then D’Artagnan opened the closet door.
而在另一边,基蒂尽量轻声地转动了锁的钥匙,然后达达尼安打开了壁橱门。

“Oh, good Lord!” said Kitty, in a low voice, “what is the matter with you? How pale you are!”
“哦,天啊!”基蒂低声说道,“你怎么了?你脸色怎么这么苍白!”

“The abominable creature” murmured D’Artagnan.
“这个可恶的家伙,”达达尼安喃喃道。

“Silence, silence, begone!” said Kitty. “There is nothing but a wainscot between my chamber and Milady’s; —
“别说话,别说话,走开!”基蒂说。“我的房间和米莱迪的只隔着一堵壁橱; —

every word that is uttered in one can be heard in the other.”
两个房间之间说的每句话都可以在另一个房间听到。”

“That’s exactly the reason I won’t go,” said D’Artagnan.
“这正是我不愿去的原因,”达达尼安说。

“What!” said Kitty, blushing.
“什么!”凯蒂红着脸说道。

“Or, at least, I will go–later.”
“或者,至少,我会去–晚一点。”

He drew Kitty to him. She had the less motive to resist, resistance would make so much noise. —
他拉着凯蒂。她没有什么动力去抵抗,抵抗会引起很大的骚动。 —

Therefore Kitty surrendered.
因此凯蒂投降了。

It was a movement of vengeance upon Milady. —
这是对米莉迪的报复行动。 —

D’Artagnan believed it right to say that vengeance is the pleasure of the gods. —
达达尼安相信报复是神明的乐趣。 —

With a little more heart, he might have been contented with this new conquest; —
稍微有点心思,他可能会对这次新的征服感到满足; —

but the principal features of his character were ambition and pride. —
但他性格的主要特点是野心和自尊。 —

It must, however, be confessed in his justification that the first use he made of his influence over Kitty was to try and find out what had become of Mme. Bonacieux; —
但必须承认,他对凯蒂产生影响的第一件事是试图找出波纳谢夫人的下落; —

but the poor girl swore upon the crucifix to D’Artagnan that she was entirely ignorant on that head, her mistress never admitting her into half her secrets–only she believed she could say she was not dead.
但可怜的女孩在十字架上向达达尼安发誓,自己对这事一无所知,她的主人从不让她参与她一半的秘密–只是她相信她可以说她没有死。

As to the cause which was near making Milady lose her credit with the cardinal, Kitty knew nothing about it; —
至于使米莉迪失去信用于红衣主教的原因,凯蒂一无所知; —

but this time D’Artagnan was better informed than she was. —
但这一次达达尼安比她了解得更多。 —

As he had seen Milady on board a vessel at the moment he was leaving England, he suspected that it was, almost without a doubt, on account of the diamond studs.
他在离开英格兰的时候曾看到米莉迪上船,他怀疑这几乎可以肯定是因为钻石纽扣。

But what was clearest in all this was that the true hatred, the profound hatred, the inveterate hatred of Milady, was increased by his not having killed her brother-in-law.
但在这一切中最清楚的是,米莉迪的真正的憎恨、深切的憎恨、根深蒂固的憎恨,增加了他没有杀死她的姐夫的原因。

D’Artagnan came the next day to Milady’s, and finding her in a very ill-humor, had no doubt that it was lack of an answer from M. de Wardes that provoked her thus. —
达达尼昂第二天来到米莱迪那里,发现她心情很糟,毫无疑问,这是因为德瓦德斯没有回复她而引起的。 —

Kitty came in, but Milady was very cross with her. —
基蒂进来了,但米莱迪对她很不耐烦。 —

The poor girl ventured a glance at D’Artagnan which said, “See how I suffer on your account!”
可怜的女孩向达达尼昂投来一瞥,意味着“看我是因为你而受苦!”

Toward the end of the evening, however, the beautiful lioness became milder; —
然而,到了晚上,美丽的狮子变得温和了; —

she smilingly listened to the soft speeches of D’Artagnan, and even gave him her hand to kiss.
她微笑着听着达达尼昂温柔的话语,甚至还让他亲吻她的手。

D’Artagnan departed, scarcely knowing what to think, but as he was a youth who did not easily lose his head, while continuing to pay his court to Milady, he had framed a little plan in his mind.
达达尼昂离开时,几乎不知所措,但他是一个不容易迷失头脑的年轻人,继续向米莱迪献殷勤时,他在心中构想了一个小计划。

He found Kitty at the gate, and, as on the preceding evening, went up to her chamber. —
他在门口找到基蒂,和前一晚一样,来到她的房间去了。 —

Kitty had been accused of negligence and severely scolded. —
基蒂被指责疏忽,遭到严厉训斥。 —

Milady could not at all comprehend the silence of the Comte de Wardes, and she ordered Kitty to come at nine o’clock in the morning to take a third letter.
米莱迪根本不能理解德瓦德斯的沉默,她命令基蒂早上九点来拿第三封信。

D’Artagnan made Kitty promise to bring him that letter on the following morning. —
达达尼昂让基蒂承诺第二天早上把那封信带给他。 —

The poor girl promised all her lover desired; she was mad.
可怜的女孩答应了情人的一切要求;她疯了。

Things passed as on the night before. D’Artagnan concealed himself in his closet; —
事情和前一天晚上一样。达达尼昂隐藏在壁橱里; —

Milady called, undressed, sent away Kitty, and shut the door. —
米莱迪叫来,脱衣服,打发走基蒂,然后关上门。 —

As the night before, D’Artagnan did not return home till five o’clock in the morning.
像前一晚一样,达达尼昂直到早上五点才回家。

At eleven o’clock Kitty came to him. She held in her hand a fresh billet from Milady. —
十一点,基蒂来到他那里。她手里拿着米莱迪的一封新便条。 —

This time the poor girl did not even argue with D’Artagnan; —
这次可怜的女孩甚至没有与达达尼安争执; —

she gave it to him at once. She belonged body and soul to her handsome soldier.
她立刻把信交给了他。她全心全意属于她英俊的士兵。

D’Artagnan opened the letter and read as follows:
达达尼安打开信读到如下内容:

This is the third time I have written to you to tell you that I love you. —
这是我写给你的第三封信,告诉你我爱你。 —

Beware that I do not write to you a fourth time to tell you that I detest you.
当心,我可不会写给你第四封信来告诉你我憎恶你。

If you repent of the manner in which you have acted toward me, the young girl who brings you this will tell you how a man of spirit may obtain his pardon.
如果你懊悔你对我的态度,带信来给你的这位年轻女孩会告诉你一个有胆气的人如何获得宽恕。

D’Artagnan colored and grew pale several times in reading this billet.
达达尼安读着这张便条时几次脸色泛白又泛红。

“Oh, you love her still,” said Kitty, who had not taken her eyes off the young man’s countenance for an instant.
“哦,你仍然爱着她”,凯蒂说,她没有移开视线盯着那年轻人的脸。

“No, Kitty, you are mistaken. I do not love her, but I will avenge myself for her contempt.”
“不,凯蒂,你错了。我并不爱她,但我会为她的蔑视而报复。”

“Oh, yes, I know what sort of vengeance! You told me that!”
“哦,是的,我知道你会采取什么样的报复!你告诉过我!”

“What matters it to you, Kitty? You know it is you alone whom I love.”
“凯蒂,这与你何干?你知道我只爱你。”

“How can I know that?”
“我怎么会知道?”

“By the scorn I will throw upon her.”
“从我将对她的蔑视可见出来。”

D’Artagnan took a pen and wrote:
达达尼安端起笔写道:

Madame, Until the present moment I could not believe that it was to me your first two letters were addressed, so unworthy did I feel myself of such an honor; —
夫人,直到现在我都无法相信你前两封信是写给我的,我觉得自己不配获得这样的荣誉; —

besides, I was so seriously indisposed that I could not in any case have replied to them.
此外,我病得如此严重,根本无法回复他们。

But now I am forced to believe in the excess of your kindness, since not only your letter but your servant assures me that I have the good fortune to be beloved by you.
但如今我被迫相信您太过宽容,因为不仅您的信函,连您的仆人也向我保证我有幸被您所爱。

She has no occasion to teach me the way in which a man of spirit may obtain his pardon. —
她无须教我一个有勇气的人如何获得宽恕。 —

I will come and ask mine at eleven o’clock this evening.
我将在今晚十一点来请求我的宽恕。

To delay it a single day would be in my eyes now to commit a fresh offense.
延迟一天视为再次犯错。

From him whom you have rendered the happiest of men, Comte de Wardes
从您让成为最幸福的人那里,瓦尔德伯爵

This note was in the first place a forgery; it was likewise an indelicacy. —
正如读后评论所指出的:此便条不仅是伪造,也是一种缺乏礼仪。 —

It was even, according to our present manners, something like an infamous action; —
甚至在我们现今的风俗下,这都可以算是卑鄙的行为; —

but at that period people did not manage affairs as they do today. —
然而在那个时代人们处理事务的方式与今日不同。 —

Besides, D’Artagnan from her own admission knew Milady culpable of treachery in matters more important, and could entertain no respect for her. —
此外,达达尼昂已从她自己的口中得知米莱迪在更重要的事情上有背叛行为,并且对她毫无尊重。 —

And yet, notwithstanding this want of respect, he felt an uncontrollable passion for this woman boiling in his veins–passion drunk with contempt; —
然而,尽管缺乏尊敬,他体内对这个女人激发了一股无法控制的激情–激情和蔑视交织在一起; —

but passion or thirst, as the reader pleases.
但激情或渴望,读者可以随意选择。

D’Artagnan’s plan was very simple. By Kitty’s chamber he could gain that of her mistress. —
达达尼昂的计划非常简单。通过基蒂的房间,他可以进入她主人的房间。 —

He would take advantage of the first moment of surprise, shame, and terror, to triumph over her. —
他会利用第一刻的惊讶、羞耻和恐惧,来战胜她。 —

He might fail, but something must be left to chance. —
他可能会失败,但一些事情必须留给机会。 —

In eight days the campaign would open, and he would be compelled to leave Paris; —
在八天后,战役将会开始,他将不得不离开巴黎; —

D’Artagnan had no time for a prolonged love siege.
达达尼昂没有时间进行漫长的爱的围攻。

“There,” said the young man, handing Kitty the letter sealed; —
“在这里,”年轻人递给基蒂密封好的信封; —

“give that to Milady. It is the count’s reply.”
“把这封信交给米莱迪。这是伯爵的回复。”

Poor Kitty became as pale as death; she suspected what the letter contained.
可怜的基蒂变得苍白如死,她猜到了信封里面的内容。

“Listen, my dear girl,” said D’Artagnan; “you cannot but perceive that all this must end, some way or other. —
“听着,亲爱的女孩,”达达尼昂说,“你必须意识到,所有这一切终究会有个了结。” —

Milady may discover that you gave the first billet to my lackey instead of to the count’s; —
米莱迪可能会发现你把第一封信给了我的仆人,而不是伯爵的。 —

that it is I who have opened the others which ought to have been opened by De Wardes. —
是我打开了本应由德瓦德斯打开的那些。 —

Milady will then turn you out of doors, and you know she is not the woman to limit her vengeance. —
米莱迪会把你赶出家门的,你知道她是不会放过报复的。 —

“Alas!” said Kitty, “for whom have I exposed myself to all that?”
“啊!”凯蒂说,“我为了谁才冒着这一切的风险呢?”

“For me, I well know, my sweet girl,” said D’Artagnan. “But I am grateful, I swear to you.”
“为了我,我清楚,我亲爱的姑娘,”达达尼安说。“但我非常感激,我向你发誓。”

“But what does this note contain?”
“但这封信里写了什么?”

“Milady will tell you.”
“米莱迪会告诉你的。”

“Ah, you do not love me!” cried Kitty, “and I am very wretched.”
“啊,你不爱我!”凯蒂哭道,“我很可怜。”

To this reproach there is always one response which deludes women. —
对于这种指责,总有一种让女人困惑的回应。 —

D’Artagnan replied in such a manner that Kitty remained in her great delusion. —
达达尼安的回答让凯蒂依然陶醉其中。 —

Although she cried freely before deciding to transmit the letter to her mistress, she did at last so decide, which was all D’Artagnan wished. —
尽管在决定把信转交给女主人之前她哭了出来,但最终她还是这样决定了,这正是达达尼安所希望的。 —

Finally he promised that he would leave her mistress’s presence at an early hour that evening, and that when he left the mistress he would ascend with the maid. —
最后,他承诺会在当晚早些时候离开她的主人的房间,离开主人的时候会带上这位女仆。 —

This promise completed poor Kitty’s consolation.
这个承诺结束了可怜的凯蒂的慰藉。