“I hope Mr. Bingley will like it, Lizzy.”
“我希望彬格莱先生会喜欢它,丽兹。”

“We are not in a way to know what Mr. Bingley likes,” said her mother resentfully, “since we are not to visit.”
“我们根本无从知道彬格莱先生喜欢什么,” 她的妈妈不悦地说,” 既然我们不能去拜访。”

“But you forget, mama,” said Elizabeth, “that we shall meet him at the assemblies, and that Mrs. Long has promised to introduce him.”
“但妈妈,你忘了,”伊丽莎白说,” 我们会在集会上见到他,而且朗夫人已经答应给我们介绍他。”

c2-1-0.jpg

“I do not believe Mrs. Long will do any such thing. She has two neices of her own. —-
“我不相信朗夫人会做这种事。她自己有两个侄女。 —-

She is a selfish, hypocritical woman, and I have no opinion of her.”
她是个自私的、伪善的女人,我对她没有任何好感。”

“No more have I,” said Mr. Bennet; “and I am glad to find that you do not depend on her serving you.”
“我也没有,”班纳特先生说;” 我很高兴发现你们并不指望她来帮忙。”

Mrs. Bennet deigned not to make any reply, but, unable to contain herself, began scolding one of her daughters.
班纳特太太没有给出任何回应,但忍不住开始责骂她的一个女儿。

“Don’t keep coughing so Kitty, for Heaven’s sake! —-
“吉蒂,看在上帝的份上,别一直咳嗽了! —-

Have a little compassion on my nerves. You tear them to pieces.”
对我的神经体恤一点。你把它们都撕成碎片了。”

c2-2-0.jpg

“Kitty has no discretion in her coughs,” said her father; “she times them ill.”
“吉蒂在咳嗽上毫无分寸,” 她父亲说;”她选的时机不好。”

“I do not cough for my own amusement,” replied Kitty fretfully. “When is your next ball to be, Lizzy?”
“我不是为了自己的乐趣咳嗽,” 吉蒂不耐烦地回答。”丽兹,你的下一个舞会是什么时候?”

“To-morrow fortnight.”
“两周后。”

“Aye, so it is,” cried her mother; “and Mrs. Long does not come back till the day before; —-
“是的,的确如此,” 她妈妈叫道;”而且朗夫人要到前一天才回来; —-

so it will be impossible for her to introduce him, for she will not know him herself.”
所以她不可能介绍他,因为她自己都不认识他。”

“Then, my dear, you may have the advantage of your friend, and introduce Mr. Bingley to her.”
“那么,亲爱的,你可能需要利用你的朋友,把彬格莱先生介绍给她。”

“Impossible, Mr. Bennet, impossible, when I am not acquainted with him myself; —-
“不可能,班纳特先生,不可能,当我自己都不认识他时; —-

how can you be so teazing?”
你怎么能这么恼人呢?”

c2-3.jpg

“I honour your circumspection. A fortnight’s acquaintance is certainly very little. —-
“我赞赏你的谨慎。确实,两周的相识时间非常短。 —-

One cannot know what a man really is by the end of a fortnight. —-
两周内是无法真正了解一个人的。 —-

But if we do not venture somebody else will; —-
但如果我们不去冒这个险,别人会去的; —-

and after all, Mrs. Long and her neices must stand their chance; —-
毕竟,朗夫人和她的侄女们也要冒这个风险; —-

and, therefore, as she will think it an act of kindness, if you decline the office, I will take it on myself.”
因此,既然她会认为你拒绝这个任务是一种恩惠,我就自告奋勇来做这件事。”

The girls stared at their father. Mrs. Bennet said only, “Nonsense, nonsense!”
女儿们惊讶地看着他们的父亲。班纳特太太只说:”胡说,胡说!”

“What can be the meaning of that emphatic exclamation?” cried he. —-
“那强调的感叹是什么意思呢?”他大声说。” —-

“Do you consider the forms of introduction, and the stress that is laid on them, as nonsense? —-
你认为介绍的形式和大家对它们的重视是废话吗? —-

I cannot quite agree with you there. What say you, Mary? —-
我不太同意你这里的看法。玛丽,你怎么看? —-

for you are a young lady of deep reflection, I know, and read great books and make extracts.”
因为你是个思考深刻的年轻女士,我知道,你阅读过大量的书籍,做过摘录。”

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.
玛丽想说些很有见地的话,但不知道该怎么表达。

“While Mary is adjusting her ideas,” he continued, “let us return to Mr. Bingley.”
“当玛丽在整理她的想法时,”他继续说,” 让我们回到彬格莱先生身上去。”

“I am sick of Mr. Bingley,” cried his wife.
“我对彬格莱先生已经厌烦了,”他妻子叫道。

“I am sorry to hear that; but why did not you tell me so before? —-
“听到这个我很遗憾;但为什么之前不告诉我呢? —-

If I had known as much this morning I certainly would not have called on him. It is very unlucky; —-
如果我今天早上知道了,我肯定不会去拜访他。真是太不走运了; —-

but as I have actually paid the visit, we cannot escape the acquaintance now.”
但既然我实际上已经去了拜访,我们现在无法逃避这个交往了。”

The astonishment of the ladies was just what he wished; —-
女士们的惊讶正是他所期望的; —-

that of Mrs. Bennet perhaps surpassing the rest; —-
班纳特太太的惊讶或许超过了其他人; —-

though, when the first tumult of joy was over, she began to declare that it was what she had expected all the while.
不过,当最初的喜悦平静下来后,她开始宣称这正是她一直所期待的。

“How good it was in you, my dear Mr. Bennet! But I knew I should persuade you at last. —-
“你真好,亲爱的班纳特先生!不过我知道我最终会说服你的。 —-

I was sure you loved your girls too well to neglect such an acquaintance. Well, how pleased I am! —-
我确信你太爱你的女儿们了,不会忽略这样的交往。太高兴了! —-

and it is such a good joke, too, that you should have gone this morning, and never said a word about it till now.”
而且你今天早上去的时候一句话也没有说,到现在才提,这也太逗了。”

“Now, Kitty, you may cough as much as you chuse,” said Mr. Bennet; —-
“现在,吉蒂,你想咳嗽就咳吧,” 班纳特先生说; —-

and, as he spoke, he left the room, fatigued with the raptures of his wife.
说着,他离开了房间,已经被妻子的狂喜弄疲惫了。

“What an excellent father you have, girls!” said she, when the door was shut. —-
“你们有个多么出色的父亲啊,姑娘们!” 她在门关上后说。” —-

“I do not know how you will ever make him amends for his kindness; or me either, for that matter. —-
我不知道你们将怎样报答他的恩典;或者,我也不知道,为这个事情。 —-

At our time of life it is not so pleasant, I can tell you, to be making new acquaintance every day; but for your sakes, we would do any thing. —-
在我们这个年纪,我可以告诉你,每天结交新朋友并不那么愉快;但为了你们,我们愿意做任何事。 —-

Lydia, my love, though you are the youngest, I dare say Mr. Bingley will dance with you at the next ball.”
丽迪雅,亲爱的,虽然你是最小的,我敢肯定下次舞会彬格莱先生会和你跳舞。”

“Oh!” said Lydia stoutly, “I am not afraid; for though I am the youngest, I’m the tallest.”
“哦!”丽迪雅坚定地说,”我一点也不担心;因为虽然我最小,但我最高。”

The rest of the evening was spent in conjecturing how soon he would return Mr. Bennet’s visit, and determining when they should ask him to dinner.
剩下的晚上,他们都在猜测他什么时候会回访班纳特先生,以及什么时候应该邀请他来吃晚饭。