WHEN ANNA MIHALOVNA had driven off with her son to Count Kirill Vladimirovitch Bezuhov’s, Countess Rostov sat a long while alone, putting her handkerchief to her eyes. —
安娜·米哈洛夫娜带着她的儿子去拜访基里尔·弗拉基米罗维奇·别祖霍夫伯爵后,罗斯托夫女伯爵独自坐了很久,将手绢放在眼睛上。 —

At last she rang the bell.
最后她按响了铃。

“What does it mean?” she said angrily to the maid, who had kept her waiting a few minutes; —
“这是什么意思?”她生气地对那个让她等了几分钟的女仆说道。 —

“don’t you care for my service, eh? I’ll find you another place, if so.”
“你不在乎我的服务,是吗?如果是这样,我会给你找另一份工作。”

The countess was distressed at the troubles and degrading poverty of her friend, and so out of humour, which always found expression in such remarks to her servants.
女伯爵对她朋友所经历的困境和降级贫困感到痛心,而这种不悦情绪总是会流露在对仆人的讲话中。

“I’m very sorry,” said the maid.
“我很抱歉。”女仆说道。

“Ask the count to come to me.”
“请叫伯爵来找我。”

The count came waddling in to see his wife, looking, as usual, rather guilty.
伯爵大摇大摆地走进来看他的妻子,看起来像往常一样有点内疚。

“Well, little countess! What a sauté of woodcocks and Madeira we’re to have, ma chère! —
“嗯,小女伯爵!我们将会有一道香煎松鸡和马得拉酒,亲爱的!我试过了;给塔拉斯付一千卢布是明智的。他值得!” —

I’ve tried it; I did well to give a thousand roubles for Taras. He’s worth it!”
他坐在妻子旁边,轻松地将手肘放在膝盖上,而且还梳理着他的灰色头发。

He sat down by his wife, setting his elbow jauntily on his knee, and ruffling up his grey hair. —

“What are your commands, little countess?”
“小伯爵夫人,你有什么命令?”

“It’s this, my dear—why, what is this mess on you here?” she said, pointing to his waistcoat. —
“亲爱的,这是怎么搞的?你的背心上弄得一团糟,”她指着他的背心说道。 —

“It’s the sauté, most likely,” she added, smiling. —
“很可能是炖菜弄的吧,”她笑着补充道。 —

“It’s this, my dear, I want some money. —
“亲爱的,我想要一些钱。 —

” Her face became gloomy.
”她的脸色变得阴郁起来。

“Ah, little countess! …” And the count fidgeted about, pulling out his pocket-book.
“啊,小伯爵夫人!…” 伯爵不安地动来动去,掏出钱包。

“I want a great deal, count. I want five hundred roubles. —
“我需要很多钱,伯爵。我要500卢布。 —

” And taking out her cambric handkerchief she wiped her husband’s waistcoat.
”她拿出手帕擦拭丈夫的背心。

“This minute, this minute. Hey, who’s there? —
“立刻,立刻。喂,有人在吗? —

” he shouted, as men only shout who are certain that those they call will run headlong at their summons. —
”他大喊道,只有那些确信自己召唤的人会如此大声呼喊。 —

“Send Mitenka to me!”
“把米特卡送到我这里来!”

Mitenka, the young man of noble family who had been brought up in the count’s house, and now had charge of all his money affairs, walked softly into the room.
米特卡是一个出身高贵的年轻人,他在伯爵家里长大,现在负责所有的金钱事务,他轻轻地走进房间。

“Here, my dear boy,” said the count to the young man, who came up respectfully. —
“来吧,我亲爱的孩子,”伯爵对这个年轻人说道,年轻人恭敬地上前。 —

“Bring me,” he thought a moment, “yes, seven hundred roubles, yes. —
“把七百卢布给我,” 他想了一会儿说道,“是的。 —

And mind, don’t bring me such torn and dirty notes as last time; —
还有注意,不要像上次那样给我带来破烂不堪的钞票; —

nice ones now, for the countess.”
这次要给我拿些好看的,因为要给女伯爵用。”

“Yes, Mitenka, clean ones, please,” said the countess with a depressed sigh.
“是的,米特卡,给我带些干净的,” 伯爵夫人沮丧地叹了口气说道。

“Your excellency, when do you desire me to get the money?” said Mitenka. —
“阁下,您何时需要我去取钱?” 米特卡问道。 —

“Your honour ought to know … But don’t trouble,” he added, noticing that the count was beginning to breathe rapidly and heavily, which was always the sign of approaching anger. —
“阁下应该知道… 不要麻烦了,” 他补充道,注意到伯爵开始急促而沉重地呼吸,这总是愤怒来临的征兆。 —

“I was forgetting … This minute do you desire me to bring them?”
“我忘了… 阁下现在要我带来吗?”

“Yes, yes, just so, bring them. Give them to the countess. —
“是的,是的,就这样,给伯爵夫人。 —

What a treasure that Mitenka is,” added the count, smiling, when the young man had gone out. —
看到年轻人离开后,伯爵笑着说:“米特卡真是个宝贝。” —

“He doesn’t know the meaning of impossible. —
“他不知道不可能这个词的意思。 —

That’s a thing I can’t bear. Everything’s possible.”
这是我无法忍受的事情。一切皆有可能。”

“Ah, money, count, money, what a lot of sorrow it causes in the world! —
“啊,金钱,伯爵啊,金钱啊,它在世界上引起了多少痛苦! —

” said the countess. “This money I am in great need of.”
” 伯爵夫人说道,“我非常需要这些钱。”

“You are a terrible spendthrift, little countess, we all know,” said the count, and kissing his wife’s hand he went away again to his own room.
“你是一个糟糕的挥霍者,小伯爵夫人,我们都知道。”伯爵说着亲吻着妻子的手,再次回到了自己的房间。

When Anna Mihalovna came back from the Bezuhovs’, the money was already on the countess’s little table, all in new notes, under her pocket-handkerchief. —
安娜·米哈洛夫娜从别住霍夫家回来时,钱已经放在伯爵夫人的小桌子上了,都是新鈔票,放在她的手绢底下。 —

Anna Mihalovna noticed that the countess was fluttered about something.
安娜·米哈洛夫娜注意到伯爵夫人好像为某事而心神不宁。

“Well, my dear?” queried the countess.
“亲爱的,怎么了?”伯爵夫人问道。

“Ah, he is in a terrible condition! One would not recognise him, he is so ill, so ill; —
“啊,他的情况很糟糕!一眼就能看出来,他病得这么重,这么重; —

I was there only a minute, and did not say two words.”
我只在那儿呆了一分钟,连两句话都没说。”

“Annette, for God’s sake don’t refuse me,” the countess said suddenly with a blush, which was strangely incongruous with her elderly, thin, and dignified face, taking the money from under her handkerchief. —
“安妮特,求求你,不要拒绝我。”伯爵夫人突然带着脸红说道,这与她的年长、苗条和庄重的脸孔格格不入,她从手绢底下拿出了钱。 —

Anna Mihalovna instantly grasped the situation, and was already bending over to embrace the countess at the appropriate moment.
安娜·米哈洛夫娜立刻明白了情况,并在适当的时刻俯身拥抱了伯爵夫人。

“This is for Boris, from me, for his equipment …”
“这是我给鲍里斯的,为他的装备……”

Anna Mihalovna was already embracing her and weeping. The countess wept too. —
安娜·米哈洛芙娜已经拥抱着她,哭泣不已。女伯爵也流下了眼泪。 —

They wept because they were friends, and because they were soft-hearted, and that they, who had been friends in youth, should have to think of anything so base as money, and that their youth was over. —
他们之所以哭泣,是因为他们是朋友,是因为他们心肠软弱,是因为他们这些曾经是青春朋友的人,居然要想到金钱这样卑劣的东西,是因为他们的青春已经逝去。 —

… But the tears of both were sweet to them.…
…但对他们来说,这两个人的眼泪是甜蜜的…