The Deck - First Night Watch
甲板上 - 第一夜之巡

(Carpenter standing before his vice-bench, and by the light of two lanterns busily filing the ivory joist for the leg, which joist is firmly fixed in the vice. —
(木匠站在夹子工作台前,两盏灯的光线下,忙着给固定在夹子中的象牙横梁上的腿进行锉削。) —

Slabs of ivory, leather straps, pads, screws, and various tools of all sorts lying about the bench. —
工作台上摆放着象牙板、皮革带、垫子、螺丝以及各种工具。 —

Forward, the red flame of the forge is seen, where the blacksmith is at work.)
前方熔炉处,锻工正在工作,红色的火焰在闪耀。

Drat the file, and drat the bone! That is hard which should be soft, and that is soft which should be hard. —
该死的锉刀,该死的骨头!硬的东西却应该是软的,软的东西却应该是硬的。 —

So we go, who file old jaws and shin bones. Let’s try another. —
我们就是这样,锉着老下巴和胫骨。试试另一个。 —

Aye, now, this works better (sneezes). Halloa, this bone dust is (sneezes)–why it’s (sneezes)–yes it’s (sneezes)–bless my soul, it won’t let me speak! —
啊,现在这个效果好多了(打喷嚏)。喂,这骨头粉(打喷嚏)–为什么会(打喷嚏)–是的,这是(打喷嚏)–求神保佑,我都说不出话来了! —

This is what an old fellow gets now for working in dead lumber. —
在死树木中工作的老家伙现在可惹上了麻烦。 —

Saw a live tree, and you don’t get this dust; amputate a live bone, and you don’t get it (sneezes). —
锯生的树木,你就不会有这股灰尘;截断生的骨头,你也不会有(打喷嚏)。 —

Come, come, you old Smut, there, bear a hand, and let’s have that ferrule and buckle-screw; —
来吧,你这老Smu,再帮帮忙,给我那个金属环和扣螺丝; —

I’ll be ready for them presently. Lucky now (sneezes) there’s no knee-joint to make; —
我很快就会准备好的。现在还算幸运(打喷嚏)没有需要制作的膝关节; —

that might puzzle a little; but a mere shin-bone–why it’s easy as making hop-poles; —
那可能会有点困难;但是一个简单的胫骨–做起来就像制作藤杆一样容易; —

only I should like to put a good finish on. Time, time; —
我只是想要做一份完美的工作。时间,时间; —

if I but only had the time, I could turn him out as neat a leg now as ever (sneezes) scraped to a lady in a parlor. —
如果我只有时间,我现在可以做出一条和(打喷嚏)商店橱窗中看到的那些麂皮腿和小腿比不了的优美腿来。 —

Those buckskin legs and calves of legs I’ve seen in shop windows wouldn’t compare at all. —
Those buckskin legs and calves of legs I’ve seen in shop windows wouldn’t compare at all. —

They soak water, they do; and of course get rheumatic, and have to be doctored (sneezes) with washes and lotions, just like live legs. —
它们吸水,确实会患风湿病,必须像真正的腿一样接受药物治疗(打喷嚏),用洗涤剂和药膏。 —

There; before I saw it off, now, I must call his old Mogulship, and see whether the length will be all right; —
在我锯断它之前,我必须去叫那位老莫卧尔皇帝,看看长度是否合适的; —

too short, if anything, I guess. Ha! that’s the heel; we are in luck; —
如果有的话,可能会太短。哈!那是脚跟;我们很幸运; —

here he comes, or it’s somebody else, that’s certain. AHAB (advancing)
他来了,或者是其他人,肯定是有人。艾哈伯(走过来)

(During the ensuing scene, the carpenter continues sneezing at times).
(在随后的场景中,木匠偶尔继续打喷嚏)。

Well, manmaker!
好了,制造人!

Just in time, sir. If the captain pleases, I will now mark the length. Let me measure, sir.
来得正好,先生。如果船长愿意的话,我现在就标记长度。让我来测量,先生。

Measured for a leg! good. Well, it’s not the first time. About it! There; keep thy finger on it. —
为了做一条腿!好。嗯,这不是第一次了。开始吧!你手指放在上面。 —

This is a cogent vice thou hast here, carpenter; —
木匠,你有一个有力的钳子; —

let me feel its grip once. So, so; it does pinch some.
让我感受一下它的紧握。嗯,嗯,确实有点夹人。

Oh, sir, it will break bones–beware, beware!
哦,先生,它会折断骨头——小心,小心!

No fear; I like a good grip; I like to feel something in this slippery world that can hold, man. —
别担心;我喜欢紧握;在这个滑溜的世界里,我喜欢感受到能够夹住人的东西。 —

What’s Prometheus about there?– the blacksmith, I mean–what’s he about?
普罗米修斯在那里忙什么?–我是说铁匠–他在忙什么?

He must be forging the buckle-screw, sir, now.
他现在一定在打造扣紧螺丝,先生。

Right. It’s a partnership; he supplies the muscle part. He makes a fierce red flame there!
对。这是一个合作关系;他提供了肌肉部分。他在那儿熔炼出一团猛烈的红焰!

Aye, sir; he must have the white heat for this kind of fine work.
是的,长官;他必须具备这种精细工作所需的炽热热情。

Um-m. So he must. I do deem it now a most meaning thing, that that old Greek, Prometheus, who made men, they say, should have been a blacksmith, and animated them with fire; —
嗯,是的。我现在觉得那位古老的希腊人普罗米修斯造人,他们说,应该是一个铁匠,并用火赋予生命; —

for what’s made in fire must properly belong to fire; and so hell’s probable. How the soot flies! —
因为用火制造的东西必须适当地归属于火;所以地狱很可能存在。灰尘飞扬! —

This must be the remainder the Greek made the Africans of. —
这应该是希腊人留给非洲人的余孽。 —

Carpenter, when he’s through with that buckle, tell him to forge a pair of steel shoulder-blades; —
木匠,当他完成那个扣环后,告诉他打造一双铁肩胛; —

there’s a pedlar aboard with a crushing pack.
船上有一个背着沉重背包的小贩。

Sir?
先生?

Hold; while Prometheus is about it, I’ll order a complete man after a desirable pattern. —
等一下;普罗米修斯在忙的时候,我会订购一个完整的人,按照一个理想的模式。 —

Imprimis, fifty feet high in his socks; then, chest modelled after the Thames Tunnel then, legs with roots to ‘em, to stay in one place; —
首先,穿着袜子足有五十英尺高;接着,胸膛模仿泰晤士隧道;然后,有根长着根的腿,固定在一个地方; —

then, arms three feet through the wrist; —
然后,手臂手腕处粗约三英尺; —

no heart at all, brass forehead, and about a quarter of an acre of fine brains; —
没有心脏,铜制额头,约四分之一英亩的优质脑袋; —

and let me see–shall I order eyes to see outwards? —
那我看看——我应该订购向外看的眼睛吗? —

No, but put a sky-light on top of his head to illuminate inwards. —
不,但在他头顶上安个天窗,让内部发光。 —

There, take the order, and away.
好了,接受订单,走吧。

Now, what’s he speaking about, and who’s he speaking to, I should like to know? —
现在,他在说些什么,和谁在交谈,我想要知道。 —

Shall I keep standing here? (aside.)
我要继续站在这里吗?(旁白)

‘Tis but indifferent architecture to make a blind dome; —
建造一个盲的圆顶是相当平庸的建筑; —

here’s one. No, no, no; I must have a lantern.
这里有一个。不,不,不;我必须要一个灯笼。

Ho, ho! That’s it, hey? Here are two, sir; one will serve my turn.
哦,哦!就是这个,对吗?这儿有两个,先生;一个就够了。

What art thou thrusting that thief-catcher into my face for, man? —
你为什么把那个捉贼器对着我的脸,伙计? —

Thrusted light is worse than presented pistols.
对着人插入光源比对着枪更糟糕。

I thought, sir, that you spoke to carpenter.
我以为,先生,你是在对木匠说话。

Carpenter? why that’s–but no;–a very tidy, and, I may say, an extremely gentlemanlike sort of business thou art in here, carpenter; —
木匠?为什么是木匠–但不;–你在这里是一种非常整洁,我可以说,非常绅士的行业,木匠; —

–or would’st thou rather work in clay?
–或者你更愿意用泥土工作?

Sir?–Clay? clay, sir? That’s mud; we leave clay to ditchers, sir.
先生?–泥土?泥土,先生?那是泥巴;我们把泥土留给掘沟的人,先生。

The fellow’s impious! What art thou sneezing about?
那家伙是亵渎的!你为什么一直打喷嚏?

Bone is rather dusty, sir.
骨头相当灰尘,先生。

Take the hint, then; and when thou art dead, never bury thyself under living people’s noses.
那就接受这个提示吧;当你死了的时候,永远别埋在活人的鼻子底下。

Sir?–oh! ah!–I guess so; so;–yes, yes–oh dear!
先生?–噢!啊!–我猜是的;嗯,嗯–哦,天哪!

Look ye, carpenter, I dare say thou callest thyself a right good workmanlike workman, eh? —
听着,木匠,我敢说你自己称自己是一个非常称职的工匠,是吧? —

Well, then, will it speak thoroughly well for thy work, if, when I come to mount this leg thou makest, I shall nevertheless feel another leg in the same identical place with it; —
好吧,那么,如果当我开始安装你制作的这条腿时,我仍然感觉到同样的地方还有另一条腿; —

that is, carpenter, my old lost leg; the flesh and blood one, I mean. —
也就是说,木匠,我的旧丟失的腿;我指的是那条有肉有血的腿。 —

Canst thou not drive that old Adam away?
难道你不能把那个老亚当赶走吗?

Truly, sir, I begin to understand somewhat now. —
实话告诉你,先生,我开始有点理解了。 —

Yes, I have heard something curious on that score, sir; —
是的,先生,我在这方面听说了一些奇怪的事情; —

how that a dismasted man never entirely loses the feeling of his old spar, but it will be still pricking him at times. —
失去桅杆的人永远不会完全失去对他的旧桅杆的感觉,但有时会被刺痛。 —

May I humbly ask if it be really so, sir?
我可以谦卑地问一下,这是真的吗,先生?

It is, man. Look, put thy live leg here in the place where mine once was; —
真是如此,伙计。看,把你的健全的腿放在我的曾经所在之处; —

so, now, here is only one distinct leg to the eye, yet two to the soul. —
现在,在视觉上只有一个明显的腿,但在灵魂里却有两根。 —

Where thou feelest tingling life; there, exactly there, there to a hair, do I. Is’t a riddle?
当你感到刺痛生命的地方;在那里,确确实实在那里,就在一根毛发处,我也在。这是个谜语吗?

I should humbly call it a poser, sir.
我应该谦卑地称之为一个难题,先生。

Hist, then. How dost thou know that some entire, living, thinking thing may not be invisibly and uninterpenetratingly standing precisely where thou now standest; —
听着,那么,你怎么知道某个完整的、有思想的事物不可能在你现在站立的地方无形且不能穿透地站立; —

aye, and standing there in thy spite? In thy most solitary hours, then, dost thou not fear eavesdroppers? —
是的,在你最孤独的时刻,你不害怕有窃听者吗? —

Hold, don’t speak! And if I still feel the smart of my crushed leg, though it be now so long dissolved; —
等一下,不要说话!如果我仍然感觉到自己受伤的腿的痛苦,尽管它早已消失; —

then, why mayest not thou, carpenter, feel the fiery pains of hell for ever, and without a body? Hah!
那么,为什么你,木匠,不能永远感受到地狱的火热,而没有一个身体呢?哈!

Good Lord! Truly, sir, if it comes to that, I must calculate over again; —
天啊!真的,先生,如果事情发展到那个地步,我必须重新计算一下; —

I think I didn’t carry a small figure, sir.
我想我漏掉了一个小数字,先生。

Look ye, pudding-heads should never grant premises.–How long before this leg is done?
看着吧,呆头蛋永远不应该承认前提条件。–这只腿还要多久才能完工?

Perhaps an hour, sir.
可能还有一个小时,先生。

Bungle away at it then, and bring it to me (turns to go). —
那就把它弄完给我吧(转身离开)。 —

Oh, Life. Here I am, proud as Greek god, and yet standing debtor to this blockhead for a bone to stand on! —
啊,生活啊。我如同希腊众神一样自豪,却债台高筑于这个蠢货的骨头之上! —

Cursed be that mortal inter-indebtedness which will not do away with ledgers. —
诅咒那种无法消除的人类相互债务,它不会消除账户。 —

I would be free as air; and I’m down in the whole world’s books. —
我将自由如空气;而我在整个世界的书中都有记载。 —

I am so rich, I could have given bid for bid with the wealthiest Praetorians at the auction of the Roman empire (which was the world’s); —
我是如此富有,我可以与罗马帝国(那时的世界)拍卖会上最富有的禁卫军进行竞价。 —

and yet I owe for the flesh in the tongue I brag with. By heavens! —
但是我仍然欠着我夸夸其谈时用的舌头。哎呀! —

I’ll get a crucible, and into it, and dissolve myself down to one small, compendious vertebra. So.
我会拿一个坩埚,把自己溶解成一个小小的、简明的脊椎骨。就这样。

Carpenter ( resuming his work).
木匠(继续他的工作)。

Well, well, well! Stubb knows him best of all, and Stubb always says he’s queer; —
好吧,好吧,好吧!斯塔布最了解他,斯塔布总是说他很古怪的。 —

says nothing but that one sufficient little word queer; he’s queer, says Stubb; —
斯塔布说了唯一足够的古怪这个词;他很古怪,斯塔布说; —

he’s queer–queer, queer; and keeps dinning it into Mr. Starbuck all the time–queer–sir–queer, queer, very queer. —
他古怪——古怪,古怪;并且一直对斯塔巴克先生念叨着这个词——古怪——先生——古怪,古怪,非常古怪。 —

And here’s his leg. Yes, now that I think of it, here’s his bed-fellow! —
这是他的腿。是的,现在我想起来了,这是他的床伴! —

has a stick of whale’s jaw-bone for a wife! And this is his leg; he’ll stand on this. —
用一根鲸鱼下巴骨头做的妻子!这就是他的腿;他会站在这上面。 —

What was that now about one leg standing in three places, and all three places standing in one hell– how was that? —
说过关于一个腿立于三个地方,而所有这三个地方又立于同一个地狱的话,那是怎么回事? —

Oh! I don’t wonder he looked so scornful at me! —
哦!我不怪他看我那样蔑视! —

I’m a sort of strange-thoughted sometimes, they say; but that’s only haphazard-like. —
他们说我有点怪想法;但那只是偶然的。 —

Then, a short, little old body like me, should never undertake to wade out into deep waters with tall, heron-built captains; —
那么,像我这样个矮小老人,永远不应该和高大、苍鹭般的船长一起涉足深水; —

the water chucks you under the chin pretty quick, and there’s a great cry for life-boats. —
水会很快地拍打你的下巴,那时就会有人大声呼喊要救生艇。 —

And here’s the heron’s leg! long and slim, sure enough! —
这就是鹭鸶的腿!又长又细,确实如此! —

Now, for most folks one pair of legs lasts a lifetime, and that must be because they use them mercifully, as a tender-hearted old lady uses her roly-poly old coach-horses. —
现在,对于大多数人来说,一双腿可以用一辈子,这一定是因为他们像一个心地善良的老太太对待她那些滚圆老教练马一样慈祥。 —

But Ahab; oh he’s a hard driver. Look, driven one leg to death, and spavined the other for life, and now wears out bone legs by the cord. —
但是阿哈布;哦,他是一个狠人。看,一个腿被逼到死,另一个被永远搞坏,现在用绳索磨穿骨头腿。 —

Halloa, there, you Smut! bear a hand there with those screws, and let’s finish it before the resurrection fellow comes a-calling with his horn for all legs, true or false, as brewery men go round collecting old beer barrels, to fill ‘em up again. —
喂,你那个脏家伙!快点帮忙拧紧那些螺丝,让我们在复活节之前把它修好,免得那个号角的复活节哥们来收集所有的腿,无论真假,就像啤酒厂的人收回旧啤酒桶再次灌满它们一样。 —

What a leg this is! It looks like a real live leg, filed down to nothing but the core; —
这是多么棒的腿啊!看起来就像一条真正活的腿,只剩下核心了; —

he’ll be standing on this to-morrow; he’ll be taking altitudes on it. Halloa! —
他明天会站在这条腿上;他会用它测高度。喂! —

I almost forgot the little oval slate, smoothed ivory, where he figures up the latitude. —
我差点忘了那个小椭圆形的石板,光滑的象牙板,在那里他计算纬度。 —

So, so; chisel, file, and sand-paper, now!
好了,凿子,锉刀和砂纸,现在开始工作!