THE COUNTESS was so tired from seeing visitors that she gave orders that she would see no one else, and the doorkeeper was told to be sure and invite to dinner every one who should call with congratulations. —
伯爵夫人因为接待客人而感到疲倦,于是下令不再接见其他人,门房奉命要确保邀请每个前来祝贺的人来参加晚宴。 —

The countess was longing for a tête-à-tête talk with the friend of her childhood, Anna Mihalovna, whom she had not seen properly since she had arrived from Petersburg. —
伯爵夫人渴望与她的童年朋友安娜·米哈洛夫娜私下交谈,因为她自从从彼得堡回来以来没有好好见过她。 —

Anna Mihalovna, with her tear-worn and amiable face, moved closer up to the countess’s easy-chair.
安娜·米哈洛夫娜带着满是泪痕的和蔼的面庞走近伯爵夫人的舒适椅子。

“With you I will be perfectly open,” said Anna Mihalovna. —
“跟你在一起我会完全坦诚的,”安娜·米哈洛夫娜说。 —

“We haven’t many old friends left. That’s how it is I value your friendship so.”
“我们已经没有几个老朋友了,所以我非常珍惜你的友谊。”

Anna Mihalovna looked at Vera and stopped. The countess pressed her friend’s hand.
安娜·米哈洛夫娜看了看维拉,停了下来。伯爵夫人紧握着她朋友的手。

“Vera,” said the countess to her eldest daughter, unmistakably not her favourite, “how is it you have no notion about anything? —
“维拉,”伯爵夫人对她的长女说,明显不是她最喜欢的,”你怎么一点也不懂事呢? —

Don’t you feel that you’re not wanted here? —
你不觉得你在这儿不受欢迎吗? —

Go to your sister or …”
去找你姐姐或者……”

The handsome young countess smiled scornfully, apparently not in the least mortified.
这位英俊年轻的伯爵夫人轻蔑地笑了笑,显然一点也没有受到打击。

“If you had told me, mamma, I would have gone away long ago,” she said, and went off towards her own room. —
“如果你告诉我了,妈妈,我早就走了,”她说着走向自己的房间。 —

But passing through the divan-room, she noticed two couples sitting symmetrically in the two windows. —
但是穿过休息室时,她注意到两对夫妇对称地坐在两扇窗户旁边。 —

She stopped and smiled contemptuously at them. —
她停下来,轻蔑地冲他们笑了笑。 —

Sonya was sitting close beside Nikolay, who was copying out some verses for her, the first he had ever written. —
索尼娅坐在尼古拉旁边,尼古拉正在给她抄写一些他写的第一首诗。 —

Boris and Natasha were sitting in the other window, and were silent when Vera came in. —
鲍里斯和娜塔莎坐在另一个窗户边,维拉进来时他们静静地不说话。 —

Sonya and Natasha looked at Vera with guilty, happy faces.
索尼娅和娜塔莎带着内疚和快乐的表情看着维拉。

It was an amusing and touching sight to see these little girls in love, but the sight of them did not apparently arouse any agreeable feeling in Vera. “How often have I asked you,” she said, “not to take my things? —
看到这些相爱的小姑娘们是一个有趣而感人的景象,但是维拉似乎没有引起任何愉快的感觉。“我多少次跟你们说过了,”她说,“不要拿我的东西。 —

You have a room of your own.” She took the inkstand away from Nikolay.
你们有自己的房间。”她把墨水瓶从尼古拉手里拿走。

“One minute, one minute,” he said, dipping his pen in.
“再等一分钟,再等一分钟,”他说着,把笔蘸进墨水。

“You always manage to do things just at the wrong moment,” said Vera. “First you burst into the drawing-room so that every one was ashamed of you. —
“你总能在最不合时宜的时刻做事情,”维拉说。“首先你闯进客厅让每个人都为你感到羞愧。 —

” Although or just because what she said was perfectly true, no one answered; —
“尽管她说的完全是真的,但没有人回答; —

all the four simply looked at one another. She lingered in the room with the inkstand in her hand. —
四个人都只是相互看着。她手里拿着墨水瓶在房间里逗留。 —

“And what sort of secrets can you have at your age, Natasha and Boris, and you two! —
“你这年纪能有什么秘密,娜塔莎和鲍里斯,还有你俩! —

—it’s all simply silly nonsense!”
- 这完全是愚蠢的废话!

“Well, what has it to do with you, Vera?” Natasha said in defence, speaking very gently. —
“那又跟你有什么关系,维拉?”娜塔莎辩解道,很温柔地说着。 —

She was evidently more good-humoured and affectionate than usual that day with every one.
她显然比平常更善良和亲切。

“It’s very silly,” said Vera; “I am ashamed of you. What sort of secret…”
“这太愚蠢了,”维拉说;“我为你感到羞愧。你有什么秘密……”

“Every one has secrets. We don’t interfere with you and Berg,” said Natasha, getting warmer.
“每个人都有秘密。我们不干涉你和伯格,”娜塔莎说得越来越激动。

“I should think you didn’t interfere,” said Vera, “because there could be no harm in any conduct of mine. —
“我想你是不会干涉的,”维拉说,“因为我的任何行为都不会有任何伤害。 —

But I shall tell mamma how you behave with Boris.”
但我会告诉妈妈你和鲍里斯的行为。”

“Natalya Ilyinishna behaves very well to me,” said Boris. “I have nothing to complain of,” he said.
“纳塔莉娅·伊利尼什娜对我非常友好,”鲍里斯说。“我没有任何抱怨。”他说道。

“Leave off, Boris, you’re such a diplomatist” (the world diplomatist was much in use among the children in the special sense they attached to the word). —
“算了吧,鲍里斯,你真是一个外交家”(外交家这个词在孩子们中很常用,有特定的含义)。 —

“It’s tiresome, really,” said Natasha, in a mortified and shaking voice; —
“真烦人,”娜塔莎用愧疚并颤抖的声音说。 —

“why does she set upon me?”
“她为什么对我这么刻薄?”

“You’ll never understand it,” she said, addressing Vera, “because you’ve never cared for any one; —
“你永远不会明白,”她对着维拉说,“因为你从未对任何人有过感情;你没有心,你只是简单的珍蓓丽(这个昵称被尼古拉给维拉起了,被认为是最冒犯的),而你最大的乐趣就是让别人陷入困境。 —

you’ve no heart; you’re simply Madame de Genlis” (this nickname, considered most offensive, had been given to Vera by Nikolay), “and your greatest delight is in getting other people into trouble. —
“你可以随心所欲地调戏贝尔格,”她迅速说道。 —

You can flirt with Berg, as much as you like,” she said quickly.
“好吧,我不太可能在有客人的时候追一个年轻人……”

“Well, I’m not likely to run after a young man before visitors.…”
“嗯,她达到了她的目的!”尼古拉插嘴说;

“Well, she has gained her object!” Nikolay put in; —
“她对每个人说了一些讨厌的话,把大家都惹毛了。 —

“she has said something nasty to every one, and upset everybody. —
我们去儿童房吧。” —

Let’s go into the nursery.”
“咱们进去儿童房。”

All four rose, like a flock of scared birds, and went out of the room.
四个人都像一群惊慌的鸟一样站起来并离开了房间。

“You’ve said nasty things to me, and I said nothing to any one,” said Vera.
“你对我说了讨厌的话,而我对任何人都没有说什么,”维拉说道。

“Madame de Genlis! Madame de Genlis!” cried laughing voices through the door.
“麻迪姑娘!麻迪姑娘!”,笑声透过门传来。

The handsome girl who produced such an irritating and unpleasant effect on every one smiled; —
那个漂亮的女孩在每个人心里都产生了令人恼火和不愉快的效果,但她微笑着; —

and, obviously unaffected by what had been said to her, she went up to the looking-glass and put her scarf and her hair tidy. —
显然,她对别人的话毫不在意,她走到镜子前整理了一下围巾和头发。 —

Looking at her handsome face, she seemed to become colder and more composed than ever.
看着她漂亮的脸庞,她似乎比以往更冷静和沉着。

In the drawing-room the conversation was still going on.
在客厅里,谈话依然在进行中。

“Ah, chère,” said the countess, “in my life, too, everything is not rose-coloured. —
“啊,亲爱的,”伯爵夫人说,“在我的生活中,也不是一切都是美好的。 —

Do you suppose I don’t see that, in the way we are going on, our fortune can’t last long? —
你以为我没看出来,在我们这样继续下去的情况下,我们的财富不会持久吗? —

And it’s all the club and his good-nature. —
这都是俱乐部和他的善意惹的祸。 —

When we’re in the country we have no rest from it,—it’s nothing but theatricals, hunting parties, and God knows what. —
当我们在乡村时,就无法摆脱它——只有戏剧表演,狩猎派对,上帝知道还有什么。 —

But we won’t talk of me. Come, tell me how you managed it all. —
但我们不谈论我。来吧,告诉我你是如何处理这一切的。 —

I often wonder at you, Annette, the way you go racing off alone, at your age, to Moscow, and to Petersburg, to all the ministers, and all the great people, and know how to get round them all too. —
我常常想,安妮特,你年纪轻轻就一个人飞跃莫斯科和圣彼得堡,去找所有的大臣和有影响的人,还知道如何应对他们。 —

I admire you, really! Well, how was it arranged? —
我真是佩服你!那么,这是怎么安排的呢? —

Why, I could never do it.”
唉,我可办不到这样的事。

“Ah, my dear!” answered Princess Anna Mihalovna, “God grant that you never know what it is to be left a widow, with no one to support you, and a son whom you love to distraction. —
啊,亲爱的!安娜米哈洛夫娜公主答道,“愿上帝保佑你不要知道做寡妇的滋味,没有人来支持你,还有一个你深爱的儿子。 —

One learns how to do anything,” she said with some pride. “My lawsuit trained me to it. —
人们可以学会做任何事,“她有些骄傲地说。“我的诉讼让我学会了这一点。 —

If I want to see one of these great people, I write a note: —
如果我想见其中一个重要人物,我写张便条: —

‘Princess so-and-so wishes to see so-and-so,’ and I go myself in a hired cab two or three times—four, if need be—till I get what I want. —
“某某公主想见某某人,”然后我亲自坐出租车去一两次,如果需要的话,四次,直到我得到想要的东西。 —

I don’t mind what they think of me.”
我不在乎他们怎么看我。

“Well, tell me, then, whom did you interview for Borinka?” asked the countess. —
那么,告诉我,你见了谁为博林卡请托?”伯爵夫人问道。 —

“Here’s your boy an officer in the Guards, while my Nikolinka’s going as an ensign. —
“这是你的儿子,一位近卫军官,而我的尼古林卡还只是一个少尉。” —

There’s no one to manage things for him. —
“没有人来管理他的事务。” —

Whose help did you ask?”
“你向谁求助了?”

“Prince Vassily’s. He was so kind. Agreed to do everything immediately; —
“是瓦西里亲王。他非常好心,立刻同意帮忙; —

put the case before the Emperor,” said Princess Anna Mihalovna enthusiastically, entirely forgetting all the humiliation she had been through to attain her object.
把这个案子提交给皇帝,“安娜·米哈洛夫娜公主兴高采烈地说,完全忘记了为达到自己的目的所经历的羞辱。

“And how is he? beginning to get old, Prince Vassily?” inquired the countess. —
“他怎么样?瓦西里亲王开始变老了吗?” 伯爵夫人问道。 —

“I have never seen him since our theatricals at the Rumyantsovs’, and I dare say he has forgotten me. —
“自从我们在鲁梅昂佐夫家演戏以来,我从来没有见到他,我敢说他忘记了我。 —

He paid me attentions,” the countess recalled with a smile.
他曾经对我非常殷勤,”伯爵夫人带着微笑回忆起来。

“He’s just the same,” answered Anna Mihalovna, “so affable, brimming over. —
“他还是一样的,”安娜·米哈洛夫娜回答道,“非常和蔼可亲,满腔热情。 —

Greatness has not turned his head. ‘I am sorry I can do so little for you, Princess,’ he said to me; —
“伟大并没有让他骄傲自满。‘我很抱歉我为你能做的这么少,公主,’他对我说, —

‘I’m at your command.’ Yes, he’s a splendid man, and very good to his relatives. —
‘我听候您的吩咐。’是的,他是个了不起的人,而且对他的亲戚非常好。” —

But you know, Natalie, my love for my boy. I don’t know what I would not do to make him happy. —
但是你知道,娜塔莉,我对我的儿子的爱。我不知道我为了让他开心会不会做任何事情。 —

And my means are so scanty,” pursued Anna Mihalovna, dropping her voice mournfully, “that now I am in a most awful position. —
而且我的经济条件非常拮据,”安娜·米哈洛夫娜悲伤地压低声音说,“现在我处境非常糟糕。 —

My wretched lawsuit is eating up all I have, and making no progress. —
可怜的诉讼正在耗尽我所有的财产,却没有任何进展。 —

I have not, can you conceive it, literally, not sixpence in the world, and I don’t know how to get Boris’s equipment. —
你能相信吗,我实际上一丁点儿钱也没有,我不知道怎样为鲍里斯准备装备。 —

” She took out her handkerchief and shed tears. —
”她拿出手帕,掉下了眼泪。 —

“I must have five hundred roubles, and I have only a twenty-five rouble note. —
我必须要五百卢布,可是我只有一张二十五卢布的钞票。 —

I’m in such a position.… My one hope now is in Prince Kirill Vladimirovitch Bezuhov. —
我现在处于如此困境……我的唯一希望现在在于基里尔·弗拉基米罗维奇·别兹霍夫夫爵士。 —

If he will not come to the help of his godson—you know he is Boris’s godfather—and allow him something for his maintenance, all my efforts will have been in vain; —
如果他不肯帮助他的教子——你知道他是鲍里斯的教父——并为他提供一些生活费,我所有的努力都将是徒劳的; —

I shall have nothing to get his equipment with.”
我将一无所有来为他准备装备。

The countess deliberated in tearful silence.
女伯爵在含泪的沉默中权衡着。

“I often think—perhaps it’s a sinful thought,” said the princess—“but I often think: —
“我常常在想,也许这是一个罪恶的思想,”公主说,“但我常常想到:” —

here is Prince Kirill Vladimirovitch Bezuhov living all alone … that immense fortune … and what is he living for? —
这里有着基里尔·弗拉基米罗维奇·别祖霍夫的孤单相伴…巨额的财富…而他又为何而活着呢? —

Life is a burden to him, while Boris is only just beginning life.”
生活对他来说是个负担,而鲍里斯才刚刚开始人生。

“He will be sure to leave something to Boris,” said the countess.
“他肯定会给鲍里斯留下一些东西的,”伯爵夫人说道。

“God knows, chère amie! These wealthy grand people are such egoists. —
“天知道,亲爱的朋友!这些富有的大人物都是如此的自私自利。 —

But still I’m going to see him at once with Boris, and I will tell him plainly the state of the case. —
但我仍然会立刻带着鲍里斯去见他,坦率地告诉他实情。 —

People may think what they choose of me, I really don’t care, when my son’s fate depends on it. —
人们可以随便对我有什么看法,我真的不在乎,当我的儿子的命运牵扯其中时。 —

” The princess got up. “It’s now two o’clock, and you dine at four. I shall have time to drive there and back.”
”公主站起来。“现在是两点钟了,你四点钟吃饭。我有时间去来回赶。”

And with the air of a Petersburg lady, used to business, and knowing how to make use of every moment, Anna Mihalovna sent for her son, and with him went out into the hall.
安娜·米哈洛夫娜站起身来,以一个熟悉事务的彼得堡女人的态度,懂得如何利用每一刻,她叫来她的儿子,与他一起走出大厅。

“Good-bye, my dear,” she said to the countess, who accompanied her to the door. —
“再见,亲爱的”,她对伯爵夫人说,伯爵夫人陪她到门口。 —

“Wish me good-luck,” she added in a whisper unheard by her son.
“祝我好运”,她低声补充道,她的儿子没有听见。

“You’re going to Prince Kirill Vladimirovich’s, ma chère? —
“你要去基里尔·弗拉基米罗维奇王子那儿,亲爱的? —

” said the count, coming out of the dining-room into the hall. —
”伯爵从餐厅走出来进入大厅时说道。 —

“If he’s better, invite Pierre to dine with us. He has been here; —
“如果他好转了,就邀请皮埃尔和我们一起吃饭。他曾经在这儿, —

used to dance with the children. Be sure you invite him, ma chère. —
曾和孩子们一起跳舞。一定要邀请他,亲爱的。 —

Now do come and look how Taras has surpassed himself to-day. —
快来看看塔拉斯今天表现得有多出色。 —

He says Count Orlov never had such a dinner as we’re going to have to-day.”
他说奥洛夫伯爵从来没有像我们今天要吃的那样丰盛的晚餐。”