Elizabeth’s impatience to acquaint Jane with what had happened could no longer be overcome; —-
伊丽莎白不再能克制自己想要跟简分享所发生事情的冲动; —-

and at length, resolving to suppress every particular in which her sister was concerned, and preparing her to be surprised, she related to her the next morning the chief of the scene between Mr. Darcy and herself.
最终,她决定压抑涉及妹妹的所有细节,并让她做好心理准备去感到惊讶,于是第二天早晨,她把自己和达西先生之间的主要场景告诉了妹妹。

Miss Bennet’s astonishment was soon lessened by the strong sisterly partiality which made any admiration of Elizabeth appear perfectly natural; —-
班纳特小姐的惊讶很快因为对伊丽莎白的浓厚姐妹情感而减轻,这使得任何对伊丽莎白的赞赏显得完全自然; —-

and all surprise was shortly lost in other feelings. —-
而所有的惊奇不久后就消失在了其他感觉之中。 —-

She was sorry that Mr. Darcy should have delivered his sentiments in a manner so little suited to recommend them; —-
她对达西先生以这样不适合推荐自己观点的方式表达他的情感感到遗憾; —-

but still more was she grieved for the unhappiness which her sister’s refusal must have given him.
但更让她难过的是,妹妹拒绝他必定给他带来的不快。

“His being so sure of succeeding was wrong,” said she, “and certainly ought not to have appeared; —-
“他这么确定自己会成功是不对的,”她说,“当然不应该显露出来; —-

but consider how much it must increase his disappointment.”
但你要想想,这会让他的失望感增加多少。”

“Indeed,” replied Elizabeth, “I am heartily sorry for him; —-
“确实,”伊丽莎白回答说,“我真的为他感到难过; —-

but he has other feelings, which will probably soon drive away his regard for me. —-
但他有其他的感情,这些可能很快就会驱散他对我的好感。 —-

You do not blame me, however, for refusing him?”
你不会因为我拒绝他而责备我吧?”

“Blame you! Oh, no.”
“责备你!哦,不会。”

“But you blame me for having spoken so warmly of Wickham.”
“但是你会责备我对威克姆说了那么热烈的话。”

“No — I do not know that you were wrong in saying what you did.”
“不——我不知道你那样说是否有错。”

“But you will know it, when I have told you what happened the very next day.”
“但是当我告诉你第二天发生的事情时,你知道的。”

She then spoke of the letter, repeating the whole of its contents as far as they concerned George Wickham. —-
她接着谈到那封信,重复了信的全部内容,至少是那些涉及乔治·威克姆的部分。 —-

What a stroke was this for poor Jane! who would willingly have gone through the world without believing that so much wickedness existed in the whole race of mankind as was here collected in one individual. —-
对于善良的简来说,这是多么沉重的打击啊!她本愿意天真地走遍世界,不愿意相信人类整个种族中会有如此多的邪恶,而现在却集中在一个人身上。 —-

Nor was Darcy’s vindication, though grateful to her feelings, capable of consoling her for such discovery. —-
尽管达西的自我辩护让她感到欣慰,但这种发现却无法安慰她。 —-

Most earnestly did she labour to prove the probability of error, and seek to clear one, without involving the other.
她极力地试图证明错误的可能性,并在不牵涉另一个人的情况下清白其中一个人。

“This will not do,” said Elizabeth; “you never will be able to make both of them good for anything. —-
“这样是不行的,” 伊丽莎白说;” 你永远也使他们两个都变好。 —-

Take your choice, but you must be satisfied with only one. —-
只能选择一个,但你必须满足于只有一个。 —-

There is but such a quantity of merit between them; just enough to make one good sort of man; —-
他们之间只有那么一点点的优点,只够造就一个相当不错的人; —-

and of late it has been shifting about pretty much. —-
而最近这点优点好像一直在他们之间转移。 —-

For my part, I am inclined to believe it all Mr. Darcy’s; but you shall do as you chuse.”
就我个人而言,我趋向于相信这全是达西先生的;但是你可以随意选择。”

It was some time, however, before a smile could be extorted from Jane.
然而,让简露出笑容还是需要一些时间。

“I do not know when I have been more shocked,” said she. “Wickham so very bad! —-
“我不知道我何时曾这么震惊过,” 她说。” 威克姆如此之坏! —-

It is almost past belief. And poor Mr. Darcy! —-
这几乎让人难以相信。而可怜的达西先生! —-

Dear Lizzy, only consider what he must have suffered. Such a disappointment! —-
亲爱的丽兹,只要想想他一定承受了多少痛苦。这样的失望! —-

and with the knowledge of your ill opinion too! —-
而且还要在你对他有不好的印象的时候! —-

and having to relate such a thing of his sister! —-
而且他还得透露他妹妹的事! —-

It is really too distressing. I am sure you must feel it so.”
这实在太令人痛心了。我确定你一定感同身受。”

“Oh! no, my regret and compassion are all done away by seeing you so full of both. —-
“哦!不,我看你如此充满悲怜,我的悔恨和同情都已经消失了。 —-

I know you will do him such ample justice, that I am growing every moment more unconcerned and indifferent. —-
我知道你会公正地对待他,这让我变得每一刻都更加无所谓和无动于衷。 —-

Your profusion makes me saving; and if you lament over him much longer my heart will be as light as a feather.”
你的慷慨让我变得节约;如果你再为他悲伤太久,我的心将会像羽毛一样轻。”

“Poor Wickham; there is such an expression of goodness in his countenance! such an openness and gentleness in his manner!”
“可怜的威克姆;他的面庞有一种善良的表情!他的举止如此开放和温和!”

“There certainly was some great mismanagement in the education of those two young men. —-
“确实,在那两个年轻人的教育上一定有严重的疏忽。 —-

One has got all the goodness, and the other all the appearance of it.”
一个得到了所有的善良,而另一个得到了所有的表象。”

“I never thought Mr. Darcy so deficient in the appearance of it as you used to do.”
“我从未像你过去那样认为达西先生在外表上缺乏它。”

“And yet I meant to be uncommonly clever in taking so decided a dislike to him, without any reason. —-
“而我原以为我特别聪明,因为没有任何理由就对他产生了如此明确的厌恶。 —-

It is such a spur to one’s genius, such an opening for wit, to have a dislike of that kind. —-
这是对人智慧的一种激励,是一种智慧的开端,能有这样的厌恶。 —-

One may be continually abusive without saying anything just; —-
一个人可以不断地恶语相向而不说出任何有道理的话; —-

but one cannot be always laughing at a man without now and then stumbling on something witty.”
但是一个人不可能总是嘲笑一个人而不偶尔说出一些机智的话。”

“Lizzy, when you first read that letter, I am sure you could not treat the matter as you do now.”
“丽兹,当你第一次读那封信时,我敢肯定你不可能像现在这样对待这件事。”

“Indeed, I could not. I was uncomfortable enough. I was very uncomfortable. I may say unhappy. —-
“的确,我做不到。我感到非常不舒服。我非常不舒服。我可以说是不快乐。 —-

And with no one to speak to of what I felt, no Jane to comfort me and say that I had not been so very weak and vain and nonsensical as I knew I had! —-
在我感到当时的情形时,没有人可以和我说话,没有简来安慰我,告诉我我并没有像我自己知道的那样非常软弱和虚荣和没道理! —-

Oh! how I wanted you!”
哦!我是多么需要你啊!”

“How unfortunate that you should have used such very strong expressions in speaking of Wickham to Mr. Darcy, for now they do appear wholly undeserved.”
“真不幸,你在和达西先生说起威克姆时,使用了那么强烈的措辞,因为现在看来,这些措辞完全是不应该的。”

“Certainly. But the misfortune of speaking with bitterness is a most natural consequence of the prejudices I had been encouraging. —-
“当然。但说话带着苦涩是我一直在助长的偏见的最自然结果。 —-

There is one point on which I want your advice. —-
有一件事我需要你的建议。 —-

I want to be told whether I ought, or ought not, to make our acquaintance in general understand Wickham’s character.”
我想知道我应不应该让我们的熟人普遍了解威克姆的真实品格。”

Miss Bennet paused a little and then replied, “Surely there can be no occasion for exposing him so dreadfully. —-
班纳特小姐稍微停顿了一下,然后回答说,”当然,没有必要如此可怕地曝露他。 —-

What is your own opinion?”
你自己的意见是什么?”

“That it ought not to be attempted. Mr. Darcy has not authorised me to make his communication public. —-
“那不应该尝试。达西先生并没有授权我公开他的消息。 —-

On the contrary, every particular relative to his sister was meant to be kept as much as possible to myself; —-
相反,关于他妹妹的每一个细节都意味着尽可能只由我一人知晓; —-

and if I endeavour to undeceive people as to the rest of his conduct, who will believe me? —-
如果我试图纠正人们对他其他行为的误解,谁会相信我呢? —-

The general prejudice against Mr. Darcy is so violent, that it would be the death of half the good people in Meryton to attempt to place him in an amiable light. —-
大家对达西先生的普遍偏见太强烈了,想要改变他们的看法,会让梅里屯一半的好人死去。 —-

I am not equal to it. Wickham will soon be gone; —-
我没有能力去做。威克姆不久就会离开; —-

and therefore it will not signify to anybody here what he really is. —-
因此对这里的任何人来说,他到底是什么样的人都不重要了。 —-

Some time hence it will be all found out, and then we may laugh at their stupidity in not knowing it before. —-
总有一天,所有这些都会被发现,那时我们可以嘲笑他们先前不知道实情的愚蠢。 —-

At present I will say nothing about it.”
目前,我什么都不会说。”

“You are quite right. To have his errors made public might ruin him for ever. —-
“你完全正确。公开他的错误可能会永远毁了他。 —-

He is now, perhaps, sorry for what he has done, and anxious to re-establish a character. —-
他现在或许为自己所做的事感到抱歉,并且急于重建名誉。 —-

We must not make him desperate.”
我们不能让他绝望。”

The tumult of Elizabeth’s mind was allayed by this conversation. —-
这番交谈平息了伊丽莎白心中的骚动。 —-

She had got rid of two of the secrets which had weighed on her for a fortnight, and was certain of a willing listener in Jane, whenever she might wish to talk again on either. —-
她摆脱了压在她心头两周的两个秘密,并且确定简愿意随时倾听她再次谈论任何一个。 —-

But there was still something lurking behind, of which prudence forbad the disclosure. —-
但还有些事情藏在心里,出于谨慎她不得不保持沉默。 —-

She dared not relate the other half of Mr. Darcy’s letter, nor explain to her sister how sincerely she had been valued by his friend. —-
她不敢将达西先生信的另一半告诉妹妹,也不敢解释她是如何被他朋友真诚地看重的。 —-

Here was knowledge in which no one could partake; —-
这是没人能分担的知识; —-

and she was sensible that nothing less than a perfect understanding between the parties could justify her in throwing off this last incumbrance of mystery. —-
她意识到只有双方完全理解后,才能正当地打破这最后一层神秘的负担。 —-

“And then,” said she, “if that very improbable event should ever take place, I shall merely be able to tell what Bingley may tell in a much more agreeable manner himself. —-
“等到那个极不可能的事件真的发生时,” 她说,”我只能告诉别人那些彬格莱可能用更令人愉快的方式亲自说的话。 —-

The liberty of communication cannot be mine till it has lost all its value!”
这种沟通的自由,直到它失去所有的价值之前,我是无法拥有的!”

She was now, on being settled at home, at leisure to observe the real state of her sister’s spirits. Jane was not happy. —-
她现在安顿在家中,有闲暇观察妹妹的精神真实状态。简并不快乐。 —-

She still cherished a very tender affection for Bingley. —-
她依然怀着对彬格莱非常温柔的感情。 —-

Having never even fancied herself in love before, her regard had all the warmth of first attachment, and, from her age and disposition, greater steadiness than first attachments often boast; —-
之前从未自己觉得恋爱过,她的依恋具有初恋的热情,而且根据她的年龄和性情,比初恋常有的稳定性还要强; —-

and so fervently did she value his remembrance, and prefer him to every other man, that all her good sense, and all her attention to the feelings of her friends, were requisite to check the indulgence of those regrets which must have been injurious to her own health and their tranquillity.
她是如此热切地珍视他的记忆,并将他视为其他所有男人之上,她所有的理智和对朋友感情的关注都必须用来抑制那些必然对她自身健康和他们的平静有害的遗憾情绪。

“Well, Lizzy,” said Mrs. Bennet one day, “what is your opinion now of this sad business of Jane’s? —-
“那么,丽兹,”班纳特夫人有一天说,” 你现在对简的这悲伤事情有什么看法呢? —-

For my part, I am determined never to speak of it again to anybody. —-
就我而言,我决心再也不和任何人提起这件事了。 —-

I told my sister Philips so the other day. —-
前几天我告诉了我的妹妹菲利普斯。 —-

But I cannot find out that Jane saw anything of him in London. —-
但我无法发现简在伦敦有没有看到他。 —-

Well, he is a very undeserving young man — and I do not suppose there is the least chance in the world of her ever getting him now. —-
嗯,他是一个非常不值得的年轻人——我觉得她现在再也没有机会得到他了。 —-

There is no talk of his coming to Netherfield again in the summer; —-
夏天他回内瑟菲尔德的事也没人提起; —-

and I have inquired of everybody, too, who is likely to know.”
我问了每个人,”同样,谁有可能知道。”

“I do not believe that he will ever live at Netherfield any more.”
“我不相信他会再住在内瑟菲尔德了。”

“Oh, well! it is just as he chooses. Nobody wants him to come. —-
“哦,好吧!他爱怎么样就怎么样。没人渴望他来。 —-

Though I shall always say that he used my daughter extremely ill; —-
不过我总会说,他对我女儿极其不好; —-

and if I was her, I would not have put up with it. —-
如果我是她,我不会容忍这种事的。 —-

Well, my comfort is, I am sure Jane will die of a broken heart; —-
嗯,我感到安慰的是,我确信简会因心碎而死; —-

and then he will be sorry for what he has done.”
那时他就会为他所做的一切感到后悔。”

But as Elizabeth could not receive comfort from any such expectation, she made no answer.
但是因为伊丽莎白不可能从这种期待中得到安慰,所以她没有回答。

“Well, Lizzy,” continued her mother, soon afterwards, “and so the Collinses live very comfortable, do they? —-
“好吧,丽兹,”她妈妈不久后继续说,” 那么柯林斯家过得很舒适,是吗? —-

Well, well, I only hope it will last. And what sort of table do they keep? —-
嗯,嗯,我只希望这能持续。他们家的饭菜怎么样? —-

Charlotte is an excellent manager, I dare say. —-
夏洛特是个出色的管家,我敢说。 —-

If she is half as sharp as her mother, she is saving enough. —-
如果她有她妈妈一半的精明,那她就够节俭了。 —-

There is nothing extravagant in their housekeeping, I dare say.”
我敢说,他们的家务开销中没有任何奢侈之处。”

“No, nothing at all.”
“不,一点也没有。”

“A great deal of good management, depend upon it. Yes, yes. —-
“肯定有很多好的管理,相信我。是的,是的。 —-

They will take care not to outrun their income. —-
他们一定会注意不超支。 —-

They will never be distressed for money. Well, much good may it do them! —-
他们永远不会因为钱而感到困窘。嗯,愿它给他们带来好处! —-

And so, I suppose, they often talk of having Longbourn when your father is dead. —-
那么,我猜,他们经常谈论死了你父亲之后有浪搏恩。 —-

They look upon it quite as their own, I dare say, whenever that happens.
他们肯定把它视为自己的了,不管那是什么时候发生的。”

“It was a subject which they could not mention before me.”
“这是他们在我面前不能提及的话题。”

“No; it would have been strange if they had: —-
“不,如果他们提了那就太奇怪了: —-

but I make no doubt they often talk of it between themselves. —-
但我毫不怀疑他们经常在一起讨论这个问题。 —-

Well, if they can be easy with an estate that is not lawfully their own, so much the better. —-
嗯,如果他们能对一个并非合法属于自己的财产感到满意,那就更好了。 —-

I should be ashamed of having one that was only entailed on me.”
会为拥有一个仅仅被传给我的财产感到羞耻。”