THE WIFE OF ATHOS
阿索斯的妻子

“We have now to search for Athos,” said D’Artagnan to the vivacious Aramis, when he had informed him of all that had passed since their departure from the capital, and an excellent dinner had made one of them forget his thesis and the other his fatigue.
“我们现在要寻找阿索斯了,”达达尼安对充满活力的阿拉米斯说道,当他告诉他自从他们离开首都以来所发生的一切,一顿美味的晚餐让其中一个忘记了他的论文,另一个忘记了他的疲劳。

“Do you think, then, that any harm can have happened to him?” asked Aramis. —
“你认为,他会有什么不测之祸吗?”阿拉米斯问道。 —

“Athos is so cool, so brave, and handles his sword so skillfully.”
“阿索斯是如此冷静、如此勇敢,并且剑术娴熟。

“No doubt. Nobody has a higher opinion of the courage and skill of Athos than I have; —
“毫无疑问。没有人比我更看得起阿索斯的勇气和技艺; —

but I like better to hear my sword clang against lances than against staves. —
但我更喜欢听到我的剑与长矛相碰,而不是与棍棒相撞。 —

I fear lest Athos should have been beaten down by serving men. —
我担心阿索斯可能被仆人打倒。 —

Those fellows strike hard, and don’t leave off in a hurry. —
那些家伙打得很狠,而且不轻易罢手。 —

This is why I wish to set out again as soon as possible.”
这就是为什么我希望尽快再次出发。

“I will try to accompany you,” said Aramis, “though I scarcely feel in a condition to mount on horseback. —
“我会试着和你一起出发,”阿拉米斯说道,”尽管我几乎感觉不适于骑马。 —

Yesterday I undertook to employ that cord which you see hanging against the wall, but pain prevented my continuing the pious exercise.”
昨天我试图使用你看到挂在墙上的绳子,但疼痛阻止了我继续这项虔诚的锻炼。

“That’s the first time I ever heard of anybody trying to cure gunshot wounds with cat-o’-nine-tails; —
“这是我第一次听说有人试图用九尾猫来治愈枪伤; —

but you were ill, and illness renders the head weak, therefore you may be excused.”
但你生病了,疾病使头脑虚弱,所以你可以原谅。

“When do you mean to set out?”
“你打算什么时候出发?

“Tomorrow at daybreak. Sleep as soundly as you can tonight, and tomorrow, if you can, we will take our departure together.”
“明天天一亮就出发。今晚尽可能睡个安稳觉,明天如果可以的话,我们将一起启程。”

“Till tomorrow, then,” said Aramis; “for iron-nerved as you are, you must need repose.”
“那么明天见吧,”阿拉米斯说,“就算你铁石心肠,也需要休息。”

The next morning, when D’Artagnan entered Aramis’s chamber, he found him at the window.
第二天早上,当达达尼安进入阿拉米斯的房间时,发现他站在窗前。

“What are you looking at?” asked D’Artagnan.
“你在看什么?”达达尼安问道。

“My faith! I am admiring three magnificent horses which the stable boys are leading about. —
“天啊! 我在欣赏三匹美丽的马,稳定的男孩正在牵着它们。 —

It would be a pleasure worthy of a prince to travel upon such horses.”
骑着这样的马旅行是一位王子配享受的快乐。”

“Well, my dear Aramis, you may enjoy that pleasure, for one of those three horses is yours.”
“那么,我亲爱的阿拉米斯,你可以享受那种快乐,因为这三匹马中的一匹是你的。”

“Ah, bah! Which?”
“啊,哪一匹?”

“Whichever of the three you like, I have no preference.”
“无论你喜欢其中哪一匹,我都没有偏好。”

“And the rich caparison, is that mine, too?”
“那豪华的鞍具也是我的吗?”

“Without doubt.”
“毫无疑问。”

“You laugh, D’Artagnan.”
“你在笑,达达尼安。”

“No, I have left off laughing, now that you speak French.”
“不,现在你说起法语我就不笑了。”

“What, those rich holsters, that velvet housing, that saddle studded with silver-are they all for me?”
“那豪华的枪套,那绒面鞍具,那镶有银子的马鞍,都是属于我吗?”

“For you and nobody else, as the horse which paws the ground is mine, and the other horse, which is caracoling, belongs to Athos.”
“全部都是为你准备的,还有那匹搅动着地面的马是我的,而那匹翩翩起舞的马则属于阿多斯。”

“PESTE! They are three superb animals!”
“天啊!它们三匹都是绝美的动物!”

“I am glad they please you.”
“我很高兴它们让您满意。”

“Why, it must have been the king who made you such a present.”
“嗯,一定是国王送给您的。”

“Certainly it was not the cardinal; but don’t trouble yourself whence they come, think only that one of the three is your property.”
“肯定不是红衣主教;但不要为它们的来源而烦恼,只要想到其中一匹是您的财产。”

“I choose that which the red-headed boy is leading.”
“我选择红头发男孩牵着的那匹。”

“It is yours!”
“那是您的了!”

“Good heaven! That is enough to drive away all my pains; —
“天啊!这足以驱散我所有的痛苦;” —

I could mount him with thirty balls in my body. —
“我的灵魂,漂亮的马镫啊!喂,巴津,马上过来。” —

On my soul, handsome stirrups! HOLA, Bazin, come here this minute.”
巴津显得若有所思、呆呆的站在门槛上。

Bazin appeared on the threshold, dull and spiritless.
“最后那个命令无用,”达达尼安打断道,“你的马鞍囊里有装弹的手枪。”

“That last order is useless,” interrupted D’Artagnan; “there are loaded pistols in your holsters.”
巴津叹了口气。

Bazin sighed.
“来吧,巴津先生,放宽心吧,”达达尼安说;

“Come, Monsieur Bazin, make yourself easy,” said D’Artagnan; —
“各种身份的人都可以得到天国。” —

“people of all conditions gain the kingdom of heaven.”
“先生本来就是位优秀的神学家,”几近哭泣的巴津说;

“Monsieur was already such a good theologian,” said Bazin, almost weeping; —
“他本来可能成为主教,甚至枢机主教。” —

“he might have become a bishop, and perhaps a cardinal.”
“我很高兴他们让您满意。”

“Well, but my poor Bazin, reflect a little. Of what use is it to be a churchman, pray? —
“嗯,但是,我可怜的巴津,好好思考一下吧。做教士有什么用处呢?” —

You do not avoid going to war by that means; —
“这并不是避免参战的办法;” —

you see, the cardinal is about to make the next campaign, helm on head and partisan in hand. —
“你看,枢机主教正在准备下一次的战役,头戴头盔,手持武器。” —

And Monsieur de Nogaret de la Valette, what do you say of him? —
“那么,诺加雷特·德·拉瓦莱特先生,你对他有何看法?” —

He is a cardinal likewise. Ask his lackey how often he has had to prepare lint of him.”
“他也是枢机主教。问问他的男仆,他得多少次得为他准备纱布。”

“Alas!” sighed Bazin. “I know it, monsieur; everything is turned topsy-turvy in the world nowadays.”
“唉!”巴津叹息道。“我知道,先生;如今世道已经变得一团糟。”

While this dialogue was going on, the two young men and the poor lackey descended.
“在这段对话进行之时,两位年轻人和可怜的男仆已经下去了。”

“Hold my stirrup, Bazin,” cried Aramis; and Aramis sprang into the saddle with his usual grace and agility, but after a few vaults and curvets of the noble animal his rider felt his pains come on so insupportably that he turned pale and became unsteady in his seat. —
“握住我的马镫,巴津,”阿拉米斯喊道。他像往常一样优雅而敏捷地跃上马背,但在骑着这匹高贵的坐骑做了几个飞跃后,他开始感觉到不可忍受的疼痛,脸色变得苍白,在马鞍上摇摇晃晃。 —

D’Artagnan, who, foreseeing such an event, had kept his eye on him, sprang toward him, caught him in his arms, and assisted him to his chamber.
“达达尼昂,预见到这种情况的他一直注视着他,飞奔向他,把他扶起,帮他走进了房间。”

“That’s all right, my dear Aramis, take care of yourself,” said he; —
“没事,我亲爱的阿拉米斯,好好照顾自己,”他说; —

“I will go alone in search of Athos.”
“我一个人去找阿索斯。”

“You are a man of brass,” replied Aramis.
“你真是铁人,”阿拉米斯回答道。

“No, I have good luck, that is all. But how do you mean to pass your time till I come back? —
“不,我只是运气好,仅此而已。那你要怎么打发时间等我回来呢? —

No more theses, no more glosses upon the fingers or upon benedictions, hey?”
不再论文,也不再解释圣言或祝福了,对吧?”

Aramis smiled. “I will make verses,” said he.
阿拉米斯微笑道。“我将写诗,”他说。

“Yes, I dare say; verses perfumed with the odor of the billet from the attendant of Madame de Chevreuse. —
“是的,我敢说;诗句仿佛带着马鞍夫人随从的气味。 —

Teach Bazin prosody; that will console him. —
教巴津韵律吧;那会安慰他的。 —

As to the horse, ride him a little every day, and that will accustom you to his maneuvers.”
至于马,每天骑一会儿,你会逐渐适应他的动作。”

“Oh, make yourself easy on that head,” replied Aramis. “You will find me ready to follow you.”
“哦,放心吧,”阿拉米斯回答说。“你会发现我随时准备跟随你。”

They took leave of each other, and in ten minutes, after having commended his friend to the cares of the hostess and Bazin, D’Artagnan was trotting along in the direction of Ameins.
他们告别了,十分钟后,将朋友托付给主人太太和巴津后,达达尼安就朝亚眠的方向小跑着走了。

How was he going to find Athos? Should he find him at all? —
他如何才能找到阿多斯?他是否能找到他? —

The position in which he had left him was critical. He probably had succumbed. —
他离开他时的情况十分危急。他可能已经失败了。 —

This idea, while darkening his brow, drew several sighs from him, and caused him to formulate to himself a few vows of vengeance. —
这个念头让他皱起了眉头,从他口中脱口而出了几声叹息,并让他对报复发誓。 —

Of all his friends, Athos was the eldest, and the least resembling him in appearance, in his tastes and sympathies.
在他的所有朋友中,阿多斯是年长者,与他在外表、兴趣和情感上最不相似。

Yet he entertained a marked preference for this gentleman. —
然而他对这个绅士却有着明显的偏爱。 —

The noble and distinguished air of Athos, those flashes of greatness which from time to time broke out from the shade in which he voluntarily kept himself, that unalterable equality of temper which made him the most pleasant companion in the world, that forced and cynical gaiety, that bravery which might have been termed blind if it had not been the result of the rarest coolness-such qualities attracted more than the esteem, more than the friendship of D’Artagnan; —
阿多斯那高贵而独特的气质,时而从他自愿保持的阴影中散发出的伟大光芒,那种他时常表现出来的不变的平和,在他志愿地保持的阴郁中出现的令人愉悦的快乐,那种也许可称为盲目的勇敢如果不是源自极其冷静的少见的气度-这些特质,不仅吸引了达尔塔尼安的尊敬,不仅吸引了他的友谊; —

they attracted his admiration.
它们吸引了他的崇拜。

Indeed, when placed beside M. de Treville, the elegant and noble courtier, Athos in his most cheerful days might advantageously sustain a comparison. —
实际上,在与特雷维尔勋爵这位优雅高尚的宫廷绅士相比时,即使在他最愉快的时光里,阿多斯也有着优势。 —

He was of middle height; but his person was so admirably shaped and so well proportioned that more than once in his struggles with Porthos he had overcome the giant whose physical strength was proverbial among the Musketeers. —
他中等身高;但他的体型却如此完美、比例如此协调,以至于在与波尔多斯的搏斗中,他曾不止一次战胜这位身强力壮、在麻坛士兵中享有盛名的巨人。 —

His head, with piercing eyes, a straight nose, a chim cut like that of Brutus, had altogether an indefinable character of grandeur and grace. —
他的头部,有着一双锐利的眼睛,一只笔直的鼻子,像布鲁图斯的那样剪裁整洁,总体上带有一种难以定义的宏伟和优雅的特点。” —

His hands, of which he took little care, were the despair of Aramis, who cultivated his with almond paste and perfumed oil. —
他的手,他对它们不怎么在意,令阿拉密斯感到绝望,而阿拉密斯用杏仁膏和香水油来精心呵护自己的手。 —

The sound of his voice was at once penetrating and melodious; —
他的声音声音一经响起,就是一种穿透而又悦耳的声音; —

and then, that which was inconceivable in Athos, who was always retiring, was that delicate knowledge of the world and of the usages of the most brilliant society-those manners of a high degree which appeared, as if unconsciously to himself, in his least actions.
令人难以置信的是,总是不喜出风头的阿索斯竟然对世界和最璀璨社交规则有着那种细腻的了解——高尚礼仪传承在他的一举一动之中,仿佛甚至自己都不自觉。

If a repast were on foot, Athos presided over it better than any other, placing every guest exactly in the rank which his ancestors had earned for him or that he had made for himself. —
若是有宴席在进行,阿索斯会比任何人都更好地主持,将每一位宾客都准确地安排在他祖先赢得的或自己获得的地位之中。 —

If a question in heraldry were started, Athos knew all the noble families of the kingdom, their genealogy, their alliances, their coats of arms, and the origin of them. —
若是有关于纹章学的问题被提起,阿索斯对王国中的所有贵族家族都了如指掌,他们的家谱,他们的结亲,他们的纹章及其起源。 —

Etiquette had no minutiae unknown to him. He knew what were the rights of the great land owners. —
礼仪对他来说也并不陌生。他清楚伟大领主的权利。 —

He was profoundly versed in hunting and falconry, and had one day when conversing on this great art astonished even Louis XIII himself, who took a pride in being considered a past master therein.
他对狩猎和鹰狩有深厚的造诣,有一次在这方面的谈论中甚至是惊艳了就连自己也以此自傲的路易十三。

Like all the great nobles of that period, Athos rode and fenced to perfection. —
与那个时代所有伟大的贵族一样,阿索斯骑术和剑术都是出类拔萃的。 —

But still further, his education had been so little neglected, even with respect to scholastic studies, so rare at this time among gentlemen, that he smiled at the scraps of Latin which Aramis sported and which Porthos pretended to understand. —
但更进一步,他的教育很少被忽视,即使是关于学校的研究,在那个时候在绅士中是很少见的,他常常笑着看着阿拉密斯拿出的拉丁语断句,阿拉密斯假装能理解的样子。 —

Two or three times, even, to the great astonishment of his friends, he had, when Aramis allowed some rudimental error to escape him, replaced a verb in its right tense and a noun in its case. —
甚至两三次,令他的朋友十分惊讶的是,当阿拉密斯口误时,他居然将一个动词在正确的时态中加入,并把一个名词转换成正确的格。 —

Besides, his probity was irreproachable, in an age in which soldiers compromised so easily with their religion and their consciences, lovers with the rigorous delicacy of our era, and the poor with God’s Seventh Commandment. —
此外,他的正直无可指摘,在这个士兵们和他们的宗教、爱人们以及贫穷人都轻易牺牲他们的良心的时代,是无可挑剔的。 —

This Athos, then, was a very extraordinary man.
这位阿索斯,是个非常不平凡的人。

And yet this nature so distinguished, this creature so beautiful, this essence so fine, was seen to turn insensibly toward material like, as old men turn toward physical and moral imbecility. —
然而,这个如此杰出的天性,这个如此美丽的存在,这个如此精致的本质,却不知不觉地转向了物质受欢迎的那一面,如同老人转向肉体和道德的愚昧。 —

Athos, in his hours of gloom-and these hours were frequent-was extinguished as to the whole of the luminous portion of him, and his brilliant side disappeared as into profound darkness.
在他忧郁的时刻——这些时刻是频繁的——他就像整个光明的一部分熄灭了一样,他辉煌的一面消失在深深的黑暗中。

Then the demigod vanished; he remained scarcely a man. —
那时,这个半神消失了;他几乎不复存在。 —

His head hanging down, his eye dull, his speech slow and painful, Athos would look for hours together at his bottle, his glass, or at Grimaud, who, accustomed to obey him by signs, read in the faint glance of his master his least desire, and satisfied it immediately. —
他的头低垂着,眼神黯淡,言语迟缓而痛苦,他会长时间盯着他的酒瓶、酒杯,或者看着格里莫,后者已经习惯于通过他主人微弱的眼神来了解他最微小的愿望,并立刻满足。 —

If the four friends were assembled at one of these moments, a word, thrown forth occasionally with a violent effort, was the share Athos furnished to the conversation. —
如果四位朋友在这些时刻聚在一起,那么关于话题,阿多斯偶尔会勉强说上一句话。 —

In exchange for his silence Athos drank enough for four, and without appearing to be otherwise affected by wine than by a more marked constriction of the brow and by a deeper sadness.
阿多斯喝得足够四个人,但却并没有显得醉醺醺,除了额头皱得更紧、更深的忧伤外,并未显现出喝酒的影响。

D’Artagnan, whose inquiring disposition we are acquainted with, had not-whatever interest he had in satisfying his curiosity on this subject-been able to assign any cause for these fits of for the periods of their recurrence. —
达达尼昂既好奇又富有探求精神,但无论他对这个主题有多么浓厚的兴趣,都没能找到这些发作的原因以及它们再现的周期。 —

Athos never received any letters; Athos never had concerns which all his friends did not know.
阿多斯从未收到任何来信;阿多斯从未有过他所有朋友不知晓的事。

It could not be said that it was wine which produced this sadness; —
不能说是酒让他心情低落; —

for in truth he only drank to combat this sadness, which wine however, as we have said, rendered still darker. —
实际上,他只是喝酒来与这些忧伤做斗争,然而正如前文所说,酒让这些忧伤变得更显得更黑暗。 —

This excess of bilious humor could not be attributed to play; —
这种过剩的胆汁情绪不能归咎于赌博; —

for unlike Porthos, who accompanied the variations of chance with songs or oaths, Athos when he won remained as unmoved as when he lost. —
因为与波尔多斯不同,波尔多斯在赌博时会伴随着歌声或咒骂,而阿多斯赢了的时候就像输了一样,保持着一副平静不动的样子。 —

He had been known, in the circle of the Musketeers, to win in one night three thousand pistoles; —
在麒麟侍卫队的圈子里,有人知道他一晚就赢了三千个皮斯托尔; —

to lose them even to the gold-embroidered belt for gala days, win all this again with the addition of a hundred louis, without his beautiful eyebrow being heightened or lowered half a line, without his hands losing their pearly hue, without his conversation, which was cheerful that evening, ceasing to be calm and agreeable.
甚至输掉了所有的钱,包括为节日准备的金线镶嵌腰带,然后再加上一百路易斯回本,他都不会动一下漂亮的眉毛,双手也不会失去珍珠般的光泽,他那天晚上快乐的谈话也不会停止,仍然保持冷静愉快。

Neither was it, as with our neighbors, the English, an atmospheric influence which darkened his countenance; —
这也不是像我们的邻居英国人那样的大气影响使他的脸色阴郁; —

for the sadness generally became more intense toward the fine season of the year. —
因为悲伤通常在一年中的优美季节变得更加强烈。 —

June and July were the terrible months with Athos.
对于阿多斯来说,六月和七月是可怕的月份。

For the present he had no anxiety. He shrugged his shoulders when people spoke of the feature. —
目前他并没有焦虑。每当人们谈起这个特征时,他只是耸耸肩。 —

His secret, then, was in the past, as had often been vaguely said to D’Artagnan.
他的秘密,那么,就在过去,就像常常含糊地对达达尼安说过的那样。

This mysterious shade, spread over his whole person, rendered still more interesting the man whose eyes or mouth, even in the most complete intoxication, had never revealed anything, however skillfully questions had been put to him.
这种神秘的阴影笼罩在他的整个人身上,使这位男子更加有趣,即使在最完全的醉酒状态下,他的眼睛或嘴巴也从未透露出任何事情,无论问题被多么巧妙地提出。

“Well,” thought D’Artagnan, “poor Athos is perhaps at this moment dead, and dead by my fault-for it was I who dragged him into this affair, of which he did not know the origin, of which he is ignorant of the result, and from which he can derive no advantage.”
“好吧,”达达尼安想道, “可怜的阿多斯也许此刻已经死了,而且是死在我所导致的——因为是我把他拖入了这场他不知道起因,对结果一无所知,也无法从中获益的事务中。”

“Without reckoning, monsieur,” added Planchet to his master’s audibly expressed reflections, “that we perhaps owe our lives to him. —
“还有,先生,”普朗谢对他主人可以听到的反思补充说, “也许我们欠他一命。 —

Do you remember how he cried, ‘On, D’Artagnan, on, I am taken’? —
你还记得他是如何喊着, ‘往前冲,达达尼安,我被抓住了’的吗? —

And when he had discharged his two pistols, what a terrible noise he made with his sword! —
当他放响了他的两支手枪后,他用剑发出多么可怕的声响! —

One might have said that twenty men, or rather twenty mad devils, were fighting.”
人可能会说有二十个人,或者说有二十个疯狂的恶魔在战斗。”

These words redoubled the eagerness of D’Artagnan, who urged his horse, though he stood in need of no incitement, and they proceeded at a rapid pace. —
这番话激发了达达尼安的热情,尽管他并不需要任何激励,他们以飞驰的速度前行。 —

About eleven o’clock in the morning they perceived Ameins, and at half past eleven they were at the door of the cursed inn.
大约早上十一点他们看见了阿讷,十一点半时他们来到了那家该死的客栈门口。

D’Artagnan had often meditated against the perfidious host one of those hearty vengeances which offer consolation while they are hoped for. —
达达尼安经常在心里准备对那个奸诈的店主进行一场充满诚意的报复,这种报复在希望时提供了慰藉。 —

He entered the hostelry with his hat pulled over his eyes, his left hand on the pommel of the sword, and cracking his whip with his right hand.
他戴着帽子拉到眼睛,左手放在剑柄上,右手挥动鞭子,走进了客栈。

“Do you remember me?” said he to the host, who advanced to greet him.
“你记得我吗?”他对前来迎接他的店主说。

“I have not that honor, monseigneur,” replied the latter, his eyes dazzled by the brilliant style in which D’Artagnan traveled.
“我没有这样的荣幸,阁下,”后者回答道,被达达尼安的华丽风格所眩目。

“What, you don’t know me?”
“什么,你不认识我吗?”

“No, monseigneur.”
“不,阁下。”

“Well, two words will refresh your memory. —
“嗯,两个词会让你回忆起来。 —

What have you done with that gentleman against whom you had the audacity, about twelve days ago, to make an accusation of passing false money?”
“你对那位绅士做了什么,你竟在大约十二天前毫不畏惧地指控他造假币?”

The host became as pale as death; for D’Artagnan had assumed a threatening attitude, and Planchet modeled himself after his master.
酒店老板变得苍白如死人;因为达达尼昂摆出了威胁的姿态,普朗谢模仿着他的主人。

“Ah, monseigneur, do not mention it!” cried the host, in the most pitiable voice imaginable. —
“啊,大人,不要提起这件事!”酒店老板用一种可怜至极的声音喊道。 —

“Ah, monseigneur, how dearly have I paid for that fault, unhappy wretch as I am!”
“啊,大人,我为那个错误付出了多么昂贵的代价,作为一个不幸的可怜虫!”

“That gentleman, I say, what has become of him?”
“那位绅士,我说,他变成了什么样子?”

“Deign to listen to me, monseigneur, and be merciful! Sit down, in mercy!”
“请恩准听我说,大人,请发发慈悲!请坐下,出于怜悯!”

D’Artagnan, mute with anger and anxiety, took a seat in the threatening attitude of a judge. —
达达尼昂因愤怒和焦虑而沉默,用一种威胁的法官姿态坐下。 —

Planchet glared fiercely over the back of his armchair.
普朗谢用凶猛的眼神盯着扶手椅的背面。

“Here is the story, monseigneur,” resumed the trembling host; “for I now recollect you. —
“这就是故事,大人,请允许我回忆起你来了。 —

It was you who rode off at the moment I had that unfortunate difference with the gentleman you speak of.”
正是你,在我与你所说的绅士发生那不幸争执的时刻骑马离开了。”

“Yes, it was I; so you may plainly perceive that you have no mercy to expect of you do not tell me the whole truth.”
“是的,是我;所以你明显地能感到,如果你不告诉我全部真相,你就不能指望得到怜悯。”

“Condescend to listen to me, and you shall know all.”
“请屈尊倾听我,你将知晓一切。”

“I listen.”
“我听着。”

“I had been warned by the authorities that a celebrated coiner of bad money would arrive at my inn, with several of his companions, all disguised as Guards or Musketeers. —
“当局曾警告我,一名以伪造假币闻名的人将到我旅店,带着几个同伴,他们全都伪装成近卫军或武士。” —

Monseigneur, I was furnished with a description of your horses, your lackeys, your countenances-nothing was omitted.”
大人,我得到了关于您的马匹、仆人和容貌的描述-没有遗漏任何细节。

“Go on, go on!” said D’Artagnan, who quickly understood whence such an exact description had come.
“继续,继续!”达达尼昂说,他很快就明白了这样一个精确描述是从何处得到的。

“I took then, in conformity with the orders of the authorities, who sent me a reinforcement of six men, such measures as I thought necessary to get possession of the persons of the pretended coiners.”
“然后,根据当局发给我的六名增援的命令,我采取了我认为必要的措施,以获取所谓伪造币者的人。”

“Again!” said D’Artagnan, whose ears chafed terribly under the repetition of this word COINERs.
“再来!”达达尼昂说,他的耳朵在不停重复这个词“伪造币者”下很不舒服。

“Pardon me, monseigneur, for saying such things, but they form my excuse. —
“请原谅我,大人,我说了这些话,但这是我的借口。 —

The authorities had terrified me, and you know that an innkeeper must keep on good terms with the authorities.”
当局吓坏了我,您知道客栈老板必须与当局保持良好关系。”

“But once again, that gentleman-where is he? What has become of him? Is he dead? Is he living?”
“但那位绅士-他在哪里?他怎么了?他还活着吗?”

“Patience, monseigneur, we are coming to it. —
“耐心,大人,我们马上就要说到这一点。 —

There happened then that which you know, and of which your precipitate departure,” added the host, with an acuteness that did not escape D’Artagnan, “appeared to authorize the issue. —
那时发生了您知道的事情,您匆匆离去,”店主补充道,达达尼昂也不会逃过这种锐利 “这位绅士,您的朋友,拼命抵抗。 —

That gentleman, your friend, defended himself desperately. —
他的仆人,由于一场意外的倒霉,与伪装成马厩小伙子的官员发生了争执-” —

His lackey, who, by an unforeseen piece of ill luck, had quarreled with the officers, disguised as stable lads-”
“可恶的家伙!”达达尼昂大声说道,”那么你们所有人都是串通好的!

“Miserable scoundrel!” cried D’Artagnan, “you were all in the plot, then! —
我真不知道是什么阻止我把你们全部杀光。” —

And I really don’t know what prevents me from exterminating you all.”
“唉,大人,我们并没有串通好,您很快就会看到的。

“Alas, monseigneur, we were not in the plot, as you will soon see. —
您的朋友先生(请原谅我没有用他无疑拥有的尊贵称号称呼他,但我们不知道那个名字),您的朋友先生,在用他的手枪击伤两名士兵后,用剑退却,并用剑击晕了我的一个士兵。 —

Monsieur your friend (pardon for not calling him by the honorable name which no doubt he bears, but we do not know that name), Monsieur your friend, having disabled two men with his pistols, retreated fighting with his sword, with which he disable one of my men, and stunned me with a blow of the flat side of it.”
大人,我们并不知道他究竟是死是活。”

“You villian, will you finish?” cried D’Artagnan, “Athos-what has become of Athos?”
“你这个恶棍,你会结束吗?”达达尼昂喊道,“阿索,阿索怎么了?”

“While fighting and retreating, as I have told Monseigneur, he found the door of the cellar stairs behind him, and as the door was open, he took out the key, and barricaded himself inside. —
“正如我告诉主公的,他在激战和后撤时,发现身后的地窖楼梯门敞开着,于是他拿出钥匙,将自己关在里面,用凳子堵住了门。” —

As we were sure of finding him there, we left him alone.”
“我们确定会在那里找到他,所以我们让他独自待着。”

“Yes,” said D’Artagnan, “you did not really wish to kill; you only wished to imprison him.”
“是的,”达达尼昂说,“你并不真的想杀他;你只想囚禁他。”

“Good God! To imprison him, monseigneur? Why, he imprisoned himself, I swear to you he did. —
“天啊!囚禁他,主公?不,他自己囚禁了自己,我向你发誓他是这样做的。” —

In the first place he had made rough work of it; —
“首先他搞得一团糟;” —

one man was killed on the spot, and two others were severely wounded. —
“一人当场死亡,另外两人受重伤。” —

The dead man and the two wounded were carried off by their comrades, and I have heard nothing of either of them since. —
“死者和受伤的两人被他们的同伴抬走,自此我再未听到有关他们的消息。” —

As for myself, as soon as I recovered my senses I went to Monsieur the Governor, to whom I related all that had passed, and asked, what I should do with my prisoner. —
“至于我自己,只要我恢复神志,我就去找了总督先生,向他详细描述了所发生的事情,并询问,应该如何处理我的囚犯。” —

Monsieur the Governor was all astonishment. —
“总督先生大为惊讶。” —

He told me he knew nothing about the matter, that the orders I had received did not come from him, and that if I had the audacity to mention his name as being concerned in this disturbance he would have me hanged. —
“他告诉我他对此一无所知,我所收到的命令并非出自他之手,如果我厚着脸皮提到他的名字与这场骚乱有关,他会让我挂起来。” —

It appears that I had made a mistake, monsieur, that I had arrested the wrong person, and that he whom I ought to have arrested had escaped.”
“看来我犯了错误,先生,我拘留了错误的人,而我该拘留的人已逃走了。”

“But Athos!” cried D’Artagnan, whose impatience was increased by the disregard of the authorities, “Athos, where is he?”
“但是阿索!”达达尼昂喊道,当局的漠视使他更加焦躁,“阿索在哪里?”

“As I was anxious to repair the wrongs I had done the prisoner,” resumed the innkeeper, “I took my way straight to the cellar in order to set him at liberty. —
“因为我渴望弥补我对囚犯造成的冤屈,”旅店老板继续说道,“我径直去了地窖,准备释放他。” —

Ah, monsieur, he was no longer a man, he was a devil! —
“啊,先生,他不再是一个人,他成了恶魔!” —

To my offer of liberty, he replied that it was nothing but a snare, and that before he came out he intended to impose his own conditions. —
在我提出释放他的提议时,他回答说这只是一个陷阱,在他出来之前,他打算提出自己的条件。 —

I told him very humbly-for I could not conceal from myself the scrape I had got into by laying hands on one of his Majesty’s Musketeers-I told him I was quite ready to submit to his conditions.
我非常谦卑地告诉他,因为我不能掩饰我因为动手敢于对付国王的骑兵而陷入的困境,我很乐意接受他的条件。

”‘In the first place,’ said he, ‘I wish my lackey placed with me, fully armed.’ —
“‘首先,’他说,’我希望我的仆人与我一起被全副武装放在我身边。’ —

We hastened to obey this order; for you will please to understand, monsieur, we were disposed to do everything your friend could desire. —
我们急忙遵守这个命令;因为您将理解的,先生,我们愿意做您的朋友所需要的一切。 —

Monsieur Grimaud (he told us his name, although he does not talk much)-Monsieur Grimaud, then, went down to the cellar, wounded as he was; —
葛吕玛斗(他告诉我们他的名字,尽管他不怎么说话)-葛吕玛斗,然后,伤病未愈,下到了地窖。 —

then his master, having admitted him, barricaded the door afresh, and ordered us to remain quietly in our own bar.”
然后他的主人,让他进去后,重新用门栓将门堵上,命令我们安静地待在自己的酒吧里。

“But where is Athos now?” cried D’Artagnan. “Where is Athos?”
“但是阿多斯现在在哪里?” 达达尼昂喊道。”阿多斯在哪里?”

“In the cellar, monsieur.”
“在地窖里,先生。”

“What, you scoundrel! Have you kept him in the cellar all this time?”
“你这个恶棍!你把他一直关在地窖里吗?”

“Merciful heaven! No, monsieur! We keep him in the cellar! —
“天哪!不,先生!我们并没有把他关在地窖里! —

You do not know what he is about in the cellar. Ah! —
你不知道他在地窖里做些什么。啊! —

If you could but persuade him to come out, monsieur, I should owe you the gratitude of my whole life; —
如果您能说服他出来,先生,我将感激您一生; —

I should adore you as my patron saint!”
我将把您当作我的守护圣徒来崇拜!”

“Then he is there? I shall find him there?”
“那么他在那里?我会在那里找到他吗?”

“Without doubt you will, monsieur; he persists in remaining there. —
“毫无疑问,先生;他一直坚持留在那里。 —

We every day pass through the air hole some bread at the end of a fork, and some meat when he asks for it; —
我们每天都用叉子挑一些面包和肉经过通风孔递给他,当他要的时候; —

but alas! It is not of bread and meat of which he makes the greatest consumption. —
但唉!他吃得最多的并不是面包和肉。 —

I once endeavored to go down with two of my servants; but he flew into terrible rage. —
我曾试图和两个仆人一起下去;但他勃然大怒。 —

I heard the noise he made in loading his pistols, and his servant in loading his musketoon. —
我听到他装填手枪的声音,他的仆人在装填火铳。 —

Then, when we asked them what were their intentions, the master replied that he had forty charges to fire, and that he and his lackey would fire to the last one before he would allow a single soul of us to set foot in the cellar. —
后来,当我们问他们打算干什么时,主人回答说他有四十发子弹要射击,而且他和他的仆役会在允许我们有一只脚踏入地窖之前射到最后一发。 —

Upon this I went and complained to the governor, who replied that I only had what I deserved, and that it would teach me to insult honorable gentlemen who took up their abode in my house.”
于是我去向总督投诉,总督回答说我领受了应有的待遇,这会教训我不要侮辱在我房子里住宿的尊贵绅士。

“So that since that time-” replied D’Artagnan, totally unable to refrain from laughing at the pitiable face of the host.
“因此,自那时起-” 达达尼昂,完全忍不住要笑,看着店主痛苦的表情。

“So from that time, monsieur,” continued the latter, “we have led the most miserable life imaginable; for you must know, monsieur, that all our provisions are in the cellar. —
“所以从那时起,先生,” 后者继续说道,“我们过着最惨不忍睹的生活;因为你必须知道,先生,我们所有的食物都在地窖里。 —

There is our wine in bottles, and our wine in casks; —
那里有我们的葡萄酒瓶,还有我们的酒桶; —

the beer, the oil, and the spices, the bacon, and sausages. —
啤酒,油和香料,熏肉和香肠。 —

And as we are prevented from going down there, we are forced to refuse food and drink to the travelers who come to the house; —
由于我们无法去那里,我们被迫拒绝食物和饮料给来旅馆的旅客; —

so that our hostelry is daily going to ruin. —
所以我们的客栈每天都在走向破产。 —

If your friend remains another week in my cellar I shall be a ruined man.”
如果你的朋友再在我的地窖里呆上一周,我将破产。

“And not more than justice, either, you ass! —
“这也毫不冤枉,你这畜生! —

Could you not perceive by our appearance that we were people of quality, and not coiners-say?”
你难道看不出我们的仪表显示我们是品质高尚的人,而不是造假者-是吧?”

“Yes, monsieur, you are right,” said the host. “But, hark, hark! There he is!”
“是的,先生,您是对的,”店主说。“但是,听,听!他来了!”

“Somebody has disturbed him, without doubt,” said D’Artagnan.
“毫无疑问,有人打扰了他,”达达尼安说。

“But he must be disturbed,” cried the host; “Here are two English gentlemen just arrived.”
“但他必须被打扰,”店主喊道:“这里来了两位英国绅士。”

“well?”
“嗯?”

“Well, the English like good wine, as you may know, monsieur; these have asked for the best. —
“嗯,您可能知道,英国人喜欢好酒,”店主说,“这两位要求最好的。” —

My wife has perhaps requested permission of Monsieur Athos to go into the cellar to satisfy these gentlemen; —
“也许我的妻子请求了阿多斯先生的许可去地窖取悦这些绅士;” —

and he, as usual, has refused. Ah, good heaven! —
“然而,他,像往常一样,拒绝了。啊,天哪!” —

There is the hullabaloo louder than ever!”
“这里比以往任何时候都热闹!”

D’Artagnan, in fact, heard a great noise on the side next the cellar. —
实际上,达达尼安听到了靠近地窖的一侧传来很大的噪音。 —

He rose, and preceded by the host wringing his hands, and followed by Planchet with his musketoon ready for use, he approached the scene of action.
他站起来,店主捶胸顿足地走在前面,普朗谢随后紧握手枪准备行动,他们走向事发地点。

The two gentlemen were exasperated; they had had a long ride, and were dying with hunger and thirst.
这两位绅士变得愤怒起来;他们骑了很长时间,又饥又渴。

“But this is tyranny!” cried one of them, in very good French, though with a foreign accent, “that this madman will not allow these good people access to their own wine! —
“这是暴政!”其中一位用非常流利的法语说,尽管带有一些外国口音,“这个疯子不让这些善良的人接触自己的酒! —

Nonsense, let us break open the door, and if he is too far gone in his madness, well, we will kill him!”
胡说,我们破门而入吧,如果他已经疯了,那么,我们就杀了他!”

“Softly, gentlemen!” said D’Artagnan, drawing his pistols from his belt, “you will kill nobody, if you please!”
“先生们,请轻轻地!”达达尼安从腰带上取下手枪说:“请不要伤人!”

“Good, good!” cried the calm voice of Athos, from the other side of the door, “let them just come in, these devourers of little children, and we shall see!”
“好,好!”阿多斯的镇定声音从门的另一侧传来,“让那些吃婴儿的人进来,我们就会见识到了!”

Brave as they appeared to be, the two English gentlemen looked at each other hesitatingly. —
尽管他们看起来勇敢,但这两位英国绅士犹豫地相互看了一眼。 —

One might have thought there was in that cellar one of those famished ogres–the gigantic heroes of popular legends, into whose cavern nobody could force their way with impunity.
人们可能会觉得那个地下室里藏着一个饥饿的食人魔–那些流行传说中的巨人英雄,谁也无法毫发无伤地闯入他们的洞穴。

There was a moment of silence; but at length the two Englishmen felt ashamed to draw back, and the angrier one descended the five or six steps which led to the cellar, and gave a kick against the door enough to split a wall.
有片刻的沉默;但最终两位英国绅士感到羞于退缩,愤怒的那位顺着通往地下室的五六级台阶走下去,对着门就是一脚,足以撞开一堵墙。

“Planchet,” said D’Artagnan, cocking his pistols, “I will take charge of the one at the top; —
“普兰谢,“达达尼昂说着,上好枪,”我会负责上面的那个; —

you look to the one below. Ah, gentlemen, you want battle; —
你负责下面的那个。啊,先生们,你们渴望战斗; —

and you shall have it.”
你们将会得到战斗。”

“Good God!” cried the hollow voice of Athos, “I can hear D’Artagnan, I think.”
“天啊!”阿索斯沉重的声音喊道,”我听见了达达尼昂,我想。”

“Yes,” cried D’Artagnan, raising his voice in turn, “I am here, my friend.”
“是的,“达达尼昂依次提高了声音,“我在这里,我的朋友。”

“Ah, good, then,” replied Athos, “we will teach them, these door breakers!”
“啊,很好,”阿索斯回答说,”我们将教训他们,这些破门者!”

The gentlemen had drawn their swords, but they found themselves take between two fires. —
两位绅士已经拔出剑,但他们发现自己身陷两火之间。 —

They still hesitated an instant; but, as before, pride prevailed, and a second kick split the door from bottom to top.
他们还是犹豫了一瞬间;但是,如同之前一样,骄傲战胜了一切,又一脚将门从上到下劈开。

“Stand on one side, D’Artagnan, stand on one side,” cried Athos. “I am going to fire!”
“站在一边,达达尼昂,站在一边,”阿索斯喊道。“我要开枪了!”

“Gentlemen,” exclaimed D’Artagnan, whom reflection never abandoned, “gentlemen, think of what you are about. —
“先生们,”永远不会放弃思考的达达尼昂喊道,“先生们,想清楚你们在做什么。 —

Patience, Athos! You are running your heads into a very silly affair; you will be riddled. —
耐心,阿索斯!你们正在卷入一场非常愚蠢的争执;你们会被打得找不着北。 —

My lackey and I will have three shots at you, and you will get as many from the cellar. —
我的仆人和我会各自向你们射三枪,而你们将从地窖那里也会得到同样数量的射击。” —

You will then have out swords, with which, I can assure you, my friend and I can play tolerably well. —
你们随后会掏出剑,我可以向你保证,我的朋友和我玩得很不错。 —

Let me conduct your business and my own. —
让我来处理你的事务和我的事务。 —

You shall soon have something to drink; I give you my word.”
你很快就会有东西喝了;我向你保证。”

“If there is any left,” grumbled the jeering voice of Athos.
“如果还有的话,”阿多斯讥讽的声音抱怨道。

The host felt a cold sweat creep down his back.
主人感到一阵冷汗从背上蔓延开来。

“How! ‘If there is any left!” murmured he.
“怎么!‘如果还有的话!’”他喃喃自语道。

“What the devil! There must be plenty left,” replied D’Artagnan. “Be satisfied of that; —
“怎么了!得有很多的剩下,”达达尼安回答。“你放心; —

these two cannot have drunk all the cellar. —
这两位不可能把地窖里的酒都喝光。 —

Gentlemen, return your swords to their scabbards.”
先生们,把剑放回剑鞘里。”

“Well, provided you replace your pistols in your belt.”
“好吧,只要你把手枪放回腰带里。”

“Willingly.”
“甘愿如此。”

And D’Artagnan set the example. Then, turning toward Planchet, he made him a sign to uncock his musketoon.
达达尼安做出了示范。然后,他转向普朗谢,示意他放下步枪的扳机。

The Englishmen, convinced of these peaceful proceedings, sheathed their swords grumblingly. —
英国人,看到这些和平的一切,抱怨着将剑放入剑鞘。 —

The history of Athos’s imprisonment was then related to them; —
随后向他们讲述了阿多斯被监禁的经过; —

and as they were really gentlemen, they pronounced the host in the wrong.
由于他们真的是绅士,他们断定主人是不对的。

“Now, gentlemen,” said D’Artagnan, “go up to your room again; —
“现在,先生们,”达达尼安说,“回到你们的房间去; —

and in ten minutes, I will answer for it, you shall have all you desire.”
十分钟之内,我可以保证,你们想要的一切都会得到。”

The Englishmen bowed and went upstairs.
英国人点头,上了楼。

“Now I am alone, my dear Athos,” said D’Artagnan; “open the door, I beg of you.”
“现在我一个人了,亲爱的阿索斯,”达达尼安说,“请打开门,拜托你了。”

“Instantly,” said Athos.
“马上,”阿索斯说。

Then was heard a great noise of fagots being removed and of the groaning of posts; —
接着传来了一阵拔短枝和柱子的呻吟声; —

these were the counterscarps and bastions of Athos, which the besieged himself demolished.
这是被围困者阿索斯自己拆除的防御工事。

An instant after, the broken door was removed, and the pale face of Athos appeared, who with a rapid glance took a survey of the surroundings.
随后,破损的门被移开,苍白的阿索斯露出了脸,他迅速地打量了周围。

D’Artagnan threw himself on his neck and embraced him tenderly. —
达达尼安扑到他的脖子上,亲切地拥抱着他。 —

He then tried to draw him from his moist abode, but to his surprise he perceived that Athos staggered.
他试图拉开他离开潮湿的地方,但让他惊讶的是,他发现阿索斯踉跄了一下。

“You are wounded,” said he.
“你受伤了,”他说。

“I! Not at all. I am dead drunk, that’s all, and never did a man more strongly set about getting so. —
“我?一点也没有。我只是烂醉如泥,就这样,没有人像我这样用力想要喝酒。 —

By the Lord, my good host! I must at least have drunk for my part a hundred and fifty bottles.”
上帝啊,我亲爱的店主!至少我自己已经喝了一百五十瓶。”

“Mercy!” cried the host, “if the lackey has drunk only half as much as the master, I am a ruined man.”
“求求你!”店主喊道,“如果那个下人只喝了主人的一半,那我就完蛋了。”

“Grimaud is a well-bred lackey. He would never think of faring in the same manner as his master; —
“格莱茂德是一个有教养的下人。他永远不会像他的主人那样用同样的方式过日子;” —

he only drank from the cask. Hark! I don’t think he put the faucet in again. —
他只喝酒桶中的酒。嘿!我觉得他没有再安装水龙头。 —

Do you hear it? It is running now.”
你听到了吗?现在水开着呢。

D’Artagnan burst into a laugh which changed the shiver of the host into a burning fever.
达达尼安哈哈大笑,把店主的惊恐变成了烈焰的狂热。

In the meantime, Grimaud appeared in his turn behind his master, with the musketoon on his shoulder, and his head shaking. —
与此同时,格里莫再次出现在他的主人身后,肩上扛着火铳,晃动着头。 —

Like one of those drunken satyrs in the pictures of Rubens. —
就像鲁本斯画作中的一个醉醺醺的萨提尔一样。 —

He was moistened before and behind with a greasy liquid which the host recognized as his best olive oil.
他前后都沾满了店主所认出来的顶级橄榄油的油腻液体。

The four crossed the public room and proceeded to take possession of the best apartment in the house, which D’Artagnan occupied with authority.
此时四人穿过客厅,前去占据房中最好的一间,达达尼安用主宰的姿态住下了。

In the meantime the host and his wife hurried down with lamps into the cellar, which had so long been interdicted to them and where a frightful spectacle awaited them.
与此同时,店主和他的妻子匆忙拿着灯下到了长期被禁入的地窖,里面等待着他们的是一个可怕的景象。

Beyond the fortifications through which Athos had made a breach in order to get out, and which were composed of fagots, planks, and empty casks, heaped up according to all the rules of the strategic art, they found, swimming in puddles of oil and wine, the bones and fragments of all the hams they had eaten; —
超越了阿索斯炮火助攻闯进的帐篷庭院后,这里堆放着根据所有战略艺术规则积攒的柴捆、木板和空桶,他们找到了浸泡在油和葡萄酒的水坑中,他们曾经吃掉的所有火腿的骨头和残骸; —

while a heap of broken bottles filled the whole left-hand corner of the cellar, and a tun, the cock of which was left running, was yielding, by this means, the last drop of its blood. —
同时地窖的左角堆满了摔碎的酒瓶,而一桶,龙头还开着,正通过这种方式滴落着它最后一丝的血。 —

“The image of devastation and death,” as the ancient poet says, “reigned as over a field of battle.”
正如古诗人所说的,“毁灭和死亡的形象”在这里占主导地位,就像一个战场一样。

Of fifty large sausages, suspended from the joists, scarcely ten remained.
在横梁上悬挂的五十根大香肠中,几乎只剩下十根。

Then the lamentations of the host and hostess pierced the vault of the cellar. —
店主和女店主的哀叹穿透了地窖的穹顶。 —

D’Artagnan himself was moved by them. Athos did not even turn his head.
达达尼安自己也被感动了。而阿索斯甚至没有转头。

To grief succeeded rage. The host armed himself with a spit, and rushed into the chamber occupied by the two friends.
悲伤之后是愤怒。店主拿起烤肉叉冲进了两位朋友的房间。

“Some wine!” said Athos, on perceiving the host.
“主人,来点酒!” 阿索斯说道。

“Some wine!” cried the stupefied host, “some wine? —
“来点酒!” 客店老板惊讶地喊道,“来点酒? —

Why you have drunk more than a hundred pistoles’ worth! —
你们已经喝掉了一百枚金币的价值! —

I am a ruined man, lost, destroyed!”
我完蛋了,毁了,毁了!”

“Bah,” said Athos, “we were always dry.”
“嘿,” 阿索斯说,“我们一直口渴着呢。”

“If you had been contented with drinking, well and good; but you have broken all the bottles.”
“如果你只是喝酒就好了;但你把所有的酒都给喝完了。”

“You pushed me upon a heap which rolled down. That was your fault.”
“是你把我推到了一个滚下去的堆里。那可是你的错。”

“All my oil is lost!”
“所有的油都没有了!”

“Oil is a sovereign balm for wounds; and my poor Grimaud here was obliged to dress those you had inflicted on him.”
“油是治疗伤口的灵丹妙药;我可怜的格里莫德必须使用一些来给你造成的伤口包扎。”

“All my sausages are gnawed!”
“所有的香肠都被咬了!”

“There is an enormous quantity of rats in that cellar.”
“那个地窖里有大量老鼠。”

“You shall pay me for all this,” cried the exasperated host.
“你得赔偿我这一切!” 气愤的店主大喊。

“Triple ass!” said Athos, rising; but he sank down again immediately. —
“混蛋!” 阿索斯站了起来,但随即又跌倒了。 —

He had tried his strength to the utmost. —
他已经竭尽全力了。 —

D’Artagnan came to his relief with his whip in his hand.
达达尼安手持鞭子走了上去帮忙。

The host drew back and burst into tears.
主人退后一步,泪如泉涌。

“This will teach you,” said D’Artagnan, “to treat the guests God sends you in a more courteous fashion.”
“这会让你明白,”达达尼安说,“待上帝派来的客人应该更有礼貌。”

“God? Say the devil!”
“上帝?别说什么魔鬼!”

“My dear friend,” said D’Artagnan, “if you annoy us in this manner we will all four go and shut ourselves up in your cellar, and we will see if the mischief is as great as you say.”
“亲爱的朋友,”达达尼安说,“如果你这样惹我们,我们四个就会进入你的地窖,看看到底有多大的麻烦。”

“Oh, gentlemen,” said the host, “I have been wrong. I confess it, but pardon to every sin! —
“哦,先生们,”主人说,“是我错了,我承认,但请赦免我的一切罪过! —

You are gentlemen, and I am a poor innkeeper. —
你们是绅士,我只是个穷亭主。 —

You will have pity on me.”
你们会怜悯我的。”

“Ah, if you speak in that way,” said Athos, “you will break my heart, and the tears will flow from my eyes as the wine flowed from the cask. —
“啊,如果你这样说,”阿多斯说,“我会伤心欲绝,眼泪会如同酒从桶里流出。 —

We are not such devils as we appear to be. —
我们并非表面看起来那般恶魔。 —

Come hither, and let us talk.”
过来,让我们谈谈。”

The host approached with hesitation.
主人犹豫地走近。

“Come hither, I say, and don’t be afraid,” continued Athos. “At the very moment when I was about to pay you, I had placed my purse on the table.”
“过来,我说,别害怕,”阿多斯继续说。“我刚好要付账的时候,就把钱袋放在桌上。”

“Yes, monsieur.”
“是的,先生。”

“That purse contained sixty pistoles; where is it?”
“钱袋里有六十枚金币,它现在在哪里?”

“Deposited with the justice; they said it was bad money.”
“存放在法官那里;他们说是假币。”

“Very well; get me my purse back and keep the sixty pistoles.”
“好吧;把我的钱包拿回来,把那六十枚比斯拿去。”

“But Monseigneur knows very well that justice never lets go that which it once lays hold of. —
“但大人们心知肚明,一旦揪住不释手的就是正义。” —

If it were bad money, there might be some hopes; —
“如果是假币,或许还有些希望; —

but unfortunately, those were all good pieces.”
但不幸的是,那些都是真币。”

“Manage the matter as well as you can, my good man; —
“尽量处理吧,我的好人; —

it does not concern me, the more so as I have not a livre left.”
这与我无关,因为我已经一文不剩。”

“Come,” said D’Artagnan, “let us inquire further. Athos’s horse, where is that?”
“走吧,”达达尼安说,“我们再打听打听。阿多斯的马在哪里?”

“In the stable.”
“在马厩。”

“How much is it worth?”
“值多少钱?”

“Fifty pistoles at most.”
“最多五十枚比斯。”

“It’s worth eighty. Take it, and there ends the matter.”
“值八十。拿去吧,问题就这样解决了。”

“What,” cried Athos, “are you selling my horse–my Bajazet? —
“什么,”阿多斯喊道,“你们要卖掉我的马——我的巴贾泽?” —

And pray upon what shall I make my campaign; upon Grimaud?”
“那我该靠什么来征战呢;靠格里莫德吗?”

“I have brought you another,” said D’Artagnan.
“我给你带来了另一匹,”达达尼安说。

“Another?”
“另一匹?”

“And a magnificent one!” cried the host.
“太棒了!”店主喊道。

“Well, since there is another finer and younger, why, you may take the old one; and let us drink.”
“嗯,既然还有一瓶更好更年轻的,那么你可以拿那瓶老的;来,我们干杯。”

“What?” asked the host, quite cheerful again.
“什么?”店主问道,又变得开心起来。

“Some of that at the bottom, near the laths. —
“底部有一些,靠近支架。” —

There are twenty- five bottles of it left; —
“还剩下二十五瓶; —

all the rest were broken by my fall. Bring six of them.”
其余的都被我摔碎了。拿六瓶过来。”

“Why, this man is a cask!” said the host, aside. —
“这个人就像一个酒桶!”店主在一旁说道。 —

“If he only remains here a fortnight, and pays for what he drinks, I shall soon re-establish my business.”
“只要他住在这里两周,付酒钱,我很快就能恢复生意。”

“And don’t forget,” said D’Artagnan, “to bring up four bottles of the same sort for the two English gentlemen.”
“别忘了,”达达尼昂说,“给两位英国绅士也拿四瓶同样的酒上来。”

“And now,” said Athos, “while they bring the wine, tell me, D’Artagnan, what has become of the others, come!”
“现在,”阿多斯说,“趁他们拿酒来,告诉我,达达尼昂,其他人情况怎么样,来吧!”

D’Artagnan related how he had found Porthos in bed with a strained knee, and Aramis at a table between two theologians. —
达达尼昂讲述了他发现波尔多斯膝盖受伤在床上,阿拉米斯坐在两位神学家之间的桌子旁边。 —

As he finished, the host entered with the wine ordered and a ham which, fortunately for him, had been left out of the cellar.
说完,店主端着订的酒和火腿进来,幸运的是有一块没有放在酒窖里。

“That’s well!” said Athos, filling his glass and that of his friend; “here’s to Porthos and Aramis! —
“很好!” 阿多斯说,给自己和朋友倒满了杯子;“为波尔多斯和阿拉米斯干杯! —

But you, D’Artagnan, what is the matter with you, and what has happened to you personally? —
但是,达达尼昂,你怎么了,还有什么事发生在你身上? —

You have a sad air.”
你看起来很沮丧。”

“Alas,” said D’Artagnan, “it is because I am the most unfortunate? Tell me.”
“啊,”达达尼安说,“难道是因为我最不幸?告诉我。”

“Presently,” said D’Artagnan.
“立刻,”达达尼安说。

“Presently! And why presently? Because you think I am drunk? D’Artagnan, remember this! —
“立刻!为什么立刻?因为你觉得我喝醉了?达达尼安,记住这一点! —

My ideas are never so clear as when I have had plenty of wine. —
只有在我喝了足够的酒之后,我的思维才会清晰。 —

Speak, then, I am all ears.”
说吧,我洗耳恭听。”

D’Artagnan related his adventure with Mme. Bonacieux. Athos listened to him without a frown; —
达达尼安讲述了他与波纳谢夫人的冒险。阿索斯听着,没有皱眉; —

and when he had finished, said, “Trifles, only trifles!” —
当他讲完时,说,“无关紧要,只是小事!” —

That was his favorite word.
那是他最喜欢的词。

“You always say TRIFLES, my dear Athos!” said D’Artagnan, “and that come very ill from you, who have never loved.”
“你总是说小事,我亲爱的阿索斯!”达达尼安说,“这样说很不雅,你从未去爱过。”

The drink-deadened eye of Athos flashed out, but only for a moment; —
阿索斯被酒精麻痹的眼睛闪烁了一下,但只是瞬间; —

it became as dull and vacant as before.
它又变得像先前一样愚钝而空洞。

“That’s true,” said he, quietly, “for my part I have never loved.”
“是的,”他平静地说,“就我而言,我从未去爱过。”

“Acknowledge, then, you stony heart,” said D’Artagnan, “that you are wrong to be so hard upon us tender hearts.”
“那么,请承认,你这颗冰冷的心,”达达尼安说,“对我们这些柔软的心来说,你太苛刻了。”

“Tender hearts! Pierced hearts!” said Athos.
“柔软的心!受伤的心!”阿索斯说。

“What do you say?”
“你说什么?”

“I say that love is a lottery in which he who wins, wins death! —
我说爱情就像一场彩票,赢得的人便是赢得了死亡! —

You are very fortunate to have lost, believe me, my dear D’Artagnan. —
德塔尼昂,你能够失去真是非常幸运,相信我。 —

And if I have any counsel to give, it is, always lose!”
如果我有任何忠告要给你,那就是,永远输掉吧!

“She seemed to love me so!”
“她看起来是那么爱我!”

“She SEEMED, did she?”
“看起来,是吗?”

“Oh, she DID love me!”
“哦,她确实爱我!”

“You child, why, there is not a man who has not believed, as you do, that his mistress loved him, and there lives not a man who has not been deceived by his mistress.”
“你这个孩子,每一个男人都会认为他的情人爱他,但没有一个男人不被他的情人欺骗过。”

“Except you, Athos, who never had one.”
“除了你,阿多斯,你从来没有过这样的事情。”

“That’s true,” said Athos, after a moment’s silence, “that’s true! I never had one! Let us drink!”
“那是真的,“阿多斯沉默片刻后说道,”是真的!我从来没有过!让我们喝吧!”

“But then, philosopher that you are,” said D’Artagnan, “instruct me, support me. —
“但是,作为一个哲学家,”达达尼昂说道,”教育我,支持我。 —

I stand in need of being taught and consoled.”
我需要被教导和安慰。”

“Consoled for what?”
“安慰什么?”

“For my misfortune.”
“因为我的不幸。”

“Your misfortune is laughable,” said Athos, shrugging his shoulders; —
“你的不幸可笑,“阿多斯耸耸肩说。 —

“I should like to know what you would say if I were to relate to you a real tale of love!”
“我想知道,如果我告诉你一个真正关于爱的故事,你会说什么!”

“Which has happened to you?”
“发生在你身上?”

“Or one of my friends, what matters?”
“或者我的朋友其中之一,有何分别?”

“Tell it, Athos, tell it.”
“讲出来,阿多斯,讲出来。”

“Better if I drink.”
“喝点酒再说。”

“Drink and relate, then.”
“喝酒并讲述吧。”

“Not a bad idea!” said Athos, emptying and refilling his glass. —
“不错的主意!“阿多斯喝掉杯中的酒然后重新斟满。 —

“The two things agree marvelously well.”
“这两件事很奇妙地相配。”

“I am all attention,” said D’Artagnan.
“我洗耳恭听,” 德特尼安说道。

Athos collected himself, and in proportion as he did so, D’Artagnan saw that he became pale. —
阿多斯振作精神,随着他变得苍白,德特尼安看到了这一点。 —

He was at that period of intoxication in which vulgar drinkers fall and sleep. —
他正处在醉酒状态,俗称倒头就睡。 —

He kept himself upright and dreamed, without sleeping. —
他保持直立,却做着梦,没有入睡。 —

This somnambulism of drunkenness had something frightful in it.
醉酒的梦游状态有点可怕。

“You particularly wish it?” asked he.
“你特别想知道吗?”他问道。

“I pray for it,” said D’Artagnan.
“我请求如此,”德特尼安说。

“Be it then as you desire. One of my friends–one of my friends, please to observe, not myself,” said Athos, interrupting himself with a melancholy smile, “one of the counts of my province–that is to say, of Berry–noble as a Dandolo or a Montmorency, at twenty-five years of age fell in love with a girl of sixteen, beautiful as fancy can paint. —
“就按你的要求吧。我的一个朋友–一个朋友,请注意,不是我自己,” 阿多斯打断了自己,带着悲伤的微笑说,“我的一个省份的伯爵之一–也就是贝里,二十五岁时爱上了一个十六岁的女孩,美丽得如同幻想。 —

Through the ingenuousness of her age beamed an ardent mind, not of the woman, but of the poet. —
她年幼的天真面孔中闪耀着一个热情的心灵,那不是女人的,而是诗人的。 —

She did not please; she intoxicated. She lived in a small town with her brother, who was a curate. —
她不仅仅讨人喜欢;她令人陶醉。她和她的弟弟一起生活在一座小镇,弟弟是一名牧师。 —

Both had recently come into the country. They came nobody knew whence; —
他们最近才来到这个乡村,没有人知道他们来自何方。 —

but when seeing her so lovely and her brother so pious, nobody thought of asking whence they came. —
但是当看到她如此可爱,她的兄弟如此虔诚时,没有人会想问他们从哪里来。 —

They were said, however, to be of good extraction. —
据说他们出身不低。 —

My friend, who was seigneur of the country, might have seduced her, or taken her by force, at his will–for he was master. —
我的朋友,这个乡村的主人,也许可以勾引她,或强取她,因为他有权势。 —

Who would have come to the assistance of two strangers, two unknown persons? —
没有人会为两个陌生人,两个不知名的人提供帮助。 —

Unfortunately he was an honorable man; he married her. —
不幸的是,他是个正直的人;他娶了她。 —

The fool! The ass! The idiot!”
“愚蠢!笨蛋!白痴!”

“How so, if he love her?” asked D’Artagnan.
“如果他爱她,那又怎样?”达达尼昂问道。

“Wait,” said Athos. “He took her to his chateau, and made her the first lady in the province; —
“等一下,”阿多斯说。“他带她去了他的城堡,在该省做她第一夫人; —

and in justice it must be allowed that she supported her rank becomingly.”
正义上得承认,她相称地维持了她的地位。”

“Well?” asked D’Artagnan.
“那么?”达达尼昂问道。

“Well, one day when she was hunting with her husband,” continued Athos, in a low voice, and speaking very quickly,” she fell from her horse and fainted. —
“唔,有一天,她和丈夫一起打猎时,”阿多斯用低声音继续说,说话很快,“她从马上摔下来晕倒了。 —

The count flew to her to help, and as she appeared to be oppressed by her clothes, he ripped them open with his poinard, and in so doing laid bare her shoulder. —
伯爵冲到她身边帮忙,因为她似乎被她的衣服束缚,他用他的匕首把衣服撕开,这么做时露出了她的肩膀。 —

D’Artagnan,” said Athos, with a maniacal burst of laughter, “guess what she had on her shoulder.”
达达尼昂,”阿多斯笑得狂热,“猜猜她的肩膀上有什么。”

“How can I tell?” said D’Artagnan.
“我怎么知道?”达达尼昂说。

“A FLEUR-DE-LIS,” said Athos. “She was branded.”
“一个铁王座的花卉图案,”阿多斯说。“她被烙印了。”

Athos emptied at a single draught the glass he held in his hand.
阿多斯一口气将手中的杯子喝干。

“Horror!” cried D’Artagnan. “What do you tell me?”
“可怕!”达达尼昂喊道。“你告诉我的是什么?”

“Truth, my friend. The angel was a demon; —
“真相,我的朋友。这个天使是个恶魔; —

the poor young girl had stolen the sacred vessels from a church.”
这个可怜的年轻女孩偷走了教堂的圣餐器。”

“And what did the count do?”
“那个伯爵做了什么?”

“The count was of the highest nobility. He had on his estates the rights of high and low tribunals. —
“那个伯爵是最高贵的贵族。在他的领地上,他拥有高低法庭的权利。 —

He tore the dress of the countess to pieces; —
他撕裂了伯爵夫人的衣服; —

he tied her hands behind her, and hanged her on a tree.”
他把她的双手绑在身后,然后将她绞死在一棵树上。”

“Heavens, Athos, a murder?” cried D’Artagnan.
“天啊,阿多斯,谋杀?”达尔塔尼安惊呼道。

“No less,” said Athos, as pale as a corpse. “But methinks I need wine!” —
“不差,” 阿多斯脸色苍白如死人。”但我觉得我需要酒!” —

and he seized by the neck the last bottle that was left, put it to his mouth, and emptied it at a single draught, as he would have emptied an ordinary glass.
他抓起最后一瓶剩下的酒,放在嘴里,一口气将其倒空,就像喝普通的酒杯一样。

Then he let his head sink upon his two hands, while D’Artagnan stood before him, stupefied.
然后,他把头撑在双手上,而达尔塔尼安呆立在他面前,目瞪口呆。

“That has cured me of beautiful, poetical, and loving women,” said Athos, after a considerable pause, raising his head, and forgetting to continue the fiction of the count. —
“这让我对美丽、诗意和充满爱的女人失望了,” 阿多斯在沉默片刻后抬起头,忘记了继续伯爵的故事。 —

“God grant you as much! Let us drink.”
“愿上帝保佑你也能如愿!让我们喝一杯吧。”

“Then she is dead?” stammered D’Artagnan.
“那么她已经死了?” 达尔塔尼安结结巴巴地问道。

“PARBLEU!” said Athos. “But hold out your glass. Some ham, my boy, or we can’t drink.”
“天啊!” 阿多斯说道。”但伸出你的杯子。要些火腿,我的孩子,我们才能喝。”

“And her brother?” added D’Artagnan, timidly.
“她的哥哥呢?” 达尔塔尼安小心翼翼地补充道。

“Her brother?” replied Athos.
“她的哥哥?” 阿多斯回答说。

“Yes, the priest.”
“是的,那个神父。”

“Oh, I inquired after him for the purpose of hanging him likewise; —
“哦,我曾问及他的情况,是为了同样地将他绞死; —

but he was beforehand with me, he had quit the curacy the night before.”
但他比我先一步,他在前一晚就离开了牧师职位。”

“Was it ever known who this miserable fellow was?”
“有没有人知道这个可怜家伙是谁?”

“He was doubtless the first lover and accomplice of the fair lady. —
“毫无疑问是这位美女的第一个情人和同谋。 —

A worthy man, who had pretended to be a curate for the purpose of getting his mistress married, and securing her a position. —
一个值得尊敬的人,假装成一个牧师,是为了给他的情人结婚,并确保她有一个地位。 —

He has been hanged and quartered, I hope.”
我希望他已经被绞刑拆磨了。”

“My God, my God!” cried D’Artagnan, quite stunned by the relation of this horrible adventure.
“我的上帝,我的上帝!”达达尼昂受到这个可怕历险的描述之伤。

“Taste some of this ham, D’Artagnan; it is exquisite,” said Athos, cutting a slice, which he placed on the young man’s plate.
“尝一些这个火腿,达达尼昂;它很美味,”阿多斯说着,切了一片放在年轻人的盘子里。

“What a pity it is there were only four like this in the cellar. —
“可惜酒窖里只有四瓶这样的,”叹息道,“我本可以再喝50瓶。” —

I could have drunk fifty bottles more.”
达达尼昂再也无法忍受这个让他迷惑的对话。

D’Artagnan could no longer endure this conversation, which had made him bewildered. —
让头沉在双手上,他假装睡着了。 —

Allowing his head to sink upon his two hands, he pretended to sleep.
阿多斯怜悯地看着他说,“这些年轻人一个都喝不了,”说着。

“These young fellows can none of them drink,” said Athos, looking at him with pity, “and yet this is one of the best!”
“这其中的一瓶是最好的!”