He was not completely unconscious, however, all the time he was ill; —
他并不完全失去意识,然而在病中的大部分时间; —

he was in a feverish state, sometimes delirious, sometimes half conscious. —
他处于发热状态,有时神志不清,有时半睡半醒。 —

He remembered a great deal afterwards. Sometimes it seemed as though there were a number of people round him; —
他事后回忆起很多事情。有时似乎有一群人在他周围; —

they wanted to take him away somewhere, there was a great deal of squabbling and discussing about him. —
他们想把他带走到某个地方,关于他有很多争吵和讨论。 —

Then he would be alone in the room; they had all gone away afraid of him, and only now and then opened the door a crack to look at him; —
然后他会独自一人在房间里;他们都惊恐地离开了,只偶尔掀开门缝看看他; —

they threatened him, plotted something together, laughed, and mocked at him. —
他们威胁他,密谋着什么,笑着,嘲笑着他。 —

He remembered Nastasya often at his bedside; —
他记得纳斯塔西娅经常在他床边; —

he distinguished another person, too, whom he seemed to know very well, though he could not remember who he was, and this fretted him, even made him cry. —
他还分辨出另一个人,似乎很熟悉,尽管他记不清是谁,这让他苦恼,甚至流泪。 —

Sometimes he fancied he had been lying there a month; —
有时他觉得自己躺在那里已经一个月了; —

at other times it all seemed part of the same day. —
而有时又觉得这一切都是同一天的循环。 —

But of /that/–of /that/ he had no recollection, and yet every minute he felt that he had forgotten something he ought to remember. —
但是什么——什么的他却没有记忆,然而每时每刻他都觉得自己忘记了应该记得的事情。 —

He worried and tormented himself trying to remember, moaned, flew into a rage, or sank into awful, intolerable terror. —
他为了回忆而苦恼自虐,呻吟,暴怒,或者沉入可怕的,无法忍受的恐惧之中。 —

Then he struggled to get up, would have run away, but someone always prevented him by force, and he sank back into impotence and forgetfulness. —
然后他挣扎着想要起来,想要逃跑,但总有人用力阻止他,他只能无力地沉入遗忘。 —

At last he returned to complete consciousness.
最后他完全清醒过来。

It happened at ten o’clock in the morning. —
这发生在上午十点。 —

On fine days the sun shone into the room at that hour, throwing a streak of light on the right wall and the corner near the door. —
在好天气的日子,太阳在那个时候照进房间,把一道光线投在右墙和门附近的角落上。 —

Nastasya was standing beside him with another person, a complete stranger, who was looking at him very inquisitively. —
娜斯塔西娅站在他身边,旁边还站着一个完全陌生的人,正好奇地看着他。 —

He was a young man with a beard, wearing a full, short- waisted coat, and looked like a messenger. The landlady was peeping in at the half-opened door. —
他是一个蓄着胡子的年轻人,穿着一件短腰的满褂,看起来像一个信使。女房东正在半开的门口窥视。 —

Raskolnikov sat up.
罗季昂科夫坐了起来。

“Who is this, Nastasya?” he asked, pointing to the young man.
“娜斯塔西娅,这是谁?”他指着那个年轻人问。

“I say, he’s himself again!” she said.
“我说,他恢复神志了!”她说。

“He is himself,” echoed the man.
“他恢复了,”那男人重复说道。

Concluding that he had returned to his senses, the landlady closed the door and disappeared. —
断定他已恢复神志,女房东合上门,然后消失了。 —

She was always shy and dreaded conversations or discussions. —
她总是害羞,害怕交谈或讨论。 —

She was a woman of forty, not at all bad-looking, fat and buxom, with black eyes and eyebrows, good-natured from fatness and laziness, and absurdly bashful.
她是一个四十岁的女人,长相不错,又胖又丰满,有着黑眼睛和眉毛,由于胖和懒散而亲切,又因胆小而荒谬。

“Who … are you?” he went on, addressing the man. —
“你……是谁?”他继续问那男人。 —

But at that moment the door was flung open, and, stooping a little, as he was so tall, Razumihin came in.
就在那时,门被猛地推开,然后,因为太高大,而略微弯腰的拉祖米欣走了进来。

“What a cabin it is!” he cried. “I am always knocking my head. You call this a lodging! —
“这简直像个小隔间!”他叫道。“我老是碰到头。你们把这叫做住所吗! —

So you are conscious, brother? I’ve just heard the news from Pashenka.”
那么你意识到了,兄弟?我刚从帕辛卡那儿听到消息。”

“He has just come to,” said Nastasya.
“他刚刚醒过来,”娜斯塔西娅说。

“Just come to,” echoed the man again, with a smile.
“只是慢慢清醒过来,”那个人又笑着说。

“And who are you?” Razumihin asked, suddenly addressing him. —
“你是谁?”拉祖米欣突然问道。 —

“My name is Vrazumihin, at your service; —
“我叫弗拉祖米欣,您有何吩咐; —

not Razumihin, as I am always called, but Vrazumihin, a student and gentleman; —
不是被人们常称呼的拉祖米欣,而是弗拉祖米欣,一个学生和绅士; —

and he is my friend. And who are you?”
他是我的朋友。那么您是谁?”

“I am the messenger from our office, from the merchant Shelopaev, and I’ve come on business.”
“我是我们办公室的使者,来自商人谢洛帕耶夫,我是来办事的。”

“Please sit down.” Razumihin seated himself on the other side of the table. —
“请坐下。”拉祖米欣坐在桌子的另一侧。 —

“It’s a good thing you’ve come to, brother,” he went on to Raskolnikov. —
“你清醒过来真是太好了,兄弟”,他对罗季昂诺夫说。 —

“For the last four days you have scarcely eaten or drunk anything. —
“过去四天你几乎没吃没喝。 —

We had to give you tea in spoonfuls. I brought Zossimov to see you twice. You remember Zossimov? —
我们只能小心地喂你茶。我找了佐西莫夫来看你两次。你还记得佐西莫夫吗? —

He examined you carefully and said at once it was nothing serious–something seemed to have gone to your head. —
他仔细检查了你,立刻说没什么大事–似乎是头脑有些问题。 —

Some nervous nonsense, the result of bad feeding, he says you have not had enough beer and radish, but it’s nothing much, it will pass and you will be all right. —
一些神经问题,可能是喂养不良的后果,他说你没喝足够的啤酒和萝卜,但没太大事,会好的。 —

Zossimov is a first-rate fellow! He is making quite a name. —
佐西莫夫是个一流的家伙!他现在名声渐起。 —

Come, I won’t keep you,” he said, addressing the man again. “Will you explain what you want? —
来吧,我不耽搁你了”,他再次对那个人说。“你要解释一下你想干嘛? —

You must know, Rodya, this is the second time they have sent from the office; —
你得知道,罗德亚,这是他们从办公室派人来的第二次; —

but it was another man last time, and I talked to him. —
但上次派来的是另一个人,我和他谈过。 —

Who was it came before?”
上次来的是谁?”

“That was the day before yesterday, I venture to say, if you please, sir. —
“那是前天,如果您愿意的话,我敢说,先生。 —

That was Alexey Semyonovitch; he is in our office, too.”
那是阿列克谢•谢米诺维奇;他也在我们办公室。”

“He was more intelligent than you, don’t you think so?”
“他比你更聪明,你认为呢?”

“Yes, indeed, sir, he is of more weight than I am.”
“是的,先生,他比我有分量。”

“Quite so; go on.”
“确实如此;继续说吧。”

“At your mamma’s request, through Afanasy Ivanovitch Vahrushin, of whom I presume you have heard more than once, a remittance is sent to you from our office,” the man began, addressing Raskolnikov. —
“有你妈妈通过阿方西·伊凡诺维奇·瓦鲁申的要求,从我们办公室给你寄来的汇款,”这个人开始对着拉斯科尔尼科夫说。 —

“If you are in an intelligible condition, I’ve thirty-five roubles to remit to you, as Semyon Semyonovitch has received from Afanasy Ivanovitch at your mamma’s request instructions to that effect, as on previous occasions. —
“如果你状态清醒,我有35卢布要给你汇款,因为谢缅·谢缅诺维奇已经根据阿方西·伊凡诺维奇的要求,像前几次一样,收到你妈妈的指示。” —

Do you know him, sir?”
“你认识他吗,先生?”

“Yes, I remember … Vahrushin,” Raskolnikov said dreamily.
“是的,我记得…瓦鲁申,” 拉斯科尔尼科夫恍惚地说。

“You hear, he knows Vahrushin,” cried Razumihin. “He is in ‘an intelligible condition’! —
“你听到了,他认识瓦鲁申,”拉祖米欣喊道。“他处于‘一个明晰的状态’! —

And I see you are an intelligent man too. —
而且我看你也是个聪明人。 —

Well, it’s always pleasant to hear words of wisdom.”
好吧,听到智慧的话总是让人愉悦。”

“That’s the gentleman, Vahrushin, Afanasy Ivanovitch. —
“那就是先生,瓦鲁申,阿方西·伊凡诺维奇。 —

And at the request of your mamma, who has sent you a remittance once before in the same manner through him, he did not refuse this time also, and sent instructions to Semyon Semyonovitch some days since to hand you thirty-five roubles in the hope of better to come.”
而且根据你妈妈的要求,他上次也是通过他以同样的方式给你寄来了一笔汇款,这次也没有拒绝,并且有几天前向谢缅·谢缅诺维奇发出指示,希望能有更多好的未来。”

“That ‘hoping for better to come’ is the best thing you’ve said, though ‘your mamma’ is not bad either. —
“‘盼望着未来变得更好’ 是你说的最好的话了,虽然‘你妈妈’ 也不错。 —

Come then, what do you say? Is he fully conscious, eh?”
来吧,你怎么说?他意识完全清醒了吗,嗯?”

“That’s all right. If only he can sign this little paper.”
“那没问题。只要他能在这张小纸上签字。”

“He can scrawl his name. Have you got the book?”
“他能乱涂一下名字。书有吗?”

“Yes, here’s the book.”
“这本在这。”

“Give it to me. Here, Rodya, sit up. I’ll hold you. —
“给我。来,罗底亚,坐起来。我来扶着你。” —

Take the pen and scribble ‘Raskolnikov’ for him. —
拿笔,为他写下“拉斯科尔尼科夫”。 —

For just now, brother, money is sweeter to us than treacle.”
“兄弟,现在对我们来说,钱比糖浆更甜。”

“I don’t want it,” said Raskolnikov, pushing away the pen.
“我不要,” 拉斯科尔尼科夫推开笔。

“Not want it?”
“不要吗?”

“I won’t sign it.”
“我不会签字。”

“How the devil can you do without signing it?”
“你到底怎么舍得不签字呢?”

“I don’t want … the money.”
“我不要……那笔钱。”

“Don’t want the money! Come, brother, that’s nonsense, I bear witness. —
“不要钱!兄弟,别开玩笑,我可是亲眼见证过。” —

Don’t trouble, please, it’s only that he is on his travels again. —
不用打扰,请,他只是又开始旅行了。 —

But that’s pretty common with him at all times though… . —
但这种情况在他身上一直很常见。… —

You are a man of judgment and we will take him in hand, that is, more simply, take his hand and he will sign it. Here.”
你是个明智的人,我们会对他负责,换句话说,只需要握住他的手,他会签字的。拿着。

“But I can come another time.”
“但我可以另一个时间过来。”

“No, no. Why should we trouble you? You are a man of judgment… . —
“不,不。我们何必麻烦你?你是个明智的人。… —

Now, Rodya, don’t keep your visitor, you see he is waiting,” and he made ready to hold Raskolnikov’s hand in earnest.
罗温,别留客人等着,你看他正在等。” 他准备认真地握住拉斯科尔尼科夫的手。

“Stop, I’ll do it alone,” said the latter, taking the pen and signing his name.
“等等,我自己弄,” 后者拿起笔,签下自己的名字。

The messenger took out the money and went away.
信差拿出钱走了。

“Bravo! And now, brother, are you hungry?”
“太好了!兄弟,你饿了吗?”

“Yes,” answered Raskolnikov.
“是的”,罗季昂科夫回答道。

“Is there any soup?”
“有汤吗?”

“Some of yesterday’s,” answered Nastasya, who was still standing there.
“昨天剩下的一些”,仍站在那里的娜斯塔西娅回答道。

“With potatoes and rice in it?”
“里面放了土豆和米饭吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的”。

“I know it by heart. Bring soup and give us some tea.”
“我熟记在心。拿汤来,给我们倒点茶。”

“Very well.”
“好的”。

Raskolnikov looked at all this with profound astonishment and a dull, unreasoning terror. —
罗季昂科夫以深深的惊讶和迟钝、无理的恐惧看着这一切。 —

He made up his mind to keep quiet and see what would happen. —
他决定保持沉默,看看会发生什么。 —

“I believe I am not wandering. I believe it’s reality,” he thought.
“我相信我没有在神游。我相信这是现实”,他想。

In a couple of minutes Nastasya returned with the soup, and announced that the tea would be ready directly. —
几分钟后,娜斯塔西娅端着汤回来,并宣布茶马上就好。 —

With the soup she brought two spoons, two plates, salt, pepper, mustard for the beef, and so on. —
她拿来了两把汤匙、两个碟子、盐、胡椒、牛肉用的芥末等。 —

The table was set as it had not been for a long time. —
桌子被整理得好久没有整理过了。 —

The cloth was clean.
这块布是干净的。

“It would not be amiss, Nastasya, if Praskovya Pavlovna were to send us up a couple of bottles of beer. —
“娜斯塔西娅,如果普拉斯科夫娅·帕夫洛芙娜能给我们送上两瓶啤酒倒也不错。 —

We could empty them.”
我们可以把它们喝掉。”

“Well, you are a cool hand,” muttered Nastasya, and she departed to carry out his orders.
“你还真是一个酷毙了的家伙,” 娜斯塔西娅低声咕哝着,然后离开去执行他的命令。

Raskolnikov still gazed wildly with strained attention. —
拉斯科尔尼科夫仍然紧张地狂野地凝视着。 —

Meanwhile Razumihin sat down on the sofa beside him, as clumsily as a bear put his left arm round Raskolnikov’s head, although he was able to sit up, and with his right hand gave him a spoonful of soup, blowing on it that it might not burn him. —
与此同时,拉祖米欣笨拙地坐到他旁边的沙发上,像一只熊一样用左手搂住拉斯科尔尼科夫的头,尽管他能坐直,右手递给他一勺汤,还吹了一下,以免烫到他。 —

But the soup was only just warm. Raskolnikov swallowed one spoonful greedily, then a second, then a third. —
但是汤只是温的。 拉斯科尔尼科夫贪婪地吃了一勺,然后第二勺,接着第三勺。 —

But after giving him a few more spoonfuls of soup, Razumihin suddenly stopped, and said that he must ask Zossimov whether he ought to have more.
但在喂了他几勺汤之后,拉祖米欣突然停下来,说他必须问佐西莫夫是否应该再喝一些。

Nastasya came in with two bottles of beer.
娜斯塔西娅拿着两瓶啤酒进来了。

“And will you have tea?”
“你要来点茶吗?”

“Yes.”
“要的。”

“Cut along, Nastasya, and bring some tea, for tea we may venture on without the faculty. —
“去吧,娜斯塔西娅,给我们拿点茶,茶我们没问题的。” —

But here is the beer!” He moved back to his chair, pulled the soup and meat in front of him, and began eating as though he had not touched food for three days.
但这里有啤酒!”他挪回到椅子上,把汤和肉放在面前,开始吃,好像三天没碰过食物一样。

“I must tell you, Rodya, I dine like this here every day now,” he mumbled with his mouth full of beef, “and it’s all Pashenka, your dear little landlady, who sees to that; —
“我得告诉你,罗迪亚,现在我每天都在这里这么吃晚饭,“他嘴里塞满牛肉,喃喃自语地说,”都是你亲爱的小房东帕申卡,她照顾的; —

she loves to do anything for me. I don’t ask for it, but, of course, I don’t object. —
她喜欢为我做任何事情。我没要求,但当然我也不反对。 —

And here’s Nastasya with the tea. She is a quick girl. —
这里还有娜斯塔西娅给我们倒了茶。她是个机灵的姑娘。 —

Nastasya, my dear, won’t you have some beer?”
娜斯塔西娅,亲爱的,你要喝点啤酒吗?”

“Get along with your nonsense!”
“别瞎扯了!”

“A cup of tea, then?”
“那来一杯茶?”

“A cup of tea, maybe.”
“也许来一杯茶。”

“Pour it out. Stay, I’ll pour it out myself. Sit down.”
“倒出来。等一下,我自己倒。坐下吧。”

He poured out two cups, left his dinner, and sat on the sofa again. —
他倒了两杯茶,放下了自己的晚餐,又坐到沙发上。 —

As before, he put his left arm round the sick man’s head, raised him up and gave him tea in spoonfuls, again blowing each spoonful steadily and earnestly, as though this process was the principal and most effective means towards his friend’s recovery. —
像以前一样,他用左臂搂住病人的头,扶起他,一勺一勺地给他喝茶,每勺都在认真稳定地吹着,仿佛这个过程是他朋友康复的主要和最有效的手段。 —

Raskolnikov said nothing and made no resistance, though he felt quite strong enough to sit up on the sofa without support and could not merely have held a cup or a spoon, but even perhaps could have walked about. —
拉斯科尔尼科夫什么也没说,也没有反抗,尽管他感觉自己已经足够强壮,能够在沙发上坐起来而不需要支撑,甚至可能拿着杯子或勺子,甚至也许可以走动。 —

But from some queer, almost animal, cunning he conceived the idea of hiding his strength and lying low for a time, pretending if necessary not to be yet in full possession of his faculties, and meanwhile listening to find out what was going on. —
但由于一种奇怪的、几乎动物般的狡黠,他产生了隐藏他的力量和消瘦一段时间的想法,必要时假装还没有完全恢复心智,同时倾听找出正在发生什么事情。 —

Yet he could not overcome his sense of repugnance. —
然而,他无法克服自己的反感之感。 —

After sipping a dozen spoonfuls of tea, he suddenly released his head, pushed the spoon away capriciously, and sank back on the pillow. —
喝了十几勺茶后,他突然放开了他的头,轻蔑地把勺子推开,倒在枕头上。 —

There were actually real pillows under his head now, down pillows in clean cases, he observed that, too, and took note of it.
他现在的头下面实际上有真正的枕头,干净的枕套里装着鹅绒枕,他也注意到了,并且记了下来。

“Pashenka must give us some raspberry jam to-day to make him some raspberry tea,” said Razumihin, going back to his chair and attacking his soup and beer again.
“今天帕先卡必须给我们一些覆盆子果酱,让他为我们泡些覆盆子茶,”拉兹姆金说着,回到椅子上又开始吃他的汤和啤酒。

“And where is she to get raspberries for you?” —
“那她去哪里给你弄覆盆子? —

asked Nastasya, balancing a saucer on her five outspread fingers and sipping tea through a lump of sugar.
“娜斯塔西娅问道,用五根伸出的手指平衡着一个茶碟,透过一块糖块喝茶。

“She’ll get it at the shop, my dear. You see, Rodya, all sorts of things have been happening while you have been laid up. —
“亲爱的,她会在商店买的。你看,罗季亚,你住院期间发生了各种事情。 —

When you decamped in that rascally way without leaving your address, I felt so angry that I resolved to find you out and punish you. —
当你那样负隅顽抗地离开而没有留下你的地址时,我感到很生气,决定找到你并惩罚你。 —

I set to work that very day. How I ran about making inquiries for you! —
当天我就开始行动。我奔波着为你打听消息! —

This lodging of yours I had forgotten, though I never remembered it, indeed, because I did not know it; —
我忘记了你的这个住处,事实上,我是因为不知道而从未记住它; —

and as for your old lodgings, I could only remember it was at the Five Corners, Harlamov’s house. —
至于你以前的住处,我只知道是在五角场那里,哈拉莫夫的房子。 —

I kept trying to find that Harlamov’s house, and afterwards it turned out that it was not Harlamov’s, but Buch’s. —
我一直试图找到哈拉莫夫的房子,后来结果证明它并不是哈拉莫夫的,而是布赫的。 —

How one muddles up sound sometimes! So I lost my temper, and I went on the chance to the address bureau next day, and only fancy, in two minutes they looked you up! —
有时候声音会搞混!所以我发脾气了,第二天我抓住机会去了地址局,你猜,在两分钟内他们就查到了你! —

Your name is down there.”
你的名字在那里登记着。”

“My name!”
“我的名字!”

“I should think so; and yet a General Kobelev they could not find while I was there. —
“我想是的;可就在我在那儿的时候他们查不到一个叫科别廖夫的将军。 —

Well, it’s a long story. But as soon as I did land on this place, I soon got to know all your affairs–all, all, brother, I know everything; —
嗯,这是一个长故事。但一旦我来到这个地方,我很快就了解了所有关于你的事情–全部的,全部的,兄弟,我什么都知道; —

Nastasya here will tell you. I made the acquaintance of Nikodim Fomitch and Ilya Petrovitch, and the house- porter and Mr. Zametov, Alexandr Grigorievitch, the head clerk in the police office, and, last, but not least, of Pashenka; —
Nastasya这里会告诉你。我认识了尼古丁·福米奇和伊尔亚·彼得罗维奇,还有那位户外管理员,以及扎梅托夫先生,在警察局里的首席文员,最后但同样重要的是帕申卡; —

Nastasya here knows… .”
Nastasya这里知道……”

“He’s got round her,” Nastasya murmured, smiling slyly.
“他哄过她,” Nastasya窃笑地说。

“Why don’t you put the sugar in your tea, Nastasya Nikiforovna?”
“为什么你不把糖放进茶里,纳斯塔西娅·尼基福罗夫娜?”

“You are a one!” Nastasya cried suddenly, going off into a giggle. —
“你可真有意思!” 纳斯塔西娅突然喊着,笑个不停。 —

“I am not Nikiforovna, but Petrovna,” she added suddenly, recovering from her mirth.
“我不是尼基福罗娜,而是彼得罗夫娜,” 她突然补充道,从笑声中振作起来。

“I’ll make a note of it. Well, brother, to make a long story short, I was going in for a regular explosion here to uproot all malignant influences in the locality, but Pashenka won the day. —
“我会记下的。嗯,兄弟,长话短说,我本来打算在这里爆发,肃清当地的所有恶势力,但帕申卡赢得了胜利。 —

I had not expected, brother, to find her so … —
我没有想到,兄弟,会发现她如此……” —

prepossessing. Eh, what do you think?”
吸毒者没有说话,但依然惊恐地盯着他。

Raskolnikov did not speak, but he still kept his eyes fixed upon him, full of alarm.
“有吸引力。嗯,你怎么看?”

“And all that could be wished, indeed, in every respect,” Razumihin went on, not at all embarrassed by his silence.
“确实,从各个方面来看,一切都可以尽善尽美,” Razumihin继续说道,他对自己的沉默毫不难为情。

“Ah, the sly dog!” Nastasya shrieked again. This conversation afforded her unspeakable delight.
“啊,这个狡猾的家伙!”娜斯塔霞再次尖叫着。这段对话给了她莫大的快乐。

“It’s a pity, brother, that you did not set to work in the right way at first. —
“很遗憾,兄弟,你当初没有以正确的方式着手。 —

You ought to have approached her differently. She is, so to speak, a most unaccountable character. —
你本应该以不同的方式接近她。可以说,她是一个极不可思议的人物。 —

But we will talk about her character later… . —
但我们以后会谈论她的性格…… —

How could you let things come to such a pass that she gave up sending you your dinner? —
你是怎么让事情发展到她不再送你晚饭的地步的? —

And that I O U? You must have been mad to sign an I O U. And that promise of marriage when her daughter, Natalya Yegorovna, was alive? —
还有那张债券?你一定疯了才签下那张债券。那个承诺和她女儿纳塔莉娅·叶戈罗芙娜还活着的时候? —

… I know all about it! But I see that’s a delicate matter and I am an ass; forgive me. —
……我知道这一切!但我明白这是个敏感的问题,我真是傻瓜;请原谅我。 —

But, talking of foolishness, do you know Praskovya Pavlovna is not nearly so foolish as you would think at first sight?”
但说到愚蠢,你知道普拉斯科维娅·帕夫洛芙娜并不像你一开始认为的那么愚蠢吧?

“No,” mumbled Raskolnikov, looking away, but feeling that it was better to keep up the conversation.
“不是吧,” 拉斯科尔尼科夫咕哝道,把目光移开,但感觉最好还是继续谈下去。

“She isn’t, is she?” cried Razumihin, delighted to get an answer out of him. —
“她不是,不是吗?” Razumihin高兴地从他口中得到了一个回答。 —

“But she is not very clever either, eh? She is essentially, essentially an unaccountable character! —
“但她也不是很聪明,对吧?她基本上,从根本上来说,是一位无法捉摸的人物! —

I am sometimes quite at a loss, I assure you… . She must be forty; —
有时我真的很迷茫,我向你保证……她必须四十岁了; —

she says she is thirty- six, and of course she has every right to say so. —
她说她三十六岁,当然她有权这么说。 —

But I swear I judge her intellectually, simply from the metaphysical point of view; —
但我发誓,我是从形而上学的角度来判断她的智力;” —

there is a sort of symbolism sprung up between us, a sort of algebra or what not! —
我们之间出现了一种象征意义,一种代数关系或其他什么! —

I don’t understand it! Well, that’s all nonsense. —
我不明白!好好,这都是胡说八道。 —

Only, seeing that you are not a student now and have lost your lessons and your clothes, and that through the young lady’s death she has no need to treat you as a relation, she suddenly took fright; —
只是,由于你现在不再是学生了,失去了你的课程和衣服,并且通过那位年轻女士的死她也无需把你当作亲戚,她突然感到恐惧; —

and as you hid in your den and dropped all your old relations with her, she planned to get rid of you. —
当你躲在你的窝里,与她断绝了所有旧关系,她便计划摆脱你。 —

And she’s been cherishing that design a long time, but was sorry to lose the I O U, for you assured her yourself that your mother would pay.”
她一直怀着这个计划很久了,但很遗憾失去了欠条,因为你自己向她保证你的母亲会偿还。

“It was base of me to say that… . My mother herself is almost a beggar … —
“我那么说真是卑鄙。… 我母亲几乎就是个乞丐… —

and I told a lie to keep my lodging … —
我撒谎只是为了保住我的住所… —

and be fed,” Raskolnikov said loudly and distinctly.
和得到食物,”拉斯科尔尼科夫大声而清晰地说。

“Yes, you did very sensibly. But the worst of it is that at that point Mr. Tchebarov turns up, a business man. —
“是的,你做得很明智。但最糟糕的是,在这一点上,切巴罗夫先生出现了,一个商人。 —

Pashenka would never have thought of doing anything on her own account, she is too retiring; —
帕什卡从来不会主动做任何事情,她太内向了; —

but the business man is by no means retiring, and first thing he puts the question, ‘Is there any hope of realising the I O U?’ —
但商人可不是退缩的,他第一时间就问起‘能否兑现欠条?’ —

Answer: there is, because he has a mother who would save her Rodya with her hundred and twenty-five roubles pension, if she has to starve herself; —
答案是可以,因为他有一个愿意以她自己的每月一百二十五卢布养老金来救他的母亲,即使她得让自己挨饿; —

and a sister, too, who would go into bondage for his sake. That’s what he was building upon… . —
还有一个为了他而去当奴隶的姐妹。这就是他所依赖的… . —

Why do you start? I know all the ins and outs of your affairs now, my dear boy–it’s not for nothing that you were so open with Pashenka when you were her prospective son-in-law, and I say all this as a friend. —
你为什么这么吃惊?亲爱的孩子,我现在清楚你的一切事务的来龙去脉–你在她看上的女婿时对帕什卡那么坦诚,我说这一切都是以朋友身份。 —

… But I tell you what it is; an honest and sensitive man is open; —
… 但我告诉你,一个诚实而敏感的人是公开的; —

and a business man ‘listens and goes on eating’ you up. —
一个商人’听着继续吃’你。 —

Well, then she gave the I O U by way of payment to this Tchebarov, and without hesitation he made a formal demand for payment. —
嗯,于是她给了这个切巴罗夫一张欠条作为付款,他毫不犹豫地正式要求支付。 —

When I heard of all this I wanted to blow him up, too, to clear my conscience, but by that time harmony reigned between me and Pashenka, and I insisted on stopping the whole affair, engaging that you would pay. —
当我听说这一切时,我也想炸了他,以此来平复我的良心,但那时我和帕申卡之间和睦相处,我坚持停止整件事情,承诺你会支付。 —

I went security for you, brother. Do you understand? —
我替你担保,兄弟。你明白吗? —

We called Tchebarov, flung him ten roubles and got the I O U back from him, and here I have the honour of presenting it to you. —
我们叫来了切巴罗夫,扔给他十卢布,从他那里拿回了欠条,现在我有幸把它递给你。 —

She trusts your word now. Here, take it, you see I have torn it.”
她现在相信你的话了。拿去吧,你看,我撕破了它。

Razumihin put the note on the table. Raskolnikov looked at him and turned to the wall without uttering a word. —
拉兹姆芬把纸条放在桌子上。罗季甫诺夫看了看他,又转向墙壁,没有说一句话。 —

Even Razumihin felt a twinge.
甚至拉兹姆芬也感到一阵心痛。

“I see, brother,” he said a moment later, “that I have been playing the fool again. —
“我明白了,兄弟,”他过了一会说,”我又在胡闹了。 —

I thought I should amuse you with my chatter, and I believe I have only made you cross.”
我以为我能用我的闲谈逗乐你,我相信我只是让你生气了。

“Was it you I did not recognise when I was delirious?” —
“我在精神恍惚时没有认出你吗?” —

Raskolnikov asked, after a moment’s pause without turning his head.
罗季诺夫停顿了一会儿,没有转过头,问道。

“Yes, and you flew into a rage about it, especially when I brought Zametov one day.”
“是的,你因此勃然大怒,尤其是我有一天带来了扎梅托夫。”

“Zametov? The head clerk? What for?” Raskolnikov turned round quickly and fixed his eyes on Razumihin.
“扎梅托夫?总务?为什么?”罗季甫诺夫迅速转过身,盯着拉兹姆芬。

“What’s the matter with you? … What are you upset about? —
“你怎么了?… 你为什么心烦意乱? —

He wanted to make your acquaintance because I talked to him a lot about you… . —
他想结识你,因为我经常和他谈论你… . —

How could I have found out so much except from him? He is a capital fellow, brother, first-rate . . —
我怎么可能会了解这么多,如果不是从他那里听来呢?他真是个非常出色的家伙,兄弟,一流的… —

. in his own way, of course. Now we are friends–see each other almost every day. —
当然,用他自己的方式。现在我们是朋友了–几乎每天都见面。 —

I have moved into this part, you know. I have only just moved. —
你知道的,我刚刚搬到这个地方。 —

I’ve been with him to Luise Ivanovna once or twice… . —
我和他一起去见过Luise Ivanovna一两次… —

Do you remember Luise, Luise Ivanovna?
你还记得Luise,Luise Ivanovna吗?

“Did I say anything in delirium?”
“我在谵妄时说了什么吗?”

“I should think so! You were beside yourself.”
“当然!你完全失去理智了。”

“What did I rave about?”
“我瞎扯了些什么呢?”

“What next? What did you rave about? What people do rave about… . —
“接下来呢?你瞎扯了一些什么呢?人们通常会瞎扯一些…。 —

Well, brother, now I must not lose time. To work.” —
好了,兄弟,现在我不能浪费时间。开始工作吧。 —

He got up from the table and took up his cap.
他从桌子边站起来拿起他的帽子。

“What did I rave about?”
“我瞎扯了些什么呢?”

“How he keeps on! Are you afraid of having let out some secret? Don’t worry yourself; —
“他还在纠缠!你是不是害怕说漏了什么秘密?别担心; —

you said nothing about a countess. But you said a lot about a bulldog, and about ear-rings and chains, and about Krestovsky Island, and some porter, and Nikodim Fomitch and Ilya Petrovitch, the assistant superintendent. —
你没有提到伯爵夫人。但你说了许多有关一只斗牛犬、耳环和项链、克雷斯托夫斯基岛、某个搬运工、尼科迪姆·弗米奇和伊利亚·彼得罗维奇,助理督察。 —

And another thing that was of special interest to you was your own sock. —
而对你特别感兴趣的另一件事就是你自己的袜子。 —

You whined, ‘Give me my sock.’ Zametov hunted all about your room for your socks, and with his own scented, ring-bedecked fingers he gave you the rag. —
你抱怨道:“给我我的袜子。”扎梅托在你的房间里四处寻找你的袜子,用他自己带有香味的戒指装饰的手指给了你那块破布。 —

And only then were you comforted, and for the next twenty-four hours you held the wretched thing in your hand; —
然后你才安心下来,接着过去的二十四个小时里你一直把这个可怜的东西握在手里; —

we could not get it from you. It is most likely somewhere under your quilt at this moment. —
我们无法把它从你手中夺走。很可能此刻它就在你的被子下面。 —

And then you asked so piteously for fringe for your trousers. —
然后你可怜地要求给裤子加草边。 —

We tried to find out what sort of fringe, but we could not make it out. Now to business! —
我们试图找出是什么样的草边,但搞不清楚。现在开始工作吧! —

Here are thirty-five roubles; I take ten of them, and shall give you an account of them in an hour or two. —
这里有三十五卢布;我拿十卢布,一两个小时后我会给你账目。 —

I will let Zossimov know at the same time, though he ought to have been here long ago, for it is nearly twelve. —
我会告诉佐西莫夫的,虽然他应该早就到了,因为已经快十二点了。 —

And you, Nastasya, look in pretty often while I am away, to see whether he wants a drink or anything else. —
你呢,娜斯塔西娅,我不在的时候要常来看看他,看他是不是需要喝水或其他什么。 —

And I will tell Pashenka what is wanted myself. Good-bye!”
我会亲自告诉帕什卡需要什么。再见!”

“He calls her Pashenka! Ah, he’s a deep one!” said Nastasya as he went out; —
“他叫她帕什卡!啊,他可真是个机灵人!”娜斯塔西娅在他走出去后说道; —

then she opened the door and stood listening, but could not resist running downstairs after him. —
然后她打开门站在那里听着,但还是情不自禁地跑下楼追出去。 —

She was very eager to hear what he would say to the landlady. —
显然她完全被拉兹罗米欣迷住了。 —

She was evidently quite fascinated by Razumihin.
她一离开房间,病人就像疯子一样甩掉被褥,跳下床来。

No sooner had she left the room than the sick man flung off the bedclothes and leapt out of bed like a madman. —
他焦躁地等着他们离开,好开始工作。 —

With burning, twitching impatience he had waited for them to be gone so that he might set to work. —
燃烧、抽搐的焦躁让他等不及他们离开以便开始工作。 —

But to what work? Now, as though to spite him, it eluded him.
但是要做什么工作呢?现在,仿佛是要跟他作对一样,它躲开了他。

“Good God, only tell me one thing: do they know of it yet or not? —
“天啊,只告诉我一件事:他们知道了吗,还是还不知道? —

What if they know it and are only pretending, mocking me while I am laid up, and then they will come in and tell me that it’s been discovered long ago and that they have only . —
如果他们知道了,只是假装不知道,趁着我躺着无法动弹,然后他们会进来告诉我早就被发现了,他们只是 … —

. . What am I to do now? That’s what I’ve forgotten, as though on purpose; —
我现在该怎么办?那是我忘记的事情,仿佛故意的; —

forgotten it all at once, I remembered a minute ago.”
瞬间忘记了,刚刚还能回忆起来。”

He stood in the middle of the room and gazed in miserable bewilderment about him; —
他站在房间中央,困惑不已地四处凝视; —

he walked to the door, opened it, listened; but that was not what he wanted. —
他走到门口,打开门,听着;但那不是他想要的。 —

Suddenly, as though recalling something, he rushed to the corner where there was a hole under the paper, began examining it, put his hand into the hole, fumbled–but that was not it. —
突然,仿佛想起了什么,他冲向房间一个角落,那里有一处墙纸底下的一个洞,开始检查,伸手进去,摸索着——但那不是。 —

He went to the stove, opened it and began rummaging in the ashes; —
他走向火炉,打开它,开始在灰烬里搜寻; —

the frayed edges of his trousers and the rags cut off his pocket were lying there just as he had thrown them. —
他的裤子磨损的边缘和口袋上剪掉的碎布碎片就在那儿,就像他扔进去的那样。 —

No one had looked, then! Then he remembered the sock about which Razumihin had just been telling him. —
没人看见吗?然后他想起了拉祖米欣刚刚告诉他的袜子。 —

Yes, there it lay on the sofa under the quilt, but it was so covered with dust and grime that Zametov could not have seen anything on it.
是的,在沙发上被被子遮盖着,但被尘土和污垢覆盖得严严实实,扎莫托夫不可能看见上面有什么。

“Bah, Zametov! The police office! And why am I sent for to the police office? Where’s the notice? —
“啊,扎莫托夫!警察局!我为什么被叫到警察局去?通知在哪里? —

Bah! I am mixing it up; that was then. I looked at my sock then, too, but now … —
啊!我搞混了;那是以前。我那时也看了我的袜子,但现在 … —

now I have been ill. But what did Zametov come for? Why did Razumihin bring him?” —
现在我病了。但扎莫托夫来干什么?为什么拉祖米欣会带他来?” —

he muttered, helplessly sitting on the sofa again. “What does it mean? —
他喃喃自语,无助地再次坐在沙发上。“这是什么意思? —

Am I still in delirium, or is it real? I believe it is real… . Ah, I remember; I must escape! —
我还在神志不清吗,还是这是真的?我相信这是真的……啊,我记得了;我必须逃走! —

Make haste to escape. Yes, I must, I must escape! Yes … but where? And where are my clothes? —
赶快逃走。是的,我必须,我必须逃走!是的……但去哪里?我的衣服在哪里? —

I’ve no boots. They’ve taken them away! They’ve hidden them! I understand! —
我的靴子没了。他们把它们拿走了!他们把它们藏起来了!我懂了! —

Ah, here is my coat–they passed that over! And here is money on the table, thank God! —
啊,这是我的外套——他们放过了!桌子上还有钱,谢天谢地! —

And here’s the I O U … I’ll take the money and go and take another lodging. They won’t find me! —
这里还有欠条……我会拿着钱去找另一个住所。他们找不到我! —

… Yes, but the address bureau? They’ll find me, Razumihin will find me. —
……是的,但地址簿呢?Razumihin会找到我的。 —

Better escape altogether … far away … to America, and let them do their worst! —
最好彻底逃走……远走……去美国,让他们尽情报复! —

And take the I O U … it would be of use there… . What else shall I take? —
带上这张欠条……在那会派上用场……还能带什么? —

They think I am ill! They don’t know that I can walk, ha-ha-ha! —
他们认为我病了!他们不知道我可以走路,哈哈哈! —

I could see by their eyes that they know all about it! If only I could get downstairs! —
我可以从他们的眼神看出他们全知道!要是我能下楼就好了! —

And what if they have set a watch there–policemen! What’s this tea? —
要是他们在那里设了盯梢——警察!这是什么茶? —

Ah, and here is beer left, half a bottle, cold!”
啊,这里还剩啤酒,半瓶,凉着呢!”

He snatched up the bottle, which still contained a glassful of beer, and gulped it down with relish, as though quenching a flame in his breast. —
他抓起那瓶仍然有一杯啤酒的酒瓶,并愉快地一口气喝光,像是在熄灭胸中的火焰一样。 —

But in another minute the beer had gone to his head, and a faint and even pleasant shiver ran down his spine. —
但还没过一分钟,啤酒已经上头了,一股微弱而甚至愉快的颤栗沿他的脊柱传来。 —

He lay down and pulled the quilt over him. —
他躺下来,拉过被子盖在身上。 —

His sick and incoherent thoughts grew more and more disconnected, and soon a light, pleasant drowsiness came upon him. —
他病态而不连贯的思绪变得越来越支离破碎,很快他陷入了一种轻松愉快的昏睡。 —

With a sense of comfort he nestled his head into the pillow, wrapped more closely about him the soft, wadded quilt which had replaced the old, ragged greatcoat, sighed softly and sank into a deep, sound, refreshing sleep.
他感到一种舒适,把头埋进枕头里,裹紧那条软软的、填充的被褥,代替了旧的破烂大衣,轻轻叹了口气,沉入了深沉、安详、令人神清气爽的睡眠。

He woke up, hearing someone come in. He opened his eyes and saw Razumihin standing in the doorway, uncertain whether to come in or not. —
他醒来,听到有人进来了。他睁开眼睛,看见拉兹姆金站在门口,不确定是该进来还是不进来。 —

Raskolnikov sat up quickly on the sofa and gazed at him, as though trying to recall something.
拉斯科尔尼科夫迅速从沙发上坐起,凝视着他,仿佛想起了什么事情。

“Ah, you are not asleep! Here I am! Nastasya, bring in the parcel!” —
“啊,你没睡着!我来了!娜斯塔西娅,把包裹拿进来吧!” —

Razumihin shouted down the stairs. “You shall have the account directly.”
拉兹姆金朝楼下喊道。“账目很快就会给你。”

“What time is it?” asked Raskolnikov, looking round uneasily.
“现在几点了?” 拉斯科尔尼科夫不安地环顾四周。

“Yes, you had a fine sleep, brother, it’s almost evening, it will be six o’clock directly. —
“是的,你睡得很香,兄弟,几乎都傍晚了,马上六点了。” —

You have slept more than six hours.”
你已经睡了超过六个小时。

“Good heavens! Have I?”
“天啊!我睡了这么久吗?”

“And why not? It will do you good. What’s the hurry? A tryst, is it? We’ve all time before us. —
“为什么不呢?对你有好处。有什么急事吗?我们还有很多时间。 —

I’ve been waiting for the last three hours for you; I’ve been up twice and found you asleep. —
我已经等了你三个小时了;我去过两次,结果你在睡觉。 —

I’ve called on Zossimov twice; not at home, only fancy! But no matter, he will turn up. —
我去找佐西莫夫两次;他不在家,真难想象!但没关系,他会回来的。 —

And I’ve been out on my own business, too. You know I’ve been moving to-day, moving with my uncle. —
我也有自己的事情要处理。你知道我今天搬家了,和我叔叔一起搬。 —

I have an uncle living with me now. But that’s no matter, to business. —
我现在和我叔叔住在一起。不过没关系,还是谈谈正事吧。 —

Give me the parcel, Nastasya. We will open it directly. —
把包裹给我,娜斯塔西娅。我们马上打开。 —

And how do you feel now, brother?”
你现在感觉怎么样,兄弟?”

“I am quite well, I am not ill. Razumihin, have you been here long?”
“我很好,我没有病。拉兹米欣,你等了很久了吗?”

“I tell you I’ve been waiting for the last three hours.”
“我告诉你我等了三个小时了。”

“No, before.”
“不,之前。”

“How do you mean?”
“你是什么意思?”

“How long have you been coming here?”
“你来这里多久了?”

“Why I told you all about it this morning. Don’t you remember?”
“为什么?我今天早上不是告诉你了吗?你不记得吗?”

Raskolnikov pondered. The morning seemed like a dream to him. —
拉斯科尔尼科夫沉思着。对他来说,早晨就像是一个梦。 —

He could not remember alone, and looked inquiringly at Razumihin.
他无法独自回忆起来,然后疑惑地看着拉祖米欣。

“Hm!” said the latter, “he has forgotten. I fancied then that you were not quite yourself. —
“嗯!“后者说道,”他忘了。我当时觉得你不太正常。 —

Now you are better for your sleep… . You really look much better. —
现在你睡醒了好多了。… 你看起来真的好多了。 —

First-rate! Well, to business. Look here, my dear boy.”
首屈一指!好了,谈正事。听着,我亲爱的孩子。”

He began untying the bundle, which evidently interested him.
他开始解开捆绑物,显然对其中的东西很感兴趣。

“Believe me, brother, this is something specially near my heart. For we must make a man of you. —
“相信我,兄弟,这是我特别看重的东西。因为我们必须让你成为一个男人。 —

Let’s begin from the top. Do you see this cap?” —
我们从头开始。看到这顶帽子了吗?” —

he said, taking out of the bundle a fairly good though cheap and ordinary cap. —
他说着,从捆绑物中取出一个质量还不错但廉价普通的帽子。 —

“Let me try it on.”
“让我试试。”.

“Presently, afterwards,” said Raskolnikov, waving it off pettishly.
“稍后,后面再说,“拉斯科尔尼科夫不耐烦地挥挥手。

“Come, Rodya, my boy, don’t oppose it, afterwards will be too late; —
“来吧,罗杰亚,我的孩子,别反对了,后面就来不及了; —

and I shan’t sleep all night, for I bought it by guess, without measure. Just right!” —
我晚上根本睡不了觉,我是凭感觉买的,没有量过。正合适!” —

he cried triumphantly, fitting it on, “just your size! —
他得意地喊道,戴上帽子:”刚好合适! —

A proper head-covering is the first thing in dress and a recommendation in its own way. —
一个合适的头饰是着装中的第一要素,也是一种个人推荐方式。 —

Tolstyakov, a friend of mine, is always obliged to take off his pudding basin when he goes into any public place where other people wear their hats or caps. —
我的朋友托尔斯季亚科夫进入任何其他人戴帽子或帽子的公共场所时,总是不得不摘下他的布丁盆帽。 —

People think he does it from slavish politeness, but it’s simply because he is ashamed of his bird’s nest; —
人们认为他这样做是出于卑躬屈膝的礼貌,但实际上只是因为他对自己的鸟窝感到羞愧; —

he is such a boastful fellow! Look, Nastasya, here are two specimens of headgear: —
他是个自吹自擂的家伙!看,娜斯塔西娅,这里有两个头饰样本: —

this Palmerston”–he took from the corner Raskolnikov’s old, battered hat, which for some unknown reason, he called a Palmerston–“or this jewel! —
这个”帕尔默斯顿”——他从角落里拿起了拉斯科尔尼科夫那顶又旧又破的帽子,不知为何他称之为帕尔默斯顿——”或者这个宝贝! —

Guess the price, Rodya, what do you suppose I paid for it, Nastasya!” —
罗狄亚,你猜这个价钱,娜斯塔西娅!” —

he said, turning to her, seeing that Raskolnikov did not speak.
他说着,转向她,看到拉斯科尔尼科夫没有说话。

“Twenty copecks, no more, I dare say,” answered Nastasya.
“二十戈比,不止,我敢说”,娜斯塔西娅回答。

“Twenty copecks, silly!” he cried, offended. —
“二十戈比,傻瓜!”他生气地喊道。 —

“Why, nowadays you would cost more than that–eighty copecks! —
“为什么,现在你花不了那么少——八十戈比! —

And that only because it has been worn. And it’s bought on condition that when’s it’s worn out, they will give you another next year. —
而且这还只是因为它已经穿过了。而且是有条件购买的,穿坏了就会在明年给你另一顶。 —

Yes, on my word! Well, now let us pass to the United States of America, as they called them at school. —
是的,我发誓!嗯,现在让我们来谈谈美利坚合众国,就像他们在学校里称呼他们的那样。 —

I assure you I am proud of these breeches,” and he exhibited to Raskolnikov a pair of light, summer trousers of grey woollen material. —
我向你保证,我为这条裤子感到自豪”,他给拉斯科尔尼科夫展示了一条淡灰色羊毛夏季长裤。 —

“No holes, no spots, and quite respectable, although a little worn; —
“没破洞,没有污点,样子非常体面,尽管有点破旧; —

and a waistcoat to match, quite in the fashion. —
还有一件相配的背心,非常时尚。 —

And its being worn really is an improvement, it’s softer, smoother… . —
而且穿上后真的更好,更柔软,更光滑…… —

You see, Rodya, to my thinking, the great thing for getting on in the world is always to keep to the seasons; —
你知道,罗杰,我认为在世界上成功的重要一点就是要顺应季节; —

if you don’t insist on having asparagus in January, you keep your money in your purse; —
如果你不坚持要在一月份吃芦笋,你就能省下一些钱; —

and it’s the same with this purchase. It’s summer now, so I’ve been buying summer things– warmer materials will be wanted for autumn, so you will have to throw these away in any case . —
而这个购买也同样道理。现在是夏天,所以我一直在买夏天的东西–秋天会需要更暖和的材料,所以无论如何你都会扔掉这些。 —

. . especially as they will be done for by then from their own lack of coherence if not your higher standard of luxury. —
特别是到时它们自己由于缺乏协调性或者你更高的奢华标准而会报废。 —

Come, price them! What do you say? Two roubles twenty-five copecks! And remember the condition: —
来吧,给个价格!你说呢?两卢布二十五戈比!而且记住这个条件: —

if you wear these out, you will have another suit for nothing! —
如果你把它们穿坏了,你就可以免费得到另一套衣服! —

They only do business on that system at Fedyaev’s; —
他们在费杰耶夫家都是用这套系统做生意的。 —

if you’ve bought a thing once, you are satisfied for life, for you will never go there again of your own free will. —
如果你买过一件东西,你会终身满足,因为你永远不会再主动去那里。 —

Now for the boots. What do you say? You see that they are a bit worn, but they’ll last a couple of months, for it’s foreign work and foreign leather; —
现在是靴子的事。你觉得怎么样?你看它们有点磨损,但可以穿几个月,因为这是外国的工作和外国的皮革; —

the secretary of the English Embassy sold them last week–he had only worn them six days, but he was very short of cash. —
英国大使馆的秘书上周卖给了他们–他只穿了六天,但非常缺钱。 —

Price–a rouble and a half. A bargain?”
价格–一卢布五十戈比。真便宜吧?”

“But perhaps they won’t fit,” observed Nastasya.
“但也许它们不合适。”娜斯塔霞说。

“Not fit? Just look!” and he pulled out of his pocket Raskolnikov’s old, broken boot, stiffly coated with dry mud. —
“不合适?你看!”他从口袋里掏出了拉斯科尔尼科夫旧的、破的靴子,上面沾满了干硬的泥巴。 —

“I did not go empty- handed–they took the size from this monster. We all did our best. —
“我可不是空着手来的–他们是根据这个怪兽的尺寸来的。我们都尽了最大努力。 —

And as to your linen, your landlady has seen to that. —
至于你的亚麻布,你的女房东已经弄好了。 —

Here, to begin with are three shirts, hempen but with a fashionable front… . —
首先给你三件衬衣,麻质的,但有时髦的正面……。 —

Well now then, eighty copecks the cap, two roubles twenty-five copecks the suit–together three roubles five copecks–a rouble and a half for the boots–for, you see, they are very good–and that makes four roubles fifty-five copecks; —
好了,帽子八十戈比,西装两卢布二十五戈比–加起来三卢布五戈比–靴子一卢布半–因为你看,它们很好–总共是四卢布五十五戈比; —

five roubles for the underclothes–they were bought in the lo– which makes exactly nine roubles fifty-five copecks. —
内衣五卢布–它们是在市场上买的–总共是九卢布五十五戈比。 —

Forty-five copecks change in coppers. Will you take it? —
零钱是四十五戈比。你要收下吗? —

And so, Rodya, you are set up with a complete new rig-out, for your overcoat will serve, and even has a style of its own. —
因此,罗杰,你有了一套全新的行头,因为你的大衣还可以穿,而且还有自己的风格。 —

That comes from getting one’s clothes from Sharmer’s! —
这得益于从沙默尔那里买衣服! —

As for your socks and other things, I leave them to you; we’ve twenty-five roubles left. —
至于袜子和其他东西,就看你自己了;我们还有二十五卢布。 —

And as for Pashenka and paying for your lodging, don’t you worry. —
至于帕申卡和支付住宿费用,你不用担心。 —

I tell you she’ll trust you for anything. —
我告诉你她对你会什么都信任。 —

And now, brother, let me change your linen, for I daresay you will throw off your illness with your shirt.”
兄弟,让我给你换换衬衫,我敢说你只需要换换衬衫就能让疾病消失。

“Let me be! I don’t want to!” Raskolnikov waved him off. —
“别碰我!我不想要!” 拉斯科尔尼科夫挥手拒绝。 —

He had listened with disgust to Razumihin’s efforts to be playful about his purchases.
他厌恶地听着拉祖米欣试图在他的购买上开玩笑。

“Come, brother, don’t tell me I’ve been trudging around for nothing,” Razumihin insisted. —
“来吧,兄弟,别告诉我我白费力气走了一圈,” 拉祖米欣坚持道。 —

“Nastasya, don’t be bashful, but help me–that’s it,” and in spite of Raskolnikov’s resistance he changed his linen. —
“娜斯塔西娅,别腼腆,帮我一下–就这样,” 尽管拉斯科尔尼科夫抵抗了,他还是换了衬衫。 —

The latter sank back on the pillows and for a minute or two said nothing.
后者瘫倒在枕头上,沉默了一两分钟。

“It will be long before I get rid of them,” he thought. —
“要很久我才能摆脱它们,” 他想。 —

“What money was all that bought with?” he asked at last, gazing at the wall.
“这一切用的是什么钱买的?” 他最后问道,盯着墙看。

“Money? Why, your own, what the messenger brought from Vahrushin, your mother sent it. —
“钱?是你自己的,快递员从瓦鲁辛那里拿到的,是你妈妈寄来的。 —

Have you forgotten that, too?”
你也忘了吗?”

“I remember now,” said Raskolnikov after a long, sullen silence. —
“我现在记得了,” 拉斯科尔尼科夫在长时间的愠怒沉默后说道。 —

Razumihin looked at him, frowning and uneasy.
拉祖米欣看着他,皱着眉头,不安。

The door opened and a tall, stout man whose appearance seemed familiar to Raskolnikov came in.
门打开了,一个高大而壮实的男人走了进来,看起来熟悉的样子让拉斯科尔尼科夫觉得似曾相识。

①法文avenante的音译,“迷人”,“讨人喜欢”之意。
①法文avenante的音译,“迷人”,“讨人喜欢”之意。

……”
……”

①英文States(合众国)与俄文URKVW(裤子)发音相近。
①英文States(合众国)与俄文URKVW(裤子)发音相近。