Raskolnikov was already entering the room. —
拉斯科尔尼科夫已经走进了房间。 —

He came in looking as though he had the utmost difficulty not to burst out laughing again. —
他进来的样子看起来好像极力不笑出声。 —

Behind him Razumihin strode in gawky and awkward, shamefaced and red as a peony, with an utterly crestfallen and ferocious expression. —
拉祖米欣笨拙地跟在他后面走进来,脸通红如牡丹花,带着一副尴尬和凶狠的表情。 —

His face and whole figure really were ridiculous at that moment and amply justified Raskolnikov’s laughter. —
他的脸和整个身姿在那一刻真的很可笑,完全让拉斯科尔尼科夫的笑声得到证明。 —

Raskolnikov, not waiting for an introduction, bowed to Porfiry Petrovitch, who stood in the middle of the room looking inquiringly at them. —
拉斯科尔尼科夫没有等待介绍,向中间站着、一脸疑惑地看着他们的波尔菲里·彼得罗维奇鞠了一躬。 —

He held out his hand and shook hands, still apparently making desperate efforts to subdue his mirth and utter a few words to introduce himself. —
他伸出手握手,似乎仍然拼命地试图压抑自己的笑声,并说了几句介绍自己的话。 —

But he had no sooner succeeded in assuming a serious air and muttering something when he suddenly glanced again as though accidentally at Razumihin, and could no longer control himself: —
但他一成功装出认真的样子并嘟囔了几句后,忽然又不经意地看了一眼拉祖米欣,再也无法控制自己: —

his stifled laughter broke out the more irresistibly the more he tried to restrain it. —
他强忍的笑声变得更加不可抗拒,尽管他努力控制。 —

The extraordinary ferocity with which Razumihin received this “spontaneous” mirth gave the whole scene the appearance of most genuine fun and naturalness. —
拉祖米欣对这种“自发”的笑声的异常凶猛接受使整个情景看起来极为真实和自然。 —

Razumihin strengthened this impression as though on purpose.
拉祖米欣更像是刻意加强了这种印象。

“Fool! You fiend,” he roared, waving his arm which at once struck a little round table with an empty tea-glass on it. —
“蠢货!混蛋!”他咆哮着,挥动手臂,一下子打到一个装着空茶杯的小圆桌上。 —

Everything was sent flying and crashing.
一切都被打翻碎。

“But why break chairs, gentlemen? You know it’s a loss to the Crown,” Porfiry Petrovitch quoted gaily.
“但是为什么要打破椅子,先生们?你们知道这对国家是个损失,”波尔菲里·彼得罗维奇欢快地引用。

Raskolnikov was still laughing, with his hand in Porfiry Petrovitch’s, but anxious not to overdo it, awaited the right moment to put a natural end to it. —
拉斯科尔尼科夫还在笑着,一只手握着波尔菲里·彼得罗维奇的手,但他焦急地不想表现得太过火,等待着自然而然地结束笑声的时机。 —

Razumihin, completely put to confusion by upsetting the table and smashing the glass, gazed gloomily at the fragments, cursed and turned sharply to the window where he stood looking out with his back to the company with a fiercely scowling countenance, seeing nothing. —
拉祖米欣被打翻的桌子和打碎的玻璃彻底搞糊涂了,愁眉苦脸地看着碎片,咒骂一番,然后急转身站到了窗前,背对着众人,愤怒的表情看向窗外,眼中仿佛没有看到任何东西。 —

Porfiry Petrovitch laughed and was ready to go on laughing, but obviously looked for explanations. —
波尔菲里·彼得罗维奇笑了起来,准备继续笑,但显然在寻找解释。 —

Zametov had been sitting in the corner, but he rose at the visitors’ entrance and was standing in expectation with a smile on his lips, though he looked with surprise and even it seemed incredulity at the whole scene and at Raskolnikov with a certain embarrassment. —
扎梅托夫一直坐在角落里,但在客人进来时站了起来,充满期待地笑着,尽管看起来对整个场景和拉斯科尔尼科夫有些惊讶,甚至是不可思议。 —

Zametov’s unexpected presence struck Raskolnikov unpleasantly.
扎梅托夫的突然出现令拉斯科尔尼科夫感到不舒服。

“I’ve got to think of that,” he thought. —
“我必须考虑一下这件事,”他想。 —

“Excuse me, please,” he began, affecting extreme embarrassment. “Raskolnikov.”
“请原谅,”他开始,装出极度的尴尬。“拉斯科尔尼科夫。”

“Not at all, very pleasant to see you … and how pleasantly you’ve come in… . —
“一点也不,非常高兴见到你……你进来的方式真是太令人愉快了……” —

Why, won’t he even say good-morning?” Porfiry Petrovitch nodded at Razumihin.
“怎么,你连早安都不说吗?”波尔菲里·彼得罗维奇向拉祖米欣点了点头。

“Upon my honour I don’t know why he is in such a rage with me. —
“我发誓我不知道他为什么对我这么愤怒。” —

I only told him as we came along that he was like Romeo … —
“我们走来的时候我只是告诉他他像罗密欧…” —

and proved it. And that was all, I think!”
“而且证明了。我想这就是全部了!”

“Pig!” ejaculated Razumihin, without turning round.
“畜生!“拉祖米欣不转身喊道。

“There must have been very grave grounds for it, if he is so furious at the word,” Porfiry laughed.
“如果他对这个词如此愤怒,那一定有非常严重的理由,”波尔菲里笑了。

“Oh, you sharp lawyer! … Damn you all!” —
“哦,你这个狡猾的律师! … 去你们全都该死!” —

snapped Razumihin, and suddenly bursting out laughing himself, he went up to Porfiry with a more cheerful face as though nothing had happened. —
拉祖米欣厉声说道,然后突然自己笑了起来,以更加愉快的表情走向波尔菲里,好像什么也没有发生过一样。 —

“That’ll do! We are all fools. To come to business. —
“好了! 我们全都是傻瓜。谈正事吧。 —

This is my friend Rodion Romanovitch Raskolnikov; —
这是我的朋友罗季昂·罗马诺维奇·拉斯科尔尼科夫; —

in the first place he has heard of you and wants to make your acquaintance, and secondly, he has a little matter of business with you. —
在第一次,他听说过你并想要认识你,第二,他有一点事情要找你商量。 —

Bah! Zametov, what brought you here? Have you met before? Have you known each other long?”
巴! 扎梅托夫,你怎么会在这儿? 之前见过面吗? 认识很久了吗?”

“What does this mean?” thought Raskolnikov uneasily.
“这是什么意思?” 拉斯科尔尼科夫不安地想。

Zametov seemed taken aback, but not very much so.
扎梅托夫似乎有点措手不及,但并不十分惊讶。

“Why, it was at your rooms we met yesterday,” he said easily.
“啊,昨天我们在你的房间见过面,”他轻描淡写地说。

“Then I have been spared the trouble. All last week he was begging me to introduce him to you. —
“那我就省事了。上个星期他一直纠缠要我介绍他给你认识。” —

Porfiry and you have sniffed each other out without me. —
Porfiry和你已经在我不知情的情况下互相侦察出来了。 —

Where is your tobacco?”
你的烟草在哪里?

Porfiry Petrovitch was wearing a dressing-gown, very clean linen, and trodden-down slippers. —
Porfiry Petrovitch穿着一件很干净的浴袍,用的是非常干净的亚麻布,踩着磨平的拖鞋。 —

He was a man of about five and thirty, short, stout even to corpulence, and clean shaven. —
他大约三十五岁左右,个子矮,甚至有些肥胖,没有胡须。 —

He wore his hair cut short and had a large round head, particularly prominent at the back. —
他的头发剪得很短,头部特别大而突出。 —

His soft, round, rather snub-nosed face was of a sickly yellowish colour, but had a vigorous and rather ironical expression. —
他圆圆的脸,有点扁平鼻子,颜色呈病态的黄色,但表情生动,有点讽刺。 —

It would have been good-natured except for a look in the eyes, which shone with a watery, mawkish light under almost white, blinking eyelashes. —
除了眼睛里闪着一种水汪汪、惆怅的光芒,他的面孔看起来很友好。 —

The expression of those eyes was strangely out of keeping with his somewhat womanish figure, and gave it something far more serious than could be guessed at first sight.
那双眼睛的表情与他有点女性化的体形极不协调,给人感觉比起初看起来更加严肃。

As soon as Porfiry Petrovitch heard that his visitor had a little matter of business with him, he begged him to sit down on the sofa and sat down himself on the other end, waiting for him to explain his business, with that careful and over-serious attention which is at once oppressive and embarrassing, especially to a stranger, and especially if what you are discussing is in your opinion of far too little importance for such exceptional solemnity. —
当Porfiry Petrovitch听说他的访客有一点事情要商谈,他就请他在沙发上坐下,自己也坐在另一端,等着他解释他的事情,给人一种过分认真和令人尴尬的注意,特别是对于一个陌生人,尤其是如果你认为你讨论的问题对这种例外的庄严来说无关紧要。 —

But in brief and coherent phrases Raskolnikov explained his business clearly and exactly, and was so well satisfied with himself that he even succeeded in taking a good look at Porfiry. —
但拉斯科尔尼科夫用简洁连贯的措辞清晰而准确地解释了他的事务,自己也很满意,甚至成功地端详了Porfiry。 —

Porfiry Petrovitch did not once take his eyes off him. —
Porfiry Petrovitch没有将目光从他身上移开。 —

Razumihin, sitting opposite at the same table, listened warmly and impatiently, looking from one to the other every moment with rather excessive interest.
对面坐着的Razumihin热情而不耐烦地倾听,每时每刻都对两个人来回看,表现出过分浓厚的兴趣。

“Fool,” Raskolnikov swore to himself.
“傻瓜,”拉斯科尔尼科夫自言自语。

“You have to give information to the police,” Porfiry replied, with a most businesslike air, “that having learnt of this incident, that is of the murder, you beg to inform the lawyer in charge of the case that such and such things belong to you, and that you desire to redeem them . —
“你必须向警察提供信息,”Porfiry以一种最商业化的态度回答说,“得知这一事件,也就是谋杀案之后,你恳请通知负责此案的律师,某某东西是你的,你想要赎回它们。 —

. . or … but they will write to you.”
. . 或者 … 但他们会写信给你。”

“That’s just the point, that at the present moment,” Raskolnikov tried his utmost to feign embarrassment, “I am not quite in funds . —
“这正是重点,就在此刻,” 拉斯科尔尼科夫尽最大努力装出尴尬的样子,“我手头不太宽裕。” —

. . and even this trifling sum is beyond me … —
“甚至这点微薄的钱数我都付不起。” —

I only wanted, you see, for the present to declare that the things are mine, and that when I have money… .”
“你看,我目前只是想声明这些东西是我的,等我有了钱……”

“That’s no matter,” answered Porfiry Petrovitch, receiving his explanation of his pecuniary position coldly, “but you can, if you prefer, write straight to me, to say, that having been informed of the matter, and claiming such and such as your property, you beg …”
“这没关系,”波尔菲里•彼得罗维奇冷冷地接受了他财务状况的解释,“但如果你愿意的话,你可以直接写信给我,声明已经得知此事,并声称某某物品是你的财产,你恳求……”

“On an ordinary sheet of paper?” Raskolnikov interrupted eagerly, again interested in the financial side of the question.
“用一张普通的纸吗?” 拉斯科尔尼科夫急切地打断道,再次对问题的财务方面感兴趣。

“Oh, the most ordinary,” and suddenly Porfiry Petrovitch looked with obvious irony at him, screwing up his eyes and, as it were, winking at him. —
“哦,最普通的,”突然间,波尔菲里•彼得罗维奇用明显的讽刺眼神看着他,眼睛眯着,好像在对他眨眼。 —

But perhaps it was Raskolnikov’s fancy, for it all lasted but a moment. —
但也许这只是拉斯科尔尼科夫的幻想,这一切只持续了一会儿。 —

There was certainly something of the sort, Raskolnikov could have sworn he winked at him, goodness knows why.
“确实有这样的事情,”拉斯科尔尼科夫发誓他对他眨了眨眼,天知道为什么。

“He knows,” flashed through his mind like lightning.
“他知道了,”像闪电一样在他脑海中闪过。

“Forgive my troubling you about such trifles,” he went on, a little disconcerted, “the things are only worth five roubles, but I prize them particularly for the sake of those from whom they came to me, and I must confess that I was alarmed when I heard …”
“请原谅我为这种琐事打扰你,”他稍感困惑地继续说,“这些东西只值五卢布,但我特别珍视它们是因为它们来自于我珍爱之人,我必须承认当我听到时我很害怕……”

“That’s why you were so much struck when I mentioned to Zossimov that Porfiry was inquiring for everyone who had pledges!” —
“这就是你在我向佐西莫夫提到波尔菲正在询问每个人的当物时为什么这么吃惊!”拉祖米金有意插话道。 —

Razumihin put in with obvious intention.
“这真是令人无法忍受。拉斯科尔尼科夫不由得瞥了他一眼,黑色眼睛中闪现出一丝复仇的愤怒,但立即控制住了自己。

This was really unbearable. Raskolnikov could not help glancing at him with a flash of vindictive anger in his black eyes, but immediately recollected himself.
“你似乎在嘲笑我,兄弟?”他冷冷地对他说,带着装作恼怒的口吻。

“You seem to be jeering at me, brother?” he said to him, with a well- feigned irritability. —
“我想我对于这种垃圾似乎对你过分焦虑,”请问。 —

“I dare say I do seem to you absurdly anxious about such trash; —
“I dare say I do seem to you absurdly anxious about such trash;.” —

but you mustn’t think me selfish or grasping for that, and these two things may be anything but trash in my eyes. —
但你不要认为我自私或贪婪,这两样东西在我眼中绝非废物。 —

I told you just now that the silver watch, though it’s not worth a cent, is the only thing left us of my father’s. —
我刚才告诉你,这块银表虽然没有价值,却是我父亲留给我们的唯一物品。 —

You may laugh at me, but my mother is here,” he turned suddenly to Porfiry, “and if she knew,” he turned again hurriedly to Razumihin, carefully making his voice tremble, “that the watch was lost, she would be in despair! —
你可能会笑话我,但我母亲就在这里,”他突然转向波尔菲里,”如果她知道,”他又匆忙转向拉祖米欣,小心翼翼地让声音颤抖,”表丢了,她会绝望的! —

You know what women are!”
你知道女人是怎样的!

“Not a bit of it! I didn’t mean that at all! Quite the contrary!” shouted Razumihin distressed.
“一点都不是!我完全不是那个意思!”拉祖米欣焦急地喊道。

“Was it right? Was it natural? Did I overdo it?” —
“这样做对吗?是自然的吗?我是不是过火了?” —

Raskolnikov asked himself in a tremor. “Why did I say that about women?”
拉斯科尔尼科夫心急如焚地问自己。”我为什么要说女人的那句话呢?”

“Oh, your mother is with you?” Porfiry Petrovitch inquired.
波尔菲里·彼得罗维奇询问道:”你母亲和你在一起?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“When did she come?”
“她什么时候来的?”

“Last night.”
“昨晚。”

Porfiry paused as though reflecting.
波尔菲里停顿了一下,仿佛在思考。

“Your things would not in any case be lost,” he went on calmly and coldly. —
“你的东西无论如何都不会丢失,”他冷静地继续说。 —

“I have been expecting you here for some time.”
“我早就在这里等你了。”

And as though that was a matter of no importance, he carefully offered the ash-tray to Razumihin, who was ruthlessly scattering cigarette ash over the carpet. —
就好像那并不重要一样,他小心翼翼地把烟灰缸递给了肆意在地毯上撒烟灰的拉祖米欣。 —

Raskolnikov shuddered, but Porfiry did not seem to be looking at him, and was still concerned with Razumihin’s cigarette.
拉斯科尔尼科夫打了一个寒战,但波尔菲里似乎没有看着他,仍在关注拉祖米欣的烟。

“What? Expecting him? Why, did you know that he had pledges /there/?” cried Razumihin.
“什么?在期待他吗?为什么,你知道他在那里有当铺吗?”拉祖米欣喊道。

Porfiry Petrovitch addressed himself to Raskolnikov.
波尔菲里·彼得罗维奇转向拉斯科尔尼科夫。

“Your things, the ring and the watch, were wrapped up together, and on the paper your name was legibly written in pencil, together with the date on which you left them with her …”
“你的东西,戒指和手表,被一起包裹在一起,纸上清楚地用铅笔写着你的名字,和你把它们留给她的日期……”

“How observant you are!” Raskolnikov smiled awkwardly, doing his very utmost to look him straight in the face, but he failed, and suddenly added:
“你观察得真仔细啊!”拉斯科尔尼科夫尴尬地笑了笑,竭力直视着他的眼睛,但他失败了,突然又补充道:

“I say that because I suppose there were a great many pledges … —
“我这么说是因为我想,可能有很多当铺……” —

that it must be difficult to remember them all… . —
就是有许多,所以记不住它们必然是困难的……” —

But you remember them all so clearly, and … and …”
“但你把它们都记得那么清楚,而且……而且……”

“Stupid! Feeble!” he thought. “Why did I add that?”
“蠢!软弱!”他心想。“为什么要补充那句呢?”

“But we know all who had pledges, and you are the only one who hasn’t come forward,” Porfiry answered with hardly perceptible irony.
“但我们知道所有有当铺物品的人,而你是唯一没有前来的,” 波尔菲里几乎带着看不见的讽刺回答。

“I haven’t been quite well.”
“我身体不太好。”

“I heard that too. I heard, indeed, that you were in great distress about something. —
“我也听说了。我确实听说你为某事感到极度烦恼。 —

You look pale still.”
你看起来还是有些苍白。”

“I am not pale at all… . No, I am quite well,” Raskolnikov snapped out rudely and angrily, completely changing his tone. —
“我一点儿也不苍白……不,我很健康。” 拉斯科尔尼科夫粗暴而愤怒地急切说道,完全改变了他的口气。 —

His anger was mounting, he could not repress it. —
他的愤怒在逐渐爆发,他无法控制。 —

“And in my anger I shall betray myself,” flashed through his mind again. —
“我的愤怒会让我暴露自己。” 他脑海中闪过这个念头。 —

“Why are they torturing me?”
“他们为什么折磨我?”

“Not quite well!” Razumihin caught him up. “What next! —
“还不太好!” 拉兹姆亨一下子明白了,“接下来呢!” —

He was unconscious and delirious all yesterday. —
他昨天一整天都处于昏迷和谵妄状态。 —

Would you believe, Porfiry, as soon as our backs were turned, he dressed, though he could hardly stand, and gave us the slip and went off on a spree somewhere till midnight, delirious all the time! —
“你能相信吗,波尔菲里,我们一转身他就穿好衣服,虽然他几乎站不稳,然后溜之大吉,出去狂欢到半夜,一直都处于谵妄状态!” —

Would you believe it! Extraordinary!”
“你能相信吗!太离奇了!”

“Really delirious? You don’t say so!” Porfiry shook his head in a womanish way.
“真的谵妄?难以置信!” 波尔菲里女人般地摇摇头。

“Nonsense! Don’t you believe it! But you don’t believe it anyway,” Raskolnikov let slip in his anger. —
“胡说!你别相信!但无论如何你都不会相信。” 拉斯科尔尼科夫生气地说漏了嘴。 —

But Porfiry Petrovitch did not seem to catch those strange words.
但波尔菲里·彼得罗维奇似乎没有注意到那些奇怪的话。

“But how could you have gone out if you hadn’t been delirious?” Razumihin got hot suddenly. —
“难道你不是谵妄的情况下出去的吗?” 拉兹姆亨突然变得激动起来。 —

“What did you go out for? What was the object of it? And why on the sly? —
“你出去干嘛?目的是什么?为什么偷偷摸摸地出去?” —

Were you in your senses when you did it? —
“你那时候神志清醒吗?” —

Now that all danger is over I can speak plainly.”
“现在危险已经过去了,我可以坦率地说了。”

“I was awfully sick of them yesterday.” Raskolnikov addressed Porfiry suddenly with a smile of insolent defiance, “I ran away from them to take lodgings where they wouldn’t find me, and took a lot of money with me. —
“昨天我真是受够了他们。” 拉斯科尔尼科夫向波尔菲里挑衅地一笑,“我逃离他们,找了个他们找不到我的地方住下,还带了很多钱。 —

Mr. Zametov there saw it. I say, Mr. Zametov, was I sensible or delirious yesterday; —
“扎梅托夫先生在场看到了。我问,扎梅托夫先生,昨天我是明智的还是谵妄的? —

settle our dispute.”
解决我们的争端。

He could have strangled Zametov at that moment, so hateful were his expression and his silence to him.
在那一刻他几乎想勒死扎梅托夫,他那么恨他的表情和沉默。

“In my opinion you talked sensibly and even artfully, but you were extremely irritable,” Zametov pronounced dryly.
“依我看,你谈得很明智,甚至很巧妙,但你当时极为易怒,”扎梅托夫干巴巴地说道。

“And Nikodim Fomitch was telling me to-day,” put in Porfiry Petrovitch, “that he met you very late last night in the lodging of a man who had been run over.”
“而尼古第姆·福密奇今天告诉我,他很晚在一个被撞倒的人的住处里见到了你。”波尔菲里·彼得罗维奇插话说。

“And there,” said Razumihin, “weren’t you mad then? —
“那时你难道不疯了吗?”拉祖米欣说。 —

You gave your last penny to the widow for the funeral. —
你把最后一分钱都给了寡妇用于丧葬。 —

If you wanted to help, give fifteen or twenty even, but keep three roubles for yourself at least, but he flung away all the twenty-five at once!”
如果你想帮忙,就给十五或二十块,但至少留下三卢布给自己,他却一下子扔掉了所有的二十五块!

“Maybe I found a treasure somewhere and you know nothing of it? —
“也许我在某处找到了宝藏,你一无所知? —

So that’s why I was liberal yesterday… . Mr. Zametov knows I’ve found a treasure! —
所以昨天我才那么慷慨……扎梅托夫先生知道我找到了宝藏! —

Excuse us, please, for disturbing you for half an hour with such trivialities,” he said, turning to Porfiry Petrovitch, with trembling lips. —
请原谅我们,打扰您半小时处理这种琐事,”他颤抖着唇对波尔菲里·彼得罗维奇说。 —

“We are boring you, aren’t we?”
“我们在让你厌烦,对吧?”

“Oh no, quite the contrary, quite the contrary! If only you knew how you interest me! —
“噢不,正好相反,正好相反!如果你知道你是多么让我感兴趣! —

It’s interesting to look on and listen … —
观察和倾听是很有趣的…… —

and I am really glad you have come forward at last.”
我真的很高兴你终于站了出来。”

“But you might give us some tea! My throat’s dry,” cried Razumihin.
“但你可以给我们些茶!我的喉咙渴了。”拉祖米欣喊道。

“Capital idea! Perhaps we will all keep you company. —
“好主意!也许我们都会陪伴你。 —

Wouldn’t you like … something more essential before tea?”
在喝茶之前,你不想…先来点更重要的东西吗?

“Get along with you!”
“走吧!”

Porfiry Petrovitch went out to order tea.
波尔菲里·彼得罗维奇出去订茶。

Raskolnikov’s thoughts were in a whirl. He was in terrible exasperation.
拉斯科尔尼科夫的思绪纷乱。他感到非常恼火。

“The worst of it is they don’t disguise it; they don’t care to stand on ceremony! —
“最糟糕的是,他们不隐藏这一点;他们不在乎讲究礼节! —

And how if you didn’t know me at all, did you come to talk to Nikodim Fomitch about me? —
如果你根本不认识我,你是怎么去找尼古丁·福米奇谈论我的呢? —

So they don’t care to hide that they are tracking me like a pack of dogs. —
所以他们毫不掩饰,像一群狗一样跟踪我。 —

They simply spit in my face.” He was shaking with rage. —
他气得发抖。“他们干脆当着我的面对我唾沫横飞。” —

“Come, strike me openly, don’t play with me like a cat with a mouse. —
“来吧,公开打我,不要像玩猫抓老鼠一样。 —

It’s hardly civil, Porfiry Petrovitch, but perhaps I won’t allow it! —
波尔菲里·彼得罗维奇,这几乎算不上礼貌,但也许我不会容忍! —

I shall get up and throw the whole truth in your ugly faces, and you’ll see how I despise you.” —
我将站起来,把全部真相摆在你们丑陋的脸上,你们就会看到我是多么鄙视你们。” —

He could hardly breathe. “And what if it’s only my fancy? —
他几乎无法呼吸。“如果这只是我的妄想呢? —

What if I am mistaken, and through inexperience I get angry and don’t keep up my nasty part? —
如果是我错了,因为缺乏经验而生气,没能保持我的恶劣角色? —

Perhaps it’s all unintentional. All their phrases are the usual ones, but there is something about them. —
也许这一切都是无意的。他们说的话都是寻常的,但其中有些不对劲。 —

… It all might be said, but there is something. Why did he say bluntly, ‘With her’? —
所有都可能被说出来,但有一些事情。为什么他直率地说“跟她”呢? —

Why did Zametov add that I spoke artfully? Why do they speak in that tone? Yes, the tone… . —
Zametov为什么要补充说我说话有技巧?他们为什么用那种语气说话?是的,语气…… —

Razumihin is sitting here, why does he see nothing? —
Razumihin就坐在这里,为什么他什么也看不见? —

That innocent blockhead never does see anything! Feverish again! Did Porfiry wink at me just now? —
那个天真的蠢货从来什么都看不出来!又开始发烧了!刚才Porfiry向我眨眨眼了吗? —

Of course it’s nonsense! What could he wink for? —
当然这是无稽之谈!他为什么要眨眼呢? —

Are they trying to upset my nerves or are they teasing me? Either it’s ill fancy or they know! —
他们是在试图激怒我的神经吗,还是在取笑我?要么是错觉,要么是他们知道了! —

Even Zametov is rude… . Is Zametov rude? Zametov has changed his mind. —
连Zametov也很粗鲁…… Zametov很粗鲁吗?Zametov改变了主意。 —

I foresaw he would change his mind! He is at home here, while it’s my first visit. —
我预料到他会改变主意!他在这里很自在,而这是我的第一次来访。 —

Porfiry does not consider him a visitor; sits with his back to him. —
Porfiry不把他看成来访者;背对着他坐着。 —

They’re as thick as thieves, no doubt, over me! —
他们肯定是在密谋,针对我的! —

Not a doubt they were talking about me before we came. Do they know about the flat? —
毫无疑问他们在我们来之前就在谈论我。他们知道这套公寓的事吗? —

If only they’d make haste! When I said that I ran away to take a flat he let it pass… . —
要是他们能快点就好了!我说我逃走是为了租个公寓,他听而不闻…… —

I put that in cleverly about a flat, it may be of use afterwards… . Delirious, indeed … —
我巧妙地提到了关于公寓的事,以后可能有用…… 神志不清,确实…… —

ha-ha-ha! He knows all about last night! He didn’t know of my mother’s arrival! —
哈哈哈!他对昨晚的事情了如指掌!他不知道我母亲的到来! —

The hag had written the date on in pencil! You are wrong, you won’t catch me! There are no facts . —
那个老妇人用铅笔写下了日期!你错了,你们抓不到我!没有事实。 —

. . it’s all supposition! You produce facts! The flat even isn’t a fact but delirium. —
这全是猜测!你还是提供事实吧!那个公寓甚至不是事实,而是妄想。 —

I know what to say to them… . Do they know about the flat? I won’t go without finding out. —
我知道要对他们说什么……他们知道那个公寓吗?我不会在没有弄清楚的情况下离开。 —

What did I come for? But my being angry now, maybe is a fact! Fool, how irritable I am! —
我来这里干嘛了?但我现在生气了,也许这就是事实!傻瓜,我为什么这么易怒? —

Perhaps that’s right; to play the invalid… . —
也许你说得对;装病来演戏…… —

He is feeling me. He will try to catch me. Why did I come?”
他在监视我。他会试图抓住我。我为什么来了?

All this flashed like lightning through his mind.
所有这些都像闪电般在他脑海中闪过。

Porfiry Petrovitch returned quickly. He became suddenly more jovial.
波尔菲里·彼得罗维奇很快回来了。他突然变得更为愉快。

“Your party yesterday, brother, has left my head rather… . —
昨天的聚会,兄弟,使我的头有点混乱…… —

And I am out of sorts altogether,” he began in quite a different tone, laughing to Razumihin.
我整个人都感觉不对劲,”他开始以完全不同的口吻对拉祖米欣笑说。

“Was it interesting? I left you yesterday at the most interesting point. Who got the best of it?”
“昨天的情况有趣吗?我昨天在最有趣的时刻离开了你们。谁占上风了?”

“Oh, no one, of course. They got on to everlasting questions, floated off into space.”
“哦,当然没人占上风。他们谈到无休无止的问题,漂浮在空间中。

“Only fancy, Rodya, what we got on to yesterday. —
“想象一下,罗底亚,我们昨天讨论了什么。 —

Whether there is such a thing as crime. I told you that we talked our heads off.”
是否有罪恶这种东西。我告诉过你我们谈得头晕目眩。

“What is there strange? It’s an everyday social question,” Raskolnikov answered casually.
“这有什么奇怪的?这是日常社会问题,”拉斯科尔尼科夫漫不经心地回答。

“The question wasn’t put quite like that,” observed Porfiry.
“问题并不是那么简单,”波尔菲里观察到。

“Not quite, that’s true,” Razumihin agreed at once, getting warm and hurried as usual. —
“不完全对,那是真的,”拉祖米欣立刻同意了,像往常一样变得热情和匆忙。 —

“Listen, Rodion, and tell us your opinion, I want to hear it. —
“听着,罗季恩,告诉我们你的观点,我想听听。 —

I was fighting tooth and nail with them and wanted you to help me. I told them you were coming… —
我正在拼命地和他们争论,想让你帮忙。我告诉他们你要来了。。。 —

. It began with the socialist doctrine. You know their doctrine; —
它始于社会主义信条。你知道他们的信条; —

crime is a protest against the abnormality of the social organisation and nothing more, and nothing more; —
犯罪仅仅是针对社会组织的不正常性的抗议,仅此而已;仅此而已; —

no other causes admitted! …”
不承认其他原因!。。。”

“You are wrong there,” cried Porfiry Petrovitch; —
“你错了,”波尔菲里·佩特罗维奇喊道; —

he was noticeably animated and kept laughing as he looked at Razumihin, which made him more excited than ever.
他明显地兴奋起来,一边看着拉祖米欣笑,这让他比以往更兴奋。

“Nothing is admitted,” Razumihin interrupted with heat.
“一概不允许,”拉祖米欣激动地打断道。

“I am not wrong. I’ll show you their pamphlets. —
“我没错。我会给你看他们的小册子。 —

Everything with them is ‘the influence of environment,’ and nothing else. Their favourite phrase! —
他们所有东西都是‘环境的影响’,没有其他东西。 他们最喜欢的短语! —

From which it follows that, if society is normally organised, all crime will cease at once, since there will be nothing to protest against and all men will become righteous in one instant. —
由此可推断,如果社会正常组织,所有犯罪将立刻停止,因为没有什么可以抗议的,所有人会立刻变得正直。 —

Human nature is not taken into account, it is excluded, it’s not supposed to exist! —
人性没有被考虑在内,被排除在外,它不应该存在! —

They don’t recognise that humanity, developing by a historical living process, will become at last a normal society, but they believe that a social system that has come out of some mathematical brain is going to organise all humanity at once and make it just and sinless in an instant, quicker than any living process! —
他们不承认人类通过历史的生活进程发展最终会成为一个正常的社会,但他们相信,从某个数学大脑中生成的社会系统会一下子组织起所有人类,并使之变得正义和无罪,比任何生命进程都要快! —

That’s why they instinctively dislike history, ‘nothing but ugliness and stupidity in it,’ and they explain it all as stupidity! —
这就是为什么他们本能地讨厌历史,‘里面全是丑恶和愚蠢’,他们把一切都归结为愚蠢!” —

That’s why they so dislike the /living/ process of life; they don’t want a /living soul/! —
这就是为什么他们如此厌恶生命的过程;他们不想要一个活生生的灵魂! —

The living soul demands life, the soul won’t obey the rules of mechanics, the soul is an object of suspicion, the soul is retrograde! —
活生生的灵魂要求生活,灵魂不会顺从机械的规则,灵魂是可疑的对象,灵魂是倒退的! —

But what they want though it smells of death and can be made of India-rubber, at least is not alive, has no will, is servile and won’t revolt! —
但是他们想要的虽然带着死亡气息,可以做成印度橡胶,至少不是活着的,没有意志,是奴隶且不会反抗! —

And it comes in the end to their reducing everything to the building of walls and the planning of rooms and passages in a phalanstery! —
最终他们把一切都简化为修筑墙壁,规划公寓的房间和通道! —

The phalanstery is ready, indeed, but your human nature is not ready for the phalanstery–it wants life, it hasn’t completed its vital process, it’s too soon for the graveyard! —
公寓已经准备好了,但是你们的人性还没有准备好接受公寓–它渴望生活,尚未完成生命过程,现在还太早入坟墓! —

You can’t skip over nature by logic. Logic presupposes three possibilities, but there are millions! —
你不能通过逻辑跳过自然。逻辑预设三种可能性,但有数以百万计! —

Cut away a million, and reduce it all to the question of comfort! —
扔掉一百万,把一切都归结为舒适问题! —

That’s the easiest solution of the problem! It’s seductively clear and you musn’t think about it. —
那是问题的最简单解决方法!逻辑清晰而具有诱惑力,不要去想。 —

That’s the great thing, you mustn’t think! —
这是伟大的事情,你们不要思考! —

The whole secret of life in two pages of print!”
生活的整个秘密就在两页纸上!

“Now he is off, beating the drum! Catch hold of him, do!” laughed Porfiry. —
“现在他开始敲鼓了!抓住他,快!”波尔菲里笑道。 —

“Can you imagine,” he turned to Raskolnikov, “six people holding forth like that last night, in one room, with punch as a preliminary! —
“你能想象,”他转向拉斯科尔尼科夫,“昨晚在一个房间里,六个人像那样说话,还喝了先手打出的水果酒! —

No, brother, you are wrong, environment accounts for a great deal in crime; —
不,兄弟,你错了,环境在犯罪中占有很大一部分; —

I can assure you of that.”
我可以向你保证。”

“Oh, I know it does, but just tell me: a man of forty violates a child of ten; —
“哦,我知道环境确实起作用,但告诉我:一个四十岁的人强奸一个十岁的孩子; —

was it environment drove him to it?”
是环境驱使他这样做的吗?

“Well, strictly speaking, it did,” Porfiry observed with noteworthy gravity; —
“嗯,严格来说,的确是的,”波尔菲里庄重地观察着说; —

“a crime of that nature may be very well ascribed to the influence of environment.”
“那种性质的罪行确实可以归因于环境的影响。”

Razumihin was almost in a frenzy. “Oh, if you like,” he roared. —
拉兹米欣几乎陷入狂热状态。“哦,如果你愿意的话,”他吼道。 —

“I’ll prove to you that your white eyelashes may very well be ascribed to the Church of Ivan the Great’s being two hundred and fifty feet high, and I will prove it clearly, exactly, progressively, and even with a Liberal tendency! —
“我会向你证明,你的白色睫毛很可能是由于伊凡大帝教堂高达两百五十英尺的原因,我会清楚,准确,逐步地证明这一点,甚至带有一种自由主义的倾向!” —

I undertake to! Will you bet on it?”
我安排了!你要打赌吗?

“Done! Let’s hear, please, how he will prove it!”
“成交!请听他怎么证明吧!”

“He is always humbugging, confound him,” cried Razumihin, jumping up and gesticulating. —
“他总是在耍诈,见鬼的,”拉兹米欣跳起来挥舞着手臂。 —

“What’s the use of talking to you? He does all that on purpose; you don’t know him, Rodion! —
“跟你说话有什么用?他故意这样做的;你不了解他,罗季昂! —

He took their side yesterday, simply to make fools of them. And the things he said yesterday! —
昨天他站在他们那边,只是为了愚弄他们。他昨天说的那些话! —

And they were delighted! He can keep it up for a fortnight together. —
他们都高兴坏了!他能连续保持这种状态两个星期。 —

Last year he persuaded us that he was going into a monastery: he stuck to it for two months. —
去年他说服我们他要进修道院:他坚持了两个月。 —

Not long ago he took it into his head to declare he was going to get married, that he had everything ready for the wedding. —
不久前他突然宣布他要结婚了,说他已经准备好了婚礼。 —

He ordered new clothes indeed. We all began to congratulate him. —
他甚至订购了新衣服。我们都开始祝贺他。 —

There was no bride, nothing, all pure fantasy!”
没有新娘,什么都没有,全都是纯幻想!”

“Ah, you are wrong! I got the clothes before. —
“啊,你错了!我是先买了衣服的。 —

It was the new clothes in fact that made me think of taking you in.”
事实上是新衣服让我想起要带你进来。”

“Are you such a good dissembler?” Raskolnikov asked carelessly.
“你是这么善于伪装吗?” 拉斯科尔尼科夫漫不经心地问道。

“You wouldn’t have supposed it, eh? Wait a bit, I shall take you in, too. Ha-ha-ha! —
“你以为我难道不会?等等,我也会骗你的。哈哈哈! —

No, I’ll tell you the truth. All these questions about crime, environment, children, recall to my mind an article of yours which interested me at the time. —
不,我告诉你真相。关于犯罪、环境、孩子的所有这些问题让我想起了你的一篇文章,当时我对此很感兴趣。 —

‘On Crime’ … or something of the sort, I forget the title, I read it with pleasure two months ago in the /Periodical Review/.”
‘犯罪’……或者类似的东西,我忘记了标题,我两个月前在《期刊评论》上愉快地阅读过。”

“My article? In the /Periodical Review/?” Raskolnikov asked in astonishment. —
“我的文章?在《期刊评论》上?” 拉斯科尔尼科夫惊讶地问道。 —

“I certainly did write an article upon a book six months ago when I left the university, but I sent it to the /Weekly Review/.”
“我确实写过一篇关于一本书的文章,是在我离开大学六个月前写的,但我把它发到了《每周评论》。”

“But it came out in the /Periodical/.”
“但它发表在《期刊评论》上。”

“And the /Weekly Review/ ceased to exist, so that’s why it wasn’t printed at the time.”
“而《每周评论》倒闭了,所以当时它没有被印出来。”

“That’s true; but when it ceased to exist, the /Weekly Review/ was amalgamated with the /Periodical/, and so your article appeared two months ago in the latter. Didn’t you know?”
“没错;但当它倒闭时,《每周评论》被合并到《期刊评论》里,所以你的文章两个月前出现在了后者。难道你不知道吗?”

Raskolnikov had not known.
拉斯科尔尼科夫不知道。

“Why, you might get some money out of them for the article! What a strange person you are! —
“为什么不从他们那里得点钱呢?你是多么奇怪的人! —

You lead such a solitary life that you know nothing of matters that concern you directly. —
你过着如此孤独的生活,以至于对直接关系到你的事情一无所知。 —

It’s a fact, I assure you.”
这是事实,我向你保证。”

“Bravo, Rodya! I knew nothing about it either!” cried Razumihin. —
“勇敢,罗杰!我也对此一无所知!”拉兹姆欣喊道。 —

“I’ll run to-day to the reading-room and ask for the number. Two months ago? —
“我今天会去阅览室,询问一下期刊号。两个月前? —

What was the date? It doesn’t matter though, I will find it. —
“日期是什么?不过没关系,我会找到的。 —

Think of not telling us!”
“别告诉我们思考!”

“How did you find out that the article was mine? It’s only signed with an initial.”
“你是怎么发现那篇文章是我的?只有一个缩写签名。

“I only learnt it by chance, the other day. Through the editor; —
“我只是前几天偶然发现的。通过编辑; —

I know him… . I was very much interested.”
“我很感兴趣。”

“I analysed, if I remember, the psychology of a criminal before and after the crime.”
“我记得,我分析了犯罪分子在犯罪前后的心理。”

“Yes, and you maintained that the perpetration of a crime is always accompanied by illness. —
“是的,你坚持认为犯罪总是伴随着疾病。 —

Very, very original, but … it was not that part of your article that interested me so much, but an idea at the end of the article which I regret to say you merely suggested without working it out clearly. —
“非常独特,但是……并不是你文章中吸引我的那部分,而是文章末尾提出的一个想法,我很遗憾地看到你只是含糊地提出了这个想法而没有明确阐述。 —

There is, if you recollect, a suggestion that there are certain persons who can … —
“你记得吗,有一个建议,说有某些人可以…… —

that is, not precisely are able to, but have a perfect right to commit breaches of morality and crimes, and that the law is not for them.”
也就是说,不是准确地说他们有能力,而是有权利违反道德和犯罪,而法律不适用于他们。”

Raskolnikov smiled at the exaggerated and intentional distortion of his idea.
拉斯科尔尼科夫对他观点被夸大和故意歪曲表示微笑。

“What? What do you mean? A right to crime? —
“什么?你是什么意思?有犯罪的权利? —

But not because of the influence of environment?” —
“但不是因为环境的影响吗?” —

Razumihin inquired with some alarm even.
拉祖米欣甚至有点惊慌地询问。

“No, not exactly because of it,” answered Porfiry. —
“不,不完全是因为环境,”波尔菲里回答道。 —

“In his article all men are divided into ‘ordinary’ and ‘extraordinary.’ —
“在他的文章中,所有人被分为’普通人’和’非凡人’。 —

Ordinary men have to live in submission, have no right to transgress the law, because, don’t you see, they are ordinary. —
普通人必须顺从生活,没有权利违反法律,因为,你看,他们是普通人。 —

But extraordinary men have a right to commit any crime and to transgress the law in any way, just because they are extraordinary. —
但是非凡人有权利犯任何罪,以任何方式违反法律,只因为他们是非凡的。 —

That was your idea, if I am not mistaken?”
那是你的想法,如果我没记错的话?”

“What do you mean? That can’t be right?” Razumihin muttered in bewilderment.
“你是什么意思?那不可能是对的?”拉祖米欣迷惑地喃喃道。

Raskolnikov smiled again. He saw the point at once, and knew where they wanted to drive him. —
拉斯科尔尼科夫再次微笑了。他立刻就明白了他们想要把他逼到什么地步。 —

He decided to take up the challenge.
他决定接受挑战。

“That wasn’t quite my contention,” he began simply and modestly. —
“那并不完全是我的观点,“他简单而谦逊地开始说。 —

“Yet I admit that you have stated it almost correctly; perhaps, if you like, perfectly so.” —
“不过我承认你几乎说得准确;也许,如果你愿意的话,可以说是完全准确的。 —

(It almost gave him pleasure to admit this. —
(他几乎感到快乐这样承认。) —

) “The only difference is that I don’t contend that extraordinary people are always bound to commit breaches of morals, as you call it. —
“唯一的区别是我并不认为非凡的人总是必须犯道德的违背,就像你所说的那样。 —

In fact, I doubt whether such an argument could be published. —
实际上,我怀疑这样的论点能否发表。 —

I simply hinted that an ‘extraordinary’ man has the right … —
我只是暗示一个‘非凡’人有权利 … —

that is not an official right, but an inner right to decide in his own conscience to overstep … —
那不是官方的权利,而是内心的权利,可以在他自己的良心中决定越过 … —

certain obstacles, and only in case it is essential for the practical fulfilment of his idea (sometimes, perhaps, of benefit to the whole of humanity). —
某些阻碍,仅在对他自己的理念的实际实现至关重要的情况下(有时,也许对整个人类有益)。 —

You say that my article isn’t definite; I am ready to make it as clear as I can. —
你说我的文章不明确; 我愿意尽可能澄清。 —

Perhaps I am right in thinking you want me to; very well. —
也许我猜对了你想让我这么做; 很好。 —

I maintain that if the discoveries of Kepler and Newton could not have been made known except by sacrificing the lives of one, a dozen, a hundred, or more men, Newton would have had the right, would indeed have been in duty bound . —
我主张如果不牺牲一人,一打人,甚至一百人或更多人的命运,开普勒和牛顿的发现就无法被宣布,那么牛顿将有权利,事实上应该有责任 … —

. . to /eliminate/ the dozen or the hundred men for the sake of making his discoveries known to the whole of humanity. —
. . 为了让他的发现为整个人类所知被公布而消灭这一打或一百人。 —

But it does not follow from that that Newton had a right to murder people right and left and to steal every day in the market. —
但从这并不意味着牛顿有权利每天在市场上谋杀人或骗取。 —

Then, I remember, I maintain in my article that all … —
然后,我记得,在我的文章中,我坚持认为所有…… —

well, legislators and leaders of men, such as Lycurgus, Solon, Mahomet, Napoleon, and so on, were all without exception criminals, from the very fact that, making a new law, they transgressed the ancient one, handed down from their ancestors and held sacred by the people, and they did not stop short at bloodshed either, if that bloodshed–often of innocent persons fighting bravely in defence of ancient law–were of use to their cause. —
嗯,立法者和人民领袖,比如吕刻尔古斯、索隆、穆罕默德、拿破仑等,无一例外都是罪犯,因为他们制定新法律时违反了祖先传下来并被人民视为神圣的古老法律,并且他们也不惜流血,如果那种流血——往往是为了捍卫古老法律而勇敢作战的无辜人士的血——对他们的事业有利的话。 —

It’s remarkable, in fact, that the majority, indeed, of these benefactors and leaders of humanity were guilty of terrible carnage. —
实际上值得注意的是,事实上多数这些恩人和人类领袖都有可怕的大量杀戮罪行。 —

In short, I maintain that all great men or even men a little out of the common, that is to say capable of giving some new word, must from their very nature be criminals–more or less, of course. —
简而言之,我坚持认为所有伟大的人,甚至是有点超乎寻常的人,也就是说有能力说出一些新话的人,因为天生本性如此,都必须是罪犯——或多或少。 —

Otherwise it’s hard for them to get out of the common rut; —
否则他们很难摆脱寻常俗套; —

and to remain in the common rut is what they can’t submit to, from their very nature again, and to my mind they ought not, indeed, to submit to it. —
而且从他们的本性来看,留在俗套中是他们无法容忍的,而且在我看来,他们确实不应该屈服于其间。 —

You see that there is nothing particularly new in all that. —
可以看到,这一切并非特别新颖。 —

The same thing has been printed and read a thousand times before. —
相同的事情已经印刷和阅读了一千次以上。 —

As for my division of people into ordinary and extraordinary, I acknowledge that it’s somewhat arbitrary, but I don’t insist upon exact numbers. —
至于我的将人分为普通和非凡部分,我承认这有点主观,但我不坚持精确的数量。 —

I only believe in my leading idea that men are /in general/ divided by a law of nature into two categories, inferior (ordinary), that is, so to say, material that serves only to reproduce its kind, and men who have the gift or the talent to utter /a new word/. —
我只相信我的主导思想,即人们/一般来说/根据自然规律被分为两类,较低(普通)即,可以说是仅用来繁衍后代的材料,和有才能或天赋说出/新话的人。 —

There are, of course, innumerable sub- divisions, but the distinguishing features of both categories are fairly well marked. —
当然有无数的细分,但两个类别的鉴别特征是相当明显的。 —

The first category, generally speaking, are men conservative in temperament and law-abiding; —
第一类,总的来说,是性情保守、守法的人; —

they live under control and love to be controlled. —
他们生活在控制下,喜欢受到控制。 —

To my thinking it is their duty to be controlled, because that’s their vocation, and there is nothing humiliating in it for them. —
在我看来,他们受到控制是他们的职责,因为这是他们的职业,对他们而言这并不令人屈辱。 —

The second category all transgress the law; —
第二类都违反法律; —

they are destroyers or disposed to destruction according to their capacities. —
他们是毁灭者,或者说是根据自身能力倾向于毁灭。 —

The crimes of these men are of course relative and varied; —
这些人的罪行当然是相对的,也是各种各样的; —

for the most part they seek in very varied ways the destruction of the present for the sake of the better. —
大多数情况下,他们以非常多样的方式寻求摧毁现在,为了更好的未来。 —

But if such a one is forced for the sake of his idea to step over a corpse or wade through blood, he can, I maintain, find within himself, in his conscience, a sanction for wading through blood–that depends on the idea and its dimensions, note that. —
但如果有人为了他的理念而不得不跨越尸体或涉足血泊,我坚信,他能够在自己的良心中找到涉足血泊的理由–这取决于理念及其范围,注意这一点。 —

It’s only in that sense I speak of their right to crime in my article (you remember it began with the legal question). —
我文章中提到的他们犯罪的权利,只是在这个意义上。 —

There’s no need for such anxiety, however; —
然而,毫无必要对此感到焦虑; —

the masses will scarcely ever admit this right, they punish them or hang them (more or less), and in doing so fulfil quite justly their conservative vocation. —
广大群众几乎永远不会承认这种权利,他们会惩罚他们或绞死他们(或轻或重地),这么做完全正当地贯彻了他们保守的使命。 —

But the same masses set these criminals on a pedestal in the next generation and worship them (more or less). —
但是,同样的群众在下一代会把这些罪犯树立为楷模,并且崇拜他们(或轻或重地)。 —

The first category is always the man of the present, the second the man of the future. —
第一类永远是现在的人,第二类是未来的人。 —

The first preserve the world and people it, the second move the world and lead it to its goal. —
第一类保护这个世界并使之人满,第二类推动这个世界并引领它达到目标。 —

Each class has an equal right to exist. In fact, all have equal rights with me–and /vive la guerre eternelle/–till the New Jerusalem, of course!”
每个阶层都有同等存在的权利。实际上,所有人与我平等–/长生不老的战争/–直到新耶路撒冷,当然啦!”

“Then you believe in the New Jerusalem, do you?”
“那么你相信新耶路撒冷吗?”

“I do,” Raskolnikov answered firmly; as he said these words and during the whole preceding tirade he kept his eyes on one spot on the carpet.
“我相信,”拉斯科尔尼科夫坚定地回答;在说这些话的时候,以及整个前面的慷慨激昂的发言中,他的眼睛一直盯着地毯的一个地方。

“And … and do you believe in God? Excuse my curiosity.”
“那么…你相信上帝吗?请原谅我的好奇心。”

“I do,” repeated Raskolnikov, raising his eyes to Porfiry.
“我相信,”拉斯科尔尼科夫重复,抬起眼睛看着波尔菲里。

“And … do you believe in Lazarus’ rising from the dead?”
“你相信拉撒路从死里复活吗?”

“I … I do. Why do you ask all this?”
“我……我相信。你为什么问这个?”

“You believe it literally?”
“你是字面理解的?”

“Literally.”
“字面理解。”

“You don’t say so… . I asked from curiosity. Excuse me. —
“你不说。我只是好奇而已。请原谅。” —

But let us go back to the question; they are not always executed. —
“但让我们回到问题上;它们并不总是被执行。” —

Some, on the contrary …”
“有些,相反地……”

“Triumph in their lifetime? Oh, yes, some attain their ends in this life, and then …”
“在他们有生之年取得了成功吗?哦,是的,有些人在这个世界实现了他们的目标,然后……”

“They begin executing other people?”
“他们就开始执行其他人了吗?”

“If it’s necessary; indeed, for the most part they do. Your remark is very witty.”
“如果必要的话;实际上,大多数人都会。你的话很风趣。”

“Thank you. But tell me this: how do you distinguish those extraordinary people from the ordinary ones? —
“谢谢。但告诉我:你是如何区分那些特殊的人和普通人的呢? —

Are there signs at their birth? I feel there ought to be more exactitude, more external definition. —
他们出生时有迹象吗?我觉得应该更准确,更具外部定义。 —

Excuse the natural anxiety of a practical law-abiding citizen, but couldn’t they adopt a special uniform, for instance, couldn’t they wear something, be branded in some way? —
请原谅我作为一个务实守法的公民的自然焦虑,但他们不能采取特殊的装束吗,比如穿点什么,被某种方式标记吗? —

For you know if confusion arises and a member of one category imagines that he belongs to the other, begins to ‘eliminate obstacles’ as you so happily expressed it, then …”
因为你知道,如果混淆发生了,某一类别的成员认为他属于另一类别,开始 ‘消除障碍’,就像你如此幸福地表达的那样,那么……”

“Oh, that very often happens! That remark is wittier than the other.”
“哦,那经常发生!那个评论比另一个更幽默。”

“Thank you.”
“谢谢你。”

“No reason to; but take note that the mistake can only arise in the first category, that is among the ordinary people (as I perhaps unfortunately called them). —
“没有理由;但要注意这种错误只会出现在第一类人中,也就是普通人(我或许不幸地这样称呼他们)。 —

In spite of their predisposition to obedience very many of them, through a playfulness of nature, sometimes vouchsafed even to the cow, like to imagine themselves advanced people, ‘destroyers,’ and to push themselves into the ‘new movement,’ and this quite sincerely. —
尽管他们有服从的倾向,但很多人,透过一种与牛都可能有的天性的调皮,有时会想象自己是高级人士,是‚毁灭者‘,并加入‚新运动‘,这是很真诚的。 —

Meanwhile the really /new/ people are very often unobserved by them, or even despised as reactionaries of grovelling tendencies. —
然而真正的新人经常被他们忽视,甚至被鄙视为俯首帖耳的反动者。 —

But I don’t think there is any considerable danger here, and you really need not be uneasy for they never go very far. —
但我认为这里并没有什么重大危险,你真的不必担心,因为他们永远不会走得很远。 —

Of course, they might have a thrashing sometimes for letting their fancy run away with them and to teach them their place, but no more; —
当然,有时也许需要给他们一个教训,限制他们的想象,教他们各自的位置,但仅此而已; —

in fact, even this isn’t necessary as they castigate themselves, for they are very conscientious: —
实际上,这并非必要,因为他们会自我惩罚,因为他们非常有责任心: —

some perform this service for one another and others chastise themselves with their own hands… —
有人会互相为对方做这种服务,有些人则会用自己的手来惩罚自己… —

. They will impose various public acts of penitence upon themselves with a beautiful and edifying effect; —
他们会对自己强加各种公开的忏悔行为,产生美好而启迪的效果; —

in fact you’ve nothing to be uneasy about… —
事实上,你无需担心… —

. It’s a law of nature.”
这是自然法则。”

“Well, you have certainly set my mind more at rest on that score; —
“嗯,你确实让我在这方面更加安心了; —

but there’s another thing worries me. Tell me, please, are there many people who have the right to kill others, these extraordinary people? —
但还有一件事让我担心。告诉我,有多少人有权力杀死他人,这些非凡的人? —

I am ready to bow down to them, of course, but you must admit it’s alarming if there are a great many of them, eh?”
我当然愿意向他们俯首,但你必须承认,如果有很多这样的人,是令人担忧的,是吧?”

“Oh, you needn’t worry about that either,” Raskolnikov went on in the same tone. —
“哦,你也不用担心那个,” 拉斯科尔尼科夫以同样的语气继续说道。 —

“People with new ideas, people with the faintest capacity for saying something /new/, are extremely few in number, extraordinarily so in fact. —
“有新思想的人,有最微弱的能力说些什么新的人,数量极少,实际上非常少。” —

One thing only is clear, that the appearance of all these grades and sub-divisions of men must follow with unfailing regularity some law of nature. —
“唯一清楚的一件事是,所有这些层次和分级的人群的出现必须遵循自然法则的无误规律。” —

That law, of course, is unknown at present, but I am convinced that it exists, and one day may become known. —
“当然,这个法则目前是未知的,但我相信它存在,而且总有一天可能会被揭示出来。” —

The vast mass of mankind is mere material, and only exists in order by some great effort, by some mysterious process, by means of some crossing of races and stocks, to bring into the world at last perhaps one man out of a thousand with a spark of independence. —
“绝大多数人只是简单的材料,仅存在的目的是通过某种伟大的努力、神秘的过程,通过某种族群交叉来最终在世界上诞生或许每一千人中有一个具有独立精神的人。” —

One in ten thousand perhaps–I speak roughly, approximately–is born with some independence, and with still greater independence one in a hundred thousand. —
“或许十万人中有一个–我说的是粗略估计–出生时就带有一定的独立性,更独立的人可能是十万人中的一个。” —

The man of genius is one of millions, and the great geniuses, the crown of humanity, appear on earth perhaps one in many thousand millions. —
“天才之人千千万,伟大的天才是人类之冠,或许亿万人中才会出现一个。” —

In fact I have not peeped into the retort in which all this takes place. —
“事实上,我并没有窥视这一切发生的瓶里。” —

But there certainly is and must be a definite law, it cannot be a matter of chance.”
“但肯定有一个明确的法则,不能是凭运气的事。”

“Why, are you both joking?” Razumihin cried at last. —
“你们两个是在开玩笑吗?”拉兹穆欣最终喊道。 —

“There you sit, making fun of one another. —
“你们坐在那里,互相取笑。” —

Are you serious, Rodya?”
“罗狄雅,你是认真的吗?”

Raskolnikov raised his pale and almost mournful face and made no reply. —
罗季昂科夫抬起苍白几乎哀伤的脸,没有回答。 —

And the unconcealed, persistent, nervous, and /discourteous/ sarcasm of Porfiry seemed strange to Razumihin beside that quiet and mournful face.
罗季昂科夫那安静悲伤的脸孔旁边,波罗菲那种不加掩饰、持续的、紧张的、无礼的讽刺显得奇怪,对拉兹穆欣来说。

“Well, brother, if you are really serious … —
“好吧,兄弟,如果你是认真的… —

You are right, of course, in saying that it’s not new, that it’s like what we’ve read and heard a thousand times already; —
“你说得对,当然,这不是新鲜事,这是我们已经读过和听过成千上万遍的东西;” —

but what is really original in all this, and is exclusively your own, to my horror, is that you sanction bloodshed /in the name of conscience/, and, excuse my saying so, with such fanaticism. —
但在所有这一切中,真正原创的,也是您独有的,让我感到恐惧的是,您以如此狂热的态度批准了以良心为名的流血事件。 —

… That, I take it, is the point of your article. —
… 我想,这就是你文章的要点。 —

But that sanction of bloodshed /by conscience/ is to my mind … —
但对我来说,以良心的名义批准流血事件… —

more terrible than the official, legal sanction of bloodshed… .”
比官方、法律上的批准更可怕…”

“You are quite right, it is more terrible,” Porfiry agreed.
“您说得对,这更可怕,” 普罗菲里承认。

“Yes, you must have exaggerated! There is some mistake, I shall read it. —
“是的,您肯定夸大了!一定有误会,我要看看。 —

You can’t think that! I shall read it.”
您不能这样想!我要看看。”

“All that is not in the article, there’s only a hint of it,” said Raskolnikov.
“这一切都不在文章中,只是提到了一点点,” 拉斯科尔尼科夫说。

“Yes, yes.” Porfiry couldn’t sit still. “Your attitude to crime is pretty clear to me now, but . . —
“是的,是的。” 普罗菲里坐不住了。”关于您对罪行的态度,我现在很清楚了,但… —

. excuse me for my impertinence (I am really ashamed to be worrying you like this), you see, you’ve removed my anxiety as to the two grades getting mixed, but . —
抱歉我的无礼(实在不好意思打扰您),您看,您解除了我对两个级别混合的担忧,但… —

. . there are various practical possibilities that make me uneasy! —
. . 还有各种让我感到不安的实际可能性! —

What if some man or youth imagines that he is a Lycurgus or Mahomet–a future one of course–and suppose he begins to remove all obstacles. —
如果有人或青年认为自己是一个吕庇古或者穆罕默德–未来的一个,假设他开始消除所有障碍… —

… He has some great enterprise before him and needs money for it . —
… 他有一项伟大的事业要完成,并需要资金… —

. . and tries to get it … do you see?”
. . 并试图获得… 您懂吗?”

Zametov gave a sudden guffaw in his corner. Raskolnikov did not even raise his eyes to him.
扎默托突然在角落里哈哈大笑。拉斯科尔尼科夫甚至没有抬起眼睛看他。

“I must admit,” he went on calmly, “that such cases certainly must arise. —
“我必须承认,”他平静地继续说道,“这样的案例确实一定会出现。 —

The vain and foolish are particularly apt to fall into that snare; —
虚荣和愚蠢的人特别容易落入陷阱; —

young people especially.”
年轻人尤其如此。”

“Yes, you see. Well then?”
“是的,你看。那么呢?”

“What then?” Raskolnikov smiled in reply; “that’s not my fault. So it is and so it always will be. —
“那又怎样?” 拉斯科尔尼科夫微笑着回答; “那不是我的错。事实就是这样,而且将永远如此。 —

He said just now (he nodded at Razumihin) that I sanction bloodshed. —
刚才他说(他朝瑞兹米洪点点头)我赞同流血。 —

Society is too well protected by prisons, banishment, criminal investigators, penal servitude. —
社会有监狱、放逐、刑侦、劳役处等手段保护得很好。 —

There’s no need to be uneasy. You have but to catch the thief.”
没有必要担心。你们只需抓住小偷。”

“And what if we do catch him?”
“如果我们抓到他呢?”

“Then he gets what he deserves.”
“那他得到应有的惩罚。”

“You are certainly logical. But what of his conscience?”
“你确实很逻辑。那他的良心呢?”

“Why do you care about that?”
“你为什么在意?”

“Simply from humanity.”
“仅仅出于人道。”

“If he has a conscience he will suffer for his mistake. —
“如果他有良心,他会为自己的错误而受苦。 —

That will be his punishment–as well as the prison.”
那将是他的惩罚–除了监狱外。”

“But the real geniuses,” asked Razumihin frowning, “those who have the right to murder? —
“但真正的天才,” 拉祖米欣皱着眉头问道, “那些有权谋杀的人呢?” —

Oughtn’t they to suffer at all even for the blood they’ve shed?”
“他们难道不应该为他们流过的血而受苦吗?”

“Why the word /ought/? It’s not a matter of permission or prohibition. —
“为什么用 ‘应该’ 这个词呢? 这不是许可或禁令的问题。 —

He will suffer if he is sorry for his victim. —
“如果他为自己的受害者感到难过,他会受到痛苦的。 —

Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart. —
痛苦和苦难对于一个敏锐的头脑和一颗深切的心总是不可避免的。 —

The really great men must, I think, have great sadness on earth,” he added dreamily, not in the tone of the conversation.
他梦呓般地补充说:“我认为真正伟大的人在世上必须有巨大的悲伤。”

He raised his eyes, looked earnestly at them all, smiled, and took his cap. —
他抬起眼睛,认真地看着他们所有人,微笑着,戴上了帽子。 —

He was too quiet by comparison with his manner at his entrance, and he felt this. Everyone got up.
与他进入时的态度相比,他太安静了,他感觉到了这一点。每个人都站了起来。

“Well, you may abuse me, be angry with me if you like,” Porfiry Petrovitch began again, “but I can’t resist. —
“好吧,你可以谴责我,生我的气,如果你愿意的话,”波尔菲里·彼得罗维奇再次开始说:”但我忍不住。 —

Allow me one little question (I know I am troubling you). —
请容许我提一个小问题(我知道我在打扰你)。 —

There is just one little notion I want to express, simply that I may not forget it.”
我只是想表达一个小想法,仅仅是为了不让我忘记它。

“Very good, tell me your little notion,” Raskolnikov stood waiting, pale and grave before him.
“很好,告诉我你的小想法,” 拉斯科尔尼科夫站在他面前,苍白而庄重。

“Well, you see … I really don’t know how to express it properly… . —
“嗯,你看,我真的不知道怎样恰当地表达它。 —

It’s a playful, psychological idea… . —
这是一个俏皮的心理想法。 —

When you were writing your article, surely you couldn’t have helped, he-he! fancying yourself … —
当你写文章时,你肯定忍不住,嘿嘿!想象自己…… —

just a little, an ‘extraordinary’ man, uttering a /new word/ in your sense. —
只是稍微,一个’非凡’的人,在你的意义上说出一个 /新词语/。 —

… That’s so, isn’t it?”
“… 是这样吧?”

“Quite possibly,” Raskolnikov answered contemptuously.
“很可能,” 拉斯科尔尼科夫轻蔑地回答道。

Razumihin made a movement.
拉祖米欣动了一下。

“And, if so, could you bring yourself in case of worldly difficulties and hardship or for some service to humanity–to overstep obstacles? —
“那么,如果真是这样,你能否在世俗困难和艰辛之中或者为了某种人道主义的奉献–跨越障碍呢? —

… For instance, to rob and murder?”
… 例如,去抢劫和谋杀?”

And again he winked with his left eye, and laughed noiselessly just as before.
他又用左眼眨了眨,像之前一样无声地笑了笑。

“If I did I certainly should not tell you,” Raskolnikov answered with defiant and haughty contempt.
“如果我这样做了,我当然不会告诉你,” 拉斯科尔尼科夫以挑衅和傲慢的轻蔑回答道。

“No, I was only interested on account of your article, from a literary point of view …”
“不,我只是出于对你文章的兴趣,从文学角度来看…”

“Foo! how obvious and insolent that is!” Raskolnikov thought with repulsion.
“太显而易见和傲慢了!” 拉斯科尔尼科夫带着厌恶地想到。

“Allow me to observe,” he answered dryly, “that I don’t consider myself a Mahomet or a Napoleon, nor any personage of that kind, and not being one of them I cannot tell you how I should act.”
“请允许我观察一下,” 他干巴巴地回答道,”我不认为自己是一个穆罕默德或拿破仑,也不是那种人物,既然不是他们之一,我就不能告诉你我会怎么做。”

“Oh, come, don’t we all think ourselves Napoleons now in Russia?” —
“哦,来吧,我们现在在俄罗斯都认为自己是拿破仑了吧?” 波尔菲里·彼得罗维奇带着令人担忧的熟稔口气说道。 —

Porfiry Petrovitch said with alarming familiarity.
他的声音语调中透露出一些特殊的东西。

Something peculiar betrayed itself in the very intonation of his voice.
“也许是其中一个未来的拿破仑上周干掉了阿琳娜·伊凡诺夫娜?”

“Perhaps it was one of these future Napoleons who did for Alyona Ivanovna last week?” —

Zametov blurted out from the corner.
扎默托夫突然从角落里蹦了出来。

Raskolnikov did not speak, but looked firmly and intently at Porfiry. —
拉斯科尔尼科夫没有说话,但坚定地凝视着波尔菲里。 —

Razumihin was scowling gloomily. He seemed before this to be noticing something. —
拉祖米欣闷闷不乐地皱着眉头。在此之前,他似乎注意到了什么。 —

He looked angrily around. There was a minute of gloomy silence. —
他生气地看了一圈,沉默了片刻。 —

Raskolnikov turned to go.
拉斯科尔尼科夫转身要走。

“Are you going already?” Porfiry said amiably, holding out his hand with excessive politeness. —
“你已经要走了吗?”波尔菲里友好地说着,过于客气地伸出手来。 —

“Very, very glad of your acquaintance. As for your request, have no uneasiness, write just as I told you, or, better still, come to me there yourself in a day or two . —
“非常、非常高兴认识你。至于你的请求,毫无不安,就像我告诉你的那样写,或者更好的是,两天后亲自到那里来找我。 —

. . to-morrow, indeed. I shall be there at eleven o’clock for certain. We’ll arrange it all; —
明天,确切地说。我们会安排一切; —

we’ll have a talk. As one of the last to be /there/, you might perhaps be able to tell us something,” he added with a most good-natured expression.
我们来谈谈。能告诉我们一些事情,作为最后一个到达那里的人,也许你能说些什么,”他带着极其和善的表情补充道。

“You want to cross-examine me officially in due form?” Raskolnikov asked sharply.
“你想要正式审讯我吗?”拉斯科尔尼科夫尖刻地问道。

“Oh, why? That’s not necessary for the present. You misunderstand me. —
“哦,为什么呢?现在没必要。你误会了我。 —

I lose no opportunity, you see, and … I’ve talked with all who had pledges… . —
你看,我不放过任何机会,并且…我已与所有提供担保的人交谈… —

I obtained evidence from some of them, and you are the last… . —
我向其中一些人获取了证据,而你是最后一个… —

Yes, by the way,” he cried, seemingly suddenly delighted, “I just remember, what was I thinking of?” —
是的,对了,”他看起来突然高兴起来,”我刚记起了,我在想什么来着?” —

he turned to Razumihin, “you were talking my ears off about that Nikolay … —
他转向拉祖米欣,”你之前一直跟我说那个尼古拉… —

of course, I know, I know very well,” he turned to Raskolnikov, “that the fellow is innocent, but what is one to do? —
当然,我知道,我非常清楚,”他转向罗季科夫说:”那家伙是无辜的,但我们该怎么办呢? —

We had to trouble Dmitri too… . This is the point, this is all: —
我们也不得不麻烦迪米特里… 这是关键,这就是全部: —

when you went up the stairs it was past seven, wasn’t it?”
当你上楼的时候已经过了七点了,对吧?

“Yes,” answered Raskolnikov, with an unpleasant sensation at the very moment he spoke that he need not have said it.
“是的,”罗季科夫回答道,说出这句话的同时,他感到一种不愉快的感觉,觉得自己没有必要说出这个。

“Then when you went upstairs between seven and eight, didn’t you see in a flat that stood open on a second storey, do you remember? —
“那么,当你在七点到八点之间上楼时,你有没有看到一个开着的二楼公寓里,记得吗? —

two workmen or at least one of them? They were painting there, didn’t you notice them? —
两个工人或者至少其中一个?他们正在那里涂油漆,你有没有注意到? —

It’s very, very important for them.”
对他们来说,这非常非常重要。

“Painters? No, I didn’t see them,” Raskolnikov answered slowly, as though ransacking his memory, while at the same instant he was racking every nerve, almost swooning with anxiety to conjecture as quickly as possible where the trap lay and not to overlook anything. —
“涂油漆的人?不,我没看到他们,”罗季科夫缓慢地回答道,就好像在搜索他的记忆,同时几乎要因为焦急而晕倒,迅速地猜测陷阱在哪里,不要漏掉任何东西。 —

“No, I didn’t see them, and I don’t think I noticed a flat like that open… . —
“不,我没有看到他们,而且我不认为我注意到有一个这样的开放的公寓… —

But on the fourth storey” (he had mastered the trap now and was triumphant) “I remember now that someone was moving out of the flat opposite Alyona Ivanovna’s. —
但在第四层”(他现在已经搞清楚陷阱所在,并且非常成功) “我现在记得有人正在搬出阿廖娜·伊万诺夫娜对面的公寓。 —

… I remember … I remember it clearly. —
我记得… 我记得很清楚。 —

Some porters were carrying out a sofa and they squeezed me against the wall. But painters … —
一些搬运工在搬出一个沙发,他们把我挤到了墙上。但是涂油漆的人… —

no, I don’t remember that there were any painters, and I don’t think that there was a flat open anywhere, no, there wasn’t.”
不,我不记得有任何涂油漆的人,我也不认为有任何地方开着公寓,不,没有。

“What do you mean?” Razumihin shouted suddenly, as though he had reflected and realised. —
“你什么意思?拉兹米欣突然大喊着,好像他已经反思和意识到。 —

“Why, it was on the day of the murder the painters were at work, and he was there three days before? —
“为什么,在谋杀当天涂油漆的人正在工作,而他三天前就在那里?” —

What are you asking?”
你在问什么?

“Foo! I have muddled it!” Porfiry slapped himself on the forehead. “Deuce take it! —
“呸!我把它搞糟了!”波尔菲里拍了拍额头。“该死! —

This business is turning my brain!” he addressed Raskolnikov somewhat apologetically. —
这件事把我的脑子弄乱了!”他略带歉意地对拉斯科尔尼科夫说。 —

“It would be such a great thing for us to find out whether anyone had seen them between seven and eight at the flat, so I fancied you could perhaps have told us something. —
“要是有人在七点到八点之间看到他们在那套公寓里,那对我们来说是件好事,所以我想也许你能告诉我们一些情况。 —

… I quite muddled it.”
我搞得一团糟。”

“Then you should be more careful,” Razumihin observed grimly.
“那你应该更小心”,拉祖米欣冷冷地观察着。

The last words were uttered in the passage. —
最后这几句是在走廊里说的。 —

Porfiry Petrovitch saw them to the door with excessive politeness.
波尔菲里·彼得洛维奇用极度礼貌地将他们送到门口。

They went out into the street gloomy and sullen, and for some steps they did not say a word. —
他们走出街道时愁眉苦脸,几步路没说一句话。 —

Raskolnikov drew a deep breath.
拉斯科尔尼科夫深吸了口气。

……”
……”