This letter must make its way to Emma’s feelings. —
这封信必须触动艾玛的内心情感。 —

She was obliged, in spite of her previous determination to the contrary, to do it all the justice that Mrs. Weston foretold. —
尽管她之前坚决表示不会这样做,但仍不得不如西斯特夫人预言的那样公正对待它。 —

As soon as she came to her own name, it was irresistible; —
一旦她看到自己的名字,就无法抗拒; —

every line relating to herself was interesting, and almost every line agreeable; —
与她相关的每一行都很有趣,几乎每一行都令人愉快; —

and when this charm ceased, the subject could still maintain itself, by the natural return of her former regard for the writer, and the very strong attraction which any picture of love must have for her at that moment. —
当这种魅力消失时,通过对写信人以前的尊重和爱的自然回归,主题仍然能够保持下去,对于她来说,任何关于爱情的描述都具有极强的吸引力。 —

She never stopt till she had gone through the whole; —
她一口气读完了整封信; —

and though it was impossible not to feel that he had been wrong, yet he had been less wrong than she had supposed - and he had suffered, and was very sorry - and he was so grateful to Mrs. Weston, and so much in love with Miss Fairfax, and she was so happy herself, that there was no being severe; —
虽然不得不承认他错了,但他比她想象的要错得更少-他受了苦,非常抱歉-他对西斯特夫人感激不尽,对费尔法克斯小姐那么深情,她自己也是如此幸福,因此不应该严厉批评; —

and could he have entered the room, she must have shaken hands with him as heartily as ever.
如果他能进来,她肯定会像往常一样和他热情握手。

She thought so well of the letter, that when Mr. Knightley came again, she desired him to read it. —
她对这封信评价很高,所以当奈特利先生再次来访时,她要求他阅读。 —

She was sure of Mrs. Weston’s wishing it to be communicated; —
她确信西斯特夫人希望它被传达; —

especially to one, who, like Mr. Knightley, had seen so much to blame in his conduct.
尤其是传给一个像奈特利先生那样对他的行为有所指责的人。

`I shall be very glad to look it over,’ said he; —
“我很高兴过目,”他说; —

`but it seems long. I will take it home with me at night.’
“但看起来很长。我晚上带回家看。”

But that would not do. Mr. Weston was to call in the evening, and she must return it by him.
但那样行不通。西斯特恩先生晚上要打电话,她必须通过他把信还回去。

`I would rather be talking to you,’ he replied; —
“我宁愿和你聊天,”他回答说; —

`but as it seems a matter of justice, it shall be done.’
但看起来这是一个关于正义的问题,应该这样做。

He began - stopping, however, almost directly to say, `Had I been offered the sight of one of this gentleman’s letters to his mother-in-law a few months ago, Emma, it would not have been taken with such indifference.’
他开始了-不过很快停了下来,说:“如果几个月前有人给我看这位先生写给岳母的信,爱玛,我不会那么无动于衷的。”

He proceeded a little farther, reading to himself; and then, with a smile, observed, `Humph! —
他继续往前走,自己读着,然后微笑着说:“嗯!一个很好的恭维开场。但这是他的风格。一个人的风格不能成为另一个人的规范。我们不会太苛刻。” —

a fine complimentary opening: But it is his way. —
这是一种非常恭维的开头,但这是他的方式。 —

One man’s style must not be the rule of another’s. —
一个人的风格不应该成为别人的准则。 —

We will not be severe.’
我们不会太严厉。

It will be natural for me,' he added shortly afterwards,to speak my opinion aloud as I read. —
然后他不久后又加了一句:“当我读书时,把我的想法大声说出来是很自然的。这样做,我会觉得自己离你更近。” —

By doing it, I shall feel that I am near you. —
通过这样做,我会感觉我离你更近。 —

It will not be so great a loss of time: but if you dislike it - ‘
这不会浪费太多时间,但如果你不喜欢-”

`Not at all. I should wish it.’
一点也不。我希望你这么做。

Mr. Knightley returned to his reading with greater alacrity.
Knightley先生开始更有活力地阅读。

He trifles here,' said he,as to the temptation. —
他在这里玩弄东西,”他说,“就诱惑而言。他知道自己是错的,没有什么理性的辩解。糟糕。他不应该订婚。他父亲的性情:” —

He knows he is wrong, and has nothing rational to urge. —
然而,对他父亲,他却是不公平的。 —

  • Bad. - He ought not to have formed the engagement. - “His father’s disposition:’ —
    对他父亲的性情,他是不公平的。 —

’ - he is unjust, however, to his father. —
他对自己感到悔恨,只是出于怕人。”. —

Mr. Weston’s sanguine temper was a blessing on all his upright and honourable exertions; —
韦斯顿先生乐观的性情对他一切正直和光荣的努力都是一种福祉; —

but Mr. Weston earned every present comfort before he endeavoured to gain it. —
但是韦斯顿先生在努力获得每一个现有的舒适之前都是辛勤劳动着。 —

  • Very true; he did not come till Miss Fairfax was here.’
    “非常正确;他来的时候还没有费尔法克斯小姐呢。”

And I have not forgotten,' said Emma,how sure you were that he might have come sooner if he would. —
“我还记得,”艾玛说,“你曾经很确信他如果愿意的话本可以早些来的。” —

You pass it over very handsomely - but you were perfectly right.’
“你表现得非常大度,但你说的完全正确。”

`I was not quite impartial in my judgment, Emma: —
“艾玛,我在判断上并不完全公正; —

  • but yet, I think - had you not been in the case - I should still have distrusted him.’
    但是,我认为——即便你不在场——我还是会对他产生怀疑。”

When he came to Miss Woodhouse, he was obliged to read the whole of it aloud - all that related to her, with a smile; —
当他来找伍德豪斯小姐的时候,他不得不大声朗读整个信件——所有与她相关的部分,带着微笑; —

a look; a shake of the head; a word or two of assent, or disapprobation; —
一个眼神;一个摇头;一两句赞同或不赞同的话语; —

or merely of love, as the subject required; —
或者仅仅是爱的表达,取决于话题需要; —

concluding, however, seriously, and, after steady reflection, thus -
然而,最终,经过深思熟虑,他认真地作了结论——

`Very bad - though it might have been worse. - Playing a most dangerous game. —
“非常糟糕——尽管情况可能更糟。玩了一个非常危险的游戏。 —

Too much indebted to the event for his acquittal. - No judge of his own manners by you. —
太过依赖结果来获得无罪释放。无法通过你对他的判断来判断自己的举止。 —

  • Always deceived in fact by his own wishes, and regardless of little besides his own convenience. —
    总是被自己的愿望所欺骗,并且忽略了除了自己的方便之外别的一切。 —

  • Fancying you to have fathomed his secret. Natural enough! —
    认为你已经探究到了他的秘密。这是很自然的!” —

  • his own mind full of intrigue, that he should suspect it in others. - Mystery; —
    - 他自己的思想充满了神秘,以至于他怀疑别人也会有同样的感受。 - 神秘; —

Finesse - how they pervert the understanding! —
技巧 - 它们是如何曲解理解力的! —

My Emma, does not every thing serve to prove more and more the beauty of truth and sincerity in all our dealings with each other?’
“我的艾玛,难道一切都不是为了越来越证明我们彼此间真诚和诚实的美丽吗?”

Emma agreed to it, and with a blush of sensibility on Harriet’s account, which she could not give any sincere explanation of.
艾玛同意了,并因为哈丽特而感到敏感,这种敏感她无法给出任何真诚的解释。

`You had better go on,’ said she.
“你最好接着说下去,”她说。

He did so, but very soon stopt again to say, `the pianoforte! Ah! —
他继续讲述,但很快又停下来说,“钢琴!啊! —

That was the act of a very, very young man, one too young to consider whether the inconvenience of it might not very much exceed the pleasure. —
那是一个非常、非常年轻人的行为,一个太年轻而考虑不到这种不便可能远远超过快乐的年轻人。 —

A boyish scheme, indeed! - I cannot comprehend a man’s wishing to give a woman any proof of affection which he knows she would rather dispense with; —
一个幼稚的计划!- 我无法理解一个男人希望给一个女人任何他知道她宁愿不要的感情证明; —

and he did know that she would have prevented the instrument’s coming if she could.’
他知道如果她能的话,她会阻止那件事的发生。”

After this, he made some progress without any pause. —
在此之后,他有所进展,没有任何停顿。 —

Frank Churchill’s confession of having behaved shamefully was the first thing to call for more than a word in passing.
弗兰克·丘吉尔承认自己的行为可耻是值得更多讨论的第一件事。

I perfectly agree with you, sir,' - was then his remark.You did behave very shamefully. —
“先生,我完全同意您,”然后他说。“你的行为非常可耻。 —

You never wrote a truer line.’ And having gone through what immediately followed of the basis of their disagreement, and his persisting to act in direct opposition to Jane Fairfax’s sense of right, he made a fuller pause to say, `This is very bad. —
你从未说过更真实的话。”然后,他接着谈到了随之而来的基本分歧,以及他坚持直接违背简·费尔法克斯的正义感,他更深思熟虑地停下来说,“这太糟糕了。 —

  • He had induced her to place herself, for his sake, in a situation of extreme difficulty and uneasiness, and it should have been his first object to prevent her from suffering unnecessarily. —
    - 他为了自己,让她置身极度困难和不舒服的境地,而这本不该是他的首要任务,防止她遭受不必要的痛苦。 —

  • She must have had much more to contend with, in carrying on the correspondence, than he could. —
    - 她在进行信件往来时必定要面对比他更多的困难。” —

He should have respected even unreasonable scruples, had there been such; —
他本应尊重即使是不合理的顾虑,如果有的话; —

but hers were all reasonable. We must look to her one fault, and remember that she had done a wrong thing in consenting to the engagement, to bear that she should have been in such a state of punishment.’
但是她的所有顾虑都是合理的。我们必须看看她的一个错,记住她在同意这段婚约时犯了一个错误,承受她应该处在这种惩罚状态的事实。

Emma knew that he was now getting to the Box Hill party, and grew uncomfortable. —
爱玛知道他现在正在前往桦山派对,感到不安。 —

Her own behaviour had been so very improper! —
她自己的行为实在太不合适了! —

She was deeply ashamed, and a little afraid of his next look. —
她感到深深的羞愧,并且有点害怕他接下来的表情。 —

It was all read, however, steadily, attentively, and without the smallest remark; —
但是这一切都是平静地、专注地阅读,没有任何评论; —

and, excepting one momentary glance at her, instantly withdrawn, in the fear of giving pain - no remembrance of Box Hill seemed to exist.
除了一瞥她的一瞬间,立刻就被收回,生怕伤害她 - 桦山的回忆似乎已经不存在。

There is no saying much for the delicacy of our good friends, the Eltons,' was his next observation. -His feelings are natural. —
`对我们的好友埃尔顿夫妇的敏感度不能说什么好,’ 他的下一个观察说道。- 他的感情是自然的。 —

  • What! actually resolve to break with him entirely! —
    - 什么!竟然下了决心与他完全断绝关系! —

  • She felt the engagement to be a source of repentance and misery to each - she dissolved it. —
    - 她感到这段婚约对双方都是懊悔和痛苦的源头 - 她解除了婚约。 —

  • What a view this gives of her sense of his behaviour! —
    - 这表现出了她对他行为的看法! —

  • Well, he must be a most extraordinary - ‘
    - 唉,他一定是一个非常特别的 - ‘

Nay, nay, read on. - You will find how very much he suffers.' <span><tang1>不,不,接着读。- 你会发现他受了多么大的苦。’

I hope he does,' replied Mr. Knightley coolly, and resuming the letter. --- <span><tang1>我希望他受苦,’ 奈特利先生冷冷地回答道,然后继续阅读信件。 —

Smallridge!'' - What does this mean? What is all this?' <span><tang1>斯莫尔里奇!” - 这是什么意思?这是什么情况?

`She had engaged to go as governess to Mrs. Smallridge’s children - a dear friend of Mrs. Elton’s - a neighbour of Maple Grove; —
她答应去作斯莫尔里奇太太孩子的家庭教师 - 这是艾尔顿太太的一位亲密朋友 - 是梅普尔格罗夫的邻居; —

and, by the bye, I wonder how Mrs. Elton bears the disappointment?’
顺便提一句,我不知道艾尔顿太太如何忍受这次失望?

`Say nothing, my dear Emma, while you oblige me to read - not even of Mrs. Elton. Only one page more. —
“亲爱的艾玛,你要是坚持让我继续读下去就什么都别说 - 甚至是有关艾尔顿太太的事情。再读一页。 —

I shall soon have done. What a letter the man writes!’
我很快就读完了。这个人写得真是一手好信!

`I wish you would read it with a kinder spirit towards him.’
“我希望你能用一颗更善良的心去读他的信。”

`Well, there is feeling here. - He does seem to have suffered in finding her ill. —
“好吧,这里是有感情的。- 他似乎在找到她生病时受了折磨。 —

  • Certainly, I can have no doubt of his being fond of her. “Dearer, much dearer than ever.’ —
    “我肯定他是爱她的。‘比以往更亲爱。 —

’ I hope he may long continue to feel all the value of such a reconciliation. —
“我希望他能长久地感受到这种和解的价值。 —

  • He is a very liberal thanker, with his thousands and tens of thousands. —
    他是一个非常慷慨的感谢者,还有他的千万财富。 —

  • “Happier than I deserve.” Come, he knows himself there. —
    “比我值得的幸福。”来吧,他自己也清楚。 —

“Miss Woodhouse calls me the child of good fortune.’ —
“伍德豪斯小姐称我为幸运之子。” —

’ - Those were Miss Woodhouse’s words, were they? —
那是伍德豪斯小姐的措辞吗? —

  • And a fine ending - and there is the letter. —
    这是个完美的结尾 - 信就在这里。 —

The child of good fortune! That was your name for him, was it?’
幸运之子!那是你给他的名字,对吗?

`You do not appear so well satisfied with his letter as I am; —
“你似乎对他的信不太满意,但我却很满意。” —

but still you must, at least I hope you must, think the better of him for it. —
但你至少必须,至少我希望你必须,会为他对此改观。 —

I hope it does him some service with you.’
我希望这对你有些好处。

`Yes, certainly it does. He has had great faults, faults of inconsideration and thoughtlessness; —
“是的,当然会。他有很大的过错,考虑不周和粗心的过错; —

and I am very much of his opinion in thinking him likely to be happier than he deserves: —
我很赞成他的看法,认为他很可能会比他应得的更幸福; —

but still as he is, beyond a doubt, really attached to Miss Fairfax, and will soon, it may be hoped, have the advantage of being constantly with her, I am very ready to believe his character will improve, and acquire from hers the steadiness and delicacy of principle that it wants. —
但是他无疑真的喜欢费尔法克斯小姐,并且很快,我们可以希望,有机会常和她在一起, —

And now, let me talk to you of something else. —
我很愿意相信他的性格会得到改善,并且从她那里获得它所缺乏的坚定和原则的细致。 —

I have another person’s interest at present so much at heart, that I cannot think any longer about Frank Churchill. —
现在,让我和你谈谈别的事情。 —

Ever since I left you this morning, Emma, my mind has been hard at work on one subject.’
我目前至死为另一个人的利益着想,我无法再继续想起弗兰克•丘吉尔。