(Ahab moving to go on deck; Pip catches him by the hand to follow.)
(艾哈伯走向甲板;皮普拉住他的手跟随。)

Lad, lad, I tell thee thou must not follow Ahab now. —
小伙子,小伙子,我告诉你,你现在不能跟着艾哈伯。 —

The hour is coming when Ahab would not scare thee from him, yet would not have thee by him. —
时刻将会到来,艾哈伯既不会吓到你,也不会让你靠近他。 —

There is that in thee, poor lad, which I feel too curing to my malady. Like cures like; —
你身上有某种东西,可怜的孩子,我感觉它对我的病有疗效。疗法疗法; —

and for this hunt, my malady becomes my most desired health. —
对于这次捕猎,我的病症成了我最渴望的健康。 —

Do thou abide below here, where they shall serve thee, as if thou wert the captain. —
你在这里等着,他们会像对待船长一样对待你。 —

Aye, lad, thou shalt sit here in my own screwed chair; —
是的,孩子,你要坐在我自己的螺丝椅上; —

another screw to it, thou must be.”
再给它加一颗螺丝,你必须。”

“No, no, no! ye have not a whole body, sir; do ye but use poor me for your one lost leg; —
“不,不,不!先生,您没有完整的身体,难道您只把可怜的我当作您失去的一条腿吗; —

only tread upon me, sir; I ask no more, so I remain a part of ye.”
只是踩在我身上,先生;我不求更多,只要我依然是你的一部分。”

“Oh! spite of million villains, this makes me a bigot in the fadeless fidelity of man!–and a black! —
“哦!无数恶棍之间,这使我成为不朽的人类忠诚的偏执狂!——还有黑色! —

and crazy!–but methinks like-cures-like applies to him too; —
和疯狂!——但我觉得疗法疗法也适用于他; —

he grows so sane again.”
他变得越来越理智了。”

“They tell me, sir, that Stubb did once desert poor little Pip, whose drowned bones now show white, for all the blackness of his living skin. —
“他们告诉我,斯塔布曾经抛弃了可怜的小皮普,现在他那溺水后的白骨,展示出所有他生前皮肤的黑色。 —

But I will never desert ye, sir, as Stubb did him. Sir, I must go with ye.”
但我永远不会像斯塔布那样抛弃你,先生。先生,我必须和你一起去。”

“If thou speakest thus to me much more, Ahab’s purpose keels up in him. —
“如果你对我说了这么多,亚哈的目的就会在他身上倒退。 —

I tell thee no; it cannot be.”
“我告诉你不,这是不可能的。”

“Oh good master, master, master!
“哦好主人,主人,主人!

“Weep so, and I will murder thee! have a care, for Ahab too is mad. —
“哭吧,否则我就要杀了你!小心点,因为亚哈也疯了。 —

Listen, and thou wilt often hear my ivory foot upon the deck, and still know that I am there. —
“听着,你经常会听到我的象牙脚踏在甲板上,仍然知道我在那里。 —

And now I quit thee. Thy hand!–Met! True art thou, lad, as the circumference to its centre. So: —
“现在我要离开你了。你的手!握紧!你是真诚的,小伙子,如同周径到它的中心。就这样: —

God for ever bless thee; and if it come to that,– God for ever save thee, let what will befall.”
“上帝永远保佑着你;如果那一天真的到来,愿上帝永远拯救你,不管发生什么。”

(Ahab goes; Pip steps one step forward.)
(亚哈走了;皮普向前走了一步。)

“Here he this instant stood, I stand in his air,–but I’m alone. —
“他刚刚站在这里,现在我站在他留下的空气中,但我一个人。 —

Now were even poor Pip here I could endure it, but he’s missing. Pip! Pip! Ding, dong, ding! —
“即使可怜的皮普在这里,我也能忍受,但他失踪了。皮普!皮普!叮叮,咚! —

Who’s seen Pip? He must be up here; let’s try the door. What? neither lock, nor bolt, nor bar; —
“谁看到了皮普?他一定在这里上面;我们试试这扇门。什么?既没有锁,也没有门闩,也没有横木; —

and yet there’s no opening it. It must be the spell; he told me to stay here: —
“但却无法打开。一定是咒语;他告诉我留在这里: —

Aye, and told me this screwed chair was mine. —
“是的,他告诉我这把螺丝椅是我的。 —

Here, then, I’ll seat me, against the transom, in the ship’s full middle, all her keel and her three masts before me. —
“那么,我就坐在这里,靠在横梁上,在船的正中央,她的龙骨和三根桅杆在我面前。 —

Here, our old sailors say, in their black seventy-fours great admirals sometimes sit at table, and lord it over rows of captains and lieutenants. —
“在这里,我们的老水手说,在他们的黑色的七十四炮舰上,大将们有时会坐在桌旁,指挥一群上校和中尉。” —

Ha! what’s this? epaulets! epaulets! the epaulets all come crowding. Pass round the decanters; —
哈!这是什么?肩章!肩章!肩章全都聚在一起。把酒瓶递过来; —

glad to see ye; fill up, monsieurs! What an odd feeling, now, when a black boy’s host to white men with gold lace upon their coats! —
很高兴见到你们;来,先生们,倒满酒!现在感觉多奇怪啊,一个黑人男孩招待着身穿金边外套的白人! —

–Monsieurs, have ye seen one Pip?– a little negro lad, five feet high, hang-dog look, and cowardly! Jumped from a whale-boat once; —
–先生们,你们看到一个叫Pip的小黑人了吗?–个子五尺高,面容怯懦!曾经从一只鲸船跳下过; —

–seen him? No! Well then, fill up again, captains, and let’s drink shame upon all cowards! —
–看到他了吗?没有!那好吧,再斟满酒,船长们,让我们为所有懦夫干杯! —

I name no names. Shame upon them! Put one foot upon the table. Shame upon all cowards.–Hist! —
我不点名。对所有懦夫感到羞耻!把一只脚放在桌子上。对所有懦夫感到羞耻。–嘘! —

above there, I hear ivory– Oh, master! master! I am indeed down-hearted when you walk over me. —
上面,我听到象牙声音–哦,主人!主人!当你践踏在我身上时,我确实感到沮丧。 —

But here I’ll stay, though this stern strikes rocks; —
但我会留在这里,尽管这个严厉的打击会撞上礁石; —

and they bulge through; and oysters come to join me.”
它们会凸出来;牡蛎会来加入我。”