“HIST! Did you hear that noise, Cabaco?
“嘘!卡巴科,你听到那声音了吗?”

It was the middle-watch: a fair moonlight; —
这是午夜中更,月光明亮; —

the seamen were standing in a cordon, extending from one of the fresh-water butts in the waist, to the scuttle-butt near the taffrail. —
水手们站成一排,从甲板中部的淡水桶延伸到尾部的水桶。 —

In this manner, they passed the buckets to fill the scuttle-butt. —
他们这样传递桶,将水灌进水桶。 —

Standing, for the most part, on the hallowed precincts of the quarter-deck, they were careful not to speak or rustle their feet. —
大部分时间站在甲板上神圣的区域,他们小心翼翼地不说话或踢脚。 —

From hand to hand, the buckets went in the deepest silence, only broken by the occasional flap of a sail, and the steady hum of the unceasingly advancing keel.
桶被悄无声息地从手到手传递,只有偶尔的帆布拍打声以及不断前进的龙骨发出的持续的嗡嗡声。

It was in the midst of this repose, that Archy, one of the cordon, whose post was near the after-hatches, whispered to his neighbor, a Cholo, the words above.
就在这个安宁时刻,一个名叫阿奇的水手,他的位置靠近船舱后部,对他的邻居楚洛低声说出了上面的话。

“Hist! did you hear that noise, Cabaco?”
“嘘!卡巴科,你听到那声音了吗?”

“Take the bucket, will ye, Archy? what noise d’ye mean?”
“拿桶,阿奇,你说的声音是什么意思?”

“There it is again–under the hatches–don’t you hear it–a cough– it sounded like a cough.”
“那里又有了–在甲板下面–你没有听到吗–像是咳嗽的声音。”

“Cough be damned! Pass along that return bucket.”
“该死的咳嗽!把桶传过来。”

“There again–there it is!–it sounds like two or three sleepers turning over, now!”
“又来了–再次出现了!听起来像是两三个翻身的睡觉的人!”

“Caramba! have done, shipmate, will ye? It’s the three soaked biscuits ye eat for supper turning over inside of ye–nothing else. —
“天哪!闭嘴,同伴,行吗?那是你晚餐吃的那三块浸泡了的饼干在你肚子里翻身而已–别的什么。” —

Look to the bucket!”
“看着桶吧!”

“Say what ye will, shipmate; I’ve sharp ears.”
“说什么都行,同伴;我耳朵尖。”

“Aye, you are the chap, ain’t ye, that heard the hum of the old Quakeress’s knitting-needles fifty miles at sea from Nantucket; you’re the chap.”
“是的,你就是那位,在海上五十英里外的南塔基特听到老贵格派女士的编织针声响的人,你就是那位。”

“Grin away; we’ll see what turns up. Hark ye, Cabaco, there is somebody down in the after-hold that has not yet been seen on deck; —
“咧嘴笑吧;我们会看到会有什么发生。听着,卡巴科,船舱下面有人还没在甲板上露面; —

and I suspect our old Mogul knows something of it too. —
我怀疑我们那位老莫卡知道些什么。 —

I heard Stubb tell Flask, one morning watch, that there was something of that sort in the wind.”
我听到斯塔布一个早晨看守时段告诉弗拉斯克,有风吹草动。”

“Tish! the bucket!”
“嘘!桶子!”