THE CARMELITE CONCERT AT BETHUNE
伯太恩的加尔默罗音乐会

Great criminals bear bout them a kind of predestination which makes them surmount all obstacles, which makes them escape all dangers, up to the moment which a wearied Providence has marked as the rock of their impious fortunes.
巨匪们身上有一种某种命运注定的气质,使他们能够战胜一切困难,逃脱所有危险,直到疲倦的命运将他们的邪恶命运注定在某个时刻为止。

It was thus with Milady. She escaped the cruisers of both nations, and arrived at Boulogne without accident.
米拉迪就是这样。她成功逃过了两国的巡逻艇,平安抵达布伦。

When landing at Portsmouth, Milady was an Englishwoman whom the persecutions of the French drove from La Rochelle; —
在朴次茅斯登陆时,米拉迪是被法国人的迫害逼离洛歇尔的英国人; —

when landing at Boulogne, after a two days’ passage, she passed for a Frenchwoman whom the English persecuted at Portsmouth out of their hatred for France.
在布伦登陆后,经过两天的航程,她就成了在朴次茅斯受到英国人迫害的法国人,由于英国对法国的憎恨。

Milady had, likewise, the best of passports-her beauty, her noble appearance, and the liberality with which she distribute her pistoles. —
米拉迪也有最好的护照——她的美貌,她高贵的外表,以及她慷慨地分发的金币。 —

Freed from the usual formalities by the affable smile and gallant manners of an old governor of the port, who kissed her hand, she only remained long enough at Boulogne to put into the post a letter, conceived in the following terms:
在一位友善的老港口总督亲切的微笑和彬彬有礼的举止下,摆脱了通常的程序,他亲吻了她的手,她只在布伦逗留了足够的时间,把以下措词的信投进了邮箱:

“To his Eminence Monseigneur the Cardinal Richelieu, in his camp before La Rochelle.
“致大主教枢机主教里舍卢,在罗歇尔之前的营地。

Monseigneur, Let your Eminence be reassured. —
“大主教,请放心。 —

His Grace the Duke of Buckingham WILL NOT SET OUT for France. MILADY DE-
“白金汉公爵决不会前往法国。密蒂·德-

“BOULOGNE, evening of the twenty-fifth.
“布洛涂,二十五日的晚上。

“P.S.-According to the desire of your Eminence, I report to the convent of the Carmelites at Bethune, where I will await your orders.”
“附言-根据大主教的要求,我前往贝都讷的加尔默罗修道院,等候您的命令。”

Accordingly, that same evening Milady commenced her journey. Night overtook her; —
“于是,当晚密蒂开始了她的旅程。夜幕降临; —

she stopped, and slept at an inn. At five o’clock the next morning she again proceeded, and in three hours after entered Bethune. —
“她停下休息,并在一家旅馆过夜。第二天清晨五点,她再次启程,三个小时后抵达贝都讷。 —

She inquired for the convent of the Carmelites, and went thither immediately.
“她打听到加尔默罗修道院,并立即前往那里。

The superior met her; Milady showed her the cardinal’s order. —
“修道院院长见到了她;密蒂展示了主教的命令。 —

The abbess assigned her a chamber, and had breakfast served.
“院长给她安排了一间房间,并准备了早餐。

All the past was effaced from the eyes of this woman; —
“过去的一切从这个女人的眼中被抹去; —

and her looks, fixed on the future, beheld nothing but the high fortunes reserved for her by the cardinal, whom she had so successfully served without his name being in any way mixed up with the sanguinary affair. —
“她的目光始终注视着未来,只看到了主教为她预备的高尚命运,她成功为主教服务,而主教的名字却与血腥事件没有任何关系。 —

The ever-new passions which consumed her gave to her life the appearance of those clouds which float in the heavens, reflecting sometimes azure, sometimes fire, sometimes the opaque blackness of the tempest, and which leave no traces upon the earth behind them but devastation and death.
“她燃烧的永不熄灭的激情,使她的生活看起来像那些飘浮在天空中的云彩,有时候反射着蔚蓝,有时候火焰,有时候是暴风雨的不透明黑暗,留下的却只有毁灭和死亡。

After breakfast, the abbess came to pay her a visit. —
“早餐后,修道院院长前来拜访她。 —

There is very little amusement in the cloister, and the good superior was eager to make the acquaintance of her new boarder.
“在修道院里几乎没有什么消遣,善良的院长急于结识她的新住客。”

Milady wished to please the abbess. This was a very easy matter for a woman so really superior as she was. —
米莱迪希望讨好修道院院长。对于像她这样真正出类拔萃的女人来说,这是一件非常容易的事情。 —

She tried to be agreeable, and she was charming, winning the good superior by her varied conversation and by the graces of her whole personality.
她努力讨人喜欢,她非常迷人,以她整个人格的魅力赢得了善良的院长。

The abbess, who was the daughter of a noble house, took particular delight in stories of the court, which so seldom travel to the extremities of the kingdom, and which, above all, have so much difficulty in penetrating the walls of convents, at whose threshold the noise of the world dies away.
修道院院长是贵族家庭的女儿,特别喜欢听到很少传到王国边缘的宫廷故事,更不用说那些很难渗透到修道院墙内的宫廷故事了。

Milady, on the contrary, was quite conversant with all aristocratic intrigues, amid which she had constantly lived for five or six years. —
相反,米莱迪完全熟悉所有贵族阴谋,因为她已经在贵族圈中生活了五六年。 —

She made it her business, therefore, to amuse the good abbess with the worldly practices of the court of France, mixed with the eccentric pursuits of the king; —
因此,她一直以来都在做着取悦善良的修女,并讲述法国宫廷的世俗行径,与国王的古怪爱好混在一起; —

she made for her the scandalous chronicle of the lords and ladies of the court, whom the abbess knew perfectly by name, touched lightly on the amours of the queen and the Duke of Buckingham, talking a great deal to induce her auditor to talk a little.
她为她讲述了宫廷的贵族们的丑闻,那些修女通过姓名完全认识的贵族们,轻描淡写地谈及皇后和白金汉公爵的私情,让她的听者多讲一点。

But the abbess contented herself with listening and smiling without replying a word. —
但修女只是静静听着,微微一笑,不吭一字。 —

Milady, however, saw that this sort of narrative amused her very much, and kept at it; only she now let her conversation drift toward the cardinal.
然而,米莱迪看到这种叙述方式让她非常感兴趣,便继续下去;只是现在让她的谈话漂移到了主教身上。

But she was greatly embarrassed. She did not know whether the abbess was a royalist or a cardinalist; she therefore confined herself to a prudent middle course. —
但她感到非常为难。她不知道修女是皇室派还是主教派; 因此她采取了一个谨慎而中庸的立场。 —

But the abbess, on her part, maintained a reserve still more prudent, contenting herself with making a profound inclination of the head every time the fair traveler pronounced the name of his Eminence.
但修女方面保持了更为慎重的保留,每次听到这位美丽的旅行者提到枢机主教的名字时,只是深深地鞠了一躬。

Milady began to think she should soon grow weary of a convent life; —
米莱迪开始觉得她很快就会厌倦修道院的生活; —

she resolved, then, to risk something in order that she might know how to act afterward. —
她决定冒一些风险,以便了解之后该如何行动。 —

Desirous of seeing how far the discretion of the good abbess would go, she began to tell a story, obscure at first, but very circumstantial afterward, about the cardinal, relating the amours of the minister with Mme. d’Aiguillon, Marion de Lorme, and several other gay women.
为了看看善良修女的慎重会到何种程度,她开始讲述一个关于枢机主教的故事,一开始比较模糊,但后来又非常详细,关于部长和达伊古隆夫人、马里昂·德·洛尔姆以及其他几位风流女人的私情。

The abbess listened more attentively, grew animated by degrees, and smiled.
修女越来越认真地听着,逐渐兴奋起来,并微笑着。

“Good,” thought Milady; “she takes a pleasure in my conversation. —
“好的,”米莱迪想,“她对我的谈话感到愉悦。” —

If she is a cardinalist, she has no fanaticism, at least.
如果她是一个枢机主义者,那至少她没有狂热。

She then went on to describe the persecutions exercised by the cardinal upon his enemies. —
她接着描述了枢机主对他的敌人所施加的迫害。 —

The abbess only crossed herself, without approving or disapproving.
修女只是十字架,没有赞同或反对。

This confirmed Milady in her opinion that the abbess was rather royalist than cardinalist. —
这让密莉迪相信修女更像是皇室支持者而不是枢机主义者。 —

Milady therefore continued, coloring her narrations more and more.
因此,密莉迪继续着,讲述的内容越来越多。

“I am very ignorant of these matters,” said the abbess, at length; —
“我对这些事情非常无知,”修女最终说道; —

“but however distant from the court we may be, however remote from the interests of the world we may be placed, we have very sad examples of what you have related. —
“但无论我们离朝廷有多远,离世俗利益有多远,我们还是有很悲伤的例子与您所描述的情况相似。 —

And one of our boarders has suffered much from the vengeance and persecution of the cardinal!”
我们中的一位寄宿生受到了枢机主的复仇和迫害!”

“One of your boarders?” said Milady; “oh, my God! Poor woman! I pity her, then.”
“您的一位寄宿生?”密莉迪说道;”哦,天哪!可怜的女人!我很同情她。”

“And you have reason, for she is much to be pitied. —
“你说得对,她真值得同情。 —

Imprisonment, menaces, ill treatment-she has suffered everything. —
监禁、威胁、虐待-她饱受一切。 —

But after all,” resumed the abbess, “Monsieur Cardinal has perhaps plausible motives for acting thus; —
但毕竟,”修女继续道,”枢机主先生或许有合理的动机来这样做; —

and though she has the look of an angel, we must not always judge people by the appearance.”
尽管她看起来像个天使,我们也不应该总是凭外表来判断人。

“Good!” said Milady to herself; “who knows! —
“太好了!”密莉迪自言自语道;”谁知道! —

I am about, perhaps, to discover something here; I am in the vein.”
也许我就要在这里发现一些东西;我现在有灵感了。”

She tried to give her countenance an appearance of perfect candor.
她试图让自己的面容看起来极其坦率。

“Alas,” said Milady, “I know it is so. It is said that we must not trust to the face; —
“唉,”米莱迪说道,”我知道是这样。有人说我们不应该相信表面; —

but in what, then, shall we place confidence, if not in the most beautiful work of the Lord? —
但那么,我们应该信任什么呢?难道不应该相信上帝最美好的创造吗? —

As for me, I shall be deceived all my life perhaps, but I shall always have faith in a person whose countenance inspires me with sympathy.”
至于我,也许我一生都会被欺骗,但我将永远信任一个让我产生同情之情的人。”

“You would, then, be tempted to believe,” said the abbess, “that this young person is innocent?”
“那么,你会被诱惑相信,”修女说道,”这个年轻人是无辜的吗?

“The cardinal pursues not only crimes,” said she: —
“红衣主教不仅追捕罪行,”她说, —

“there are certain virtues which he pursues more severely than certain offenses.”
“有些美德他比某些罪行更严格地追捕。”

“Permit me, madame, to express my surprise,” said the abbess.
“请允许我,女士,表达我的惊讶,”修女说道。

“At what?” said Milady, with the utmost ingenuousness.
“惊讶于什么?”米莱迪以最纯真的态度说道。

“At the language you use.”
“你所使用的语言。”

“What do you find so astonishing in that language?” said Milady, smiling.
“你觉得那种语言有什么令人惊讶的?”米莱迪笑着说。

“You are the friend of the cardinal, for he sends you hither, and yet–”
“你是红衣主教的朋友,因为他派遣你来这里,但是–”

“And yet I speak ill of him,” replied Milady, finishing the thought of the superior.
“但我却说他的坏话,”米莱迪回答,说完修女的想法。

“At least you don’t speak well of him.”
“至少你没有说他的好话。”

“That is because I am not his friend,” said she, sighing, “but his victim!”
“那是因为我不是他的朋友,”她叹息着说道,”而是他的受害者!”

“But this letter in which he recommends you to me?”
“但是他给我写的这封信推荐你给我是什么意思?”

“Is an order for me to confine myself to a sort of prison, from which he will release me by one of his satellites.”
“这是他命令我禁锢在一种类似监狱的地方,他将通过他的手下来释放我。”

“But why have you not fled?”
“那你为何不逃走?”

“Whither should I go? Do you believe there is a spot on the earth which the cardinal cannot reach if he takes the trouble to stretch forth his hand? —
“我可以逃到哪里?你相信地球上有一个角落是红衣主教伸手未及之处吗?” —

If I were a man, that would barely be possible; but what can a woman do? —
“如果我是个男人,那或许还有点可能;但一个女人又能如何?” —

This young boarder of yours, has she tried to fly?”
“你们这里的年轻住校生,她试过想逃走吗?”

“No, that is true; but she–that is another thing; —
“没有,没错;但她–那又是另一回事;” —

I believe she is detained in France by some love affair.”
“我想她是被一段恋情留在法国。”

“Ah,” said Milady, with a sigh, “if she loves she is not altogether wretched.”
“啊,”密丽饶叹息道,“如果她爱着什么,她也算不算是彻底不幸的。”

“Then,” said the abbess, looking at Milady with increasing interest, “I behold another poor victim?”
“那么,”修女看着密丽饶,兴趣越来越浓,”我看见又是另一个可怜的牺牲品?”

“Alas, yes,” said Milady.
“哦,是的,”密丽饶说。

The abbess looked at her for an instant with uneasiness, as if a fresh thought suggested itself to her mind.
修女不安地看着她,仿佛脑海里有了一个新的想法。

“You are not an enemy of our holy faith?” said she, hesitatingly.
“你不是我们神圣信仰的敌人吧?”她犹豫地说。

“Who–I?” cried Milady; “I a Protestant? Oh, no! —
“谁–我?”密丽饶喊道,“我是个新教徒?哦,不! —

I call to witness the God who hears us, that on the contrary I am a fervent Catholic!”
我以听见我们的上帝为证,相反,我是一个虔诚的天主教徒!”

“Then, madame,” said the abbess, smiling, “be reassured; —
“那么,夫人,”修女微笑着说道,”请放心; —

the house in which you are shall not be a very hard prison, and we will do all in our power to make you cherish your captivity. —
您所在的房子不会是一个非常严苛的监狱,我们会尽一切努力让您珍视您的禁锢。 —

You will find here, moreover, the young woman of whom I spoke, who is persecuted, no doubt, in consequence of some court intrigue. —
并且您会在这里找到我所说的那位年轻女士,她无疑是因为某种宫廷阴谋而受到迫害。 —

She is amiable and well-behaved.”
她很可爱,举止文雅。”

“What is her name?”
“她叫什么名字?”

“She was sent to me by someone of high rank, under the name of Kitty. I have not tried to discover her other name.”
“有人高位者以她的名字把她送到我这里,叫她Kitty。我没有去探究她的其他名字。”

“Kitty!” cried Milady. “What? Are you sure?”
“Kitty!”米莱迪喊道,“什么?你确定?”

“That she is called so? Yes, madame. Do you know her?”
“她被这个名字叫做吗?是的,夫人。你认识她吗?”

Milady smiled to herself at the idea which had occurred to her that this might be her old chambermaid. —
米莱迪对她的老婢女可能是这个姑娘的想法笑了笑。 —

There was connected with the remembrance of this girl a remembrance of anger; —
与这个姑娘的记忆有一个愤怒的回忆联系在一起; —

and a desire of vengeance disordered the features of Milady, which, however, immediately recovered the calm and benevolent expression which this woman of a hundred faces had for a moment allowed them to lose.
并且复仇的愿望扭曲了米莱迪的面容,然而,立刻又恢复了这位百变女子曾一度失去的宁静和仁慈表情。

“And when can I see this young lady, for whom I already feel so great a sympathy?” asked Milady.
“我何时能见到这位年轻女士呢?对她我已经有着如此巨大的同情。”米莱迪问道。

“Why, this evening,” said the abbess; “today even. —
“为什么不是今晚呢,”修女说,“就在今天晚上。 —

But you have been traveling these four days, as you told me yourself. —
但是您已经旅行了四天,正如您自己所告诉我的。 —

This morning you rose at five o’clock; you must stand in need of repose. —
今天早晨您五点钟起床;您一定需要休息。” —

Go to bed and sleep; at dinnertime we will rouse you.”
去睡觉吧;晚餐时我们会叫醒你。

Although Milady would very willingly have gone without sleep, sustained as she was by all the excitements which a new adventure awakened in her heart, ever thirsting for intrigues, she nevertheless accepted the offer of the superior. —
尽管米莱迪本来是很愿意不睡觉的,因为新冒险所引发的兴奋使她对阴谋产生了浓厚兴趣,她仍然接受了上级的建议。 —

During the last fifteen days she had experience so many an such various emotions that if her frame of iron was still capable of supporting fatigue, her mind required repose.
在过去的15天里,她经历了如此多种不同的情感,以至于尽管她身体坚强,仍需要休息。

She therefore took leave of the abbess, and went to bed, softly rocked by the ideas of vengeance which the name of Kitty had naturally brought to her thoughts. —
于是,她向修女告别,上床休息,思路被吉蒂这个名字自然联想到的复仇念念不忘。 —

She remembered that almost unlimited promise which the cardinal had given her if she succeeded in her enterprise. —
她记得红衣主教许诺过她几乎无限的诺言,只要她成功完成这个事业。 —

She had succeeded; D’Artagnan was then in her power!
她成功了;达达尼昂当时正被她控制!

One thing alone frightened her; that was the remembrance of her husband, the Comte de la Fere, whom she had believed dead, or at least expatriated, and whom she found again in Athos-the best friend of D’Artagnan.
有一点唯一让她感到恐惧;那就是她的丈夫,拉费尔伯爵,她原以为他已经死了,或者至少是被放逐,后来她又在阿索斯身上找到了他-达达尼昂最好的朋友。

But alas, if he was the friend of D’Artagnan, he must have lent him his assistance in all the proceedings by whose aid the queen had defeated the project of his Eminence; —
但是,如果他是达达尼昂的朋友,他必定在玛利亚执事失败的行动中协助过她; —

if he was the friend of D’Artagnan, he was the enemy of the cardinal; —
如果他是达达尼昂的朋友,他就是红衣主教的敌人; —

and she doubtless would succeed in involving him in the vengeance by which she hoped to destroy the young Musketeer.
她无疑会成功地把他卷入她希望摧毁这位年轻火枪兵的报复之中。

All these hopes were so many sweet thoughts for Milady; so, rocked by them, she soon fell asleep.
对于米莱迪来说,所有这些希望都是甜蜜的思考;所以,在这些希望的推动下,她很快就睡着了。

She was awakened by a soft voice which sounded at the foot of her bed. —
她被一声柔和的声音唤醒,声音从她床脚传来。 —

She opened her eyes, and saw the abbess, accompanied by a young woman with light hair and delicate complexion, who fixed upon her a look full of benevolent curiosity.
她睁开眼睛,看到修女和一个金发,皮肤白皙的年轻女子,那女子目光中带着一丝仁慈的好奇。

The face of the young woman was entirely unknown to her. —
这位年轻女子的脸对她完全陌生。 —

Each examined the other with great attention, while exchanging the customary compliments; —
彼此互相仔细审视,同时交换着传统的问候。 —

both were very handsome, but of quite different styles of beauty. —
两人都非常英俊,但风格上有很大不同的美丽。 —

Milady, however, smiled in observing that she excelled the young woman by far in her high air and aristocratic bearing. —
不过,米莱迪笑着观察到,她在高贵的举止和贵族气质方面远远胜过这位年轻女子。 —

It is true that the habit of a novice, which the young woman wore, was not very advantageous in a contest of this kind.
年轻女子穿着的初学者服装在这种比较中并不太有利。

The abbess introduced them to each other. —
修女们介绍了她们彼此。 —

When this formality was ended, as her duties called her to chapel, she left the two young women alone.
当这个形式结束时,由于她的职责召唤她去教堂,她留下了两位年轻女子独处。

The novice, seeing Milady in bed, was about the follow the example of the superior; —
初学者看到米莱迪躺在床上,正要效仿修女; —

but Milady stopped her.
但米莱迪拦住了她。

“How, madame,” said she, “I have scarcely seen you, and you already wish to deprive me of your company, upon which I had counted a little, I must confess, for the time I have to pass here?”
“怎么了,夫人,”她说,“我几乎还没有见过你,你就想剥夺我跟你在一起的时间,对于我在这里要度过的时光,我确实有些依赖呢?”

“No, madame,” replied the novice, “only I thought I had chosen my time ill; —
“不,夫人,”初学者回答说,“只是我想自己选错了时间; —

you were asleep, you are fatigued.”
你在睡觉,你很疲劳。”

“Well,” said Milady, “what can those who sleep wish for–a happy awakening? —
“那好,”米莱迪说,“那些睡觉的人希望得到什么—一个快乐的醒来? —

This awakening you have given me; allow me, then, to enjoy it at my ease,” and taking her hand, she drew her toward the armchair by the bedside.
你给了我这种醒来;那就让我尽情享受,”她拉着她的手,将她拉向床边的扶手椅。

The novice sat down.
初学者坐下。

“How unfortunate I am!” said she; “I have been here six months without the shadow of recreation. —
“我多么不幸!”她说,“我在这里已经六个月没有丝毫娱乐了。 —

You arrive, and your presence was likely to afford me delightful company; —
你来了,你的存在很可能让我得到愉快的陪伴; —

yet I expect, in all probability, to quit the convent at any moment.”
然而我预计,很可能随时会离开修道院。

“How, you are going soon?” asked Milady.
“你,你要走了吗?”米莱迪问道。

“At least I hope so,” said the novice, with an expression of joy which she made no effort to disguise.
“至少我希望如此,”新生回答,表情中带着无法掩饰的喜悦。

“I think I learned you had suffered persecutions from the cardinal,” continued Milady; —
“我听说你受过主教的迫害,”米莱迪继续说道; —

“that would have been another motive for sympathy between us.”
“那应该是我们之间同情的另一个动机。”

“What I have heard, then, from our good mother is true; —
“那么我从我们的善母那里听到的是真的; —

you have likewise been a victim of that wicked priest.”
你也是那个邪恶神父的受害者。”

“Hush!” said Milady; “let us not, even here, speak thus of him. —
“嘘!”米莱迪说道;”即使在这里,让我们也不要这样谈论他。 —

All my misfortunes arise from my having said nearly what you have said before a woman whom I thought my friend, and who betrayed me. —
我所有的不幸都源自我曾在一个我以为是我的朋友的女人面前说出几乎与你说过的话,而她背叛了我。 —

Are you also the victim of a treachery?”
你也是受到背叛的受害者吗?”

“No,” said the novice, “but of my devotion–of a devotion to a woman I loved, for whom I would have laid down my life, for whom I would give it still.”
“不,”新生说,”而是因为我的献身–为了一个我爱的女人,为了她我愿意舍身相许,至今仍甘愿如此。”

“And who has abandoned you–is that it?”
“然后她抛弃了你–是这样吗?”

“I have been sufficiently unjust to believe so; —
“我曾经足够不公正地认为是如此; —

but during the last two or three days I have obtained proof to the contrary, for which I thank God–for it would have cost me very dear to think she had forgotten me. —
但在过去两三天里,我找到了相反的证据,为此我感谢上帝–因为认为她忘记了我会让我付出很高昂的代价。 —

But you, madame, you appear to be free,” continued the novice; —
但是您,夫人,您似乎是自由的,”新生继续说道; —

“and if you were inclined to fly it only rests with yourself to do so.”
“如果你有意飞翔,那只取决于你自己是否愿意这样做。”

“Whither would you have me go, without friends, without money, in a part of France with which I am unacquainted, and where I have never been before?”
“你要我去哪里呢,没有朋友,没有钱,在我不熟悉的法国一个我从未去过的地方?”

“Oh,” cried the novice,” as to friends, you would have them wherever you want, you appear so good and are so beautiful!”
“哦,” novice哭了起来,“至于朋友,只要你在哪里,你就会有朋友,你看起来那么善良,又那么美丽!”

“That does not prevent,” replied Milady, softening her smile so as to give it an angelic expression, “my being alone or being persecuted.”
“这并不妨碍,” Milady回答,微笑温和起来,带着一种天使般的表情,“我是孤独的,或者受到迫害。”

“Hear me,” said the novice; “we must trust in heaven. —
“听我说,” novice说道,“我们必须信任上天。 —

There always comes a moment when the good you have done pleads your cause before God; —
在上帝面前,你所做的善事总会为你辩护; —

and see, perhaps it is a happiness for you, humble and powerless as I am, that you have met with me, for if I leave this place, well-I have powerful friends, who, after having exerted themselves on my account, may also exert themselves for you.”
看吧,也许对你来说这是一种幸运,就像我这样卑微而无能的人与你相遇,因为如果我离开这里,好吧-我有强大的朋友,他们在我身上努力过后,也可能为你努力。”

“Oh, when I said I was alone,” said Milady, hoping to make the novice talk by talking of herself, “it is not for want of friends in high places; —
“哦,当我说我一个人时,”米莱迪说,希望通过谈论自己来让新手开口说话,“并不是因为我失去了高层的朋友; —

but these friends themselves tremble before the cardinal. —
但是这些朋友们自己也在主教面前颤抖。 —

The queen herself does not dare to oppose the terrible minister. —
女王自己也不敢反对这位可怕的大臣。 —

I have proof that her Majesty, notwithstanding her excellent heart, has more than once been obliged to abandon to the anger of his Eminence persons who had served her.”
我有证据表明,尽管她的陛下心地善良,但她已经多次被迫将为她服务过的人们交给他的尊神之怒。

“Trust me, madame; the queen may appear to have abandoned those persons, but we must not put faith in appearances. —
“相信我,夫人;女王可能看起来已经抛弃了那些人,但我们不能相信表面。 —

The more they are persecuted, the more she thinks of them; —
他们受到的迫害越多,她就越想念他们; —

and often, when they least expect it, they have proof of a kind remembrance.”
并且经常在他们最不期望的时候,他们得到了一种亲切的记念。”

“Alas!” said Milady, “I believe so; the queen is so good!”
“哎呀!”密莱迪说,“我相信是这样的;女王是如此善良!”

“Oh, you know her, then, that lovely and noble queen, that you speak of her thus!” —
“哦,那么你认识她,那位美丽高贵的女王,你这样谈论她!” —

cried the novice, with enthusiasm.
新手欢呼道。

“That is to say,” replied Milady, driven into her entrenchment, “that I have not the honor of knowing her personally; —
“也就是说,”密莱迪回答,被逼入困境,“我没有荣幸亲自认识她; —

but I know a great number of her most intimate friends. —
但我认识她很多亲密朋友。 —

I am acquainted with Monsieur de Putange; —
我熟识普唐热先生; —

I met Monsieur Dujart in England; I know Monsieur de Treville.”
在英格兰我曾遇见迪贾特先生;我认识特雷维勒先生。”

“Monsieur de Treville!” exclaimed the novice, “do you know Monsieur de Treville?”
“特雷维勒先生!”新手惊呼道,“你认识特雷维勒先生?”

“Yes, perfectly well–intimately even.”
“是的,非常熟悉——甚至亲近。”

“The captain of the king’s Musketeers?”
“国王近卫骑士队的队长?”

“The captain of the king’s Musketeers.”
“国王近卫骑士队的队长。”

“Why, then, only see!” cried the novice; “we shall soon be well acquainted, almost friends. —
“那么,看到吧!”新手喊道,“我们很快就会非常熟悉,几乎是朋友了。 —

If you know Monsieur de Treville, you must have visited him?”
如果你认识特雷维勒先生,你一定去拜访过他?”

“Often!” said Milady, who, having entered this track, and perceiving that falsehood succeeded, was determined to follow it to the end.
“经常!”密莱迪说,一旦进入这条路线,并发现谎言成功,就决心一直坚持下去。

“With him, then, you must have seen some of his Musketeers?”
“那么你一定见过他的一些近卫骑士?”

“All those he is in the habit of receiving!” —
“所有他习惯接待的人!” —

replied Milady, for whom this conversation began to have a real interest.
米莱迪回答道,对于这个对话开始产生了真正的兴趣。

“Name a few of those whom you know, and you will see if they are my friends.”
“说出你认识的一些人,你就会知道他们是否是我的朋友。”

“Well!” said Milady, embarrassed, “ I know Monsieur de Louvigny, Monsieur de Courtivron, Monsieur de Ferussac.”
“好吧!”米莱迪为难地说,“我认识卢维尼先生,库尔蒂弗隆先生,费鲁萨克先生。”

The novice let her speak, then seeing that she paused, she said, “Don’t you know a gentleman named Athos?”
新女修道士任她说,然后看到她停顿,她说,“你不认识一个名叫阿索斯的绅士吗?”

Milady became as pale as the sheets in which she was lying, and mistress as she was of herself, could not help uttering a cry, seizing the hand of the novice, and devouring her with looks.
米莱迪变得惨白如她躺在的床单,作为自己的女主人,她不禁发出一声尖叫,抓住新女修道士的手,用目光吞噬她。

“What is the matter? Good God!” asked the poor woman, “have I said anything that has wounded you?”
“怎么了?天哪!”可怜的女人问道,“我说了什么伤害到你了吗?”

“No; but the name struck me, because I also have known that gentleman, and it appeared strange to me to meet with a person who appears to know him well.”
“没有;但这个名字让我感到震惊,因为我也认识那位绅士,遇见一个似乎很熟悉他的人,让我感到奇怪。”

“Oh, yes, very well; not only him, but some of his friends, Messieurs Porthos and Aramis!”
“哦,是的,很熟悉;不仅认识他,还认识他的一些朋友,波尔托斯先生和阿拉米斯先生!”

“Indeed! you know them likewise? I know them,” cried Milady, who began to feel a chill penetrate her heart.
“是吗!你也认识他们?我认识他们,”米莱迪喊道,开始感到一股寒意袭上心头。

“Well, if you know them, you know that they are good and free companions. —
“好吧,如果你认识他们,你会知道他们是好朋友,慷慨的伙伴。 —

Why do you not apply to them, if you stand in need of help?”
如果你需要帮助,为什么不去找他们呢?”

“That is to say,” stammered Milady, “I am not really very intimate with any of them. —
“也就是说,”米莱迪结结巴巴地说,”我和他们实际上并不很亲密。 —

I know them from having heard one of their friends, Monsieur d’Artagnan, say a great deal about them.”
我知道他们是通过他们的一个朋友,达达尼昂先生,由他大谈特谈过他们而知晓的。”

“You know Monsieur d’Artagnan!” cried the novice, in her turn seizing the hands of Milady and devouring her with her eyes.
“你认识达达尼昂先生!”新女修道士反过来也抓住米莱迪的手,眼巴巴地凝视着她。

Then remarking the strange expression of Milady’s countenance, she said, “Pardon me, madame; —
那么注意到米蕾迪脸上奇怪的表情后,她说:“请原谅,夫人; —

you know him by what title?”
你用什么称呼认识他的?

“Why,” replied Milady, embarrassed, “why, by the title of friend.”
“为什么,”米蕾迪尴尬地回答说,“为什么,称他为朋友。”

“You deceive me, madame,” said the novice; “you have been his mistress!”
“你在骗我,夫人,”新来的修女说,“你曾经是他的情妇!”

“It is you who have been his mistress, madame!” cried Milady, in her turn.
“是你曾经是他的情妇,夫人!”米蕾迪反驳道。

“I?” said the novice.
“我?”新来的修女说。

“Yes, you! I know you now. You are Madame Bonacieux!”
“是的,就是你!我现在认出你了。你是邦娜西埃夫人!”

The young woman drew back, filled with surprise and terror.
年轻女人吓得后退了一步,满脸惊讶和恐惧。

“Oh, do not deny it! Answer!” continued Milady.
“噢,不要否认!回答!”米蕾迪继续说。

“Well, yes, madame,” said the novice, “Are we rivals?”
“好吧,是的,夫人,”新来的修女说,“我们是对手吗?”

The countenance of Milady was illumined by so savage a joy that under any other circumstances Mme. Bonacieux would have fled in terror; —
米蕾迪的脸上闪烁着如此凶恶的快乐,以至于在其他情况下,邦娜西埃夫人可能会吓得逃走; —

but she was absorbed by jealousy.
但她被嫉妒所吞噬。

“Speak, madame!” resumed Mme. Bonacieux, with an energy of which she might not have been believed capable. —
“说吧,夫人!”邦娜西埃夫人以一种可能让人难以置信的激动之情继续说。 —

“Have you been, or are you, his mistress?”
“你曾经是,还是现在是,他的情妇吗?”

“Oh, no!” cried Milady, with an accent that admitted no doubt of her truth. “Never, never!”
“哦,不,”米蕾迪大声喊道,语气中透露出她绝对诚实的意思。“从来没有,绝对没有!”

“I believe you,” said Mme. Bonacieux; “but why, then, did you cry out so?”
“我相信你。”波纳修夫人说道,“但是为什么你刚才会喊出来呢?”

“Do you not understand?” said Milady, who had already overcome her agitation and recovered all her presence of mind.
“你难道不明白?”米莱迪,已经平复了情绪,恢复了镇定。

“How can I understand? I know nothing.”
“我怎么能明白呢?我一无所知。”

“Can you not understand that Monsieur d’Artagnan, being my friend, might take me into his confidence?”
“难道你不明白达达尼昂先生,作为我的朋友,可能会信任我吗?”

“Truly?”
“真的?”

“Do you not perceive that I know all–your abduction from the little house at St. Germain, his despair, that of his friends, and their useless inquiries up to this moment? —
“你不明白吗?我知道一切——你被绑架离开圣日耳曼小屋那件事,他的绝望,他的朋友们的绝望,以及他们到此刻仍然无功而返的探寻。” —

How could I help being astonished when, without having the least expectation of such a thing, I meet you face to face–you, of whom we have so often spoken together, you whom he loves with all his soul, you whom he had taught me to love before I had seen you! —
“我怎么可能不惊讶?毫无预料之下,我与你正面相遇——我们经常一起谈论的你,他全心爱着的你,在我见到你之前他就教会我爱上你的你! —

Ah, dear Constance, I have found you, then; —
啊,亲爱的康斯坦斯,我找到你了; —

I see you at last!”
终于看见你了!”

And Milady stretched out her arms to Mme. Bonacieux, who, convinced by what she had just said, saw nothing in this woman whom an instant before she had believed her rival but a sincere and devoted friend.
米莱迪伸出双臂,波纳修夫人,被她刚才所说的说服,看到自己的竞争对手不过是一个真诚忠诚的朋友。

“Oh, pardon me, pardon me!” cried she, sinking upon the shoulders of Milady. —
“哦,原谅我,原谅我!”她哭泣着,倚在米莱迪的肩膀上。 —

“Pardon me, I love him so much!”
“原谅我,我是如此地爱他!”

These two women held each other for an instant in a close embrace. —
这两位女人紧紧拥抱在一起片刻。 —

Certainly, if Milady’s strength had been equal to her hatred, Mme. Bonacieux would never have left that embrace alive. —
当然,如果米莱迪的力量和她的仇恨一样强大,那么波纳修夫人将永远无法从这个拥抱中活着离开。 —

But not being able to stifle her, she smiled upon her.
但无法压制她,她微笑着看着她。

“Oh, you beautiful, good little creature!” said Milady. “How delighted I am to have found you! —
“哦,你这个美丽而善良的小生物!”米莱迪说道,“我多么高兴找到了你! —

Let me look at you!” and while saying these words, she absolutely devoured her by her looks. —
让我好好看看你!”说着,她几乎是用目光把她吞噬了。 —

“Oh, yes it is you indeed! From what he has told me, I know you now. —
“哦,是的,你就是!从他口中所说的,我现在认识你了。 —

I recognize you perfectly.”
我完全认出你来了。”

The poor young woman could not possibly suspect what frightful cruelty was behind the rampart of that pure brow, behind those brilliant eyes in which she read nothing but interest and compassion.
这位可怜的年轻女子绝对想象不到那纯净眉间背后的可怕残忍,不明白那双明亮的眼睛里除了充满兴趣和同情之外还隐藏着什么。

“Then you know what I have suffered,” said Mme. Bonacieux, “since he has told you what he has suffered; —
“那么你知道我受了多大痛苦,”波纳西厄夫人说,“因为他告诉你他受了多大痛苦; —

but to suffer for him is happiness.
但为了他而受苦就是幸福。

Milady replied mechanically, “Yes, that is happiness.” She was thinking of something else.
米莱迪机械地回答,“是的,那就是幸福。”她正在考虑其他事情。

“And then,” continued Mme. Bonacieux, “my punishment is drawing to a close. —
“然后,”波纳西厄夫人继续说,“我的惩罚快要结束了。 —

Tomorrow, this evening, perhaps, I shall see him again; —
明天,今晚,也许,我会再次见到他; —

and then the past will no longer exist.”
那时过去就不再存在了。”

“This evening?” asked Milady, roused from her reverie by these words. —
“今晚?”米莱迪被这番话打破了沉思。 —

“What do you mean? Do you expect news from him?”
“你是什么意思?你期待他的消息?”

“I expect himself.”
“我期待他本人。”

“Himself? D’Artagnan here?”
“本人?达达尼安在这里?”

“Himself!”
“他自己!”

“But that’s impossible! He is at the siege of La Rochelle with the cardinal. —
“但那是不可能的!他和枢机主教在洛歇尔的围城中。 —

He will not return till after the taking of the city.”
他要等到城市被攻下后才回来。”

“Ah, you fancy so! But is there anything impossible for my D’Artagnan, the noble and loyal gentleman?”
“啊,你以为是这样!但对于我的达达尼昂,这位高贵和忠诚的绅士,有什么是不可能的呢?”

“Oh, I cannot believe you!”
“哦,我无法相信!”

“Well, read, then!” said the unhappy young woman, in the excess of her pride and joy, presenting a letter to Milady.
“那么,看看这个吧!”不幸的年轻女人,满怀骄傲和喜悦地把一封信递给米莱迪。

“The writing of Madame de Chevreuse!” said Milady to herself. —
“谢维莱夫人的笔迹!”米莱迪自言自语道。 —

“Ah, I always thought there was some secret understanding in that quarter!” —
“啊,我始终觉得在那个角落里有一些秘密的默契!” —

And she greedily read the following few lines:
她贪婪地阅读下面的几行:

My Dear Child, Hold yourself ready. OUR FRIEND will see you soon, and he will only see you to release you from that imprisonment in which your safety required you should be concealed. —
我亲爱的孩子,准备好自己。我们的朋友很快会见你,他只会见你为了解救你,让你从那个监禁中解脱出来,而你的安全是需要隐匿的。 —

Prepare, then, for your departure, and never despair of us.
那么为你的离开做准备,永远不要绝望。

Our charming Gascon has just proved himself as brave and faithful as ever. —
我们迷人的加斯科尼刚刚证明了他一如既往的勇敢和忠诚。 —

Tell him that certain parties are grateful for the warning he has given.
告诉他,某些人对他提供的警告心存感激。

“Yes, yes,” said Milady; “the letter is precise. Do you know what that warning was?”
“是的,是的,”米莱迪说;”这封信很明确。你知道这个警告是什么吗?”

“No, I only suspect he has warned the queen against some fresh machinations of the cardinal.”
“不,我只是怀疑他已经警告皇后不要再被红衣主教的某些新的阴谋所蒙蔽了。”

“Yes, that’s it, no doubt!” said Milady, returning the letter to Mme. Bonacieux, and letting her head sink pensively upon her bosom.
“是的,没错!”米莱迪把信还给了波纳谢夫人,沉思地低下头。

At that moment they heard the gallop of a horse.
这时他们听到了马蹄的奔跑声。

“Oh!” cried Mme. Bonacieux, darting to the window, “can it be he?”
“哦!”波纳谢夫人大声道,冲到窗前,“难道是他吗?”

Milady remained still in bed, petrified by surprise; —
米莱迪仍然呆在床上,惊讶得像石化了一样; —

so many unexpected things happened to her all at once that for the first time she was at a loss.
她一下子遇到了这么多意想不到的事情,第一次感到迷茫。

“He, he!” murmured she; “can it be he?” And she remained in bed with her eyes fixed.
“他,他!”她低声说,“难道是他吗?”她的目光停留在床上。

“Alas, no!” said Mme. Bonacieux; “it is a man I don’t know, although he seems to be coming here. —
“唉,不是!”波纳谢夫人说,“是个我不认识的男人,尽管他似乎要来这里。 —

Yes, he checks his pace; he stops at the gate; he rings.”
是的,他放慢了步伐;他停在门口;他按铃了。”

Milady sprang out of bed.
米莱迪跳下床。

“You are sure it is not he?” said she.
“你确定不是他吗?”她问。

“Yes, yes, very sure!”
“是的,是的,非常确定!”

“Perhaps you did not see well.”
“也许你没有看清楚。”

“Oh, if I were to see the plume of his hat, the end of his cloak, I should know HIM!”
“哦,如果我看到他帽子上的羽毛,他披风的一角,我就会认出他来!”

Milady was dressing herself all the time.
米莱迪一边穿衣服,一边说。

“Yes, he has entered.”
“是的,他已经进来了。”

“It is for you or me!”
“这是为你还是为我!”

“My God, how agitated you seem!”
“我的上帝,你看起来多么焦躁!”

“Yes, I admit it. I have not your confidence; I fear the cardinal.”
“是的,我承认。我没有你的信心;我害怕红衣主教。”

“Hush!” said Mme. Bonacieux; “somebody is coming.”
“嘘!”波纳谢夫夫人说道;”有人来了。”

Immediately the door opened, and the superior entered.
门立刻打开,主母进来了。

“Did you come from Boulogne?” demanded she of Milady.
“你是从布洛润来的吗?”她问着米莱迪。

“Yes,” replied she, trying to recover her self-possession. “Who wants me?”
“是的,”她回答,试图恢复镇定。“谁找我?”

“A man who will not tell his name, but who comes from the cardinal.”
“一个不愿透露姓名,但来自红衣主教的人。”

“And who wishes to speak with me?”
“想和我说话?”

“Who wishes to speak to a lady recently come from Boulogne.”
“想和最近从布洛润来的女士交谈。”

“Then let him come in, if you please.”
“那就请让他进来吧,如果你愿意。”

“Oh, my God, my God!” cried Mme. Bonacieux. “Can it be bad news?”
“哦,我的上帝,我的上帝!”波纳谢夫夫人喊道。“会不会是坏消息?”

“I fear it.”
“我担心是的。”

“I will leave you with this stranger; but as soon as he is gone, if you will permit me, I will return.”
“我会把你留给这个陌生人;但是一旦他离开,如果你允许,我会回来的。”

“PERMIT you? I BESEECH you.”
“允许你吗?我恳求你。”

The superior and Mme. Bonacieux retired.
上级和邦纳谢夫人退了下去。

Milady remained alone, with her eyes fixed upon the door. —
米莱迪独自一人,眼睛盯着门。 —

An instant later, the jingling of spurs was heard upon the stairs, steps drew near, the door opened, and a man appeared.
一会儿,铁刺叮当作响,楼梯上传来脚步声,门打开了,一个男人出现了。

Milady uttered a cry of joy; this man was the Comte de Rochefort–the demoniacal tool of his Eminence.
米莱迪发出了一声喜悦的呼喊;这个男人是罗切福伯爵——他阁下邪恶的工具。