THE DROP OF WATER
一滴水滴

Rochefort had scarcely departed when Mme. Bonacieux re-entered. —
Rochefort刚刚离开,Mme. Bonacieux就重新进来了。 —

She found Milady with a smiling countenance.
她看到Milady面带微笑。

“Well,” said the young woman, “what you dreaded has happened. —
“那么,“那位年轻女士说:”你害怕的事情发生了。 —

This evening, or tomorrow, the cardinal will send someone to take you away.”
今晚或明天,主教会派人来带走你的。”

“Who told you that, my dear?” asked Milady.
“亲爱的,是谁告诉你这个的?“Milady问道。

“I heard it from the mouth of the messenger himself.”
“我是从信使口中听到的。”

“Come and sit down close to me,” said Milady.
“过来坐到我身边,“Milady说。

“Here I am.”
“我来了.”

“Wait till I assure myself that nobody hears us.”
“等我确定没人听见我们。”

“Why all these precautions?”
“为什么这么谨慎?”

“You shall know.”
“你会知道的。”

Milady arose, went to the door, opened it, looked in the corridor, and then returned and seated herself close to Mme. Bonacieux.
Milady站起来,走到门口,打开门,看了看走廊,然后回来靠近Mme. Bonacieux坐下。

“Then,” said she, “he has well played his part.”
“那么,“她说:“他表现得不错。”

“Who has?”
“谁?”

“He who just now presented himself to the abbess as a messenger from the cardinal.”
“他刚才向修女自称是红衣主教派来的使者。”

“It was, then, a part he was playing?”
“那么,他只是在演戏吗?”

“Yes, my child.”
“是的,孩子。”

“That man, then, was not–”
“那个人,所以不是–”

“That man,” said Milady, lowering her voice, “is my brother.”
“那个人,”密莱迪压低声音说道,”是我的兄弟。”

“Your brother!” cried Mme. Bonacieux.
“你的兄弟!”邦娜谢笑着说。

“No one must know this secret, my dear, but yourself. —
“亲爱的,除你之外,不能有任何人知道这个秘密。 —

If you reveal it to anyone in the world, I shall be lost, and perhaps yourself likewise.”
如果你向世界上任何人泄露这件事,我将会毁灭,也许你也会同样如此。”

“Oh, my God!”
“哦,天啊!”

“Listen. This is what has happened: My brother, who was coming to my assistance to take me away by force if it were necessary, met with the emissary of the cardinal, who was coming in search of me. —
“听着。发生的事是这样的:我的兄弟,如果需要的话要来帮助我强行带走我,他遇到了红衣主教的使者,后者是来找我的。 —

He followed him. At a solitary and retired part of the road he drew his sword, and required the messenger to deliver up to him the papers of which he was the bearer. —
他跟踪着他。在一条荒僻隐蔽的路段,他拔剑,要求使者交出他所携带的文件。 —

The messenger resisted; my brother killed him.”
使者反抗;我的兄弟杀了他。”

“Oh!” said Mme. Bonacieux, shuddering.
“哦!”邦娜谢颤抖着说。

“Remember, that was the only means. Then my brother determined to substitute cunning for force. —
“记住,那是唯一的办法。于是我兄弟决定以诡计取代武力。 —

He took the papers, and presented himself here as the emissary of the cardinal, and in an hour or two a carriage will come to take me away by the orders of his Eminence.”
他拿到了文件,并在这里自称是红衣主教的使者,再过一两个小时,马车就会来按照主教的命令把我带走。”

“I understand. It is your brother who sends this carriage.”
“我明白了。是你兄弟派来这马车。”

“Exactly; but that is not all. That letter you have received, and which you believe to be from Madame de Chevreuse–”
“确切地说;但这还不是全部。你收到的那封信,你以为是来自夫人德谢马吗–”

“Well?”
“嗯?”

“It is a forgery.”
“那是个伪造品。”

“How can that be?”
“怎么可能?”

“Yes, a forgery; it is a snare to prevent your making any resistance when they come to fetch you.”
“是的,是伪造的;这是一个陷阱,目的是阻止你在他们来接你时做出任何反抗。”

“But it is D’Artagnan that will come.”
“但是会是达达尼昂来的。”

“Do not deceive yourself. D’Artagnan and his friends are detained at the siege of La Rochelle.”
“不要自欺欺人。达达尼昂和他的朋友们被困在洛歇尔的围困中。”

“How do you know that?”
“你怎么知道?”

“My brother met some emissaries of the cardinal in the uniform of Musketeers. —
“我兄弟遇到了一些身着麻客服的基督教董事的特使。” —

You would have been summoned to the gate; —
“他们会叫你去门口;” —

you would have believed yourself about to meet friends; —
“你会以为自己要见到朋友;” —

you would have been abducted, and conducted back to Paris.”
“你会被绑架,并被带回巴黎。”

“Oh, my God! My senses fail me amid such a chaos of iniquities. —
“哦,天啊!在这样混乱的罪恶之中,我的感官都要崩溃了。” —

I feel, if this continues,” said Mme. Bonacieux, raising her hands to her forehead, “I shall go mad!”
“我觉得,如果这种情况继续下去,”波纳丝小姐说着,把手放到额头上,“我会疯掉的!”

“Stop–”
“停下–”

“What?”
“什么事?”

“I hear a horse’s steps; it is my brother setting off again. —
“我听到马蹄声,应该是我兄弟再次启程了。 —

I should like to offer him a last salute. Come!”
我想向他最后致意。来吧!”

Milady opened the window, and made a sign to Mme. Bonacieux to join her. The young woman complied.
米莱迪打开窗户,示意邦娜修斯夫人加入她。年轻女子听从了。

Rochefort passed at a gallop.
罗切福特飞奔而过。

“Adieu, brother!” cried Milady.
“再见,兄弟!”米莱迪喊道。

The chevalier raised his head, saw the two young women, and without stopping, waved his hand in a friendly way to Milady.
这骑士抬起头,看到两位年轻女士,没停下来,友好地向米莱迪挥手示意。

“The good George!” said she, closing the window with an expression of countenance full of affection and melancholy. —
“好乔治!”她说着,用充满深情和忧伤的表情关闭窗户。 —

And she resumed her seat, as if plunged in reflections entirely personal.
她重新坐下,仿佛陷入了全然个人的思考。

“Dear lady,” said Mme. Bonacieux, “pardon me for interrupting you; —
“亲爱的夫人,”邦娜修斯说,”请原谅我打断您; —

but what do you advise me to do? Good heaven! —
但您建议我该怎么办呢?天哪! —

You have more experience than I have. Speak; I will listen.”
您比我有更多经验。说吧;我会听的。”

“In the first place,” said Milady, “it is possible I may be deceived, and that D’Artagnan and his friends may really come to your assistance.”
“首先,”米莱迪说,”有可能是我被欺骗了,达达尼昂和他的朋友们真的会来帮助你。”

“Oh, that would be too much!” cried Mme. Bonacieux, “so much happiness is not in store for me!”
“哦,那太美好了!”邦娜修斯夫人喊道,”这么多幸福不会降临在我身上!”

“Then you comprehend it would be only a question of time, a sort of race, which should arrive first. —
“然后你会明白这只是一个时间问题,一种赛跑,看哪个先到达。 —

If your friends are the more speedy, you are to be saved; —
如果你的朋友更快,你就会被救赎; —

if the satellites of the cardinal, you are lost.”
如果红衣主教的手下更快,你就会完蛋。”

“Oh, yes, yes; lost beyond redemption! What, then, to do? What to do?”
“哦,是的,是的;完蛋得无可挽回!那么,该怎么办?该怎么办?”

“There would be a very simple means, very natural–”
“会有一个非常简单的方法,非常自然的——”

“Tell me what!”
“告诉我吧!”

“To wait, concealed in the neighborhood, and assure yourself who are the men who come to ask for you.”
“躲起来,在附近等待,并确定是哪些人前来找你。”

“But where can I wait?”
“但我可以在哪里等待?”

“Oh, there is no difficulty in that. I shall stop and conceal myself a few leagues hence until my brother can rejoin me. —
“哦,在这方面没什么困难。我会停下来,藏身几条里外,直到我哥哥能够赶上我。 —

Well, I take you with me; we conceal ourselves, and wait together.”
好吧,我会带你一同前往;我们一起躲藏,一起等待。”

“But I shall not be allowed to go; I am almost a prisoner.”
“但我可能不被允许离开;我几乎是个囚犯。”

“As they believe that I go in consequence of an order from the cardinal, no one will believe you anxious to follow me.”
“因为他们相信我是按照红衣主教的命令行事,没有人会相信你渴望跟着我。”

“Well?”
“那么呢?”

“Well! The carriage is at the door; you bid me adieu; you mount the step to embrace me a last time; —
“好啊!马车就在门口;你告别我;你上车座位来最后一次拥抱我; —

my brother’s servant, who comes to fetch me, is told how to proceed; —
我哥哥的仆人,前来接我,已被告知该如何行动;” —

he makes a sign to the postillion, and we set off at a gallop.”
他向马车夫打了个手势,我们便飞驰而去。

“But D’Artagnan! D’Artagnan! if he comes?”
“但是达达尼昂!达达尼昂!如果他来了呢?”

“Shall we not know it?”
“我们岂不是会知道吗?”

“How?”
“怎么做呢?”

“Nothing easier. We will send my brother’s servant back to Bethune, whom, as I told you, we can trust. —
“再没有比这更容易的了。我们会派我哥哥的仆人回到贝图恩,我们可以相信他。 —

He shall assume a disguise, and place himself in front of the convent. —
他会变装,站在修道院前面。 —

If the emissaries of the cardinal arrive, he will take no notice; —
如果红衣主教的特使到达,他就不予理睬; —

if it is Monsieur d’Artagnan and his friends, he will bring them to us.”
如果是达达尼昂先生和他的朋友,他会把他们带到我们这里来。”

“He knows them, then?”
“他认识他们吗?”

“Doubtless. Has he not seen Monsieur d’Artagnan at my house?”
“毫无疑问。他在我家见过达达尼昂先生吗?”

“Oh, yes, yes; you are right. Thus all may go well–all may be for the best; —
“哦,是的,是的;你说得对。这样一切可能顺利–一切都可能变得更好; —

but we do not go far from this place?”
但我们不会离开这个地方太远吧?”

“Seven or eight leagues at the most. We will keep on the frontiers, for instance; —
“至多七八里。我们会靠近边境,比如; —

and at the first alarm we can leave France.”
在第一个警报的时候,我们可以离开法国。”

“And what can we do there?”
“那我们在那里能做什么呢?”

“Wait.”
“等一下。”

“But if they come?”
“但如果他们来了呢?”

“My brother’s carriage will be here first.”
“我弟弟的马车会先到。”

“If I should happen to be any distance from you when the carriage comes for you–at dinner or supper, for instance?”
“如果车来接你的时候我离你有点距离–比如在吃晚饭或午饭的时候呢?”

“Do one thing.”
“做一件事。”

“What is that?”
“是什么?”

“Tell your good superior that in order that we may be as much together as possible, you ask her permission to share my repast.”
“告诉你的好上司,为了我们能尽可能多地在一起,你请求她允许你和我一起吃饭。”

“Will she permit it?”
“她会允许吗?”

“What inconvenience can it be?”
“那会有什么不方便呢?”

“Oh, delightful! In this way we shall not be separated for an instant.”
“哦,太美妙了!这样我们就不会分开一刻。”

“Well, go down to her, then, to make your request. —
“好吧,那就去见她,向她提出你的请求。” —

I feel my head a little confused; I will take a turn in the garden.”
“我感觉头有点乱;我去花园里转一圈。”

“Go and where shall I find you?”
“我去,我该在哪找到你?”

“Here, in an hour.”
“一个小时后,在这里。”

“Here, in an hour. Oh, you are so kind, and I am so grateful!”
“一个小时后,在这里。哦,你真好,我感激不尽!”

“How can I avoid interesting myself for one who is so beautiful and so amiable? —
“我如何才能避免对那位如此美丽和和蔼可亲的人产生兴趣呢?” —

Are you not the beloved of one of my best friends?”
“难道你不是我最好的朋友之一的爱人吗?”

“Dear D’Artagnan! Oh, how he will thank you!”
“亲爱的达达尼安!哦,他会非常感谢你!”

“I hope so. Now, then, all is agreed; let us go down.”
“希望如此。那么,一切都已商定;我们走吧。”

“You are going into the garden?”
“你要去花园吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“Go along this corridor, down a little staircase, and you are in it.”
“沿着这条走廊,走下一小段楼梯,你就会到了。”

“Excellent; thank you!”
“太棒了;谢谢!”

“And the two women parted, exchanging charming smiles.
“两位女士分手时,互相交换着迷人的微笑。”

Milady had told the truth–her head was confused, for her ill-arranged plans clashed one another like chaos. —
米莱迪说的是真的–她头脑混乱,因为她混乱的计划彼此间相互冲突,就像混沌一样。 —

She required to be alone that she might put her thoughts a little into order. —
她需要独处一会儿,以便稍微整理一下思绪。 —

She saw vaguely the future; but she stood in need of a little silence and quiet to give all her ideas, as yet confused, a distinct form and a regular plan.
她隐约看到了未来;但她需要一点安静和宁静,为了让她如今尚未明晰的想法得以清晰表达和形成一个有条理的计划。

What was most pressing was to get Mme. Bonacieux away, and convey her to a place of safety, and there, if matters required, make her a hostage. —
最紧要的是要让波纳谢夫人离开,并将她送到一个安全的地方,如果需要的话,让她成为人质。 —

Milady began to have doubts of the issue of this terrible duel, in which her enemies showed as much perseverance as she did animosity.
米莱迪开始怀疑这场可怕决斗的结果,她的敌人展现出与她同样的坚持和敌意。

Besides, she felt as we feel when a storm is coming on–that this issue was near, and could not fail to be terrible.
此外,她感到像在暴风雨来临前一样–这场决斗的结果即将揭晓,并且注定会是可怕的。

The principal thing for her, then, was, as we have said, to keep Mme. Bonacieux in her power. —
因此,对她来说,最重要的事情是,要让邦娜丝夫人始终处于她的掌控之下。 —

Mme. Bonacieux was the very life of D’Artagnan. —
邦娜丝夫人对达达尼昂来说意味着一切。 —

This was more than his life, the life of the woman he loved; —
这不仅关系到他的生命,还关系到他所爱的女人的生命; —

this was, in case of ill fortune, a means of temporizing and obtaining good conditions.
这是在不幸的情况下,一种迟延并获得良好条件的手段。

Now, this point was settled; Mme. Bonacieux, without any suspicion, accompanied her. —
现在,这个问题已经解决了;邦娜丝夫人毫无疑虑地跟着她。 —

Once concealed with her at Armentieres, it would be easy to make her believe that D’Artagnan had not come to Bethune. —
一旦与她一起藏在Armentieres,她会很容易相信达达尼昂没有去Bethune。 —

In fifteen days at most, Rochefort would be back; —
最多在十五天,罗切福特会回来; —

besides, during that fifteen days she would have time to think how she could best avenge herself on the four friends. —
此外,在这十五天内,她会有时间考虑如何最好地对那四个朋友进行报复。 —

She would not be weary, thank God! for she should enjoy the sweetest pastime such events could accord a woman of her character–perfecting a beautiful vengeance.
上帝将保佑她不至疲倦!因为她将得到此类事件能提供给她这种性格的女人的最甜蜜的娱乐–筹划一场美丽的复仇。

Revolving all this in her mind, she cast her eyes around her, and arranged the topography of the garden in her head. —
想着所有这些,她环顾四周,将花园的地形安排在脑海中。 —

Milady was like a good general who contemplates at the same time victory and defeat, and who is quite prepared, according to the chances of the battle, to march forward or to beat a retreat.
米莱迪就像一个优秀的将军,他同时考虑着胜利和失败,并已准备好根据战斗的机会迈进或者撤退。

At the end of an hour she heard a soft voice calling her; it was Mme. Bonacieux’s. —
一个小时后,她听到一个柔和的声音在叫她;那是邦娜丝夫人的声音。 —

The good abbess had naturally consented to her request; —
好修女自然同意了她的请求; —

and as a commencement, they were to sup together.
而作为开始,她们将一起吃晚餐。

On reaching the courtyard, they heard the noise of a carriage which stopped at the gate.
当她们走到院子时,听到一辆马车停在门口的声音。

Milady listened.
米莱迪听着。

“Do you hear anything?” said she.
“你听到什么了吗?”她说。

“Yes, the rolling of a carriage.”
“是,车马的声音。”

“It is the one my brother sends for us.”
“那是我哥哥派来接我们的车子。”

“Oh, my God!”
“哦,天哪!”

“Come, come! courage!”
“来,加油!勇气!”

The bell of the convent gate was sounded; Milady was not mistaken.
修道院大门的铃声响了起来;米莱迪没有错。

“Go to your chamber,” said she to Mme. Bonacieux; —
“去你的房间,”她对蓓娜西乌斯夫人说; —

“you have perhaps some jewels you would like to take.”
“也许你有一些珠宝想带走。”

“I have his letters,” said she.
“我有他的信,”她说。

“Well, go and fetch them, and come to my apartment. We will snatch some supper; —
“好吧,去拿来,然后到我的房间来。我们快速吃点晚餐; —

we shall perhaps travel part of the night, and must keep our strength up.”
也许我们会在夜间赶路的一部分,必须保持体力。”

“Great God!” said Mme. Bonacieux, placing her hand upon her bosom, “my heart beats so I cannot walk.”
“天哪!”蓓娜西乌斯夫人把手放在胸前说,”我的心跳得太厉害,我走不动路。”

“Courage, courage! remember that in a quarter of an hour you will be safe; —
“加油,加油!记住,再过15分钟你就会安全; —

and think that what you are about to do is for HIS sake.”
并且想想你即将做的是为了他的缘故。”

“Yes, yes, everything for him. You have restored my courage by a single word; —
“是的,是的,一句话就让我重拾信心; —

go, I will rejoin you.”
走吧,我会马上跟上你。”

Milady ran up to her apartment quickly: she there found Rochefort’s lackey, and gave him his instructions.
米莱迪迅速跑到她的公寓,那里找到了罗切福特的仆役,并给了他指示。

He was to wait at the gate; if by chance the Musketeers should appear, the carriage was to set off as fast as possible, pass around the convent, and go and wait for Milady at a little village which was situated at the other side of the wood. —
他要在大门口等待;如果侥幸麻鹰骑士出现,马车就要尽快启程,绕过修道院,去一个位于树林另一侧的小村庄等候米莱迪。 —

In this case Milady would cross the garden and gain the village on foot. —
在这种情况下,米莱迪会穿过花园,步行前往村庄。 —

As we have already said, Milady was admirably acquainted with this part of France.
正如我们已经说过的,米莱迪对法国这一地区极为熟悉。

If the Musketeers did not appear, things were to go on as had been agreed; —
如果麻鹰骑士没有露面,事情就会按照约定进行; —

Mme. Bonacieux was to get into the carriage as if to bid her adieu, and she was to take away Mme. Bonacieux.
波纳谢夫夫人会上车,好像是为了和她告别,然后将波纳谢夫夫人带走。

Mme. Bonacieux came in; and to remove all suspicion, if she had any, Milady repeated to the lackey, before her, the latter part of her instructions.
波纳谢夫夫人进来了;为了消除一切疑虑,如果她有的话,米莱迪在她面前重复了她的指示的后半部分。

Milady asked some questions about the carriage. —
米莱迪询问了一些关于马车的问题。 —

It was a chaise drawn by three horses, driven by a postillion; —
那是一辆由三匹马拉的轿车,由车夫驾驶; —

Rochefort’s lackey would precede it, as courier.
罗切福特的仆役会在前面作为信使。

Milady was wrong in fearing that Mme. Bonacieux would have any suspicion. —
米莱迪错了,以为波纳谢夫夫人会产生任何怀疑。 —

The poor young woman was too pure to suppose that any female could be guilty of such perfidy; —
可怜的年轻女人太纯洁了,以至于无法想象任何女性会犯下如此背叛的行为; —

besides, the name of the Comtesse de Winter, which she had heard the abbess pronounce, was wholly unknown to her, and she was even ignorant that a woman had had so great and so fatal a share in the misfortune of her life.
此外,修女发出的那位德文特女伯爵的名字,她完全不认识,甚至不知道一个女人对她一生的不幸有如此巨大而致命的影响。

“You see,” said she, when the lackey had gone out, “everything is ready. —
“你看,”她说,当仆役走出去后,“一切都准备好了。 —

The abbess suspects nothing, and believes that I am taken by order of the cardinal. —
修女一点都没察觉,她相信我是根据主教的命令被带走的。 —

This man goes to give his last orders; take the least thing, drink a finger of wine, and let us be gone.”
这个人去发最后的命令;拿点吃的,喝一口酒,然后我们就走吧。”

“Yes,” said Mme. Bonacieux, mechanically, “yes, let us be gone.”
“是的,”波纳谢太太机械地说,“是的,我们走吧。”

Milady made her a sign to sit down opposite, poured her a small glass of Spanish wine, and helped her to the wing of a chicken.
米莱迪示意她坐到对面,给她倒了一小杯西班牙酒,然后分给她一块鸡翅。

“See,” said she, “if everything does not second us! Here is night coming on; —
“看,”她说,“一切都在配合我们!现在天色渐暗; —

by daybreak we shall have reached our retreat, and nobody can guess where we are. —
天亮前我们就会到达藏身之处,没有人能猜到我们在哪里。 —

Come, courage! take something.”
来,勇敢点!吃点东西。”

Mme. Bonacieux ate a few mouthfuls mechanically, and just touched the glass with her lips.
波纳谢太太机械地吃了几口,只是碰了碰杯子的唇边。

“Come, come!” said Milady, lifting hers to her mouth, “do as I do.”
“来,来!”米莱迪把杯子送到她嘴边,“像我一样。”

But at the moment the glass touched her lips, her hand remained suspended; —
但正当杯子碰到她嘴唇的时候,她的手停在了半空中; —

she heard something on the road which sounded like the rattling of a distant gallop. —
她听见路上传来了像远处奔驰的马蹄声。 —

Then it grew nearer, and it seemed to her, almost at the same time, that she heard the neighing of horses.
然后声音越来越近,她几乎同时听到了马的嘶鸣声。

This noise acted upon her joy like the storm which awakens the sleeper in the midst of a happy dream; she grew pale and ran to the window, while Mme. Bonacieux, rising all in a tremble, supported herself upon her chair to avoid falling. —
这个声音像是在她快乐的梦境中吵醒睡梦中人的暴风雨一样;她脸色苍白地跑向窗户,而波纳谢太太颤抖地站起来,借助椅子支撑着以避免摔倒。 —

Nothing was yet to be seen, only they heard the galloping draw nearer.
还看不到任何东西,只听到马蹄声越来越近。

“Oh, my God!” said Mme. Bonacieux, what is that noise?”
“我的天啊!”邦纳谢夫人说,“那是什么声音?”

“That of either our friends or our enemies,” said Milady, with her terrible coolness. —
“那要么是我们的朋友,要么是我们的敌人,”米莱迪冷静地说道。 —

“Stay where you are, I will tell you.”
“待在原地,我会告诉你的。”

Mme. Bonacieux remained standing, mute, motionless, and pale as a statue.
邦纳谢夫人站在那里,像雕像一样,说不出话来,一动不动,苍白无色。

The noise became louder; the horses could not be more than a hundred and fifty paces distant. —
声音变得越来越响,马匹不可能离得超过一百五十步。 —

If they were not yet to be seen, it was because the road made an elbow. —
如果他们还没有被看见,那是因为道路弯曲。 —

The noise became so distinct that the horses might be counted by the rattle of their hoofs.
声音变得如此清晰,从马蹄的咔嗒声中可以数清马匹的数量。

Milady gazed with all the power of her attention; —
米莱迪尽全力用注意力看去; —

it was just light enough for her to see who was coming.
现在的光线刚好让她看清楚是谁来了。

All at once, at the turning of the road she saw the glitter of laced hats and the waving of feathers; she counted two, then five, then eight horsemen. —
突然间,在路的转角处,她看见了闪闪发亮的带子和飘动的羽毛;她数了两个,然后五个,接着是八个骑士。 —

One of them preceded the rest by double the length of his horse.
其中一个领先其他人,马匹超过他的两倍。

Milady uttered a stifled groan. In the first horseman she recognized D’Artagnan.
米莱迪发出了一声抑制不住的呻吟。在第一个骑士中,她认出了达达尼昂。

“Oh, my God, my God,” cried Mme. Bonacieux, “what is it?”
“我的天啊,我的天啊,”邦纳谢夫人喊道,“发生了什么?”

“It is the uniform of the cardinal’s Guards. Not an instant to be lost! Fly, fly!”
“那是红衣主教护卫队的制服。不容有失!快跑,快跑!”

“Yes, yes, let us fly!” repeated Mme. Bonacieux, but without being able to make a step, glued as she was to the spot by terror.
“是的,是的,让我们逃吧!”邦纳谢夫人重复道,但因为恐惧而无法迈出一步,像被恐惧定在原地一样。

They heard the horsemen pass under the windows.
他们听到骑手们在窗下经过。

“Come, then, come, then!” cried Milady, trying to drag the young woman along by the arm. —
“快来,快来!”米莱迪大声说着,试图抓住年轻女子的胳膊。 —

“Thanks to the garden, we yet can flee; I have the key, but make haste! —
“多亏了花园,我们还可以逃走;我有钥匙,但要快!在五分钟内就太迟了!” —

in five minutes it will be too late!”
在那一瞬间,他们听到了马车的轰鸣声,马斯凯特们赶过来。

Mme. Bonacieux tried to walk, made two steps, and sank upon her knees. —
邦娜雪克斯试图站起来走路,迈了两步,就跪倒在地。 —

Milady tried to raise and carry her, but could not do it.
米莱迪努力想抬起她,但做不到。

At this moment they heard the rolling of the carriage, which at the approach of the Musketeers set off at a gallop. —
就在这时,他们听到了车厢的声音,随着近距离的马士兵飞奔而来。 —

Then three or four shots were fired.
接着响起了三四声枪响。

“For the last time, will you come?” cried Milady.
“最后一次,你会来吗?”米莱迪喊道。

“Oh, my God, my God! you see my strength fails me; you see plainly I cannot walk. Flee alone!”
“哦,我的上帝,我的上帝!你看到我力气耗尽了;你明明看到我不能走。独自逃走吧!”

“Flee alone, and leave you here? No, no, never!” cried Milady.
“独自逃走,留下你在这里?不,不,永远不!”米莱迪喊道。

All at once she paused, a livid flash darted from her eyes; —
突然她停顿了一下,她眼中闪过一道苍白的光芒; —

she ran to the table, emptied into Mme. Bonacieux’s glass the contents of a ring which she opened with singular quickness. —
她跑到桌子旁,迅速打开一个戒指,并将里面的东西倒进了波纳谢夫人的杯子里。 —

It was a grain of a reddish color, which dissolved immediately.
那是一粒红色的颗粒,立即溶解了。

Then, taking the glass with a firm hand, she said, “Drink. This wine will give you strength, drink!” —
然后,她用坚定的手拿起玻璃杯说道,“喝吧。这杯酒会给你力量,喝吧!” —

And she put the glass to the lips of the young woman, who drank mechanically.
她把杯子放到年轻女子的嘴唇上,后者机械地喝了下去。

“This is not the way that I wished to avenge myself,” said Milady, replacing the glass upon the table, with an infernal smile, “but, my faith! —
“这不是我想要报复的方式,”米莱迪带着一丝恶魔般的微笑放回到桌上的酒杯说道,“可是,信仰! —

we do what we can!” And she rushed out of the room.
我们尽力而为!”说完,她冲出房间。

Mme. Bonacieux saw her go without being able to follow her; —
波纳谢夫夫人看着她离开,无法跟随她; —

she was like people who dream they are pursued, and who in vain try to walk.
她就像是被追赶的人,徒劳地试图行走。

A few moments passed; a great noise was heard at the gate. —
过了几分钟,大门处传来一阵巨大的噪音。 —

Every instant Mme. Bonacieux expected to see Milady, but she did not return. —
每时每刻,波纳西厄夫人都期待着见到米莱迪,但她没有回来。 —

Several times, with terror, no doubt, the cold sweat burst from her burning brow.
几次,她惊恐地从灼热的额头上冒出冷汗。

At length she heard the grating of the hinges of the opening gates; —
最后,她听到了开放大门的铰链摩擦声音; —

the noise of boots and spurs resounded on the stairs. —
靴子和马刺的声音在楼梯上回响。 —

There was a great murmur of voices which continued to draw near, amid which she seemed to hear her own name pronounced.
有着大量声音的低语声持续靠近,她似乎听到了自己的名字被提及。

All at once she uttered a loud cry of joy, and darted toward the door; she had recognized the voice of D’Artagnan.
她突然发出欢乐的大喊声,冲向门口;她认出了达达尼安的声音。

“D’Artagnan! D’Artagnan!” cried she, “is it you? This way! this way!”
“达达尼安!达达尼安!”她叫道,“是你吗?这边!这边!”

“Constance? Constance?” replied the young man, “where are you? where are you? My God!”
“康斯坦丝?康斯坦丝?”年轻人回答道,“你在哪里?你在哪里?天啊!”

At the same moment the door of the cell yielded to a shock, rather than opened; —
就在同一时刻,牢房的门被震动而非打开; —

several men rushed into the chamber. Mme. Bonacieux had sunk into an armchair, without the power of moving.
几个人冲进房间。波纳西厄夫人沉入了一把扶手椅内,无法动弹。

D’Artagnan threw down a yet-smoking pistol which he held in his hand, and fell on his knees before his mistress. —
达达尼安放下了他手中的仍冒着烟的手枪,跪在姑娘面前。 —

Athos replaced his in his belt; Porthos and Aramis, who held their drawn swords in their hands, returned them to their scabbards.
阿索斯将他的枪放回腰间;波尔多和亚拉米斯,手握剑在手,将剑重新插入剑鞘。

“Oh, D’Artagnan, my beloved D’Artagnan! You have come, then, at last! —
“哦,达达尼安,我心爱的达达尼安!你终于来了!” —

You have not deceived me! It is indeed thee!”
“你没有欺骗我!确实是你!”

“Yes, yes, Constance. Reunited!”
“是的,是的,康斯坦丝。团聚了!”

“Oh, it was in vain she told me you would not come! I hoped in silence. —
“哦,她告诉我你不会来是徒劳的!我默默地抱着希望。 —

I was not willing to fly. Oh, I have done well! How happy I am!”
我不愿意逃跑。哦,我做得很好!我有多开心!”

At this word SHE, Athos, who had seated himself quietly, started up.
在听到“她”这个词时,静静坐着的阿多斯突然站了起来。

“SHE! What she?” asked D’Artagnan.
“她!是哪个她?”达达尼昂问道。

“Why, my companion. She who out of friendship for me wished to take me from my persecutors. —
“是我的同伴。那位出于对我友谊的友好,希望将我从迫害者手中解救出来的人。 —

She who, mistaking you for the cardinal’s Guards, has just fled away.”
误将你们当作红衣主教卫兵,刚刚逃走的人。”

“Your companion!” cried D’Artagnan, becoming more pale than the white veil of his mistress. —
“你的同伴!”达达尼昂喊道,比他的情人的白色面纱还要苍白。 —

“Of what companion are you speaking, dear Constance?”
“你在说哪位同伴,亲爱的康斯坦斯?”

“Of her whose carriage was at the gate; of a woman who calls herself your friend; —
“是那位马车停在大门口的人;一个自称是你的朋友的女人; —

of a woman to whom you have told everything.”
那个你已经把一切都告诉过的女人。”

“Her name, her name!” cried D’Artagnan. “My God, can you not remember her name?”
“她的名字,她的名字!”达达尼昂喊道。“我的天,你难道记不得她的名字吗?”

“Yes, it was pronounced in my hearing once. —
“是的,有一次我听到过她的名字。 —

Stop–but–it is very strange–oh, my God, my head swims! I cannot see!”
等等——但——这太奇怪了——哦,我的天哪,我的头晕!我看不见了!”

“Help, help, my friends! her hands are icy cold,” cried D’Artagnan. —
“帮忙,帮忙,我的朋友们!她的手冰凉透彻,”达达尼昂喊道。 —

“She is ill! Great God, she is losing her senses!”
“她病了!天哪,她要失去意识了!”

While Porthos was calling for help with all the power of his strong voice, Aramis ran to the table to get a glass of water; —
当波尔多斯用他那雄厚的声音呼救时,阿拉米斯跑向桌子拿了一杯水; —

but he stopped at seeing the horrible alteration that had taken place in the countenance of Athos, who, standing before the table, his hair rising from his head, his eyes fixed in stupor, was looking at one of the glasses, and appeared a prey to the most horrible doubt.
但他停下来看到了阿索斯脸上发生的可怕变化,他站在桌子前,头发直竖,目瞪口呆地看着一杯玻璃,似乎受到了最可怕的怀疑。

“Oh1’ said Athos, “oh, no, it is impossible! God would not permit such a crime!”
“哦,不,这不可能!上帝不会容许这样的罪行!”

“Water, water!” cried D’Artagnan. “Water!”
“水,水!”达达尼安喊道。“水!”

“Oh, poor woman, poor woman!” murmured Athos, in a broken voice.
“哦,可怜的女人,可怜的女人!”阿索斯失声说道。

Mme. Bonacieux opened her eyes under the kisses of D’Artagnan.
随着达达尼安的吻,梅·博纳谢回过神来。

“She revives!” cried the young man. “Oh, my God, my God, I thank thee!”
“她苏醒了!”年轻人喊道。“哦,我的上帝,我感谢你!”

“Madame!” said Athos, “madame, in the name of heaven, whose empty glass is this?”
“夫人!”阿索斯说,“夫人,请您说,这个空杯是谁的?”

“Mine, monsieur,” said the young woman, in a dying voice.
“我的,先生,”年轻女人说,声音已经快要断了。

“But who poured the wine for you that was in this glass?”
“但是谁给你倒的这杯里的酒?”

“She.”
“她。”

“But who is SHE?”
“但是她是谁?”

“Oh, I remember!” said Mme. Bonacieux, “the Comtesse de Winter.”
“哦,我记起了!”梅·博纳谢说,”德·温特伯爵夫人。

The four friends uttered one and the same cry, but that of Athos dominated all the rest.
四位朋友同时发出了同样的呼声,但阿索斯的声音盖过了其他人。

At that moment the countenance of Mme. Bonacieux became livid; —
就在那时,梅·博纳谢的脸色变得苍白; —

a fearful agony pervaded her frame, and she sank panting into the arms of Porthos and Aramis.
一种可怕的痛苦笼罩着她的身体,她喘着气倒在了波尔多斯和阿拉米斯的怀中。

D’Artagnan seized the hands of Athos with an anguish difficult to be described.
达达尼昂握住阿多斯的手,一种难以描述的痛苦感折磨着他。

“And what do you believe?’ His voice was stifled by sobs.
“你相信什么?”他的声音被哭声所淹没。

“I believe everything,” said Athos biting his lips till the blood sprang to avoid sighing.
“我什么都相信,”阿多斯说着,咬住嘴唇以避免叹息。

“D’Artagnan, D’Artagnan!” cried Mme. Bonacieux, “where art thou? Do not leave me! —
“达达尼昂,达达尼昂!”玛德琳夫人喊道,“你在哪?不要离开我!你看我将死了!” —

You see I am dying!”
你看,我快死了!

D’Artagnan released the hands of Athos which he still held clasped in both his own, and hastened to her. —
达达尼昂松开了阿多斯的手,他双手紧握着的手,赶紧向她走去。 —

Her beautiful face was distorted with agony; her glassy eyes had no longer their sight; —
她美丽的脸庞因痛苦而扭曲;她那呆滞的双眼失去了光芒; —

a convulsive shuddering shook her whole body; —
痉挛的颤抖使她浑身颤抖; —

the sweat rolled from her brow.
汗水从她的额头上滚落。

“In the name of heaven, run, call! Aramis! Porthos! Call for help!”
“天啊,快跑,求救!阿拉米斯!波尔多斯!快叫人来帮忙!”

“Useless!” said Athos, “useless! For the poison which SHE pours there is no antidote.”
“没用!”阿多斯说,“没用!对她注入的毒药没有解药。”

“Yes, yes! Help, help!” murmured Mme. Bonacieux; “help!”
“是的,是的!帮帮忙!”玛德琳夫人喃喃道,“帮帮忙!”

Then, collecting all her strength, she took the head of the young man between her hands, looked at him for an instant as if her whole soul passed into that look, and with a sobbing cry pressed her lips to his.
然后,她集中所有的力量,用双手托住年轻人的头,凝视了他一会儿,仿佛她的整个灵魂都融入到了那凝望中,然后啜泣着紧紧贴在他的嘴唇上。

“Constance, Constance!” cried D’Artagnan.
“康斯坦斯,康斯坦斯!”达达尼昂喊道。

A sigh escaped from the mouth of Mme. Bonacieux, and dwelt for an instant on the lips of D’Artagnan. —
从邦娜桥夫人的嘴唇间溜出一声叹息,停留在了达达尼昂的嘴唇上。 —

That sigh was the soul, so chaste and so loving, which reascended to heaven.
这叹息是那纯洁而充满爱的灵魂,升上了天堂。

D’Artagnan pressed nothing but a corpse in his arms. —
达达尼昂怀里的只是一具尸体。 —

The young man uttered a cry, and fell by the side of his mistress as pale and as icy as herself.
那年轻人发出一声惊叫,就像她一样苍白、冰冷地倒在了她身边。

Porthos wept; Aramis pointed toward heaven; Athos made the sign of the cross.
波托斯哭了起来;亚拉米斯指向了天空;阿多斯做了十字记号。

At that moment a man appeared in the doorway, almost as pale as those in the chamber. —
此刻,一个男人出现在门口,几乎和房间里的人一样苍白。 —

He looked around him and saw Mme. Bonacieux dead, and D’Artagnan in a swoon. —
他环顾四周,看到邦娜桥夫人已经死了,达达尼昂又昏厥在一旁。 —

He appeared just at that moment of stupor which follows great catastrophes.
他出现在了这个大灾难后的那种麻木的时刻。

“I was not deceived,” said he; “here is Monsieur D’Artagnan; —
“我没有看错,”他说,“这就是达达尼昂先生; —

and you are his friends, Messieurs Athos, Porthos, and Aramis.”
而你们是他的朋友,阿多斯先生、波托斯先生和亚拉米斯先生。”

The persons whose names were thus pronounced looked at the stranger with astonishment. —
听到自己的名字被提及,这三个人都惊讶地看向这个陌生人。 —

It seemed to all three that they knew him.
似乎所有三个人都觉得认识他。

“Gentlemen,” resumed the newcomer, “you are, as I am, in search of a woman who,” added he, with a terrible smile, “must have passed this way, for I see a corpse.”
“先生们,”这位新来者继续说,“你们和我一样在寻找一位女人,”他带着一抹可怕的微笑补充说,“她必定经过这里,因为我见到了一具尸体。”

The three friends remained mute-for although the voice as well as the countenance reminded them of someone they had seen, they could not remember under what circumstances.
这三位朋友保持沉默——尽管这个人的声音和面容让他们觉得在某处见过,他们却想不起是在什么情况下。

“Gentlemen,” continued the stranger, “since you do not recognize a man who probably owes his life to you twice, I must name myself. —
“先生们,”陌生人继续说,“既然你们不认出一位可能曾经两次得救于你们之手的男人,我必须自我介绍。 —

I am Lord de Winter, brother-in-law of THAT WOMAN.”
我是德·温特勋爵,THAT WOMAN的姐夫。

The three friends uttered a cry of surprise.
三位朋友惊叫一声。

Athos rose, and offering him his hand, “Be welcome, my Lord,” said he, “you are one of us.”
阿多斯起身,伸出手,“欢迎,我的勋爵,”他说,“你是我们中的一员。”

“I set out five hours after her from Portsmouth,” said Lord de Winter. —
“我从朴茨茅斯出发五个小时后,”德·温特勋爵说。 —

“I arrived three hours after her at Boulogne. —
“我在布洛润比她晚到三个小时。 —

I missed her by twenty minutes at St. Omer. Finally, at Lilliers I lost all trace of her. —
我在圣奥梅错过了她二十分钟。最后,在利利耶尔我完全失去了她的踪迹。 —

I was going about at random, inquiring of everybody, when I saw you gallop past. —
我在随便询问的时候,看见你飞驰而过。 —

I recognized Monsieur d’Artagnan. I called to you, but you did not answer me; —
我认出了达达尼昂先生。我呼唤你,但你没有回答我; —

I wished to follow you, but my horse was too much fatigued to go at the same pace with yours. —
我想跟随你,但我的马太累了,跟不上你的速度。 —

And yet it appears, in spite of all your diligence, you have arrived too late.”
可是,似乎尽管你尽了全力,你还是来晚了。”

“You see!” said Athos, pointing to Mme. Bonacieux dead, and to D’Artagnan, whom Porthos and Aramis were trying to recall to life.
“你看!”阿多斯指着躺着的玛德琳·博纳修莉和四处试图救醒达达尼昂的波尔索斯和阿拉密斯。

“Are they both dead?” asked Lord de Winter, sternly.
“他们俩都死了吗?”德·温特勋爵严肃地问。

“No,” replied Athos, “fortunately Monsieur d’Artagnan has only fainted.”
“没有,”阿多斯回答,“幸运的是,达达尼昂先生只是晕倒了。”

“Ah, indeed, so much the better!” said Lord de Winter.
“哦,的确,那就太好了!”德·温特勋爵说。

At that moment D’Artagnan opened his eyes. —
就在那时,达达尼昂睁开了眼睛。 —

He tore himself from the arms of Porthos and Aramis, and threw himself like a madman on the corpse of his mistress.
他从波尔多和阿拉米斯的臂膀中挣脱出来,像疯子一样扑向他的情妇尸体。

Athos rose, walked toward his friend with a slow and solemn step, embraced him tenderly, and as he burst into violent sobs, he said to him with his noble and persuasive voice, “Friend, be a man! —
阿多斯站起来,缓慢而庄重地朝他的朋友走去,热情地拥抱了他,当他放声痛哭时,他用他高贵而有说服力的声音对他说:“朋友,要做一个男人! —

Women weep for the dead; men avenge them!”
女人为死者哭泣;男人为他们复仇!”

“Oh, yes!” cried D’Artagnan, “yes! If it be to avenge her, I am ready to follow you.”
“哦,是的!”达达尼安喊道,“是的!如果是为了复仇,我愿意跟随你。”

Athos profited by this moment of strength which the hope of vengeance restored to his unfortunate friend to make a sign to Porthos and Aramis to go and fetch the superior.
阿多斯利用这一刻希望复仇带给他不幸的朋友的力量,向波尔多和阿拉米斯做了一个手势,让他们去找主持。

The two friends met her in the corridor, greatly troubled and much upset by such strange events; —
两位朋友在走廊里遇见了她,她对如此奇怪的事件感到深感不安和深深困扰; —

she called some of the nuns, who against all monastic custom found themselves in the presence of five men.
她召集了一些修女,违反了所有的修道院规定,让她们面对着五名男子。

“Madame,” said Athos, passing his arm under that of D’Artagnan, “we abandon to your pious care the body of that unfortunate woman. —
“夫人”,阿多斯伸出手臂搁在达达尼安身上,“我们把那个不幸的女人的尸体交给你,你用你虔诚的关心来对待她。 —

She was an angel on earth before being an angel in heaven. —
她在天上成为一个天使之前曾是地上的一个天使。 —

Treat her as one of your sisters. We will return someday to pray over her grave.”
对待她如姐妹般。我们终有一天会回来在她的坟墓上祈祷。”

D’Artagnan concealed his face in the bosom of Athos, and sobbed aloud.
达达尼安把脸藏在阿多斯的胸膛里,大声啜泣。

“Weep,” said Athos, “weep, heart full of love, youth, and life! Alas, would I could weep like you!”
“哭吧”,阿多斯说,“哭吧,充满爱心、青春和生命的心!唉,但愿我也能像你一样哭泣!”

And he drew away his friend, as affectionate as a father, as consoling as a priest, noble as a man who has suffered much.
他拉开他的朋友,像一个慈爱的父亲,像一个安慰人的牧师,像一个受过很多苦难的高贵的人。

All five, followed by their lackeys leading their horses, took their way to the town of Bethune, whose outskirts they perceived, and stopped before the first inn they came to.
五人和他们的仆人引着马,在路过的伯蒂尼镇附近发现了一家客栈,并在他们遇到的第一家客栈前停了下来。

“But,” said D’Artagnan, “shall we not pursue that woman?”
“可是,”达达尼安说,“我们不追那个女人吗?”

“Later,” said Athos. “I have measures to take.”
“晚些时候,”阿多斯说。“我有措施要采取。”

“She will escape us,” replied the young man; “she will escape us, and it will be your fault, Athos.”
“她会脱逃的,”年轻人回答道。“她会脱逃的,那将是你的错,阿多斯。”

“I will be accountable for her,” said Athos.
“我会对她负责的,”阿多斯说。

D’Artagnan had so much confidence in the word of his friend that he lowered his head, and entered the inn without reply.
达达尼对他朋友的话很有信心,低头进了旅店,没有回答。

Porthos and Aramis regarded each other, not understanding this assurance of Athos.
波尔索和阿拉米斯互相看着,不理解阿多斯的这种保证。

Lord de Winter believed he spoke in this manner to soothe the grief of D’Artagnan.
德•温特勋爵相信他这样说是为了安慰达达尼的悲伤。

“Now, gentlemen,” said Athos, when he had ascertained there were five chambers free in the hotel, “let everyone retire to his own apartment. —
“现在,各位先生们,”阿多斯说,当他确定旅馆有五间空房时。“让每个人退回自己的房间。 —

D’Artagnan needs to be alone, to weep and to sleep. —
达达尼需要独处,哭泣和睡觉。 —

I take charge of everything; be easy.”
我会负责一切;放心吧。”

“It appears, however,” said Lord de Winter, “if there are any measures to take against the countess, it concerns me; —
“然而看起来,”德•温特勋爵说,“如果要采取任何措施对付伯爵夫人,那涉及到我; —

she is my sister-in-law.”
她是我夫兄的妹妹。”

“And me,” said Athos,–she is my wife!”
“还有我,”阿多斯说,-她是我的妻子!”

D’Artagnan smiled–for he understood that Athos was sure of his vengeance when he revealed such a secret. —
达达尼微笑了–因为他明白阿多斯揭示这样一个秘密时对报复很有把握。 —

Porthos and Aramis looked at each other, and grew pale. —
波尔索和阿拉米斯相视而白了脸。 —

Lord de Winter thought Athos was mad.
德•温特勋爵认为阿多斯疯了。

“Now, retire to your chambers,” said Athos, “and leave me to act. —
“现在,你退下,回到你的房间,” 阿多斯说道,”让我来处理这件事。 —

You must perceive that in my quality of a husband this concerns me. —
你必须明白,作为丈夫,这关系到我。 —

Only, D’Artagnan, if you have not lost it, give me the paper which fell from that man’s hat, upon which is written the name of the village of–”
只是,达达尼昂,如果你还没有弄丢,把那个从那个人帽子上掉下来的纸给我,上面写着那个村庄的名字-”

“Ah,” said D’Artagnan, “I comprehend! that name written in her hand.”
“啊,” 达达尼昂说道,”我明白了!那个名字是她写的。

“You see, then,” said Athos, :there is a god in heaven still!”
“你看,” 阿多斯说: “在天上还有一个神!”