One morning, about a week after Bingley’s engagement with Jane had been formed, as he and the females of the family were sitting together in the dining-room, their attention was suddenly drawn to the window by the sound of a carriage; —-
在彬格莱与简定下婚约大约一周后的一个早晨,他和家里的女士们正坐在餐厅里,忽然有马车声从窗外传来,他们的注意力被吸引过去。 —-

and they perceived a chaise-and-four driving up the lawn. —-
看到一辆四轮轻便马车驶进草坪。 —-

It was too early in the morning for visitors, and besides, the equipage did not answer to that of any of their neighbours. —-
此时对访客来说还太早,而且这车马并不是他们任何邻居的。马匹是租来的; —-

The horses were post; and neither the carriage nor the livery of the servant who preceded it were familiar to them. —-
既不是他们熟悉的马车,也不是引路仆人身上的制服。 —-

As it was certain, however, that somebody was coming, Bingley instantly prevailed on Miss Bennet to avoid the confinement of such an intrusion, and walk away with him into the shrubbery. —-
然而,既然肯定有人来访,彬格莱立刻说服了贝内特小姐与他一同避开这种打扰,走进灌木丛中。 —-

They both set off, and the conjectures of the remaining three continued, though with little satisfaction, till the door was thrown open, and their visitor entered. —-
他们两人同时出发了,剩下的三人继续推测来者可能是谁,但一直没有任何结果,直到门被推开,客人进来了。 —-

It was Lady Catherine de Bourgh.
是凯瑟琳·德·包尔夫人。

They were of course all intending to be surprised; —-
大家都准备好表示惊讶了; —-

but their astonishment was beyond their expectation, and on the part of Mrs. Bennet and Kitty, though she was perfectly unknown to them, even inferior to what Elizabeth felt.
但他们的惊愕超出了预期,在Mrs. 班纳特和吉蒂这里,尽管对她们来说Lady 凯瑟琳是个完全陌生的人,她们的惊讶甚至比伊丽莎白的还要小。

She entered the room with an air more than usually ungracious, made no other reply to Elizabeth’s salutation, than a slight inclination of the head, and sat down without saying a word. —-
她带着一股不比平常更加不和蔼的气场走进屋里,对伊丽莎白的问候没有作出其他回应,只是稍微点了点头,然后一言不发地坐了下来。 —-

Elizabeth had mentioned her name to her mother on her ladyship’s entrance, though no request of introduction had been made.
伊丽莎白在她阁下进来时已向母亲提起了她的名字,尽管对方并未请求介绍。

Mrs. Bennet, all amazement, though flattered by having a guest of such high importance, received her with the utmost politeness. —-
Mrs. 班纳特非常惊讶,虽然很荣幸有这么重要的客人光临,还是极有礼貌地接待了她。 —-

After sitting for a moment in silence, she said, very stiffly, to Elizabeth —
沉默了片刻后,她非常生硬地对伊丽莎白说——

“I hope you are well, Miss Bennet. That lady, I suppose, is your mother?”
“希望你身体健康,班纳特小姐。那位女士,我想,是你母亲?”

Elizabeth replied very concisely that she was.
伊丽莎白简明地回答说是的。

“And that, I suppose, is one of your sisters?”
“那,我猜,是你的一个姐妹?”

“Yes, madam,” said Mrs. Bennet, delighted to speak to a Lady Catherine. —-
“是的,夫人,” Mrs. 班纳特兴奋地对凯瑟琳夫人说道。” —-

“She is my youngest girl but one, my youngest of all is lately married; —-
她是我的倒数第二个女儿,最小的刚刚结婚了; —-

and my eldest is somewhere about the grounds, walking with a young man, who, I believe, will soon become a part of the family.”
我的大女儿在公园的某个地方,和一个年轻人一起散步,而那位年轻人,我相信,不久后就会成为家里的一份子。”

“You have a very small park here,” returned Lady Catherine, after a short silence.
“你们这里的公园很小啊,” 凯瑟琳夫人在短暂的沉默后说。

“It is nothing in comparison of Rosings, my lady, I dare say; —-
“与罗新斯相比当然是小得多了,夫人,我敢肯定; —-

but, I assure you, it is much larger than Sir William Lucas’s.”
但是,我向您保证,它比威廉·卢卡斯爵士的要大多了。”

“This must be a most inconvenient sitting room for the evening in summer: —-
“这个起居室对于夏天的晚上,肯定很不方便: —-

the windows are full west.”
窗户全都朝西。”

Mrs. Bennet assured her that they never sat there after dinner, and then added —
Mrs. 班纳特向她保证,他们晚饭后从不在这里坐,然后又加了一句——

“May I take the liberty of asking your ladyship whether you left Mr. and Mrs. Collins well.”
“敢问夫人,您是从柯林斯先生夫妇那边离开的吗?他们身体好吗?”

“Yes, very well. I saw them the night before last.”
“是的,身体都很好。我前天晚上刚看见他们。”

Elizabeth now expected that she would produce a letter for her from Charlotte, as it seemed the only probable motive for her calling. —-
伊丽莎白此时预计凯瑟琳夫人会递给她一封夏洛特的信,因为这似乎是她登门造访的唯一合理动机。 —-

But no letter appeared, and she was completely puzzled.
但是信并没有出现,她完全无法解释这种情况。

Mrs. Bennet, with great civility, begged her ladyship to take some refreshment; —-
Mrs. 班纳特非常客气地请夫人享用些点心; —-

but Lady Catherine very resolutely, and not very politely, declined eating anything; —-
但是凯瑟琳夫人非常坚决,也不太礼貌地拒绝了吃任何东西;—-

and then rising up, said to Elizabeth —
随后站起来, 对伊丽莎白说——

“Miss Bennet, there seemed to be a prettyish kind of a little wilderness on one side of your lawn. —-
“班纳特小姐,这你们草坪那边看起来有个相当漂亮的小野地。 —-

I should be glad to take a turn in it, if you will favour me with your company.”
我很愿意在那转一转,如果你愿意陪我的话。”

“Go, my dear,” cried her mother, “and shew her ladyship about the different walks. —-
“去吧,我的亲爱的,” 她母亲喊着,”带着夫人到园子里不同的小径走走。 —-

I think she will be pleased with the hermitage.”
我认为那个隐居处她会很喜欢的。”

Elizabeth obeyed, and, running into her own room for her parasol, attended her noble guest downstairs. —-
伊丽莎白顺从地应了,跑回自己房间拿起遮阳伞,陪伴尊贵的客人下了楼。 —-

As they passed through the hall, Lady Catherine opened the doors into the dining-parlour and drawing-room, and pronouncing them, after a short survey, to be decent looking rooms, walked on.
当她们经过大厅时,凯瑟琳夫人打开了餐厅和客厅的门,经过简短的查看后,她评价这些是看起来还不错的房间,然后继续前行。

Her carriage remained at the door, and Elizabeth saw that her waiting-woman was in it. —-
她的马车停在门前,伊丽莎白看到她的女仆坐在车里。 —-

They proceeded in silence along the gravel walk that led to the copse; —-
她们沉默地沿着通往树丛的砂石小路前进; —-

Elizabeth was determined to make no effort for conversation with a woman who was now more than usually insolent and disagreeable.
伊丽莎白决心不与一个比平时还要傲慢讨厌的女人进行任何交谈。

“How could I ever think her like her nephew?” said she, as she looked in her face.
“我怎么会想她像她的侄子呢?” 她看着她的脸,这样说。

As soon as they entered the copse, Lady Catherine began in the following manner: —
他们一进入树丛,凯瑟琳夫人就开始如下开口:

“You can be at no loss, Miss Bennet, to understand the reason of my journey hither. —-
“您不会不明白我为何而来,班纳特小姐。—-

Your own heart, your own conscience, must tell you why I come.”
您的内心, 您的良知,一定会告诉您我为何而来。”

Elizabeth looked with unaffected astonishment.
伊丽莎白带着真诚的惊讶看着。

“Indeed, you are mistaken, madam. I have not been at all able to account for the honour of seeing you here.”
“实际上,您弄错了,夫人。我完全无法理解贵族大人光临此地的荣幸。”

“Miss Bennet,” replied her ladyship, in an angry tone, “you ought to know that I am not to be trifled with. —-
“班纳特小姐,”她的夫人愤怒地回应,” 你应当知道我不是可以被轻视的人。 —-

But, however insincere you may choose to be, you shall not find me so. —-
但是,不管你选择多么不真诚,你会发现我不是那样的人。 —-

My character has ever been celebrated for its sincerity and frankness, and in a cause of such moment as this I shall certainly not depart from it. —-
我的性格一直以其真诚和直率著称,在这样重要的事情上,我当然不会改变。 —-

A report of a most alarming nature reached me two days ago. —-
两天前,我听到了一个极其令人震惊的消息。 —-

I was told that not only your sister was on the point of being most advantageously married, but that you, that Miss Elizabeth Bennet, would in all likelihood be soon afterwards united to my nephew — my own nephew — Mr. Darcy.
我被告知不仅你的妹妹将要非常有利地结婚,而且你——班纳特小姐,伊丽莎白班纳特,很可能不久以后也会与我的侄子——我的亲侄子——达西先生结合。

Though I know it must be a scandalous falsehood — though I would not injure him so much as to suppose the truth of it possible, I instantly resolved on setting off for this place, that I might make my sentiments known to you.”
尽管我知道这必定是污蔑的谎言——尽管我不愿意这样伤害他以为这是可能的真相,我马上决定动身前来这里,以便让我的观点告诉你。”

“If you believed it impossible to be true,” said Elizabeth, colouring with astonishment and disdain, “I wonder you took the trouble of coming so far. —-
“如果你认为这不可能是真的,”伊丽莎白,脸色带着惊讶和鄙视,说道,” 我不知道你为什么要费心来这么远。 —-

What could your ladyship propose by it?”
贵夫人打算以此达到什么目的?”

“At once to insist upon having such a report universally contradicted.”
“我要立即坚决要求这样的消息被普遍地辟谣。”

“Your coming to Longbourn, to see me and my family,” said Elizabeth coolly, “will be rather a confirmation of it; —-
“您来浪搏恩看我和我的家人,” 伊丽莎白冷静地说,倒会更像是一种证实; —-

if, indeed, such a report is in existence.”
“如果确实有这样的消息传开的话,”

“If! do you then pretend to be ignorant of it? —-
“如果!你难道假装对它不知情吗? —-

Has it not been industriously circulated by yourselves? —-
难道不是你们自己四处散播的吗? —-

Do you not know that such a report is spread abroad?”
你不知道这样的消息已经被传播开来了吗?”

“I never heard that it was.”
“我从来没有听说过。”

“And can you likewise declare, that there is no foundation for it?”
“你还能同样宣称,对此没有任何基础吗?”

“I do not pretend to possess equal frankness with your ladyship. —-
“我可不敢声称拥有和贵夫人相等的坦率。 —-

You may ask questions which I shall not choose to answer.”
有些问题,我可能不会选择回答。”

“This is not to be borne! Miss Bennet, I insist on being satisfied. —-
“这种事情无法忍受!班纳特小姐,我坚持要得到满意的答复。 —-

Has he, has my nephew, made you an offer of marriage?”
他,我的侄子,向你求婚了吗?”

“Your ladyship has declared it to be impossible.”
“贵夫人已经宣布这是不可能的。”

“It ought to be so; it must be so, while he retains the use of his reason. —-
“当他还在正常思考时,这本应该是这样的;它必须是这样的。 —-

But your arts and allurements may, in a moment of infatuation, have made him forget what he owes to himself and to all his family. —-
但是你的手段和诱惑可能在他糊涂的那一刻,让他忘记了他对自己和整个家庭的义务。 —-

You may have drawn him in.”
你可能把他拉进来了。”

“If I have, I shall be the last person to confess it.”
“如果我做了,我会是最后一个承认的人。”

“Miss Bennet, do you know who I am? I have not been accustomed to such language as this. —-
“班纳特小姐,你知道我是谁吗?我不习惯于这种语言。 —-

I am almost the nearest relation he has in the world, and am entitled to know all his dearest concerns.”
我几乎是他在世上最亲近的亲戚之一,我有权知道他所有最亲密的事务。”

“But you are not entitled to know mine; —-
“但您没权知道我的; —-

nor will such behaviour as this ever induce me to be explicit.”
也不会因为这种行为就诱使我明确我的立场。”

“Let me be rightly understood. This match, to which you have the presumption to aspire, can never take place. —-
“我表达得很明确。你竟敢奢望这场婚姻,它绝不可能发生。不,永远不会。 —-

No, never. Mr. Darcy is engaged to my daughter. —-
达西先生已经订婚给我女儿了。 —-

Now, what have you to say?”
现在,你有什么话要说?”

“Only this: that if he is so, you can have no reason to suppose he will make an offer to me.”
“只有这个:如果他真的如此,您就没有理由认为他会向我求婚。”

Lady Catherine hesitated for a moment, and then replied —
凯瑟琳夫人犹豫了一会儿,随后回答说 —

“The engagement between them is of a peculiar kind. —-
“他们之间的订婚是一种特殊的约定。 —-

From their infancy they have been intended for each other. —-
从他们婴儿时起,他们就被指定给彼此。 —-

It was the favourite wish of his mother, as well as of hers. —-
这是他的母亲与她母亲的最爱的愿望。 —-

While in their cradles, we planned the union: —-
他们襁褓中时,我们就计划了这场联姻; —-

and now, at the moment when the wishes of both sisters would be accomplished in their marriage, to be prevented by a young woman of inferior birth, of no importance in the world, and wholly unallied to the family! —-
而现在,在两姐妹的婚事都将实现之际,却被一个出身低微、在世上无足轻重、与家族全无关联的年轻女子所妨碍! —-

Do you pay no regard to the wishes of his friends — to his tacit engagement with Miss De Bourgh? —-
您难道就不考虑他朋友们的愿望——对德·包尔小姐的默认婚约吗? —-

Are you lost to every feeling of propriety and delicacy? —-
您难道对所有体面和细腻的感觉都已失去吗? —-

Have you not heard me say, that from his earliest hours he was destined for his cousin?”
您没听我说过,从他小时候起他就注定要娶他的表亲吗?”

“Yes, and I had heard it before. But what is that to me? —-
“是的,我以前就听说过。但那与我有什么关系呢? —-

If there is no other objection to my marrying your nephew, I shall certainly not be kept from it by knowing that his mother and aunt wished him to marry Miss De Bourgh. —-
如果对我嫁给你侄儿除此之外没有别的异议,那我当然不会因为知道他的母亲和姑姑希望他娶德·包尔小姐而放弃。 —-

You both did as much as you could, in planning the marriage; its completion depended on others. —-
你们尽你们所能策划这场婚事;完成它取决于别人。 —-

If Mr. Darcy is neither by honour nor inclination confined to his cousin, why is not he to make another choice? —-
如果达西先生没有被荣誉或倾向束缚于他的表亲,他为什么就不能选择别人呢? —-

And if I am that choice, why may not I accept him?”
如果我是那个选择,我为什么不能接受他?”

“Because honour, decorum, prudence — nay, interest, forbid it. Yes, Miss Bennet, interest; —-
“因为荣誉、体面、谨慎——哪怕是利益,都禁止这样做。是的,班纳特小姐,利益; —-

for do not expect to be noticed by his family or friends if you wilfully act against the inclinations of all. —-
因为如果你故意违背所有人的意愿,不要指望被他的家人或朋友所注意。 —-

You will be censured, slighted, and despised by every one connected with him. —-
你会被指责、轻视,甚至被我们每一个人所鄙视。 —-

Your alliance will be a disgrace; your name will never even be mentioned by any of us.”
你的结盟会是一种耻辱;你的名字甚至永远不会被我们提及。”

“These are heavy misfortunes,” replied Elizabeth. —-
“这些的确是沉重的不幸,” —-

“But the wife of Mr. Darcy must have such extraordinary sources of happiness necessarily attached to her situation, that she could, upon the whole, have no cause to repine.”
伊丽莎白回答道。”但达西先生的妻子必然会有与她的境遇相关的、非同一般的幸福源泉,总的来说,她没有理由抱怨。”

“Obstinate, headstrong girl! I am ashamed of you! —-
“固执、自以为是的姑娘!我为你感到羞耻! —-

Is this your gratitude for my attentions to you last spring? Is nothing due to me on that score?
我去年春天对你的关照,你就这样报答我?难道对我一点都不感激吗?

“Let us sit down. You are to understand, Miss Bennet, that I came here with the determined resolution of carrying my purpose; —-
“我们坐下来吧。你要明白,班纳特小姐,我来这里是带着决心要达成目的的; —-

nor will I be dissuaded from it. I have not been used to submit to any person’s whims. —-
任何人也劝不动我。我不习惯顺从任何人的心血来潮。 —-

I have not been in the habit of brooking disappointment.”
我也不习惯忍受失望。”

That will make your ladyship’s situation at present more pitiable; —-
将使阁下目前的处境更加可悲; —-

but it will have no effect on me.”
但对毫无影响。”

“I will not be interrupted! Hear me in silence. —-
“我不愿被打断!安静地听我说。 —-

My daughter and my nephew are formed for each other. —-
我的女儿和我的侄儿天生一对。 —-

They are descended, on the maternal side, from the same noble line; —-
他们在母系上源自同一高贵的血统; —-

and on the father’s, from respectable, honourable, and ancient, though untitled families. —-
在父系上则来自受人尊敬、光荣古老,虽无爵位的家族。 —-

Their fortune on both sides is splendid. —-
他们双方的财富都是辉煌的。 —-

They are destined for each other by the voice of every member of their respective houses; —-
他们因为各自家庭成员的共同呼声而注定要在一起;分隔他们的; —-

and what is to divide them? The upstart pretensions of a young woman without family, connexions, or fortune. —-
是什么?一个无家族、无联系、无财产的新贵女子的妄自尊大。 —-

Is this to be endured? But it must not, shall not be. —-
这能忍受吗?但这绝不、决不能。 —-

If you were sensible of your own good, you would not wish to quit the sphere in which you have been brought up.”
如果你懂得自己的好处,你不会想要离开你成长的那个圈子。”

“In marrying your nephew I should not consider myself as quitting that sphere. —-
“嫁给你侄儿,我并不认为自己要退出那个圈子。他是个绅士; —-

He is a gentleman; I am a gentleman’s daughter: —-
我是个绅士的女儿: —-

so far we are equal.”
到目前为止,我们是平等的。”

“True. You are a gentleman’s daughter. But who was your mother? —-
“没错。你一个绅士的女儿。但你的母亲是谁? —-

Who are your uncles and aunts? Do not imagine me ignorant of their condition.”
你的叔叔和姑姑是谁?不要以为我不知道他们的状况。”

“Whatever my connexions may be,” said Elizabeth, “if your nephew does not object to them, they can be nothing to you.”
“无论我的联系是什么,”伊丽莎白说道,” 如果你侄儿不反对,它们对你来说就无关紧要。”

“Tell me, once for all, are you engaged to him?”
“告诉我,一次性的,你和他订婚了吗?”

Though Elizabeth would not, for the mere purpose of obliging Lady Catherine, have answered this question, she could not but say, after a moment’s deliberation, “I am not.”
虽然伊丽莎白并不打算仅仅为了让凯瑟琳夫人高兴而回答这个问题,但经过片刻思考之后,她还是不得不说,“我没有。”

Lady Catherine seemed pleased.
凯瑟琳夫人似乎感到满意。

“And will you promise me never to enter into such an engagement?”
“你会向我承诺,永远不会订下这样的婚约吗?”

“I will make no promise of the kind.”
“我不会做出那种承诺。”

“Miss Bennet, I am shocked and astonished. I expected to find a more reasonable young woman. —-
“班纳特小姐,我感到震惊和惊讶。我本以为会遇到一个更理智的年轻女性。 —-

But do not deceive yourself into a belief that I will ever recede. —-
但别自欺欺人了,要相信我绝不会退缩。 —-

I shall not go away till you have given me the assurance I require.”
在你给我我需要的保证之前,我不会离开。”

“And I certainly never shall give it. —-
“而我绝对不会给出这个承诺。 —-

I am not to be intimidated into anything so wholly unreasonable. —-
我不会被威胁做出如此完全不合理的事。 —-

Your ladyship wants Mr. Darcy to marry your daughter; —-
您希望达西先生娶您的女儿; —-

but would my giving you the wished-for promise, make their marriage at all more probable? —-
但我给出了您渴望的承诺,会使得他们的婚事更有可能吗? —-

Supposing him to be attached to me, would my refusing to accept his hand make him wish to bestow it on his cousin? —-
假设他对我有感情,拒绝接受他的求婚,会让他想把这份求婚转给他的表亲吗? —-

Allow me to say, Lady Catherine, that the arguments with which you have supported this extraordinary application have been as frivolous as the application was ill-judged. —-
请允许我说,凯瑟琳夫人,您支持这一非常要求的理由,如同这个要求本身一样荒谬。 —-

You have widely mistaken my character, if you think I can be worked on by such persuasions as these. —-
如果您认为可以用这些说辞来影响我,那您大错特错了。 —-

How far your nephew might approve of your interference in his affairs, I cannot tell; —-
您的侄子会如何看待您对他的事务的干涉,我无从得知; —-

but you have certainly no right to concern yourself in mine. —-
但您确实无权干预我的事务。 —-

I must beg, therefore, to be importuned no farther on the subject.”
因此,关于此事,请不要再纠缠我。”

“Not so hasty, if you please. I have by no means done. —-
“别这么急,如果你愿意。我并没有说完。 —-

To all the objections I have already urged, I have still another to add. —-
除了我已经提出的所有反对意见之外,我还有另一个要补充的。 —-

I am no stranger to the particulars of your youngest sister’s infamous elopement. I know it all: —-
我对你最小的妹妹那可恶的私奔事件并不陌生。我全都知道了: —-

that the young man’s marrying her was a patched-up business, at the expence of your father and uncle. —-
那个年轻人娶她是一个拼凑起来的事情,是由你的父亲和叔叔付出代价的。 —-

And is such a girl to be my nephew’s sister? —-
这样的女孩要成为我侄儿的妹妹吗? —-

Is her husband, is the son of his late father’s steward, to be his brother? —-
她的丈夫,他已故父亲的管家的儿子,要成为他的兄弟吗? —-

Heaven and earth — of what are you thinking? —-
天哪,你到底在想些什么? —-

Are the shades of Pemberley to be thus polluted?”
彭伯里的荣耀要被这样玷污吗?”

“You can now have nothing farther to say,” she resentfully answered. —-
“你现在没什么好说的了,” 她愤怒地回答说。” —-

“You have insulted me in every possible method. —-
你已经以所有可能的方式侮辱了我。 —-

I must beg to return to the house.”
我得请求回到屋子里去。”

And she rose as she spoke. Lady Catherine rose also, and they turned back. —-
她说着站了起来。凯瑟琳夫人也站了起来,他们一起回头。 —-

her ladyship was highly incensed.
夫人非常愤怒。

“You have no regard, then, for the honour and credit of my nephew! Unfeeling, selfish girl! —-
“那么,对于我侄子的荣誉和信誉,你就一点也不在乎了!自私冷酷的女孩! —-

Do you not consider that a connexion with you, must disgrace him in the eyes of everybody?”
你难道不考虑和你的联系,对他在所有人眼中都将是一场耻辱吗?”

“Lady Catherine, I have nothing farther to say. You know my sentiments.”
“凯瑟琳夫人,我没什么可说的了。你知道我的态度。”

“You are then resolved to have him?”
“那么你决定要得到他了?”

“I have said no such thing. I am only resolved to act in that manner which will, in my own opinion, constitute my happiness, without reference to you, or to any person so wholly unconnected with me.”
“我没有说过这样的话。我只是决定以一种对我的幸福有益的方式行事,这与或任何与我毫不相干的人无关。”

“It is well. You refuse, then, to oblige me. —-
“很好。那么你拒绝屈从了。 —-

You refuse to obey the claims of duty, honour, and gratitude. —-
你拒绝遵从责任、荣誉和感激之心的呼唤。 —-

You are determined to ruin him in the opinion of all his friends, and make him the contempt of the world.”
你决心要让他在所有朋友面前丢脸,成为全世界的笑柄。”

“Neither duty, nor honour, nor gratitude,” replied Elizabeth, “has any possible claim on me in the present instance. —-
“责任、荣誉、感激之心,” 伊丽莎白回答道,”在目前的情况下,它们没有任何可能对我提出要求。 —-

No principle of either would be violated by my marriage with Mr. Darcy. And with regard to the resentment of his family or the indignation of the world, if the former were excited by his marrying me, it would not give me one moment’s concern — and the world in general would have too much sense to join in the scorn.”
没有任何原则会因我与达西先生的婚姻而受到侵犯。至于他家人的愤怒或世人的愤慨,如果前者因为他娶了我而激起,这不会让我有一刻的困扰——而世人通常会很有见识,不会加入嘲笑之中。”

“And this is your real opinion! This is your final resolve! Very well. I shall now know how to act. —-
“这就是你的真实观点!这是你的最终决定!很好。现在我知道该怎么做了。 —-

Do not imagine, Miss Bennet, that your ambition will ever be gratified. I came to try you. —-
不要以为,班纳特小姐,你的野心会得到满足。我是来考验你的。 —-

I hoped to find you reasonable; but depend upon it, I will carry my point.”
我本希望找到你讲道理的;但请相信,我会达到我的目的。”

In this manner Lady Catherine talked on till they were at the door of the carriage, when, turning hastily round, she added —
凯瑟琳夫人一边说一边走,直到他们来到马车门前,她突然转身又补充了一句——

“I take no leave of you, Miss Bennet. I send no compliments to your mother. —-
“我不跟你告别,班纳特小姐。我不给你妈妈带去问候。 —-

You deserve no such attention. I am most seriously displeased.”
你不值得如此照顾。我非常严肃地表示不高兴。”

Elizabeth made no answer, and, without attempting to persuade her ladyship to return into the house, walked quietly into it herself. —-
伊丽莎白没有回答,没有试图说服她夫人回到屋子里面,而是自己安静地走了进去。 —-

She heard the carriage drive away as she proceeded up stairs. —-
她听到随着自己上楼,马车开走了。 —-

Her mother impatiently met her at the door of the dressing-room, to ask why Lady Catherine would not come in again and rest herself.
她的母亲不耐烦地在梳妆室的门口迎上她,询问凯瑟琳夫人为什么不再进来休息一下。

“She did not chuse it,” said her daughter; “she would go.”
“她不愿意,”女儿说;”她要走。”

“She is a very fine-looking woman! and her calling here was prodigiously civil! —-
“她是个很漂亮的女人!她来访真是太有礼貌了! —-

for she only came, I suppose, to tell us the Collinses were well. —-
我猜她只是想告诉我们柯林斯家人都很好。 —-

She is on her road somewhere, I dare say, and so, passing through Meryton, thought she might as well call on you. —-
她应该是在去某个地方的路上,顺道经过梅里屯,就想着也来看看你们。 —-

I suppose she had nothing particular to say to you, Lizzy?”
我猜她并没有特别想对你说的事情,丽兹吧?”

Elizabeth was forced to give into a little falsehood here; —-
伊丽莎白不得不在这里撒了一个小谎; —-

for to acknowledge the substance of their conversation was impossible.
因为承认她们谈话的内容是不可能的。