The appearance of the little sitting-room as they entered, was tranquillity itself; —
当他们走进小客厅时,整个房间显得十分宁静; —

Mrs. Bates, deprived of her usual employment, slumbering on one side of the fire, Frank Churchill, at a table near her, most deedily occupied about her spectacles, and Jane Fairfax, standing with her back to them, intent on her pianoforte.
贝茨夫人在火炉一侧睡着了,弗兰克·丘吉尔在离她不远的桌子上,专心致志地整理她的眼镜,简·费尔法克斯站在他们背后,专心致志地弹奏着钢琴;

Busy as he was, however, the young man was yet able to shew a most happy countenance on seeing Emma again.
尽管他很忙,这位年轻人看到爱玛后依然能展现出非常幸福的表情;

This is a pleasure,' said he, in rather a low voice,coming at least ten minutes earlier than I had calculated. —
“这真是个愉快的事,”他用比较低的声音说,“至少比我计划的早了十分钟呢; —

You find me trying to be useful; tell me if you think I shall succeed.’
你发现我正忙着有用的东西;告诉我你认为我会成功吗;

What!' said Mrs. Weston,have not you finished it yet? —
“怎么!”韦斯顿夫人说,“你还没完成吗? —

you would not earn a very good livelihood as a working silversmith at this rate.’
以这个速度,你做银匠可能赚不到多少钱。”

I have not been working uninterruptedly,' he replied,I have been assisting Miss Fairfax in trying to make her instrument stand steadily, it was not quite firm; —
“我并没有一直在工作,”他回答道,“我一直在帮助费尔法克斯小姐,试图让她的乐器稳定下来,它还没有完全坚固; —

an unevenness in the floor, I believe. You see we have been wedging one leg with paper. —
我相信是地板不平;你看,我们用纸板支撑了一条腿。 —

This was very kind of you to be persuaded to come. —
你能被说服过来真是太好了。 —

I was almost afraid you would be hurrying home.’
我几乎担心你会急着回家。”

He contrived that she should be seated by him; —
他使她坐在自己旁边; —

and was sufficiently employed in looking out the best baked apple for her, and trying to make her help or advise him in his work, till Jane Fairfax was quite ready to sit down to the pianoforte again. —
并且忙着为她找到最好的烤苹果,尽力让她帮忙或给他提建议,直到简·费尔法克斯完全准备好再次坐到钢琴前。 —

That she was not immediately ready, Emma did suspect to arise from the state of her nerves; —
爱玛怀疑她没立即准备好的原因是因为她的神经状态; —

she had not yet possessed the instrument long enough to touch it without emotion; —
她还没有拥有这件乐器足够长的时间以至于可以毫不动情地触摸它; —

she must reason herself into the power of performance; —
她必须通过理性使自己具有表现力; —

and Emma could not but pity such feelings, whatever their origin, and could not but resolve never to expose them to her neighbour again.
艾玛无论这些感受的起源如何,都不禁对这样的感受感到怜悯,并决定再也不让邻居看到;

At last Jane began, and though the first bars were feebly given, the powers of the instrument were gradually done full justice to. —
最后简开始演奏,虽然起初音乐呈现出柔弱,但乐器的潜力渐渐得到充分展现; —

Mrs. Weston had been delighted before, and was delighted again; Emma joined her in all her praise; —
韦斯顿夫人之前曾感到高兴,现在又感到高兴;艾玛也加入了她的赞美; —

and the pianoforte, with every proper discrimination, was pronounced to be altogether of the highest promise.
钢琴,以适当的评价,被宣称是极具潜力的;

Whoever Colonel Campbell might employ,' said Frank Churchill, with a smile at Emma,the person has not chosen ill. —
“无论是谁,柯尔刚·坎贝尔都没有选错人,”弗兰克·丘吉尔笑着对艾玛说; —

I heard a good deal of Colonel Campbell’s taste at Weymouth; —
我在韦茅斯听说过坎贝尔上校的品味; —

and the softness of the upper notes I am sure is exactly what he and all that party would particularly prize. —
上面音符的柔和音色,我肯定正是他和他所有那一伙人特别看重的; —

I dare say, Miss Fairfax, that he either gave his friend very minute directions, or wrote to Broadwood himself. —
我敢说,费尔法克斯小姐,他要么给他的朋友非常详细的指示,要么亲自写信给布劳德伍德公司; —

Do not you think so?’
你不这么认为吗?

Jane did not look round. She was not obliged to hear. —
简没有转过头来。她并不需要听; —

Mrs. Weston had been speaking to her at the same moment.
韦斯顿太太同时也在和她说话;

It is not fair,' said Emma, in a whisper;mine was a random guess. Do not distress her.’
“这不公平,”艾玛低声说,“我只是瞎猜。别让她难过。”;

He shook his head with a smile, and looked as if he had very little doubt and very little mercy. —
他摇了摇头,微笑着看起来非常肯定,也没有什么怜悯之心; —

Soon afterwards he began again,
不久之后,他又开始说起。

`How much your friends in Ireland must be enjoying your pleasure on this occasion, Miss Fairfax. —
您在这个场合感到愉快,爱尔兰的朋友们一定很享受。 —

I dare say they often think of you, and wonder which will be the day, the precise day of the instrument’s coming to hand. —
我敢说他们经常想着您,猜测这个乐器送到手上的确切日期会是哪一天。 —

Do you imagine Colonel Campbell knows the business to be going forward just at this time? —
您认为坎贝尔上校是否知道事情正在这个时候进行? —

  • Do you imagine it to be the consequence of an immediate commission from him, or that he may have sent only a general direction, an order indefinite as to time, to depend upon contingencies and conveniences?’
    - 您认为这是他立即委托的结果,还是他可能只是发出一个泛泛的指令,一个关于时间不确定,取决于情况和方便的指令?

He paused. She could not but hear; she could not avoid answering,
他停顿了一下。她不得不听到;她无法回避回答,

Till I have a letter from Colonel Campbell,' said she, in a voice of forced calmness,I can imagine nothing with any confidence. —
‘我要是收到了坎贝尔上校的信,’她以一种强迫的冷静声音说,’我就能有点信心地想象些什么。 —

It must be all conjecture.’
这一切都只是猜测。

`Conjecture - aye, sometimes one conjectures right, and sometimes one conjectures wrong. —
‘猜测 - 是的,有时猜对,有时猜错。 —

I wish I could conjecture how soon I shall make this rivet quite firm. —
我希望我能猜出多快才能把这个铆钉真正固定好。 —

What nonsense one talks, Miss Woodhouse, when hard at work, if one talks at all; —
当一个人努力工作时,说些什么都是废话,伍德豪斯小姐; —

  • your real workmen, I suppose, hold their tongues; —
    - 我想您真正的工人会保持沉默; —

but we gentlemen labourers if we get hold of a word - Miss Fairfax said something about conjecturing. —
但我们绅士劳动者,如果说起话来……费菲尔克斯小姐说了些关于猜测的事。 —

There, it is done. I have the pleasure, madam, (to Mrs. Bates,) of restoring your spectacles, healed for the present.’
好了,搞定了。我很高兴,夫人,(对贝茨夫人说,)为您暂时修好了眼镜。

He was very warmly thanked both by mother and daughter; —
他受到了母女俩的热烈感谢; —

to escape a little from the latter, he went to the pianoforte, and begged Miss Fairfax, who was still sitting at it, to play something more.
为了稍微躲开后者,他走到了钢琴旁,请求坐在那里的费菲尔克斯小姐弹奏一些东西。

If you are very kind,' said he,it will be one of the waltzes we danced last night; —
“如果你非常善良,”他说,”那么将会是我们昨晚跳的其中一支华尔兹;” —

  • let me live them over again. You did not enjoy them as I did; you appeared tired the whole time. —
    “让我再次回味一下。你似乎并没有像我那样享受它们;你整晚都显得很疲倦。” —

I believe you were glad we danced no longer; —
“我相信你很高兴我们没有再跳下去;” —

but I would have given worlds - all the worlds one ever has to give - for another half-hour.’
“但我愿意付出世界 - 所有一个人能够付出的世界 - 为了再多跳半个小时。”

She played.
她弹奏起来。

`What felicity it is to hear a tune again which has made one happy! —
“再次听到曾经让人快乐的曲子是何等幸福!” —

  • If I mistake not that was danced at Weymouth.’
    “我没记错的话,那是在韦茅斯跳的。”

She looked up at him for a moment, coloured deeply, and played something else. —
她抬起头看着他,脸红了一下,然后弹奏其他的曲子。 —

He took some music from a chair near the pianoforte, and turning to Emma, said,
他从钢琴附近的椅子上拿起一些乐谱,转向艾玛说,

`Here is something quite new to me. Do you know it? - Cramer. —
“这是对我全新的。你认识吗?- 克拉默。” —

  • And here are a new set of Irish melodies. That, from such a quarter, one might expect. —
    “还有一套新的爱尔兰旋律。这种作品应该来自这个来源。” —

This was all sent with the instrument. Very thoughtful of Colonel Campbell, was not it? —
“这些都是随琴一起送来的。坎贝尔上校想得真周到,不是吗?” —

  • He knew Miss Fairfax could have no music here. I honour that part of the attention particularly; —
    “他知道费尔法克斯小姐在这里没有曲子。我特别尊敬这一点;” —

it shews it to have been so thoroughly from the heart. Nothing hastily done; —
“这显示出这份关心是发自内心的。没有草率,” —

nothing incomplete. True affection only could have prompted it.’
“没有不完整。只有真挚的感情才能激发如此丰富。”

Emma wished he would be less pointed, yet could not help being amused; —
艾玛希望他说话不要那么直接,但她不禁感到好笑; —

and when on glancing her eye towards Jane Fairfax she caught the remains of a smile, when she saw that with all the deep blush of consciousness, there had been a smile of secret delight, she had less scruple in the amusement, and much less compunction with respect to her. —
她的目光落在简·费尔法克斯身上时,她看到了一丝微笑的痕迹,带着一种深深的自我意识的脸红中带着秘密喜悦的微笑,她对于自己的娱乐感到更加坦然,对于这件事也没有太多内疚感; —

  • This amiable, upright, perfect Jane Fairfax was apparently cherishing very reprehensible feelings.
    这位和蔼可亲、正直完美的简·费尔法克斯显然在滋生着一些应受指责的情感;

He brought all the music to her, and they looked it over together. —
他把所有的乐谱都带给她,他们一起查看乐谱; —

  • Emma took the opportunity of whispering,
    艾玛趁机低声说道,

You speak too plain. She must understand you.' <span><tang1>你说话太直接了。她一定会明白你的意思。’

I hope she does. I would have her understand me. I am not in the least ashamed of my meaning.' <span><tang1>我希望她能明白。我希望她明白我的意思。我对我的意思一点也不感到羞愧。’

But really, I am half ashamed, and wish I had never taken up the idea.' <span><tang1>但实际上,我有些羞耻,希望自己从来没有想过这个念头。’

I am very glad you did, and that you communicated it to me. --- <span><tang1>很高兴你想了,并且告诉了我。’ —

I have now a key to all her odd looks and ways. —
`现在我对她所有的怪异神情和举止有了解释。’ —

Leave shame to her. If she does wrong, she ought to feel it.’
`让她感到羞愧吧。如果她做错了事,她应该感到羞愧。’

She is not entirely without it, I think.' <span><tang1>我认为她并不完全没有羞愧。’

I do not see much sign of it. She is playing Robin Adair at this moment - his favourite.' <span><tang1>我没有看到太多的迹象。她现在正弹着罗宾·艾德尔 - 他的最爱。’

Shortly afterwards Miss Bates, passing near the window, descried Mr. Knightley on horse-back not far off.
不久之后,贝茨小姐走近窗前,看到了不远处骑马的奈特利先生。

Mr. Knightley I declare! - I must speak to him if possible, just to thank him. --- <span><tang1>奈特利先生!我得尽可能地和他说句谢谢。’ —

I will not open the window here; it would give you all cold; —
我不会在这里打开窗户,这样会让大家都感冒; —

but I can go into my mother’s room you know. —
但我可以进我妈妈的房间,你知道的; —

I dare say he will come in when he knows who is here. —
我敢说他知道这里有谁的时候会进来的; —

Quite delightful to have you all meet so! —
能让大家碰面感到非常愉快!” —

  • Our little room so honoured!’
    -我们小小的房间竟然受到如此尊敬!’

She was in the adjoining chamber while she still spoke, and opening the casement there, immediately called Mr. Knightley’s attention, and every syllable of their conversation was as distinctly heard by the others, as if it had passed within the same apartment.
她还在说话的时候已经在隔壁的房间里了,打开了那里的窗户,立刻引起了Knightley先生的注意,他们的谈话每一个字都被其他人听得清清楚楚,就好像是在同一个房间里发生一样。

How d' ye do? - how d'ye do? - Very well, I thank you. --- <span><tang1>你好吗?- 你好吗?- 很好,谢谢你。 —

So obliged to you for the carriage last night. We were just in time; —
昨晚的车真是太感谢你了。我们正好赶上了; —

my mother just ready for us. Pray come in; do come in. —
我妈妈正好就要出去接我们了。请进吧;请进吧。 —

You will find some friends here.’
你会在这里找到一些朋友的。’

So began Miss Bates; and Mr. Knightley seemed determined to be heard in his turn, for most resolutely and commandingly did he say,
于是Bates小姐开始了;而Knightley先生似乎下定决心要让自己被听到,因为他坚定而有命令性地说道,

How is your niece, Miss Bates? - I want to inquire after you all, but particularly your niece. --- <span><tang1>你的侄女好吗,Bates小姐?- 我想打听你们所有人,但特别是你的侄女。 —

How is Miss Fairfax? - I hope she caught no cold last night. —
Fairfax小姐怎么样?- 我希望她昨晚没有感冒。 —

How is she to-day? Tell me how Miss Fairfax is.’
她今天好吗?告诉我Fairfax小姐的情况。’

And Miss Bates was obliged to give a direct answer before he would hear her in any thing else. —
而在Bates小姐能继续说别的之前,Knightley先生必须要得到一个明确的回答。 —

The listeners were amused; and Mrs. Weston gave Emma a look of particular meaning. —
听众们感到很开心;西斯特太太则给了艾玛一个特别有意味的眼神。 —

But Emma still shook her head in steady scepticism.
但艾玛仍然坚定地摇着头表示怀疑。

So obliged to you! - so very much obliged to you for the carriage,' resumed Miss Bates. <span><tang1>非常感谢你!-真的非常感谢你送来的马车,’贝茨小姐接着说。

He cut her short with,
他干脆打断了她,

I am going to Kingston. Can I do anything for you?' <span><tang1>我要去金斯顿。我能帮你做点什么吗?’

Oh! dear, Kingston - are you? - Mrs. Cole was saying the other day she wanted something from Kingston.' <span><tang1>哦!亲爱的,你去金斯顿啊?-科尔太太前几天说她需要从金斯顿带点什么回来。’

Mrs. Cole has servants to send. Can I do any thing for you?' <span><tang1>科尔太太有仆人可以派遣。我能帮你做点什么吗?’

No, I thank you. But do come in. Who do you think is here? - Miss Woodhouse and Miss Smith; --- <span><tang1>不用了,谢谢你。不过进来吧。你猜谁在这里?-伍德豪斯小姐和史密斯小姐;’ —

so kind as to call to hear the new pianoforte. —
这么好心过来听新乐器。 —

Do put up your horse at the Crown, and come in.’
把你的马停在皇冠酒店,然后进来吧。

Well,' said he, in a deliberating manner,for five minutes, perhaps.’
好吧,'他深思着说,也许待五分钟吧。’

And here is Mrs. Weston and Mr. Frank Churchill too! - Quite delightful; so many friends!' <span><tang1>这里还有西顿太太和弗兰克·丘吉尔先生!-太可爱了;这么多朋友!’

No, not now, I thank you. I could not stay two minutes. --- <span><tang1>不,现在不行,谢谢你。我不能呆两分钟。我必须赶快去金斯顿。’ —

I must get on to Kingston as fast as I can.’
`哦!请进来吧。他们见到你会非常高兴的。’

Oh! do come in. They will be so very happy to see you.' <span><tang1>哦!请进来吧。他们见到你会非常高兴的。’

`No, no; your room is full enough. I will call another day, and hear the pianoforte.’
不,不;你的房间已经够满了。我会另外找时间过来,听听钢琴演奏。

`Well, I am so sorry! - Oh! Mr. Knightley, what a delightful party last night; —
哦,太抱歉了!-哦!Knightley先生,昨晚的派对多么令人愉快; —

how extremely pleasant. - Did you ever see such dancing? - Was not it delightful? —
太愉快了。-你见过这样优美的舞蹈吗?-是不是很美好? —

  • Miss Woodhouse and Mr. Frank Churchill; —
    Emma小姐和Frank Churchill先生; —

I never saw any thing equal to it.’
我从未见过任何事物能与之媲美。

`Oh! very delightful indeed; I can say nothing less, for I suppose Miss Woodhouse and Mr. Frank Churchill are hearing every thing that passes. —
哦!确实非常愉快;我应该说不少,因为我想Emma小姐和Frank Churchill先生什么都听得到。 —

And (raising his voice still more) I do not see why Miss Fairfax should not be mentioned too. —
(声音越来越高)我不明白为什么不提及Fairfax小姐。 —

I think Miss Fairfax dances very well; and Mrs. Weston is the very best country-dance player, without exception, in England. —
我觉得Fairfax小姐跳舞跳得很好;而且Weston夫人无疑是英格兰最好的乡村舞曲演奏家。 —

Now, if your friends have any gratitude, they will say something pretty loud about you and me in return; —
如果你的朋友们真的心存感激,他们会对你和我说些漂亮的话; —

but I cannot stay to hear it.’
但我不能留下来听。

`Oh! Mr. Knightley, one moment more; something of consequence - so shocked! —
哦,Knightley先生,再多一点时间;有要紧的事情-太震惊了! —

  • Jane and I are both so shocked about the apples!’
    -Jane和我都对这些苹果感到震惊!

`What is the matter now?’
现在又发生什么事了?

`To think of your sending us all your store apples. —
想想你把整个蓄积的苹果都送给我们。 —

You said you had a great many, and now you have not one left. We really are so shocked! —
你说你有很多,现在一个也没有了。我们真的很震惊! —

Mrs. Hodges may well be angry. William Larkins mentioned it here. —
霍奇斯夫人很可能会生气。威廉·拉金斯在这里提到了。 —

You should not have done it, indeed you should not. Ah! he is off. He never can bear to be thanked. —
你不应该这样做,的确不应该。啊!他走了。他从来不喜欢被感谢。 —

But I thought he would have staid now, and it would have been a pity not to have mentioned… . —
但我以为他会留下来,不提到就太可惜了… —

Well, (returning to the room,) I have not been able to succeed. Mr. Knightley cannot stop. —
好吧,(回到房间里,)我没有成功。奈特利先生停不下来。 —

He is going to Kingston. He asked me if he could do any thing… .’
他要去金斯顿。他问我是否可以帮忙… ‘

Yes,' said Jane,we heard his kind offers, we heard every thing.’
简说,’是的,我们听到了他的好意,我们听到了一切。’

`Oh! yes, my dear, I dare say you might, because you know, the door was open, and the window was open, and Mr. Knightley spoke loud. —
‘哦!是的,亲爱的,我敢说你肯定听到了,因为你知道,门是开着的,窗户是开着的,奈特利先生说话很大声。 —

You must have heard every thing to be sure. “Can I do any thing for you at Kingston?” said he; —
你肯定得听到了一切。”我能为你在金斯顿做些什么吗?”他说。 —

so I just mentioned… . Oh! Miss Woodhouse, must you be going? —
所以我刚好提到… 噢!伍德豪斯小姐,你是必须走吗? —

  • You seem but just come - so very obliging of you.’
    - 你好像刚刚来 - 你太周到了。

Emma found it really time to be at home; the visit had already lasted long; —
艾玛发现现在确实是回家的时候了;访问已经持续了很长时间; —

and on examining watches, so much of the morning was perceived to be gone, that Mrs. Weston and her companion taking leave also, could allow themselves only to walk with the two young ladies to Hartfield gates, before they set off for Randalls.
检查手表时,发现早晨已经过去了很多,韦斯顿夫人和她的同伴也告别了,只能和两位年轻女士一起走到哈特菲尔德大门口,然后他们就启程前往兰德尔斯。