When he went into Sonia’s room, it was already getting dark. —
当他走进索尼娅的房间时,天色已经开始变暗。 —

All day Sonia had been waiting for him in terrible anxiety. Dounia had been waiting with her. —
整天索尼娅一直在极度焦虑中等待着他。杜妮娅一直和她在一起。 —

She had come to her that morning, remembering Svidrigailov’s words that Sonia knew. —
那天早晨,她来到她那儿,记得斯维德里格洛夫说的话,索尼娅知道。 —

We will not describe the conversation and tears of the two girls, and how friendly they became. —
我们不会描述两个女孩的谈话和眼泪,以及她们是如何成为朋友的。 —

Dounia gained one comfort at least from that interview, that her brother would not be alone. —
杜妮娅至少从那次谈话中获得了一点安慰,知道她的兄弟不会孤单。 —

He had gone to her, Sonia, first with his confession; —
他向她,索尼娅,先坦白了。 —

he had gone to her for human fellowship when he needed it; —
当他需要时,他去接受她的人类伙伴; —

she would go with him wherever fate might send him. Dounia did not ask, but she knew it was so. —
无论命运把他送到哪里,她都会和他在一起。杜妮娅并没有问,但她知道是这样的。 —

She looked at Sonia almost with reverence and at first almost embarrassed her by it. —
她几乎崇敬地看着索尼娅,一开始几乎让索尼娅感到尴尬。 —

Sonia was almost on the point of tears. She felt herself, on the contrary, hardly worthy to look at Dounia. —
索尼娅几乎要哭了。相比之下,她觉得自己几乎不配看杜妮娅。 —

Dounia’s gracious image when she had bowed to her so attentively and respectfully at their first meeting in Raskolnikov’s room had remained in her mind as one of the fairest visions of her life.
杜妮娅在拉斯科尔尼科夫的房间里第一次见面时对她如此殷勤和尊敬的形象一直留在她的脑海中,成为她一生中最美好的景象之一。

Dounia at last became impatient and, leaving Sonia, went to her brother’s room to await him there; —
最后杜妮娅变得不耐烦,离开索尼娅,去她兄弟的房间等他; —

she kept thinking that he would come there first. —
她一直以为他会先去那儿。 —

When she had gone, Sonia began to be tortured by the dread of his committing suicide, and Dounia too feared it. —
当她离开后,索尼娅开始害怕他自杀,杜妮娅也害怕。 —

But they had spent the day trying to persuade each other that that could not be, and both were less anxious while they were together. —
但当她们在一起时,她们整天都在试图说服对方那不可能,所以都不那么焦虑。 —

As soon as they parted, each thought of nothing else. —
他们一分开,便彼此不停思念。 —

Sonia remembered how Svidrigailov had said to her the day before that Raskolnikov had two alternatives–Siberia or . —
索尼娅记得前一天斯维德里加洛夫告诉她,罗季克诺夫只有两个选择–西伯利亚或者… —

. . Besides she knew his vanity, his pride and his lack of faith.
此外,她知道他的虚荣心,自尊和缺乏信仰。

“Is it possible that he has nothing but cowardice and fear of death to make him live?” —
“难道他活着只是因为胆怯和害怕死亡吗?” —

she thought at last in despair.
她终于绝望地想到。

Meanwhile the sun was setting. Sonia was standing in dejection, looking intently out of the window, but from it she could see nothing but the unwhitewashed blank wall of the next house. —
与此同时,太阳正在落山。索尼娅失落地站在窗前,专注地望着窗外,但外面她只能看到隔壁房子的未粉刷的空白墙。 —

At last when she began to feel sure of his death–he walked into the room.
最终当她开始确信他已经死去时–他走进了房间。

She gave a cry of joy, but looking carefully into his face she turned pale.
她发出了欢乐的呼喊,但仔细看着他的脸,她脸色变得苍白。

“Yes,” said Raskolnikov, smiling. “I have come for your cross, Sonia. It was you told me to go to the cross-roads; —
“是的,” 拉斯科尔尼科夫微笑着说。 “我是为了你的十字架而来,索尼娅。是你告诉我去十字路口; —

why is it you are frightened now it’s come to that?”
为什么现在已经到了那个时候你这么害怕?”

Sonia gazed at him astonished. His tone seemed strange to her; —
索尼娅惊讶地看着他。他的语气对她来说很奇怪; —

a cold shiver ran over her, but in a moment she guessed that the tone and the words were a mask. —
一阵寒意掠过她的身体,但她马上猜到了这种语气和话语是一个面具。 —

He spoke to her looking away, as though to avoid meeting her eyes.
他对她说话时目光转开,仿佛想避免与她的目光相遇。

“You see, Sonia, I’ve decided that it will be better so. There is one fact… . —
“你看,索尼娅,我决定这样做会更好。有一个事实… .” —

But it’s a long story and there’s no need to discuss it. But do you know what angers me? —
但这是一个很长的故事,没有必要讨论。但你知道什么让我生气吗? —

It annoys me that all those stupid brutish faces will be gaping at me directly, pestering me with their stupid questions, which I shall have to answer–they’ll point their fingers at me. —
所有那些愚蠢粗鲁的面孔直接盯着我,用他们愚蠢的问题烦扰我,我将不得不回答他们–他们会指着我。 —

… Tfoo! You know I am not going to Porfiry, I am sick of him. —
… 啐!你知道我不会去见波尔菲里,我已经厌烦他了。 —

I’d rather go to my friend, the Explosive Lieutenant; —
我宁愿去找我的朋友,那位爆炸中尉; —

how I shall surprise him, what a sensation I shall make! But I must be cooler; —
我将会让他惊讶,我将引起轰动!但我必须冷静; —

I’ve become too irritable of late. You know I was nearly shaking my fist at my sister just now, because she turned to take a last look at me. —
最近我变得太易怒了。你知道我刚才几乎向我姐姐挥舞拳头,因为她转身最后看了我一眼。 —

It’s a brutal state to be in! Ah! what am I coming to! Well, where are the crosses?”
这是一种残酷的状态!啊!我要变成什么样子!那么,十字架在哪里?

He seemed hardly to know what he was doing. —
他似乎几乎不知道自己在做什么。 —

He could not stay still or concentrate his attention on anything; —
他无法保持安静或专注于任何事情; —

his ideas seemed to gallop after one another, he talked incoherently, his hands trembled slightly.
他的思想仿佛追逐着彼此,他说话支离破碎,他的手微微颤抖。

Without a word Sonia took out of the drawer two crosses, one of cypress wood and one of copper. —
索尼娅无言地从抽屉里拿出两个十字架,一个是柏树木制的,一个是铜制的。 —

She made the sign of the cross over herself and over him, and put the wooden cross on his neck.
她为自己和他做了十字记号,把木制的十字架放在了他的脖子上。

“It’s the symbol of my taking up the cross,” he laughed. —
“这是我承受十字架的象征,”他笑道。 —

“As though I had not suffered much till now! The wooden cross, that is the peasant one; —
“仿佛直到现在我还没有受到过多少痛苦!木制的十字架,那是农民们用的; —

the copper one, that is Lizaveta’s–you will wear yourself, show me! So she had it on … —
铜制的那个,那是丽莎维塔的–你将会戴在身上,给我看看!所以她戴着它…” —

at that moment? I remember two things like these too, a silver one and a little ikon. —
当时?我也记得类似的两样东西,一个银的,一个小圣像。 —

I threw them back on the old woman’s neck. —
我把它们扔回那位老妇人的脖子上。 —

Those would be appropriate now, really, those are what I ought to put on now… . —
这些才是合适的,真的,这些才是我现在应该戴的。… —

But I am talking nonsense and forgetting what matters; I’m somehow forgetful… . —
但我在胡说八道,忘记了重要的事情;我有点忘性。… —

You see I have come to warn you, Sonia, so that you might know … —
你看,我是来警告你的,索尼娅,这样你就会知道… —

that’s all– that’s all I came for. But I thought I had more to say. You wanted me to go yourself. —
其实,我来这里只是为了那件事。但我觉得我应该有更多要说的。你自己要我走。 —

Well, now I am going to prison and you’ll have your wish. —
好吧,我现在要去监狱了,你的愿望终于实现了。 —

Well, what are you crying for? You too? Don’t. Leave off! —
好啦,你为什么哭?你也是吗?别哭! —

Oh, how I hate it all!”
啊,我是多么讨厌这一切!

But his feeling was stirred; his heart ached, as he looked at her. “Why is she grieving too?” —
但他的感情被激起了;当他看着她时,他的心在疼痛。“她为什么也在悲伤呢?” —

he thought to himself. “What am I to her? Why does she weep? —
他心里想。“我对她是什么?为什么她在哭泣? —

Why is she looking after me, like my mother or Dounia? —
为什么她在照顾我,像对待我的母亲或者杜尼娅一样? —

She’ll be my nurse.”
她将成为我的护士。”

“Cross yourself, say at least one prayer,” Sonia begged in a timid broken voice.
“念个十字架祷告,至少念一遍祷告吧,”索尼娅用胆怯而断断续续的声音请求道。

“Oh certainly, as much as you like! And sincerely, Sonia, sincerely… .”
“哦当然,尽管念,索尼娅,真诚地… .”

But he wanted to say something quite different.
但他想要说的却完全不同。

He crossed himself several times. Sonia took up her shawl and put it over her head. —
索妮娅交叉了几次十字架。索妮娅披上了披肩盖住头。 —

It was the green /drap de dames/ shawl of which Marmeladov had spoken, “the family shawl.” —
那件披肩是马梅拉多夫所提到的那件绿色/drap de dames/披肩,“家庭的披肩”。 —

Raskolnikov thought of that looking at it, but he did not ask. —
考尔罗尼科夫看着它想到了那件事,但他没有问。 —

He began to feel himself that he was certainly forgetting things and was disgustingly agitated. —
他开始感到他肯定在忘事,而且极端焦虑。 —

He was frightened at this. He was suddenly struck too by the thought that Sonia meant to go with him.
他因此感到害怕。他突然又被想法打击了,索妮娅打算和他一起去。

“What are you doing? Where are you going? Stay here, stay! —
“你在干什么?你要去哪?留在这里,留在这里! —

I’ll go alone,” he cried in cowardly vexation, and almost resentful, he moved towards the door. —
“我要独自去,”他懦弱地恼怒地喊道,几乎怨恨地向门口走去。 —

“What’s the use of going in procession?” —
“整个队伍进门有什么用呢?”他边走边喃喃自语。 —

he muttered going out.
索妮娅站在房间中间。他甚至都没有向她道别;

Sonia remained standing in the middle of the room. He had not even said good-bye to her; —
他忘了她。一种令人心碎和叛逆的怀疑在他心中涌起。 —

he had forgotten her. A poignant and rebellious doubt surged in his heart.
他再次想,这样做是正确的吗,是正确的吗,所有这一切?当他走下楼梯时。

“Was it right, was it right, all this?” he thought again as he went down the stairs. —
“他不能停下并全部收回吗……然后不去吗?” —

“Couldn’t he stop and retract it all … and not go?”
但他还是走了。他突然觉得,他绝不能问自己问题。

But still he went. He felt suddenly once for all that he mustn’t ask himself questions. —
他必须继续前行。 —

As he turned into the street he remembered that he had not said good-bye to Sonia, that he had left her in the middle of the room in her green shawl, not daring to stir after he had shouted at her, and he stopped short for a moment. —
当他转进街道时,他想起自己没有和索尼娅道别,他把她留在房间中央,披着她的绿色披肩,因为他大声喊了她之后,她不敢动,他停顿了一会儿。 —

At the same instant, another thought dawned upon him, as though it had been lying in wait to strike him then.
与此同时,另一个念头突然袭来,似乎一直在埋伏着,等待这个时刻来打击他。

“Why, with what object did I go to her just now? I told her–on business; on what business? —
“为什么我刚才去找她?告诉她什么事?什么事? —

I had no sort of business! To tell her I was /going/; but where was the need? Do I love her? —
我根本没有业务!告诉她我要走;但有必要吗?我爱她吗? —

No, no, I drove her away just now like a dog. Did I want her crosses? Oh, how low I’ve sunk! —
不,不,刚才我像对待狗一样赶走了她。我需要她的十字架吗?哦,我沦落到何等地步! —

No, I wanted her tears, I wanted to see her terror, to see how her heart ached! —
不,我需要她的眼泪,我想看见她的恐惧,看见她的心如何疼痛! —

I had to have something to cling to, something to delay me, some friendly face to see! —
我必须有些什么可以依靠,可以阻止我的事物,可以看到一张友好的面孔! —

And I dared to believe in myself, to dream of what I would do! —
我竟然敢相信自己,梦想着我将做些什么! —

I am a beggarly contemptible wretch, contemptible!”
我是个卑贱可鄙的废物,可鄙至极!”

He walked along the canal bank, and he had not much further to go. —
他沿着运河堤走着,离目的地并不远。 —

But on reaching the bridge he stopped and turning out of his way along it went to the Hay Market.
但当他走到桥处时停下来,顺着桥走到干草市场。

He looked eagerly to right and left, gazed intently at every object and could not fix his attention on anything; —
他急切地左右张望,专心注视每一个物体,却无法集中注意力在任何事物上; —

everything slipped away. “In another week, another month I shall be driven in a prison van over this bridge, how shall I look at the canal then? —
一切都在渐渐消逝。“再过一个星期,一个月,我将坐在囚车上经过这座桥,那时我会如何看这条运河? —

I should like to remember this!” slipped into his mind. “Look at this sign! —
我想记住这一切!”片刻间闪过他的脑海。“看这个招牌! —

How shall I read those letters then? It’s written here ‘Campany,’ that’s a thing to remember, that letter /a/, and to look at it again in a month–how shall I look at it then? —
那时我如何看待这些字母?这里写着‘Campany’,那是个值得记住的东西,那个字母‘a’和在一个月后再次看这个招牌时会如何看待它? —

What shall I be feeling and thinking then? … —
那时我会感受到什么并且思考着什么呢?… —

How trivial it all must be, what I am fretting about now! Of course it must all be interesting . . —
现在我焦虑的东西多么琐碎!当然,从某种角度来看,这一切都很有趣 . . —

. in its way … (Ha-ha-ha! What am I thinking about? —
…(哈哈哈!我在想什么呢? —

) I am becoming a baby, I am showing off to myself; why am I ashamed? Foo! how people shove! —
)我变成了一个孩子,我在向自己炫耀;为什么我感到羞耻?呸!人们真是推来挤去! —

that fat man–a German he must be–who pushed against me, does he know whom he pushed? —
那个胖胖的男人–他一定是德国人–挤着我,他知道他推了谁吗? —

There’s a peasant woman with a baby, begging. It’s curious that she thinks me happier than she is. —
有一个带着孩子乞讨的农妇。奇怪的是她觉得我比她更幸福。 —

I might give her something, for the incongruity of it. —
我可以给她一些东西,就为了这种不协调。 —

Here’s a five copeck piece left in my pocket, where did I get it? —
口袋里还有一个五戈比的硬币,我哪儿弄来的? —

Here, here … take it, my good woman!”
拿着吧,这位好妇人!”

“God bless you,” the beggar chanted in a lachrymose voice.
“上帝保佑你,” 乞丐用哀伤的声音吟唱着。

He went into the Hay Market. It was distasteful, very distasteful to be in a crowd, but he walked just where he saw most people. —
他走进了干草市场。身处人群中令人讨厌,但他走向人群最密集的地方。 —

He would have given anything in the world to be alone; —
他多么渴望独自一人; —

but he knew himself that he would not have remained alone for a moment. —
但他清楚自己不会一个人待着一分钟。 —

There was a man drunk and disorderly in the crowd; he kept trying to dance and falling down. —
人群中有一个喝醉了并且行为失序的男人;他一直试图跳舞并摔倒。 —

There was a ring round him. Raskolnikov squeezed his way through the crowd, stared for some minutes at the drunken man and suddenly gave a short jerky laugh. —
人群围着他。拉斯科尔尼科夫挤过人群,盯着那个喝醉了的人看了几分钟,突然发出短促而突然的笑声。 —

A minute later he had forgotten him and did not see him, though he still stared. —
一分钟后,他已经忘记了他,再也看不见他,尽管他仍然凝视着。 —

He moved away at last, not remembering where he was; —
最后他离开了,忘记了自己在哪里; —

but when he got into the middle of the square an emotion suddenly came over him, overwhelming him body and mind.
但当他走到广场的中央时,一种感情突然涌上心头,淹没了他的身心。

He suddenly recalled Sonia’s words, “Go to the cross-roads, bow down to the people, kiss the earth, for you have sinned against it too, and say aloud to the whole world, ‘I am a murderer.’ —
他突然想起索尼娅的话,“去十字路口,向人们鞠躬,亲吻大地,因为你也有罪孽,对它犯了罪,然后高声对整个世界说,‘我是一个谋杀犯。’” —

” He trembled, remembering that. And the hopeless misery and anxiety of all that time, especially of the last hours, had weighed so heavily upon him that he positively clutched at the chance of this new unmixed, complete sensation. —
他颤抖着,想起来那件事。那段时间的绝望、痛苦和焦虑,尤其是最后几个小时,如此沉重地压在他身上,以至于他竟然迫不及待地抓住了这种新的、纯粹的感受的机会。 —

It came over him like a fit; it was like a single spark kindled in his soul and spreading fire through him. —
它突如其来地袭击了他,就像是一团火花点燃了他的灵魂,让他全身燃烧。 —

Everything in him softened at once and the tears started into his eyes. —
他的一切都立刻变得柔软起来,眼泪涌入了他的眼睛。 —

He fell to the earth on the spot… .
他跌倒在地上。…

He knelt down in the middle of the square, bowed down to the earth, and kissed that filthy earth with bliss and rapture. —
他跪在广场中间,向大地鞠躬,痴迷地亲吻那肮脏的土地。 —

He got up and bowed down a second time.
他站起来,又鞠了一次躬。

“He’s boozed,” a youth near him observed.
“他喝醉了。”他旁边的一个年轻人观察到。

There was a roar of laughter.
一阵笑声响起。

“He’s going to Jerusalem, brothers, and saying good-bye to his children and his country. —
“他要去耶路撒冷,兄弟们,向他的孩子和他的国家告别。 —

He’s bowing down to all the world and kissing the great city of St. Petersburg and its pavement,” added a workman who was a little drunk.
他向全世界鞠躬,向伟大的圣彼得堡市和它的人行道献吻,” 一个有点醉的工人补充说。

“Quite a young man, too!” observed a third.
“而且还是个年轻人!” 第三个人观察到。

“And a gentleman,” someone observed soberly.
“还有一个绅士,”有人沉着地观察到。

“There’s no knowing who’s a gentleman and who isn’t nowadays.”
“如今没人知道谁是绅士,谁不是。”

These exclamations and remarks checked Raskolnikov, and the words, “I am a murderer,” which were perhaps on the point of dropping from his lips, died away. —
这些感叹和评论让拉斯科尔尼科夫停了下来,那句“我是个凶手”的话或许快要从他嘴里滑出时,却戛然而止了。 —

He bore these remarks quietly, however, and, without looking round, he turned down a street leading to the police office. —
然而他默默承受了这些言论,没有回头,径直向着警察局所在的街道转去。 —

He had a glimpse of something on the way which did not surprise him; —
他路上瞥到了一些事情,这并没有让他感到惊讶; —

he had felt that it must be so. The second time he bowed down in the Hay Market he saw, standing fifty paces from him on the left, Sonia. She was hiding from him behind one of the wooden shanties in the market-place. —
他感觉一定会这样。在干草市场上第二次鞠躬时,他看见,离他左边五十步远,站着索尼娅。她正躲在市场里一处木质棚屋背后。 —

She had followed him then on his painful way! —
原来她就一直跟随着他走这段艰难的路! —

Raskolnikov at that moment felt and knew once for all that Sonia was with him for ever and would follow him to the ends of the earth, wherever fate might take him. —
拉斯科尔尼科夫那一刻感到,并且知道,索尼娅将永远与他同在,无论命运将他带向何方。 —

It wrung his heart … but he was just reaching the fatal place.
这让他心如刀割……但他即将到达那个致命的地点了。

He went into the yard fairly resolutely. He had to mount to the third storey. —
他勇敢地走进了院子。他得上到第三层。 —

“I shall be some time going up,” he thought. —
“上楼要花些时间,”他想道。 —

He felt as though the fateful moment was still far off, as though he had plenty of time left for consideration.
他感到命中注定的时刻还很遥远,仿佛还有足够的时间让他思考。

Again the same rubbish, the same eggshells lying about on the spiral stairs, again the open doors of the flats, again the same kitchens and the same fumes and stench coming from them. —
又是同样的垃圾,同样的螺旋楼梯上散落的蛋壳,又是一样的公寓门开着,一样的厨房和从中散发出的烟雾和臭气。 —

Raskolnikov had not been here since that day. —
自从那天以来,拉斯科尔尼科夫就没来过这里。 —

His legs were numb and gave way under him, but still they moved forward. —
他的腿已经麻木,动起来有点困难,但还是一步一步向前走。 —

He stopped for a moment to take breath, to collect himself, so as to enter /like a man/. “But why? —
他停下来喘口气,收拾一下自己,以便像一个男人一样进去。“但为什么? —

what for?” he wondered, reflecting. “If I must drink the cup what difference does it make? —
为了什么?”他在思考。“如果我必须喝这杯苦酒,那有什么区别? —

The more revolting the better.” He imagined for an instant the figure of the “explosive lieutenant,” Ilya Petrovitch. —
越令人厌恶越好。”他一瞬间幻想起“爆炸性中尉”伊里亚·彼得罗维奇的形象。 —

Was he actually going to him? Couldn’t he go to someone else? To Nikodim Fomitch? —
他真的要去找他吗?不能去找别人吗?找尼古丁·福米奇? —

Couldn’t he turn back and go straight to Nikodim Fomitch’s lodgings? —
不能掉头直接去尼古丁·福米奇家吗? —

At least then it would be done privately… . No, no! —
至少那样会私下进行……不,不! —

To the “explosive lieutenant”! If he must drink it, drink it off at once.
去“爆炸性中尉”!如果必须喝,就一口干了吧。

Turning cold and hardly conscious, he opened the door of the office. —
他转冷了,几乎没有意识地推开了办公室的门。 —

There were very few people in it this time–only a house porter and a peasant. —
这次里面人很少——只有一个门房和一个农民。 —

The doorkeeper did not even peep out from behind his screen. Raskolnikov walked into the next room. —
门卫甚至没有从屏风后探出头来。拉斯科尔尼科夫走进了下一个房间。 —

“Perhaps I still need not speak,” passed through his mind. —
“或许我仍无需开口,”他心里想着。 —

Some sort of clerk not wearing a uniform was settling himself at a bureau to write. —
一个没有穿制服的文员正在一个书桌旁安顿下来写字。 —

In a corner another clerk was seating himself. —
在一个角落里,另一个文员正在坐下来。 —

Zametov was not there, nor, of course, Nikodim Fomitch.
扎梅托夫不在,当然,尼古丁·福米奇也不在。

“No one in?” Raskolnikov asked, addressing the person at the bureau.
“没有人在吗?”拉斯科尔尼科夫问道,对着在办公桌前的人。

“Whom do you want?”
“你想见谁?”

“A-ah! Not a sound was heard, not a sight was seen, but I scent the Russian … —
“啊哦!寂静无声,眼见不见,但我嗅到俄国人的气息。…” —

how does it go on in the fairy tale … I’ve forgotten! —
“童话故事是怎么继续的 … 我忘记了!” —

‘At your service!’” a familiar voice cried suddenly.
“听候吩咐!”一个熟悉的声音突然响起。

Raskolnikov shuddered. The Explosive Lieutenant stood before him. —
拉斯科尔尼科夫打了个寒颤。爆炸性上尉就站在他面前。 —

He had just come in from the third room. —
他刚从第三个房间进来。 —

“It is the hand of fate,” thought Raskolnikov. “Why is he here?”
“这是命运之手,” 拉斯科尔尼科夫想。”他为什么在这里?”

“You’ve come to see us? What about?” cried Ilya Petrovitch. —
“你是来见我们的?有什么事吗?” 依利亚·佩特罗维奇喊道。 —

He was obviously in an exceedingly good humour and perhaps a trifle exhilarated. —
他显然心情非常好,可能有点得意洋洋。 —

“If it’s on business you are rather early.(*) It’s only a chance that I am here … —
“如果是公事你来的有点早。现在我能做些什么呢. …” —

however I’ll do what I can. I must admit, I … —

 —

what is it, what is it? Excuse me… .”
“无论如何我会尽力而为。不得不承认,我…”

(*) Dostoevsky appears to have forgotten that it is after sunset, and that the last time Raskolnikov visited the police office at two in the afternoon he was reproached for coming too late.–TRANSLATOR.
“怎么了,怎么了?抱歉… .”

“Raskolnikov.”
(*) 多斯托耶夫斯基似乎忘记了这是在日落之后,拉斯科尔尼科夫上次是下午两点才去警局,还被责备来得太晚。– 译者。

“Of course, Raskolnikov. You didn’t imagine I’d forgotten? —
“拉斯科尔尼科夫。” —

Don’t think I am like that … Rodion Ro–Ro–Rodionovitch, that’s it, isn’t it?”
不要认为我像那样…罗季翁·罗-罗-罗季奥诺维奇,就是这样,对吧?

“Rodion Romanovitch.”
“罗季翁·罗马诺维奇。”

“Yes, yes, of course, Rodion Romanovitch! I was just getting at it. —
“是的,是的,当然,罗季翁·罗马诺维奇!我只是在暗示罢了。 —

I made many inquiries about you. I assure you I’ve been genuinely grieved since that … —
我对你做了很多打听。我向你保证,自那以后我真的很伤心 … —

since I behaved like that … it was explained to me afterwards that you were a literary man . . —
自从我那样行为不检之后 … 后来有人跟我解释说你是一个文学家 . . —

. and a learned one too … and so to say the first steps … Mercy on us! —
.而且还是个博学多才的人 … 可以说是迈出了第一步 … 天哪! —

What literary or scientific man does not begin by some originality of conduct! —
哪个文学或科学家不是开始时行为怪异! —

My wife and I have the greatest respect for literature, in my wife it’s a genuine passion! —
我太太和我是最尊重文学的,对我太太来说,这是一种真正的激情! —

Literature and art! If only a man is a gentleman, all the rest can be gained by talents, learning, good sense, genius. —
文学与艺术!只要一个人是绅士,其他一切可以靠天赋、学识、理智、才华获得。 —

As for a hat–well, what does a hat matter? I can buy a hat as easily as I can a bun; —
至于一顶帽子–噢,帽子有什么重要呢?我想买一顶帽子像买个小圆面包那么容易; —

but what’s under the hat, what the hat covers, I can’t buy that! —
但帽子下面的东西,帽子遮盖的东西,我买不到! —

I was even meaning to come and apologise to you, but thought maybe you’d … —
我甚至有意向来向你道歉,但想着也许你会 … —

But I am forgetting to ask you, is there anything you want really? —
但我忘了问你,你真正需要什么吗? —

I hear your family have come?”
我听说你家人来了?”

“Yes, my mother and sister.”
“是的,我母亲和妹妹。”

“I’ve even had the honour and happiness of meeting your sister–a highly cultivated and charming person. —
“我甚至有幸见到了你妹妹–一个受过高度教育和迷人的人。” —

I confess I was sorry I got so hot with you. There it is! —
我承认我对你发火感到抱歉。在这里就是事实! —

But as for my looking suspiciously at your fainting fit–that affair has been cleared up splendidly! Bigotry and fanaticism! —
但至于我对你昏厥疑神疑鬼的事情–那件事已经搞得很漂亮了!偏见和狂热! —

I understand your indignation. Perhaps you are changing your lodging on account of your family’s arriving?”
我理解你的愤怒。也许你是因为家人要到了而换了住所?

“No, I only looked in … I came to ask … I thought that I should find Zametov here.”
“不,我只是过来看看……我来找……我以为会在这里找到扎梅托夫。”

“Oh, yes! Of course, you’ve made friends, I heard. Well, no, Zametov is not here. —
“啊,是的!当然,我听说你交了朋友。嗯,扎梅托夫不在这里。 —

Yes, we’ve lost Zametov. He’s not been here since yesterday … —
是的,我们失去了扎梅托夫。他昨天就没来过这里…… —

he quarrelled with everyone on leaving … in the rudest way. —
他离开时和每个人吵了起来……以最粗鲁的方式。 —

He is a feather-headed youngster, that’s all; —
他是个轻率的年轻人,仅此而已; —

one might have expected something from him, but there, you know what they are, our brilliant young men. —
一个人本以为从他身上能看到点东西,但嘿,你知道他们是怎样的,我们那些聪明的年轻人。 —

He wanted to go in for some examination, but it’s only to talk and boast about it, it will go no further than that. —
他想参加某项考试,但只是为了谈论和炫耀,不会有更进一步的事情了。 —

Of course it’s a very different matter with you or Mr. Razumihin there, your friend. —
当然,你和拉祖米欣先生那位,你的朋友,是完全不同的情况。 —

Your career is an intellectual one and you won’t be deterred by failure. —
你的事业是智慧之事,失败不会使你放弃。 —

For you, one may say, all the attractions of life /nihil est/–you are an ascetic, a monk, a hermit! . —
对于你来说,可以说,生活的吸引一概无有——你是一个苦行者,一个修士,一个隐士! —

. . A book, a pen behind your ear, a learned research–that’s where your spirit soars! —
一个书籍,一支笔放在耳后,一次学术研究——你的精神就在那里飞翔! —

I am the same way myself… . Have you read Livingstone’s Travels?”
我也是这样的一个人……你读过利文斯顿的《探险记》吗?

“No.”
“不。”

“Oh, I have. There are a great many Nihilists about nowadays, you know, and indeed it is not to be wondered at. —
“哦,我知道了。现在有许多虚无主义者,这也不足为奇。 —

What sort of days are they? I ask you. But we thought … —
他们是什么时代?我问你。但我们以为… —

you are not a Nihilist of course? Answer me openly, openly!”
你当然不是虚无主义者?坦率地回答我,坦率地!”

“N-no …”
“不,不是…”

“Believe me, you can speak openly to me as you would to yourself! Official duty is one thing but . —
“相信我,你可以像对自己一样坦率地与我说话!官方职责是一回事,但. . —

. . you are thinking I meant to say /friendship/ is quite another? No, you’re wrong! —
你在想我要说的是/友谊/是完全另一回事吗?不,你错了! —

It’s not friendship, but the feeling of a man and a citizen, the feeling of humanity and of love for the Almighty. —
这不是友谊,而是一个男人和一个公民的感情,人类的感情和对全能者的爱。. —

I may be an official, but I am always bound to feel myself a man and a citizen… . —
我可能是一个官员,但我总是感觉自己是一个男人和一个公民。。 —

You were asking about Zametov. Zametov will make a scandal in the French style in a house of bad reputation, over a glass of champagne . —
你在问Zametov。 Zametov会在一个恶名昭著的地方,喝着香槟制造出一场法国风格的丑闻 . . —

. . that’s all your Zametov is good for! —
你的Zametov就是用来这些的! —

While I’m perhaps, so to speak, burning with devotion and lofty feelings, and besides I have rank, consequence, a post! —
而我也许可以说如同燃烧着对奉献和崇高感情的火焰,而且我有地位,影响力,一个职位! —

I am married and have children, I fulfil the duties of a man and a citizen, but who is he, may I ask? —
我结婚了,有孩子,履行着一个男人和一个公民的责任,但他是谁,我可以问? —

I appeal to you as a man ennobled by education … —
我向你作为一个受过教育的人在此求助… —

Then these midwives, too, have become extraordinarily numerous.”
然后这些助产士,也变得异常地多了。”

Raskolnikov raised his eyebrows inquiringly. —
拉斯科尔尼科夫好奇地挑起了眉毛。 —

The words of Ilya Petrovitch, who had obviously been dining, were for the most part a stream of empty sounds for him. —
显然已经用过餐的伊利亚·彼得罗维奇说的大部分话对他来说只是一片空白。 —

But some of them he understood. He looked at him inquiringly, not knowing how it would end.
但他听懂了其中一部分。他好奇地看着他,不知道这个话题将会怎样结束。

“I mean those crop-headed wenches,” the talkative Ilya Petrovitch continued. —
“我说的是那些头发短的女人,“健谈的伊利亚·彼得罗维奇继续说道。 —

“Midwives is my name for them. I think it a very satisfactory one, ha-ha! —
“助产士是我给她们的称呼。我认为这个称呼非常满意,哈哈! —

They go to the Academy, study anatomy. If I fall ill, am I to send for a young lady to treat me? —
她们去学院学解剖。如果我生病了,难道要找一个年轻女士来治疗我吗? —

What do you say? Ha-ha!” Ilya Petrovitch laughed, quite pleased with his own wit. —
你怎么看?哈哈!” 伊利亚·彼得罗维奇笑了起来,对自己的机智感到很满意。 —

“It’s an immoderate zeal for education, but once you’re educated, that’s enough. Why abuse it? —
“对教育的过度热情,但一旦受过教育,那就足够了。为什么要辱骂呢? —

Why insult honourable people, as that scoundrel Zametov does? Why did he insult me, I ask you? —
为什么要侮辱光荣的人,就像那个混蛋扎梅托夫那样?他为什么要侮辱我,你说呢? —

Look at these suicides, too, how common they are, you can’t fancy! —
再看看这些自杀事件,多么普遍啊,你无法想象! —

People spend their last halfpenny and kill themselves, boys and girls and old people. —
人们花尽最后一分钱然后自杀,无论男孩女孩还是老人。 —

Only this morning we heard about a gentleman who had just come to town. —
今天早晨我们听说一个刚到城里的绅士。 —

Nil Pavlitch, I say, what was the name of that gentleman who shot himself?”
尼尔·帕夫利奇,我说,那个开枪自杀的绅士叫什么名字?”

“Svidrigailov,” someone answered from the other room with drowsy listlessness.
“斯维杰戈洛夫,” 有人在另一个房间里迷迷糊糊地回答。

Raskolnikov started.
拉斯科尔尼科夫吃惊地动了一下。

“Svidrigailov! Svidrigailov has shot himself!” he cried.
“司维杰高洛夫!司维杰高洛夫自杀了!”他喊道。

“What, do you know Svidrigailov?”
“你知道司维杰高洛夫吗?”

“Yes … I knew him… . He hadn’t been here long.”
“知道……我认识他……他在这里没待多久。”

“Yes, that’s so. He had lost his wife, was a man of reckless habits and all of a sudden shot himself, and in such a shocking way. —
“是的,是这样。他失去了妻子,是个鲁莽的人,突然间开枪自杀了,而且方式如此可怕。” —

… He left in his notebook a few words: —
“……在他的笔记本上留下了几句话: —

that he dies in full possession of his faculties and that no one is to blame for his death. —
说他在充分清醒的状态下去世,没有人该为他的死负责。 —

He had money, they say. How did you come to know him?”
他有钱,他们说。你是怎么认识他的?”

“I … was acquainted … my sister was governess in his family.”
“我……认识……我的妹妹是他家的家庭教师。”

“Bah-bah-bah! Then no doubt you can tell us something about him. You had no suspicion?”
“咔嚓咔嚓咔嚓!那你一定能告诉我们一些关于他的事。你没有怀疑过他吗?”

“I saw him yesterday … he … was drinking wine; I knew nothing.”
“我昨天见过他……他……在喝酒;我什么都不知道。”

Raskolnikov felt as though something had fallen on him and was stifling him.
罗季甫诺夫感觉好像有什么东西掉在他身上,让他透不过气来。

“You’ve turned pale again. It’s so stuffy here …”
“你又脸色发白了。这里太闷了……”

“Yes, I must go,” muttered Raskolnikov. “Excuse my troubling you… .”
“是的,我必须走了。”罗季甫诺夫喃喃自语。“抱歉打扰你……”

“Oh, not at all, as often as you like. It’s a pleasure to see you and I am glad to say so.”
“哦,一点也不,随时欢迎你。见到你我很高兴,我很乐意这么说。”

Ilya Petrovitch held out his hand.
伊利亚·彼得罗维奇伸出了手。

“I only wanted … I came to see Zametov.”
“我只是想要……我来看札麦托夫。”

“I understand, I understand, and it’s a pleasure to see you.”
“我明白,我明白,见到你真是一种快乐。”

“I … am very glad … good-bye,” Raskolnikov smiled.
“我……非常高兴……再见,” 拉斯科尔尼科夫微笑着。

He went out; he reeled, he was overtaken with giddiness and did not know what he was doing. —
他走出去;他踉踉跄跄,头晕目眩,不知道自己在做什么。 —

He began going down the stairs, supporting himself with his right hand against the wall. —
他开始沿着楼梯下去,用右手靠着墙支撑着自己。 —

He fancied that a porter pushed past him on his way upstairs to the police office, that a dog in the lower storey kept up a shrill barking and that a woman flung a rolling-pin at it and shouted. —
他幻想着一个搬运工从他身边赶上楼去到警察局,底层有只狗发出尖锐的叫声,一个女人扔了一个擀面杖,大声喊叫。 —

He went down and out into the yard. There, not far from the entrance, stood Sonia, pale and horror- stricken. —
他走出去到院子里,离入口不远处站着索尼娅,脸色苍白,充满恐惧。 —

She looked wildly at him. He stood still before her. —
她狂野地望着他。他站在她面前。 —

There was a look of poignant agony, of despair, in her face. She clasped her hands. —
她脸上带着一丝锥心的痛苦和绝望。她合拢双手。 —

His lips worked in an ugly, meaningless smile. —
他嘴唇扭曲着发出一种丑陋而毫无意义的微笑。 —

He stood still a minute, grinned and went back to the police office.
他站在那里一分钟,咧嘴笑了笑,然后又回到了警察局。

Ilya Petrovitch had sat down and was rummaging among some papers. —
伊利亚·彼得罗维奇坐下来在一些文件中翻找。 —

Before him stood the same peasant who had pushed by on the stairs.
站在他面前的是刚刚在楼梯上推过他的那个农民。

“Hulloa! Back again! have you left something behind? What’s the matter?”
“喂!又回来了!是不是忘了什么东西?怎么了?”

Raskolnikov, with white lips and staring eyes, came slowly nearer. —
拉斯科尔尼科夫,嘴唇苍白,眼睛直勾勾地盯着,慢慢走近。 —

He walked right to the table, leaned his hand on it, tried to say something, but could not; —
他走到桌子跟前,用手撑着,试图说些什么,但却说不出来; —

only incoherent sounds were audible.
只能听到毫无意义的声音。

“You are feeling ill, a chair! Here, sit down! Some water!”
“你感觉不舒服,椅子!来,坐下!来些水!”

Raskolnikov dropped on to a chair, but he kept his eyes fixed on the face of Ilya Petrovitch, which expressed unpleasant surprise. —
拉斯科尔尼科夫坐到椅子上,但他的目光仍然紧盯着伊里亚·佩特罗维奇的脸,表情带着不快的惊讶。 —

Both looked at one another for a minute and waited. Water was brought.
两人相互对视了一分钟,并静静等待。水被端来。

“It was I …” began Raskolnikov.
“是我……”拉斯科尔尼科夫开始说。

“Drink some water.”
“喝点水。”

Raskolnikov refused the water with his hand, and softly and brokenly, but distinctly said:
拉斯科尔尼科夫用手推开水,轻声而断断续续地,但清楚地说道:

”/It was I killed the old pawnbroker woman and her sister Lizaveta with an axe and robbed them./”
“是我用斧头杀了那位老当铺老板和她的姐妹丽莎维塔,并抢劫了她们。”

Ilya Petrovitch opened his mouth. People ran up on all sides.
伊里亚·佩特罗维奇张开嘴。人们四面八方涌来。

Raskolnikov repeated his statement.
拉斯科尔尼科夫重复了他的陈述。

……
……