MEANS FOR CLASSICAL TRAGEDY
古典悲剧的手段

After a moment of silence employed by Milady in observing the young man who listened to her, Milady continued her recital.
在一阵沉默之后,MiLady继续她的讲述。

“It was nearly three days since I had eaten or drunk anything. I suffered frightful torments. —
“我已经将近三天没有进食或饮水了。我经历了可怕的折磨。 —

At times there passed before me clouds which pressed my brow, which veiled my eyes; this was delirium.
有时云彩在我眼前掠过,压在我的额头上,遮住我的眼睛;这是神志不清。

“When the evening came I was so weak that every time I fainted I thanked God, for I thought I was about to die.
“当晚上来临时,我如此虚弱,以至于每次我昏倒时都是在感谢上帝,因为我以为我快要死了。

“In the midst of one of these swoons I heard the door open. Terror recalled me to myself.
“在一个昏厥之中,我听到门被打开。恐惧使我清醒过来。

“He entered the apartment followed by a man in a mask. He was masked likewise; —
“他走进房间,身后跟着一个戴着面具的人。他也戴着面具; —

but I knew his step, I knew his voice, I knew him by that imposing bearing which hell has bestowed upon his person for the curse of humanity.
但我认得他的步伐,我认得他的声音,我从他威严的举止中认出了他,那是地狱赐予他人类的诅咒。

”‘Well,’ said he to me, ‘have you made your mind up to take the oath I requested of you?’
“‘好吧,’他对我说,‘你决定接受我要求你发誓的誓言了吗?’

”‘You have said Puritans have but one word. —
“‘你说清教徒只说真话。 —

Mine you have heard, and that is to pursue you–on earth to the tribunal of men, in heaven to the tribunal of God.’
你听到了我的,我发誓,我将追逐你–在人们的法庭上追逐你,在上帝的法庭上追逐你。

”‘You persist, then?’
“‘你还固执吗?’

”‘I swear it before the God who hears me. —
“‘我发誓在听见我的上帝面前。 —

I will take the whole world as a witness of your crime, and that until I have found an avenger.’
我要让全世界作为你罪行的证人,直到我找到复仇者。

”‘You are a prostitute,’ said he, in a voice of thunder, ‘and you shall undergo the punishment of prostitutes! —
“‘你是个妓女,’他以雷鸣般的声音说道,‘你将受到妓女的惩罚! —

Branded in the eyes of the world you invoke, try to prove to that world that you are neither guilty nor mad!’
在世界眼中被刻上的印记,你得证明给那个世界看,你既不是有罪的,也不是疯狂的!

“Then, addressing the man who accompanied him, ‘Executioner,’ said he, ‘do your duty.’”
“然后,他对随行的人说:‘刽子手,尽你的职责吧。’”

“Oh, his name, his name!” cried Felton. “His name, tell it me!”
“‘哦,他的名字,他的名字!’费尔顿喊道。‘他的名字,告诉我!’”

“Then in spite of my cries, in spite of my resistance–for I began to comprehend that there was a question of something worse than death–the executioner seized me, threw me on the floor, fastened me with his bonds, and suffocated by sobs, almost without sense, invoking God, who did not listen to me, I uttered all at once a frightful cry of pain and shame. —
“然后尽管我哭喊,尽管我抵抗——因为我开始明白这不仅是关乎死亡的问题——刽子手抓住我,将我摔在地上,用绳子捆绑住我,我窒息着抽泣,几乎失去意识,呼唤着上帝,但上帝没听我,我突然发出了一声巨大的痛苦和羞耻的哭声。” —

A burning fire, a red-hot iron, the iron of the executioner, was imprinted on my shoulder.”
“一团烈火,一把红热的铁,刽子手的铁,印在了我的肩膀上。”

Felton uttered a groan.
费尔顿发出一声呻吟。

“Here,” said Milady, rising with the majesty of a queen, “here, Felton, behold the new martyrdom invented for a pure young girl, the victim of the brutality of a villain. —
“看这里,”米莱迪站起来,带着一位女王的威严说,“费尔顿,看这位纯洁少女所遭遇的新型烈火试炼,遭受暴徒的野蛮。 —

Learn to know the heart of men, and henceforth make yourself less easily the instrument of their unjust vengeance.”
学会了解人心,并且从此减少成为他们不公正复仇的工具。”

Milady, with a rapid gesture, opened her robe, tore the cambric that covered her bosom, and red with feigned anger and simulated shame, showed the young man the ineffaceable impression which dishonored that beautiful shoulder.
米莱迪用一个快速的手势打开她的长袍,撕开了掩盖她胸膛的亚麻布,面红愤怒、虚伪羞耻,向这位年轻男子展示了那个辱尽美丽的肩膀上无法抹去的印记。

“But,” cried Felton, “that is a FLEUR-DE-LIS which I see there.”
“但是,”费尔顿喊道,“我看到的是一朵铁十字。”

“And therein consisted the infamy,” replied Milady. “The brand of England! —
“这正是耻辱的所在,”米莱迪回答说。“英国的印记! —

–it would be necessary to prove what tribunal had imposed it on me, and I could have made a public appeal to all the tribunals of the kingdom; —
那就需要证明是哪个法庭在我身上刻的,我本可以向王国的所有法庭公开呼吁; —

but the brand of France!–oh, by that, by THAT I was branded indeed!”
法国的印记!哦,那才是真正污辱了我!”

This was too much for Felton.
这对费尔顿来说太过分了。

Pale, motionless, overwhelmed by this frightful revelation, dazzled by the superhuman beauty of this woman who unveiled herself before him with an immodesty which appeared to him sublime, he ended by falling on his knees before her as the early Christians did before those pure and holy martyrs whom the persecution of the emperors gave up in the circus to the sanguinary sensuality of the populace. —
苍白、不动、被这可怕的揭示压倒,在这个超凡美丽的女人在他面前展示出一种他认为崇高的不检点时,他最终跪倒在她面前,就像早期的基督徒在斗兽场上那些被皇帝迫害送上去让民众享受血腥宴乐的纯洁圣洁的烈士们前跪拜一样。 —

The brand disappeared; the beauty alone remained.
品牌消失了;美丽却依然存在。

“Pardon! Pardon!” cried Felton, “oh, pardon!”
“请原谅!请原谅!” 费尔顿喊道,”哦,原谅!”

Milady read in his eyes LOVE! LOVE!
米莱迪在他的眼中看到了爱!爱!

“Pardon for what?” asked she.
“请求原谅什么?” 她问。

“Pardon me for having joined with your persecutors.”
“请原谅我与你的迫害者一同结队的行为。”

Milady held out her hand to him.
米莱迪向他伸出手。

“So beautiful! so young!” cried Felton, covering that hand with his kisses.
“如此美丽!如此年轻!” 费尔顿大叫着,用吻覆盖着那只手。

Milady let one of those looks fall upon him which make a slave of a king.
米莱迪投来一个使国王俯首的眼神。

Felton was a Puritan; he abandoned the hand of this woman to kiss her feet.
费尔顿是个清教徒;他放弃了这个女人的手,去亲吻她的脚。

He no longer loved her; he adored her.
他不再爱她;他崇拜她。

When this crisis was past, when Milady appeared to have resumed her self-possession, which she had never lost; —
当这场危机过去了,当米莱迪似乎已经恢复了自制,她从未失去过; —

when Felton had seen her recover with the veil of chastity those treasures of love which were only concealed from him to make him desire them the more ardently, he said, “Ah, now! —
当费尔顿看到她用贞洁的面纱重新获得了那些爱的宝藏,那些只是为了让他更热切地渴望而隐藏起来的时候,他说,”啊,现在! —

I have only one thing to ask of you; that is, the name of your true executioner. —
我只有一个请求;那就是,告诉我你真正的刽子手的名字。 —

For to me there is but one; the other was an instrument, that was all.”
对我来说只有一个;另一个只是个工具,仅此而已。”

“What, brother!” cried Milady, “must I name him again? Have you not yet divined who he is?”
“什么,兄弟!” 米莱迪喊道,”我还需要再次告诉你他是谁吗?你难道还没有猜到吗?”

“What?” cried Felton, “he–again he–always he? What–the truly guilty?”
“什么?”费尔顿大喊道,“他–又是他–总是他?什么–真正有罪的人?”

“The truly guilty,” said Milady, “is the ravager of England, the persecutor of true believers, the base ravisher of the honor of so many women–he who, to satisfy a caprice of his corrupt heart, is about to make England shed so much blood, who protects the Protestants today and will betray them tomorrow–”
“真正有罪的人,”米莱迪说,“是英格兰的破坏者,真正信徒的迫害者,那么多女性荣誉的卑鄙掠夺者–为了满足他腐化心灵的一时兴致,即将让英格兰流血,今天保护新教徒,明天却会背叛他们的人–”

“Buckingham! It is, then, Buckingham!” cried Felton, in a high state of excitement.
“巴克卫!那么,就是巴克卫!”费尔顿兴奋地高喊道。

Milady concealed her face in her hands, as if she could not endure the shame which this name recalled to her.
米莱迪用手掩面,仿佛不能忍受这个名字给她带来的耻辱。

“Buckingham, the executioner of this angelic creature!” cried Felton. —
“巴克卫,这个天使般的人物的刽子手!”费尔顿叫道。 —

“And thou hast not hurled thy thunder at him, my God! —
“你竟没有向他发出雷霆,我的上帝! —

And thou hast left him noble, honored, powerful, for the ruin of us all!”
你把他留在高贵、尊敬、强大之中,为了我们众人的毁灭!”

“God abandons him who abandons himself,” said Milady.
“背弃自己的人,上帝会抛弃他,”米莱迪说。

“But he will draw upon his head the punishment reserved for the damned!” —
“但他将招致邪恶者所受的惩罚!” —

said Felton, with increasing exultation. —
费尔顿越来越兴奋地说。 —

“He wills that human vengeance should precede celestial justice.”
“他希望人类的复仇先于天国的审判。”

“Men fear him and spare him.”
“人们害怕他,所以放过他。”

“I,” said Felton, “I do not fear him, nor will I spare him.”
“我,”费尔顿说,“我不害怕他,也不会放过他。”

The soul of Milady was bathed in an infernal joy.
米莱迪的灵魂沐浴在地狱般的喜悦中。

“But how can Lord de Winter, my protector, my father,” asked Felton, “possibly be mixed up with all this?”
“但是我的保护者,我的父亲德温特爵士,怎么可能与这一切扯上关系呢?”问菲尔顿。

“Listen, Felton,” resumed Milady, “for by the side of base and contemptible men there are often found great and generous natures. —
“听着,菲尔顿,”密莱迪接着说,”因为在一些卑鄙可鄙的人身边,常常也有伟大而慷慨的天性。 —

I had an affianced husband, a man whom I loved, and who loved me–a heart like yours, Felton, a man like you. —
“我曾有一位未婚夫,一个我爱着并且他也爱着我的男人–像你这样的心,菲尔顿,像你这样的人。 —

I went to him and told him all; he knew me, that man did, and did not doubt an instant. —
“我去找他并把一切告诉了他;那个男人了解我,他不会有丝毫怀疑。 —

He was a nobleman, a man equal to Buckingham in every respect. He said nothing; —
“他是一个贵族,一个在各个方面与白金汉公爵相等的男人。他没有说什么; —

he only girded on his sword, wrapped himself in his cloak, and went straight to Buckingham Palace.
“他只是佩剑,裹紧斗篷,径直去了白金汉宫。

“Yes, yes,” said Felton; “I understand how he would act. —
“是的,是的,”菲尔顿说着;”我懂他会怎么做。 —

But with such men it is not the sword that should be employed; —
“但是对于这样的人,不应该使用剑; —

it is the poniard.”
“应该使用匕首。”

“Buckingham had left England the day before, sent as ambassador to Spain, to demand the hand of the Infanta for King Charles I, who was then only Prince of Wales. My affianced husband returned.
“白金汉在出发前一天离开英格兰,作为驻西班牙大使,要求查理一世的未婚妻手。

”‘Hear me,’ said he; ‘this man has gone, and for the moment has consequently escaped my vengeance; —
“‘听着,’他说;‘这个人已经去了,因此暂时逃过了我的复仇; —

but let us be united, as we were to have been, and then leave it to Lord de Winter to maintain his own honor and that of his wife.’”
“但是让我们团结起来,就像我们原本会的那样,并且让德温特爵士来维护他自己的荣誉和他妻子的荣誉。’”

“Lord de Winter!” cried Felton.
“德温特爵士!”菲尔顿喊道。

“Yes,” said Milady, “Lord de Winter; and now you can understand it all, can you not? —
“是的,”密莱迪说,”德温特爵士;现在你明白一切了,对吗? —

Buckingham remained nearly a year absent. —
“白金汉离开英格兰将近一年。 —

A week before his return Lord de Winter died, leaving me his sole heir. Whence came the blow? —
在他返回的一周前,德温特勋爵去世了,把我留作唯一的继承人。这一击是从哪里来的? —

God who knows all, knows without doubt; but as for me, I accuse nobody.”
神知道一切,无疑,但至于我,我不指责任何人。”

“Oh, what an abyss; what an abyss!” cried Felton.
“哦,这是何等的深渊;何等的深渊!”费尔顿叫道。

“Lord de Winter died without revealing anything to his brother. —
“德温特勋爵去世时没有向他的兄弟透露任何事情。 —

The terrible secret was to be concealed till it burst, like a clap of thunder, over the head of the guilty. —
可怕的秘密应当保密,直到它像一声雷霆一样突然落在那些有罪的人的头上。 —

Your protector had seen with pain this marriage of his elder brother with a portionless girl. —
你的保护者非常痛心他的哥哥与一个没有一分钱的女孩结婚。 —

I was sensible that I could look for no support from a man disappointed in his hopes of an inheritance. —
我意识到我无法从一个对继承失望的人那里得到支持。 —

I went to France, with a determination to remain there for the rest of my life. —
我决定永远留在法国。 —

But all my fortune is in England. Communication being closed by the war, I was in want of everything. —
但我的一切财产都在英国。由于战争的封锁,我无所依靠。 —

I was then obliged to come back again. Six days ago, I landed at Portsmouth.”
我被迫再次返回。六天前,我在朴茨茅斯登陆。”

“Well?” said Felton.
“那么?”费尔顿说。

“Well; Buckingham heard by some means, no doubt, of my return. —
“嗯;白金汉通过某种方式得知了我的回归。 —

He spoke of me to Lord de Winter, already prejudiced against me, and told him that his sister-in-law was a prostitute, a branded woman. —
他向对我怀有偏见的德温特勋爵提起了我,并告诉他说他的弟妇是个妓女,一个被打烙印的女人。 —

The noble and pure voice of my husband was no longer here to defend me. —
我丈夫高贵纯洁的声音再也无法为我辩护了。 —

Lord de Winter believed all that was told him with so much the more ease that it was his interest to believe it. —
德温特勋爵更容易相信所有这些被告诉他的事情,因为相信这些对他有利。 —

He caused me to be arrested, had me conducted hither, and placed me under your guard. —
他导致我被逮捕,让我被带到这里,并将我置于你的看守之下。 —

You know the rest. The day after tomorrow he banishes me, he transports me; —
你知道其余情况。后天他将放逐我,他将我流放; —

the day after tomorrow he exiles me among the infamous. Oh, the train is well laid; —
后天他将我流放到卑劣之人中。哦,陷阱设得很好; —

the plot is clever. My honor will not survive it! —
阴谋巧妙。我的荣誉将无法幸存! —

You see, then, Felton, I can do nothing but die. —
所以,Felton,我只能去死了。 —

Felton, give me that knife!”
Felton,把那把小刀给我!”

And at these words, as if all her strength was exhausted, Milady sank, weak and languishing, into the arms of the young officer, who, intoxicated with love, anger, and voluptuous sensations hitherto unknown, received her with transport, pressed her against his heart, all trembling at the breath from that charming mouth, bewildered by the contact with that palpitating bosom.
说着,像是所有的力量都被耗尽一般,米莱迪软弱无力地倒在年轻官员的怀中,他被爱、愤怒和迄今未知的欢愉感觉所陶醉,极度兴奋地接受着她,将她紧紧拥抱在胸前,颤抖着感受着来自那张迷人嘴唇的气息,被那跳动的胸膛的接触所迷惑。

“No, no,” said he. “No, you shall live honored and pure; —
“不,不,”他说。”不,你将以尊贵而纯洁的方式生活; —

you shall live to triumph over your enemies.”
你将活着战胜你的敌人。”

Milady put him from her slowly with her hand, while drawing him nearer with her look; —
米莱迪慢慢用手推开他,同时用眼神把他拉得更近; —

but Felton, in his turn, embraced her more closely, imploring her like a divinity.
但费尔顿转而更紧地拥抱着她,像神一样恳求她。

“Oh, death, death!” said she, lowering her voice and her eyelids, “oh, death, rather than shame! —
“哦,死亡,死亡!”她降低声音和眼睛说, “哦,死亡,而不是耻辱! —

Felton, my brother, my friend, I conjure you!”
费尔顿,我的兄弟、我的朋友,我恳求你!”

“No,” cried Felton, “no; you shall live and you shall be avenged.”
“不,”费尔顿叫道, “不;你将活下去,你将得到复仇。”

“Felton, I bring misfortune to all who surround me! Felton, abandon me! Felton, let me die!”
“费尔顿,我给周围所有的人带来厄运!费尔顿,离开我!费尔顿,让我死吧!”

“Well, then, we will live and die together!” cried he, pressing his lips to those of the prisoner.
“那么,我们将生死与共!”他喊道,将嘴唇压在囚犯的嘴唇上。

Several strokes resounded on the door; this time Milady really pushed him away from her.
几声敲门声响起;这一次Milady确实将他推开。

“Hark,” said she, “we have been overheard! Someone is coming! All is over! We are lost!”
“听着,”她说,“我们被人听到了!有人来了!一切都完了!我们完蛋了!”

“No,” said Felton; it is only the sentinel warning me that they are about to change the guard.”
“不是的,”Felton说;这只是哨兵警告我要换岗了。”

“Then run to the door, and open it yourself.”
“那么去门口,自己开门。”

Felton obeyed; this woman was now his whole thought, his whole soul.
Felton服从了;这个女人现在是他整个的思考,他的整个灵魂。

He found himself face to face with a sergeant commanding a watch- patrol.
他发现自己面对面地与一名指挥哨兵巡逻的中士对视。

“Well, what is the matter?” asked the young lieutenant.
“好了,出了什么事?”年轻的中尉问道。

“You told me to open the door if I heard anyone cry out,” said the soldier; —
“你让我听到有人喊了就开门,”士兵说; —

“but you forgot to leave me the key. I heard you cry out, without understanding what you said. —
“但你忘了把钥匙留给我。我听到你喊了,但不明白你在说什么。 —

I tried to open the door, but it was locked inside; —
我试图打开门,但里面锁着; —

then I called the sergeant.”
然后我叫来了中士。”

“And here I am,” said the sergeant.
“我在这儿,”中士说。

Felton, quite bewildered, almost mad, stood speechless.
Felton完全困惑,几乎发疯,说不出话来。

Milady plainly perceived that it was now her turn to take part in the scene. —
Milady明确感觉到现在是她参与场面的时候了。 —

She ran to the table, and seizing the knife which Felton had laid down, exclaimed, “And by what right will you prevent me from dying?”
她跑向桌子,抓起费尔顿放下的刀子,喊道:“你凭什么阻止我去死呢?”

“Great God!” exclaimed Felton, on seeing the knife glitter in her hand.
费尔顿看到刀子在她手中闪闪发光,大声说:“天哪!”

At that moment a burst of ironical laughter resounded through the corridor. —
在走廊里响起了讥讽的笑声。 —

The baron, attracted by the noise, in his chamber gown, his sword under his arm, stood in the doorway.
男爵听到声音,穿着睡袍,手里拿着剑,站在门口。

“Ah,” said he, “here we are, at the last act of the tragedy. —
他说:“啊,我们来到了悲剧的最后一幕。 —

You see, Felton, the drama has gone through all the phases I named; —
你看,费尔顿,这场戏已经经历过我说过的所有阶段; —

but be easy, no blood will flow.”
但放心,不会有鲜血流出。”

Milady perceived that all was lost unless she gave Felton an immediate and terrible proof of her courage.
密蓉意识到,除非她立即给费尔顿一个可怕的勇气证明,否则一切都完了。

“You are mistaken, my Lord, blood will flow; —
“你错了,我的主,会有鲜血流出; —

and may that blood fall back on those who cause it to flow!”
愿这血溅到那些使它流淌的人身上!”

Felton uttered a cry, and rushed toward her. He was too late; Milady had stabbed herself.
费尔顿发出一声呼喊,冲向她。但来不及了;密蓉已经刺伤了自己。

But the knife had fortunately, we ought to say skillfully, come in contact with the steel busk, which at that period, like a cuirass, defended the chests of women. —
但刀子幸运地,或者应该说巧妙地,与那时期像护胸甲一样保卫女性胸部的钢骨相接触。 —

It had glided down it, tearing the robe, and had penetrated slantingly between the flesh and the ribs. —
它沿着它滑下去,撕裂了长袍,斜斜地穿过肉体刺入肋骨之间。 —

Milady’s robe was not the less stained with blood in a second.
密蓉的长袍在一瞬间也被鲜血染红。

Milady fell down, and seemed to be in a swoon.
密蓉倒下,看起来像是晕过去了。

Felton snatched away the knife.
费尔顿夺走了刀子。

“See, my Lord,” said he, in a deep, gloomy tone, “here is a woman who was under my guard, and who has killed herself!”
“看,我大人,”他用深沉而阴郁的语调说道,“这是一个受我看护的女子,她自尽了!”

“Be at ease, Felton,” said Lord de Winter. “She is not dead; —
“安心吧,费尔顿,”德·温特勋爵说道。“她并没有死; —

demons do not die so easily. Be tranquil, and go wait for me in my chamber.”
恶魔并不会轻易死去。安静下来,去我的房间等我。”

“But, my Lord–”
“可是,我大人——”

“Go, sir, I command you!”
“走吧,先生,我命令你!”

At this injunction from his superior, Felton obeyed; —
在上级的命令下,费尔顿遵从了; —

but in going out, he put the knife into his bosom.
但在离开时,他把刀子放在怀里。

As to Lord de Winter, he contented himself with calling the woman who waited on Milady, and when she was come, he recommended the prisoner, who was still fainting, to her care, and left them alone.
至于德·温特勋爵,他只让等候在密蒂的侍女进来,并在她来时,他把昏晕的囚犯托付给她照看,并将她们独自留下。

Meanwhile, all things considered and notwithstanding his suspicions, as the wound might be serious, he immediately sent off a mounted man to find a physician.
与此同时,考虑了所有情况,尽管怀疑仍在,因为伤口可能很严重,他立即派人去找医生。