The cabin; by the stern windows; Ahab sitting alone, and gazing out.
小屋;在船尾窗子旁边;阿哈伯独自坐着,凝视着外面。

I leave a white and turbid wake; pale waters, paler cheeks, where’er I sail. —
我留下一道白色而浑浊的尾流;无论我驶向何方,水面苍白,脸颊更白。 —

The envious billows sidelong swell to whelm my track; let them; but first I pass.
羡慕的波浪斜向涌来,欲吞没我的航迹;让它们吧,但我先要经过。

Yonder, by the ever-brimming goblet’s rim, the warm waves blush like wine. —
在那边,由于始终溢满的酒杯边缘,温暖的波浪变得像美酒般红润。 —

The gold brow plumbs the blue. The diver sun– slow dived from noon–goes down; my soul mounts up! —
黄金般的眉毛插在碧波中。太阳潜水员——从正午慢慢潜下去——我灵魂飞升! —

she wearies with her endless hill. Is, then, the crown too heavy that I wear? —
她因无休止的山劳累而厌倦。那么,我戴的王冠是否太重? —

this Iron Crown of Lombardy. Yet is it bright with many a gem; —
这是伦巴第的铁皇冠。然而它闪烁着许多宝石; —

I the wearer, see not its far flashings; —
戴者的我,看不见它遥远的闪光; —

but darkly feel that I wear that, that dazzlingly confounds. ‘Tis iron–that I know–not gold. —
但暗淡地感受到我戴着那个,令人眩目而困扰的东西。这是铁的——我知道——不是金的。 —

‘Tis split, too–that I feel; the jagged edge galls me so, my brain seems to beat against the solid metal; —
它还裂开了——我感到;锯齿状的边沿让我如此受折磨,我的大脑似乎在固体金属上猛撞; —

aye, steel skull, mine; the sort that needs no helmet in the most brain-battering fight!
是的,我的头部是钢的;这种头部在最激烈的战斗中不需要头盔!

Dry heat upon my brow? Oh! time was, when as the sunrise nobly spurred me, so the sunset soothed. —
额头上的干燥热?噢!曾经,正如日出激励我一样,日落也曾哄我入睡。 —

No more. This lovely light, it lights not me; —
不再。这美丽的光芒,它并不能照亮我; —

all loveliness is anguish to me, since I can ne’er enjoy. —
所有美丽对我来说都是痛苦,因为我永远无法享受。 —

Gifted with the high perception, I lack the low, enjoying power; —
被赋予高尚的感知能力,我缺乏低贱的享受能力; —

damned, most subtly and most malignantly! damned in the midst of Paradise! —
该死,最微妙,最恶毒!在天堂之中被诅咒! —

Good night–good night! (waving his hand, he moves from the window.)
晚安–晚安!(挥手,他离开窗口。)

‘Twas not so hard a task. I thought to find one stubborn, at the least; —
这并不是什么难事。我本以为至少会有一个固执的人; —

but my one cogged circle fits into all their various wheels, and they revolve. —
但我的一个齿圈适应了他们所有不同的轮子,它们一起转动。 —

Or, if you will, like so many ant-hills of powder, they all stand before me; and I their match. —
或者,如果你愿意的话,就像许多火药蚁丘,他们都站在我面前;我是它们的对手。 —

Oh, hard! that to fire others, the match itself must needs be wasting! —
噢,难啊!要点燃别人,火柴自己必定会被消耗! —

What I’ve dared, I’ve willed; and what I’ve willed, I’ll do! They think me mad– Starbuck does; —
我所敢做的,我已经决心了;我所决心的,我会去做!他们认为我疯了–斯达巴克认为; —

but I’m demoniac, I am madness maddened! That wild madness that’s only calm to comprehend itself! —
但我是恶魔,我是狂热!那种只有能冷静理解自己的狂热! —

The prophecy was that I should be dismembered; and–Aye! I lost this leg. —
预言说我会被分解;而–是的!我失去了这条腿。 —

I now prophesy that I will dismember my dismemberer. —
现在我预言我会分解我的分解者。 —

Now, then, be the prophet and the fulfiller one. That’s more than ye, ye great gods, ever were. —
现在,做先知和实现者为一体。这比你们,伟大的神灵们,曾经做过的更超越。 —

I laugh and hoot at ye, ye cricket-players, ye pugilists, ye deaf Burkes and blinded Bendigoes! —
我对你们笑,向你们嘲弄,蟋蟀们,拳击手们,聋聊的伯克和盲目的本迪戈! —

I will not say as schoolboys do to bullies–Take some one of your own size; don’t pommel me! —
我不会像小学生对待恶霸那样说–找一个你们同样高的人来对付;不要揍我! —

No, ye’ve knocked me down, and I am up again; but ye have run and hidden. —
不,你们把我打倒了,但我又站起来了;但你们却逃跑了,躲藏起来。 —

Come forth from behind your cotton bags! I have no long gun to reach ye. —
从你们的棉袋后面出来!我没有长枪来打到你们。 —

Come, Ahab’s compliments to ye; come and see if ye can swerve me. Swerve me? —
来吧,阿哈布向你问好;来看看你能否使我偏离。使我偏离? —

ye cannot swerve me, else ye swerve yourselves! man has ye there. Swerve me? —
你无法使我偏离,否则你们会使自己偏离!人家抓住你们了。使我偏离? —

The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run. —
通往我坚定目标的道路铺设着铁轨,我的灵魂沟槽上了运行的痕迹。 —

Over unsounded gorges, through the rifled hearts of mountains, under torrents’ beds, unerringly I rush! —
跨越无底的峡谷,穿过被扒开的山脉心脏,穿过激流之下,我奔驰不误! —

Naught’s an obstacle, naught’s an angle to the iron way!
没有任何障碍,没有任何角度,这是铁路!